|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the birthday party in Chapter 11, what does much of the conversation center on?
(a) Jia Jing's life in the monastery.
(b) Qin-shi's puzzling illness.
(c) Qin Zhong's good looks.
(d) Bao-yu's lack of study skills.
2. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
3. From what country is the family this story is about?
4. What does Yu-cun do to the usher as a result of feeling uncomfortable around him?
(a) Calls in a complaint to the police anonymously.
(b) Has the usher arrested.
(c) Kills the usher's father.
(d) Flees the city.
5. How long did Feng Yuan wait to marry the girl in which he was interested?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three days.
(c) One year.
(d) Five weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
2. Who starts to make regular visits to Qin-shi after the birthday party?
3. What does Xi-feng make Jia Rui believe about herself?
4. When Bao-yu visits the Department of the Ill-Fated Fair, what is he allowed to look at?
5. Why is the headmaster going on leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the fact that Dai-yu is offered flowers last in Chapter 7 a reasonable reflection of her status in the house at that time?
2. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
3. What is your opinion of Aroma's decision to allow Bao-yu to "have his way" with her following her discovery of his dream?
4. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
5. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
6. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
7. Why does Xi-feng hush Bao-yu when he questions the drunken servant cursing the Jia family at the Ning house?
8. In what ways are fear of shame and being poor seen in Chapter 6?
9. Upon their first meeting, do Bao-yu and Dai-yu feel a connection with each other? If so, how is it shown?
10. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)