1. Why have the young people of the novel left Florence and gone into the country?
The bubonic plague has hit the cosmopolitan centers of Europe and these people think they will be safe if they go into the country.
2. What means of entertainment do the young people devise?
They spend their days in play and rest before gathering after dinner at night to tell stories on assigned topics.
3. Describe the character of Ciappelletto who is put in charge of the affairs of Musciatto Franzesi .
He is an unscrupulous businessman who knows how to manipulate people with his clever deceits.
4. What happens to Ciappelletto while staying with two Florentine brothers in Burgundy?
He becomes ill to the point of death.
5. What is the quandary the Florentine brothers find themselves in when Ciappelletto becomes so ill?
They do not think any priest will absolve him so that he can be buried in a Christian cemetery, but if they put him out, the people will think ill of them.
This section contains 2,386 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)