|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to cure Bao-yu of his lust of the mind, he is given a bride named _____.
2. During what affair is Dai-yu seated at a place of honor?
(a) The liturgy.
(b) The blessing of the hall.
(d) The wedding.
3. How does Jia Rui eventually die?
(a) He looks into the wrong side of the Taoist's mirror.
(b) He suffers heart failure.
(c) He falls out of a second floor window.
(d) He is stabbed by Xi-feng in a dream and never wakes up.
4. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
(a) That Qin-shi will die from her illness.
(b) That Qin-shi will soon fall in love.
(c) That Qin-shi is a reincarnated ancestor.
(d) That Qin-shi is malingering and not actually sick.
5. Who settles the boy in Qin Shi's room?
(c) Qin Shi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zhen Shi-yin live with?
2. What is the real reason for Jia Rui becoming ill?
3. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
4. Why does Bao-yu make a scene upon returning home from his visit with Bao-chai?
5. Knowing she is to fulfill all of Bao-yu's needs, Aroma allows him to _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be understood from Chinese diplomatic culture when considering Bao-yu's meeting with Prince Qinzhong?
2. How does the author establish karma as a central theme in Chapter 1?
3. How does the story of Jia Rui teach a lesson about undue lust?
4. In what ways is more of Xi-feng's character revealed in her thoughts about Qin-shi and her dealings with Jia Rui?
5. Is the fact that Dai-yu is offered flowers last in Chapter 7 a reasonable reflection of her status in the house at that time?
6. What can we understand from Zhen Shi-yin's dream in the first chapter?
7. What does the story of Ying-lian and Feng Yuan suggest about the role of fate and karma in the world of the novel?
8. How are Bao-yu's father's sentiments about Bao-yu depicted in Chapter 9?
9. Explore the meaning/possible symbolism behind Bao-yu's experience in the dream in Chapter 5.
10. Hypothesize over the influence Bao-yu's father has on him despite his consistently disapproving attitude towards Bao-yu.
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)