|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who murders Pericone, Alatiel's first lover?
(a) the sultan's soldiers.
(b) his brother, Marato.
(c) his cousin, Alberto.
(d) the captain of a ship.
2. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
(a) the Prince of Wales who recognizes her.
(b) the King of Cyprus who recognizes her.
(c) the King of France who recognizes her.
(d) the sultan of Brunei who recognizes her.
3. Why does Abraham conclude that the Christian religion is strong and will last?
(a) it has very beautiful churches.
(b) it accomodates Jews.
(c) it leads the way in educating the people.
(d) it survives the excesses of the clergy.
4. Who is Alatiel?
(a) the favorite concubine of the sultan of Babylon.
(b) the princess betrothed to the sultan of Babylon.
(c) the daughter of the sultan of Babylon.
(d) the wife of the sultan of Babylon.
5. Why is Alatiel not happy with the duke after they go to Athens?
(a) he never allows her to leave the villa in Athens.
(b) he never leaves her side in Athens.
(c) he has a wife in Athens and keeps her as a mistress.
(d) he grows fat and lazy in Athens.
6. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
(a) the man who grooms her brothers' horses.
(b) the man who tends the family gardens.
(c) Lorenzo, the man who takes care of much of the family business.
(d) the tutor who comes to give her lessons.
7. Where does the monk take a woman?
(a) to his cell.
(b) to her bedroom.
(c) to an inn.
(d) to a garden.
8. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
(a) Guiscardo is sent to prison.
(b) Guiscardo is murdered and his heart cut out.
(c) Guiscardo is made to pay money for his transgression.
(d) Guiscardo is forced into exile.
9. What does Saladin plan to do when he visits Melchisedech?
(a) to offer his daughter in marriage to Melchisedech.
(b) to put Melchisedech under arrest and take his fortune.
(c) to trick Melchisedech into giving him money.
(d) to fall on his knees and beg from Melchisedech.
10. After the trouble at sea, what happens to the men who love Alatiel?
(a) most of them abandon her.
(b) most of them are murdered so she can be taken.
(c) most of them commit suicide.
(d) most of them sell her to other men.
11. What story does Alberto tell Monna Lisetta?
(a) that the Angel Gabriel wants her to sleep with Alberto.
(b) that the Angel Gabriel has been watching her undress.
(c) that the Angel Gabriel has fallen in love with her.
(d) that the Angel Gabriel wants to speak with her.
12. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
(b) the group by popular vote.
(c) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
(d) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
13. What do the women tell Alibech?
(a) she is a stupid girl who trusts men.
(b) there are plenty of men who will help her serve God.
(c) they want to learn how to serve God, too.
(d) she cannot serve God with their husbands.
14. What does Ghismunda do with Guiscardo's heart?
(a) she keeps it in a silver box in her room.
(b) she mixes it with poison herbs, takes it, and dies.
(c) she hides it under her bed.
(d) she buries it under a rose bush.
15. Who does Alibech eventually find?
(a) a holy man who lives in a hut.
(b) a holy man who teaches in a synagogue.
(c) a holy woman who lives in a cave.
(d) a holy woman who heals the sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who determines to discover the real identity of Monna Lisetta's angel?
2. Why is Masetto sleeping in the garden when the abbess finds him and begins to lust after him?
3. Why does the King determine that no one should ever know about all the men and unfortunate circumstances in Alatiel's life?
4. How does Monna Lisetta meet Brother Alberto?
5. What does Giannotto di Civigni want to do?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)