|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arrangements does Xi-feng talk to her husband about in relation to get-togethers?
2. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
3. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
4. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
5. Who calls for Bao-yu to tell the boy he is to be moved in with the girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
2. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
3. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
4. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
5. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
6. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
7. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
8. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
9. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
10. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The central character of Bao-yu has a very clear arc of development. Discuss this with particular focus on the different levels of maturity that he attains and how he attains them.
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's reasoning behind having such a large number of important and clearly defined characters? Illustrate your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether the use of symbolism in the novel is effective. Make reference to the stone of the title and at least two other examples from the text.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)