Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
2. Who is Alatiel?
3. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
4. What does Alibech find surprising?
5. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that returns Alibech to her village?
2. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
3. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
4. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
5. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
6. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
7. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
8. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
9. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
10. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How People Change Over Time. Begin by summarizing the tale of Tedaldo who leaves Florence after a quarrel with his mistress and later returns as a pilgrim and is not recognized by anyone who once knew him. Go to a discussion of how people not seen for a long time change physically, mentally, and emotionally. If possible use an example from your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why THE DECAMERON Should Be Required Reading. In your essay include the historic value of the book, the impact the book has had on modern novels, and the classic nature of the work. Discuss THE DECAMERON as a means of understanding the period of the Black Death in Europe and the attitude of living for today because tomorrow we may die. Conclude with why you think a reader is enriched by reading this particular work.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)