|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Monna Lisetta respond to the idea that the Angel Gabriel wants her?
2. Who does Alibech eventually find?
3. Why is Masetto interested in the gardening job?
4. Why does Constanzo leave the battle and return to the duke's house?
5. What results after Monna Lisetta believes Alberto's story and agrees to comply?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
2. What eventually transpires between Masetto and one of the nuns?
3. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
4. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
5. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
6. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
7. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
8. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
9. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
10. How does Tancredi discover the affair between Ghismunda and Guiscardo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, the device Boccaccio uses in the character of Dioneo tell the tenth tale every evening. Discuss this literary device in terms of transition and keeping the story flowing in the form of the novel. Conclude with the element of suspense that this device brings to THE DECAMERON making the reader want to read on.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)