|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbol of the crossing in this section when the apprentices and others become familiar with the third attention at the Eagle's feet?
2. What is the animal which Carlos and La Gorda see when they are dreaming together?
3. The new band of warriors does not seem to be able to break through to the ________ side.
4. When Carlos feels an intense itch near his body, Zuleica tells him to play it like a ___________.
5. The women tell Vicente that one must protect, but not ___________ one's person as they chide him for his snobbishness.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is guarding the rural house in central Mexico, according to the story?
2. What propels La Gorda and Carlos to experience extraordinary clarity and speed up of time?
3. What does Don Juan give as a warning when he gives Carlos to Zuleica?
4. How might the structure of Naguals be described, according to the story and to Don Juan?
5. How does Don Juan approach the woman who he feels is a double woman?
6. What happens during the time when La Gorda and Carlos spontaneously enter their dreaming bodies?
7. What does Don Juan's benefactor make him do at the start of this section of the book?
8. What happens in relation to action when a person is on the left side?
9. What is the memory that La Gorda has about Silvio when she is not dreaming?
10. What is the first of the not-doings which Carlos has to do according to Silvio as he instructs Carlos and La Gorda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
Essay Topic 2
When Carlos and La Gorda immerse themselves in dreaming, their fear and distrust lifts.
Part 1: Why do you think that fear and distrust leave as a result of dreaming together?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be in a relationship with others and not have some fear or distrust?
Part 3: How do you think your life would change without fear or distrust?
Essay Topic 3
Attention makes the world, Carlos and La Gorda understand this through their teachings.
Part 1: Why do you think that attention is what makes the world?
Part 2: Can there ever be a lack of attention in the world? What would happen?
Part 3: How do you think that your attention wavers in the world? Or is it always focused?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)