|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Bondone's profession?
(a) he is a prominent merchant.
(b) he is a noted artist.
(c) he is a knight in the court.
(d) he is a noted composer.
2. What is the transgression of the abbess who is told in the middle of the night about a nun who has been caught with her lover?
(a) the abbess takes opium.
(b) the abbess worships the Devil.
(c) the abbess also has a lover.
(d) the abbess is a vicious gossip.
3. What suddenly happens to Monna Giovanna's son?
(a) he commits a crime.
(b) he runs away to the city.
(c) he becomes ill.
(d) he falls in love with a farm girl.
4. What is Ricciardo's plan after Caterina makes her bed on the balcony?
(a) to watch her in the moonlight.
(b) to get to the balcony through a window.
(c) to sing love songs to her beneath the balcony.
(d) to climb the wall and join her in her bed.
5. How do Gualtieri and his wife get back together?
(a) he honors her after she passes all his tests.
(b) the marquis orders Gualtieri to take her back.
(c) she disguises herself and he takes her as a lover.
(d) his children plead on their mother's behalf.
6. What is Peronella's occupation?
(a) a spinner of wool.
(b) a stone mason.
(c) a seamstress.
(d) an innkeeper.
7. What friendship does Monna Giovanna's son strike up in the country?
(a) with Giovanni.
(b) with Fernando.
(c) with Frederico.
(d) with Falco.
8. What happens when the two friends tell Brother Onion what they had done?
(a) Brother Onion kicks both of them.
(b) Brother Onion gives them absolution.
(c) they all have a good laugh.
(d) they agree that everything worked out well.
9. At what point does Pietro speak and break the spell?
(a) when he asks Gianni to repeat placing the tail.
(b) when he objects to where Gianni places the tail on his wife.
(c) when he asks to place the tail on his wife himself.
(d) when he asks his wife if she now feels like a mare.
10. With whom does Caterina fall in love?
(a) Ricciardo Manardi da Brettinoro, a friend of Lizio di Valbona.
(b) Berto della Massa, a notorious liar.
(c) Juan Carlos da Vinci, a cousin of Lizio di Valbona.
(d) Ricciardo Manardi da Brettinoro, an enemy of Lizio di Valbona.
11. What does Caterina beg her parents to allow her to do?
(a) to sleep in another part of the house.
(b) to sleep under an arbor in the garden.
(c) to sleep in a room by herself.
(d) to sleep on the balcony outside her bedroom.
12. What is the name of the Brother from the monastery of St. Anthony that is the same as the name of a vegetable?
(a) Brother Kale.
(b) Brother Carrot.
(c) Brother Endive.
(d) Brother Onion.
13. What euphemism does the story teller use for "the thing you are ashamed to mention among men?"
(a) the branch.
(b) the nightingale.
(c) the flower.
(d) the bower.
14. How does Frederigo waste his fortune?
(a) on elaborate parties to impress Monna Giovanna.
(b) on travel to exotic places to impress Monna Giovanna.
(c) on jewels and gifts to impress Monna Giovanna.
(d) on jousts and other things to impress Monna Giovanna.
15. For what crime does Tingoccio tell Meuccio that there is no real punishment?
(a) for having the affair with the mother of his godson.
(b) for lusting after beautiful girls.
(c) for beating his wife.
(d) for stealing loaves of bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who discovers the two lovers the next morning in their compromising situation?
2. What does Bondone say people would think after looking at Rabatta?
3. When does Peronella's lover come to visit her?
4. What retort does the wayward nun have for the abbess?
5. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic stones, how do his friends play a trick on him?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)