|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Luzhin feel when she reads to her husband?
2. How do Luzhin and his wife enter the ball?
(a) Arm in arm.
(b) From separate doors.
(c) Back to back.
(d) One following the other.
3. After his wife's old friend from Russia visits, how does Luzhin begin seeing his life?
(a) As a game of chess.
(b) As a machine made of cogs.
(c) As a book written by his father.
(d) As a battle.
4. What year is the desk calendar that Luzhin's fiancee finds in his room?
5. What does Luzhin's new landlady chide him for forgetting?
(a) He forgets to lock his room when he leaves.
(b) He forgets to turn out the light and close his door.
(c) He forgets to take in the newspaper and milk.
(d) He forgets to pay his rent.
6. What happened to the student that Mrs. Luzhkin's visitor used to be in love with?
(a) He was shot by communists.
(b) He was drowned in an accident.
(c) He was killed in World War I.
(d) He fled Russia for the Middle East.
7. Who is taken off in the taxi cab?
8. At the wedding reception, how much champagne does Luzhin drink?
(a) Six glasses.
(b) Two glasses.
(c) Four glasses.
9. When he wakes in the hospital, what does Luzhin ask a nurse?
(a) What day is it?
(b) What time is it?
(c) Where am I?
(d) Who are you?
10. What are townspeople doing in the area where there are tennis courts in the summer, at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Ice skating.
(b) Having a snowball fight.
(c) Playing hockey.
(d) Holding a concert.
11. What is the one thing Luzhin finds wrong with the old jacket he begs his wife to let him keep?
(a) A rip in the lapel.
(b) A missing button.
(c) A hole in the pocket.
(d) A mark on the collar.
12. What is the Luzhins' maid particularly bat at?
(a) Baking bread.
(b) Making the beds.
(c) Taking phone calls.
13. Where does Mrs. Luzhin want her husband to visit?
(a) His father's old office.
(b) A friend of his father's.
(c) His father's grave.
(d) His father's old house.
14. Who is Petrishchev, the man Luzhin winds up talking to at the ball?
(a) An Egyptian hotel clerk who has Luzhin's aunt's godchild.
(b) A Parisian banker who was Luzhin's former chess opponent.
(c) A Canadian store owner who knew Mrs. Luzhin as a girl.
(d) A Brazilian plantation worker who was Luzhin's former classmate.
15. What is Luzhin given by the coat room when he turns in his jacket at the ball?
(a) A paper ticket.
(b) A plastic card.
(c) A cloth marker.
(d) A metal number.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relative of Luzhin does Mrs. Luzhin's visitor know?
2. What does Mrs. Luzhin criticize about her body, as she examines herself in the mirror on her wedding night?
3. What excuse does Luzhin make for his sullenness and silence?
4. What item does Luzhin find in the lining of his pocket?
5. Who is depicted atop the bookcase in the new apartment?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)