|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the nuns keep Masetto in the convent for many years?
(a) he speaks and they think God has worked a miracle.
(b) he fathers children the nuns say are orphans.
(c) he knows too much about their activities.
(d) he agrees to stay if they stop wanting sex.
2. Why does Abraham conclude that the Christian religion is strong and will last?
(a) it accomodates Jews.
(b) it leads the way in educating the people.
(c) it has very beautiful churches.
(d) it survives the excesses of the clergy.
3. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
(a) he wants to find out what monks do in their cells.
(b) he is such a liar that no one will have dealings with him.
(c) he is wanted for murder.
(d) he plans to steal gold from the church.
4. How can Berto so easily convince people that he has taken on the vows of poverty and chastity?
(a) because he genuinely wants to change.
(b) because he is such an accomplished liar.
(c) because no one in Vanice knows him.
(d) because he never speaks.
5. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
(a) for finding lost treasure.
(b) for dealing in rare jewels.
(c) for knowing many kings.
(d) for buying and selling horses.
6. Why does the first holy man send Alibech away?
(a) she is too stupid to learn his truths.
(b) she asks too many questions disturbing his meditations.
(c) he tells her everything he has to tell.
(d) she is beautiful and he cannot trust himself around her.
7. What does Giannotto di Civigni want to do?
(a) become a Jew like his friend, Abraham.
(b) go into business with his friend, Abraham.
(c) visit his friend, Abraham, in Jerusalem.
(d) convert his Jewish friend, Abraham, to Christianity.
8. Who does Pietro take up with after he loses all his money and clothes?
(a) some gamblers.
(b) some sorcerers.
(c) some grave robbers.
(d) some highwaymen.
9. Where does Alibech set out on her quest?
(a) she goes alone to Greece.
(b) she goes alone to Jerusalem.
(c) she goes alone to study in Alexandria.
(d) she goes alone to explore the Egyptian desert.
10. How does Monna Lisetta meet Brother Alberto?
(a) she comes to Brother Alberto to confess her sins.
(b) she is introduced by her sister.
(c) she hears him preach in church.
(d) see meets him in the market.
11. Why does Giannotto think it is so necessary to convert Abraham?
(a) he needs to have saved one soul before the year is out.
(b) unless he converts Abraham, he cannot go to heaven himself.
(c) he cannot be openly friends with Abraham as long as he is a Jew.
(d) unless Abraham converts to Christianity, he is sure to go to hell.
12. What do the nuns begin to do with Masetto?
(a) take advantage of him to find out what sex is like.
(b) make him dance for them in the garden.
(c) hide his clothes while he is sleeping.
(d) watch him work without his shirt on.
13. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
(a) to Antioch.
(b) to a monastery.
(c) to Rome.
(d) to Jerusalem.
14. Who takes the place of the prince and seeks revenge on the duke?
(a) the prince's son.
(b) the prince's brother.
(c) the prince's sister.
(d) the prince's father.
15. Why is Alatiel not happy with the duke after they go to Athens?
(a) he never leaves her side in Athens.
(b) he grows fat and lazy in Athens.
(c) he has a wife in Athens and keeps her as a mistress.
(d) he never allows her to leave the villa in Athens.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the monk trick the abbot?
2. What does Ghismunda do with Guiscardo's heart?
3. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
4. What arrangement does Alberto say is necessary for Gabriel to sleep with Monna Lisetta?
5. How does Ser Ciappelletto get a priest to absolve him?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)