|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arrangement does Alberto say is necessary for Gabriel to sleep with Monna Lisetta?
2. What does Alibech find surprising?
3. What does Abraham observe among the church leaders in Rome?
4. How can Berto so easily convince people that he has taken on the vows of poverty and chastity?
5. What story does Alberto tell Monna Lisetta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
2. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
3. How does Brother Alberto take advantage of Lisetta whom he calls Lady Halfwit?
4. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
5. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
6. Describe the happy occasion for Alatiel as she prepares to get married.
7. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
8. After becoming a widow shortly after her marriage, what does Ghismunda see her father, Tancredi, has no plans of doing?
9. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
10. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as a Forerunner to Novels with Sexual Themes. First discuss the largely sexual nature of THE DECAMERON. Then compare the work to Henry Fielding's TOM JONES, Daniel Defoe's MOLL FLANDERS, and Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)