|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the first holy man send Alibech?
2. Why do the nuns keep Masetto in the convent for many years?
3. Why is Masetto interested in the gardening job?
4. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
5. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ghismunda end her life?
2. What is the reply that Bondone gives Rabatta after his insult?
3. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
4. What does Gualtieri do to assure himself that his wife, Griselda, is a worthy woman?
5. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
6. Why have the young people of the novel left Florence and gone into the country?
7. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
8. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
9. After becoming a widow shortly after her marriage, what does Ghismunda see her father, Tancredi, has no plans of doing?
10. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic rocks, what do Bruno and Buffalmacco decide to do.
Essay Topic 1
Write a story of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages in the style of THE DECAMERON. This is a creative writing assignment where you are required to tell a story using the euphemistic language of THE DECAMERON and one of the themes such as unexpected happy endings or tragic endings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, the device Boccaccio uses in the character of Dioneo tell the tenth tale every evening. Discuss this literary device in terms of transition and keeping the story flowing in the form of the novel. Conclude with the element of suspense that this device brings to THE DECAMERON making the reader want to read on.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
This section contains 1,973 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)