|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the abbot never punish the monk?
2. Where do Constanza and Alatiel go after they leave Athens?
3. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
4. What does a monk see that ignites his temptation?
5. How does Saladin honor Melchisedech?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
2. How does Brother Alberto take advantage of Lisetta whom he calls Lady Halfwit?
3. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
4. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
5. How does Ghismunda end her life?
6. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
7. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
8. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
9. Describe the happy occasion for Alatiel as she prepares to get married.
10. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Historic Setting for THE DECAMERON. Include the bubonic plague that caused people to leave the cities looking for ways to avoid contact with the plague. Discuss the limited ways to find entertainment under such circumstances. Finally, address the activity of story telling as the best possible form of entertainment under the circumstances in 1348 A. D.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Absurdity of Applying Double Standards. Using the tale of the abbess who is caught with a man's pants on her head instead of her veil, write about applying double standards. Use both religious and political examples from the modern world as other examples in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)