|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the three holy laws Saladin challenges Melchisedech to name as the one with the most truths?
(a) the law of the church, the state, or the royalty.
(b) the law of the Christians, the Jews, or the Hindus.
(c) the law of the Jews, Saracens, or Christians.
(d) the law of Nature, of the Gods, or the Professors.
2. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
(a) he is wanted for murder.
(b) he wants to find out what monks do in their cells.
(c) he plans to steal gold from the church.
(d) he is such a liar that no one will have dealings with him.
3. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
(a) the tutor who comes to give her lessons.
(b) the man who tends the family gardens.
(c) the man who grooms her brothers' horses.
(d) Lorenzo, the man who takes care of much of the family business.
4. Where do Constanza and Alatiel go after they leave Athens?
5. Why do the nuns keep Masetto in the convent for many years?
(a) he speaks and they think God has worked a miracle.
(b) he knows too much about their activities.
(c) he agrees to stay if they stop wanting sex.
(d) he fathers children the nuns say are orphans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
2. Who comes to the aid of the duke when war is proclaimed?
3. What does Saladin plan to do when he visits Melchisedech?
4. After Ghismunda chooses Guiscardo as her lover, what complicates their relationship?
5. How does Isabetta learn of Lorenzo's fate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the handsome Masetto manage to become the gardener for a convent of eight nuns and an abbess?
2. Why is it so easy for Berto della Massa to take on the persona of Brother Alberto, a minor friar?
3. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
4. What do the village women tell Alibech after she explains how she put the devil back into hell with Rustico.
5. Why have the young people of the novel left Florence and gone into the country?
6. What bothers Brother Alberto about one of the women who comes to him for confession?
7. What happens to Alatiel after she is taken to safety?
8. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
9. Why does Isabetta cry over a pot of basil?
10. How does Masetto come to the attention of the abbess?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)