|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ciappelletto's confession later hoodwink the church?
2. What results after Monna Lisetta believes Alberto's story and agrees to comply?
3. Why does Abraham conclude that the Christian religion is strong and will last?
4. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
5. Who is the next rival for the favor of Alatiel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andreuccio turn the tales on the two robbers?
2. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
3. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
4. After becoming a widow shortly after her marriage, what does Ghismunda see her father, Tancredi, has no plans of doing?
5. How does Tancredi discover the affair between Ghismunda and Guiscardo?
6. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
7. What ultimately happens after Ciappelletto dies?
8. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
9. What are the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Lorenzo, the lover of Isabetta?
10. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, How Bernie Madoff Compares with Brother Onion. Using Brother Onion's feather from the wing of Gabriel and charcoal from the burning of St. Lorenzo, compare those things with Madoff's use of his connections and expertise on Wall Street to dupe people into investing money that he had no intention of returning. Define how people who want to believe in something are easily led.
Essay Topic 2
Write a story of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages in the style of THE DECAMERON. This is a creative writing assignment where you are required to tell a story using the euphemistic language of THE DECAMERON and one of the themes such as unexpected happy endings or tragic endings.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten, double spaced pages on the topic, The Absurdity of Applying Double Standards. Using the tale of the abbess who is caught with a man's pants on her head instead of her veil, write about applying double standards. Use both religious and political examples from the modern world as other examples in your essay.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)