|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Aroma's overall plans for Bao-yu?
2. What servant finds a lock of The Mattress's hair in Jia Lian's things?
3. What arrangements does Xi-feng talk to her husband about in relation to get-togethers?
4. What does Jia-zeng notice about Bao-yu's intelligence?
5. What do Bao-yu's pages take from him after the naming party for the garden for Yuan-chun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
2. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
3. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
4. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
5. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
6. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
7. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
8. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
9. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
10. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of illness to the story? Discuss with at least three examples and why the author chooses to make these characters ill.
Essay Topic 2
How is the society portrayed in the novel shown to be strongly familial? In your answer, comment upon the familial influences felt by Bao-yu.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the setting of the Prospect Garden as a key location in the novel?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)