|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Tingoccio dies, what does he do that he had promised Meuccio in life?
(a) return to light candles in the church.
(b) return to tell what it is like after death.
(c) show himself to the evil monk in the village.
(d) haunt Meuccio's wife.
2. What do the villagers know of the Brother from St. Anthony's who comes once a year?
(a) nothing except his words.
(b) what they have heard from travelers.
(c) his reputation as a great story teller.
(d) his life story since he was born in their village.
3. Where does Tingoccio tell Meuccio he now is?
(a) in Purgatory explaining away his past sins.
(b) in Heaven eating ambrosia with the angels.
(c) in Hell for having an affair.
(d) in limbo waiting for his judgment.
4. How do Gualtieri and his wife get back together?
(a) the marquis orders Gualtieri to take her back.
(b) his children plead on their mother's behalf.
(c) she disguises herself and he takes her as a lover.
(d) he honors her after she passes all his tests.
5. When Gualtieri finally marries, what does he decide to do?
(a) share his wife with his cousin.
(b) test his wife to see if she is faithful.
(c) kill his wife and marry a young girl.
(d) lock his wife away in a tower.
6. What promise does Brother Onion make to the villagers this time?
(a) to show them a feather from the wings of Gabriel.
(b) to show them how to walk on water.
(c) to show them a relic of the cross.
(d) to show them frakincense and myrrh.
7. What does Gianni have the wife do before casting his spell?
(a) she has to put a blindfold on her husband.
(b) she has to remove her clothes and get down on all fours.
(c) she has to whinny like a mare.
(d) she has to remove her clothes and prance around the room.
8. What happens when Ricciardo learns of Caterina's love for him?
(a) Ricciardo asks for her hand in marriage.
(b) Caterina and Ricciardo begin an affair.
(c) Caterina plays hard to get.
(d) Caterina and Ricciardo elope to Venice.
9. As they travel along, what do Rabatta and Bondone begin to do?
(a) insult each other about their looks.
(b) discuss their respective businesses.
(c) play a guessing game.
(d) sing songs to keep up their courage.
10. What do the other nuns expect the abbess to do to the nun with a lover?
(a) send her to her village.
(b) give her a vacation.
(c) forgive her.
(d) punish her.
11. What does Caterina say she wants to hear at night?
(a) the crickets.
(b) the nightingale.
(c) the breeze in the trees.
(d) the troubadors.
12. For what crime does Tingoccio tell Meuccio that there is no real punishment?
(a) for lusting after beautiful girls.
(b) for beating his wife.
(c) for having the affair with the mother of his godson.
(d) for stealing loaves of bread.
13. After a night of making love, what happens to the couple?
(a) they slip back into the house.
(b) they wait until Caterina's father leaves the house.
(c) they cannot find their clothes.
(d) they fall asleep.
14. What does the abbess intend to do when she confronts the wayward nun?
(a) send her and everyone back to bed.
(b) give her a stern lecture.
(c) console her.
(d) take her confession.
15. What causes Brother Onion's servant to leave his post?
(a) a pretty maid.
(b) a game of dice.
(c) a parade in the street.
(d) the smell of cooking meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Calandrino know that he no longer has magic powers?
2. What do the simple-minded Pietro and his wife want Don Gianni to do?
3. What do the men leave in Brother Onion's room?
4. What does Monna Giovanna discover after dinner?
5. How does he explain the charcoal?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)