|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Bao-yu leaves for school, his father berates him for _____.
(a) Leaving late.
(b) His desire to skip the first day.
(c) Forgetting his books.
(d) His lack of study skills.
2. Of whom does Bao-yu dream?
(a) The fairy Disenchantment.
(d) Qin Shi.
3. How does the stone feel after being left by the goddess?
(a) Free and happy.
(b) Small yet strong.
(c) Rejected and useless.
(d) Scared and confused.
4. Where is Dai-yu to reside?
(a) At her mother's family's estate.
(b) The Jia family residence.
(c) At a convent.
(d) In boarding school.
5. What job does Yu-cun learn there is a possibility of getting back?
6. Who has a brief discussion with Lady Wang about Bao-yu's odd behavior?
(b) Wang Xi-feng.
7. What does Leng Zi-xing explain in regards to turning out sons?
(a) They will soon be turning over their estate to the youngest male heir.
(b) That they struggle in bearing good male heirs.
(c) They are very successful in turning out strong and capable sons.
(d) They are looking for a man to replace their sons.
8. Who are the first people who come across the stone after the goddess leaves it there?
(a) A warrior and monk.
(b) A Buddhist and monk.
(c) A monk and priest.
(d) A monk and Taoist.
9. Grannie Liu first sees Xi-feng who makes the suggestion that these relatives don't visit because they find the Jias _____.
(a) Too busy.
10. Who does Bao-yu cry out to in order to help him when he is dreaming?
11. They reach the Ford of Error where Bao-yu finds himself being pulled into _____.
(b) Dai-yu's room.
(c) A cave of jewels.
(d) The ford.
12. What develops between the three main characters of the book?
(a) A mysterious murder.
(b) A love triangle.
(c) Great hate.
(d) A long-term friendship.
13. What does Aroma realize about Bao-yu as she helps him redress after his nap?
(a) He has had a sexual dream.
(b) He is ice cold.
(c) He has had a night sweat.
(d) He is shaking.
14. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 7?
(a) Because she is brought the flowers last.
(b) Because Bao-yu taunts her.
(c) Because she feels she has been punished for no reason.
(d) Because Bao-yu has chosen the same time to visit Bao-chai.
15. What does Yu-cun let the family know about the murder case?
(a) That they are indicted until the case is closed.
(b) That they will need to come to court.
(c) That they will need to pay a large sum of money.
(d) That the matter of the murder has been cleared up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reveals sexual feelings for Xi-feng to her around the time of the birthday party?
2. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 8?
3. Who makes a loud entrance at the Jia residence?
4. During what affair is Dai-yu seated at a place of honor?
5. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)