|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jia Yu-cun and Leng Zi-xing, what makes a person fundamentally good or bad?
(a) The amount of money they have.
(b) Family and friends.
2. Who forms deeps friendship with Darling and Precious?
(a) Bao-chai and Dai-yu.
(b) Dai-yu and Qin Zhong.
(c) Qin Zhong and Bao-yu.
(d) Dai-yu and Bao-yu.
3. Why does Bao-yu make a scene upon returning home from his visit with Bao-chai?
(a) Because he misses Bao-chai.
(b) Because Nannie Li has been cursing him behind his back.
(c) Because Nannie Li drank something that was intended for him.
(d) Because nobody welcomes him home.
4. What feeling is Bao-yu filled with in his dream?
5. What do Bao-yu and Qin Zhong quickly learn about each other?
(a) That they are both attracted to maids in their household.
(b) That they are both confused about their sexuality.
(c) That they are both rich.
(d) That they are both without a tutor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Chinese town the story line switches too after the Taoist changes his name?
2. Who reveals sexual feelings for Xi-feng to her around the time of the birthday party?
3. What does Xi-feng make Jia Rui believe about herself?
4. What is the reason given against Yu-cun arresting Xue?
5. What does the monk promise to do to the stone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
2. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
3. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
4. What events surrounding the trial in Chapter 4 illustrate further the Jia family's decline?
5. How does the author establish karma as a central theme in Chapter 1?
6. Hypothesize over the influence Bao-yu's father has on him despite his consistently disapproving attitude towards Bao-yu.
7. In what way does Dai-yu express her jealousy and somewhat obsessive attitude towards Bao-yu in the beginning of Chapter 9?
8. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
9. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
10. In what ways are fear of shame and being poor seen in Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)