|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What develops between the three main characters of the book?
(a) A long-term friendship.
(b) A love triangle.
(c) A mysterious murder.
(d) Great hate.
2. How does Jia Rui eventually die?
(a) He falls out of a second floor window.
(b) He looks into the wrong side of the Taoist's mirror.
(c) He is stabbed by Xi-feng in a dream and never wakes up.
(d) He suffers heart failure.
3. Who does Jia Rui nearly sleep with accidentally?
(c) Jia Rong.
4. Who settles the boy in Qin Shi's room?
(b) Qin Shi.
5. What is Grandmother Jia and family invited to?
(a) A wedding banquet.
(b) A flower viewing party.
(c) A star-gazing party.
(d) A tea ceremony party.
Short Answer Questions
1. They reach the Ford of Error where Bao-yu finds himself being pulled into _____.
2. What is the name of the goddess in the opening chapter?
3. Who are Darling and Precious?
4. Who does Dai-yu learn she will be living with even though it is not customary for girls to live with boys?
5. What does Aroma realize about Bao-yu as she helps him redress after his nap?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
2. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
3. How does superstition appear in the events surrounding Jia Rui?
4. Despite his limited presence, what becomes clear about Bao-yu during the first few episodes that involve him?
5. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
6. Explore the significance of Bao-yu's inability to understand the songs the fairies sing to him about his family history, how to improve himself, and the fates of the women of the household.
7. What superstition in Chapter 21 is shown to be false?
8. How does the story of Jia Rui teach a lesson about undue lust?
9. Why does Jia Zheng finally start to warm to Bao-yu?
10. Why would Dai-yu find it strange that Xi-feng appears to be in charge of household affairs?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)