|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caterina beg her parents to allow her to do?
2. How does Calandrino know that he no longer has magic powers?
3. When Gualtieri finally marries, what does he decide to do?
4. What does Peronella's lover do while she supervises her husband?
5. When Don Gianni visit the house of the poor Pietro da Tresanti, what is the situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
2. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
3. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
4. What plan does Caterina devise in order to be with Ricciardo?
5. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
6. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
7. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
8. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
9. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
10. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Historic Setting for THE DECAMERON. Include the bubonic plague that caused people to leave the cities looking for ways to avoid contact with the plague. Discuss the limited ways to find entertainment under such circumstances. Finally, address the activity of story telling as the best possible form of entertainment under the circumstances in 1348 A. D.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)