|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the trouble at sea, what happens to the men who love Alatiel?
2. How does the monk trick the abbot?
3. What does Alibech find surprising?
4. Where does Pietro go to ply his trade?
5. What is Monna Lisetta's character like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have the young people of the novel left Florence and gone into the country?
2. What eventually transpires between Masetto and one of the nuns?
3. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
4. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
5. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
6. Describe the happy occasion for Alatiel as she prepares to get married.
7. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
8. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
9. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
10. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Story I Most Enjoyed in THE DECAMERON. First summarize the story you liked best and then explain in detail why that particular story caught your fancy. Be sure to mention the literary qualities of the story that made it stand out in your mind.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Historic Setting for THE DECAMERON. Include the bubonic plague that caused people to leave the cities looking for ways to avoid contact with the plague. Discuss the limited ways to find entertainment under such circumstances. Finally, address the activity of story telling as the best possible form of entertainment under the circumstances in 1348 A. D.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)