|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Florinda teaches the Genaros advanced ____________, including techniques of controlled folly.
2. The women tell Vicente that one must protect, but not ___________ one's person as they chide him for his snobbishness.
3. Don Juan shoves Carlos into the fog wall to attain his keenest state of ____________ before meeting with Florinda again.
4. Who is the person who sees that the sisters and the Genaros are not inept, but that Carlos is not the right Nagual?
5. Once Don Juan has taught Carlos about ____________, he gives Carlos to Zuleica to learn more.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the time when La Gorda and Carlos spontaneously enter their dreaming bodies?
2. What is the final task of Don Juan as it is outlined in this book's section?
3. What comes into focus when La Gorda slims down from her previously larger figure?
4. What is the second series of not-doings which Silvio introduces to La Gorda and to Carlos?
5. How might the structure of Naguals be described, according to the story and to Don Juan?
6. What happens in relation to action when a person is on the left side?
7. What does Florinda do when Carlos panics after being asked about Don Juan's teachings?
8. What is the first of the not-doings which Carlos has to do according to Silvio as he instructs Carlos and La Gorda?
9. Why does Zuleica have to work quickly to teach the idea of second attention to the apprentices?
10. What happens to Don Juan in order to help to cure him of lust during this apprenticeship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos realizes that there is a Nagual Woman who is also a part of Don Juan.
Part 1: Why do you think it's possible that there is a female counterpart to Don Juan?
Part 2: Is it always necessary to have a female balance to the male energy?
Part 3: How do you think Carlos' training might have been different without the presence of women?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos eventually learns that he must leave La Gorda in order to focus on his own attention.
Part 1: Do you think that it's necessary to learn about one's self alone?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos felt upon having to leave La Gorda for a while?
Part 3: Why do you think the timing was right for Carlos to be leaving La Gorda? Or wasn't it?
Essay Topic 3
Castaneda seems to be a student of Don Juan's who is never quite done learning with him, even if Don Juan is gone.
Part 1: Do you think that learning is ever something which ends?
Part 2: Why do you think that Castaneda has to continue to learn in his life?
Part 3: In what ways do you think that you still have learning to do? Or are you satisfied with all you have learned so far?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)