|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Luzhin hide his chess set?
(a) He decides it's best to keep it in the open.
(b) He gets distracted by his drawing and forgets about it.
(c) He loses it before he can hide it.
(d) He can't find a place for it.
2. What flowers are depicted on Mrs. Luzhin's mother's shawl, which she wears in her cold apartment?
3. What room does Luzhin lock himself into?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) The study.
(c) The dining room.
(d) The bedroom.
4. What does Valentinov do in the car, as he drives Luzhin to his club?
(a) He tells Luzhin stories about the movie industry.
(b) He reads.
(c) He alternately laughs and coughs.
(d) He yells at another man.
5. Who is depicted atop the bookcase in the new apartment?
6. What is the house number of Luzhin's father's former house?
(a) Thirty-five A.
(b) Thirty-three C.
(c) Thirty-one D.
(d) Thirty-seven B.
7. What excuse does Luzhin give for slipping off on his own?
(a) Going back to the dentist.
(b) Returning someone's wallet.
(c) Returning a library book.
(d) An appointment with a business associate.
8. What item does Luzhin find in the lining of his pocket?
(a) A chess board.
(b) A ring.
(c) A wooden pawn.
(d) A notebook.
9. What relative of Luzhin does Mrs. Luzhin's visitor know?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His mother.
(c) His aunt.
(d) His father.
10. What does Luzhin's fiancee threaten that she will do, if he starts thinking about chess?
(a) Stop loving him.
(b) Beat him.
(c) Not marry him.
(d) Kill herself.
11. When does Luzhin feel a strange emptiness, as he prepares for his wedding?
(a) All the time.
(b) When he suddenly catches a glimpse of himself in the mirror.
(c) Whenever he is surrounded by people.
(d) When he is alone, in the early morning or late night.
12. What is Luzhin's future mother-in-law's prime objection to her daughter marrying Luzhin?
(a) She thinks Luzhin is uncouth.
(b) She thinks her daughter doesn't love him.
(c) She is afraid Luzhin is mentally unstable.
(d) She thinks Luzhin is from a bad family.
13. What is Luzhin given by the coat room when he turns in his jacket at the ball?
(a) A metal number.
(b) A cloth marker.
(c) A plastic card.
(d) A paper ticket.
14. How does Mrs. Luzhin feel when her visitor finally leaves Berlin?
15. After his wife's old friend from Russia visits, how does Luzhin begin seeing his life?
(a) As a game of chess.
(b) As a book written by his father.
(c) As a battle.
(d) As a machine made of cogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What difference does Mrs. Luzhin see between Germany and Russia?
2. What is Luzhin like when his fiancee sits with him at the sanatorium?
3. What does Mrs. Luzhin feel when she reads to her husband?
4. What causes Mrs. Luzhin to be away from her husband a good deal?
5. When was the last time Luzhin had been in church before his wedding?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)