|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
2. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
3. What important event happens on the day of Jia Zheng's birthday?
4. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
5. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
2. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
3. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
4. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
5. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
6. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
7. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
8. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
9. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
10. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between "real" and "fantastic" worlds in the novel with a particular focus on The Land of Illusion and what influence it brings upon the main story.
Essay Topic 2
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"In The Story of the Stone, the keeping of secrets frequently benefits all concerned." In your perception, is this statement true or false? Why or why not?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)