Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aroma realize about Bao-yu as she helps him redress after his nap?
(a) He has had a sexual dream.
(b) He has had a night sweat.
(c) He is ice cold.
(d) He is shaking.
2. Who does the headmaster leave in charge of the school while he is on leave?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His nephew.
(c) His grandson.
(d) His niece.
3. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 7?
(a) Because she is brought the flowers last.
(b) Because she feels she has been punished for no reason.
(c) Because Bao-yu has chosen the same time to visit Bao-chai.
(d) Because Bao-yu taunts her.
4. What does the monk promise to do to the stone?
(a) Carve it.
(b) Find it a home.
(c) Inscribe it.
(d) Take it home.
5. From what country is the family this story is about?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Jia family throw a birthday party for?
2. Who warns Yu-cun not to arrest Xue?
3. What does the Taoist in the first chapter change his name to?
4. Who calms Bao-yu down when he makes a scene after his visit with Bao-chai?
5. What is the goddess in the opening chapter in the middle of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the fact that Dai-yu is offered flowers last in Chapter 7 a reasonable reflection of her status in the house at that time?
2. How does the author establish karma as a central theme in Chapter 1?
3. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
4. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
5. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
6. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
7. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
8. What events surrounding the trial in Chapter 4 illustrate further the Jia family's decline?
9. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
10. Despite his limited presence, what becomes clear about Bao-yu during the first few episodes that involve him?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)