|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Read a book.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Write a poem.
(d) Read a poem.
2. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
(a) It decreases.
(b) It is put on hold.
(c) It increases.
(d) It cannot get higher.
3. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
(a) A maid kills herself.
(b) A maid offers to carry out the mourning responsibilities of a daughter.
(c) Bao-yu vomits blood.
(d) Xi-feng sees a demon.
4. Why does Bao-yu beg Xi-feng to let he and Qin Zhong stay longer in the temple?
(a) Because he is learning a lot about spirituality.
(b) Because he feels affection for a servant girl.
(c) Because Qin Zhong and Sappy are in love and want to spend time together.
(d) Because Qin Zhong fears going back home.
5. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
6. What arrangements does Xi-feng talk to her husband about in relation to get-togethers?
(a) Dai-yu's blessing.
(b) Yuan-chun's next visit.
(c) Bao-yu's birthday party.
(d) Boa-chai's birthday party.
7. What are Aroma's overall plans for Bao-yu?
(a) To work on his character flaws.
(b) To take his money.
(c) To sleep with him.
(d) To leave the service of the Jia family.
8. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
(a) Cheating women.
(b) Feminine nagging and jealousy.
(d) Jealous boyfriends.
9. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
10. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
(a) Jia Rong.
11. What is Shui Rong's title?
(a) The head of the Rong mansion.
(b) The Prince of Shanghai.
(c) The Prince of Bei-jing.
(d) The King of Bei-jing.
12. It is Yuan-chun's hope that this move to live with the girls _____.
(a) Will stop him from eating lipstick.
(b) Will increase his intelligence.
(c) Will make him become more mature.
(d) Will encourage the boy to study more.
13. What does Jia-zeng notice about Bao-yu's intelligence?
(a) That it is high.
(b) That it is atrocious to him.
(c) That is seems to fluctuate.
(d) That it is not so impressive.
14. Who helps Bao-yu with writing poems for Yuan-chun?
(a) Xi-feng and Dai-yu.
(b) Bao-chai and Dai-yu.
(c) Qin Zhong and Bao-chai.
(d) Jia Zheng and his literary friends.
15. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
(a) Bark of the oak tree.
(b) Leaves from the oak tree.
(c) Lipstick and other cosmetics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
2. Where does Yuan-chun order that the girls of the house and Bao-yu be allowed to live?
3. Who visits Aroma's home with Bao-yu?
4. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
5. What important event is the Prince of Bei-jing present for?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)