|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Gianni di Barolo have that shows his wealth?
2. What happens when the two friends tell Brother Onion what they had done?
3. Why does Frederigo leave the city for his farm?
4. What does Bondone say people would think after looking at Rabatta?
5. As they travel along, what do Rabatta and Bondone begin to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the way home in the rain, what is Rabatta's insulting comment about his friend, Bondone?
2. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
3. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
4. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
5. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
6. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
7. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
8. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
9. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
10. When Monna Giovanna's son becomes seriously ill, what does he tell her might make him better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How People Change Over Time. Begin by summarizing the tale of Tedaldo who leaves Florence after a quarrel with his mistress and later returns as a pilgrim and is not recognized by anyone who once knew him. Go to a discussion of how people not seen for a long time change physically, mentally, and emotionally. If possible use an example from your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as a Forerunner to Novels with Sexual Themes. First discuss the largely sexual nature of THE DECAMERON. Then compare the work to Henry Fielding's TOM JONES, Daniel Defoe's MOLL FLANDERS, and Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)