|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the villagers look forward to the arrival of the monk from St. Anthony's monastery?
2. How does he explain the charcoal?
3. What does Messer Lizio di Valbona tell his wife Caterina's hand was wrapped around when he found them?
4. Why has Peronella's husband come home in the middle of the day?
5. With whom does Caterina fall in love?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Monna Giovanna's son becomes seriously ill, what does he tell her might make him better?
2. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
3. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
4. What plan does Caterina devise in order to be with Ricciardo?
5. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
6. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
7. What is the reply that Bondone gives Rabatta after his insult?
8. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
9. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
10. What does Gualtieri do to assure himself that his wife, Griselda, is a worthy woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Story I Most Enjoyed in THE DECAMERON. First summarize the story you liked best and then explain in detail why that particular story caught your fancy. Be sure to mention the literary qualities of the story that made it stand out in your mind.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why THE DECAMERON Should Be Required Reading. In your essay include the historic value of the book, the impact the book has had on modern novels, and the classic nature of the work. Discuss THE DECAMERON as a means of understanding the period of the Black Death in Europe and the attitude of living for today because tomorrow we may die. Conclude with why you think a reader is enriched by reading this particular work.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)