|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abraham returns, what does he want to do that surprises Giannotto?
2. What do the brothers do to Isabetta's lover?
3. What results after Monna Lisetta believes Alberto's story and agrees to comply?
4. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
5. What does Alibech find surprising?
Short Essay Questions
1. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
2. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
3. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
4. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
5. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
6. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
7. After becoming a widow shortly after her marriage, what does Ghismunda see her father, Tancredi, has no plans of doing?
8. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
9. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
10. Describe the happy occasion for Alatiel as she prepares to get married.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Medical Pandemics Through the Ages. In your essay describe the Black Death that swept Europe in the Middle Ages and why it lasted so long. Then discuss pandemics of more modern times such as polio and various virulent strains of the flu. Conclude with how these plagues affect the human psyche.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, the device Boccaccio uses in the character of Dioneo tell the tenth tale every evening. Discuss this literary device in terms of transition and keeping the story flowing in the form of the novel. Conclude with the element of suspense that this device brings to THE DECAMERON making the reader want to read on.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, THE DECAMERON as an Early Example of the Modern Novel. In your essay point out how THE DECAMERON predates Chaucer's CANTERBURY TALES which is often credited as being the first modern novel. Discuss the format of THE DECAMERON and how you think it qualifies as a novel.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)