|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they travel along, what do Rabatta and Bondone begin to do?
2. What is the name of the Brother from the monastery of St. Anthony that is the same as the name of a vegetable?
3. Who are Calandrino, Bruno and Buffalmacco?
4. What is the occupation of the man Peronella marries?
5. What poses a problem for the two men who plan to play a trick on Brother Onion?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
2. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
3. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
4. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
5. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
6. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
7. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
8. On the way home in the rain, what is Rabatta's insulting comment about his friend, Bondone?
9. How does Peronella turn the situation around and get her husband inside the barrel.
10. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Story I Most Enjoyed in THE DECAMERON. First summarize the story you liked best and then explain in detail why that particular story caught your fancy. Be sure to mention the literary qualities of the story that made it stand out in your mind.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)