|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
2. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
(a) The extravagance to which her family has gone.
(b) The poor workmanship of the garden.
(c) A suggestive statue.
(d) Two enormous trees.
3. What gift does Shui Rong give to Bao-yu?
(a) A ring.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A rosary.
(d) A tunic.
4. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
(a) A priest to bless the garden.
(b) A writer to make an address to mark the occasion.
(c) Twenty-four child actresses and twelve nuns.
(d) Twelve child actresses and twenty-four nuns.
5. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
6. What wakes Xi-feng from her dream about Qin-shi?
(a) The death chime.
(b) The bell for breakfast.
(c) The maid entering the room.
(d) Her father calling.
7. What is Jia Rong offered immediately after there is concern about his status?
(a) A spot in the Corps of Officers of the Imperial Guard.
(b) A marriage proposal.
(c) A job in a bakery.
(d) A spot as a courtier of the Imperial Court.
8. What is most important about The Temple of the Iron Threshold in relation to Qin-shi?
(a) She will be buried there.
(b) Blessings will be offered for her soul there.
(c) She once gave a speech there.
(d) It is her favorite place to visit.
9. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
(a) Jia Zheng and Grandmother Jia.
(b) A priest.
(c) An unshaven nun.
(d) An envoy of eunuchs.
10. What addiction does Dai-yu discover of Bao-yu's?
(d) A novel.
11. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
(a) His poor grades in school.
(b) His thinness and lack of muscles.
(c) His affection for his cousin.
(d) His affection for a servant girl.
12. What is the attitude of Jia Zheng's literary friends towards Bao-yu?
(a) They constantly praise him.
(b) They are sympathetic towards him.
(c) They belittle him.
(d) They show they do not care for him.
13. Who dies at the end of Chapter 16?
(b) Qin Zhong.
(c) Jia Zheng.
14. How many people does Bao-yu share the romantic/erotic stories with?
15. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
(a) The sachet given to him by Dai-yu.
(b) A rabbit foot pendant.
(c) His schoolbooks.
(d) The purse given to him by Dai-yu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
2. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
3. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
4. What important event happens on the day of Jia Zheng's birthday?
5. What servant finds a lock of The Mattress's hair in Jia Lian's things?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)