|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Peronella's lover come to visit her?
2. What do the villagers know of the Brother from St. Anthony's who comes once a year?
3. How does Rabatta insult Bondone?
4. Who is the somewhat spoiled Caterina?
5. What poses a problem for the two men who plan to play a trick on Brother Onion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
2. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
3. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
4. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
5. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
6. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
7. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
8. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
9. When two of Brother Onion's friends see him in the village proclaiming he will show a feather from the angel Gabriel, what do they plan to do?
10. What does Gualtieri do to assure himself that his wife, Griselda, is a worthy woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How People Change Over Time. Begin by summarizing the tale of Tedaldo who leaves Florence after a quarrel with his mistress and later returns as a pilgrim and is not recognized by anyone who once knew him. Go to a discussion of how people not seen for a long time change physically, mentally, and emotionally. If possible use an example from your own life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Historic Setting for THE DECAMERON. Include the bubonic plague that caused people to leave the cities looking for ways to avoid contact with the plague. Discuss the limited ways to find entertainment under such circumstances. Finally, address the activity of story telling as the best possible form of entertainment under the circumstances in 1348 A. D.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)