|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Dai-yu to reside?
(a) In boarding school.
(b) At her mother's family's estate.
(c) The Jia family residence.
(d) At a convent.
2. Why does Yu-cun feel uncomfortable around the usher?
(a) Because he overheard the usher plotting against him.
(b) Because the usher has killed his friend.
(c) Because the usher is his uncle.
(d) Because he knew Yu-cun before he was high ranking.
3. What is the subject of the conversation Zhen Shi-yin overhears in his dream?
(a) A problem with his son's character.
(b) The curse of the magical stone.
(c) The future of his daughter's life.
(d) The future of the magical stone.
4. Who calms Bao-yu down when he makes a scene after his visit with Bao-chai?
(a) Nannie Li.
5. During the party Bao-yu becomes...
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jia Rui eventually die?
2. Why does Bao-yu make a scene upon returning home from his visit with Bao-chai?
3. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
4. Who settles the boy in Qin Shi's room?
5. What does Bao-yu do when the answer from Dai-yu is "no"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
2. In what ways are fear of shame and being poor seen in Chapter 6?
3. Despite his limited presence, what becomes clear about Bao-yu during the first few episodes that involve him?
4. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
5. Describe Bao-yu's relationship to alcohol in Chapter 8.
6. Discuss the concepts of fate and destiny in relation to the meeting at which Bao-chai looks at Bao-yu's jade.
7. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
8. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
9. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
10. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)