|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Abraham conclude that the Christian religion is strong and will last?
(a) it has very beautiful churches.
(b) it survives the excesses of the clergy.
(c) it leads the way in educating the people.
(d) it accomodates Jews.
2. What does the foolish girl, Alibech, want to do?
(a) become a warrior for God.
(b) learn about sex.
(c) prove there is no God.
(d) to find one who can teach the ways of the Lord.
3. What does Nuto suggest Masetto do to get the job?
(a) dress in fine clothes to apply for the job.
(b) wear a bandana over his face.
(c) pretend he is a deaf mute.
(d) let the abbess see him without his shirt.
4. What is Monna Lisetta's character like?
(a) she in very humble.
(b) she is very vain.
(c) she is very belligerent.
(d) she is very intelligent.
5. When does Masetto return to his village of Lamporecchio?
(a) after several of the nuns get pregnant.
(b) after a new, younger gardener arrives.
(c) after he has finished landscaping the garden.
(d) after the death of the abbess.
6. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
(a) for buying and selling horses.
(b) for dealing in rare jewels.
(c) for finding lost treasure.
(d) for knowing many kings.
7. How does Isabetta learn of Lorenzo's fate?
(a) an angel tells her in a dream.
(b) a witness to his murder comes to tell her.
(c) he comes to her in a dream.
(d) she accidentally finds his shallow grave.
8. Why does Rustico agree to allow Alibech to remain with him?
(a) he is blind and cannot see her beauty.
(b) he is eager to test his willpower against her beauty.
(c) he is eager to save her soul.
(d) he is lecherous and wants to seduce her.
9. What does Abraham observe among the church leaders in Rome?
(a) strong examples of how to live a clean life.
(b) great humility with vows of poverty and celibacy.
(c) great piety and devotion to Jesus and the saints.
(d) greed, lust, lechery, and many other things that a man of God should not be a part of.
10. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
(a) he is such a liar that no one will have dealings with him.
(b) he wants to find out what monks do in their cells.
(c) he plans to steal gold from the church.
(d) he is wanted for murder.
11. Tiring of Monna Lisetta's vain confessions, what does Brother Alberto do?
(a) he reproaches her.
(b) he refuses her absolution.
(c) he runs when he sees her coming.
(d) he plugs up his ears.
12. How does the monk trick the abbot?
(a) he leaves the woman alone in his cell.
(b) he convinces the abbot he is seeing things.
(c) he brings another woman for the abbot.
(d) he lets the woman out through his window.
13. Who comes to the aid of the duke when war is proclaimed?
14. Why does Constanzo leave the battle and return to the duke's house?
(a) he comes to protect the women and children.
(b) he changes his mind about fighting.
(c) he has fallen in love with Alatiel.
(d) he becomes deathly ill.
15. Why do the nuns keep Masetto in the convent for many years?
(a) he knows too much about their activities.
(b) he speaks and they think God has worked a miracle.
(c) he agrees to stay if they stop wanting sex.
(d) he fathers children the nuns say are orphans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of her vanity, what does Monna Lisetta do that soon allows all of Venice to know about her affair?
2. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
3. What do the brothers do to Isabetta's lover?
4. Where does the monk take a woman?
5. Why does the abbot never punish the monk?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)