|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which philosopher believed souls to be eternal?
2. What attribute does Lewis say medieval writers had that modern ones do not?
3. What does Lewis say the modern world imposes on objects?
4. What did medieval men think only a wise man could do?
(a) Resist the influence of the planets.
(b) See into the future.
(c) Divine the future by studying the past.
(d) Ignore astrology.
5. What did medieval men use to predict things?
(a) Weather patterns.
(d) Past events.
6. What did medieval man say were neither good nor bad?
7. Where would one find the fifth element?
(a) Beyond the sky.
(b) Outside the orbit of the moon.
(c) At the equator.
(d) Underneath the earth.
8. What did some great medieval writers sometimes make lists of in the middle of their books?
9. Who did those who called the longaevi a fallen class think they were?
(a) Fallen angels.
(b) All of these.
(c) Servants of the devil.
(d) Rebellious dead.
10. What did Mars cause men to do?
(a) Overcome illness.
(b) Speak with boldness.
(c) Go to war.
(d) Fall in love.
11. What was a flawed art in the Middle Ages?
12. What did Lewis say was most notable about renaissance literature?
(a) Their experience.
(b) Their theories.
(c) Their knowledge.
(d) Their confidence.
13. Why was zoology such a studied science?
(a) They were used to study medicine.
(b) Men depended on animals.
(c) They were connected to humans.
(d) Animals were worth a lot of money.
14. Why are some modern readers puzzled by the renaissance style of writing?
(a) They talk about mythical things.
(b) They do not stay on topic.
(c) All of these.
(d) Their plots are not always completed.
15. Where did medieval man think God dwelled?
(a) The equator.
(c) The sky.
(d) The moon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "longaevi" mean?
2. What did the medieval people call the fifth element?
3. Which of the following was NOT something worshiped in medieval times?
4. Which of the following was NOT commonly written about in renaissance literature?
5. What does Lewis say the medieval world imposed on objects?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)