|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pietro go to ply his trade?
2. Why does Nuto leave the convent where he was the gardener?
(a) the work was too difficult for him.
(b) he had an accident so he could no longer work.
(c) he got too old to tend the garden.
(d) the salary was too low and he got conflicting orders.
3. What does Abraham observe among the church leaders in Rome?
(a) great piety and devotion to Jesus and the saints.
(b) strong examples of how to live a clean life.
(c) greed, lust, lechery, and many other things that a man of God should not be a part of.
(d) great humility with vows of poverty and celibacy.
4. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
(a) Guiscardo is made to pay money for his transgression.
(b) Guiscardo is murdered and his heart cut out.
(c) Guiscardo is forced into exile.
(d) Guiscardo is sent to prison.
5. What does a monk see that ignites his temptation?
(a) a bag of gold.
(b) a beautiful woman.
(c) a perfect diamond.
(d) a large cathedral.
6. After Ghismunda chooses Guiscardo as her lover, what complicates their relationship?
(a) Guiscardo's father is Tancredi's mortal enemy.
(b) Ghismunda becomes pregnant.
(c) they must meet in secret.
(d) they have nowhere to meet.
7. What does Rustico tell Alibech she must do to serve God?
(a) to give herself to God's priest.
(b) to chastize the devil with her tongue.
(c) to sleep naked in Rustico's bed.
(d) to put the devil back into hell.
8. Who is Alatiel?
(a) the wife of the sultan of Babylon.
(b) the princess betrothed to the sultan of Babylon.
(c) the daughter of the sultan of Babylon.
(d) the favorite concubine of the sultan of Babylon.
9. What tragedy befalls Alatiel?
(a) she is betrothed to an ugly old king.
(b) she is sold by her brothers for a great price.
(c) she is captured by pirates on the high seas.
(d) she is shipwrecked off the island of Majorca.
10. Why does the first holy man send Alibech away?
(a) she asks too many questions disturbing his meditations.
(b) he tells her everything he has to tell.
(c) she is beautiful and he cannot trust himself around her.
(d) she is too stupid to learn his truths.
11. How does Isabetta learn of Lorenzo's fate?
(a) she accidentally finds his shallow grave.
(b) a witness to his murder comes to tell her.
(c) he comes to her in a dream.
(d) an angel tells her in a dream.
12. Why is Alatiel not happy with the duke after they go to Athens?
(a) he never allows her to leave the villa in Athens.
(b) he never leaves her side in Athens.
(c) he grows fat and lazy in Athens.
(d) he has a wife in Athens and keeps her as a mistress.
13. What is the discovery of Saladin, the Sultan of Babylon?
(a) his people are giving him too much respect.
(b) his wives are wearing old clothes.
(c) he has more money than he can use.
(d) his treasury is empty.
14. After the trouble at sea, what happens to the men who love Alatiel?
(a) most of them commit suicide.
(b) most of them abandon her.
(c) most of them are murdered so she can be taken.
(d) most of them sell her to other men.
15. What happens to Pietro when he stays the night at the woman's house?
(a) he is arrested by the Naples police for soliciting.
(b) he is tied up, robbed, and dumped into a canal.
(c) he ends up naked on the street and locked out of the house.
(d) he becomes ill from poison in his food.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Masetto return to his village of Lamporecchio?
2. Because of her vanity, what does Monna Lisetta do that soon allows all of Venice to know about her affair?
3. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
4. What is the premise of the novel that results in rounds of story telling?
5. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)