|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Alibech eventually find?
(a) a holy woman who lives in a cave.
(b) a holy man who teaches in a synagogue.
(c) a holy woman who heals the sick.
(d) a holy man who lives in a hut.
2. What does Alibech find surprising?
(a) that Rustico's Devil keeps coming back.
(b) that the Devil cannot enter her hell very often.
(c) that using her hell does not hurt her.
(d) that serving God is so pleasurable.
3. How does Monna Lisetta respond to the idea that the Angel Gabriel wants her?
(a) she does not understand what Alberto is telling her.
(b) she is willing to sacrifice for her soul.
(c) she thinks it is natural since she is so beautiful.
(d) she is shocked and tells Alberto to leave at once.
4. Why does the first holy man send Alibech away?
(a) she is beautiful and he cannot trust himself around her.
(b) she is too stupid to learn his truths.
(c) she asks too many questions disturbing his meditations.
(d) he tells her everything he has to tell.
5. Who does Pietro take up with after he loses all his money and clothes?
(a) some sorcerers.
(b) some highwaymen.
(c) some gamblers.
(d) some grave robbers.
6. What does Abraham observe among the church leaders in Rome?
(a) great piety and devotion to Jesus and the saints.
(b) greed, lust, lechery, and many other things that a man of God should not be a part of.
(c) strong examples of how to live a clean life.
(d) great humility with vows of poverty and celibacy.
7. What does the foolish Alibech think she is doing when she allows the monk to have his way with her?
(a) putting Rustico's devil into her hell.
(b) taking the lust out of Rustico's devil.
(c) hiding the devil from Rustico's hell.
(d) keeping the devil from leaving Rustico's cell.
8. Where does Alibech set out on her quest?
(a) she goes alone to study in Alexandria.
(b) she goes alone to explore the Egyptian desert.
(c) she goes alone to Greece.
(d) she goes alone to Jerusalem.
9. Who is Alatiel?
(a) the wife of the sultan of Babylon.
(b) the princess betrothed to the sultan of Babylon.
(c) the favorite concubine of the sultan of Babylon.
(d) the daughter of the sultan of Babylon.
10. Why does Musciatto Franzesi choose Ser Ciappelletto to handle debts and trade?
(a) He fears the unscrupulous behavior of the Burgundians.
(b) He thinks Ser Ciappelletto is a bit stupid.
(c) He thinks Ser Ciappelletto is rich enough not to steal from him.
(d) He wants a totally honest man to run his business.
11. Why does Rustico agree to allow Alibech to remain with him?
(a) he is eager to test his willpower against her beauty.
(b) he is lecherous and wants to seduce her.
(c) he is blind and cannot see her beauty.
(d) he is eager to save her soul.
12. What does Pietro end up with that is worth more than the money he lost?
(a) a gold crown.
(b) a bag of silver.
(c) a ruby ring.
(d) a prize horse.
13. Why does Berto della Massa go to Venice and take on the identity of Brother Alberto?
(a) he is such a liar that no one will have dealings with him.
(b) he wants to find out what monks do in their cells.
(c) he plans to steal gold from the church.
(d) he is wanted for murder.
14. What does Rustico tell Alibech she must do to serve God?
(a) to chastize the devil with her tongue.
(b) to sleep naked in Rustico's bed.
(c) to give herself to God's priest.
(d) to put the devil back into hell.
15. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
(a) She never accepts the men her father brings home.
(b) She is homely and the men do not consider her.
(c) She is caring for her father, Tancredi, in his old age.
(d) Her father refuses to look for a husband for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who determines to discover the real identity of Monna Lisetta's angel?
2. What do the brothers do to Isabetta's lover?
3. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
4. Who does Abraham observe on his trip?
5. What does Nuto suggest Masetto do to get the job?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)