Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
2. Who is Alatiel?
3. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
4. What does Alibech find surprising?
5. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that returns Alibech to her village?
2. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
3. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
4. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
5. How are Caterina and Ricciardo found out?
6. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
7. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
8. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
9. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
10. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why Story Telling is Becoming a Lost Art. Begin with the modern media today that involves being spoon fed stories in visual and interactive formats. Discuss the fact that people no longer sit together and relate tales they have made up or have heard. Speculate how different the situation of THE DECAMERON would have been if all the people in the group had iPods and PCs.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)