|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many games does it take before Luzhin's opponent begins having difficulty beating him?
2. What happens when Luzhin goes to visit his father's grave after his death?
3. How does Luzhin's future wife perceive him when she first meets him?
4. What fundamental drive does Luzhin's future wife have?
5. Who does Luzhin's future wife make him think of, when he first meets him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Luzhin affected by spectators at his chess games?
2. How does Luzhin respond to his fiancee's parents' home?
3. What happens when Luzhin is found hiding in his family's house at the end of Chapter 1?
4. What does Luzhin resent while he is working on a puzzle?
5. How does Luzhin feel about playing chess blind?
6. What problem does Luzhin have getting to his game with his final rival?
7. What does Luzhin ask his fiancee to do, on the second day she comes to his Berlin chess tournament?
8. How does Luzhin senior's wife react when he has to go to town for the day?
9. How does Luzhin's father feel when he finally hears that his son is a prodigy?
10. The morning after the party, what are relations like between Luzhin's father, his aunt, and his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel.
1) What divides the novel into sections or parts? What roles do these parts play over the course of the novel?
2) How does Luzhin develop over the course of the novel? How does he change?
3) Why does the novel begin in Luzhin's boyhood?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Luzhin's character.
1) How is Luzhin different from other people? What are the consequences to him in his life?
2) Why is Luzhin obsessed with chess? What does Luzhin see and enjoy that most people don't?
3) What kind of world would Luzhin be happy in? In what ways is Luzhin mismatched to society, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the intellectual versus the social in the novel.
1) How does Luzhin fit into the intellectual world? How does he fit into the social world? How do these two worlds conflict?
2) How does Luzhin's wife fit into the intellectual and social worlds in the novel? How does this affect their relationship?
3) How does Luzhin's father fit into the intellectual an social worlds in the novel? How does this affect their relationship?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)