|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
2. What happens to Marato on board a ship?
3. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
4. How does Monna Lisetta respond to the idea that the Angel Gabriel wants her?
5. Because of her vanity, what does Monna Lisetta do that soon allows all of Venice to know about her affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tancredi discover the affair between Ghismunda and Guiscardo?
2. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
3. What do the brothers think when they hear Ciappelletto's confession?
4. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
5. What does Alibech learn from Rustico?
6. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
7. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
8. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
9. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
10. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Sexuality in THE DECAMERON. Select three examples of sexual behavior related in the tales told in THE DECAMERON. Discuss the manner in which these are presented made quite clear without going into graphic detail.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Man's Desire to Return from the Dead. In your essay point out that one reason for returning from the dead is to tell the living what it is like on the other side. Compare the pact made by Tingoccio Mini and Meuccio di Tura with the Twentieth Century magician, Harry Houdini who made a similar promise. Conclude with the fact that there is no evidence that anyone has ever succeeded in this return.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as a Forerunner to Novels with Sexual Themes. First discuss the largely sexual nature of THE DECAMERON. Then compare the work to Henry Fielding's TOM JONES, Daniel Defoe's MOLL FLANDERS, and Henry Miller's TROPIC OF CANCER.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)