|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Luzhin's father send Luzhin, after the chess lesson is interrupted?
(b) Luzhin's room.
(c) The attic.
(d) The park.
2. Where does Luzhin hide during the party?
(a) A closet.
(b) The attic.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) His father's office.
3. Where does Luzhin find the magazines where he studies chess problems?
(a) His father's office.
(b) The library.
(c) His grandfather's former study.
(d) His teacher's desk.
4. How does Luzhin treat the guests at his birthday?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He is polite to them but secretly hates them.
(c) He is happy and talks to them constantly.
(d) He makes rude comments to them.
5. What important historical events does Luzhin's father feel inhibited by having to include in every novel?
(a) World War I and the Russian revolution.
(b) World War I and the Great Depression.
(c) World War I and the Armenian genocide.
(d) World War I and World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does Luzhin's mother incur, one July day?
2. How old is young Luzhin at the beginning of the novel?
3. What city does the family live in?
4. Where does Luzhin find himself, as he tries to walk toward where he wants to go?
5. What is Luzhin's response to his father, when his father comes to visit him at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Luzhin watches the chess game between his classmates, what move excites him?
2. Describe Luzhin's future wife when he meets her in Germany.
3. How does Luzhin's father compare his son to fictional characters?
4. What problem does Luzhin have getting to his game with his final rival?
5. How does Luzhin's father feel when he finally hears that his son is a prodigy?
6. How does Luzhin feel about playing chess blind?
7. What happens when Luzhin is found hiding in his family's house at the end of Chapter 1?
8. How does Valentinov view Luzhin?
9. Explain the nickname that the other boys give Luzhin at school.
10. What does Luzhin ask his fiancee to do, on the second day she comes to his Berlin chess tournament?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)