|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ricciardo avoid being killed for his transgression?
2. After Tingoccio dies, what does he do that he had promised Meuccio in life?
3. On the road, how do Rabatta and Bondone dress?
4. What does Peronella's lover do while she supervises her husband?
5. How do Gualtieri and his wife get back together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
2. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
3. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
4. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
5. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
6. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
7. When Monna Giovanna's son becomes seriously ill, what does he tell her might make him better?
8. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
9. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
10. What is the result of a man sneaking into an Abbess' cell after he has fallen in love with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Value of Quick Thinking. Find at least two examples of how a person's quick thinking in THE DECAMERON averted a serious complication. Discuss the ability to think quickly in compromising situations and give an example or two of how it might work in a situation you set up for purposes of this essay.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)