|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
2. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
3. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
4. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
5. Who gives temporary names to places and things in the garden for Yuan-chun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
2. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
3. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
4. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
5. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
6. Why is Dai-yu overcome with grief as she listens to the words of the actresses rehearsing in the garden?
7. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
8. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
9. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
10. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the role of sex and sexuality in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Destiny and predestination is a central theme throughout the novel. What narrative devices does the author utilize to maintain the reader's interest in this idea through an atmosphere of inevitability that pervades the novel's subtext?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the central dramatic device of the novel, the love triangle between Bao-yu, Dai-yu and Bao-chai, and how it is used to generate conflict and drama and to maintain the reader's interest.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)