|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "longaevi" mean?
2. What led to the belief of unicorns?
3. What was most important to Dickens in his writing?
4. Which kind of soul gave the power to see and move?
5. What did renaissance writers sometimes make great stretches to include in their work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the fifth element, and where did it exist?
2. How did the church feel about astrology?
3. Which did the medieval scholars decide were created first, the soul or the body?
4. What does Lewis say it is hard to determine about the belief in mythological creatures?
5. What does Lewis say the modern reader can do to better understand the medieval style of literature?
6. How did medieval people think fallen angels formed?
7. What is obvious about the medieval belief in mythological creatures?
8. What does Lewis say was the most important thing to remember about medieval belief in mythological creatures?
9. How did medieval man explain insanity?
10. How did medieval literature say the sensitive soul divided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the sensitive spirit, and how is it divided? How did this idea affect the actions of medieval men?
Essay Topic 2
How did Lewis stay balanced in his informational book about medieval literature, and how did this change the tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What is the doctrine of the triad, and what are some of the places this doctrine fit in to medieval society and history?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)