|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. These four friends including Darling and Precious often communicated with each other during studies in a way that they thought _____.
2. Why does Yu-cun feel uncomfortable around the usher?
3. What is the name of the goddess in the opening chapter?
4. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
5. Who does Zhen Shi-yin live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
2. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
3. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
4. What does Bao-yu add to the book he is reading, and how does Dai-yu respond?
5. What could Dai-yu's tears at the end of the novel signify?
6. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
7. How does Patience show her loyalty to Xi-feng in Chapter 16?
8. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
9. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
10. Discuss Yuan-chun's reaction upon her first visit home.
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of illness to the story? Discuss with at least three examples and why the author chooses to make these characters ill.
Essay Topic 2
"In The Story of the Stone, the keeping of secrets frequently benefits all concerned." In your perception, is this statement true or false? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use the setting of the Prospect Garden as a key location in the novel?
This section contains 1,551 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)