|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
(a) That Qin-shi is malingering and not actually sick.
(b) That Qin-shi will soon fall in love.
(c) That Qin-shi will die from her illness.
(d) That Qin-shi is a reincarnated ancestor.
2. During what affair is Dai-yu seated at a place of honor?
(a) The liturgy.
(b) The wedding.
(c) The blessing of the hall.
3. What is the goddess in the opening chapter in the middle of doing?
(b) Choosing a husband.
(c) Reading a book.
(d) Mending the sky.
4. What is the real reason for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) He is doused with contents of a slop pail.
(b) He falls into a stagnant pond.
(c) He is lovesick.
(d) He eats food that has gone bad.
5. What does the main story line follow?
(a) The growing up years of sisters Qan-yen, Qin-shi, and Dai-yu.
(b) The growing up years of friends Bao-yu, Precious, and Jokey Jin.
(c) The growing up years of cousins Bao-yu, Dai-yu, and Bao-chai.
(d) The growing up years of brothers Bao-yu, Xi-feng, and Qin-Zhong.
6. Who calms Bao-yu down when he makes a scene after his visit with Bao-chai?
(c) Nannie Li.
7. Who forms deeps friendship with Darling and Precious?
(a) Qin Zhong and Bao-yu.
(b) Dai-yu and Bao-yu.
(c) Bao-chai and Dai-yu.
(d) Dai-yu and Qin Zhong.
8. How does Jia Rui eventually die?
(a) He falls out of a second floor window.
(b) He suffers heart failure.
(c) He is stabbed by Xi-feng in a dream and never wakes up.
(d) He looks into the wrong side of the Taoist's mirror.
9. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
(a) Greensickness Peak.
(b) Lovely Mountain.
(c) Fortune Cliff.
(d) Valley of Misfortune.
10. How long did Feng Yuan wait to marry the girl in which he was interested?
(a) Ten years.
(b) One year.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Three days.
11. Which character from earlier in the book resurfaces working as a maid under the name Caltrop?
(b) Disenchantment, the fairy.
(c) Ying Lian.
12. Bao-yu and Qin Zhong form a plan to encourage their families to send them to _____.
(a) The Imperial Palace.
(b) A private school.
(c) Each other's houses.
(d) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
13. Where does Bao-yu beg to go with Xi-feng in Chapter 7?
(a) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
(b) The Imperial Palace.
(c) The Ning Mansion.
(d) To visit Bao-chai.
14. What does Bao-yu drink while visiting Bao-chai?
15. Who does Dai-yu learn she will be living with even though it is not customary for girls to live with boys?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is brought to life by a magical fictional stone?
2. Who settles the boy in Qin Shi's room?
3. What is Bao-yu's first question to Dai-yu?
4. How does the stone feel after being left by the goddess?
5. In order to cure Bao-yu of his lust of the mind, he is given a bride named _____.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)