|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Shui Rong give to Bao-yu?
2. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
3. Who visits Aroma's home with Bao-yu?
4. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
5. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
2. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
3. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
4. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
5. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
6. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
7. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
8. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
9. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
10. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central character of Bao-yu has a very clear arc of development. Discuss this with particular focus on the different levels of maturity that he attains and how he attains them.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between "real" and "fantastic" worlds in the novel with a particular focus on The Land of Illusion and what influence it brings upon the main story.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways the author uses characters' names as a medium by which to say something about their personalities or character.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)