|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day, Bao-yu wakes with a feeling of _____________ that will not go away.
(b) Self pity.
2. After a night's sleep, who does Bao-yu wake up next to in Chapter 21?
3. What did Bao-yu not allow to be taken from him by his pages?
(a) A rabbit foot pendant.
(b) The sachet given to him by Dai-yu.
(c) His schoolbooks.
(d) The purse given to him by Dai-yu.
4. Who calls for Bao-yu to tell the boy he is to be moved in with the girls?
(c) Grandmother Jia.
(d) Jia Zheng.
5. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
(a) While he is an adolescent.
(b) While Yuan-chun is absent.
(c) Until he is married.
(d) As long as Dai-yu is living there.
6. What is purchased for Yuan-chun's first visit to her garden?
(a) A priest to bless the garden.
(b) A writer to make an address to mark the occasion.
(c) Twelve child actresses and twenty-four nuns.
(d) Twenty-four child actresses and twelve nuns.
7. Where does Xi-feng's carriage briefly stop during the funeral procession for Qin-shi?
(a) At a farmer's home.
(b) At a relative's home.
(c) At the graveyard.
(d) In front of the Imperial Palace.
8. Who scolds the maids for their mess?
(c) Nannie Li.
9. Why does Bao-yu seek Dai-yu's company in Chapter 19?
(a) Because Xi-feng wants him to do chores.
(b) Because Aroma is ill.
(c) Because Bao-chai is angry with him.
(d) Because Aroma is angry with him.
10. What does Yuan-chun remind the family of as she departs from the garden?
(a) All the opportunities they will have to visit each other.
(b) Her disappointment at being made a concubine.
(c) Her desire for them to be happy.
(d) How impressed she is with garden.
11. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
12. Who is the love interest of Bao-yu's newly adopted "son" Jia Yun?
(c) The Mattress.
13. What does Jia-lian use as his bedroom while his daughter is ill?
(a) The Mattresses' room.
(b) Aroma's room.
(c) The living room.
(d) Outer study.
14. Who gives temporary names to places and things in the garden for Yuan-chun?
(a) Jia Zheng, his literary friends, and Bao-yu.
(b) Jia Zheng and Yuan-chun.
(d) Bao-yu and Qin Zhong.
15. Who insists on being allowed to visit Qin-shi's body after her death?
(d) Jia Rong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bao-yu pick at Qin Zhong about while staying at the temple?
2. What is Yuan-chun shocked by when she first sees the garden?
3. With whom does Bao-yu spend his evening after being scolded by Aroma for defending her?
4. What is Shui Rong's title?
5. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)