|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which servant does Lian desire but who won't let him have her?
(d) The Mattress.
2. How many people does Bao-yu share the romantic/erotic stories with?
3. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
(a) It is put on hold.
(b) It increases.
(c) It cannot get higher.
(d) It decreases.
4. Xi-feng's infant daughter becomes ill with _____.
(c) Scarlet fever.
5. What gift does Shui Rong give to Bao-yu?
(a) A ring.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A rosary.
(d) A tunic.
6. Who insists on being allowed to visit Qin-shi's body after her death?
(d) Jia Rong.
7. What servant finds a lock of The Mattress's hair in Jia Lian's things?
8. Who is Yuan-chun overjoyed to see when she comes to see the garden?
(b) Jia Zheng.
(c) Jia Rong.
9. Where does the funeral procession for Qin-shi finally arrive?
(a) The Ning house.
(b) The Imperial Palace.
(c) The Jia house.
(d) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
10. Who scolds the maids for their mess?
(d) Nannie Li.
11. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
(a) His cousin Zhen.
(b) His friend Qin-shi.
(c) His uncle Feng-shu.
(d) His cousin Ming.
12. Who calls for Bao-yu to tell the boy he is to be moved in with the girls?
(b) Grandmother Jia.
(c) Jia Zheng.
13. What does Jia-zeng notice about Bao-yu's intelligence?
(a) That it is high.
(b) That is seems to fluctuate.
(c) That it is atrocious to him.
(d) That it is not so impressive.
14. What is Shui Rong's title?
(a) The Prince of Bei-jing.
(b) The King of Bei-jing.
(c) The Prince of Shanghai.
(d) The head of the Rong mansion.
15. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
(a) Jia Zheng and Grandmother Jia.
(b) An unshaven nun.
(c) A priest.
(d) An envoy of eunuchs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
2. Who are the invitees to Bao-yu's birthday party?
3. In Xi-feng's dream, why is Qin-shi concerned about the family falling on hard times?
4. Who does Jia-zeng realize will probably be his only heir?
5. What important event is the Prince of Bei-jing present for?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)