|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Zarine Bashere?
2. Who is leading the group of Aiel women that Nynaeve and her group encounter?
3. What do the Aiel call darkfriends?
4. Who does Nynaeve impress with her medical knowledge?
5. What does Comar tell Mat before Comar dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Perrin come by a large hammer when he arrives in Tear?
2. Who does Mat find when he hits the taverns to earn money and what does the man tell Mat as to why he is in Tar Valon?
3. Who helps Mat deliver Elayne's letter to Queen Morgase?
4. How do Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne escape the Myrddraal?
5. Who is Comer and what happens when Mat encounters the man?
6. Why does Lan go after Moiraine even though she told him to set out for Tar Valon?
7. What does Juilian learn about Liandrin and the other black ajah Aes Sedai?
8. What agreement do Faile and Moiraine reach?
9. What is Perrin able to smell and how does that help them in an inn in Illian?
10. Who is in a cage in Remem, and why is he there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation that Egwene uses the Dream World to disable Amico in the real world in order for her, Elayne and Nynaeve to escape. What other irony can you find in The Dragon Reborn? Do you think irony enhances the book? Why or why not.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from The Dragon Reborn. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in The Dragon Reborn and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible devices: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not a part of The Dragon Reborn, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
1. How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in The Dragon Reborn?
2. Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
3. How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
4. How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 3
Several of the Forsaken appear in The Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Forsaken and what is their role in the Wheel of Time series (You should be able to figure this out through what is said in The Dragon Reborn.
2. Compare/contrast the Forsaken with those in power that are supposedly on the "good" side--such as the Aes Sedai, the Whitecloaks and some Aiel.
3. Is it realistic to think that any human is totally evil as it seems the Forsaken are?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)