|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
2. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
3. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
4. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
5. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
2. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
3. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
4. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
5. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
6. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
7. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
8. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
9. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
10. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between "real" and "fantastic" worlds in the novel with a particular focus on The Land of Illusion and what influence it brings upon the main story.
Essay Topic 2
The central character of Bao-yu has a very clear arc of development. Discuss this with particular focus on the different levels of maturity that he attains and how he attains them.
Essay Topic 3
What is the author's reasoning behind having such a large number of important and clearly defined characters? Illustrate your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)