|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
2. Where does Pietro go to ply his trade?
3. Why does the King determine that no one should ever know about all the men and unfortunate circumstances in Alatiel's life?
4. What does Nuto suggest Masetto do to get the job?
5. What are the three holy laws Saladin challenges Melchisedech to name as the one with the most truths?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
2. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
3. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
4. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
5. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
6. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
7. What does Alibech learn from Rustico?
8. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
9. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
10. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Sin of Getting Caught. Use examples from THE DECAMERON to show how the thing people are often sorriest for is that of getting caught. Contrast Peronella and Brother Alberto to show how getting caught is what brings a person down.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Story Telling as a Form of Entertainment. Begin with the format of THE DECAMERON as a succession of ten nights of story telling. Follow that with story telling as entertainment in the centuries that followed before radio and television. Conclude with how mainstream entertainment media today is all about telling stories in both words and images.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages in the style of THE DECAMERON. This is a creative writing assignment where you are required to tell a story using the euphemistic language of THE DECAMERON and one of the themes such as unexpected happy endings or tragic endings.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)