|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Shui Rong give to Bao-yu?
2. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
3. Who visits Aroma's home with Bao-yu?
4. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
5. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
2. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
3. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
4. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
5. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
6. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
7. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
8. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
9. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
10. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of illness to the story? Discuss with at least three examples and why the author chooses to make these characters ill.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters and discuss his or her relationship with and impact upon Bao-yu.
• Qin Zhong
Essay Topic 3
"In The Story of the Stone, the keeping of secrets frequently benefits all concerned." In your perception, is this statement true or false? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)