|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes Xi-feng from her dream about Qin-shi?
(a) The death chime.
(b) The bell for breakfast.
(c) The maid entering the room.
(d) Her father calling.
2. It is Yuan-chun's hope that this move to live with the girls _____.
(a) Will encourage the boy to study more.
(b) Will increase his intelligence.
(c) Will make him become more mature.
(d) Will stop him from eating lipstick.
3. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
(a) A job in a bakery.
(b) A spot in the Corps of Officers of the Imperial Guard.
(c) A spot as a courtier of the Imperial Court.
(d) A marriage proposal.
4. What important event happens on the day of Jia Zheng's birthday?
(a) Bao-yu's study is finished.
(b) Xi-feng returns home.
(c) Yuan-chun is chosen as an Imperial Concubine.
(d) Qin Zhong falls ill.
5. What is the attitude of Jia Zheng's literary friends towards Bao-yu?
(a) They belittle him.
(b) They are sympathetic towards him.
(c) They constantly praise him.
(d) They show they do not care for him.
6. What arrangements does Xi-feng talk to her husband about in relation to get-togethers?
(a) Dai-yu's blessing.
(b) Boa-chai's birthday party.
(c) Yuan-chun's next visit.
(d) Bao-yu's birthday party.
7. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
(c) Scarlet fever.
8. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Read a poem.
(b) Write a poem.
(c) Take a nap.
(d) Read a book.
9. What sound comes from one of Bao-yu's rooms when the girls are ganging up on him?
(a) Quiet discussion.
(b) Angry voices.
(d) Laughing voices.
10. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
11. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
(a) Pay a fee to the Emperor.
(b) Build a separate residence according to the emperor's specifications.
(c) Make an offering to the gods.
(d) Suggest another girl who can be made a concubine.
12. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
(d) The Mattress.
13. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
(a) He is disrespectful of societal hierarchies.
(b) He has been caught with a prostitute.
(c) He is openly unambitious.
(d) He is only an Imperial College Student.
14. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
(a) The sachet given to him by Dai-yu.
(b) A rabbit foot pendant.
(c) His schoolbooks.
(d) The purse given to him by Dai-yu.
15. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
(d) Jia Rong.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people does Bao-yu share the romantic/erotic stories with?
2. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
3. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
4. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
5. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)