|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Calandrino, Bruno and Buffalmacco?
(a) three wizards to look for the magic heliotrope.
(b) three friends who rob travelers.
(c) three simpletons who work as painters.
(d) three monks who learn alchemy.
2. When the weather does not change, what do Rabatta and Bondone decide to do?
(a) continue their trek.
(b) rent a carriage.
(c) stay the night.
(d) go back the way they came.
3. How does Frederigo waste his fortune?
(a) on travel to exotic places to impress Monna Giovanna.
(b) on jewels and gifts to impress Monna Giovanna.
(c) on elaborate parties to impress Monna Giovanna.
(d) on jousts and other things to impress Monna Giovanna.
4. With whom does Tingoccio have an affair?
(a) Meuccio's daughter.
(b) the wife of his nearest neighbor.
(c) Meuccio's wife.
(d) the woman who is the mother of Tingoccio's godson.
5. What euphemism does the story teller use for "the thing you are ashamed to mention among men?"
(a) the flower.
(b) the branch.
(c) the bower.
(d) the nightingale.
6. After the death of her husband, where does Monna Giovanna take her son?
(a) to the south of Italy.
(b) to the country near Frederigo's farm.
(c) to live with his grandfather.
(d) on an extended trip.
7. How does Peronella explain the man who is in the barrel?
(a) that he is a musician looking for a barrel drum.
(b) that he is a buyer who is examining the barrel.
(c) that he is a carpenter repairing the barrel.
(d) that he is a magician looking for a trick barrel.
8. How does Rabatta insult Bondone?
(a) by saying it is good that he is not an artist's model.
(b) by saying a look at him and no one would guess he is an artist.
(c) by saying that he should paint his face to hide the ugly.
(d) by saying he is so ugly a mirror breaks when he looks in.
9. What happens when Ricciardo learns of Caterina's love for him?
(a) Caterina and Ricciardo begin an affair.
(b) Caterina and Ricciardo elope to Venice.
(c) Caterina plays hard to get.
(d) Ricciardo asks for her hand in marriage.
10. On the road, how do Rabatta and Bondone dress?
(a) as traveling jesters.
(b) as knights.
(c) as magistrates.
(d) as penniless peasants.
11. What warning does Don Gianni give the couple before he casts his spell?
(a) if they write anything the spell will be broken.
(b) if they do not comply the spell will be broken.
(c) if they look the spell will be broken.
(d) if they speak, the spell will be broken.
12. What does Frederico, now a poor man, determine to do when Monna Giovanna comes calling?
(a) cook the falcon to serve her for dinner.
(b) declare his love for her.
(c) order her off his property.
(d) hide from her.
13. After a night of making love, what happens to the couple?
(a) they fall asleep.
(b) they wait until Caterina's father leaves the house.
(c) they slip back into the house.
(d) they cannot find their clothes.
14. For what crime does Tingoccio tell Meuccio that there is no real punishment?
(a) for having the affair with the mother of his godson.
(b) for stealing loaves of bread.
(c) for lusting after beautiful girls.
(d) for beating his wife.
15. What happens when Brother Onion reaches into the box supposedly containing Gabriel's feather?
(a) he pulls out a piece of charcoal.
(b) he falls to pieces.
(c) he becomes frightened.
(d) he faints dead away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the passion of Frederigo, a man of noble birth who squanders his fortune for the love of Monna Giovanna?
2. What do the other nuns expect the abbess to do to the nun with a lover?
3. How does he explain the charcoal?
4. What promise does Brother Onion make to the villagers this time?
5. What poses a problem for the two men who plan to play a trick on Brother Onion?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)