|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Luzhin find himself, as he tries to walk toward where he wants to go?
(a) In a dark alley.
(b) In a wooded park.
(c) In a train station.
(d) In an empty marketplace.
2. When Luzhin comes back to his family's house, where in the house does he hide?
(a) The carriage house.
(b) The attic.
(c) The sewing room.
(d) The cellar.
3. What does Luzhin drop that his future wife picks up and returns to him?
(a) A handkerchief.
(b) A ring.
(c) A pocket watch.
(d) A wallet.
4. Whose chess set does Luzhin get interested in?
(a) His teacher's.
(b) A party guest's.
(c) His father's.
(d) His mother's.
5. Whose telephone call does Luzhin eavesdrop on during the party?
(a) An architect.
(b) An actor.
(c) A violinist.
(d) A waiter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Luzhin's father send Luzhin, after the chess lesson is interrupted?
2. Where does Luzhin find the magazines where he studies chess problems?
3. What year does Luzhin's father begin to write a novel whose main character is a chess-playing boy like his son?
4. When Luzhin suggests teaching his son chess, where in the country house do they find a chess set?
5. How are Luzhin's grades at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before playing with his son, how does Luzhin's father consider his own chess abilities?
2. Why does Luzhin hide during his father's party?
3. Why does Luzhin's mother leave her husband and son to return to Russia, and how does Luzhin's father react?
4. What does Luzhin resent while he is working on a puzzle?
5. How is Luzhin affected by spectators at his chess games?
6. What problem does Luzhin have getting to his game with his final rival?
7. What is on Luzhin's father's mind during his first chess games with his son?
8. Describe Luzhin's future wife when he meets her in Germany.
9. How does Luzhin behave on walks with his future wife and her mother?
10. What happens when Luzhin is found hiding in his family's house at the end of Chapter 1?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)