|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bondone's profession?
2. Who are Don Gianni di Barolo and Pietro da Tresanti?
3. How do Gualtieri and his wife get back together?
4. What is Peronella's occupation?
5. When Rabatta and Bondone meet on the road to Florence, what happens to cause them to seek shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
2. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
3. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
4. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
5. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
6. What is the reply that Bondone gives Rabatta after his insult?
7. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
8. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
9. Besides his homely countenance, describe what Messer Forese da Rabatta is noted for.
10. When two of Brother Onion's friends see him in the village proclaiming he will show a feather from the angel Gabriel, what do they plan to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as a Forerunner to Novels with Sexual Themes. First discuss the largely sexual nature of THE DECAMERON. Then compare the work to Henry Fielding's TOM JONES, Daniel Defoe's MOLL FLANDERS, and Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Sin of Getting Caught. Use examples from THE DECAMERON to show how the thing people are often sorriest for is that of getting caught. Contrast Peronella and Brother Alberto to show how getting caught is what brings a person down.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)