|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What develops between the three main characters of the book?
(a) A love triangle.
(b) Great hate.
(c) A mysterious murder.
(d) A long-term friendship.
2. From what country is the family this story is about?
3. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
(a) Fortune Cliff.
(b) Greensickness Peak.
(c) Lovely Mountain.
(d) Valley of Misfortune.
4. Which character from earlier in the book resurfaces working as a maid under the name Caltrop?
(a) Ying Lian.
(b) Disenchantment, the fairy.
5. Who has a brief discussion with Lady Wang about Bao-yu's odd behavior?
(b) Wang Xi-feng.
6. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
(a) A dog.
(b) A woman.
(c) A man.
(d) A boat.
7. What does Leng Zi-xing explain in regards to turning out sons?
(a) They will soon be turning over their estate to the youngest male heir.
(b) That they struggle in bearing good male heirs.
(c) They are very successful in turning out strong and capable sons.
(d) They are looking for a man to replace their sons.
8. What does Bao-yu drink while visiting Bao-chai?
9. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
10. What does Bao-yu do when the answer from Dai-yu is "no"?
(a) He laughs loudly.
(b) He takes her immediately to the pond.
(c) He throws a fit.
(d) He begins to cry quietly.
11. What is the alleged, but inaccurate, reason given for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) His inability to have Xi-feng.
(b) His many liaisons with prostitutes.
(c) His lack of respect for his parents.
(d) An ancient curse.
12. Who makes a loud entrance at the Jia residence?
(a) Wang Xi-feng.
13. What do Qin Zhong and Darling do while the headmaster is out?
(a) Pick on Dai-yu.
(b) Skip school for three days.
(c) Run away.
(d) Arrange to secretly go outside to talk.
14. What is the name of the Chinese town the story line switches too after the Taoist changes his name?
15. What is the subject of the conversation Zhen Shi-yin overhears in his dream?
(a) A problem with his son's character.
(b) The future of the magical stone.
(c) The curse of the magical stone.
(d) The future of his daughter's life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Bao-yu and Qin Zhong quickly learn about each other?
2. Where is the party Grandmother Jia and the family held?
3. How long did Feng Yuan wait to marry the girl in which he was interested?
4. What does Xi-feng do when Bao-yu questions a servant at the Ning Mansion?
5. Who do the Jia family throw a birthday party for?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)