Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
2. Who is Alatiel?
3. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
4. What does Alibech find surprising?
5. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that returns Alibech to her village?
2. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
3. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
4. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
5. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
6. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
7. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
8. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
9. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
10. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Story I Most Enjoyed in THE DECAMERON. First summarize the story you liked best and then explain in detail why that particular story caught your fancy. Be sure to mention the literary qualities of the story that made it stand out in your mind.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Man's Desire to Return from the Dead. In your essay point out that one reason for returning from the dead is to tell the living what it is like on the other side. Compare the pact made by Tingoccio Mini and Meuccio di Tura with the Twentieth Century magician, Harry Houdini who made a similar promise. Conclude with the fact that there is no evidence that anyone has ever succeeded in this return.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)