|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jia Yu-cun and Leng Zi-xing, what makes a person fundamentally good or bad?
(a) The amount of money they have.
(c) Family and friends.
2. What is Bao-yu's first question to Dai-yu?
(a) Whether she has a green jade like him.
(b) If she fancies him.
(c) If she is married.
(d) If she has seen the stone in the pond.
3. Who is Qin Zhong?
(a) Qin-shi's half-brother.
(b) Dai-yu's half brother.
(c) Qin-shi's brother.
(d) Bao-chai's brother.
4. Grannie Liu visits the Rong Mansion under the cover of seeing Mrs. Zhou, an old friend, but what is she really looking for?
(a) A hand out.
(b) A runaway servant.
(c) The Jia family will.
(d) Bao-yu's stone.
5. What feeling is Bao-yu filled with in his dream?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Yu-cun to the capitol with his daughter Dai-yu?
2. Who is brought to life by a magical fictional stone?
3. What is the goddess in the opening chapter in the middle of doing?
4. Knowing she is to fulfill all of Bao-yu's needs, Aroma allows him to _____.
5. What does the main story line follow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bao-yu's relationship to alcohol in Chapter 8.
2. In what ways is more of Xi-feng's character revealed in her thoughts about Qin-shi and her dealings with Jia Rui?
3. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
4. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
5. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
6. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
7. In what ways are fear of shame and being poor seen in Chapter 6?
8. What events surrounding the trial in Chapter 4 illustrate further the Jia family's decline?
9. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
10. Despite his limited presence, what becomes clear about Bao-yu during the first few episodes that involve him?
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)