|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Gianni tell to excuse himself from taking Pietro's bed that night?
2. What does Monna Giovanna offer Frederico for the fortune he lost trying to please her?
3. After Tingoccio dies, what does he do that he had promised Meuccio in life?
4. Why do the villagers look forward to the arrival of the monk from St. Anthony's monastery?
5. What euphemism does the story teller use for "the thing you are ashamed to mention among men?"
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, the device Boccaccio uses in the character of Dioneo tell the tenth tale every evening. Discuss this literary device in terms of transition and keeping the story flowing in the form of the novel. Conclude with the element of suspense that this device brings to THE DECAMERON making the reader want to read on.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Value of Quick Thinking. Find at least two examples of how a person's quick thinking in THE DECAMERON averted a serious complication. Discuss the ability to think quickly in compromising situations and give an example or two of how it might work in a situation you set up for purposes of this essay.
This section contains 1,575 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)