|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sends Yu-cun to the capitol with his daughter Dai-yu?
(b) Lin Ru-hai.
2. Who does Jia Rui nearly sleep with accidentally?
(c) Jia Rong.
3. What was the subject of dispute Yu-cun was set to rule over?
(a) A police killing.
(b) A robbery.
(c) A monk breaking celibacy.
(d) A slave girl.
4. Who does Bao-yu cry out to in order to help him when he is dreaming?
5. Who are Darling and Precious?
(a) The names of the principal's dogs.
(b) Two friends of Dai-yu's.
(c) Two other boys who attend the clan school.
(d) Two sisters living in the boarding school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who performs Disenchantment's A Dream of Golden Days for Bao-yu?
2. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
3. Who does the headmaster leave in charge of the school while he is on leave?
4. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
5. Who does Dai-yu learn she will be living with even though it is not customary for girls to live with boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the concepts of fate and destiny in relation to the meeting at which Bao-chai looks at Bao-yu's jade.
2. Why would Dai-yu find it strange that Xi-feng appears to be in charge of household affairs?
3. How does Bao-yu use family ties to his advantage during the events at the school?
4. How does the author make it clear in Chapter 1 that the reader should expect an element of the supernatural in the novel?
5. How does superstition appear in the events surrounding Jia Rui?
6. What is your opinion of Aroma's decision to allow Bao-yu to "have his way" with her following her discovery of his dream?
7. What can be understood from the events surrounding the situation at the school in regard to other school children making fun of the boys of the Jia clan?
8. Discuss briefly the ways in which Dai-yu's personality is developed during her first days in the Jia household.
9. How is the divide between rich and poor developed in Chapter 2?
10. Although the Jia family throws a spectacular birthday party for Jia Jing even though he refuses to leave the monastery to attend, much of the conversation centers on Qin-shi's puzzling illness. Hypothesize as to why this is.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)