|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the next rival for the favor of Alatiel?
(a) a soldier in the prince's honor guard.
(b) a prince who is a cousin of the duke.
(c) the emperor of Constantinople.
(d) a duke who is a cousin to the prince.
2. Where does the monk take a woman?
(a) to an inn.
(b) to her bedroom.
(c) to his cell.
(d) to a garden.
3. When Ciappelletto becomes gravely ill, what do the brothers think?
(a) they can steal his money after he dies.
(b) no one would blame them for turning him out of their house.
(c) no priest would ever absolve a man as evil as Ciappelletto.
(d) they might have to take him back to Paris.
4. Why does the abbot never punish the monk?
(a) because he had the woman as well.
(b) because he could not prove what the monk had done.
(c) because the monk caught him with a boy.
(d) because he feared the community would reject the monastery.
5. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
(a) to Jerusalem.
(b) to a monastery.
(c) to Rome.
(d) to Antioch.
6. What does Abraham observe among the church leaders in Rome?
(a) great humility with vows of poverty and celibacy.
(b) strong examples of how to live a clean life.
(c) greed, lust, lechery, and many other things that a man of God should not be a part of.
(d) great piety and devotion to Jesus and the saints.
7. Because of her vanity, what does Monna Lisetta do that soon allows all of Venice to know about her affair?
(a) she forgets to draw her drapes.
(b) she tells another priest at confession.
(c) she tells a neighbor about Gabriel's love.
(d) she has an artist paint a picture of her and Gabriel.
8. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
(a) for buying and selling horses.
(b) for knowing many kings.
(c) for finding lost treasure.
(d) for dealing in rare jewels.
9. Eventually, who does Ghismunda marry as arranged by her father?
(a) a duke who beats her regularly.
(b) a duke's son who dies shortly after the wedding.
(c) her father's best friend.
(d) a merchant who does not require a dowry.
10. After the trouble at sea, what happens to the men who love Alatiel?
(a) most of them sell her to other men.
(b) most of them abandon her.
(c) most of them are murdered so she can be taken.
(d) most of them commit suicide.
11. What are the three holy laws Saladin challenges Melchisedech to name as the one with the most truths?
(a) the law of Nature, of the Gods, or the Professors.
(b) the law of the Jews, Saracens, or Christians.
(c) the law of the church, the state, or the royalty.
(d) the law of the Christians, the Jews, or the Hindus.
12. What happens to Marato on board a ship?
(a) he is thrown overboard.
(b) he is talked into selling Alatiel.
(c) he is hung.
(d) he is shot.
13. How does Ser Ciappelletto get a priest to absolve him?
(a) he confesses under an assumed name.
(b) he lies about everything in his past life.
(c) he makes a large donation to the church.
(d) he becomes seriously penitent for his past sins.
14. What does Ghismunda do when she sees her father will not look for another husband for her?
(a) she leaves her father's house.
(b) she seeks out a lover.
(c) she joins a convent.
(d) she goes into the desert.
15. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
(a) the Prince of Wales who recognizes her.
(b) the sultan of Brunei who recognizes her.
(c) the King of Cyprus who recognizes her.
(d) the King of France who recognizes her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alibech set out on her quest?
2. What horrible thing does Tancredi do to his daughter?
3. What does Saladin plan to do when he visits Melchisedech?
4. What results from Ser Ciappelletto's confession?
5. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)