|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Mrs. Luzhin to be away from her husband a good deal?
(a) She is helping a friend shop.
(b) She is planning their proposed trip.
(c) She is helping her sick mother.
(d) She is volunteering at her church.
2. Who is more drunk, Kurt or Gunther?
(b) Neither is drunk.
(c) Both are equally drunk.
3. Why doesn't Luzhin hide his chess set?
(a) He decides it's best to keep it in the open.
(b) He gets distracted by his drawing and forgets about it.
(c) He can't find a place for it.
(d) He loses it before he can hide it.
4. What does Valentinov tell Mrs. Luzhin to whisper in her husband's ear?
(a) Valentinov's come for you again.
(b) It's not too late.
(c) Valentinov's expecting you.
(d) Remember our little game?
5. What does Luzhin's fiancee threaten that she will do, if he starts thinking about chess?
(a) Beat him.
(b) Stop loving him.
(c) Kill herself.
(d) Not marry him.
6. What does Mrs. Luzhin criticize about her body, as she examines herself in the mirror on her wedding night?
(a) Her hips.
(b) Her legs.
(c) Her belly.
(d) Her neck.
7. What artistic medium does Luzhin prefer?
(a) Acrylic painting.
(b) Watercolor painting.
(c) Oil painting.
8. What is Luzhin's fiancee eating when her parents tackle her about giving up Luzhin at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(c) Steak and gravy.
(d) Hot cereal.
9. After failing to hide the chess set, what does Luzhin decide to do with it?
(a) Put it in the kitchen cupboard.
(b) Keep it on the bedroom floor.
(c) Get rid of it.
(d) Display it in the study.
10. How do Luzhin and his wife enter the ball?
(a) One following the other.
(b) Arm in arm.
(c) From separate doors.
(d) Back to back.
11. What color does Luzhin choose for his suit?
(b) Dark blue.
(c) Dark Brown.
(d) Dark gray.
12. What subject does Luzhin prefer for his artistic efforts?
(b) Geometric shapes.
13. What is the Luzhins' maid particularly bat at?
(a) Baking bread.
(b) Making the beds.
(d) Taking phone calls.
14. When Luzhin finally comes to his bedroom on his wedding night, where does his wife go?
(a) To the kitchen.
(b) To the bed.
(c) To take a bath.
(d) To the closet.
15. What does Luzhin teach himself, after visiting his father-in-law's office?
(a) How to manage accounting books.
(b) How to use a mimeograph machine.
(c) The German tax code.
(d) How to type.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is the desk calendar that Luzhin's fiancee finds in his room?
2. What excuse does Luzhin make for his sullenness and silence?
3. What two events become mixed up in Luzhin's perception?
4. Who is taken off in the taxi cab?
5. What does Valentinov do in the car, as he drives Luzhin to his club?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)