|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the rap sheet Chee is reading at the prison, what was the prisoner arrested for in El Paso?
2. After uncovering the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized, who does Chee call?
3. When Chee returns to his office, he finds a note that someone wants to see him. Who wants to see Chee?
4. According to his mother, how many one hundred dollar bills did Joseph have when he returned from prison
5. What is the name of Joseph Musket's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, what does Chee wonder about in regard to the scheduled exchange?
2. According to Mr. Armijo, how did Armijo know the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
3. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, whom does Chee think the two men may have been?
4. Before the two men part, why does Dashee ask Chee what size boots Chee wears?
5. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
6. How does Chee respond when Dashee asks Chee directly if Chee found the car?
7. While Chee and Dashee are meeting with the old Hopi, why is Dashee incredulous?
8. How does Chee respond when Largo asks Chee for all of his paperwork?
9. How does Mr. Armijo describe the person that Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
10. According to the old Hopi, why is there no longer any water at the Hopi's sacred place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of the novel, Hopi and Navajo traditions abound. In fact, these traditions and rituals become a main reason behind the story's plot. Identify at least three different Hopi or Navajo traditions that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the ritual, the characters involved, and how the Hopi or Navajo traditions impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these traditions had not been a part of the plot? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Captain Largo and Cowboy Dashee.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice, both positively and negatively?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)