|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interrupts Bao-yu's visit with Bao-chai in Chapter 8?
(b) Qin Zhong.
2. Who refuses to attend the birthday party?
(a) Jia Jing.
(d) Jia Rui.
3. Who does Jia Rui nearly sleep with accidentally?
(c) Jia Rong.
4. What do Duke of Ning-guo and Duke of Ring-guo believe will happen if Bao-yu engages in sexual pleasure?
(a) He will become a better student.
(b) He will not be able to have children.
(c) He will have no chance with Dai-yu.
(d) He will fail in his studies.
5. What happens to Jia Rui at the time of his first secret meeting?
(a) He is left sitting in the cold all night.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He has sex with a prostitute.
(d) He meets his beloved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
2. Who is brought to life by a magical fictional stone?
3. What do Qin Zhong and Darling do while the headmaster is out?
4. Where is the party Grandmother Jia and the family held?
5. Who does Bao-yu cry out to in order to help him when he is dreaming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
2. Explore the significance of Bao-yu's inability to understand the songs the fairies sing to him about his family history, how to improve himself, and the fates of the women of the household.
3. How does superstition appear in the events surrounding Jia Rui?
4. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
5. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
6. How does the story of Jia Rui teach a lesson about undue lust?
7. Describe Bao-yu's relationship to alcohol in Chapter 8.
8. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
9. Why would Dai-yu find it strange that Xi-feng appears to be in charge of household affairs?
10. Despite his limited presence, what becomes clear about Bao-yu during the first few episodes that involve him?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)