|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the first holy man send Alibech?
(a) to a married holy man who will look on Alibech as a daughter.
(b) to a blind holy man who will not be tempted by her beauty.
(c) to a holy man who is paralyzed from the waist down.
(d) to a holy man who is supposedly more learned than the first.
2. What happens to Pietro when he stays the night at the woman's house?
(a) he becomes ill from poison in his food.
(b) he ends up naked on the street and locked out of the house.
(c) he is arrested by the Naples police for soliciting.
(d) he is tied up, robbed, and dumped into a canal.
3. Who determines who will tell the stories on each successive night?
(a) the person chosen as queen or king for the next night.
(b) the last person to tell a stroy the night before.
(c) the oldest of the 7 women and 3 men.
(d) the group by popular vote.
4. Where does Ser Ciappelletto find lodging in Burgundy?
(a) with two Franciscan friars.
(b) with a needy widow.
(c) with two Florentine brothers.
(d) in an expensive inn that Musciatto pays for.
5. What causes the women of Alibech's town to laugh when she returns after the deaths of her family members?
(a) she tells them how she has been serving God.
(b) she tells them that she met God in the desert.
(c) she tells them that she fell in love with a monk.
(d) she tells them that she has a hell to hide the Devil.
6. What does the foolish girl, Alibech, want to do?
(a) to find one who can teach the ways of the Lord.
(b) learn about sex.
(c) become a warrior for God.
(d) prove there is no God.
7. What does Tancredi have done to Guiscardo after he learns of his affair with Ghismunda?
(a) Guiscardo is murdered and his heart cut out.
(b) Guiscardo is made to pay money for his transgression.
(c) Guiscardo is sent to prison.
(d) Guiscardo is forced into exile.
8. When Ciappelletto becomes gravely ill, what do the brothers think?
(a) no one would blame them for turning him out of their house.
(b) no priest would ever absolve a man as evil as Ciappelletto.
(c) they might have to take him back to Paris.
(d) they can steal his money after he dies.
9. Who takes Alatiel from the sailor after the murder of the other sailor?
(a) a prince.
(b) a magician.
(c) a bandit.
(d) a merchant.
10. Who does Alibech eventually find?
(a) a holy man who teaches in a synagogue.
(b) a holy woman who lives in a cave.
(c) a holy woman who heals the sick.
(d) a holy man who lives in a hut.
11. Because of her vanity, what does Monna Lisetta do that soon allows all of Venice to know about her affair?
(a) she has an artist paint a picture of her and Gabriel.
(b) she forgets to draw her drapes.
(c) she tells another priest at confession.
(d) she tells a neighbor about Gabriel's love.
12. What does Rustico tell Alibech she must do to serve God?
(a) to chastize the devil with her tongue.
(b) to give herself to God's priest.
(c) to sleep naked in Rustico's bed.
(d) to put the devil back into hell.
13. Who is Alatiel's next lover after Constanzo?
(a) a baron.
(b) a king.
(c) a merchant.
(d) a general.
14. How does Isabetta learn of Lorenzo's fate?
(a) she accidentally finds his shallow grave.
(b) an angel tells her in a dream.
(c) he comes to her in a dream.
(d) a witness to his murder comes to tell her.
15. Eventually what happens to Rustico?
(a) he is worn out and can no longer pleasure Alibech.
(b) he is caught and publicly whipped.
(c) he is transfered to another monastery.
(d) he repents and sends Alibech away.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Andreuccio di Pietro famous?
2. What are the three holy laws Saladin challenges Melchisedech to name as the one with the most truths?
3. Why does Ghismunda not marry at a time when other girls her age have taken husbands?
4. After the trouble at sea, what happens to the men who love Alatiel?
5. What do the brothers do to Isabetta's lover?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)