|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
(a) How impressed she is with garden.
(b) Her disappointment at being made a concubine.
(c) Her desire for them to be happy.
(d) All the opportunities they will have to visit each other.
2. How long will burial ceremonies for Qin-shi last?
(a) Several days.
(b) One hour.
(c) Several hours.
(d) One day.
3. With whom does Bao-yu spend his evening after being scolded by Aroma for defending her?
(a) The Mattress.
4. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
(a) An envoy of eunuchs.
(b) A priest.
(c) Jia Zheng and Grandmother Jia.
(d) An unshaven nun.
5. In her anger at Bao-yu, what does Dai-yu cut up?
(a) A sachet she has been making for Bao-yu.
(b) Her best clothes.
(c) Bao-yu's best clothes.
(d) The purse she gave to Bao-yu.
6. What does Xi-feng's leadership bring to the Ning house?
(a) Order and peace.
(b) Disharmony and distrust.
(c) A tyrannical atmosphere of constant fear.
(d) A slack and uncaring attitude among the servants.
7. Why does Bao-yu seek Dai-yu's company in Chapter 19?
(a) Because Xi-feng wants him to do chores.
(b) Because Aroma is ill.
(c) Because Aroma is angry with him.
(d) Because Bao-chai is angry with him.
8. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
(a) Cousin Zhen.
9. Who are the invitees to Bao-yu's birthday party?
(a) Friends and family only.
(b) Boa-yu's cousins only.
(c) Family members only.
(d) Servants, friends and family only.
10. Why is Aroma upset with Bao-yu in Chapter 21?
(a) He is not paying attention to his studies.
(b) He continues to eat the tree bark.
(c) He is ignoring her.
(d) He is spending too much time with girls.
11. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
(a) A rabbit foot pendant.
(b) The purse given to him by Dai-yu.
(c) His schoolbooks.
(d) The sachet given to him by Dai-yu.
12. What does Aroma urge Bao-yu to stop eating?
(a) Bark of the oak tree.
(b) Lipstick and other cosmetics.
(d) Leaves from the oak tree.
13. What causes Qin Zhong's father to die?
(a) His sadness over Qin-shi's death.
(b) The stress of Bao-yu's consistent misbehaving.
(c) His guilt about a huge debt.
(d) The stress of finding out about Qin Zhong's love affair with Sappy.
14. What do Bao-yu's pages take from him after the naming party for the garden for Yuan-chun?
(a) All of his wine.
(b) The purse given to him Dai-yu.
(c) His magical jade.
(d) All of his trinkets.
15. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
(a) The extravagance to which her family has gone.
(b) The poor workmanship of the garden.
(c) A suggestive statue.
(d) Two enormous trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, Bao-yu wakes with a feeling of _____________ that will not go away.
2. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
3. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
4. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
5. How does Xi-feng's personality as an overbearing mistress come to light in the Ning house?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)