|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the abbot never punish the monk?
(a) because he had the woman as well.
(b) because the monk caught him with a boy.
(c) because he could not prove what the monk had done.
(d) because he feared the community would reject the monastery.
2. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
(a) use sign language.
(b) teach him to write.
(c) peek at him in his bath.
(d) poke fun at him.
3. How does Ciappelletto's confession later hoodwink the church?
(a) Ciappelletto promises a donation he never makes.
(b) Ciappelletto becomes a model for all businessmen.
(c) Ciappelletto is buried in the Vatican.
(d) Ciappelletto becomes a martyr and is later canonized.
4. Where does the first holy man send Alibech?
(a) to a married holy man who will look on Alibech as a daughter.
(b) to a blind holy man who will not be tempted by her beauty.
(c) to a holy man who is paralyzed from the waist down.
(d) to a holy man who is supposedly more learned than the first.
5. Because of her vanity, what does Monna Lisetta do that soon allows all of Venice to know about her affair?
(a) she has an artist paint a picture of her and Gabriel.
(b) she forgets to draw her drapes.
(c) she tells another priest at confession.
(d) she tells a neighbor about Gabriel's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
2. Tiring of Monna Lisetta's vain confessions, what does Brother Alberto do?
3. Who does Pietro take up with after he loses all his money and clothes?
4. Who discovers what the monk is doing?
5. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
2. How dies Alatiel end up on the island of Majorca?
3. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
4. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
5. What happens when the secret of Masetto's affair with the nun gets out?
6. How does Ciappelletto become aware of the brothers' situation?
7. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
8. What means of entertainment do the young people devise?
9. How does Tancredi discover the affair between Ghismunda and Guiscardo?
10. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)