|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
2. What does Abraham observe among the church leaders in Rome?
3. What results from Ser Ciappelletto's confession?
4. What does Alibech find surprising?
5. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alatiel eventually end up with the king of Algarve?
2. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
3. How does Brother Alberto take advantage of Lisetta whom he calls Lady Halfwit?
4. What is the ambition of Alibech and where does it take her?
5. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
6. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
7. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
8. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
9. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
10. What eventually transpires between Masetto and one of the nuns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Women as the Weaker Sex in THE DECAMERON. Use at least three different examples of how women are seen as inferior to men and more susceptible to moral transgression than men as seen in the book. Discuss how this idea not only plays out in the tales but also in the acceptance of the women gathered in the group of story tellers.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Attitudes About the Morality of the Clergy. In your essay point out from THE DECAMERON how it is assumed that many if not most of the clergy are morally remiss in having affairs. Compare this to modern times when clergy have been brought down because of their moral indiscretions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, Why THE DECAMERON Should Be Required Reading. In your essay include the historic value of the book, the impact the book has had on modern novels, and the classic nature of the work. Discuss THE DECAMERON as a means of understanding the period of the Black Death in Europe and the attitude of living for today because tomorrow we may die. Conclude with why you think a reader is enriched by reading this particular work.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)