|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a prostitute deceive Pietro?
(a) by claiming to be his late brother's mistress.
(b) by claiming to be a fortune teller.
(c) by claiming to be his long lost sister.
(d) by cliaming to be in great distress.
2. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the group by popular vote.
(b) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
(c) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
(d) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
3. Who does Abraham observe on his trip?
(a) the clergy.
(b) the laity.
(c) the children.
(d) other Jews.
4. What tragedy befalls Alatiel?
(a) she is betrothed to an ugly old king.
(b) she is captured by pirates on the high seas.
(c) she is sold by her brothers for a great price.
(d) she is shipwrecked off the island of Majorca.
5. What happens to Marato on board a ship?
(a) he is shot.
(b) he is talked into selling Alatiel.
(c) he is thrown overboard.
(d) he is hung.
6. Why does Rustico agree to allow Alibech to remain with him?
(a) he is blind and cannot see her beauty.
(b) he is eager to save her soul.
(c) he is eager to test his willpower against her beauty.
(d) he is lecherous and wants to seduce her.
7. Where does Ser Ciappelletto find lodging in Burgundy?
(a) with a needy widow.
(b) in an expensive inn that Musciatto pays for.
(c) with two Franciscan friars.
(d) with two Florentine brothers.
8. What does Rustico soon discover?
(a) that Alibech snores and talks in her sleep.
(b) that he can watch Alibech at her bath.
(c) that Alibech is not as beautiful as he first thought.
(d) that his willpower is not strong enough to resist Alibech.
9. What results after Monna Lisetta believes Alberto's story and agrees to comply?
(a) Alberto has to find a suitable place.
(b) Alberto gets cold feet and calls it off.
(c) they carry on an affair for quite some time.
(d) Monna Lisetta only complies when wearing a blindfold.
10. How does Monna Lisetta respond to the idea that the Angel Gabriel wants her?
(a) she thinks it is natural since she is so beautiful.
(b) she is shocked and tells Alberto to leave at once.
(c) she is willing to sacrifice for her soul.
(d) she does not understand what Alberto is telling her.
11. Why does Constanzo leave the battle and return to the duke's house?
(a) he comes to protect the women and children.
(b) he has fallen in love with Alatiel.
(c) he changes his mind about fighting.
(d) he becomes deathly ill.
12. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
(a) the man who grooms her brothers' horses.
(b) the tutor who comes to give her lessons.
(c) Lorenzo, the man who takes care of much of the family business.
(d) the man who tends the family gardens.
13. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
(a) Guiscardo is forced into exile.
(b) Guiscardo is made to pay money for his transgression.
(c) Guiscardo is murdered and his heart cut out.
(d) Guiscardo is sent to prison.
14. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
(a) he plans to steal gold from the church.
(b) he is such a liar that no one will have dealings with him.
(c) he is wanted for murder.
(d) he wants to find out what monks do in their cells.
15. Eventually, who does Ghismunda marry as arranged by her father?
(a) a merchant who does not require a dowry.
(b) a duke's son who dies shortly after the wedding.
(c) her father's best friend.
(d) a duke who beats her regularly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the first holy man send Alibech?
2. Why does Abraham conclude that the Christian religion is strong and will last?
3. Why does Saladin go to Melchisedech?
4. Where does the monk take a woman?
5. Who is Alatiel?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)