|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the discovery of Saladin, the Sultan of Babylon?
2. What does Pietro end up with that is worth more than the money he lost?
3. Who murders Pericone, Alatiel's first lover?
4. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
5. Who is Alatiel's next lover after Constanzo?
Short Essay Questions
1. After becoming a widow shortly after her marriage, what does Ghismunda see her father, Tancredi, has no plans of doing?
2. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
3. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
4. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
5. What eventually transpires between Masetto and one of the nuns?
6. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
7. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
8. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
9. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
10. What means of entertainment do the young people devise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, the device Boccaccio uses in the character of Dioneo tell the tenth tale every evening. Discuss this literary device in terms of transition and keeping the story flowing in the form of the novel. Conclude with the element of suspense that this device brings to THE DECAMERON making the reader want to read on.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Story I Most Enjoyed in THE DECAMERON. First summarize the story you liked best and then explain in detail why that particular story caught your fancy. Be sure to mention the literary qualities of the story that made it stand out in your mind.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)