|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
2. What sound comes from one of Bao-yu's rooms when the girls are ganging up on him?
3. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
4. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
5. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between Bao-yu and his servants developed in the events after Yuan-chun's visit?
2. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
3. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
4. In Chapter 20, how does Bao-yu show that he cares about Dai-yu?
5. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
6. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
7. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
8. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
9. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
10. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the ways the author illustrates the divide between poor classes and rich classes in the novel and the various grey areas surrounding that divide.
Essay Topic 2
Destiny and predestination is a central theme throughout the novel. What narrative devices does the author utilize to maintain the reader's interest in this idea through an atmosphere of inevitability that pervades the novel's subtext?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the central dramatic device of the novel, the love triangle between Bao-yu, Dai-yu and Bao-chai, and how it is used to generate conflict and drama and to maintain the reader's interest.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)