|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ciappelletto becomes gravely ill, what do the brothers think?
(a) they can steal his money after he dies.
(b) no priest would ever absolve a man as evil as Ciappelletto.
(c) no one would blame them for turning him out of their house.
(d) they might have to take him back to Paris.
2. What arrangement does Alberto say is necessary for Gabriel to sleep with Monna Lisetta?
(a) Alberto must be present to witness Gabriel's actions.
(b) Alberto will have to tie her to the bedposts.
(c) the angel will have to use Alberto's body.
(d) Monna Lisetta must keep her eyes closed.
3. How many men actually had Alatiel before she was married?
4. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
(a) her father, the sultan, triples her dowry.
(b) she convinces the King of Algarve that she is still a virgin.
(c) she promises to produce a male heir.
(d) she keeps her secrets from everyone.
5. What does Rustico tell Alibech she must do to serve God?
(a) to sleep naked in Rustico's bed.
(b) to put the devil back into hell.
(c) to give herself to God's priest.
(d) to chastize the devil with her tongue.
6. Who takes the place of the prince and seeks revenge on the duke?
(a) the prince's father.
(b) the prince's sister.
(c) the prince's brother.
(d) the prince's son.
7. What does Ghismunda do with Guiscardo's heart?
(a) she keeps it in a silver box in her room.
(b) she buries it under a rose bush.
(c) she mixes it with poison herbs, takes it, and dies.
(d) she hides it under her bed.
8. How can Berto so easily convince people that he has taken on the vows of poverty and chastity?
(a) because he genuinely wants to change.
(b) because no one in Vanice knows him.
(c) because he is such an accomplished liar.
(d) because he never speaks.
9. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
(a) Guiscardo is sent to prison.
(b) Guiscardo is forced into exile.
(c) Guiscardo is made to pay money for his transgression.
(d) Guiscardo is murdered and his heart cut out.
10. Why does Giannotto think it is so necessary to convert Abraham?
(a) he needs to have saved one soul before the year is out.
(b) unless he converts Abraham, he cannot go to heaven himself.
(c) he cannot be openly friends with Abraham as long as he is a Jew.
(d) unless Abraham converts to Christianity, he is sure to go to hell.
11. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
(a) marry her.
(b) sleep with her.
(c) find her a husband.
(d) make her a nun.
12. What does Rustico soon discover?
(a) that he can watch Alibech at her bath.
(b) that his willpower is not strong enough to resist Alibech.
(c) that Alibech is not as beautiful as he first thought.
(d) that Alibech snores and talks in her sleep.
13. What tragedy befalls Alatiel?
(a) she is shipwrecked off the island of Majorca.
(b) she is sold by her brothers for a great price.
(c) she is betrothed to an ugly old king.
(d) she is captured by pirates on the high seas.
14. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
(a) peek at him in his bath.
(b) use sign language.
(c) teach him to write.
(d) poke fun at him.
15. Who discovers what the monk is doing?
(a) the gardener.
(b) the other monks in the monastery.
(c) the abbot of the monastery.
(d) the woman's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What results after Monna Lisetta believes Alberto's story and agrees to comply?
2. How does the monk trick the abbot?
3. Why is Masetto interested in the gardening job?
4. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
5. What does Pietro end up with that is worth more than the money he lost?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)