|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who performs Disenchantment's A Dream of Golden Days for Bao-yu?
(b) The fairies.
(c) The sorcerer.
2. Who reveals sexual feelings for Xi-feng to her around the time of the birthday party?
(a) Qin Zhong.
(c) Jia Rui.
(d) Jia Jing.
3. Why does Yu-cun feel uncomfortable around the usher?
(a) Because he overheard the usher plotting against him.
(b) Because the usher has killed his friend.
(c) Because the usher is his uncle.
(d) Because he knew Yu-cun before he was high ranking.
4. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 8?
(a) Because Bao-yu has chosen the same time to visit Bao-chai.
(b) Because Xi-feng scolds her.
(c) Because she is brought the flowers last and forced to take leftovers.
(d) Because Bao-yu gets drunk.
5. What is the name of the Chinese town the story line switches too after the Taoist changes his name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dai-yu to reside?
2. Who calms Bao-yu down when he makes a scene after his visit with Bao-chai?
3. What does the main story line follow?
4. Who refuses to attend the birthday party?
5. What does Aunt Xue give to Zhou Rai's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
2. What thematic devices can be drawn from Bao-yu's relationship with women both during his dream and afterward?
3. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
4. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
5. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
6. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
7. Explore the significance of Bao-yu's inability to understand the songs the fairies sing to him about his family history, how to improve himself, and the fates of the women of the household.
8. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
9. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
10. What events surrounding the trial in Chapter 4 illustrate further the Jia family's decline?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)