|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Musciatto Franzesi choose Ser Ciappelletto to handle debts and trade?
2. Who is the next rival for the favor of Alatiel?
3. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
4. What do the women tell Alibech?
5. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
2. What happens that returns Alibech to her village?
3. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
4. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
5. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
6. Who takes Andreuccio into a scheme to make easy money?
7. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
8. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
9. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
10. What does Alibech learn from Rustico?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Value of Quick Thinking. Find at least two examples of how a person's quick thinking in THE DECAMERON averted a serious complication. Discuss the ability to think quickly in compromising situations and give an example or two of how it might work in a situation you set up for purposes of this essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)