|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luzhin dream when he finally falls asleep?
(a) He dreams he's in the snow, digging up a chess set from frozen ground.
(b) He dreams he's a piece on a chess board.
(c) He dreams of being a boy playing chess with his father.
(d) He dreams he is the world champion chess master.
2. What does Luzhin listen to as he lies awake at night?
(a) The chimes of church bells outside.
(b) The creakig of the attic floor.
(c) The ticking of a clock.
(d) The sounds of dogs in the night.
3. Who is taken off in the taxi cab?
4. What is Luzhin given by the coat room when he turns in his jacket at the ball?
(a) A paper ticket.
(b) A metal number.
(c) A cloth marker.
(d) A plastic card.
5. What does Luzhin teach himself, after visiting his father-in-law's office?
(a) The German tax code.
(b) How to manage accounting books.
(c) How to use a mimeograph machine.
(d) How to type.
6. What does Luzhin remember about his French governess?
(a) He remembers her cracking him over the knuckles with a ruler.
(b) He remembers her sitting in the kitchen, laughing with the cook.
(c) He remembers her riding the elevator instead of taking the stairs.
(d) He remembers her stealing cloth from his mother's sewing room.
7. When Luzhin dreams about Turati before his wedding, what is Turati doing in the dream?
(a) Picking mushrooms.
(b) Playing chess.
(c) Eating soup.
(d) Playing the piano.
8. What happened to the student that Mrs. Luzhkin's visitor used to be in love with?
(a) He was drowned in an accident.
(b) He fled Russia for the Middle East.
(c) He was shot by communists.
(d) He was killed in World War I.
9. At the wedding reception, how much champagne does Luzhin drink?
(b) Six glasses.
(c) Two glasses.
(d) Four glasses.
10. What flowers are depicted on Mrs. Luzhin's mother's shawl, which she wears in her cold apartment?
11. Where does Luzhin disappear to at the ball?
(a) A private room upstairs.
(b) An armchair by the staircase.
(c) The coat room closet.
(d) A nook behind the decorated tree.
12. What does Luzhin feel like, when he moves into his new apartment after getting out of the hospital?
(a) Like he did whenever moving into a new hotel room.
(b) Like he did when moving from country to town as a child.
(c) Like he did whenever he started a new chess game.
(d) Like he did when he started school as a boy.
13. What book do Luzhin and his wife find in their new study?
(a) An atlas.
(b) A botanical guide.
(c) A medical reference.
(d) An encyclopedia.
14. What subject does Luzhin prefer for his artistic efforts?
(c) Geometric shapes.
15. Why do Luzhin's in-laws spend time visiting at the Luzhin's house?
(a) It has a working stove.
(b) It has running water.
(c) It has central heating.
(d) It has a new refrigerator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luzhin's fiancee threaten that she will do, if he starts thinking about chess?
2. Where does Luzhin's fiancee's father want her to go away to with her mother, to forget about Luzhin?
3. What is the house number of Luzhin's father's former house?
4. What room does Luzhin lock himself into?
5. What excuse does Luzhin make for his sullenness and silence?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)