|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Qin Zhong?
2. Bao-yu and Qin Zhong form a plan to encourage their families to send them to _____.
3. How does the stone feel after being left by the goddess?
4. What does Grannie finally admit to Zhou under pressure?
5. What do Duke of Ning-guo and Duke of Ring-guo believe will happen if Bao-yu engages in sexual pleasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story of Jia Rui teach a lesson about undue lust?
2. What thematic devices can be drawn from Bao-yu's relationship with women both during his dream and afterward?
3. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
4. Explore the meaning/possible symbolism behind Bao-yu's experience in the dream in Chapter 5.
5. In what way does Dai-yu express her jealousy and somewhat obsessive attitude towards Bao-yu in the beginning of Chapter 9?
6. Discuss the concepts of fate and destiny in relation to the meeting at which Bao-chai looks at Bao-yu's jade.
7. Describe Bao-yu's relationship to alcohol in Chapter 8.
8. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
9. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
10. What is your opinion of Aroma's decision to allow Bao-yu to "have his way" with her following her discovery of his dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use the setting of the Prospect Garden as a key location in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The fact that Bao-yu eventually chooses to be with Bao-chai and not Dai-yu, his supposed predestined soulmate of the past and future, comes as a surprise. Discuss the reasons why the author would choose to take the narrative in this direction.
Essay Topic 3
How is the society portrayed in the novel shown to be strongly familial? In your answer, comment upon the familial influences felt by Bao-yu.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)