|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Caterina fall in love?
2. With whom does Tingoccio have an affair?
3. What does Don Gianni di Barolo have that shows his wealth?
4. What do the villagers know of the Brother from St. Anthony's who comes once a year?
5. Who discovers the two lovers the next morning in their compromising situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
2. What happens when the two men come to confess to Brother Onion what they had done.?
3. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
4. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
5. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
6. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
7. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
8. Besides his homely countenance, describe what Messer Forese da Rabatta is noted for.
9. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
10. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why THE DECAMERON Should Be Required Reading. In your essay include the historic value of the book, the impact the book has had on modern novels, and the classic nature of the work. Discuss THE DECAMERON as a means of understanding the period of the Black Death in Europe and the attitude of living for today because tomorrow we may die. Conclude with why you think a reader is enriched by reading this particular work.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)