|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes a loud entrance at the Jia residence?
(a) Wang Xi-feng.
2. How long did Feng Yuan wait to marry the girl in which he was interested?
(a) Ten years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three days.
(d) Five weeks.
3. Why is the headmaster going on leave?
(a) To take vacation.
(b) He is ill.
(c) To attend business.
(d) To meet the Jia family.
4. Why does Yu-cun feel uncomfortable around the usher?
(a) Because he overheard the usher plotting against him.
(b) Because the usher is his uncle.
(c) Because he knew Yu-cun before he was high ranking.
(d) Because the usher has killed his friend.
5. Who starts school at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Dai-yu and Bao-yu.
(b) Qin Zhong and Dai-yu.
(c) Bao-yu and Qin Zhong.
(d) Bao-chai and Bao-yu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zhen Shi-yin live with?
2. What do Bao-yu and Qin Zhong quickly learn about each other?
3. Who warns Yu-cun not to arrest Xue?
4. Which character from earlier in the book resurfaces working as a maid under the name Caltrop?
5. According to Jia Yu-cun and Leng Zi-xing, what makes a person fundamentally good or bad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bao-yu use family ties to his advantage during the events at the school?
2. How is Qin-shi's honor and devotion to family seen before she dies?
3. What facets of the relationships between masters/mistresses and servants are shown in the conflict between Jia Lian, Xi-feng, and Patience?
4. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
5. Describe Bao-yu's relationship to alcohol in Chapter 8.
6. What can be understood from the relationship between Qin Zhong and Sappy?
7. How does the family express their bereavement of and Qin-shi's death to the public?
8. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
9. What is Shui Rong's impression of Bao-yu?
10. Hypothesize as to why Bao-yu's reaction to Qin-shi's death so violent.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)