|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Don Juan has taught Carlos about ____________, he gives Carlos to Zuleica to learn more.
2. After Carlos and La Gorda collapse into the dreaming position, they awaken where they begin, with identical ____________.
3. The controlled folly techniques have everyone thinking that ____________ is Pablito's mother.
4. Another principle of stalking is to relax, fear nothing, and let the ____________ guide the stalker in his movement.
5. __________ is mortified being taken daily to Mass, when he is with his benefactor.
Short Essay Questions
1. What comes into focus when La Gorda slims down from her previously larger figure?
2. What happens in relation to action when a person is on the left side?
3. What is the sensation that Zuleica elicits in Carlos when they are working together?
4. What is the warning that Carlos receives when he is to meet the warriors of Don Juan?
5. What does Florinda do when Carlos panics after being asked about Don Juan's teachings?
6. What happens to Don Juan in order to help to cure him of lust during this apprenticeship?
7. What does Zuleica's training of Carlos and La Gorda convince them both of, according to the story?
8. What does Don Juan's benefactor make him do at the start of this section of the book?
9. What happens during the time when La Gorda and Carlos spontaneously enter their dreaming bodies?
10. What does Florinda teach to the Genaros when they are given to her for training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreaming is an important part of the work that Carlos and La Gorda do with each other and within themselves.
Part 1: Why do you think that dreaming is a time when a lot of important work can be done by the apprentices?
Part 2: Do you think that your own dreams are able to help you learn about your life?
Part 3: How do you think that dreaming could help the apprentices to learn more about their power?
Essay Topic 2
The apprentices are seen as having to work together during their lessons and in their travels.
Part 1: Why do you think that the apprentices have to work together in their studies?
Part 2: Could an apprentice teach themselves what they need to learn? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you prefer to study in groups or by yourself? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)