|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Brother from St. Anthony's monastery travel each year to a nearby village?
(a) to take confessions.
(b) to collect alms.
(c) to give alms.
(d) to feed the poor.
2. Where do the two men who played the trick go the next day?
(a) to wait up in a tree.
(b) to wait outside the church.
(c) to hear Brother Onion's sermon.
(d) to hide in the confessional.
3. What does Frederico, now a poor man, determine to do when Monna Giovanna comes calling?
(a) cook the falcon to serve her for dinner.
(b) hide from her.
(c) declare his love for her.
(d) order her off his property.
4. Where does Tingoccio tell Meuccio he now is?
(a) in Purgatory explaining away his past sins.
(b) in Heaven eating ambrosia with the angels.
(c) in Hell for having an affair.
(d) in limbo waiting for his judgment.
5. What happens when the two friends tell Brother Onion what they had done?
(a) they all have a good laugh.
(b) Brother Onion gives them absolution.
(c) Brother Onion kicks both of them.
(d) they agree that everything worked out well.
6. For what crime does Tingoccio tell Meuccio that there is no real punishment?
(a) for having the affair with the mother of his godson.
(b) for lusting after beautiful girls.
(c) for stealing loaves of bread.
(d) for beating his wife.
7. What happens when Ricciardo learns of Caterina's love for him?
(a) Caterina and Ricciardo elope to Venice.
(b) Caterina plays hard to get.
(c) Ricciardo asks for her hand in marriage.
(d) Caterina and Ricciardo begin an affair.
8. Who are Don Gianni di Barolo and Pietro da Tresanti?
(a) businessmen who deal in trading goods.
(b) bankers who extort money from the poor.
(d) competitors for the same lover.
9. With whom does Caterina fall in love?
(a) Juan Carlos da Vinci, a cousin of Lizio di Valbona.
(b) Berto della Massa, a notorious liar.
(c) Ricciardo Manardi da Brettinoro, an enemy of Lizio di Valbona.
(d) Ricciardo Manardi da Brettinoro, a friend of Lizio di Valbona.
10. How does he explain the charcoal?
(a) that it is a relic from a fire where Jesus warmed his hands.
(b) that it is a relic of St. Lorenzo who was burned at the stake.
(c) that it is a relic of the destruction of Sodom.
(d) that it is a relic from the destruction of Jerusalem.
11. Why does Frederigo leave the city for his farm?
(a) it is cheaper to live there.
(b) he will not have to see Monna Giovanna.
(c) it is a better place for his falcon.
(d) the bill collectors will not find him there.
12. What friendship does Monna Giovanna's son strike up in the country?
(a) with Giovanni.
(b) with Falco.
(c) with Frederico.
(d) with Fernando.
13. Why has Peronella's husband come home in the middle of the day?
(a) to sell the barrel that takes up room in their house.
(b) to spend more time with his wife.
(c) to look for some tools he forgot that morning.
(d) to get something to eat.
14. After a night of making love, what happens to the couple?
(a) they fall asleep.
(b) they cannot find their clothes.
(c) they wait until Caterina's father leaves the house.
(d) they slip back into the house.
15. While Peronella's husband is inside cleaning the barrel, what is Peronella doing?
(a) bending over the barrel to supervise.
(b) rushing her lover out of the house.
(c) scolding her husband for leaving work.
(d) trying to think where her lover will get the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Gianni tell to excuse himself from taking Pietro's bed that night?
2. What do Messer Forese da Rabatta and Giotto di Bondone have in common with the Baronci family?
3. What does the abbess intend to do when she confronts the wayward nun?
4. What is the avocation of Gualtieri, the son of a wealthy marquis in Saluzzo?
5. What is the passion of Frederigo, a man of noble birth who squanders his fortune for the love of Monna Giovanna?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)