|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the road, how do Rabatta and Bondone dress?
2. What does Peronella do shortly after her marriage?
3. What warning does Don Gianni give the couple before he casts his spell?
4. Who is the somewhat spoiled Caterina?
5. What suddenly happens to Monna Giovanna's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gualtieri do to assure himself that his wife, Griselda, is a worthy woman?
2. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
3. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
4. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
5. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
6. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
7. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
8. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
9. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
10. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why THE DECAMERON Should Be Required Reading. In your essay include the historic value of the book, the impact the book has had on modern novels, and the classic nature of the work. Discuss THE DECAMERON as a means of understanding the period of the Black Death in Europe and the attitude of living for today because tomorrow we may die. Conclude with why you think a reader is enriched by reading this particular work.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)