|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ricciardo learns of Caterina's love for him?
2. After a night of making love, what happens to the couple?
3. Where do the two men who played the trick go the next day?
4. What does Don Gianni di Barolo have that shows his wealth?
5. How does Peronella explain the man who is in the barrel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
2. What is the reply that Bondone gives Rabatta after his insult?
3. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
4. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
5. What does Gualtieri do to assure himself that his wife, Griselda, is a worthy woman?
6. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
7. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
8. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
9. What happens when the two men come to confess to Brother Onion what they had done.?
10. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Sin of Getting Caught. Use examples from THE DECAMERON to show how the thing people are often sorriest for is that of getting caught. Contrast Peronella and Brother Alberto to show how getting caught is what brings a person down.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Value of Quick Thinking. Find at least two examples of how a person's quick thinking in THE DECAMERON averted a serious complication. Discuss the ability to think quickly in compromising situations and give an example or two of how it might work in a situation you set up for purposes of this essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)