|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abraham conclude that the Christian religion is strong and will last?
2. Where does Alibech sleep?
3. What happens to Marato on board a ship?
4. How does Monna Lisetta meet Brother Alberto?
5. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What eventually transpires between Masetto and one of the nuns?
2. What means of entertainment do the young people devise?
3. What happens that returns Alibech to her village?
4. What do the brothers think when they hear Ciappelletto's confession?
5. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
6. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
7. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
8. Who takes Andreuccio into a scheme to make easy money?
9. How does Brother Alberto take advantage of Lisetta whom he calls Lady Halfwit?
10. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, the device Boccaccio uses in the character of Dioneo tell the tenth tale every evening. Discuss this literary device in terms of transition and keeping the story flowing in the form of the novel. Conclude with the element of suspense that this device brings to THE DECAMERON making the reader want to read on.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)