|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Peronella's husband is inside cleaning the barrel, what is Peronella doing?
(a) scolding her husband for leaving work.
(b) bending over the barrel to supervise.
(c) rushing her lover out of the house.
(d) trying to think where her lover will get the money.
2. Why has Peronella's husband come home in the middle of the day?
(a) to sell the barrel that takes up room in their house.
(b) to look for some tools he forgot that morning.
(c) to get something to eat.
(d) to spend more time with his wife.
3. What is Peronella's occupation?
(a) a stone mason.
(b) an innkeeper.
(c) a seamstress.
(d) a spinner of wool.
4. What retort does the wayward nun have for the abbess?
(a) that the abbess wears a table cloth on her head.
(b) that she is also guilty and wears a man's pants on her head.
(c) that the abbess just does not know what she has missed.
(d) that her lover is the brother of the abbess' lover.
5. Why do the villagers look forward to the arrival of the monk from St. Anthony's monastery?
(a) they like to help the monks.
(b) they have a feast when he comes.
(c) they like to hear his stories.
(d) they know he brings gifts.
6. Who are Calandrino, Bruno and Buffalmacco?
(a) three wizards to look for the magic heliotrope.
(b) three friends who rob travelers.
(c) three simpletons who work as painters.
(d) three monks who learn alchemy.
7. What do Messer Forese da Rabatta and Giotto di Bondone have in common with the Baronci family?
(a) they are Napalitans.
(b) they are ugly.
(c) they are Romans.
(d) they are religious.
8. With whom does Tingoccio have an affair?
(a) the wife of his nearest neighbor.
(b) Meuccio's daughter.
(c) Meuccio's wife.
(d) the woman who is the mother of Tingoccio's godson.
9. For what crime does Tingoccio tell Meuccio that there is no real punishment?
(a) for lusting after beautiful girls.
(b) for having the affair with the mother of his godson.
(c) for beating his wife.
(d) for stealing loaves of bread.
10. What warning does Don Gianni give the couple before he casts his spell?
(a) if they look the spell will be broken.
(b) if they write anything the spell will be broken.
(c) if they do not comply the spell will be broken.
(d) if they speak, the spell will be broken.
11. What does Gianni have the wife do before casting his spell?
(a) she has to remove her clothes and prance around the room.
(b) she has to remove her clothes and get down on all fours.
(c) she has to whinny like a mare.
(d) she has to put a blindfold on her husband.
12. What suddenly happens to Monna Giovanna's son?
(a) he becomes ill.
(b) he falls in love with a farm girl.
(c) he runs away to the city.
(d) he commits a crime.
13. What is Ricciardo's plan after Caterina makes her bed on the balcony?
(a) to climb the wall and join her in her bed.
(b) to get to the balcony through a window.
(c) to sing love songs to her beneath the balcony.
(d) to watch her in the moonlight.
14. What is the occupation of the man Peronella marries?
(a) a blacksmith.
(b) a wood cutter.
(c) a stone mason.
(d) a carpenter.
15. Why is the marquis displeased with his son?
(a) Gualtieri has a lover who is married.
(b) Gualtieri has a desire to become a friar.
(c) Gualtieri has shown no interest in marriage.
(d) Gualtieri has a preference for men.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the wayward nun respond to the abbess' reprimand?
2. What is the name of the Brother from the monastery of St. Anthony that is the same as the name of a vegetable?
3. What do the men leave in Brother Onion's room?
4. After a night of making love, what happens to the couple?
5. How does he explain the charcoal?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)