|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bao-yu take an opportunity to go and visit at the start of Chapter 8?
(c) Qin Zhong.
2. Of whom does Bao-yu dream?
(a) Qin Shi.
(c) The fairy Disenchantment.
3. Who starts school at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Dai-yu and Bao-yu.
(b) Bao-yu and Qin Zhong.
(c) Bao-chai and Bao-yu.
(d) Qin Zhong and Dai-yu.
4. Who does Jia Rui nearly sleep with accidentally?
(b) Jia Rong.
5. Who starts to make regular visits to Qin-shi after the birthday party?
(b) Bao-yu's father.
(d) Jia Rui.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the headmaster going on leave?
2. What happens to Jia Rui at the time of his first secret meeting?
3. What does the monk promise to do to the stone?
4. Who does the headmaster leave in charge of the school while he is on leave?
5. What item of Bao-yu's does Bao-chai want a closer look at when he visits her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the servants of the house react to Qin-shi's death?
2. Who calls upon demons in a plan to "get rid of" Bao-yu and Xi-feng and why?
3. Explore the meaning/possible symbolism behind Bao-yu's experience in the dream in Chapter 5.
4. How does the story of Jia Rui teach a lesson about undue lust?
5. For what reason(s) might Bao-yu have become discontented living in the Prospect Garden?
6. Hypothesize over the influence Bao-yu's father has on him despite his consistently disapproving attitude towards Bao-yu.
7. What thematic devices can be drawn from Bao-yu's relationship with women both during his dream and afterward?
8. What is revealed about Xi-feng's character in the episode involving a servant woman bringing money to her?
9. Why do the children move into the Prospect Garden?
10. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)