|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the Jia family throw a birthday party for?
(a) Jia Qiang.
(c) Jia Rui.
(d) Jia Jing.
2. What is the real reason for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) He eats food that has gone bad.
(b) He is doused with contents of a slop pail.
(c) He is lovesick.
(d) He falls into a stagnant pond.
3. What is the reason given against Yu-cun arresting Xue?
(a) Xue is cursed.
(b) Yu-cun does not understand the circumstances.
(c) Xue is from a rich family.
(d) Xue will put a curse on him.
4. What does the main story line follow?
(a) The growing up years of cousins Bao-yu, Dai-yu, and Bao-chai.
(b) The growing up years of friends Bao-yu, Precious, and Jokey Jin.
(c) The growing up years of brothers Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin-Zhong.
(d) The growing up years of sisters Qan-yen, Qin-shi, and Dai-yu.
5. At the birthday party in Chapter 11, what does much of the conversation center on?
(a) Qin Zhong's good looks.
(b) Bao-yu's lack of study skills.
(c) Jia Jing's life in the monastery.
(d) Qin-shi's puzzling illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns Yu-cun not to arrest Xue?
2. Grannie Liu first sees Xi-feng who makes the suggestion that these relatives don't visit because they find the Jias _____.
3. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
4. What feeling is Bao-yu filled with in his dream?
5. Knowing she is to fulfill all of Bao-yu's needs, Aroma allows him to _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Dai-yu express her jealousy and somewhat obsessive attitude towards Bao-yu in the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
3. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
4. What thematic devices can be drawn from Bao-yu's relationship with women both during his dream and afterward?
5. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
6. Upon their first meeting, do Bao-yu and Dai-yu feel a connection with each other? If so, how is it shown?
7. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
8. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
9. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
10. In what ways are fear of shame and being poor seen in Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)