|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Each _________ is taught heightened awareness by his/her warrior counterpart so that he/she might teach others.
2. When Carlos feels an intense itch near his body, Zuleica tells him to play it like a ___________.
3. Florinda teaches the Genaros advanced ____________, including techniques of controlled folly.
4. Carlos is told that he must meet with Don Juan's __________, though they will not be able to kill him.
5. How long does it take for La Gorda and Carlos to understand what has happened to them in their dream times together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan describe as being the warrior's rule?
2. What is the final task of Don Juan as it is outlined in this book's section?
3. What does the woman tell Carlos after chiding him for his snobbishness while sitting on the bench?
4. How can one be sure that a Nagual man truly leads others?
5. What happens to Don Juan in order to help to cure him of lust during this apprenticeship?
6. What does Zuleica's training of Carlos and La Gorda convince them both of, according to the story?
7. What is the sensation that Zuleica elicits in Carlos when they are working together?
8. What is the memory that La Gorda has about Silvio when she is not dreaming?
9. What is the warning that Carlos receives when he is to meet the warriors of Don Juan?
10. What comes into focus when La Gorda slims down from her previously larger figure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos eventually learns that he must leave La Gorda in order to focus on his own attention.
Part 1: Do you think that it's necessary to learn about one's self alone?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos felt upon having to leave La Gorda for a while?
Part 3: Why do you think the timing was right for Carlos to be leaving La Gorda? Or wasn't it?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos decides to act as though nothing is wrong, since he feels this is his duty.
Part 1: Do you think it is right to act as though nothing is wrong in your life, even if it is?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos should have acted when he returned to Los Angeles?
Part 3: Why do you think Carlos feels it is his duty to act as though nothing is wrong?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos has had experiences in the past which were induced by drugs, though now he is having similar experiences without drugs.
Part 1: What do you think the value of using those hallucinogenic drugs may have been for Carlos?
Part 2: Do you think that drugs are always necessary in order to introduce a person to new experiences?
Part 3: Why do you think that Carlos is now able to have the same experiences he's had in the past, but without drugs?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)