|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
2. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
3. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
4. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
5. In her anger at Bao-yu, what does Dai-yu cut up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Is the author justified in ending the novel with a cliffhanger? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"In The Story of the Stone, the keeping of secrets frequently benefits all concerned." In your perception, is this statement true or false? Why or why not?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)