|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yu-cun do to the usher as a result of feeling uncomfortable around him?
2. When Bao-yu visits the Department of the Ill-Fated Fair, what is he allowed to look at?
3. How does Jia Rui eventually die?
4. Grannie Liu visits the Rong Mansion under the cover of seeing Mrs. Zhou, an old friend, but what is she really looking for?
5. What does Bao-yu drink while visiting Bao-chai?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bao-yu's relationship to alcohol in Chapter 8.
2. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
3. How does superstition appear in the events surrounding Jia Rui?
4. Upon their first meeting, do Bao-yu and Dai-yu feel a connection with each other? If so, how is it shown?
5. Who calls upon demons in a plan to "get rid of" Bao-yu and Xi-feng and why?
6. What does the way the Jia family undertake preparations for Yuan-chun's visit show about their character when it comes to money?
7. Discuss the concepts of fate and destiny in relation to the meeting at which Bao-chai looks at Bao-yu's jade.
8. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
9. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
10. How does Xiang-yun's presence lead Bao-yu to think more highly of Bao-chai?
Essay Topic 1
The central character of Bao-yu has a very clear arc of development. Discuss this with particular focus on the different levels of maturity that he attains and how he attains them.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters and discuss his or her relationship with and impact upon Bao-yu.
• Qin Zhong
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Dai-yu and Bao-chai. How are they similar? How are they different?
This section contains 1,689 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)