|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many kinds of souls did medieval man think there were?
2. Where would one find the fifth element?
(a) Outside the orbit of the moon.
(b) At the equator.
(c) Beyond the sky.
(d) Underneath the earth.
3. What shape did medieval man believe the earth was?
(a) A rhombus.
(b) A flat disc.
(c) A sphere.
(d) A hemisphere.
4. What doctrine helped some men understand the longaevi?
(a) The doctrine of the triad.
(b) The doctrine of plentitude.
(c) The doctrine of astrology.
(d) The doctrine of longevity.
5. Which of these was NOT one of the kinds of souls believed in by medieval man?
6. Why did some longaevi not want to be seen by people?
(a) They were prejudiced.
(b) They were evil.
(c) They were shy.
(d) They were weak.
7. What led to the belief of unicorns?
(a) False tales.
(b) Fairy tales.
(c) Strange images.
(d) Imitated pictures.
8. Where did medieval man think God dwelled?
(a) The moon.
(b) The sky.
(c) The equator.
9. What did medieval man say were neither good nor bad?
10. What did medieval man think the universe was a series of?
(c) Concentric spheres.
(d) Patterns and ideas.
11. Why are some modern readers puzzled by the renaissance style of writing?
(a) They do not stay on topic.
(b) Their plots are not always completed.
(c) They talk about mythical things.
(d) All of these.
12. How did Chaucer like to find his writing material?
(a) By imagining new people and places.
(b) By creating a poetic image.
(c) By writing about real people.
(d) By adapting and adding on to former works.
13. What did medieval men think only a wise man could do?
(a) Ignore astrology.
(b) See into the future.
(c) Resist the influence of the planets.
(d) Divine the future by studying the past.
14. What was said to govern the chance events that happened on earth?
(a) All of these.
15. How is modern writing different from medieval writing?
(a) We want more description.
(b) We are more involved in the plot.
(c) We don't like fantasy as much.
(d) We read about real people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did medieval man think guided the celestial spheres?
2. What did medieval men use to predict things?
3. What does Lewis say the medieval world imposed on objects?
4. What does "longaevi" mean?
5. Which of the following was NOT something worshiped in medieval times?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)