|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
2. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
3. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
4. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
5. Who gives temporary names to places and things in the garden for Yuan-chun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fact that Bao-yu eventually chooses to be with Bao-chai and not Dai-yu, his supposed predestined soulmate of the past and future, comes as a surprise. Discuss the reasons why the author would choose to take the narrative in this direction.
Essay Topic 2
How is the society portrayed in the novel shown to be strongly familial? In your answer, comment upon the familial influences felt by Bao-yu.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the role of sex and sexuality in the novel.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)