|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the headmaster going on leave?
(a) To meet the Jia family.
(b) He is ill.
(c) To attend business.
(d) To take vacation.
2. What does the doctor believe about his patient's prognosis at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) If she lives past the spring equinox, she will have a full recovery.
(b) If she does not recover by the lunar eclipse time, she will die.
(c) If she lives to see the solar eclipse, she will recover.
(d) She must wait for the lunar eclipse to see any improvement of symptoms.
3. Who settles the boy in Qin Shi's room?
(b) Qin Shi.
4. What is the real reason for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) He is lovesick.
(b) He eats food that has gone bad.
(c) He is doused with contents of a slop pail.
(d) He falls into a stagnant pond.
5. At the birthday party in Chapter 11, what does much of the conversation center on?
(a) Bao-yu's lack of study skills.
(b) Qin-shi's puzzling illness.
(c) Jia Jing's life in the monastery.
(d) Qin Zhong's good looks.
6. Who performs Disenchantment's A Dream of Golden Days for Bao-yu?
(b) The fairies.
(d) The sorcerer.
7. They reach the Ford of Error where Bao-yu finds himself being pulled into _____.
(a) Dai-yu's room.
(c) The ford.
(d) A cave of jewels.
8. What does Yu-cun do to the usher as a result of feeling uncomfortable around him?
(a) Has the usher arrested.
(b) Calls in a complaint to the police anonymously.
(c) Flees the city.
(d) Kills the usher's father.
9. Who do the Jia family throw a birthday party for?
(a) Jia Qiang.
(c) Jia Rui.
(d) Jia Jing.
10. Who starts to make regular visits to Qin-shi after the birthday party?
(b) Jia Rui.
(d) Bao-yu's father.
11. Although the songs tell the story of his family's life, Bao-yu is bored and does not understand what?
(a) That he must wake up.
(b) The lyrics.
(c) Why he is there.
(d) Who is singing the song.
12. What do the more ill-bred students do in light of the headmaster's absence?
(a) Take the chance to pick on Qin Zhong, Bao-yu, Darling, and Precious.
(b) Take the chance to skip school and invite Qin Zhong, Bao-yu, Darling, and Precious.
(c) Take the chance to skip school.
(d) Cheat on their exams with Dai-yu.
13. Before Bao-yu leaves for school, his father berates him for _____.
(a) Forgetting his books.
(b) Leaving late.
(c) His desire to skip the first day.
(d) His lack of study skills.
14. What does Xi-feng make Jia Rui believe about herself?
(a) That she wants nothing to do with him.
(b) That she is much older than him.
(c) That she is very rich.
(d) That she is interested in him.
15. What does the family take notice in terms of Dai-yu's situation?
(a) She is an outspoken girl.
(b) She is a jovial child.
(c) She is very tall and elegant.
(d) She is in a weakened state.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jia Yu-cun and Leng Zi-xing, what makes a person fundamentally good or bad?
2. What do Bao-chai and Zhou Rai's wife talk about at the start of Chapter 7?
3. Who is brought to life by a magical fictional stone?
4. During the party Bao-yu becomes...
5. Who are Darling and Precious?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)