|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling is Bao-yu filled with in his dream?
2. What was the subject of dispute Yu-cun was set to rule over?
(a) A monk breaking celibacy.
(b) A robbery.
(c) A slave girl.
(d) A police killing.
3. In order to cure Bao-yu of his lust of the mind, he is given a bride named _____.
4. Where is Dai-yu to reside?
(a) The Jia family residence.
(b) At her mother's family's estate.
(c) In boarding school.
(d) At a convent.
5. What do Duke of Ning-guo and Duke of Ring-guo believe will happen if Bao-yu engages in sexual pleasure?
(a) He will not be able to have children.
(b) He will have no chance with Dai-yu.
(c) He will fail in his studies.
(d) He will become a better student.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bao-yu take an opportunity to go and visit at the start of Chapter 8?
2. What is Bao-yu's first question to Dai-yu?
3. Although the songs tell the story of his family's life, Bao-yu is bored and does not understand what?
4. Why does Bao-yu make a scene upon returning home from his visit with Bao-chai?
5. Who makes a loud entrance at the Jia residence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is your opinion of Aroma's decision to allow Bao-yu to "have his way" with her following her discovery of his dream?
2. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
3. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
4. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
5. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
6. In what way does Dai-yu express her jealousy and somewhat obsessive attitude towards Bao-yu in the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
8. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
9. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
10. Why would Dai-yu find it strange that Xi-feng appears to be in charge of household affairs?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)