|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis say it is hard for some people to grasp about medieval beliefs?
2. What kind of writing did medieval writers enjoy that modern writers do not?
3. What led to the belief of unicorns?
4. What was the third species thought to have similar with men?
5. What does Lewis say can help people better understand the renaissance style of writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis say was the most important thing to remember about medieval belief in mythological creatures?
2. How did medieval scholars say the different kinds of souls said to be created?
3. What did Lewis say medieval man was enamored with, and how did this change their literature?
4. How was common sense defined in medieval times?
5. What are some of the things that planets caused men to do according to astrology?
6. What does Lewis say the modern reader can do to better understand the medieval style of literature?
7. How did medieval theologians view the Fall?
8. How did the lower spheres move according to medieval scholars, and why?
9. What is the first thought some writers had about the nature of Longaevi?
10. What led to Longaevi not being widely spoken about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the sensitive spirit, and how is it divided? How did this idea affect the actions of medieval men?
Essay Topic 2
Education and the importance of training is a constant theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and which parts of the medieval culture are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Books held a very high priority in medieval culture. How did this love for books come about, and what are some of the affects of this on the medieval culture?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)