|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a prostitute deceive Pietro?
2. How does Monna Lisetta respond to the idea that the Angel Gabriel wants her?
3. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
4. Where does Ser Ciappelletto find lodging in Burgundy?
5. What does Nuto suggest Masetto do to get the job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
2. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
3. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
4. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
5. What eventually transpires between Masetto and one of the nuns?
6. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
7. What means of entertainment do the young people devise?
8. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
9. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
10. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)