|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yu-cun feel uncomfortable around the usher?
(a) Because he overheard the usher plotting against him.
(b) Because he knew Yu-cun before he was high ranking.
(c) Because the usher is his uncle.
(d) Because the usher has killed his friend.
2. What do the more ill-bred students do in light of the headmaster's absence?
(a) Take the chance to skip school.
(b) Take the chance to pick on Qin Zhong, Bao-yu, Darling, and Precious.
(c) Cheat on their exams with Dai-yu.
(d) Take the chance to skip school and invite Qin Zhong, Bao-yu, Darling, and Precious.
3. What develops between the three main characters of the book?
(a) A long-term friendship.
(b) A love triangle.
(c) Great hate.
(d) A mysterious murder.
4. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
(a) Lovely Mountain.
(b) Greensickness Peak.
(c) Valley of Misfortune.
(d) Fortune Cliff.
5. What do Qin Zhong and Darling do while the headmaster is out?
(a) Run away.
(b) Pick on Dai-yu.
(c) Skip school for three days.
(d) Arrange to secretly go outside to talk.
6. What do Bao-chai and Zhou Rai's wife talk about at the start of Chapter 7?
(a) The difficult prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
(b) Their problems with their children.
(c) Zhou Rai's wife's problems with her husband.
(d) The simple prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
7. Who starts school at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Dai-yu and Bao-yu.
(b) Qin Zhong and Dai-yu.
(c) Bao-chai and Bao-yu.
(d) Bao-yu and Qin Zhong.
8. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
(a) A woman.
(b) A man.
(c) A boat.
(d) A dog.
9. What feeling is Bao-yu filled with in his dream?
10. In order to cure Bao-yu of his lust of the mind, he is given a bride named _____.
11. Who makes a loud entrance at the Jia residence?
(c) Wang Xi-feng.
12. What is the reason given against Yu-cun arresting Xue?
(a) Yu-cun does not understand the circumstances.
(b) Xue is from a rich family.
(c) Xue is cursed.
(d) Xue will put a curse on him.
13. Where is the party Grandmother Jia and the family held?
(a) At the Regal Greenhouse.
(b) At the Regal Theatre.
(c) At the Cherry Blossom Courtyard.
(d) At the Ning Mansion.
14. Who is suffering from a mysterious sickness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Qin Zhong.
15. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
Short Answer Questions
1. Although the songs tell the story of his family's life, Bao-yu is bored and does not understand what?
2. What does the doctor believe about his patient's prognosis at the end of Chapter 10?
3. What do Bao-yu and Xi-feng hear as they leave the Ning Mansion?
4. Grannie Liu first sees Xi-feng who makes the suggestion that these relatives don't visit because they find the Jias _____.
5. What does Xi-feng do when Bao-yu questions a servant at the Ning Mansion?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)