|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the one who uses sorcerer's arts in order to abduct Olinda, while another plays the rescuer?
2. ___________ house is a locus of power, a place where La Gorda and Carlos return after coming back through the fog bank.
3. Warriors must break the _________ from within when it is the proper time to emerge from their cocoons.
4. What is the animal which Carlos and La Gorda see when they are dreaming together?
5. Crossing over to freedom is not ___________, but a preservation of awareness that is normally lost at death.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second series of not-doings which Silvio introduces to La Gorda and to Carlos?
2. What happens during the time when La Gorda and Carlos spontaneously enter their dreaming bodies?
3. What is the memory that La Gorda has about Silvio when she is not dreaming?
4. How does Don Juan approach the woman who he feels is a double woman?
5. What propels La Gorda and Carlos to experience extraordinary clarity and speed up of time?
6. Who is guarding the rural house in central Mexico, according to the story?
7. What does Florinda do when Carlos panics after being asked about Don Juan's teachings?
8. What is the warning that Carlos receives when he is to meet the warriors of Don Juan?
9. Why does Zuleica have to work quickly to teach the idea of second attention to the apprentices?
10. What does Don Juan's benefactor make him do at the start of this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos decides to act as though nothing is wrong, since he feels this is his duty.
Part 1: Do you think it is right to act as though nothing is wrong in your life, even if it is?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos should have acted when he returned to Los Angeles?
Part 3: Why do you think Carlos feels it is his duty to act as though nothing is wrong?
Essay Topic 2
When Carlos and La Gorda immerse themselves in dreaming, their fear and distrust lifts.
Part 1: Why do you think that fear and distrust leave as a result of dreaming together?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be in a relationship with others and not have some fear or distrust?
Part 3: How do you think your life would change without fear or distrust?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos has had experiences in the past which were induced by drugs, though now he is having similar experiences without drugs.
Part 1: What do you think the value of using those hallucinogenic drugs may have been for Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that drugs are always necessary in order to introduce a person to new experiences?
Part 3: Why do you think that Carlos is now able to have the same experiences he's had in the past, but without drugs?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)