|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who discovers what the monk is doing?
(a) the gardener.
(b) the abbot of the monastery.
(c) the woman's husband.
(d) the other monks in the monastery.
2. What is the discovery of Saladin, the Sultan of Babylon?
(a) his people are giving him too much respect.
(b) he has more money than he can use.
(c) his treasury is empty.
(d) his wives are wearing old clothes.
3. Where does Pietro go to ply his trade?
4. Because of her vanity, what does Monna Lisetta do that soon allows all of Venice to know about her affair?
(a) she forgets to draw her drapes.
(b) she tells a neighbor about Gabriel's love.
(c) she tells another priest at confession.
(d) she has an artist paint a picture of her and Gabriel.
5. Why is Alatiel not happy with the duke after they go to Athens?
(a) he grows fat and lazy in Athens.
(b) he has a wife in Athens and keeps her as a mistress.
(c) he never leaves her side in Athens.
(d) he never allows her to leave the villa in Athens.
6. How does Monna Lisetta meet Brother Alberto?
(a) she is introduced by her sister.
(b) see meets him in the market.
(c) she comes to Brother Alberto to confess her sins.
(d) she hears him preach in church.
7. Where does Abraham insist on going to find out about Christianity?
(a) to a monastery.
(b) to Antioch.
(c) to Rome.
(d) to Jerusalem.
8. What does Rustico soon discover?
(a) that he can watch Alibech at her bath.
(b) that his willpower is not strong enough to resist Alibech.
(c) that Alibech snores and talks in her sleep.
(d) that Alibech is not as beautiful as he first thought.
9. What does Ghismunda do when she sees her father will not look for another husband for her?
(a) she goes into the desert.
(b) she seeks out a lover.
(c) she joins a convent.
(d) she leaves her father's house.
10. How does Saladin honor Melchisedech?
(a) he makes him his chamberlain.
(b) he makes him his regent.
(c) he takes him to the court of Babylon.
(d) he builds him a palace.
11. How many men actually had Alatiel before she was married?
12. Who does Alibech eventually meet?
(a) a priest named Quantico.
(b) a thief named Rustico.
(c) a friar named Alfonzo.
(d) a monk named Rustico.
13. When Ciappelletto becomes gravely ill, what do the brothers think?
(a) no priest would ever absolve a man as evil as Ciappelletto.
(b) they can steal his money after he dies.
(c) they might have to take him back to Paris.
(d) no one would blame them for turning him out of their house.
14. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
(a) Her father refuses to look for a husband for her.
(b) She is caring for her father, Tancredi, in his old age.
(c) She is homely and the men do not consider her.
(d) She never accepts the men her father brings home.
15. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
(a) teach him to write.
(b) use sign language.
(c) peek at him in his bath.
(d) poke fun at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Alatiel from the sailor after the murder of the other sailor?
2. Who is Alatiel?
3. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
4. What does Pietro end up with that is worth more than the money he lost?
5. Why does the King determine that no one should ever know about all the men and unfortunate circumstances in Alatiel's life?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)