|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the monk trick the abbot?
(a) he lets the woman out through his window.
(b) he brings another woman for the abbot.
(c) he convinces the abbot he is seeing things.
(d) he leaves the woman alone in his cell.
2. What name does Alberto give Monna Lisetta that indicates how bright she is?
(a) Lady Genius.
(b) Lady Halfwit
(c) Lady Quickwit.
(d) Lady Copernicus.
3. How can Berto so easily convince people that he has taken on the vows of poverty and chastity?
(a) because he is such an accomplished liar.
(b) because no one in Vanice knows him.
(c) because he genuinely wants to change.
(d) because he never speaks.
4. Who does Abraham observe on his trip?
(a) the laity.
(b) the children.
(c) the clergy.
(d) other Jews.
5. Who comes to the aid of the duke when war is proclaimed?
6. Who takes Alatiel from the sailor after the murder of the other sailor?
(a) a merchant.
(b) a prince.
(c) a bandit.
(d) a magician.
7. After the trouble at sea, what happens to the men who love Alatiel?
(a) most of them abandon her.
(b) most of them sell her to other men.
(c) most of them commit suicide.
(d) most of them are murdered so she can be taken.
8. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
(a) she tells them that she fell in love with a monk.
(b) she tells them that she has a hell to hide the Devil.
(c) she tells them that she met God in the desert.
(d) she tells them how she has been serving God.
9. What does a monk see that ignites his temptation?
(a) a beautiful woman.
(b) a large cathedral.
(c) a bag of gold.
(d) a perfect diamond.
10. What does Ghismunda do with Guiscardo's heart?
(a) she keeps it in a silver box in her room.
(b) she hides it under her bed.
(c) she buries it under a rose bush.
(d) she mixes it with poison herbs, takes it, and dies.
11. What results after Monna Lisetta believes Alberto's story and agrees to comply?
(a) Monna Lisetta only complies when wearing a blindfold.
(b) Alberto gets cold feet and calls it off.
(c) they carry on an affair for quite some time.
(d) Alberto has to find a suitable place.
12. Why does Rustico agree to allow Alibech to remain with him?
(a) he is eager to test his willpower against her beauty.
(b) he is eager to save her soul.
(c) he is blind and cannot see her beauty.
(d) he is lecherous and wants to seduce her.
13. Why does Musciatto Franzesi choose Ser Ciappelletto to handle debts and trade?
(a) He wants a totally honest man to run his business.
(b) He thinks Ser Ciappelletto is rich enough not to steal from him.
(c) He fears the unscrupulous behavior of the Burgundians.
(d) He thinks Ser Ciappelletto is a bit stupid.
14. What is the premise of the novel that results in rounds of story telling?
(a) 7 women and 3 children are banished from Florence society.
(b) 7 men and 3 young women leave Rome to escape the plague.
(c) 7 young women and 3 men leave Florence to escape the plague.
(d) 7 women and 7 men go on holiday together.
15. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
(a) he is a high priest.
(b) he has a map of great treasure.
(c) he is a wise fortune teller.
(d) he is a Jewish money lender.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
2. Who does Alibech eventually find?
3. What are the three holy laws Saladin challenges Melchisedech to name as the one with the most truths?
4. What does Saladin plan to do when he visits Melchisedech?
5. Who murders Pericone, Alatiel's first lover?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)