|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Bao-chai and Zhou Rai's wife talk about at the start of Chapter 7?
(a) The difficult prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
(b) Their problems with their children.
(c) Zhou Rai's wife's problems with her husband.
(d) The simple prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
2. Grannie Liu visits the Rong Mansion under the cover of seeing Mrs. Zhou, an old friend, but what is she really looking for?
(a) The Jia family will.
(b) Bao-yu's stone.
(c) A runaway servant.
(d) A hand out.
3. Where does Bao-yu beg to go with Xi-feng in Chapter 7?
(a) The Imperial Palace.
(b) The Ning Mansion.
(c) To visit Bao-chai.
(d) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
4. At the birthday party in Chapter 11, what does much of the conversation center on?
(a) Qin Zhong's good looks.
(b) Qin-shi's puzzling illness.
(c) Jia Jing's life in the monastery.
(d) Bao-yu's lack of study skills.
5. Who does Bao-yu take an opportunity to go and visit at the start of Chapter 8?
(d) Qin Zhong.
6. Grannie Liu first sees Xi-feng who makes the suggestion that these relatives don't visit because they find the Jias _____.
(b) Too busy.
7. What is Dai-yu most concerned about on the first day of school?
(a) If Bao-yu's father will also become angry with her one day.
(b) How she will be able to study and also work at the estate.
(c) If she will fit in.
(d) Whether or not Bao-yu will bid farewell to Bao-chai also.
8. Who does Dai-yu learn she will be living with even though it is not customary for girls to live with boys?
9. What do the more ill-bred students do in light of the headmaster's absence?
(a) Take the chance to pick on Qin Zhong, Bao-yu, Darling, and Precious.
(b) Take the chance to skip school.
(c) Take the chance to skip school and invite Qin Zhong, Bao-yu, Darling, and Precious.
(d) Cheat on their exams with Dai-yu.
10. Who is suffering from a mysterious sickness at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Qin Zhong.
11. What does the main story line follow?
(a) The growing up years of brothers Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin-Zhong.
(b) The growing up years of friends Bao-yu, Precious, and Jokey Jin.
(c) The growing up years of sisters Qan-yen, Qin-shi, and Dai-yu.
(d) The growing up years of cousins Bao-yu, Dai-yu, and Bao-chai.
12. Who does Jia Rui nearly sleep with accidentally?
(b) Jia Rong.
13. What does Grannie finally admit to Zhou under pressure?
(a) That she is ill.
(b) That they have no food or money at home.
(c) That she is looking for Bao-yu.
(d) That she is looking for a servant.
14. Who is Qin Zhong?
(a) Qin-shi's half-brother.
(b) Dai-yu's half brother.
(c) Qin-shi's brother.
(d) Bao-chai's brother.
15. What is the name of the goddess in the opening chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bao-yu make a scene upon returning home from his visit with Bao-chai?
2. What does the family take notice in terms of Dai-yu's situation?
3. Although the songs tell the story of his family's life, Bao-yu is bored and does not understand what?
4. Who has a brief discussion with Lady Wang about Bao-yu's odd behavior?
5. Who refuses to attend the birthday party?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)