|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yu-cun let the family know about the murder case?
2. During the party Bao-yu becomes...
3. What do the more ill-bred students do in light of the headmaster's absence?
4. Where does Bao-yu beg to go with Xi-feng in Chapter 7?
5. Who has a brief discussion with Lady Wang about Bao-yu's odd behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explore the significance of Bao-yu's inability to understand the songs the fairies sing to him about his family history, how to improve himself, and the fates of the women of the household.
2. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
3. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
4. How does the author establish karma as a central theme in Chapter 1?
5. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
6. In what way does Dai-yu express her jealousy and somewhat obsessive attitude towards Bao-yu in the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
8. How does Bao-yu use family ties to his advantage during the events at the school?
9. Describe Bao-yu's relationship to alcohol in Chapter 8.
10. Upon their first meeting, do Bao-yu and Dai-yu feel a connection with each other? If so, how is it shown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following characters and discuss his or her relationship with and impact upon Bao-yu.
• Qin Zhong
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the setting of the Prospect Garden as a key location in the novel?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)