|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refuses to attend the birthday party?
(c) Jia Rui.
(d) Jia Jing.
2. Who settles the boy in Qin Shi's room?
(b) Qin Shi.
3. What do Bao-yu and Xi-feng hear as they leave the Ning Mansion?
(a) A baby crying.
(b) A drunken servant cursing the Ning family.
(c) A drunken servant cursing the Jia family.
(d) A maid cursing Xi-feng.
4. What is the goddess in the opening chapter in the middle of doing?
(b) Mending the sky.
(c) Choosing a husband.
(d) Reading a book.
5. Which character from earlier in the book resurfaces working as a maid under the name Caltrop?
(b) Ying Lian.
(d) Disenchantment, the fairy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Qin Zhong?
2. What is Bao-yu's first question to Dai-yu?
3. Who forms deeps friendship with Darling and Precious?
4. Who does Dai-yu learn she will be living with even though it is not customary for girls to live with boys?
5. Who suggests a complex plan of action to bring a satisfactory end to the whole affair over which Yu-cun is presiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
2. How does Bao-yu show increasing maturity in his response to the quarrels among his female companions?
3. Describe Bao-yu's relationship to alcohol in Chapter 8.
4. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
5. Discuss the concepts of fate and destiny in relation to the meeting at which Bao-chai looks at Bao-yu's jade.
6. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
7. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
8. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
9. Explore the meaning/possible symbolism behind Bao-yu's experience in the dream in Chapter 5.
10. What is your opinion of Aroma's decision to allow Bao-yu to "have his way" with her following her discovery of his dream?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)