|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What euphemism does the story teller use for "the thing you are ashamed to mention among men?"
(a) the nightingale.
(b) the flower.
(c) the bower.
(d) the branch.
2. With whom does Tingoccio have an affair?
(a) Meuccio's wife.
(b) the woman who is the mother of Tingoccio's godson.
(c) Meuccio's daughter.
(d) the wife of his nearest neighbor.
3. What does the abbess mistake for her veil in the darkness?
(a) her lover's pants.
(b) a pair of bloomers.
(c) a table cloth.
(d) the bed sheet.
4. What does the abbess intend to do when she confronts the wayward nun?
(a) give her a stern lecture.
(b) console her.
(c) send her and everyone back to bed.
(d) take her confession.
5. Where do the two men who played the trick go the next day?
(a) to wait up in a tree.
(b) to hear Brother Onion's sermon.
(c) to hide in the confessional.
(d) to wait outside the church.
6. What is the name of the Brother from the monastery of St. Anthony that is the same as the name of a vegetable?
(a) Brother Carrot.
(b) Brother Endive.
(c) Brother Onion.
(d) Brother Kale.
7. What do two men who know Brother Onion well suspect?
(a) that he has run out of stories to tell.
(b) that he is trying to trick the villagers.
(c) that he is going to work a miracle.
(d) that he does not really have a feather to show.
8. Where does Tingoccio tell Meuccio he now is?
(a) in limbo waiting for his judgment.
(b) in Purgatory explaining away his past sins.
(c) in Heaven eating ambrosia with the angels.
(d) in Hell for having an affair.
9. What do the simple-minded Pietro and his wife want Don Gianni to do?
(a) turn their donkey into a mare.
(b) cast a spell that will turn the wife into a mare.
(c) cast a spell to enlarge their house.
(d) teach them how to cast spells.
10. What is the avocation of Gualtieri, the son of a wealthy marquis in Saluzzo?
(a) he spends his days hunting and hawking.
(b) he drinks every day in the tavern.
(c) he chases all the pretty girls in the village.
(d) he paints pictures of unclothed young girls.
11. When Calandrino finds what he thinks are magic stones, how do his friends play a trick on him?
(a) they pretend that he is invisible.
(b) they pretend that he can read their minds.
(c) they pretend that he knows the future.
(d) they pretend that he has super human strength.
12. What do the villagers know of the Brother from St. Anthony's who comes once a year?
(a) nothing except his words.
(b) what they have heard from travelers.
(c) his life story since he was born in their village.
(d) his reputation as a great story teller.
13. What happens when the two friends tell Brother Onion what they had done?
(a) Brother Onion gives them absolution.
(b) Brother Onion kicks both of them.
(c) they agree that everything worked out well.
(d) they all have a good laugh.
14. What does Caterina beg her parents to allow her to do?
(a) to sleep in another part of the house.
(b) to sleep under an arbor in the garden.
(c) to sleep in a room by herself.
(d) to sleep on the balcony outside her bedroom.
15. Why does Frederigo leave the city for his farm?
(a) it is cheaper to live there.
(b) he will not have to see Monna Giovanna.
(c) it is a better place for his falcon.
(d) the bill collectors will not find him there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Monna Giovanna's son want to possess?
2. At what point does Pietro speak and break the spell?
3. What is the Baronci family of Florence noted for?
4. What is Rabatta's profession?
5. What does Caterina say she wants to hear at night?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)