|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the invitees to Bao-yu's birthday party?
2. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
3. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
4. How does Xi-feng's personality as an overbearing mistress come to light in the Ning house?
5. What arrangements does Xi-feng talk to her husband about in relation to get-togethers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
2. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
3. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
4. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
5. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
6. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
7. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
8. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
9. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
10. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the society portrayed in the novel shown to be strongly familial? In your answer, comment upon the familial influences felt by Bao-yu.
Essay Topic 2
How is the framing story of the stone's background an effective foundation for the author to build the rest of the action upon?
Essay Topic 3
Because he is won over and particularly moved by the story of the stone, it could be said that Vanitas (later Brother Amor) is the character readers should identify with most. Comment upon this idea, explaining in the process how or why the story is "not just another erotic romance" as the stone itself says.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)