|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who settles the boy in Qin Shi's room?
(b) Qin Shi.
2. At the birthday party in Chapter 11, what does much of the conversation center on?
(a) Qin-shi's puzzling illness.
(b) Qin Zhong's good looks.
(c) Jia Jing's life in the monastery.
(d) Bao-yu's lack of study skills.
3. Where is the party Grandmother Jia and the family held?
(a) At the Cherry Blossom Courtyard.
(b) At the Regal Greenhouse.
(c) At the Regal Theatre.
(d) At the Ning Mansion.
4. Bao-yu and Qin Zhong form a plan to encourage their families to send them to _____.
(a) A private school.
(b) The Imperial Palace.
(c) The Temple of the Iron Threshold.
(d) Each other's houses.
5. What is the real reason for Jia Rui becoming ill?
(a) He is doused with contents of a slop pail.
(b) He falls into a stagnant pond.
(c) He eats food that has gone bad.
(d) He is lovesick.
6. Before Bao-yu leaves for school, his father berates him for _____.
(a) Leaving late.
(b) His desire to skip the first day.
(c) Forgetting his books.
(d) His lack of study skills.
7. What do Duke of Ning-guo and Duke of Ring-guo believe will happen if Bao-yu engages in sexual pleasure?
(a) He will fail in his studies.
(b) He will have no chance with Dai-yu.
(c) He will not be able to have children.
(d) He will become a better student.
8. What is the name of the summit at which the goddess leaves the extra stone?
(a) Greensickness Peak.
(b) Fortune Cliff.
(c) Lovely Mountain.
(d) Valley of Misfortune.
9. Why does Dai-yu get upset in Chapter 8?
(a) Because Xi-feng scolds her.
(b) Because Bao-yu gets drunk.
(c) Because Bao-yu has chosen the same time to visit Bao-chai.
(d) Because she is brought the flowers last and forced to take leftovers.
10. What feeling is Bao-yu filled with in his dream?
11. What is the name of the prestigious family about which the story is told?
12. What was the subject of dispute Yu-cun was set to rule over?
(a) A monk breaking celibacy.
(b) A police killing.
(c) A slave girl.
(d) A robbery.
13. What is the goddess in the opening chapter in the middle of doing?
(a) Mending the sky.
(b) Reading a book.
(c) Choosing a husband.
14. Who refuses to attend the birthday party?
(a) Jia Rui.
(d) Jia Jing.
15. What does Leng Zi-xing explain in regards to turning out sons?
(a) They will soon be turning over their estate to the youngest male heir.
(b) They are very successful in turning out strong and capable sons.
(c) They are looking for a man to replace their sons.
(d) That they struggle in bearing good male heirs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character from earlier in the book resurfaces working as a maid under the name Caltrop?
2. What does the family take notice in terms of Dai-yu's situation?
3. Who suggests a complex plan of action to bring a satisfactory end to the whole affair over which Yu-cun is presiding?
4. Who warns Yu-cun not to arrest Xue?
5. When Bao-yu visits the Department of the Ill-Fated Fair, what is he allowed to look at?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)