|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the foolish girl, Alibech, want to do?
(a) to find one who can teach the ways of the Lord.
(b) learn about sex.
(c) prove there is no God.
(d) become a warrior for God.
2. How can Berto so easily convince people that he has taken on the vows of poverty and chastity?
(a) because he is such an accomplished liar.
(b) because no one in Vanice knows him.
(c) because he never speaks.
(d) because he genuinely wants to change.
3. Who does Alibech eventually find?
(a) a holy man who lives in a hut.
(b) a holy woman who heals the sick.
(c) a holy man who teaches in a synagogue.
(d) a holy woman who lives in a cave.
4. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the group by popular vote.
(b) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
(c) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
(d) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
5. Why does the King determine that no one should ever know about all the men and unfortunate circumstances in Alatiel's life?
(a) because the men who knew who she was are all dead.
(b) because she never told anyone who she was.
(c) because she could not speak the language of her captors.
(d) because she always wore a veil.
6. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
(a) to a monastery.
(b) to Jerusalem.
(c) to Rome.
(d) to Antioch.
7. Eventually what happens to Rustico?
(a) he is caught and publicly whipped.
(b) he is worn out and can no longer pleasure Alibech.
(c) he is transfered to another monastery.
(d) he repents and sends Alibech away.
8. Where does the monk take a woman?
(a) to her bedroom.
(b) to an inn.
(c) to a garden.
(d) to his cell.
9. What happens to Pietro when he stays the night at the woman's house?
(a) he is tied up, robbed, and dumped into a canal.
(b) he becomes ill from poison in his food.
(c) he ends up naked on the street and locked out of the house.
(d) he is arrested by the Naples police for soliciting.
10. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
(a) find her a husband.
(b) sleep with her.
(c) marry her.
(d) make her a nun.
11. Why does Constanzo leave the battle and return to the duke's house?
(a) he becomes deathly ill.
(b) he has fallen in love with Alatiel.
(c) he comes to protect the women and children.
(d) he changes his mind about fighting.
12. What does Saladin plan to do when he visits Melchisedech?
(a) to offer his daughter in marriage to Melchisedech.
(b) to trick Melchisedech into giving him money.
(c) to put Melchisedech under arrest and take his fortune.
(d) to fall on his knees and beg from Melchisedech.
13. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
(a) Her father refuses to look for a husband for her.
(b) She is caring for her father, Tancredi, in his old age.
(c) She is homely and the men do not consider her.
(d) She never accepts the men her father brings home.
14. Who is Alatiel's next lover after Constanzo?
(a) a king.
(b) a general.
(c) a baron.
(d) a merchant.
15. Who comes to the aid of the duke when war is proclaimed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
2. What do the brothers do to Isabetta's lover?
3. What results from Ser Ciappelletto's confession?
4. What does Pietro end up with that is worth more than the money he lost?
5. How does Monna Lisetta respond to the idea that the Angel Gabriel wants her?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)