|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war did Charlene's father serve in?
2. How does King describe Johnny's grin in the final chapter?
3. Which former actor does Johnny talk about in this section?
4. What does Richardson want to stop?
5. What kind of weapon does Johnny have in his attache case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Johnny think he is running out of time?
2. How does Johnny convince himself he is doing the right thing by following Stillson so closely?
3. What do the Chatsworths think about Stillson?
4. Why is New Hampshire perfect for Johnny?
5. Why does Ngo compare Stillson to a laughing tiger?
6. How does Sarah make peace with herself in this section?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. How did Johnny make the kid photographer become famous?
9. Why does Chuck need Johnny's help?
10. What does Johnny feel when he shakes Stillson's hand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of King's argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in King's argument?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the book? How does King develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)