|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nuto leave the convent where he was the gardener?
(a) the work was too difficult for him.
(b) he had an accident so he could no longer work.
(c) he got too old to tend the garden.
(d) the salary was too low and he got conflicting orders.
2. Why does Abraham conclude that the Christian religion is strong and will last?
(a) it accomodates Jews.
(b) it has very beautiful churches.
(c) it survives the excesses of the clergy.
(d) it leads the way in educating the people.
3. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
(a) for buying and selling horses.
(b) for knowing many kings.
(c) for dealing in rare jewels.
(d) for finding lost treasure.
4. Who comes to the aid of the duke when war is proclaimed?
5. What happens to Marato on board a ship?
(a) he is thrown overboard.
(b) he is talked into selling Alatiel.
(c) he is shot.
(d) he is hung.
6. What results from Ser Ciappelletto's confession?
(a) he becomes thought of as a saint.
(b) he survives for another twenty years.
(c) he is forced to give up all his wealth.
(d) he is discovered to be a liar.
7. Why is Masetto interested in the gardening job?
(a) because he is so religious.
(b) because he is too ugly to work anywhere else.
(c) for the freedoms it allows.
(d) because he has been out of work for a long time.
8. What story does Alberto tell Monna Lisetta?
(a) that the Angel Gabriel has been watching her undress.
(b) that the Angel Gabriel wants to speak with her.
(c) that the Angel Gabriel has fallen in love with her.
(d) that the Angel Gabriel wants her to sleep with Alberto.
9. Why is Masetto sleeping in the garden when the abbess finds him and begins to lust after him?
(a) he is lazy and is taking rest in the orchard.
(b) he has been servicing eight nuns and is tired.
(c) he has been working too hard in the orchard.
(d) he has been drinking the nun's wine.
10. What tragedy befalls Alatiel?
(a) she is shipwrecked off the island of Majorca.
(b) she is captured by pirates on the high seas.
(c) she is betrothed to an ugly old king.
(d) she is sold by her brothers for a great price.
11. Why does the King determine that no one should ever know about all the men and unfortunate circumstances in Alatiel's life?
(a) because the men who knew who she was are all dead.
(b) because she never told anyone who she was.
(c) because she always wore a veil.
(d) because she could not speak the language of her captors.
12. What does Pietro end up with that is worth more than the money he lost?
(a) a bag of silver.
(b) a ruby ring.
(c) a gold crown.
(d) a prize horse.
13. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
(a) the man who grooms her brothers' horses.
(b) Lorenzo, the man who takes care of much of the family business.
(c) the tutor who comes to give her lessons.
(d) the man who tends the family gardens.
14. Who is the next rival for the favor of Alatiel?
(a) the emperor of Constantinople.
(b) a soldier in the prince's honor guard.
(c) a duke who is a cousin to the prince.
(d) a prince who is a cousin of the duke.
15. Who does Pietro take up with after he loses all his money and clothes?
(a) some gamblers.
(b) some highwaymen.
(c) some grave robbers.
(d) some sorcerers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alibech eventually meet?
2. After Ghismunda chooses Guiscardo as her lover, what complicates their relationship?
3. Why does the abbot never punish the monk?
4. Why does the first holy man send Alibech away?
5. What horrible thing does Tancredi do to his daughter?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)