|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the avocation of Gualtieri, the son of a wealthy marquis in Saluzzo?
2. How does the wayward nun respond to the abbess' reprimand?
3. What is the name of the Brother from the monastery of St. Anthony that is the same as the name of a vegetable?
4. What do Messer Forese da Rabatta and Giotto di Bondone have in common with the Baronci family?
5. After a night of making love, what happens to the couple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
2. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
3. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
4. When Monna Giovanna's son becomes seriously ill, what does he tell her might make him better?
5. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
6. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
7. What does Gualtieri do to assure himself that his wife, Griselda, is a worthy woman?
8. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
9. When two of Brother Onion's friends see him in the village proclaiming he will show a feather from the angel Gabriel, what do they plan to do?
10. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How People Change Over Time. Begin by summarizing the tale of Tedaldo who leaves Florence after a quarrel with his mistress and later returns as a pilgrim and is not recognized by anyone who once knew him. Go to a discussion of how people not seen for a long time change physically, mentally, and emotionally. If possible use an example from your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as a Forerunner to Novels with Sexual Themes. First discuss the largely sexual nature of THE DECAMERON. Then compare the work to Henry Fielding's TOM JONES, Daniel Defoe's MOLL FLANDERS, and Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)