|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Three days before Luzhin's departure, when he is walking with his future wife and her mother, what does the mother ask her daughter to run back and get for her?
(a) A shawl.
(b) A glass of water.
(c) Something to read.
(d) A handkerchief.
2. Where are Luzhin and his father when Archduke Ferdinand is killed, starting World War I?
(a) In Germany.
(b) In Russia.
(c) In France.
(d) In Switzerland.
3. Whose telephone call does Luzhin eavesdrop on during the party?
(a) A waiter.
(b) A violinist.
(c) An actor.
(d) An architect.
4. Where does Luzhin's father send Luzhin, after the chess lesson is interrupted?
(b) The attic.
(c) The park.
(d) Luzhin's room.
5. During their walk the morning after the party, what does Luzhin's father suggest he take up?
6. How does Luzhin think fellow students feel about him?
(a) He thinks they're jealous of him.
(b) He thinks they admire him.
(c) He thinks they pity him.
(d) He thinks they hate him.
7. Who interrupts the chess game?
(a) The janitor.
(b) The substitute teacher.
(c) The class bully.
(d) A new student.
8. What does Luzhin's father suspect his son of looking for in illustrated magazines?
(a) Pictures of far-off lands.
(b) Chess puzzles.
(c) Naked women.
(d) Articles about his father.
9. What does Luzhin do immediately after proposing to his future wife?
(a) He bursts into tears.
(b) He bursts into laughter.
(c) He leaves the room, without waiting for a reply.
(d) He faints.
10. At the end of Chapter 8, where is Luzhin trying to go?
(a) To the manor house he remembers from his youth.
(b) To his hotel.
(c) To his fiancee's parents' house.
(d) To the place he stayed with his father in Germany as a boy.
11. How is Luzhin greeted when he arrives at his aunt's house?
(a) His aunt is outside the house and greets him happily.
(b) Her maid tells him his aunt is out and slams the door.
(c) Her maid tells him his aunt is still asleep and to wait.
(d) His aunt slams the door in his face.
12. What does the doctor give to Luzhin?
(a) A chess timer.
(b) A chess handbook.
(c) A set of chess pieces.
(d) A chess board.
13. How does Luzhin's future wife perceive him when she first meets him?
(a) As an uncouth, unworthy slob.
(b) As a sad, suffering romantic.
(c) As an eccentric artist.
(d) As a bitter, unkind old man.
14. What title does Luzhin's father give his imagined novella about a boy like his son?
(b) The Player.
(d) The Gambit.
15. Why have Luzhin's parents put off telling him that they've enrolled him in a school?
(a) They are worried the school will cancel at the last minute.
(b) They're afraid he'll run away.
(c) They're afraid he'll throw a tantrum.
(d) They don't think he'll understand the idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is young Luzhin at the beginning of the novel?
2. What excuse does Luzhin give the first day he skips school?
3. Who begins to teach Luzhin chess?
4. What present does Luzhin's fiancee bring to him at his hotel room?
5. When Luzhin suggests teaching his son chess, where in the country house do they find a chess set?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)