|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yu-cun let the family know about the murder case?
(a) That the matter of the murder has been cleared up.
(b) That they will need to come to court.
(c) That they will need to pay a large sum of money.
(d) That they are indicted until the case is closed.
2. At the birthday party in Chapter 11, what does much of the conversation center on?
(a) Qin Zhong's good looks.
(b) Bao-yu's lack of study skills.
(c) Qin-shi's puzzling illness.
(d) Jia Jing's life in the monastery.
3. What was the subject of dispute Yu-cun was set to rule over?
(a) A monk breaking celibacy.
(b) A police killing.
(c) A robbery.
(d) A slave girl.
4. What does the monk promise to do to the stone?
(a) Take it home.
(b) Find it a home.
(c) Carve it.
(d) Inscribe it.
5. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
6. Who warns Yu-cun not to arrest Xue?
(a) A monk.
(b) The usher.
(c) Feng Yuan.
(d) Lady Wang.
7. Who are Darling and Precious?
(a) Two friends of Dai-yu's.
(b) Two other boys who attend the clan school.
(c) The names of the principal's dogs.
(d) Two sisters living in the boarding school.
8. Who interrupts Bao-yu's visit with Bao-chai in Chapter 8?
(b) Qin Zhong.
9. Who does Bao-yu cry out to in order to help him when he is dreaming?
10. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
(a) That Qin-shi is malingering and not actually sick.
(b) That Qin-shi will die from her illness.
(c) That Qin-shi will soon fall in love.
(d) That Qin-shi is a reincarnated ancestor.
11. What is the subject of the conversation Zhen Shi-yin overhears in his dream?
(a) The curse of the magical stone.
(b) The future of his daughter's life.
(c) A problem with his son's character.
(d) The future of the magical stone.
12. Who makes a loud entrance at the Jia residence?
(c) Wang Xi-feng.
13. Who suggests a complex plan of action to bring a satisfactory end to the whole affair over which Yu-cun is presiding?
(a) A Taoist.
(b) The slave girl.
(c) The usher.
(d) A monk.
14. Who are the first people who come across the stone after the goddess leaves it there?
(a) A monk and priest.
(b) A Buddhist and monk.
(c) A monk and Taoist.
(d) A warrior and monk.
15. Who sends Yu-cun to the capitol with his daughter Dai-yu?
(c) Lin Ru-hai.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xi-feng make Jia Rui believe about herself?
2. What do Bao-yu and Qin Zhong quickly learn about each other?
3. What does Xi-feng do when Bao-yu questions a servant at the Ning Mansion?
4. What is Bao-yu's first question to Dai-yu?
5. What does Grannie finally admit to Zhou under pressure?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)