|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the transgression of the abbess who is told in the middle of the night about a nun who has been caught with her lover?
2. What does Monna Giovanna discover after dinner?
3. What does Caterina beg her parents to allow her to do?
4. What does Don Gianni di Barolo have that shows his wealth?
5. Who are Don Gianni di Barolo and Pietro da Tresanti?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
2. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
3. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
4. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
5. When collecting alms from a nearby village, what does Brother Onion use to get the people to give freely?
6. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
7. Besides his homely countenance, describe what Messer Forese da Rabatta is noted for.
8. How does Peronella turn the situation around and get her husband inside the barrel.
9. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
10. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)