|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Grandmother Jia and family invited to?
(a) A star-gazing party.
(b) A tea ceremony party.
(c) A wedding banquet.
(d) A flower viewing party.
2. What does Xi-feng do when Bao-yu questions a servant at the Ning Mansion?
(a) She calls a maid to distract from the situation.
(b) She confronts the servant herself.
(c) She angrily hushes him.
(d) She quietly tells him not to worry about it.
3. What do Qin Zhong and Darling do while the headmaster is out?
(a) Skip school for three days.
(b) Run away.
(c) Pick on Dai-yu.
(d) Arrange to secretly go outside to talk.
4. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
(a) A man.
(b) A dog.
(c) A boat.
(d) A woman.
5. What do the more ill-bred students do in light of the headmaster's absence?
(a) Take the chance to pick on Qin Zhong, Bao-yu, Darling, and Precious.
(b) Take the chance to skip school.
(c) Cheat on their exams with Dai-yu.
(d) Take the chance to skip school and invite Qin Zhong, Bao-yu, Darling, and Precious.
6. How does the stone feel after being left by the goddess?
(a) Rejected and useless.
(b) Free and happy.
(c) Small yet strong.
(d) Scared and confused.
7. What happens to Jia Rui at the time of his first secret meeting?
(a) He meets his beloved.
(b) He has sex with a prostitute.
(c) He is left sitting in the cold all night.
(d) He gets drunk.
8. What do Bao-chai and Zhou Rai's wife talk about at the start of Chapter 7?
(a) The simple prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
(b) Their problems with their children.
(c) Zhou Rai's wife's problems with her husband.
(d) The difficult prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
9. How does Jia Rui eventually die?
(a) He is stabbed by Xi-feng in a dream and never wakes up.
(b) He looks into the wrong side of the Taoist's mirror.
(c) He falls out of a second floor window.
(d) He suffers heart failure.
10. What does the Taoist in the first chapter change his name to?
(a) Brother Amor.
(b) Brother in Light.
(c) Writer of Love.
(d) Warrior of the Sun.
11. What is the alleged, but inaccurate, reason given for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) His inability to have Xi-feng.
(b) His lack of respect for his parents.
(c) His many liaisons with prostitutes.
(d) An ancient curse.
12. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
13. Bao-yu and Qin Zhong form a plan to encourage their families to send them to _____.
(a) A private school.
(b) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
(c) Each other's houses.
(d) The Imperial Palace.
14. Who do the Jia family throw a birthday party for?
(a) Jia Jing.
(c) Jia Qiang.
(d) Jia Rui.
15. Who does Jia Rui nearly sleep with accidentally?
(d) Jia Rong.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to cure Bao-yu of his lust of the mind, he is given a bride named _____.
2. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
3. Who are the first people who come across the stone after the goddess leaves it there?
4. What does the main story line follow?
5. These four friends including Darling and Precious often communicated with each other during studies in a way that they thought _____.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)