|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
2. What important event happens on the day of Jia Zheng's birthday?
3. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
4. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
5. Who calls for Bao-yu to tell the boy he is to be moved in with the girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
2. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
3. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
4. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
5. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
6. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
7. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
8. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
9. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
10. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"In The Story of the Stone, the keeping of secrets frequently benefits all concerned." In your perception, is this statement true or false? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the framing story of the stone's background an effective foundation for the author to build the rest of the action upon?
Essay Topic 3
How is the society portrayed in the novel shown to be strongly familial? In your answer, comment upon the familial influences felt by Bao-yu.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)