|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the avocation of Gualtieri, the son of a wealthy marquis in Saluzzo?
2. Why has Peronella's husband come home in the middle of the day?
3. What friendship does Monna Giovanna's son strike up in the country?
4. At what point does Pietro speak and break the spell?
5. How does Rabatta insult Bondone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reply that Bondone gives Rabatta after his insult?
2. How does Peronella turn the situation around and get her husband inside the barrel.
3. When two of Brother Onion's friends see him in the village proclaiming he will show a feather from the angel Gabriel, what do they plan to do?
4. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
5. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
6. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
7. On the way home in the rain, what is Rabatta's insulting comment about his friend, Bondone?
8. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
9. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
10. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How People Change Over Time. Begin by summarizing the tale of Tedaldo who leaves Florence after a quarrel with his mistress and later returns as a pilgrim and is not recognized by anyone who once knew him. Go to a discussion of how people not seen for a long time change physically, mentally, and emotionally. If possible use an example from your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Sin of Getting Caught. Use examples from THE DECAMERON to show how the thing people are often sorriest for is that of getting caught. Contrast Peronella and Brother Alberto to show how getting caught is what brings a person down.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)