|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Isabetta fall in love and begin an affair?
(a) the tutor who comes to give her lessons.
(b) Lorenzo, the man who takes care of much of the family business.
(c) the man who tends the family gardens.
(d) the man who grooms her brothers' horses.
2. What results from Ser Ciappelletto's confession?
(a) he is discovered to be a liar.
(b) he becomes thought of as a saint.
(c) he is forced to give up all his wealth.
(d) he survives for another twenty years.
3. Why does Giannotto think it is so necessary to convert Abraham?
(a) unless Abraham converts to Christianity, he is sure to go to hell.
(b) he cannot be openly friends with Abraham as long as he is a Jew.
(c) he needs to have saved one soul before the year is out.
(d) unless he converts Abraham, he cannot go to heaven himself.
4. Who discovers what the monk is doing?
(a) the abbot of the monastery.
(b) the other monks in the monastery.
(c) the gardener.
(d) the woman's husband.
5. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
(a) she tells them that she fell in love with a monk.
(b) she tells them that she met God in the desert.
(c) she tells them how she has been serving God.
(d) she tells them that she has a hell to hide the Devil.
6. When does Masetto return to his village of Lamporecchio?
(a) after a new, younger gardener arrives.
(b) after the death of the abbess.
(c) after he has finished landscaping the garden.
(d) after several of the nuns get pregnant.
7. Who determines to discover the real identity of Monna Lisetta's angel?
(a) her brothers.
(b) the abbot of the monastery.
(c) her in-laws.
(d) the next door neighbors.
8. What does Rustico soon discover?
(a) that his willpower is not strong enough to resist Alibech.
(b) that Alibech is not as beautiful as he first thought.
(c) that he can watch Alibech at her bath.
(d) that Alibech snores and talks in her sleep.
9. Why does the first holy man send Alibech away?
(a) she is too stupid to learn his truths.
(b) she is beautiful and he cannot trust himself around her.
(c) she asks too many questions disturbing his meditations.
(d) he tells her everything he has to tell.
10. Who is the next rival for the favor of Alatiel?
(a) a prince who is a cousin of the duke.
(b) a soldier in the prince's honor guard.
(c) the emperor of Constantinople.
(d) a duke who is a cousin to the prince.
11. How does Monna Lisetta respond to the idea that the Angel Gabriel wants her?
(a) she is shocked and tells Alberto to leave at once.
(b) she is willing to sacrifice for her soul.
(c) she does not understand what Alberto is telling her.
(d) she thinks it is natural since she is so beautiful.
12. What does Saladin plan to do when he visits Melchisedech?
(a) to put Melchisedech under arrest and take his fortune.
(b) to offer his daughter in marriage to Melchisedech.
(c) to fall on his knees and beg from Melchisedech.
(d) to trick Melchisedech into giving him money.
13. Because of her vanity, what does Monna Lisetta do that soon allows all of Venice to know about her affair?
(a) she forgets to draw her drapes.
(b) she has an artist paint a picture of her and Gabriel.
(c) she tells another priest at confession.
(d) she tells a neighbor about Gabriel's love.
14. How does the monk trick the abbot?
(a) he brings another woman for the abbot.
(b) he lets the woman out through his window.
(c) he leaves the woman alone in his cell.
(d) he convinces the abbot he is seeing things.
15. Because Monna Lisetta is so beautiful, what does Brother Alberto desire to do?
(a) make her a nun.
(b) find her a husband.
(c) marry her.
(d) sleep with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eventually, who does Ghismunda marry as arranged by her father?
2. What does Pietro end up with that is worth more than the money he lost?
3. What does Ghismunda do with Guiscardo's heart?
4. Where does Alibech sleep?
5. After Ghismunda chooses Guiscardo as her lover, what complicates their relationship?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)