|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
2. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
3. What wakes Xi-feng from her dream about Qin-shi?
4. One day, Bao-yu wakes with a feeling of _____________ that will not go away.
5. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
2. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
3. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
4. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
5. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
6. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
7. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
8. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
9. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
10. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"In The Story of the Stone, the keeping of secrets frequently benefits all concerned." In your perception, is this statement true or false? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role of sex and sexuality in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether the use of symbolism in the novel is effective. Make reference to the stone of the title and at least two other examples from the text.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)