|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rustico soon discover?
2. Where does the monk take a woman?
3. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
4. What does Rustico tell Alibech she must do to serve God?
5. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
2. How does Brother Alberto take advantage of Lisetta whom he calls Lady Halfwit?
3. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
4. Who takes Andreuccio into a scheme to make easy money?
5. Why have the young people of the novel left Florence and gone into the country?
6. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
7. What do the brothers think when they hear Ciappelletto's confession?
8. What happens that returns Alibech to her village?
9. How does Ghismunda end her life?
10. Describe the happy occasion for Alatiel as she prepares to get married.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Story I Most Enjoyed in THE DECAMERON. First summarize the story you liked best and then explain in detail why that particular story caught your fancy. Be sure to mention the literary qualities of the story that made it stand out in your mind.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)