|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is suffering from a mysterious sickness at the end of Chapter 10?
(b) Qin Zhong.
2. What item of Bao-yu's does Bao-chai want a closer look at when he visits her?
(a) His gold ring.
(b) His schoolbooks.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His magical jade.
3. What does Xi-feng do when Bao-yu questions a servant at the Ning Mansion?
(a) She confronts the servant herself.
(b) She quietly tells him not to worry about it.
(c) She angrily hushes him.
(d) She calls a maid to distract from the situation.
4. Who is brought to life by a magical fictional stone?
5. How does the stone feel after being left by the goddess?
(a) Scared and confused.
(b) Small yet strong.
(c) Free and happy.
(d) Rejected and useless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Xue give to Zhou Rai's wife?
2. Before Bao-yu leaves for school, his father berates him for _____.
3. What do Bao-yu and Xi-feng hear as they leave the Ning Mansion?
4. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 8?
5. What is Dai-yu most concerned about on the first day of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does superstition appear in the events surrounding Jia Rui?
2. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
3. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
4. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
5. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
6. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
7. Is the fact that Dai-yu is offered flowers last in Chapter 7 a reasonable reflection of her status in the house at that time?
8. How does the author establish karma as a central theme in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
10. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)