|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the first people who come across the stone after the goddess leaves it there?
(a) A monk and Taoist.
(b) A Buddhist and monk.
(c) A warrior and monk.
(d) A monk and priest.
2. What is Dai-yu most concerned about on the first day of school?
(a) Whether or not Bao-yu will bid farewell to Bao-chai also.
(b) If she will fit in.
(c) How she will be able to study and also work at the estate.
(d) If Bao-yu's father will also become angry with her one day.
3. What is Grandmother Jia and family invited to?
(a) A wedding banquet.
(b) A tea ceremony party.
(c) A star-gazing party.
(d) A flower viewing party.
4. How does Jia Rui eventually die?
(a) He suffers heart failure.
(b) He is stabbed by Xi-feng in a dream and never wakes up.
(c) He falls out of a second floor window.
(d) He looks into the wrong side of the Taoist's mirror.
5. Who do the Jia family throw a birthday party for?
(a) Jia Jing.
(b) Jia Rui.
(c) Jia Qiang.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
2. Who interrupts Bao-yu's visit with Bao-chai in Chapter 8?
3. Who sends Yu-cun to the capitol with his daughter Dai-yu?
4. During the party Bao-yu becomes...
5. Of whom does Bao-yu dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are fear of shame and being poor seen in Chapter 6?
2. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
3. Why would Dai-yu find it strange that Xi-feng appears to be in charge of household affairs?
4. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
5. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
6. Hypothesize over the influence Bao-yu's father has on him despite his consistently disapproving attitude towards Bao-yu.
7. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
8. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
9. In what ways is more of Xi-feng's character revealed in her thoughts about Qin-shi and her dealings with Jia Rui?
10. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)