|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Taoist in the first chapter change his name to?
(a) Writer of Love.
(b) Brother Amor.
(c) Warrior of the Sun.
(d) Brother in Light.
2. Grannie Liu first sees Xi-feng who makes the suggestion that these relatives don't visit because they find the Jias _____.
(a) Too busy.
3. Who does Dai-yu learn she will be living with even though it is not customary for girls to live with boys?
4. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 8?
(a) Because Bao-yu gets drunk.
(b) Because Xi-feng scolds her.
(c) Because Bao-yu has chosen the same time to visit Bao-chai.
(d) Because she is brought the flowers last and forced to take leftovers.
5. Who is Qin Zhong?
(a) Qin-shi's half-brother.
(b) Bao-chai's brother.
(c) Dai-yu's half brother.
(d) Qin-shi's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bao-yu take an opportunity to go and visit at the start of Chapter 8?
2. What is the reason given against Yu-cun arresting Xue?
3. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
4. They reach the Ford of Error where Bao-yu finds himself being pulled into _____.
5. What develops between the three main characters of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does superstition appear in the events surrounding Jia Rui?
2. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
3. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
5. Why would Dai-yu find it strange that Xi-feng appears to be in charge of household affairs?
6. In what ways are fear of shame and being poor seen in Chapter 6?
7. Explore the meaning/possible symbolism behind Bao-yu's experience in the dream in Chapter 5.
8. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
9. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
10. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)