|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jia Rui nearly sleep with accidentally?
(c) Jia Rong.
2. What is the goddess in the opening chapter in the middle of doing?
(a) Reading a book.
(b) Choosing a husband.
(c) Mending the sky.
3. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
4. Who forms deeps friendship with Darling and Precious?
(a) Qin Zhong and Bao-yu.
(b) Dai-yu and Bao-yu.
(c) Dai-yu and Qin Zhong.
(d) Bao-chai and Dai-yu.
5. What does Yu-cun let the family know about the murder case?
(a) That the matter of the murder has been cleared up.
(b) That they are indicted until the case is closed.
(c) That they will need to pay a large sum of money.
(d) That they will need to come to court.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zhen Shi-yin live with?
2. What does Leng Zi-xing explain in regards to turning out sons?
3. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
4. What is the subject of the conversation Zhen Shi-yin overhears in his dream?
5. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
2. Hypothesize over the influence Bao-yu's father has on him despite his consistently disapproving attitude towards Bao-yu.
3. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
4. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
5. In what way does Dai-yu express her jealousy and somewhat obsessive attitude towards Bao-yu in the beginning of Chapter 9?
6. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
7. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
8. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
9. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
10. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)