|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. No one, it seems, is worried about ___________ survival, as this person has been protected in many ways.
2. ___________ house is a locus of power, a place where La Gorda and Carlos return after coming back through the fog bank.
3. What does Olinda need to learn in order to quickly become the Nagual woman of Don Juan?
4. __________ is mortified being taken daily to Mass, when he is with his benefactor.
5. One of the stalker rules is to try to unravel the mysteries without hope of ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Don Juan and the others explode from within when they are undergoing their training?
2. What does Don Juan describe as being the warrior's rule?
3. What is the sensation that Zuleica elicits in Carlos when they are working together?
4. What happens to Don Juan in order to help to cure him of lust during this apprenticeship?
5. How might the structure of Naguals be described, according to the story and to Don Juan?
6. What does Don Juan give as a warning when he gives Carlos to Zuleica?
7. What is the difference between men and women, according to the lifestyle of Florinda?
8. What does Zuleica's training of Carlos and La Gorda convince them both of, according to the story?
9. What does Don Juan reveal to Carlos before one of his sessions with Florinda?
10. What happens to Carlos when he is undergoing his westerly encounter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos realizes that there is a Nagual Woman who is also a part of Don Juan.
Part 1: Why do you think it's possible that there is a female counterpart to Don Juan?
Part 2: Is it always necessary to have a female balance to the male energy?
Part 3: How do you think Carlos' training might have been different without the presence of women?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos accepts the fate to walk away from the others when he is told that he must, as this is the way of a warrior.
Part 1: Why do you think that Carlos didn't fight the dismissal by the other apprentices?
Part 2: Do you think you would have argued if you were in Carlos' shoes?
Part 3: How do you think you would feel if someone suddenly asked you to leave your position at work or at school?
Essay Topic 3
When Carlos and La Gorda immerse themselves in dreaming, their fear and distrust lifts.
Part 1: Why do you think that fear and distrust leave as a result of dreaming together?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to be in a relationship with others and not have some fear or distrust?
Part 3: How do you think your life would change without fear or distrust?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)