|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Xue give to Zhou Rai's wife?
(a) A box filled with money.
(b) A box of real flowers.
(c) A box of artificial flowers.
(d) A box of decorations for her house.
2. In order to cure Bao-yu of his lust of the mind, he is given a bride named _____.
3. What does the family take notice in terms of Dai-yu's situation?
(a) She is a jovial child.
(b) She is an outspoken girl.
(c) She is very tall and elegant.
(d) She is in a weakened state.
4. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
(a) That Qin-shi will soon fall in love.
(b) That Qin-shi will die from her illness.
(c) That Qin-shi is a reincarnated ancestor.
(d) That Qin-shi is malingering and not actually sick.
5. What does Leng Zi-xing explain in regards to turning out sons?
(a) They are very successful in turning out strong and capable sons.
(b) They will soon be turning over their estate to the youngest male heir.
(c) That they struggle in bearing good male heirs.
(d) They are looking for a man to replace their sons.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country is the family this story is about?
2. What is the reason given against Yu-cun arresting Xue?
3. During the party Bao-yu becomes...
4. During what affair is Dai-yu seated at a place of honor?
5. Before Bao-yu leaves for school, his father berates him for _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
2. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
3. Is the fact that Dai-yu is offered flowers last in Chapter 7 a reasonable reflection of her status in the house at that time?
4. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
5. How does Bao-yu use family ties to his advantage during the events at the school?
6. Explain the symbol of Greensickness Peak in relation to the rest of the novel.
7. Why would Dai-yu find it strange that Xi-feng appears to be in charge of household affairs?
8. What thematic devices can be drawn from Bao-yu's relationship with women both during his dream and afterward?
9. Describe Bao-yu's relationship to alcohol in Chapter 8.
10. How does the story of Jia Rui teach a lesson about undue lust?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)