|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the group by popular vote.
(b) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
(c) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
(d) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
2. What tragedy befalls Alatiel?
(a) she is sold by her brothers for a great price.
(b) she is betrothed to an ugly old king.
(c) she is shipwrecked off the island of Majorca.
(d) she is captured by pirates on the high seas.
3. Where does Alibech sleep?
(a) in a closet in the monastery.
(b) outside the monastery.
(c) in Rustico's bed.
(d) on the floor of Rustico's cell.
4. When does Masetto return to his village of Lamporecchio?
(a) after a new, younger gardener arrives.
(b) after the death of the abbess.
(c) after several of the nuns get pregnant.
(d) after he has finished landscaping the garden.
5. What does Rustico tell Alibech to do?
(a) do like him and remove her clothes.
(b) lift her skirts to let him see her sin.
(c) watch as he removes his clothes.
(d) cover her eyes while he undresses.
6. What do the women tell Alibech?
(a) they want to learn how to serve God, too.
(b) she is a stupid girl who trusts men.
(c) she cannot serve God with their husbands.
(d) there are plenty of men who will help her serve God.
7. How does the monk trick the abbot?
(a) he convinces the abbot he is seeing things.
(b) he brings another woman for the abbot.
(c) he leaves the woman alone in his cell.
(d) he lets the woman out through his window.
8. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
(a) the man who tends the family gardens.
(b) the man who grooms her brothers' horses.
(c) Lorenzo, the man who takes care of much of the family business.
(d) the tutor who comes to give her lessons.
9. Who is Alatiel?
(a) the favorite concubine of the sultan of Babylon.
(b) the daughter of the sultan of Babylon.
(c) the princess betrothed to the sultan of Babylon.
(d) the wife of the sultan of Babylon.
10. Eventually, who does Ghismunda marry as arranged by her father?
(a) a merchant who does not require a dowry.
(b) her father's best friend.
(c) a duke who beats her regularly.
(d) a duke's son who dies shortly after the wedding.
11. What does Giannotto di Civigni want to do?
(a) go into business with his friend, Abraham.
(b) visit his friend, Abraham, in Jerusalem.
(c) become a Jew like his friend, Abraham.
(d) convert his Jewish friend, Abraham, to Christianity.
12. What do the nuns do because they think Masetto is deaf?
(a) use sign language.
(b) peek at him in his bath.
(c) teach him to write.
(d) poke fun at him.
13. Why is Masetto sleeping in the garden when the abbess finds him and begins to lust after him?
(a) he is lazy and is taking rest in the orchard.
(b) he has been drinking the nun's wine.
(c) he has been servicing eight nuns and is tired.
(d) he has been working too hard in the orchard.
14. Who discovers what the monk is doing?
(a) the other monks in the monastery.
(b) the abbot of the monastery.
(c) the woman's husband.
(d) the gardener.
15. Who does Alatiel eventually meet?
(a) the Prince of Wales who recognizes her.
(b) the King of Cyprus who recognizes her.
(c) the sultan of Brunei who recognizes her.
(d) the King of France who recognizes her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Constanzo leave the battle and return to the duke's house?
2. Eventually what happens to Rustico?
3. Why is Masetto interested in the gardening job?
4. When Ciappelletto becomes gravely ill, what do the brothers think?
5. Why does Nuto leave the convent where he was the gardener?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)