|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Xi-feng's carriage briefly stop during the funeral procession for Qin-shi?
(a) In front of the Imperial Palace.
(b) At a relative's home.
(c) At the graveyard.
(d) At a farmer's home.
2. What causes Qin Zhong's father to die?
(a) The stress of Bao-yu's consistent misbehaving.
(b) The stress of finding out about Qin Zhong's love affair with Sappy.
(c) His guilt about a huge debt.
(d) His sadness over Qin-shi's death.
3. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
(a) He is openly unambitious.
(b) He is only an Imperial College Student.
(c) He is disrespectful of societal hierarchies.
(d) He has been caught with a prostitute.
4. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
5. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
(a) Bao-yu's father has passed away.
(b) Dai-yu's father has passed away.
(c) Dai-yu's mother has passed away.
(d) Qin-shi has passed away.
6. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
(b) Jia Rong.
7. With whom does Bao-yu spend his evening after being scolded by Aroma for defending her?
(a) The Mattress.
8. How many people does Bao-yu share the romantic/erotic stories with?
9. Who does Jia-zeng realize will probably be his only heir?
10. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
(a) An envoy of eunuchs.
(b) Jia Zheng and Grandmother Jia.
(c) A priest.
(d) An unshaven nun.
11. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
(a) Leaves from the oak tree.
(c) Bark of the oak tree.
(d) Lipstick and other cosmetics.
12. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
(c) Jia Zheng.
(d) Qin Zhong.
13. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
14. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
(a) A rabbit foot pendant.
(b) The purse given to him by Dai-yu.
(c) His schoolbooks.
(d) The sachet given to him by Dai-yu.
15. Who insists on being allowed to visit Qin-shi's body after her death?
(c) Jia Rong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
2. How long will burial ceremonies for Qin-shi last?
3. How does Xi-feng's personality as an overbearing mistress come to light in the Ning house?
4. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
5. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)