|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abraham returns, what does he want to do that surprises Giannotto?
2. Who murders Pericone, Alatiel's first lover?
3. What does Rustico tell Alibech to do?
4. Where does Alibech sleep?
5. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reply that Bondone gives Rabatta after his insult?
2. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
3. Describe the happy occasion for Alatiel as she prepares to get married.
4. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
5. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
6. What unusual thing causes Peronella and her lover to look for a place to hide him?
7. What is the result of a man sneaking into an Abbess' cell after he has fallen in love with her?
8. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
9. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
10. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Absurdity of Applying Double Standards. Using the tale of the abbess who is caught with a man's pants on her head instead of her veil, write about applying double standards. Use both religious and political examples from the modern world as other examples in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages in the style of THE DECAMERON. This is a creative writing assignment where you are required to tell a story using the euphemistic language of THE DECAMERON and one of the themes such as unexpected happy endings or tragic endings.
This section contains 1,914 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)