|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the funeral procession for Qin-shi finally arrive?
2. Who insists on being allowed to visit Qin-shi's body after her death?
3. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
4. Who is Yuan-chun overjoyed to see when she comes to see the garden?
5. Who helps Bao-yu with writing poems for Yuan-chun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
2. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
3. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
4. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
5. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
6. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
7. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
8. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
9. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
10. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between "real" and "fantastic" worlds in the novel with a particular focus on The Land of Illusion and what influence it brings upon the main story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether the use of symbolism in the novel is effective. Make reference to the stone of the title and at least two other examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)