|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Brother Onion make to the villagers this time?
2. Why has Peronella's husband come home in the middle of the day?
3. What is the passion of Frederigo, a man of noble birth who squanders his fortune for the love of Monna Giovanna?
4. At what point does Pietro speak and break the spell?
5. Where do the two men who played the trick go the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
2. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
3. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
4. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
5. What happens when the two men come to confess to Brother Onion what they had done.?
6. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
7. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
8. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
9. When two of Brother Onion's friends see him in the village proclaiming he will show a feather from the angel Gabriel, what do they plan to do?
10. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Historic Setting for THE DECAMERON. Include the bubonic plague that caused people to leave the cities looking for ways to avoid contact with the plague. Discuss the limited ways to find entertainment under such circumstances. Finally, address the activity of story telling as the best possible form of entertainment under the circumstances in 1348 A. D.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, the device Boccaccio uses in the character of Dioneo tell the tenth tale every evening. Discuss this literary device in terms of transition and keeping the story flowing in the form of the novel. Conclude with the element of suspense that this device brings to THE DECAMERON making the reader want to read on.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)