|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the three holy laws Saladin challenges Melchisedech to name as the one with the most truths?
2. What tragedy befalls Alatiel?
3. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
4. What is the premise of the novel that results in rounds of story telling?
5. How does a prostitute deceive Pietro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What means of entertainment do the young people devise?
2. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
3. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
4. What do the brothers think when they hear Ciappelletto's confession?
5. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
6. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
7. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
8. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
9. Describe the happy occasion for Alatiel as she prepares to get married.
10. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why THE DECAMERON Should Be Required Reading. In your essay include the historic value of the book, the impact the book has had on modern novels, and the classic nature of the work. Discuss THE DECAMERON as a means of understanding the period of the Black Death in Europe and the attitude of living for today because tomorrow we may die. Conclude with why you think a reader is enriched by reading this particular work.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Absurdity of Applying Double Standards. Using the tale of the abbess who is caught with a man's pants on her head instead of her veil, write about applying double standards. Use both religious and political examples from the modern world as other examples in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)