|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Luzhin find the magazines where he studies chess problems?
(a) His father's office.
(b) His grandfather's former study.
(c) His teacher's desk.
(d) The library.
2. How does the woman Luzhin meets in Germany (his future wife) think of his father?
(a) She thinks he must have been selfish, ignorant, and jealous of Luzhin.
(b) She thinks he must have been naive, slow, and uncomprehending toward Luzhin.
(c) She thinks he must have been kind, earnest, and fond of Luzhin.
(d) She thinks he must have been sad, angry, and bitter toward Luzhin.
3. How does Luzhin treat the guests at his birthday?
(a) He is polite to them but secretly hates them.
(b) He ignores them.
(c) He is happy and talks to them constantly.
(d) He makes rude comments to them.
4. Who interrupts Luzhin's first chess lesson?
(a) His father.
(b) His tutor.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His mother.
5. Where does Luzhin find himself, as he tries to walk toward where he wants to go?
(a) In a wooded park.
(b) In an empty marketplace.
(c) In a train station.
(d) In a dark alley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luzhin do when he goes up to his room after he's met his future wife's mother?
2. What question does Luzhin's fiancee's father ask Luzhin?
3. When does Luzhin's father return after going into town during the summer?
4. What does Luzhin do immediately after proposing to his future wife?
5. During their walk the morning after the party, what does Luzhin's father suggest he take up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is on Luzhin's father's mind during his first chess games with his son?
2. How does Luzhin's father feel when he finally hears that his son is a prodigy?
3. How is Luzhin affected by spectators at his chess games?
4. How does Luzhin feel about playing chess blind?
5. What happens when Luzhin is found hiding in his family's house at the end of Chapter 1?
6. Describe Luzhin's future wife when he meets her in Germany.
7. Explain the nickname that the other boys give Luzhin at school.
8. How does Luzhin feel about his aunt?
9. When Luzhin watches the chess game between his classmates, what move excites him?
10. Why does Luzhin's father decide that the boy he wants to write about, based on his son, will die young?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)