|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the transgression of the abbess who is told in the middle of the night about a nun who has been caught with her lover?
2. What reason does Caterina give for wanting to change her sleeping arrangements?
3. Who are Calandrino, Bruno and Buffalmacco?
4. What do the two men who know Brother Onion plan to do?
5. How does Ricciardo avoid being killed for his transgression?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
2. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
3. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
4. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
5. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
6. Besides his homely countenance, describe what Messer Forese da Rabatta is noted for.
7. What plan does Caterina devise in order to be with Ricciardo?
8. How does Peronella turn the situation around and get her husband inside the barrel.
9. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
10. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a story of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages in the style of THE DECAMERON. This is a creative writing assignment where you are required to tell a story using the euphemistic language of THE DECAMERON and one of the themes such as unexpected happy endings or tragic endings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)