|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a brief discussion with Lady Wang about Bao-yu's odd behavior?
2. Who does the headmaster leave in charge of the school while he is on leave?
3. What is the name of the Chinese town the story line switches too after the Taoist changes his name?
4. Why does Bao-yu make a scene upon returning home from his visit with Bao-chai?
5. What does the doctor believe about his patient's prognosis at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
2. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
3. In what ways is more of Xi-feng's character revealed in her thoughts about Qin-shi and her dealings with Jia Rui?
4. Explore the meaning/possible symbolism behind Bao-yu's experience in the dream in Chapter 5.
5. How does the story of Jia Rui teach a lesson about undue lust?
6. Despite his limited presence, what becomes clear about Bao-yu during the first few episodes that involve him?
7. What is your opinion of Aroma's decision to allow Bao-yu to "have his way" with her following her discovery of his dream?
8. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
9. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
10. What events surrounding the trial in Chapter 4 illustrate further the Jia family's decline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's reasoning behind having such a large number of important and clearly defined characters? Illustrate your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Is the author justified in including a large number of coincidences (for example Dai-yu visiting Bao-chai at the same time as Bao-yu, or Xi-feng entering the room just as Patience confronts Jia Lian) in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the role of sex and sexuality in the novel.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)