|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Bao-chai and Zhou Rai's wife talk about at the start of Chapter 7?
(a) Their problems with their children.
(b) The difficult prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
(c) The simple prescription a monk prescribed for Bao-chai's illness.
(d) Zhou Rai's wife's problems with her husband.
2. During what affair is Dai-yu seated at a place of honor?
(a) The wedding.
(c) The blessing of the hall.
(d) The liturgy.
3. Where does Bao-yu beg to go with Xi-feng in Chapter 7?
(a) To visit Bao-chai.
(b) The Imperial Palace.
(c) The Ning Mansion.
(d) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
4. What do Bao-yu and Qin Zhong quickly learn about each other?
(a) That they are both without a tutor.
(b) That they are both attracted to maids in their household.
(c) That they are both confused about their sexuality.
(d) That they are both rich.
5. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
(a) Lovely Mountain.
(b) Fortune Cliff.
(c) Valley of Misfortune.
(d) Greensickness Peak.
6. What does Yu-cun do to the usher as a result of feeling uncomfortable around him?
(a) Calls in a complaint to the police anonymously.
(b) Has the usher arrested.
(c) Kills the usher's father.
(d) Flees the city.
7. What is the goddess in the opening chapter in the middle of doing?
(a) Mending the sky.
(c) Reading a book.
(d) Choosing a husband.
8. What does the doctor believe about his patient's prognosis at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) If she lives past the spring equinox, she will have a full recovery.
(b) If she lives to see the solar eclipse, she will recover.
(c) She must wait for the lunar eclipse to see any improvement of symptoms.
(d) If she does not recover by the lunar eclipse time, she will die.
9. Who is brought to life by a magical fictional stone?
10. Who has a brief discussion with Lady Wang about Bao-yu's odd behavior?
(b) Wang Xi-feng.
11. Who warns Yu-cun not to arrest Xue?
(a) Feng Yuan.
(b) Lady Wang.
(c) A monk.
(d) The usher.
12. What item of Bao-yu's does Bao-chai want a closer look at when he visits her?
(a) His magical jade.
(b) His schoolbooks.
(c) His gold ring.
(d) His shirt.
13. Bao-yu and Qin Zhong form a plan to encourage their families to send them to _____.
(a) Each other's houses.
(b) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
(c) A private school.
(d) The Imperial Palace.
14. What does the family take notice in terms of Dai-yu's situation?
(a) She is very tall and elegant.
(b) She is a jovial child.
(c) She is in a weakened state.
(d) She is an outspoken girl.
15. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 8?
(a) Because Xi-feng scolds her.
(b) Because Bao-yu has chosen the same time to visit Bao-chai.
(c) Because Bao-yu gets drunk.
(d) Because she is brought the flowers last and forced to take leftovers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Xi-feng do when Bao-yu questions a servant at the Ning Mansion?
2. What do Bao-yu and Xi-feng hear as they leave the Ning Mansion?
3. Who makes a loud entrance at the Jia residence?
4. Who starts school at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)