|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1993, how many of the people of China, as in America, knew the Earth went around the sun once a year?
(a) Nearly everyone.
(b) Approximately two quarters.
(c) No less than a third.
(d) No more than half.
2. In a year, how many school days are there in Japan compared to the 180 of the United States?
3. What do kids have an irresistible urge to do?
4. What are Maxwell's calculations written in?
(a) Multivariable calculus.
(b) Vector calculus.
(d) Algebraic calculus.
5. What is the path to freedom?
6. What disease does quinine help relieve the symptoms of?
(d) Dengue fever.
7. What other use for nuclear weapons was suggested by Edward Teller?
(a) Home heating.
(d) Fireworks displays.
8. What causes magnetism?
(a) Maxwell's demon.
(c) Magentic fluid.
9. What phrase does Robert Anton Wilson use to describe skeptics?
(a) The 'New Inquisiton.'
(b) The 'Young and the Restless.'
(c) The 'Bold Aggressors.'
(d) The 'Unfaithful Few.'
10. What was Darwin just about to do when he set sail on the H.M.S. Beagle?
(a) Embark on a speaking tour against religion.
(b) Become a minister.
(c) Join the Socialist party in England.
(d) Become the president of an atheist organization.
11. What nicknames did Rep. J. Parnell Thomas give to Dr. Edward U. Condon?
(a) The missing link.
(b) Dr. Condom.
(c) The weakest link.
(d) All of the below.
12. According to Alan Cromer, why is science difficult?
(a) It's new.
(b) It's too broad.
(c) It's elitist.
(d) It's incomprehensible.
13. Who is Shirley MacLaine?
(a) A skeptic and actress.
(b) A film producer and actress.
(c) A New Age guru and actress.
(d) A scientist and actress.
14. How are scientists generally portrayed on television?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Morally crippled.
(c) Mad scientists.
(d) Insensitive to the feelings of others.
15. When was Miles Phillips brought before the Spanish Inquisition?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the name 'Spee' pronounced?
2. Who was the scientific director of the Manhattan project?
3. Why is it interesting to write for Parade magazine?
4. What are the chances of being cured at Lourdes?
5. What is CSICOP?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)