|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bao-yu visits the Department of the Ill-Fated Fair, what is he allowed to look at?
2. Who does Bao-yu take an opportunity to go and visit at the start of Chapter 8?
3. What does Grannie finally admit to Zhou under pressure?
4. How does Jia Rui eventually die?
5. Who is Qin Zhong?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
2. Discuss the concepts of fate and destiny in relation to the meeting at which Bao-chai looks at Bao-yu's jade.
3. How does Bao-yu use family ties to his advantage during the events at the school?
4. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
5. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
6. Upon their first meeting, do Bao-yu and Dai-yu feel a connection with each other? If so, how is it shown?
7. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
8. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
9. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
10. Why would Dai-yu find it strange that Xi-feng appears to be in charge of household affairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's reasoning behind having such a large number of important and clearly defined characters? Illustrate your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways the author illustrates the divide between poor classes and rich classes in the novel and the various grey areas surrounding that divide.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)