|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests a complex plan of action to bring a satisfactory end to the whole affair over which Yu-cun is presiding?
2. What happens to Jia Rui at the time of his first secret meeting?
3. Of whom does Bao-yu dream?
4. What does Yu-cun let the family know about the murder case?
5. These four friends including Darling and Precious often communicated with each other during studies in a way that they thought _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
2. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
3. How does the stone eventually save Bao-yu and Xi-feng?
4. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
5. In what ways are fear of shame and being poor seen in Chapter 6?
6. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
7. What thematic devices can be drawn from Bao-yu's relationship with women both during his dream and afterward?
8. How does the author establish karma as a central theme in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
10. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
Essay Topic 1
Is the author justified in ending the novel with a cliffhanger? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Dai-yu and Bao-chai. How are they similar? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the role of sex and sexuality in the novel.
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)