|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Masetto sleeping in the garden when the abbess finds him and begins to lust after him?
2. What does Alibech find surprising?
3. What does Ghismunda do when she sees her father will not look for another husband for her?
4. How can Berto so easily convince people that he has taken on the vows of poverty and chastity?
5. Why does the King determine that no one should ever know about all the men and unfortunate circumstances in Alatiel's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
2. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
3. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
4. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
5. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
6. After becoming a widow shortly after her marriage, what does Ghismunda see her father, Tancredi, has no plans of doing?
7. How does Ghismunda end her life?
8. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
9. Describe the happy occasion for Alatiel as she prepares to get married.
10. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Sexuality in THE DECAMERON. Select three examples of sexual behavior related in the tales told in THE DECAMERON. Discuss the manner in which these are presented made quite clear without going into graphic detail.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as a Forerunner to Novels with Sexual Themes. First discuss the largely sexual nature of THE DECAMERON. Then compare the work to Henry Fielding's TOM JONES, Daniel Defoe's MOLL FLANDERS, and Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)