|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings anguish to Carlos and to La Gorda as they are performing their tasks?
2. Olinda goes ahead to ___________ as Don Juan and his warriors collect a warrior band together.
3. ___________ house is a locus of power, a place where La Gorda and Carlos return after coming back through the fog bank.
4. The art of stalking includes choosing your ______________ and discarding the unnecessary, as seen in the story of Florinda.
5. __________ is mortified being taken daily to Mass, when he is with his benefactor.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is guarding the rural house in central Mexico, according to the story?
2. How can one be sure that a Nagual man truly leads others?
3. What happens to Don Juan in order to help to cure him of lust during this apprenticeship?
4. What happens to Carlos when he is undergoing his westerly encounter?
5. What does Don Juan describe as being the warrior's rule?
6. What is the memory that La Gorda has about Silvio when she is not dreaming?
7. What happens during the time when La Gorda and Carlos spontaneously enter their dreaming bodies?
8. What does the woman tell Carlos after chiding him for his snobbishness while sitting on the bench?
9. How does Don Juan approach the woman who he feels is a double woman?
10. What comes into focus when La Gorda slims down from her previously larger figure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
La Gorda tells Carlos that losing the human form brings the freedom to remember oneself.
Part 1: Why do you think that losing the human form brings the freedom to remember oneself?
Part 2: What do you think about the idea of losing one's human form? Does this mean death to you?
Part 3: How do you think a person might be able to lose their human form without dying?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos and La Gorda continue to work together, remembering things which they didn't realize they had forgotten.
Part 1: Why do you think certain memories only come up at certain times?
Part 2: Do you think that you have certain memories which you will not be able to remember in the present, but that you will be able to remember in the future?
Part 3: How do you think that you could make old memories resurface in your own mind?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos realizes that there is a Nagual Woman who is also a part of Don Juan.
Part 1: Why do you think it's possible that there is a female counterpart to Don Juan?
Part 2: Is it always necessary to have a female balance to the male energy?
Part 3: How do you think Carlos' training might have been different without the presence of women?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)