|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
(a) His cousin Ming.
(b) His uncle Feng-shu.
(c) His friend Qin-shi.
(d) His cousin Zhen.
2. What character does one of the child actors look like?
3. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
(b) Leaves from the oak tree.
(c) Bark of the oak tree.
(d) Lipstick and other cosmetics.
4. How does Xi-feng's personality as an overbearing mistress come to light in the Ning house?
(a) She severely punishes a servant for forgetting to wash some dirty laundry.
(b) She severely punishes a servant for being late to work.
(c) She admonishes each servant individually for any mistake they make.
(d) She shouts at all the servants as a group for half an hour.
5. What wakes Xi-feng from her dream about Qin-shi?
(a) The death chime.
(b) The maid entering the room.
(c) The bell for breakfast.
(d) Her father calling.
6. Who calls for Bao-yu to tell the boy he is to be moved in with the girls?
(a) Grandmother Jia.
(c) Jia Zheng.
7. What causes Qin Zhong's father to die?
(a) His sadness over Qin-shi's death.
(b) His guilt about a huge debt.
(c) The stress of finding out about Qin Zhong's love affair with Sappy.
(d) The stress of Bao-yu's consistent misbehaving.
8. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
(a) Dai-yu's father has passed away.
(b) Dai-yu's mother has passed away.
(c) Bao-yu's father has passed away.
(d) Qin-shi has passed away.
9. What addiction does Dai-yu discover of Bao-yu's?
(b) A novel.
10. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
(a) He is disrespectful of societal hierarchies.
(b) He is openly unambitious.
(c) He is only an Imperial College Student.
(d) He has been caught with a prostitute.
11. One day, Bao-yu wakes with a feeling of _____________ that will not go away.
(b) Self pity.
12. Where does the funeral procession for Qin-shi finally arrive?
(a) The Ning house.
(b) The Imperial Palace.
(c) The Jia house.
(d) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
13. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
(a) A spot as a courtier of the Imperial Court.
(b) A spot in the Corps of Officers of the Imperial Guard.
(c) A job in a bakery.
(d) A marriage proposal.
14. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Read a book.
(b) Write a poem.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Read a poem.
15. With whom does Bao-yu spend his evening after being scolded by Aroma for defending her?
(d) The Mattress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xi-feng's leadership bring to the Ning house?
2. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
3. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
4. What does Jia-zeng notice about Bao-yu's intelligence?
5. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)