|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the first holy man send Alibech away?
2. What do the women tell Alibech?
3. What does Ghismunda do when she sees her father will not look for another husband for her?
4. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
5. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brother Alberto take advantage of Lisetta whom he calls Lady Halfwit?
2. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
3. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
4. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
5. What do the brothers think when they hear Ciappelletto's confession?
6. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
7. What eventually transpires between Masetto and one of the nuns?
8. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
9. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
10. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why THE DECAMERON Should Be Required Reading. In your essay include the historic value of the book, the impact the book has had on modern novels, and the classic nature of the work. Discuss THE DECAMERON as a means of understanding the period of the Black Death in Europe and the attitude of living for today because tomorrow we may die. Conclude with why you think a reader is enriched by reading this particular work.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)