|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Constanzo leave the battle and return to the duke's house?
2. Why does Rustico agree to allow Alibech to remain with him?
3. What does the foolish Alibech think she is doing when she allows the monk to have his way with her?
4. Where does Ser Ciappelletto find lodging in Burgundy?
5. Tiring of Monna Lisetta's vain confessions, what does Brother Alberto do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
2. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
3. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
4. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
5. How does Tancredi discover the affair between Ghismunda and Guiscardo?
6. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
7. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
8. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
9. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
10. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a story of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages in the style of THE DECAMERON. This is a creative writing assignment where you are required to tell a story using the euphemistic language of THE DECAMERON and one of the themes such as unexpected happy endings or tragic endings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)