|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the headmaster leave in charge of the school while he is on leave?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His niece.
(c) His nephew.
(d) His grandson.
2. What actual name does Bao-yu cry out in his sleep?
3. What is the real reason for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) He is lovesick.
(b) He eats food that has gone bad.
(c) He is doused with contents of a slop pail.
(d) He falls into a stagnant pond.
4. Where is Dai-yu to reside?
(a) The Jia family residence.
(b) At a convent.
(c) In boarding school.
(d) At her mother's family's estate.
5. What does the family take notice in terms of Dai-yu's situation?
(a) She is a jovial child.
(b) She is an outspoken girl.
(c) She is in a weakened state.
(d) She is very tall and elegant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the conversation Zhen Shi-yin overhears in his dream?
2. Who does Bao-yu take an opportunity to go and visit at the start of Chapter 8?
3. Where does Bao-yu beg to go with Xi-feng in Chapter 7?
4. They reach the Ford of Error where Bao-yu finds himself being pulled into _____.
5. Why does Bao-yu make a scene upon returning home from his visit with Bao-chai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
2. Discuss the concepts of fate and destiny in relation to the meeting at which Bao-chai looks at Bao-yu's jade.
3. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
4. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
5. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
6. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
7. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
8. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
9. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
10. How does superstition appear in the events surrounding Jia Rui?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)