|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eventually, who does Ghismunda marry as arranged by her father?
2. Why does the King determine that no one should ever know about all the men and unfortunate circumstances in Alatiel's life?
3. How does Ciappelletto's confession later hoodwink the church?
4. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
5. When Abraham returns, what does he want to do that surprises Giannotto?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
2. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
3. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
4. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
5. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
6. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
7. How does Tancredi discover the affair between Ghismunda and Guiscardo?
8. Describe the happy occasion for Alatiel as she prepares to get married.
9. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
10. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why THE DECAMERON Should Be Required Reading. In your essay include the historic value of the book, the impact the book has had on modern novels, and the classic nature of the work. Discuss THE DECAMERON as a means of understanding the period of the Black Death in Europe and the attitude of living for today because tomorrow we may die. Conclude with why you think a reader is enriched by reading this particular work.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)