|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the monk trick the abbot?
2. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
3. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
4. What happens to Marato on board a ship?
5. Tiring of Monna Lisetta's vain confessions, what does Brother Alberto do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
2. Who takes Andreuccio into a scheme to make easy money?
3. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
4. What do the brothers think when they hear Ciappelletto's confession?
5. What happens that returns Alibech to her village?
6. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
7. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
8. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
9. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
10. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)