|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the foolish Alibech think she is doing when she allows the monk to have his way with her?
(a) putting Rustico's devil into her hell.
(b) keeping the devil from leaving Rustico's cell.
(c) taking the lust out of Rustico's devil.
(d) hiding the devil from Rustico's hell.
2. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
(a) she tells them how she has been serving God.
(b) she tells them that she met God in the desert.
(c) she tells them that she fell in love with a monk.
(d) she tells them that she has a hell to hide the Devil.
3. What arrangement does Alberto say is necessary for Gabriel to sleep with Monna Lisetta?
(a) the angel will have to use Alberto's body.
(b) Alberto will have to tie her to the bedposts.
(c) Alberto must be present to witness Gabriel's actions.
(d) Monna Lisetta must keep her eyes closed.
4. Why does the King determine that no one should ever know about all the men and unfortunate circumstances in Alatiel's life?
(a) because the men who knew who she was are all dead.
(b) because she never told anyone who she was.
(c) because she could not speak the language of her captors.
(d) because she always wore a veil.
5. Who murders Pericone, Alatiel's first lover?
(a) the captain of a ship.
(b) his brother, Marato.
(c) his cousin, Alberto.
(d) the sultan's soldiers.
6. After Ghismunda chooses Guiscardo as her lover, what complicates their relationship?
(a) they must meet in secret.
(b) Ghismunda becomes pregnant.
(c) Guiscardo's father is Tancredi's mortal enemy.
(d) they have nowhere to meet.
7. How does Alatiel manage to marry the King of Algarve after all?
(a) she promises to produce a male heir.
(b) she convinces the King of Algarve that she is still a virgin.
(c) she keeps her secrets from everyone.
(d) her father, the sultan, triples her dowry.
8. How many men actually had Alatiel before she was married?
9. Why is Masetto sleeping in the garden when the abbess finds him and begins to lust after him?
(a) he has been drinking the nun's wine.
(b) he is lazy and is taking rest in the orchard.
(c) he has been working too hard in the orchard.
(d) he has been servicing eight nuns and is tired.
10. What do the women tell Alibech?
(a) she cannot serve God with their husbands.
(b) she is a stupid girl who trusts men.
(c) there are plenty of men who will help her serve God.
(d) they want to learn how to serve God, too.
11. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
(a) he plans to steal gold from the church.
(b) he is wanted for murder.
(c) he wants to find out what monks do in their cells.
(d) he is such a liar that no one will have dealings with him.
12. What does Abraham observe among the church leaders in Rome?
(a) great humility with vows of poverty and celibacy.
(b) great piety and devotion to Jesus and the saints.
(c) greed, lust, lechery, and many other things that a man of God should not be a part of.
(d) strong examples of how to live a clean life.
13. Who is Alatiel's next lover after Constanzo?
(a) a king.
(b) a merchant.
(c) a baron.
(d) a general.
14. Who determines to discover the real identity of Monna Lisetta's angel?
(a) the next door neighbors.
(b) the abbot of the monastery.
(c) her brothers.
(d) her in-laws.
15. What is Monna Lisetta's character like?
(a) she in very humble.
(b) she is very intelligent.
(c) she is very belligerent.
(d) she is very vain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
2. What is the discovery of Saladin, the Sultan of Babylon?
3. Who takes Alatiel from the sailor after the murder of the other sailor?
4. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
5. Why does Nuto leave the convent where he was the gardener?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)