|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the villagers know of the Brother from St. Anthony's who comes once a year?
2. What does Monna Giovanna discover after dinner?
3. What do the simple-minded Pietro and his wife want Don Gianni to do?
4. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic stones, how do his friends play a trick on him?
5. Who is the somewhat spoiled Caterina?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
2. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
3. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
4. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
5. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
6. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
7. Besides his homely countenance, describe what Messer Forese da Rabatta is noted for.
8. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
9. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
10. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Absurdity of Applying Double Standards. Using the tale of the abbess who is caught with a man's pants on her head instead of her veil, write about applying double standards. Use both religious and political examples from the modern world as other examples in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Sin of Getting Caught. Use examples from THE DECAMERON to show how the thing people are often sorriest for is that of getting caught. Contrast Peronella and Brother Alberto to show how getting caught is what brings a person down.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)