|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xi-feng's leadership bring to the Ning house?
2. What important event is the Prince of Bei-jing present for?
3. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
4. Who scolds the maids for their mess?
5. What addiction does Dai-yu discover of Bao-yu's?
Essay Topic 1
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the central dramatic device of the novel, the love triangle between Bao-yu, Dai-yu and Bao-chai, and how it is used to generate conflict and drama and to maintain the reader's interest.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways the author illustrates the divide between poor classes and rich classes in the novel and the various grey areas surrounding that divide.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)