Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the abbot never punish the monk?
2. Where does Pietro go to ply his trade?
3. How does Ser Ciappelletto get a priest to absolve him?
4. What are the three holy laws Saladin challenges Melchisedech to name as the one with the most truths?
5. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
2. What plan does Caterina devise in order to be with Ricciardo?
3. How does Calandrino learn that the magic has gone out of the rocks?
4. When two of Brother Onion's friends see him in the village proclaiming he will show a feather from the angel Gabriel, what do they plan to do?
5. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
6. How does Don Gianni di Barolo have his way with the wife of Pietro da Tresanti while Pietro looks on?
7. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
8. After becoming a widow shortly after her marriage, what does Ghismunda see her father, Tancredi, has no plans of doing?
9. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
10. Describe the painters, Calandrino, Bruno, and Buffalmacco.
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Story I Most Enjoyed in THE DECAMERON. First summarize the story you liked best and then explain in detail why that particular story caught your fancy. Be sure to mention the literary qualities of the story that made it stand out in your mind.
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)