|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carlos practices on every volitional movement, minimizing _____________ as he does so.
2. Carlos had only ever been between parallel lines under the influence of ___________________, he thought.
3. How many principles of stalking does Florinda say that she will be teaching Carlos as he continues working with her?
4. Don Juan dispenses with the ritual, but insists on an omen - _______________.
5. The warrior's _______ ascribes the destiny of all living beings to the Eagle which feeds on awareness.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Carlos when he is undergoing his westerly encounter?
2. What does Zuleica's training of Carlos and La Gorda convince them both of, according to the story?
3. What propels La Gorda and Carlos to experience extraordinary clarity and speed up of time?
4. What is the sensation that Zuleica elicits in Carlos when they are working together?
5. What comes into focus when La Gorda slims down from her previously larger figure?
6. What is the first of the not-doings which Carlos has to do according to Silvio as he instructs Carlos and La Gorda?
7. What does Silvio begin to realize about the group of people which has been gathered?
8. How does Don Juan approach the woman who he feels is a double woman?
9. What happens when Don Juan and the others explode from within when they are undergoing their training?
10. What does Florinda teach to the Genaros when they are given to her for training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Juan has been training Carlos and the others to be warriors in the world.
Part 1: Why do you think that being a warrior is an important role? Do you think it is?
Part 2: How do you think modern day warriors are trained? Are they always soldiers?
Part 3: What do you think would happen if there were no warriors in the world?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos has had experiences in the past which were induced by drugs, though now he is having similar experiences without drugs.
Part 1: What do you think the value of using those hallucinogenic drugs may have been for Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that drugs are always necessary in order to introduce a person to new experiences?
Part 3: Why do you think that Carlos is now able to have the same experiences he's had in the past, but without drugs?
Essay Topic 3
Castaneda seems to be a student of Don Juan's who is never quite done learning with him, even if Don Juan is gone.
Part 1: Do you think that learning is ever something which ends?
Part 2: Why do you think that Castaneda has to continue to learn in his life?
Part 3: In what ways do you think that you still have learning to do? Or are you satisfied with all you have learned so far?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)