|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Bao-yu leaves for school, his father berates him for _____.
(a) His desire to skip the first day.
(b) Forgetting his books.
(c) Leaving late.
(d) His lack of study skills.
2. Bao-yu and Qin Zhong form a plan to encourage their families to send them to _____.
(a) Each other's houses.
(b) A private school.
(c) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
(d) The Imperial Palace.
3. These four friends including Darling and Precious often communicated with each other during studies in a way that they thought _____.
(a) Was acceptable to their other friends.
(b) The teacher would not notice.
(c) Could be understood by every other classmate.
(d) The others in the classroom were not aware.
4. At the birthday party in Chapter 11, what does much of the conversation center on?
(a) Jia Jing's life in the monastery.
(b) Bao-yu's lack of study skills.
(c) Qin Zhong's good looks.
(d) Qin-shi's puzzling illness.
5. What does the main story line follow?
(a) The growing up years of cousins Bao-yu, Dai-yu, and Bao-chai.
(b) The growing up years of friends Bao-yu, Precious, and Jokey Jin.
(c) The growing up years of sisters Qan-yen, Qin-shi, and Dai-yu.
(d) The growing up years of brothers Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin-Zhong.
6. Who is brought to life by a magical fictional stone?
7. What is Grandmother Jia and family invited to?
(a) A wedding banquet.
(b) A flower viewing party.
(c) A tea ceremony party.
(d) A star-gazing party.
8. What is the reason given against Yu-cun arresting Xue?
(a) Xue is from a rich family.
(b) Yu-cun does not understand the circumstances.
(c) Xue is cursed.
(d) Xue will put a curse on him.
9. How long did Feng Yuan wait to marry the girl in which he was interested?
(a) Three days.
(b) One year.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Ten years.
10. What does Xi-feng do when Bao-yu questions a servant at the Ning Mansion?
(a) She quietly tells him not to worry about it.
(b) She calls a maid to distract from the situation.
(c) She confronts the servant herself.
(d) She angrily hushes him.
11. Who is suffering from a mysterious sickness at the end of Chapter 10?
(b) Qin Zhong.
12. What does Aunt Xue give to Zhou Rai's wife?
(a) A box of artificial flowers.
(b) A box filled with money.
(c) A box of real flowers.
(d) A box of decorations for her house.
13. What is the name of the goddess in the opening chapter?
14. Who are Darling and Precious?
(a) The names of the principal's dogs.
(b) Two sisters living in the boarding school.
(c) Two friends of Dai-yu's.
(d) Two other boys who attend the clan school.
15. What is Bao-yu's first question to Dai-yu?
(a) If she has seen the stone in the pond.
(b) If she fancies him.
(c) Whether she has a green jade like him.
(d) If she is married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
2. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
3. What do Bao-yu and Xi-feng hear as they leave the Ning Mansion?
4. Why is the headmaster going on leave?
5. What do the more ill-bred students do in light of the headmaster's absence?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)