|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Luzhin's fiancee's father meets Luzhin, what does he offer the chess champion?
(a) A glass of water.
(b) A cigarette.
(c) A glass of wine.
(d) A snack.
2. What does the doctor give to Luzhin?
(a) A set of chess pieces.
(b) A chess board.
(c) A chess handbook.
(d) A chess timer.
3. What does Luzhin's future wife hear that he does in his room late at night?
(a) Create and write down chess puzzles.
(b) Play a famous chess game over and over with a chess set.
(c) Sit in front of an empty chess board.
(d) Write his memoirs.
4. What does Luzhin's father suspect his son of looking for in illustrated magazines?
(a) Naked women.
(b) Chess puzzles.
(c) Pictures of far-off lands.
(d) Articles about his father.
5. What important historical events does Luzhin's father feel inhibited by having to include in every novel?
(a) World War I and the Great Depression.
(b) World War I and the Russian revolution.
(c) World War I and World War II.
(d) World War I and the Armenian genocide.
6. When Luzhin comes back to his family's house, where in the house does he hide?
(a) The cellar.
(b) The sewing room.
(c) The attic.
(d) The carriage house.
7. When Luzhin suggests teaching his son chess, where in the country house do they find a chess set?
(a) Under the stairs.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the library.
(d) In the cellar.
8. What does Luzhin do when he goes up to his room after he's met his future wife's mother?
(a) He eats a meal.
(b) He takes a nap.
(c) He works on his chess game.
(d) He writes a letter to his future wife.
9. Where does Luzhin's father send Luzhin, after the chess lesson is interrupted?
(b) The park.
(c) The attic.
(d) Luzhin's room.
10. What is Luzhin's father's profession?
11. What excuse does Luzhin give the first day he skips school?
(a) That he was sick.
(b) That he twisted his ankle.
(c) Family circumstances.
(d) That his grandmother died.
12. Luzhin spectacularly wins a chess game in Berlin after sacrificing what three pieces in a row?
(a) A pawn, a bishop, and a queen.
(b) A rook, a bishop, and a knight.
(c) A queen, a rook, and a knight.
(d) A knight, a pawn, and a bishop.
13. Where does Luzhin tell his father he learned to play chess?
(a) In the park.
(b) From a friend's father.
(c) From his aunt.
(d) At school.
14. Why is Luzhin afraid of at school?
(a) That bullies will beat him up.
(b) That someone else will be better than him at chess.
(c) That he will not be able to pass his classes.
(d) That others will find out his chess ability and make fun of him.
15. What business does Valentinov go into after leaving Luzhin?
(a) The theater.
(b) The movie business.
(c) The music business.
(d) The art business.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Luzhin and his father when Archduke Ferdinand is killed, starting World War I?
2. At the end of Chapter 8, where is Luzhin trying to go?
3. What does Luzhin's mother always have beside her, after she injures herself?
4. What anniversary of Luzhin's grandfather's death is it at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What present does Luzhin's fiancee bring to him at his hotel room?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)