|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the monk take a woman?
(a) to her bedroom.
(b) to a garden.
(c) to an inn.
(d) to his cell.
2. Who discovers what the monk is doing?
(a) the woman's husband.
(b) the gardener.
(c) the other monks in the monastery.
(d) the abbot of the monastery.
3. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
(a) the Prince of Wales who recognizes her.
(b) the sultan of Brunei who recognizes her.
(c) the King of Cyprus who recognizes her.
(d) the King of France who recognizes her.
4. What does the foolish Alibech think she is doing when she allows the monk to have his way with her?
(a) taking the lust out of Rustico's devil.
(b) keeping the devil from leaving Rustico's cell.
(c) putting Rustico's devil into her hell.
(d) hiding the devil from Rustico's hell.
5. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the group by popular vote.
(b) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
(c) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
(d) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Alberto tell Monna Lisetta?
2. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
3. How does Ciappelletto's confession later hoodwink the church?
4. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
5. How can Berto so easily convince people that he has taken on the vows of poverty and chastity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
2. What is the result of Frederigo's attempts to impress Monna Giovanna?
3. Why does Andreuccio di Pietro travel to Naples?
4. How does Andreuccio become the victim of a scam in Naples?
5. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
6. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
7. What happens that Don Gianni declares has broken the spell to change Pietro's wife into a mare?
8. Although Frederigo would give anything to Monna Giovanna, why is it impossible for him to give her the falcon?
9. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
10. Why have the young people of the novel left Florence and gone into the country?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)