|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the road, how do Rabatta and Bondone dress?
2. What is the occupation of the man Peronella marries?
3. What happens when the two friends tell Brother Onion what they had done?
4. When does Peronella's lover come to visit her?
5. What does Monna Giovanna discover after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Caterina devise in order to be with Ricciardo?
2. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
3. What does Gualtieri do to assure himself that his wife, Griselda, is a worthy woman?
4. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
5. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
6. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
7. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
8. What happens when the two men come to confess to Brother Onion what they had done.?
9. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
10. What is the result of a man sneaking into an Abbess' cell after he has fallen in love with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How People Change Over Time. Begin by summarizing the tale of Tedaldo who leaves Florence after a quarrel with his mistress and later returns as a pilgrim and is not recognized by anyone who once knew him. Go to a discussion of how people not seen for a long time change physically, mentally, and emotionally. If possible use an example from your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)