|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bao-yu take an opportunity to go and visit at the start of Chapter 8?
2. According to Jia Yu-cun and Leng Zi-xing, what makes a person fundamentally good or bad?
3. What develops between the three main characters of the book?
4. Who settles the boy in Qin Shi's room?
5. During the party Bao-yu becomes...
Short Essay Questions
1. What thematic devices can be drawn from Bao-yu's relationship with women both during his dream and afterward?
2. What is your opinion of Aroma's decision to allow Bao-yu to "have his way" with her following her discovery of his dream?
3. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
4. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
5. Despite his limited presence, what becomes clear about Bao-yu during the first few episodes that involve him?
6. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
7. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
8. How does the story of Jia Rui teach a lesson about undue lust?
9. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
10. What events surrounding the trial in Chapter 4 illustrate further the Jia family's decline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of illness to the story? Discuss with at least three examples and why the author chooses to make these characters ill.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Dai-yu and Bao-chai. How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)