|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the nuns begin to do with Masetto?
2. What is Monna Lisetta's character like?
3. After the trouble at sea, what happens to the men who love Alatiel?
4. How does Monna Lisetta meet Brother Alberto?
5. Why does Constanzo leave the battle and return to the duke's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
2. Why have the young people of the novel left Florence and gone into the country?
3. What do the brothers think when they hear Ciappelletto's confession?
4. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
5. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
6. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
7. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
8. How does Brother Alberto take advantage of Lisetta whom he calls Lady Halfwit?
9. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
10. Who takes Andreuccio into a scheme to make easy money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, the device Boccaccio uses in the character of Dioneo tell the tenth tale every evening. Discuss this literary device in terms of transition and keeping the story flowing in the form of the novel. Conclude with the element of suspense that this device brings to THE DECAMERON making the reader want to read on.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)