|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Ricciardo learns of Caterina's love for him?
(a) Ricciardo asks for her hand in marriage.
(b) Caterina plays hard to get.
(c) Caterina and Ricciardo begin an affair.
(d) Caterina and Ricciardo elope to Venice.
2. What story does Gianni tell to excuse himself from taking Pietro's bed that night?
(a) he claims to know a spell that will turn his mare into a woman.
(b) he claims to have a spell to turn hay into a bed.
(c) he claims to have a spell that turns himself into a horse.
(d) he claims to be able to sleep while on his mare.
3. How does Rabatta insult Bondone?
(a) by saying it is good that he is not an artist's model.
(b) by saying a look at him and no one would guess he is an artist.
(c) by saying that he should paint his face to hide the ugly.
(d) by saying he is so ugly a mirror breaks when he looks in.
4. When does Peronella's lover come to visit her?
(a) at night after her husband falls asleep.
(b) on the days her husband goes to the next village.
(c) in the daytime when her husband is at work.
(d) when Peronella gives sleeping powder to her husband.
5. What do Messer Forese da Rabatta and Giotto di Bondone have in common with the Baronci family?
(a) they are Romans.
(b) they are religious.
(c) they are Napalitans.
(d) they are ugly.
6. When the weather does not change, what do Rabatta and Bondone decide to do?
(a) continue their trek.
(b) stay the night.
(c) rent a carriage.
(d) go back the way they came.
7. With whom does Caterina fall in love?
(a) Ricciardo Manardi da Brettinoro, a friend of Lizio di Valbona.
(b) Ricciardo Manardi da Brettinoro, an enemy of Lizio di Valbona.
(c) Juan Carlos da Vinci, a cousin of Lizio di Valbona.
(d) Berto della Massa, a notorious liar.
8. What reason does Caterina give for wanting to change her sleeping arrangements?
(a) she says she likes to sleep under the stars.
(b) she says the fresh night air is good for her.
(c) she says it is too hot in her bed and she cannot sleep.
(d) she says she is all grown up now.
9. What is the relationship between Tingoccio Mini and Meuccio di Tura?
(a) they are cousins.
(b) they are mortal enemies.
(c) they are brothers-in-law.
(d) they are best friends.
10. With whom does Tingoccio have an affair?
(a) Meuccio's daughter.
(b) the woman who is the mother of Tingoccio's godson.
(c) Meuccio's wife.
(d) the wife of his nearest neighbor.
11. Who is the somewhat spoiled Caterina?
(a) the daughter of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight.
(b) the cousin of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight.
(c) the wife of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight.
(d) the sister of Messer Lizio di Valbona, a rich knight.
12. How does Calandrino know that he no longer has magic powers?
(a) when his wife can see him and scolds him for being late.
(b) when his wife leaves him for a lover.
(c) when his wife breaks a mirror over his head.
(d) when his wife finds the stones and throws them out.
13. What warning does Don Gianni give the couple before he casts his spell?
(a) if they look the spell will be broken.
(b) if they write anything the spell will be broken.
(c) if they do not comply the spell will be broken.
(d) if they speak, the spell will be broken.
14. What do two men who know Brother Onion well suspect?
(a) that he has run out of stories to tell.
(b) that he is going to work a miracle.
(c) that he is trying to trick the villagers.
(d) that he does not really have a feather to show.
15. What is Peronella's occupation?
(a) a seamstress.
(b) a spinner of wool.
(c) a stone mason.
(d) an innkeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Peronella's husband come home in the middle of the day?
2. What do the simple-minded Pietro and his wife want Don Gianni to do?
3. What is the transgression of the abbess who is told in the middle of the night about a nun who has been caught with her lover?
4. What is the passion of Frederigo, a man of noble birth who squanders his fortune for the love of Monna Giovanna?
5. Why does Frederigo leave the city for his farm?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)