|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insists on being allowed to visit Qin-shi's body after her death?
2. Who is Yuan-chun overjoyed to see when she comes to see the garden?
3. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
4. Why does Bao-yu beg Xi-feng to let he and Qin Zhong stay longer in the temple?
5. In Xi-feng's dream, why is Qin-shi concerned about the family falling on hard times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
2. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
3. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
4. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
5. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
6. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
7. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
8. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
9. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
10. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether the use of symbolism in the novel is effective. Make reference to the stone of the title and at least two other examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How is the society portrayed in the novel shown to be strongly familial? In your answer, comment upon the familial influences felt by Bao-yu.
Essay Topic 3
"In The Story of the Stone, the keeping of secrets frequently benefits all concerned." In your perception, is this statement true or false? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)