|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grandmother Jia and family invited to?
2. How does the stone feel after being left by the goddess?
3. Who do the Jia family throw a birthday party for?
4. Who calms Bao-yu down when he makes a scene after his visit with Bao-chai?
5. What does the family take notice in terms of Dai-yu's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explore the meaning/possible symbolism behind Bao-yu's experience in the dream in Chapter 5.
2. Is the fact that Dai-yu is offered flowers last in Chapter 7 a reasonable reflection of her status in the house at that time?
3. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
4. How does the author establish karma as a central theme in Chapter 1?
5. In what ways is more of Xi-feng's character revealed in her thoughts about Qin-shi and her dealings with Jia Rui?
6. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
7. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
8. Despite his limited presence, what becomes clear about Bao-yu during the first few episodes that involve him?
9. Explore the significance of Bao-yu's inability to understand the songs the fairies sing to him about his family history, how to improve himself, and the fates of the women of the household.
10. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between "real" and "fantastic" worlds in the novel with a particular focus on The Land of Illusion and what influence it brings upon the main story.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use the setting of the Prospect Garden as a key location in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the ways the author illustrates the divide between poor classes and rich classes in the novel and the various grey areas surrounding that divide.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)