|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of wasting time, Don Juan decides to confront his apprentices with difficult situations and then forces them to ____________.
2. After Carlos and La Gorda collapse into the dreaming position, they awaken where they begin, with identical ____________.
3. Crossing over to freedom is not ___________, but a preservation of awareness that is normally lost at death.
4. What is the animal which Carlos and La Gorda see when they are dreaming together?
5. Once Don Juan has taught Carlos about ____________, he gives Carlos to Zuleica to learn more.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final task of Don Juan as it is outlined in this book's section?
2. What does the woman tell Carlos after chiding him for his snobbishness while sitting on the bench?
3. What does Don Juan reveal to Carlos before one of his sessions with Florinda?
4. How might the structure of Naguals be described, according to the story and to Don Juan?
5. What propels La Gorda and Carlos to experience extraordinary clarity and speed up of time?
6. What is the sensation that Zuleica elicits in Carlos when they are working together?
7. Why does Zuleica have to work quickly to teach the idea of second attention to the apprentices?
8. What comes into focus when La Gorda slims down from her previously larger figure?
9. What is the difference between men and women, according to the lifestyle of Florinda?
10. What does Florinda teach to the Genaros when they are given to her for training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos is shocked by himself when he takes command of the apprentices during one point of the story.
Part 1: Why does taking command feel surprising to Carlos?
Part 2: Does Carlos seem to be a person who is going to be comfortable with being in command?
Part 3: Why do you think that it's hard to be in command of others who are on the same level as you?
Essay Topic 2
The apprentices are seen as having to work together during their lessons and in their travels.
Part 1: Why do you think that the apprentices have to work together in their studies?
Part 2: Could an apprentice teach themselves what they need to learn? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you prefer to study in groups or by yourself? Why?
Essay Topic 3
La Gorda decides that they need to have a leader among the apprentices so that they might continue to learn, it seems.
Part 1: What is the importance of a leader among those who are trying to learn?
Part 2: Do you think that each of your classes has a leader among the class?
Part 3: How do you choose or designate a leader in your own life?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)