|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yu-cun do to the usher as a result of feeling uncomfortable around him?
(a) Kills the usher's father.
(b) Calls in a complaint to the police anonymously.
(c) Flees the city.
(d) Has the usher arrested.
2. What is the name of the Chinese town the story line switches too after the Taoist changes his name?
3. Where does Bao-yu beg to go with Xi-feng in Chapter 7?
(a) To visit Bao-chai.
(b) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
(c) The Imperial Palace.
(d) The Ning Mansion.
4. Why does Yu-cun feel uncomfortable around the usher?
(a) Because the usher has killed his friend.
(b) Because he overheard the usher plotting against him.
(c) Because the usher is his uncle.
(d) Because he knew Yu-cun before he was high ranking.
5. What do Bao-yu and Qin Zhong quickly learn about each other?
(a) That they are both without a tutor.
(b) That they are both rich.
(c) That they are both confused about their sexuality.
(d) That they are both attracted to maids in their household.
6. Where is the party Grandmother Jia and the family held?
(a) At the Ning Mansion.
(b) At the Regal Theatre.
(c) At the Regal Greenhouse.
(d) At the Cherry Blossom Courtyard.
7. What is the real reason for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) He is doused with contents of a slop pail.
(b) He eats food that has gone bad.
(c) He is lovesick.
(d) He falls into a stagnant pond.
8. What item of Bao-yu's does Bao-chai want a closer look at when he visits her?
(a) His shirt.
(b) His gold ring.
(c) His magical jade.
(d) His schoolbooks.
9. Who does Bao-yu cry out to in order to help him when he is dreaming?
10. Who reveals sexual feelings for Xi-feng to her around the time of the birthday party?
(b) Qin Zhong.
(c) Jia Jing.
(d) Jia Rui.
11. What is Grandmother Jia and family invited to?
(a) A star-gazing party.
(b) A wedding banquet.
(c) A tea ceremony party.
(d) A flower viewing party.
12. In order to cure Bao-yu of his lust of the mind, he is given a bride named _____.
13. According to the inscription on the stone, what has the stone once been?
(a) A dog.
(b) A boat.
(c) A man.
(d) A woman.
14. According to Jia Yu-cun and Leng Zi-xing, what makes a person fundamentally good or bad?
(b) The amount of money they have.
(c) Family and friends.
15. What develops between the three main characters of the book?
(a) A love triangle.
(b) A mysterious murder.
(c) A long-term friendship.
(d) Great hate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
2. What do the more ill-bred students do in light of the headmaster's absence?
3. At the birthday party in Chapter 11, what does much of the conversation center on?
4. What is Bao-yu's first question to Dai-yu?
5. What feeling is Bao-yu filled with in his dream?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)