|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the animal which Carlos and La Gorda see when they are dreaming together?
2. Who is the one who uses sorcerer's arts in order to abduct Olinda, while another plays the rescuer?
3. Zuleica causes Carlos to have the sensation of sweeping the ____________ from the midpoint of his body.
4. It is also imperative that stalkers compress ____________, as every second counts.
5. Another principle of stalking is to relax, fear nothing, and let the ____________ guide the stalker in his movement.
Short Essay Questions
1. What propels La Gorda and Carlos to experience extraordinary clarity and speed up of time?
2. What is the second series of not-doings which Silvio introduces to La Gorda and to Carlos?
3. What does Silvio begin to realize about the group of people which has been gathered?
4. What comes into focus when La Gorda slims down from her previously larger figure?
5. What does Zuleica's training of Carlos and La Gorda convince them both of, according to the story?
6. What happens when Don Juan and the others explode from within when they are undergoing their training?
7. What does the woman tell Carlos after chiding him for his snobbishness while sitting on the bench?
8. How might the structure of Naguals be described, according to the story and to Don Juan?
9. What happens to Carlos when he is undergoing his westerly encounter?
10. What is the first of the not-doings which Carlos has to do according to Silvio as he instructs Carlos and La Gorda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
La Gorda tells Carlos that losing the human form brings the freedom to remember oneself.
Part 1: Why do you think that losing the human form brings the freedom to remember oneself?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of losing one's human form? Does this mean death to you?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to lose their human form without dying?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos and La Gorda continue to work together, remembering things which they didn't realize they had forgotten.
Part 1: Why do you think certain memories only come up at certain times?
Part 2: Do you think that you have certain memories which you will not be able to remember in the present, but that you will be able to remember in the future?
Part 3: How do you think that you could make old memories resurface in your own mind?
Essay Topic 3
Attention makes the world, Carlos and La Gorda understand this through their teachings.
Part 1: Why do you think that attention is what makes the world?
Part 2: Can there ever be a lack of attention in the world? What would happen?
Part 3: How do you think that your attention wavers in the world? Or is it always focused?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)