|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Caterina fall in love?
2. Who discovers the two lovers the next morning in their compromising situation?
3. What do the villagers know of the Brother from St. Anthony's who comes once a year?
4. While Peronella's husband is inside cleaning the barrel, what is Peronella doing?
5. What do the two men who know Brother Onion plan to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
2. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
3. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
4. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
5. What does Gualtieri do to assure himself that his wife, Griselda, is a worthy woman?
6. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
7. How does Peronella turn the situation around and get her husband inside the barrel.
8. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
9. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
10. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Absurdity of Applying Double Standards. Using the tale of the abbess who is caught with a man's pants on her head instead of her veil, write about applying double standards. Use both religious and political examples from the modern world as other examples in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Sin of Getting Caught. Use examples from THE DECAMERON to show how the thing people are often sorriest for is that of getting caught. Contrast Peronella and Brother Alberto to show how getting caught is what brings a person down.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)