|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bao-yu beg to go with Xi-feng in Chapter 7?
(a) The Imperial Palace.
(b) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
(c) To visit Bao-chai.
(d) The Ning Mansion.
2. What does the Taoist in the first chapter change his name to?
(a) Writer of Love.
(b) Warrior of the Sun.
(c) Brother Amor.
(d) Brother in Light.
3. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
(a) A dog.
(b) A man.
(c) A woman.
(d) A boat.
4. Where is Dai-yu to reside?
(a) The Jia family residence.
(b) At her mother's family's estate.
(c) At a convent.
(d) In boarding school.
5. What is the name of the Chinese town the story line switches too after the Taoist changes his name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bao-yu take an opportunity to go and visit at the start of Chapter 8?
2. Who does Zhen Shi-yin live with?
3. What happens to Jia Rui at the time of his first secret meeting?
4. What does Bao-yu drink while visiting Bao-chai?
5. Who do the Jia family throw a birthday party for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
2. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
3. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
4. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
5. Explore the significance of Bao-yu's inability to understand the songs the fairies sing to him about his family history, how to improve himself, and the fates of the women of the household.
6. How does the connection between Bao-yu and Bao-chai deepen in Chapter 7?
7. Why would Dai-yu find it strange that Xi-feng appears to be in charge of household affairs?
8. How does the author establish karma as a central theme in Chapter 1?
9. Hypothesize over the influence Bao-yu's father has on him despite his consistently disapproving attitude towards Bao-yu.
10. Why does Vanitas change his name to Brother Amor?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)