|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Constanzo leave the battle and return to the duke's house?
2. Who murders Pericone, Alatiel's first lover?
3. Why does Musciatto Franzesi choose Ser Ciappelletto to handle debts and trade?
4. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
5. Who comes to the aid of the duke when war is proclaimed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ghismunda end her life?
2. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
3. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
4. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
5. What does Alibech learn from Rustico?
6. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
7. What eventually transpires between Masetto and one of the nuns?
8. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
9. How does Brother Alberto take advantage of Lisetta whom he calls Lady Halfwit?
10. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Man's Desire to Return from the Dead. In your essay point out that one reason for returning from the dead is to tell the living what it is like on the other side. Compare the pact made by Tingoccio Mini and Meuccio di Tura with the Twentieth Century magician, Harry Houdini who made a similar promise. Conclude with the fact that there is no evidence that anyone has ever succeeded in this return.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)