|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the foolish Alibech think she is doing when she allows the monk to have his way with her?
(a) taking the lust out of Rustico's devil.
(b) hiding the devil from Rustico's hell.
(c) keeping the devil from leaving Rustico's cell.
(d) putting Rustico's devil into her hell.
2. How does a prostitute deceive Pietro?
(a) by claiming to be his late brother's mistress.
(b) by claiming to be his long lost sister.
(c) by claiming to be a fortune teller.
(d) by cliaming to be in great distress.
3. Where does Alibech set out on her quest?
(a) she goes alone to Greece.
(b) she goes alone to explore the Egyptian desert.
(c) she goes alone to Jerusalem.
(d) she goes alone to study in Alexandria.
4. Why do the nuns keep Masetto in the convent for many years?
(a) he knows too much about their activities.
(b) he agrees to stay if they stop wanting sex.
(c) he speaks and they think God has worked a miracle.
(d) he fathers children the nuns say are orphans.
5. Who does Alibech eventually find?
(a) a holy man who teaches in a synagogue.
(b) a holy woman who heals the sick.
(c) a holy woman who lives in a cave.
(d) a holy man who lives in a hut.
6. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
(a) the tutor who comes to give her lessons.
(b) the man who tends the family gardens.
(c) Lorenzo, the man who takes care of much of the family business.
(d) the man who grooms her brothers' horses.
7. Who does Abraham observe on his trip?
(a) the clergy.
(b) other Jews.
(c) the laity.
(d) the children.
8. What arrangement does Alberto say is necessary for Gabriel to sleep with Monna Lisetta?
(a) Monna Lisetta must keep her eyes closed.
(b) the angel will have to use Alberto's body.
(c) Alberto will have to tie her to the bedposts.
(d) Alberto must be present to witness Gabriel's actions.
9. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
(a) use sign language.
(b) peek at him in his bath.
(c) poke fun at him.
(d) teach him to write.
10. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
(a) she tells them that she met God in the desert.
(b) she tells them how she has been serving God.
(c) she tells them that she has a hell to hide the Devil.
(d) she tells them that she fell in love with a monk.
11. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
(b) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
(c) the group by popular vote.
(d) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
12. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
(a) Guiscardo is murdered and his heart cut out.
(b) Guiscardo is made to pay money for his transgression.
(c) Guiscardo is sent to prison.
(d) Guiscardo is forced into exile.
13. Where does the first holy man send Alibech?
(a) to a holy man who is supposedly more learned than the first.
(b) to a holy man who is paralyzed from the waist down.
(c) to a blind holy man who will not be tempted by her beauty.
(d) to a married holy man who will look on Alibech as a daughter.
14. How does Tancredi discover his daughter's affair with Guiscardo?
(a) he opens her door to see if she is in the house.
(b) he hears gossip on the streets and confronts her.
(c) he has her followed by a policeman.
(d) he falls asleep in her room and wakes up to find them together.
15. Why does Rustico agree to allow Alibech to remain with him?
(a) he is eager to test his willpower against her beauty.
(b) he is eager to save her soul.
(c) he is lecherous and wants to seduce her.
(d) he is blind and cannot see her beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ser Ciappelletto get a priest to absolve him?
2. Where do Constanza and Alatiel go after they leave Athens?
3. What does Saladin plan to do when he visits Melchisedech?
4. How does Monna Lisetta respond to the idea that the Angel Gabriel wants her?
5. Why does Constanzo leave the battle and return to the duke's house?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)