|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Bao-yu beg to go with Xi-feng in Chapter 7?
(a) The Ning Mansion.
(b) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
(c) The Imperial Palace.
(d) To visit Bao-chai.
2. From what country is the family this story is about?
3. Who warns Yu-cun not to arrest Xue?
(a) The usher.
(b) A monk.
(c) Lady Wang.
(d) Feng Yuan.
4. What belief about Qin-shi does Xi-feng reveal to You-shi?
(a) That Qin-shi will soon fall in love.
(b) That Qin-shi will die from her illness.
(c) That Qin-shi is a reincarnated ancestor.
(d) That Qin-shi is malingering and not actually sick.
5. Who starts school at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Dai-yu and Bao-yu.
(b) Bao-chai and Bao-yu.
(c) Qin Zhong and Dai-yu.
(d) Bao-yu and Qin Zhong.
6. What job does Yu-cun learn there is a possibility of getting back?
7. What actual name does Bao-yu cry out in his sleep?
8. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 7?
(a) Because she is brought the flowers last.
(b) Because Bao-yu has chosen the same time to visit Bao-chai.
(c) Because Bao-yu taunts her.
(d) Because she feels she has been punished for no reason.
9. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
(a) A boat.
(b) A man.
(c) A dog.
(d) A woman.
10. What does Bao-yu do when the answer from Dai-yu is "no"?
(a) He throws a fit.
(b) He laughs loudly.
(c) He begins to cry quietly.
(d) He takes her immediately to the pond.
11. Who makes a loud entrance at the Jia residence?
(d) Wang Xi-feng.
12. What does the Taoist in the first chapter change his name to?
(a) Warrior of the Sun.
(b) Brother in Light.
(c) Writer of Love.
(d) Brother Amor.
13. What is the real reason for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) He is doused with contents of a slop pail.
(b) He is lovesick.
(c) He falls into a stagnant pond.
(d) He eats food that has gone bad.
14. What is the alleged, but inaccurate, reason given for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) His inability to have Xi-feng.
(b) His many liaisons with prostitutes.
(c) An ancient curse.
(d) His lack of respect for his parents.
15. What feeling is Bao-yu filled with in his dream?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who starts to make regular visits to Qin-shi after the birthday party?
2. What does Aunt Xue give to Zhou Rai's wife?
3. What happens to Jia Rui at the time of his first secret meeting?
4. Who does Zhen Shi-yin live with?
5. What do Duke of Ning-guo and Duke of Ring-guo believe will happen if Bao-yu engages in sexual pleasure?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)