Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
2. Who is Alatiel?
3. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
4. What does Alibech find surprising?
5. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that returns Alibech to her village?
2. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
3. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
4. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
5. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
6. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
7. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
8. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
9. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
10. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
Essay Topic 1
Write a story of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages in the style of THE DECAMERON. This is a creative writing assignment where you are required to tell a story using the euphemistic language of THE DECAMERON and one of the themes such as unexpected happy endings or tragic endings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Absurdity of Applying Double Standards. Using the tale of the abbess who is caught with a man's pants on her head instead of her veil, write about applying double standards. Use both religious and political examples from the modern world as other examples in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Sin of Getting Caught. Use examples from THE DECAMERON to show how the thing people are often sorriest for is that of getting caught. Contrast Peronella and Brother Alberto to show how getting caught is what brings a person down.
This section contains 1,909 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)