|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Write a poem.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Read a book.
(d) Read a poem.
2. What causes Qin Zhong's father to die?
(a) His sadness over Qin-shi's death.
(b) The stress of finding out about Qin Zhong's love affair with Sappy.
(c) The stress of Bao-yu's consistent misbehaving.
(d) His guilt about a huge debt.
3. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
4. For what does Yuan-chun request octets be written?
(a) Four special places in the garden.
(b) Bao-yu and Dai-yu's graduations from school.
(c) Each of her future visits to the garden.
(d) Two enormous trees in the garden.
5. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
(a) All the opportunities they will have to visit each other.
(b) Her desire for them to be happy.
(c) Her disappointment at being made a concubine.
(d) How impressed she is with garden.
6. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
(a) The purse given to him by Dai-yu.
(b) A rabbit foot pendant.
(c) The sachet given to him by Dai-yu.
(d) His schoolbooks.
7. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
(a) He continues to eat the tree bark.
(b) He is ignoring her.
(c) He is not paying attention to his studies.
(d) He is spending too much time with girls.
8. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
(a) A maid kills herself.
(b) A maid offers to carry out the mourning responsibilities of a daughter.
(c) Xi-feng sees a demon.
(d) Bao-yu vomits blood.
9. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
(d) Cousin Zhen.
10. With whom does Bao-yu spend his evening after being scolded by Aroma for defending her?
(c) The Mattress.
11. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
(a) His uncle Feng-shu.
(b) His friend Qin-shi.
(c) His cousin Zhen.
(d) His cousin Ming.
12. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
(b) Feminine nagging and jealousy.
(c) Cheating women.
(d) Jealous boyfriends.
13. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
(c) The Mattress.
14. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
(a) As long as Dai-yu is living there.
(b) While Yuan-chun is absent.
(c) Until he is married.
(d) While he is an adolescent.
15. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
(b) Scarlet fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
2. What are Aroma's overall plans for Bao-yu?
3. What is Shui Rong's title?
4. What does Jia-lian use as his bedroom while his daughter is ill?
5. What servant finds a lock of The Mattress's hair in Jia Lian's things?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)