|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
2. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
3. Who gives temporary names to places and things in the garden for Yuan-chun?
4. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
5. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
2. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
3. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
4. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
5. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
6. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
7. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
8. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
9. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
10. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central character of Bao-yu has a very clear arc of development. Discuss this with particular focus on the different levels of maturity that he attains and how he attains them.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters and discuss his or her relationship with and impact upon Bao-yu.
• Qin Zhong
Essay Topic 3
The fact that Bao-yu eventually chooses to be with Bao-chai and not Dai-yu, his supposed predestined soulmate of the past and future, comes as a surprise. Discuss the reasons why the author would choose to take the narrative in this direction.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)