Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee finds the suitcases, how far below the surface are the suitcases buried?
2. According to the rap sheet Chee is reading at the prison, what was the prisoner's first arrest for?
3. According to his mother, how many one hundred dollar bills did Joseph have when he returned from prison
4. When Chee notices vehicle tracks in the sand that have been dampened by the previous night's rain, where is Chee headed?
5. What is the name of Joseph Musket's mother?
Essay Topic 1
Hillerman uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
T.L. Johnson seems to be a man who is supremely confident in his ability to come out on top. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Johnson helped by his utter confidence? How is Johnson hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)