|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kinds of articles does Mrs. Luzhin have her husband read to her?
(a) Scientific or mathematical articles.
(b) Humorous or heartfelt articles.
(c) Political analysis articles.
(d) Business or financial articles.
2. What difference does Mrs. Luzhin see between Germany and Russia?
(a) There is more need and want in Russia.
(b) There is more torture and desire to torture in Russia.
(c) There is more anger and sadness in Russia.
(d) There is more divisiveness and strife in Russia.
3. Where does Mrs. Luzhin take her husband that he's never been before?
(a) In an airplane.
(b) The movies.
(c) To a play.
(d) On a boat.
4. At the wedding reception, how much champagne does Luzhin drink?
(a) Two glasses.
(b) Six glasses.
(c) Four glasses.
5. Who is depicted atop the bookcase in the new apartment?
6. Where does Mrs. Luzhin want her husband to visit?
(a) His father's old office.
(b) His father's old house.
(c) A friend of his father's.
(d) His father's grave.
7. What possession of Luzhin's does his fiancee retrieve from the tournament hall?
(a) His cloak.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His cane.
(d) His hat.
8. How does Mrs. Luzhin feel when her visitor finally leaves Berlin?
9. What does Luzhin teach himself, after visiting his father-in-law's office?
(a) How to manage accounting books.
(b) How to use a mimeograph machine.
(c) How to type.
(d) The German tax code.
10. What does Valentinov tell Mrs. Luzhin to whisper in her husband's ear?
(a) It's not too late.
(b) Valentinov's come for you again.
(c) Valentinov's expecting you.
(d) Remember our little game?
11. What author does Luzhin's fiancee tell her mother that Luzhin has never read?
(a) George Eliot.
(d) Thomas Carlyle.
12. What causes Mrs. Luzhin to be away from her husband a good deal?
(a) She is planning their proposed trip.
(b) She is helping her sick mother.
(c) She is volunteering at her church.
(d) She is helping a friend shop.
13. What happened to the student that Mrs. Luzhkin's visitor used to be in love with?
(a) He fled Russia for the Middle East.
(b) He was killed in World War I.
(c) He was shot by communists.
(d) He was drowned in an accident.
14. Why do Luzhin's in-laws spend time visiting at the Luzhin's house?
(a) It has a working stove.
(b) It has running water.
(c) It has a new refrigerator.
(d) It has central heating.
15. When was the last time Luzhin had been in church before his wedding?
(a) At his sixteenth birthday.
(b) At his father's funeral.
(c) At his first communion.
(d) At his mother's funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is more drunk, Kurt or Gunther?
2. What does Mrs. Luzhin criticize about her body, as she examines herself in the mirror on her wedding night?
3. What excuse does Luzhin make for his sullenness and silence?
4. What two events become mixed up in Luzhin's perception?
5. What do the doctor and Luzhin's fiancee call his years of playing chess?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)