|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Gianni tell to excuse himself from taking Pietro's bed that night?
2. Where does Tingoccio tell Meuccio he now is?
3. What reason does Caterina give for wanting to change her sleeping arrangements?
4. What do Messer Forese da Rabatta and Giotto di Bondone have in common with the Baronci family?
5. What suddenly happens to Monna Giovanna's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reply that Bondone gives Rabatta after his insult?
2. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
3. What happens when the two men come to confess to Brother Onion what they had done.?
4. What is the result of a man sneaking into an Abbess' cell after he has fallen in love with her?
5. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
6. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
7. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
8. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
9. Besides his homely countenance, describe what Messer Forese da Rabatta is noted for.
10. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
Essay Topic 2
Write a story of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages in the style of THE DECAMERON. This is a creative writing assignment where you are required to tell a story using the euphemistic language of THE DECAMERON and one of the themes such as unexpected happy endings or tragic endings.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)