|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rustico tell Alibech to do?
2. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
3. How does Tancredi discover his daughter's affair with Guiscardo?
4. Why do the nuns keep Masetto in the convent for many years?
5. What happens to Marato on board a ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brother Alberto take advantage of Lisetta whom he calls Lady Halfwit?
2. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
3. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
4. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
5. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
6. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
7. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
8. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
9. How does Tancredi discover the affair between Ghismunda and Guiscardo?
10. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How People Change Over Time. Begin by summarizing the tale of Tedaldo who leaves Florence after a quarrel with his mistress and later returns as a pilgrim and is not recognized by anyone who once knew him. Go to a discussion of how people not seen for a long time change physically, mentally, and emotionally. If possible use an example from your own life.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)