|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound comes from one of Bao-yu's rooms when the girls are ganging up on him?
(a) Quiet discussion.
(c) Angry voices.
(d) Laughing voices.
2. Which is the only character who chooses not to rest and recuperate after Yuan-chun's visit?
3. Who calls for Bao-yu to tell the boy he is to be moved in with the girls?
(c) Jia Zheng.
(d) Grandmother Jia.
4. During what time will Bao-yu be allowed to live with the girls?
(a) Until he is married.
(b) As long as Dai-yu is living there.
(c) While Yuan-chun is absent.
(d) While he is an adolescent.
5. What do Bao-yu's pages take from him after the naming party for the garden for Yuan-chun?
(a) His magical jade.
(b) All of his trinkets.
(c) The purse given to him Dai-yu.
(d) All of his wine.
6. To whose house does Bao-yu wander to to study to look at a painting that he likes?
(a) His uncle Feng-shu.
(b) His friend Qin-shi.
(c) His cousin Ming.
(d) His cousin Zhen.
7. Who gives Bao-yu a present of romantic, sexual love stories to read?
8. Who does the Prince of Bei-jing ask to meet?
(d) Jia Rong.
9. What is there concern about when it comes to Jia Rong's status?
(a) He has been caught with a prostitute.
(b) He is openly unambitious.
(c) He is disrespectful of societal hierarchies.
(d) He is only an Imperial College Student.
10. What does Jia-lian use as his bedroom while his daughter is ill?
(a) The living room.
(b) Aroma's room.
(c) The Mattresses' room.
(d) Outer study.
11. What happens to Jia Zheng's dislike for Bao-yu towards the end of the novel?
(a) It increases.
(b) It cannot get higher.
(c) It decreases.
(d) It is put on hold.
12. What wakes Xi-feng from her dream about Qin-shi?
(a) The maid entering the room.
(b) The death chime.
(c) The bell for breakfast.
(d) Her father calling.
13. What character does one of the child actors look like?
14. Who does Jia-zeng realize will probably be his only heir?
15. Which of the following does NOT happen in the wake of Qin-shi's death?
(a) Bao-yu vomits blood.
(b) Xi-feng sees a demon.
(c) A maid offers to carry out the mourning responsibilities of a daughter.
(d) A maid kills herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scolds the maids for their mess?
2. Who seeks advice from Bao-yu about how to take care of the Ning household?
3. Who gives temporary names to places and things in the garden for Yuan-chun?
4. Who scolds Aroma for not getting up when she enters a room?
5. Who does Bao-yu see sleeping with a girl?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)