|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Calandrino know that he no longer has magic powers?
2. What is the transgression of the abbess who is told in the middle of the night about a nun who has been caught with her lover?
3. How does Ricciardo avoid being killed for his transgression?
4. What is Rabatta's profession?
5. Why do the villagers look forward to the arrival of the monk from St. Anthony's monastery?
Short Essay Questions
1. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
2. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
3. What happens when the two men come to confess to Brother Onion what they had done.?
4. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
5. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
6. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
7. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
8. What plan does Caterina devise in order to be with Ricciardo?
9. When Monna Giovanna's son becomes seriously ill, what does he tell her might make him better?
10. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why THE DECAMERON Should Be Required Reading. In your essay include the historic value of the book, the impact the book has had on modern novels, and the classic nature of the work. Discuss THE DECAMERON as a means of understanding the period of the Black Death in Europe and the attitude of living for today because tomorrow we may die. Conclude with why you think a reader is enriched by reading this particular work.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as a Forerunner to Novels with Sexual Themes. First discuss the largely sexual nature of THE DECAMERON. Then compare the work to Henry Fielding's TOM JONES, Daniel Defoe's MOLL FLANDERS, and Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)