|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peronella explain the man who is in the barrel?
2. What is the occupation of the man Peronella marries?
3. After her son dies, what does Monna Giovanna decide to do?
4. When the weather does not change, what do Rabatta and Bondone decide to do?
5. Who discovers the two lovers the next morning in their compromising situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Caterina devise in order to be with Ricciardo?
2. What happens when the two men come to confess to Brother Onion what they had done.?
3. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
4. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
5. What is the reply that Bondone gives Rabatta after his insult?
6. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
7. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
8. What is the result of a man sneaking into an Abbess' cell after he has fallen in love with her?
9. Besides his homely countenance, describe what Messer Forese da Rabatta is noted for.
10. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)