|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alibech set out on her quest?
2. Why does Rustico agree to allow Alibech to remain with him?
3. What does Rustico tell Alibech she must do to serve God?
4. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
5. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
2. How does Tancredi discover the affair between Ghismunda and Guiscardo?
3. After becoming a widow shortly after her marriage, what does Ghismunda see her father, Tancredi, has no plans of doing?
4. Who takes Andreuccio into a scheme to make easy money?
5. What does the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight, do that her father knows nothing about?
6. What is the sad situation with Frederigo, a man of noble birth?
7. How does Peronella turn the situation around and get her husband inside the barrel.
8. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
9. Explain the kind of work done by another ugly man by the name of Giotto di Bondone.
10. On the way home in the rain, what is Rabatta's insulting comment about his friend, Bondone?
Essay Topic 1
Write a story of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages in the style of THE DECAMERON. This is a creative writing assignment where you are required to tell a story using the euphemistic language of THE DECAMERON and one of the themes such as unexpected happy endings or tragic endings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
This section contains 1,957 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)