|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a prostitute deceive Pietro?
(a) by cliaming to be in great distress.
(b) by claiming to be a fortune teller.
(c) by claiming to be his long lost sister.
(d) by claiming to be his late brother's mistress.
2. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
(a) teach him to write.
(b) use sign language.
(c) peek at him in his bath.
(d) poke fun at him.
3. What results from Ser Ciappelletto's confession?
(a) he becomes thought of as a saint.
(b) he survives for another twenty years.
(c) he is discovered to be a liar.
(d) he is forced to give up all his wealth.
4. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
(a) for knowing many kings.
(b) for dealing in rare jewels.
(c) for finding lost treasure.
(d) for buying and selling horses.
5. What does Alibech find surprising?
(a) that serving God is so pleasurable.
(b) that Rustico's Devil keeps coming back.
(c) that using her hell does not hurt her.
(d) that the Devil cannot enter her hell very often.
6. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
(a) she tells them how she has been serving God.
(b) she tells them that she met God in the desert.
(c) she tells them that she has a hell to hide the Devil.
(d) she tells them that she fell in love with a monk.
7. What does Giannotto di Civigni want to do?
(a) convert his Jewish friend, Abraham, to Christianity.
(b) become a Jew like his friend, Abraham.
(c) go into business with his friend, Abraham.
(d) visit his friend, Abraham, in Jerusalem.
8. How can Berto so easily convince people that he has taken on the vows of poverty and chastity?
(a) because he never speaks.
(b) because no one in Vanice knows him.
(c) because he genuinely wants to change.
(d) because he is such an accomplished liar.
9. Who takes the place of the prince and seeks revenge on the duke?
(a) the prince's brother.
(b) the prince's father.
(c) the prince's son.
(d) the prince's sister.
10. Where does Ser Ciappelletto find lodging in Burgundy?
(a) with two Florentine brothers.
(b) with a needy widow.
(c) with two Franciscan friars.
(d) in an expensive inn that Musciatto pays for.
11. Why does the abbot never punish the monk?
(a) because he had the woman as well.
(b) because he could not prove what the monk had done.
(c) because the monk caught him with a boy.
(d) because he feared the community would reject the monastery.
12. When Abraham returns, what does he want to do that surprises Giannotto?
(a) he wants to reaffirm his Jewish faith.
(b) he wants to confront a rabbi.
(c) he wants to become a monk.
(d) he wants to convert to Christianity.
13. Why does Giannotto think it is so necessary to convert Abraham?
(a) he cannot be openly friends with Abraham as long as he is a Jew.
(b) unless Abraham converts to Christianity, he is sure to go to hell.
(c) he needs to have saved one soul before the year is out.
(d) unless he converts Abraham, he cannot go to heaven himself.
14. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
(b) the group by popular vote.
(c) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
(d) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
15. Who does Pietro take up with after he loses all his money and clothes?
(a) some gamblers.
(b) some grave robbers.
(c) some sorcerers.
(d) some highwaymen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
2. After Ghismunda chooses Guiscardo as her lover, what complicates their relationship?
3. What does Pietro end up with that is worth more than the money he lost?
4. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
5. Where does Alibech sleep?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)