|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jia-lian use as his bedroom while his daughter is ill?
(a) Outer study.
(b) Aroma's room.
(c) The living room.
(d) The Mattresses' room.
2. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
(a) A priest.
(b) An unshaven nun.
(c) An envoy of eunuchs.
(d) Jia Zheng and Grandmother Jia.
3. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
(c) Jia Rong.
4. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
(d) Attracted to Bao-yu.
5. What character does one of the child actors look like?
6. What sound comes from one of Bao-yu's rooms when the girls are ganging up on him?
(a) Quiet discussion.
(b) Angry voices.
(d) Laughing voices.
7. What causes Qin Zhong's father to die?
(a) His guilt about a huge debt.
(b) His sadness over Qin-shi's death.
(c) The stress of finding out about Qin Zhong's love affair with Sappy.
(d) The stress of Bao-yu's consistent misbehaving.
8. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
(d) Nannie Li.
9. Why does Bao-yu seek Dai-yu's company in Chapter 19?
(a) Because Aroma is angry with him.
(b) Because Xi-feng wants him to do chores.
(c) Because Bao-chai is angry with him.
(d) Because Aroma is ill.
10. What does Jia-zeng notice about Bao-yu's intelligence?
(a) That it is not so impressive.
(b) That is seems to fluctuate.
(c) That it is high.
(d) That it is atrocious to him.
11. What kind of party does Grandmother Jia decide to hold?
(a) A choir party.
(b) A poetry party.
(c) A riddle party.
(d) A poet naming party.
12. Who visits Aroma's home with Bao-yu?
13. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
(a) Bao-yu vomits blood.
(b) A maid offers to carry out the mourning responsibilities of a daughter.
(c) Xi-feng sees a demon.
(d) A maid kills herself.
14. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
(a) The refinished farmhouse.
(b) The Prospect Garden
(c) The Peachtree Court,
(d) The Cherry Blossom Garden.
15. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
(a) A suggestive statue.
(b) The poor workmanship of the garden.
(c) The extravagance to which her family has gone.
(d) Two enormous trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
2. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
3. Why does Bao-yu beg Xi-feng to let he and Qin Zhong stay longer in the temple?
4. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
5. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)