|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Musciatto Franzesi choose Ser Ciappelletto to handle debts and trade?
(a) He fears the unscrupulous behavior of the Burgundians.
(b) He thinks Ser Ciappelletto is a bit stupid.
(c) He thinks Ser Ciappelletto is rich enough not to steal from him.
(d) He wants a totally honest man to run his business.
2. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
(a) Guiscardo is made to pay money for his transgression.
(b) Guiscardo is murdered and his heart cut out.
(c) Guiscardo is forced into exile.
(d) Guiscardo is sent to prison.
3. Who is Alatiel?
(a) the wife of the sultan of Babylon.
(b) the favorite concubine of the sultan of Babylon.
(c) the princess betrothed to the sultan of Babylon.
(d) the daughter of the sultan of Babylon.
4. Why is Masetto sleeping in the garden when the abbess finds him and begins to lust after him?
(a) he has been servicing eight nuns and is tired.
(b) he has been drinking the nun's wine.
(c) he is lazy and is taking rest in the orchard.
(d) he has been working too hard in the orchard.
5. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
(b) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
(c) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
(d) the group by popular vote.
6. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
(a) for knowing many kings.
(b) for buying and selling horses.
(c) for finding lost treasure.
(d) for dealing in rare jewels.
7. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
(a) the tutor who comes to give her lessons.
(b) the man who grooms her brothers' horses.
(c) Lorenzo, the man who takes care of much of the family business.
(d) the man who tends the family gardens.
8. What does Rustico tell Alibech she must do to serve God?
(a) to sleep naked in Rustico's bed.
(b) to put the devil back into hell.
(c) to give herself to God's priest.
(d) to chastize the devil with her tongue.
9. Why does Giannotto think it is so necessary to convert Abraham?
(a) unless he converts Abraham, he cannot go to heaven himself.
(b) unless Abraham converts to Christianity, he is sure to go to hell.
(c) he cannot be openly friends with Abraham as long as he is a Jew.
(d) he needs to have saved one soul before the year is out.
10. What does the foolish girl, Alibech, want to do?
(a) to find one who can teach the ways of the Lord.
(b) learn about sex.
(c) prove there is no God.
(d) become a warrior for God.
11. Where does the first holy man send Alibech?
(a) to a married holy man who will look on Alibech as a daughter.
(b) to a blind holy man who will not be tempted by her beauty.
(c) to a holy man who is paralyzed from the waist down.
(d) to a holy man who is supposedly more learned than the first.
12. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
(a) the King of Cyprus who recognizes her.
(b) the sultan of Brunei who recognizes her.
(c) the King of France who recognizes her.
(d) the Prince of Wales who recognizes her.
13. Eventually, who does Ghismunda marry as arranged by her father?
(a) her father's best friend.
(b) a duke's son who dies shortly after the wedding.
(c) a merchant who does not require a dowry.
(d) a duke who beats her regularly.
14. What tragedy befalls Alatiel?
(a) she is shipwrecked off the island of Majorca.
(b) she is sold by her brothers for a great price.
(c) she is captured by pirates on the high seas.
(d) she is betrothed to an ugly old king.
15. What does Giannotto di Civigni want to do?
(a) go into business with his friend, Abraham.
(b) convert his Jewish friend, Abraham, to Christianity.
(c) visit his friend, Abraham, in Jerusalem.
(d) become a Jew like his friend, Abraham.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Ghismunda chooses Guiscardo as her lover, what complicates their relationship?
2. What happens to Marato on board a ship?
3. What are the three holy laws Saladin challenges Melchisedech to name as the one with the most truths?
4. Who discovers what the monk is doing?
5. Why do the nuns keep Masetto in the convent for many years?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)