|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jia-zeng realize will probably be his only heir?
2. Who helps Bao-yu with writing poems for Yuan-chun?
3. How long will burial ceremonies for Qin-shi last?
4. What wakes Xi-feng from her dream about Qin-shi?
5. What servant finds a lock of The Mattress's hair in Jia Lian's things?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
2. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
3. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
4. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
5. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
6. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
7. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
8. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
9. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
10. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's reasoning behind having such a large number of important and clearly defined characters? Illustrate your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How is the society portrayed in the novel shown to be strongly familial? In your answer, comment upon the familial influences felt by Bao-yu.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters and discuss his or her relationship with and impact upon Bao-yu.
• Qin Zhong
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)