|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Yuan-chun request octets be written?
(a) Bao-yu and Dai-yu's graduations from school.
(b) Each of her future visits to the garden.
(c) Two enormous trees in the garden.
(d) Four special places in the garden.
2. One day, Bao-yu wakes with a feeling of _____________ that will not go away.
(a) Self pity.
3. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
(a) Her disappointment at being made a concubine.
(b) How impressed she is with garden.
(c) Her desire for them to be happy.
(d) All the opportunities they will have to visit each other.
4. Who does Jia-zeng realize will probably be his only heir?
5. What is Dai-yu trying to do when Bao-yu comes to visit her in Chapter 19?
(a) Write a poem.
(b) Read a book.
(c) Read a poem.
(d) Take a nap.
6. How does Xi-feng's personality as an overbearing mistress come to light in the Ning house?
(a) She admonishes each servant individually for any mistake they make.
(b) She severely punishes a servant for forgetting to wash some dirty laundry.
(c) She shouts at all the servants as a group for half an hour.
(d) She severely punishes a servant for being late to work.
7. What is the attitude of Jia Zheng's literary friends towards Bao-yu?
(a) They belittle him.
(b) They show they do not care for him.
(c) They are sympathetic towards him.
(d) They constantly praise him.
8. Who insists on being allowed to visit Qin-shi's body after her death?
(d) Jia Rong.
9. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
10. When Dai-yu hears one of Bao-yu's romantic stories, she becomes _____.
(c) Attracted to Bao-yu.
11. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
12. As Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin Zhong talk during Chapter 14, what do they learn has happened?
(a) Dai-yu's father has passed away.
(b) Bao-yu's father has passed away.
(c) Dai-yu's mother has passed away.
(d) Qin-shi has passed away.
13. What does Bao-yu call for an end for in his altered poem?
(b) Cheating women.
(c) Feminine nagging and jealousy.
(d) Jealous boyfriends.
14. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
15. What causes Qin Zhong's father to die?
(a) His sadness over Qin-shi's death.
(b) His guilt about a huge debt.
(c) The stress of Bao-yu's consistent misbehaving.
(d) The stress of finding out about Qin Zhong's love affair with Sappy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Yuan-chun's arrival at her garden?
2. Why does Bao-yu beg Xi-feng to let he and Qin Zhong stay longer in the temple?
3. In her anger at Bao-yu, what does Dai-yu cut up?
4. What does Jia-lian use as his bedroom while his daughter is ill?
5. What must families of concubines do so that they can meet together in private?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)