|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Xue give to Zhou Rai's wife?
(a) A box of real flowers.
(b) A box of artificial flowers.
(c) A box filled with money.
(d) A box of decorations for her house.
2. What does the family take notice in terms of Dai-yu's situation?
(a) She is a jovial child.
(b) She is an outspoken girl.
(c) She is very tall and elegant.
(d) She is in a weakened state.
3. Before Bao-yu leaves for school, his father berates him for _____.
(a) His lack of study skills.
(b) Leaving late.
(c) Forgetting his books.
(d) His desire to skip the first day.
4. Who interrupts Bao-yu's visit with Bao-chai in Chapter 8?
(b) Qin Zhong.
5. Why does Bao-yu make a scene upon returning home from his visit with Bao-chai?
(a) Because Nannie Li has been cursing him behind his back.
(b) Because he misses Bao-chai.
(c) Because nobody welcomes him home.
(d) Because Nannie Li drank something that was intended for him.
6. What does Leng Zi-xing explain in regards to turning out sons?
(a) That they struggle in bearing good male heirs.
(b) They will soon be turning over their estate to the youngest male heir.
(c) They are looking for a man to replace their sons.
(d) They are very successful in turning out strong and capable sons.
7. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
8. At the birthday party in Chapter 11, what does much of the conversation center on?
(a) Qin Zhong's good looks.
(b) Bao-yu's lack of study skills.
(c) Jia Jing's life in the monastery.
(d) Qin-shi's puzzling illness.
9. In order to cure Bao-yu of his lust of the mind, he is given a bride named _____.
10. Why is the headmaster going on leave?
(a) He is ill.
(b) To take vacation.
(c) To attend business.
(d) To meet the Jia family.
11. Who does Bao-yu cry out to in order to help him when he is dreaming?
12. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
(a) That Qin-shi is a reincarnated ancestor.
(b) That Qin-shi will soon fall in love.
(c) That Qin-shi is malingering and not actually sick.
(d) That Qin-shi will die from her illness.
13. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
(a) A man.
(b) A dog.
(c) A woman.
(d) A boat.
14. These four friends including Darling and Precious often communicated with each other during studies in a way that they thought _____.
(a) The others in the classroom were not aware.
(b) Could be understood by every other classmate.
(c) The teacher would not notice.
(d) Was acceptable to their other friends.
15. What does Bao-yu do when the answer from Dai-yu is "no"?
(a) He begins to cry quietly.
(b) He takes her immediately to the pond.
(c) He laughs loudly.
(d) He throws a fit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bao-yu's first question to Dai-yu?
2. What is Dai-yu most concerned about on the first day of school?
3. Which character from earlier in the book resurfaces working as a maid under the name Caltrop?
4. Who sends Yu-cun to the capitol with his daughter Dai-yu?
5. What is the goddess in the opening chapter in the middle of doing?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)