|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Shui Rong give to Bao-yu?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A ring.
(c) A rosary.
(d) A tunic.
2. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
(a) His uncle Feng-shu.
(b) His cousin Ming.
(c) His cousin Zhen.
(d) His friend Qin-shi.
3. How long will burial ceremonies for Qin-shi last?
(a) One hour.
(b) One day.
(c) Several days.
(d) Several hours.
4. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
(a) It is her favorite place to visit.
(b) Blessings will be offered for her soul there.
(c) She will be buried there.
(d) She once gave a speech there.
5. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
(a) He is disrespectful of societal hierarchies.
(b) He has been caught with a prostitute.
(c) He is only an Imperial College Student.
(d) He is openly unambitious.
6. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
(a) It decreases.
(b) It is put on hold.
(c) It increases.
(d) It cannot get higher.
7. What kind of party does Grandmother Jia decide to hold?
(a) A choir party.
(b) A riddle party.
(c) A poetry party.
(d) A poet naming party.
8. One day, Bao-yu wakes with a feeling of _____________ that will not go away.
(c) Self pity.
9. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
(c) Attracted to Bao-yu.
10. Why does Bao-yu beg Xi-feng to let he and Qin Zhong stay longer in the temple?
(a) Because he is learning a lot about spirituality.
(b) Because Qin Zhong and Sappy are in love and want to spend time together.
(c) Because Qin Zhong fears going back home.
(d) Because he feels affection for a servant girl.
11. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
12. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
(a) Cousin Zhen.
13. Who insists on being allowed to visit Qin-shi's body after her death?
(c) Jia Rong.
14. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
(b) Nannie Li.
15. What important event is the Prince of Bei-jing present for?
(a) Dai-yu's father's funeral.
(b) Xi-feng taking over the running of the Ning household.
(c) Bao-yu's marriage.
(d) Qin-shi's funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
2. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
3. How many people does Bao-yu share the romantic/erotic stories with?
4. Where does Xi-feng's carriage briefly stop during the funeral procession for Qin-shi?
5. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)