|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
(a) Jealous boyfriends.
(c) Cheating women.
(d) Feminine nagging and jealousy.
2. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
(a) How impressed she is with garden.
(b) All the opportunities they will have to visit each other.
(c) Her desire for them to be happy.
(d) Her disappointment at being made a concubine.
3. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
(d) Scarlet fever.
4. What is the attitude of Jia Zheng's literary friends towards Bao-yu?
(a) They belittle him.
(b) They show they do not care for him.
(c) They constantly praise him.
(d) They are sympathetic towards him.
5. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
(a) Make an offering to the gods.
(b) Build a separate residence according to the emperor's specifications.
(c) Pay a fee to the Emperor.
(d) Suggest another girl who can be made a concubine.
6. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
(c) Nannie Li.
7. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
(a) Cousin Zhen.
8. What important event happens on the day of Jia Zheng's birthday?
(a) Xi-feng returns home.
(b) Yuan-chun is chosen as an Imperial Concubine.
(c) Qin Zhong falls ill.
(d) Bao-yu's study is finished.
9. Why does Bao-yu beg Xi-feng to let he and Qin Zhong stay longer in the temple?
(a) Because Qin Zhong fears going back home.
(b) Because he feels affection for a servant girl.
(c) Because Qin Zhong and Sappy are in love and want to spend time together.
(d) Because he is learning a lot about spirituality.
10. What do Bao-yu's pages take from him after the naming party for the garden for Yuan-chun?
(a) The purse given to him Dai-yu.
(b) All of his wine.
(c) All of his trinkets.
(d) His magical jade.
11. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
(a) His thinness and lack of muscles.
(b) His affection for a servant girl.
(c) His affection for his cousin.
(d) His poor grades in school.
12. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
(c) The Mattress.
13. Who calls for Bao-yu to tell the boy he is to be moved in with the girls?
(c) Grandmother Jia.
(d) Jia Zheng.
14. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
(a) An unshaven nun.
(b) Jia Zheng and Grandmother Jia.
(c) An envoy of eunuchs.
(d) A priest.
15. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
Short Answer Questions
1. What servant finds a lock of The Mattress's hair in Jia Lian's things?
2. Where does the funeral procession for Qin-shi finally arrive?
3. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
4. What sound comes from one of Bao-yu's rooms when the girls are ganging up on him?
5. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)