|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Stalin's rival?
(a) Leon Trotsky.
(b) Fritz Platten.
(c) Vladimir Lenin.
(d) Karl Marx.
2. Where did the experimental nature of science come from?
(a) The Aztecs.
(d) Ancient Greece.
3. What fields did Maxwell make enormous contributions to?
(a) Astronomy and physics.
(b) Mechanical engineering.
(c) Biology and quantum physics.
(d) Chemistry and astrology.
4. What does Paul the Apostle counsel us to do?
(a) 'Prove all things.'
(b) 'Question not the word of God.'
(c) 'Be credulous unto miracles.'
(d) 'Have faith.'
5. What did George Awad create?
(a) A detailed model of the universe.
(b) A massive screen ten stories high that wraps around you.
(c) A gigantic representation of DNA.
(d) A charitable foundation to foster interest in science.
6. What is the term used for basketball players who are playing well?
(a) Ice cold.
(b) On fire.
(c) Hot hand.
(d) Burning up.
7. 'It is certainly true that all beliefs and myths are worthy of a ___________________.'
(a) Respectful hearing.
(b) Severe intellectual drubbing.
(d) Head shake.
8. In what city was the 1939 Wold Fair held?
(b) New York.
9. What is Carl Sagan's hometown?
(b) Jersey City.
(c) Las Vegas.
10. What nation exploded the first hydrogen bomb?
(a) Great Britain.
(c) The United States of America.
(d) The Soviet Union.
11. In 1993, how many of the people of China, as in America, knew the Earth went around the sun once a year?
(a) No more than half.
(b) No less than a third.
(c) Approximately two quarters.
(d) Nearly everyone.
12. What do we do when we discourage children from science?
(a) Disenfranchise them.
(b) Destroy them.
(c) Dishearten them.
(d) Disable them.
13. What nation is the best-entertained nation on Earth?
(a) The United States.
14. What is taboo in all societies?
(b) Eating pork.
(d) Abandoning the elderly.
15. Who do not know enough not to ask important questions?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the United States have in its early years?
2. Where did lacrosse originate from?
3. What do chimps insert reeds into in order to get protein?
4. What advantage does science have over history?
5. What did U.S. students average on a global algebra test?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)