|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Brother Onion make to the villagers this time?
2. What does Messer Lizio di Valbona tell his wife Caterina's hand was wrapped around when he found them?
3. What does Gianni have the wife do before casting his spell?
4. Why does the Brother from St. Anthony's monastery travel each year to a nearby village?
5. What does Caterina beg her parents to allow her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
2. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
3. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
4. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
5. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
6. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
7. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
8. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
9. What happens when the two men come to confess to Brother Onion what they had done.?
10. Besides his homely countenance, describe what Messer Forese da Rabatta is noted for.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How People Change Over Time. Begin by summarizing the tale of Tedaldo who leaves Florence after a quarrel with his mistress and later returns as a pilgrim and is not recognized by anyone who once knew him. Go to a discussion of how people not seen for a long time change physically, mentally, and emotionally. If possible use an example from your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)