|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Peronella tell her lover to hide?
(a) in the closet.
(b) under the bed.
(c) behind the door.
(d) in a barrel.
2. What retort does the wayward nun have for the abbess?
(a) that her lover is the brother of the abbess' lover.
(b) that she is also guilty and wears a man's pants on her head.
(c) that the abbess wears a table cloth on her head.
(d) that the abbess just does not know what she has missed.
3. What does Monna Giovanna determine to do?
(a) ask Frederico for his falcon.
(b) ask Frederico to marry her.
(c) invite Frederico to dinner.
(d) take her son back to the city.
4. How does he explain the charcoal?
(a) that it is a relic from the destruction of Jerusalem.
(b) that it is a relic from a fire where Jesus warmed his hands.
(c) that it is a relic of the destruction of Sodom.
(d) that it is a relic of St. Lorenzo who was burned at the stake.
5. What story does Gianni tell to excuse himself from taking Pietro's bed that night?
(a) he claims to have a spell that turns himself into a horse.
(b) he claims to have a spell to turn hay into a bed.
(c) he claims to be able to sleep while on his mare.
(d) he claims to know a spell that will turn his mare into a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caterina say she wants to hear at night?
2. What does Gianni have the wife do before casting his spell?
3. As they travel along, what do Rabatta and Bondone begin to do?
4. What promise does Brother Onion make to the villagers this time?
5. What do Messer Forese da Rabatta and Giotto di Bondone have in common with the Baronci family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do several nuns come to the Abbess' door in the middle of the night?
2. What plan does Caterina devise in order to be with Ricciardo?
3. What is the reply that Bondone gives Rabatta after his insult?
4. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
5. When two of Brother Onion's friends see him in the village proclaiming he will show a feather from the angel Gabriel, what do they plan to do?
6. How does the affair between Caterina and Ricciardo work itself out?
7. How does the nun know that the abbess cannot punish her?
8. How does Brother Onion recover when he takes the charcoal out of the box instead of the feather?
9. Besides his homely countenance, describe what Messer Forese da Rabatta is noted for.
10. Explain how Peronella gets away with having a lover.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)