|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the headmaster leave in charge of the school while he is on leave?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His nephew.
(c) His grandson.
(d) His niece.
2. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
(a) That Qin-shi will soon fall in love.
(b) That Qin-shi is a reincarnated ancestor.
(c) That Qin-shi is malingering and not actually sick.
(d) That Qin-shi will die from her illness.
3. What does Aroma realize about Bao-yu as she helps him redress after his nap?
(a) He is shaking.
(b) He has had a night sweat.
(c) He is ice cold.
(d) He has had a sexual dream.
4. What actual name does Bao-yu cry out in his sleep?
5. How does the stone feel after being left by the goddess?
(a) Small yet strong.
(b) Rejected and useless.
(c) Free and happy.
(d) Scared and confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yu-cun feel uncomfortable around the usher?
2. What is the goddess in the opening chapter in the middle of doing?
3. Who starts school at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What is the real reason for Jia Rui becoming ill?
5. They reach the Ford of Error where Bao-yu finds himself being pulled into _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
2. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
3. What events surrounding the trial in Chapter 4 illustrate further the Jia family's decline?
4. Why does Aroma manipulate Bao-yu in Chapter 19?
5. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
6. How does superstition appear in the events surrounding Jia Rui?
7. Is the fact that Dai-yu is offered flowers last in Chapter 7 a reasonable reflection of her status in the house at that time?
8. In what ways are Bao-yu's intellectual abilities displayed in the events surrounding Yuan-chun's visit?
9. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
10. Analyze Bao-yu's interactions with his father Jia Zheng during the naming party.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)