|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the death of her husband, where does Monna Giovanna take her son?
(a) to live with his grandfather.
(b) on an extended trip.
(c) to the country near Frederigo's farm.
(d) to the south of Italy.
2. What retort does the wayward nun have for the abbess?
(a) that she is also guilty and wears a man's pants on her head.
(b) that the abbess just does not know what she has missed.
(c) that her lover is the brother of the abbess' lover.
(d) that the abbess wears a table cloth on her head.
3. After Tingoccio dies, what does he do that he had promised Meuccio in life?
(a) haunt Meuccio's wife.
(b) show himself to the evil monk in the village.
(c) return to light candles in the church.
(d) return to tell what it is like after death.
4. When the weather does not change, what do Rabatta and Bondone decide to do?
(a) continue their trek.
(b) stay the night.
(c) rent a carriage.
(d) go back the way they came.
5. Why does the Brother from St. Anthony's monastery travel each year to a nearby village?
(a) to feed the poor.
(b) to collect alms.
(c) to give alms.
(d) to take confessions.
6. What story does Gianni tell to excuse himself from taking Pietro's bed that night?
(a) he claims to be able to sleep while on his mare.
(b) he claims to have a spell that turns himself into a horse.
(c) he claims to have a spell to turn hay into a bed.
(d) he claims to know a spell that will turn his mare into a woman.
7. What does Monna Giovanna's son want to possess?
(a) Frederico's horse.
(b) Frederico's farm.
(c) Frederico's falcon.
(d) Frederico's daughter.
8. What does Don Gianni di Barolo have that shows his wealth?
(a) a donkey to transport his goods.
(b) a servant to transport his goods.
(c) a wagon to transport his goods.
(d) a mare to transport his goods.
9. What do Messer Forese da Rabatta and Giotto di Bondone have in common with the Baronci family?
(a) they are Romans.
(b) they are religious.
(c) they are Napalitans.
(d) they are ugly.
10. When Gualtieri finally marries, what does he decide to do?
(a) share his wife with his cousin.
(b) kill his wife and marry a young girl.
(c) lock his wife away in a tower.
(d) test his wife to see if she is faithful.
11. How does he explain the charcoal?
(a) that it is a relic from a fire where Jesus warmed his hands.
(b) that it is a relic of the destruction of Sodom.
(c) that it is a relic from the destruction of Jerusalem.
(d) that it is a relic of St. Lorenzo who was burned at the stake.
12. What is the transgression of the abbess who is told in the middle of the night about a nun who has been caught with her lover?
(a) the abbess worships the Devil.
(b) the abbess also has a lover.
(c) the abbess is a vicious gossip.
(d) the abbess takes opium.
13. Why is the marquis displeased with his son?
(a) Gualtieri has a lover who is married.
(b) Gualtieri has shown no interest in marriage.
(c) Gualtieri has a preference for men.
(d) Gualtieri has a desire to become a friar.
14. On the road, how do Rabatta and Bondone dress?
(a) as penniless peasants.
(b) as traveling jesters.
(c) as magistrates.
(d) as knights.
15. How are Peronella and her lover surprised one afternoon?
(a) Peronella's husband comes home unexpectedly.
(b) Peronella's husband sends his friend to see her.
(c) Peronella's husband has an accident at work.
(d) Peronella's husband comes to spy on her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the passion of Frederigo, a man of noble birth who squanders his fortune for the love of Monna Giovanna?
2. What do two men who know Brother Onion well suspect?
3. When Don Gianni visit the house of the poor Pietro da Tresanti, what is the situation?
4. What warning does Don Gianni give the couple before he casts his spell?
5. What happens when the two friends tell Brother Onion what they had done?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)