|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all of the members of Don Juan's party have to be experts at before they can seek out a Nagual woman?
2. What begins to form as the itch begins to grow nearer to him and to his body?
3. Zuleica is an effective guide into the __________ attention, and is able to work quickly because of a schedule need.
4. ___________ house is a locus of power, a place where La Gorda and Carlos return after coming back through the fog bank.
5. Florinda's first reaction and judgment of Carlos is that he appears to be ____________ in his learning and mannerisms.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second series of not-doings which Silvio introduces to La Gorda and to Carlos?
2. What does Florinda do when Carlos panics after being asked about Don Juan's teachings?
3. What does Don Juan describe as being the warrior's rule?
4. What happens to Don Juan in order to help to cure him of lust during this apprenticeship?
5. Who is guarding the rural house in central Mexico, according to the story?
6. What is the warning that Carlos receives when he is to meet the warriors of Don Juan?
7. What does the woman tell Carlos after chiding him for his snobbishness while sitting on the bench?
8. What propels La Gorda and Carlos to experience extraordinary clarity and speed up of time?
9. What is the sensation that Zuleica elicits in Carlos when they are working together?
10. What does Don Juan reveal to Carlos before one of his sessions with Florinda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pablito runs away to Tula to die, but Carlos does not think that this needs to happen, so he runs after him in order to help.
Part 1: Do you think that Carlos was correct in running after a person who has decided to die?
Part 2: What would you have done if one of your friends had told you they wanted to die?
Part 3: How do you think that Pablito felt to have someone else come after him during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos eventually learns that he must leave La Gorda in order to focus on his own attention.
Part 1: Do you think that it's necessary to learn about one's self alone?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos felt upon having to leave La Gorda for a while?
Part 3: Why do you think the timing was right for Carlos to be leaving La Gorda? Or wasn't it?
Essay Topic 3
The apprentices are seen as having to work together during their lessons and in their travels.
Part 1: Why do you think that the apprentices have to work together in their studies?
Part 2: Could an apprentice teach themselves what they need to learn? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you prefer to study in groups or by yourself? Why?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)