|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
2. What does Jia-lian use as his bedroom while his daughter is ill?
3. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
4. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
5. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
2. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
3. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
4. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
5. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
6. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
7. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
8. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
9. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
10. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Destiny and predestination is a central theme throughout the novel. What narrative devices does the author utilize to maintain the reader's interest in this idea through an atmosphere of inevitability that pervades the novel's subtext?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways the author uses characters' names as a medium by which to say something about their personalities or character.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)