|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grandmother Jia and family invited to?
2. Who reveals sexual feelings for Xi-feng to her around the time of the birthday party?
3. Who do the Jia family throw a birthday party for?
4. What is Dai-yu most concerned about on the first day of school?
5. What does the doctor believe about his patient's prognosis at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
2. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
3. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
4. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
5. How does the author establish karma as a central theme in Chapter 1?
6. Upon their first meeting, do Bao-yu and Dai-yu feel a connection with each other? If so, how is it shown?
7. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
8. Despite his limited presence, what becomes clear about Bao-yu during the first few episodes that involve him?
9. In what ways are fear of shame and being poor seen in Chapter 6?
10. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the framing story of the stone's background an effective foundation for the author to build the rest of the action upon?
Essay Topic 2
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following characters and discuss his or her relationship with and impact upon Bao-yu.
• Qin Zhong
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)