|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the main story line follow?
(a) The growing up years of friends Bao-yu, Precious, and Jokey Jin.
(b) The growing up years of sisters Qan-yen, Qin-shi, and Dai-yu.
(c) The growing up years of cousins Bao-yu, Dai-yu, and Bao-chai.
(d) The growing up years of brothers Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin-Zhong.
2. Who reveals sexual feelings for Xi-feng to her around the time of the birthday party?
(a) Jia Jing.
(c) Qin Zhong.
(d) Jia Rui.
3. What is the name of the Chinese town the story line switches too after the Taoist changes his name?
4. What develops between the three main characters of the book?
(a) Great hate.
(b) A long-term friendship.
(c) A mysterious murder.
(d) A love triangle.
5. What does the monk promise to do to the stone?
(a) Find it a home.
(b) Inscribe it.
(c) Carve it.
(d) Take it home.
6. What do Bao-chai and Zhou Rai's wife talk about at the start of Chapter 7?
(a) Their problems with their children.
(b) Zhou Rai's wife's problems with her husband.
(c) The simple prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
(d) The difficult prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
7. In order to cure Bao-yu of his lust of the mind, he is given a bride named _____.
8. Which character from earlier in the book resurfaces working as a maid under the name Caltrop?
(b) Disenchantment, the fairy.
(d) Ying Lian.
9. When Bao-yu visits the Department of the Ill-Fated Fair, what is he allowed to look at?
(a) Three registers of the youngest women in Jinling.
(b) A meeting of all the beautiful women of Jinling.
(c) Three registers of the most beautiful girls in Jinling.
(d) The naked body of the most beautiful woman in Jinling.
10. Who does the headmaster leave in charge of the school while he is on leave?
(a) His nephew.
(b) His grandson.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His niece.
11. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 7?
(a) Because she is brought the flowers last.
(b) Because she feels she has been punished for no reason.
(c) Because Bao-yu has chosen the same time to visit Bao-chai.
(d) Because Bao-yu taunts her.
12. What do Qin Zhong and Darling do while the headmaster is out?
(a) Skip school for three days.
(b) Run away.
(c) Pick on Dai-yu.
(d) Arrange to secretly go outside to talk.
13. They reach the Ford of Error where Bao-yu finds himself being pulled into _____.
(a) A cave of jewels.
(c) The ford.
(d) Dai-yu's room.
14. Who does Jia Rui nearly sleep with accidentally?
(c) Jia Rong.
15. Who forms deeps friendship with Darling and Precious?
(a) Dai-yu and Qin Zhong.
(b) Bao-chai and Dai-yu.
(c) Qin Zhong and Bao-yu.
(d) Dai-yu and Bao-yu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 8?
2. What does Bao-yu do when the answer from Dai-yu is "no"?
3. Who does Dai-yu learn she will be living with even though it is not customary for girls to live with boys?
4. How long did Feng Yuan wait to marry the girl in which he was interested?
5. What actual name does Bao-yu cry out in his sleep?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)