|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
(a) His affection for a servant girl.
(b) His poor grades in school.
(c) His thinness and lack of muscles.
(d) His affection for his cousin.
2. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
(a) It increases.
(b) It cannot get higher.
(c) It is put on hold.
(d) It decreases.
3. What important event is the Prince of Bei-jing present for?
(a) Bao-yu's marriage.
(b) Qin-shi's funeral.
(c) Xi-feng taking over the running of the Ning household.
(d) Dai-yu's father's funeral.
4. What kind of party does Grandmother Jia decide to hold?
(a) A choir party.
(b) A poetry party.
(c) A poet naming party.
(d) A riddle party.
5. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
(a) He has been caught with a prostitute.
(b) He is disrespectful of societal hierarchies.
(c) He is only an Imperial College Student.
(d) He is openly unambitious.
6. What is Shui Rong's title?
(a) The King of Bei-jing.
(b) The Prince of Bei-jing.
(c) The head of the Rong mansion.
(d) The Prince of Shanghai.
7. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
(a) Suggest another girl who can be made a concubine.
(b) Pay a fee to the Emperor.
(c) Make an offering to the gods.
(d) Build a separate residence according to the emperor's specifications.
8. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
(a) A spot in the Corps of Officers of the Imperial Guard.
(b) A marriage proposal.
(c) A spot as a courtier of the Imperial Court.
(d) A job in a bakery.
9. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
(a) Jia Rong.
10. In her anger at Bao-yu, what does Dai-yu cut up?
(a) A sachet she has been making for Bao-yu.
(b) Her best clothes.
(c) The purse she gave to Bao-yu.
(d) Bao-yu's best clothes.
11. Who insists on being allowed to visit Qin-shi's body after her death?
(d) Jia Rong.
12. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
(a) Until he is married.
(b) While he is an adolescent.
(c) As long as Dai-yu is living there.
(d) While Yuan-chun is absent.
13. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
(c) Scarlet fever.
14. How long will burial ceremonies for Qin-shi last?
(a) Several days.
(b) One hour.
(c) Several hours.
(d) One day.
15. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
(a) His friend Qin-shi.
(b) His cousin Zhen.
(c) His cousin Ming.
(d) His uncle Feng-shu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
2. Why does Bao-yu beg Xi-feng to let he and Qin Zhong stay longer in the temple?
3. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
4. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
5. What does Xi-feng's leadership bring to the Ning house?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)