|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ricciardo learns of Caterina's love for him?
2. What is Ricciardo's plan after Caterina makes her bed on the balcony?
3. What does Monna Giovanna's son want to possess?
4. What do the two men who know Brother Onion plan to do?
5. What reason does Caterina give for wanting to change her sleeping arrangements?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
2. On the way home in the rain, what is Rabatta's insulting comment about his friend, Bondone?
3. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
4. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
5. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
6. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
7. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
8. What is the result of a man sneaking into an Abbess' cell after he has fallen in love with her?
9. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
10. What plan does Caterina devise in order to be with Ricciardo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Story I Most Enjoyed in THE DECAMERON. First summarize the story you liked best and then explain in detail why that particular story caught your fancy. Be sure to mention the literary qualities of the story that made it stand out in your mind.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)