|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important event is the Prince of Bei-jing present for?
(a) Dai-yu's father's funeral.
(b) Qin-shi's funeral.
(c) Bao-yu's marriage.
(d) Xi-feng taking over the running of the Ning household.
2. Who visits Aroma's home with Bao-yu?
3. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
(b) The Mattress.
4. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
(a) Dai-yu's mother has passed away.
(b) Dai-yu's father has passed away.
(c) Bao-yu's father has passed away.
(d) Qin-shi has passed away.
5. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
(a) He continues to eat the tree bark.
(b) He is not paying attention to his studies.
(c) He is spending too much time with girls.
(d) He is ignoring her.
6. What do Bao-yu's pages take from him after the naming party for the garden for Yuan-chun?
(a) All of his wine.
(b) His magical jade.
(c) All of his trinkets.
(d) The purse given to him Dai-yu.
7. What addiction does Dai-yu discover of Bao-yu's?
(b) A novel.
8. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
(a) It decreases.
(b) It cannot get higher.
(c) It increases.
(d) It is put on hold.
9. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Qin Zhong.
(d) Jia Zheng.
10. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
(a) Twelve child actresses and twenty-four nuns.
(b) A writer to make an address to mark the occasion.
(c) A priest to bless the garden.
(d) Twenty-four child actresses and twelve nuns.
11. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
(a) A maid offers to carry out the mourning responsibilities of a daughter.
(b) A maid kills herself.
(c) Bao-yu vomits blood.
(d) Xi-feng sees a demon.
12. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
(a) The sachet given to him by Dai-yu.
(b) His schoolbooks.
(c) A rabbit foot pendant.
(d) The purse given to him by Dai-yu.
13. What does Jia-zeng notice about Bao-yu's intelligence?
(a) That it is atrocious to him.
(b) That it is not so impressive.
(c) That it is high.
(d) That is seems to fluctuate.
14. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
(d) Cousin Zhen.
15. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
(a) Blessings will be offered for her soul there.
(b) It is her favorite place to visit.
(c) She will be buried there.
(d) She once gave a speech there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What servant finds a lock of The Mattress's hair in Jia Lian's things?
2. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
3. What kind of party does Grandmother Jia decide to hold?
4. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
5. In her anger at Bao-yu, what does Dai-yu cut up?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)