|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frederigo leave the city for his farm?
2. On the road, how do Rabatta and Bondone dress?
3. When the weather does not change, what do Rabatta and Bondone decide to do?
4. Who is the somewhat spoiled Caterina?
5. What does Monna Giovanna determine to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
2. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
3. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
4. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
5. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
6. What is the result of a man sneaking into an Abbess' cell after he has fallen in love with her?
7. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
8. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
9. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
10. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Historic Setting for THE DECAMERON. Include the bubonic plague that caused people to leave the cities looking for ways to avoid contact with the plague. Discuss the limited ways to find entertainment under such circumstances. Finally, address the activity of story telling as the best possible form of entertainment under the circumstances in 1348 A. D.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)