|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
2. Who is Alatiel?
3. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
4. What does Alibech find surprising?
5. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that returns Alibech to her village?
2. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
3. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
4. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
5. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
6. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
7. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
8. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
9. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
10. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Sexuality in THE DECAMERON. Select three examples of sexual behavior related in the tales told in THE DECAMERON. Discuss the manner in which these are presented made quite clear without going into graphic detail.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, the device Boccaccio uses in the character of Dioneo tell the tenth tale every evening. Discuss this literary device in terms of transition and keeping the story flowing in the form of the novel. Conclude with the element of suspense that this device brings to THE DECAMERON making the reader want to read on.
This section contains 1,909 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)