|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
(a) He is ignoring her.
(b) He is spending too much time with girls.
(c) He is not paying attention to his studies.
(d) He continues to eat the tree bark.
2. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
(a) It cannot get higher.
(b) It decreases.
(c) It increases.
(d) It is put on hold.
3. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
(a) Jia Zheng and Grandmother Jia.
(b) A priest.
(c) An unshaven nun.
(d) An envoy of eunuchs.
4. Who are the invitees to Bao-yu's birthday party?
(a) Servants, friends and family only.
(b) Boa-yu's cousins only.
(c) Friends and family only.
(d) Family members only.
5. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
(a) Bao-yu vomits blood.
(b) A maid kills herself.
(c) Xi-feng sees a demon.
(d) A maid offers to carry out the mourning responsibilities of a daughter.
6. What gift does Shui Rong give to Bao-yu?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A ring.
(d) A tunic.
7. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
(a) All the opportunities they will have to visit each other.
(b) Her desire for them to be happy.
(c) Her disappointment at being made a concubine.
(d) How impressed she is with garden.
8. Who gives temporary names to places and things in the garden for Yuan-chun?
(a) Jia Zheng, his literary friends, and Bao-yu.
(b) Bao-yu and Qin Zhong.
(d) Jia Zheng and Yuan-chun.
9. What do Bao-yu's pages take from him after the naming party for the garden for Yuan-chun?
(a) All of his wine.
(b) The purse given to him Dai-yu.
(c) His magical jade.
(d) All of his trinkets.
10. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
(c) The Mattress.
11. What character does one of the child actors look like?
12. What are Aroma's overall plans for Bao-yu?
(a) To take his money.
(b) To leave the service of the Jia family.
(c) To work on his character flaws.
(d) To sleep with him.
13. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
(a) Scarlet fever.
14. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
(a) His poor grades in school.
(b) His affection for his cousin.
(c) His thinness and lack of muscles.
(d) His affection for a servant girl.
15. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Read a poem.
(b) Read a book.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Write a poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the funeral procession for Qin-shi finally arrive?
2. What important event is the Prince of Bei-jing present for?
3. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
4. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
5. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)