|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Three days before Luzhin's departure, when he is walking with his future wife and her mother, what does the mother ask her daughter to run back and get for her?
(a) A shawl.
(b) A glass of water.
(c) A handkerchief.
(d) Something to read.
2. What habit of Luzhin's particularly annoys his future wife's mother?
(a) He looks at her shoes when he talks.
(b) He talks into his hat.
(c) He sits with his back to her.
(d) He talks about himself in the third person.
3. Who interrupts Luzhin's first chess lesson?
(a) His father.
(b) His tutor.
(c) His mother.
(d) His aunt.
4. What excuse does Luzhin give the first day he skips school?
(a) That his grandmother died.
(b) Family circumstances.
(c) That he was sick.
(d) That he twisted his ankle.
5. At the beginning of the novel, what does the main character associate the name "Luzhin" with?
(a) His mother.
(c) His father.
6. What does Luzhin do immediately after proposing to his future wife?
(a) He leaves the room, without waiting for a reply.
(b) He bursts into tears.
(c) He faints.
(d) He bursts into laughter.
7. During the beginning of the chess game with Turati, who seems to be winning?
(a) Both think the other is winning.
(b) Luzhin seems to be winning.
(c) No one seems to be winning.
(d) Turati seems to be winning.
8. Who begins to teach Luzhin chess?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His father.
(c) His tutor.
(d) His mother.
9. What question does Luzhin's fiancee's father ask Luzhin?
(a) Whether chess isn't a rather childish game.
(b) Whether there's a move in chess that always lets you win.
(c) Whether he can really make a living playing chess.
(d) Whether he plays other games besides chess.
10. What does Luzhin like most at his birthday party?
(a) The presents.
(b) The guests.
(c) The cake.
(d) The magician.
11. How old is Luzhin when he returns to the German resort where he went to with his father when recovering from his illness?
(a) In his fifties.
(b) In his thirties.
(c) In his forties.
(d) In his twenties.
12. Who sketches Luzhin and Turati at the chess tournament in Berlin?
(a) A newspaper sketch artist.
(b) A local portrait painter.
(c) Luzhin's fiancee.
(d) A famous sculpter.
13. When Luzhin suggests teaching his son chess, where in the country house do they find a chess set?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) Under the stairs.
(c) In the library.
(d) In the attic.
14. How is Luzhin greeted when he arrives at his aunt's house?
(a) His aunt is outside the house and greets him happily.
(b) His aunt slams the door in his face.
(c) Her maid tells him his aunt is still asleep and to wait.
(d) Her maid tells him his aunt is out and slams the door.
15. What is Luzhin's problem in school?
(b) Understanding lessons.
(c) Social interaction.
(d) Playing too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luzhin's mother always have beside her, after she injures herself?
2. What does the doctor give to Luzhin?
3. How does Luzhin feel the morning after his father's party?
4. When Luzhin comes back to his family's house, where in the house does he hide?
5. Where is Luzhin's father when the idea for a novel about a boy like his son hits him?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)