|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their walk the morning after the party, what does Luzhin's father suggest he take up?
2. What happens when Luzhin goes to visit his father's grave after his death?
(a) Luzhin can't garner emotion for his father's death, but lays flowers on the gravestone.
(b) Luzhin places flowers on the gravestone and feels bitter anger.
(c) Luzhin can't find the gravestone.
(d) Luzhin cries over his father's gravestone.
3. What did Luzhin do the previous Christmas with the chocolates meant for his aunt?
(a) He carefully wrapped each chocolate and arranged them in the box for her.
(b) He put the chocolates in a new box to give to her.
(c) He kept the chocolates and gave her a different preset.
(d) He ate half and rearranged the rest to hide the missing ones.
4. At Luzhin's school, what teacher is out with a cold?
(a) The math teacher.
(b) The geography teacher.
(c) The science teacher.
(d) The English teacher.
5. At the beginning of the novel, what does the main character associate the name "Luzhin" with?
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of party does Luzhin's father give in honor of Luzhin's grandfather?
2. How does the woman Luzhin meets in Germany (his future wife) think of his father?
3. Three days before Luzhin's departure, when he is walking with his future wife and her mother, what does the mother ask her daughter to run back and get for her?
4. What is Luzhin doing when he notices two other students taking out a chess set?
5. Who does Luzhin's father invite to Luzhin's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luzhin behave on walks with his future wife and her mother?
2. How does Luzhin's father die?
3. How does Valentinov view Luzhin?
4. How does Luzhin's father compare his son to fictional characters?
5. How is Luzhin affected by spectators at his chess games?
6. How does Luzhin feel about his aunt?
7. How does Luzhin senior's wife react when he has to go to town for the day?
8. How does Luzhin feel about playing chess blind?
9. What does Luzhin ask his fiancee to do, on the second day she comes to his Berlin chess tournament?
10. How does Luzhin react to being caught cutting school?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)