|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. La Gorda and Carlos both remember ____________ moving them from the right side to the left side.
2. The Nagual woman is taken to the other world to serve as a ___________ to the hidden opening, ensuring the Nagual man leads.
3. Carlos had only ever been between parallel lines under the influence of ___________________, he thought.
4. What happens to Celestino when he decides to accompany Florinda when she decides to go back for another visit?
5. Who is the slender, radiant old child that Carlos meets when he comes up to a rural house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the warning that Carlos receives when he is to meet the warriors of Don Juan?
2. Why does Zuleica have to work quickly to teach the idea of second attention to the apprentices?
3. What is the first of the not-doings which Carlos has to do according to Silvio as he instructs Carlos and La Gorda?
4. What happens to Carlos when he is undergoing his westerly encounter?
5. How might the structure of Naguals be described, according to the story and to Don Juan?
6. What is the second series of not-doings which Silvio introduces to La Gorda and to Carlos?
7. What does Silvio begin to realize about the group of people which has been gathered?
8. What happens during the time when La Gorda and Carlos spontaneously enter their dreaming bodies?
9. What propels La Gorda and Carlos to experience extraordinary clarity and speed up of time?
10. What does Florinda teach to the Genaros when they are given to her for training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Castaneda seems to be a student of Don Juan's who is never quite done learning with him, even if Don Juan is gone.
Part 1: Do you think that learning is ever something which ends?
Part 2: Why do you think that Castaneda has to continue to learn in his life?
Part 3: In what ways do you think that you still have learning to do? Or are you satisfied with all you have learned so far?
Essay Topic 2
The apprentices are seen as having to work together during their lessons and in their travels.
Part 1: Why do you think that the apprentices have to work together in their studies?
Part 2: Could an apprentice teach themselves what they need to learn? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you prefer to study in groups or by yourself? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos realizes that there is a Nagual Woman who is also a part of Don Juan.
Part 1: Why do you think it's possible that there is a female counterpart to Don Juan?
Part 2: Is it always necessary to have a female balance to the male energy?
Part 3: How do you think Carlos' training might have been different without the presence of women?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)