|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character does one of the child actors look like?
2. In her anger at Bao-yu, what does Dai-yu cut up?
(a) The purse she gave to Bao-yu.
(b) A sachet she has been making for Bao-yu.
(c) Her best clothes.
(d) Bao-yu's best clothes.
3. What important event is the Prince of Bei-jing present for?
(a) Bao-yu's marriage.
(b) Qin-shi's funeral.
(c) Dai-yu's father's funeral.
(d) Xi-feng taking over the running of the Ning household.
4. What gift does Shui Rong give to Bao-yu?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A tunic.
(d) A ring.
5. What kind of party does Grandmother Jia decide to hold?
(a) A poet naming party.
(b) A poetry party.
(c) A choir party.
(d) A riddle party.
6. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
(a) The poor workmanship of the garden.
(b) A suggestive statue.
(c) The extravagance to which her family has gone.
(d) Two enormous trees.
7. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
8. What is Shui Rong's title?
(a) The Prince of Bei-jing.
(b) The head of the Rong mansion.
(c) The King of Bei-jing.
(d) The Prince of Shanghai.
9. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
(a) As long as Dai-yu is living there.
(b) Until he is married.
(c) While Yuan-chun is absent.
(d) While he is an adolescent.
10. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
11. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Read a poem.
(b) Read a book.
(c) Write a poem.
(d) Take a nap.
12. Why does Bao-yu beg Xi-feng to let he and Qin Zhong stay longer in the temple?
(a) Because Qin Zhong and Sappy are in love and want to spend time together.
(b) Because Qin Zhong fears going back home.
(c) Because he feels affection for a servant girl.
(d) Because he is learning a lot about spirituality.
13. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
(b) Scarlet fever.
14. It is Yuan-chun's hope that this move to live with the girls _____.
(a) Will encourage the boy to study more.
(b) Will stop him from eating lipstick.
(c) Will make him become more mature.
(d) Will increase his intelligence.
15. Who scolds the maids for their mess?
(a) Nannie Li.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
2. What does Xi-feng's leadership bring to the Ning house?
3. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
4. Where does Xi-feng's carriage briefly stop during the funeral procession for Qin-shi?
5. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)