|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who settles the boy in Qin Shi's room?
(b) Qin Shi.
2. What do Duke of Ning-guo and Duke of Ring-guo believe will happen if Bao-yu engages in sexual pleasure?
(a) He will fail in his studies.
(b) He will become a better student.
(c) He will not be able to have children.
(d) He will have no chance with Dai-yu.
3. What does the monk promise to do to the stone?
(a) Inscribe it.
(b) Carve it.
(c) Find it a home.
(d) Take it home.
4. What does Leng Zi-xing explain in regards to turning out sons?
(a) They will soon be turning over their estate to the youngest male heir.
(b) They are very successful in turning out strong and capable sons.
(c) That they struggle in bearing good male heirs.
(d) They are looking for a man to replace their sons.
5. Grannie Liu visits the Rong Mansion under the cover of seeing Mrs. Zhou, an old friend, but what is she really looking for?
(a) A hand out.
(b) Bao-yu's stone.
(c) The Jia family will.
(d) A runaway servant.
6. What do Qin Zhong and Darling do while the headmaster is out?
(a) Pick on Dai-yu.
(b) Run away.
(c) Skip school for three days.
(d) Arrange to secretly go outside to talk.
7. What was the subject of dispute Yu-cun was set to rule over?
(a) A slave girl.
(b) A monk breaking celibacy.
(c) A robbery.
(d) A police killing.
8. What is Grandmother Jia and family invited to?
(a) A flower viewing party.
(b) A wedding banquet.
(c) A tea ceremony party.
(d) A star-gazing party.
9. What do Bao-yu and Xi-feng hear as they leave the Ning Mansion?
(a) A baby crying.
(b) A drunken servant cursing the Jia family.
(c) A drunken servant cursing the Ning family.
(d) A maid cursing Xi-feng.
10. What actual name does Bao-yu cry out in his sleep?
11. From what country is the family this story is about?
12. What is Dai-yu most concerned about on the first day of school?
(a) How she will be able to study and also work at the estate.
(b) If she will fit in.
(c) If Bao-yu's father will also become angry with her one day.
(d) Whether or not Bao-yu will bid farewell to Bao-chai also.
13. They reach the Ford of Error where Bao-yu finds himself being pulled into _____.
(b) A cave of jewels.
(c) The ford.
(d) Dai-yu's room.
14. Before Bao-yu leaves for school, his father berates him for _____.
(a) Forgetting his books.
(b) Leaving late.
(c) His lack of study skills.
(d) His desire to skip the first day.
15. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
(a) A dog.
(b) A man.
(c) A woman.
(d) A boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reveals sexual feelings for Xi-feng to her around the time of the birthday party?
2. Where is the party Grandmother Jia and the family held?
3. What does Xi-feng make Jia Rui believe about herself?
4. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 7?
5. What do Bao-chai and Zhou Rai's wife talk about at the start of Chapter 7?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)