|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
2. Where does Alibech sleep?
3. How does Isabetta learn of Lorenzo's fate?
4. What do the women tell Alibech?
5. What name does Alberto give Monna Lisetta that indicates how bright she is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ghismunda end her life?
2. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
3. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
4. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
5. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
6. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
7. What does Alibech learn from Rustico?
8. What do the brothers think when they hear Ciappelletto's confession?
9. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
10. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Value of Quick Thinking. Find at least two examples of how a person's quick thinking in THE DECAMERON averted a serious complication. Discuss the ability to think quickly in compromising situations and give an example or two of how it might work in a situation you set up for purposes of this essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Views of the Clergy in THE DECAMERON. Use the arguments put forth by Tedaldo in the Seventh Tale to point out the various excesses the general public observed in the behavior of the clergy.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)