|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Masetto interested in the gardening job?
(a) because he is too ugly to work anywhere else.
(b) because he has been out of work for a long time.
(c) because he is so religious.
(d) for the freedoms it allows.
2. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
(a) sleep with her.
(b) make her a nun.
(c) find her a husband.
(d) marry her.
3. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
(a) she convinces the King of Algarve that she is still a virgin.
(b) her father, the sultan, triples her dowry.
(c) she keeps her secrets from everyone.
(d) she promises to produce a male heir.
4. When does Masetto return to his village of Lamporecchio?
(a) after a new, younger gardener arrives.
(b) after several of the nuns get pregnant.
(c) after he has finished landscaping the garden.
(d) after the death of the abbess.
5. Why does the King determine that no one should ever know about all the men and unfortunate circumstances in Alatiel's life?
(a) because she never told anyone who she was.
(b) because she could not speak the language of her captors.
(c) because she always wore a veil.
(d) because the men who knew who she was are all dead.
6. Tiring of Monna Lisetta's vain confessions, what does Brother Alberto do?
(a) he reproaches her.
(b) he plugs up his ears.
(c) he refuses her absolution.
(d) he runs when he sees her coming.
7. What horrible thing does Tancredi do to his daughter?
(a) he lockes her in her room until he dies.
(b) he chops up Guiscardo's heart and has it prepared for her.
(c) he makes her witness the beheading of Guiscardo.
(d) he takes away all her clothes so she cannot go outside.
8. Why does Rustico agree to allow Alibech to remain with him?
(a) he is eager to test his willpower against her beauty.
(b) he is eager to save her soul.
(c) he is blind and cannot see her beauty.
(d) he is lecherous and wants to seduce her.
9. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
(b) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
(c) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
(d) the group by popular vote.
10. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
(a) for buying and selling horses.
(b) for knowing many kings.
(c) for dealing in rare jewels.
(d) for finding lost treasure.
11. Eventually what happens to Rustico?
(a) he is transfered to another monastery.
(b) he is caught and publicly whipped.
(c) he is worn out and can no longer pleasure Alibech.
(d) he repents and sends Alibech away.
12. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
(a) peek at him in his bath.
(b) poke fun at him.
(c) use sign language.
(d) teach him to write.
13. How does the monk trick the abbot?
(a) he convinces the abbot he is seeing things.
(b) he brings another woman for the abbot.
(c) he leaves the woman alone in his cell.
(d) he lets the woman out through his window.
14. What is the premise of the novel that results in rounds of story telling?
(a) 7 young women and 3 men leave Florence to escape the plague.
(b) 7 women and 3 children are banished from Florence society.
(c) 7 women and 7 men go on holiday together.
(d) 7 men and 3 young women leave Rome to escape the plague.
15. What is the discovery of Saladin, the Sultan of Babylon?
(a) his wives are wearing old clothes.
(b) he has more money than he can use.
(c) his treasury is empty.
(d) his people are giving him too much respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the nuns keep Masetto in the convent for many years?
2. Where does Alibech sleep?
3. How does a prostitute deceive Pietro?
4. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
5. Where does Alibech set out on her quest?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)