|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Monna Lisetta meet Brother Alberto?
(a) she comes to Brother Alberto to confess her sins.
(b) she hears him preach in church.
(c) see meets him in the market.
(d) she is introduced by her sister.
2. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
(a) she tells them how she has been serving God.
(b) she tells them that she has a hell to hide the Devil.
(c) she tells them that she fell in love with a monk.
(d) she tells them that she met God in the desert.
3. What is the discovery of Saladin, the Sultan of Babylon?
(a) his treasury is empty.
(b) his wives are wearing old clothes.
(c) his people are giving him too much respect.
(d) he has more money than he can use.
4. Where does the first holy man send Alibech?
(a) to a married holy man who will look on Alibech as a daughter.
(b) to a holy man who is paralyzed from the waist down.
(c) to a blind holy man who will not be tempted by her beauty.
(d) to a holy man who is supposedly more learned than the first.
5. What arrangement does Alberto say is necessary for Gabriel to sleep with Monna Lisetta?
(a) Alberto will have to tie her to the bedposts.
(b) Monna Lisetta must keep her eyes closed.
(c) Alberto must be present to witness Gabriel's actions.
(d) the angel will have to use Alberto's body.
6. Why is Masetto interested in the gardening job?
(a) because he is so religious.
(b) because he is too ugly to work anywhere else.
(c) for the freedoms it allows.
(d) because he has been out of work for a long time.
7. Why do the nuns keep Masetto in the convent for many years?
(a) he fathers children the nuns say are orphans.
(b) he speaks and they think God has worked a miracle.
(c) he knows too much about their activities.
(d) he agrees to stay if they stop wanting sex.
8. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
(a) to Jerusalem.
(b) to Antioch.
(c) to Rome.
(d) to a monastery.
9. Who does Abraham observe on his trip?
(a) the laity.
(b) other Jews.
(c) the children.
(d) the clergy.
10. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
(a) the King of France who recognizes her.
(b) the King of Cyprus who recognizes her.
(c) the sultan of Brunei who recognizes her.
(d) the Prince of Wales who recognizes her.
11. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
(a) she keeps her secrets from everyone.
(b) she promises to produce a male heir.
(c) she convinces the King of Algarve that she is still a virgin.
(d) her father, the sultan, triples her dowry.
12. Who murders Pericone, Alatiel's first lover?
(a) his brother, Marato.
(b) the captain of a ship.
(c) the sultan's soldiers.
(d) his cousin, Alberto.
13. Who discovers what the monk is doing?
(a) the other monks in the monastery.
(b) the gardener.
(c) the abbot of the monastery.
(d) the woman's husband.
14. Why does the abbot never punish the monk?
(a) because he had the woman as well.
(b) because the monk caught him with a boy.
(c) because he feared the community would reject the monastery.
(d) because he could not prove what the monk had done.
15. Why does Abraham conclude that the Christian religion is strong and will last?
(a) it survives the excesses of the clergy.
(b) it accomodates Jews.
(c) it leads the way in educating the people.
(d) it has very beautiful churches.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Pietro when he stays the night at the woman's house?
2. What story does Alberto tell Monna Lisetta?
3. Who does Pietro take up with after he loses all his money and clothes?
4. What is the premise of the novel that results in rounds of story telling?
5. After Ghismunda chooses Guiscardo as her lover, what complicates their relationship?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)