|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Miss Pauling tells Chee, when is the caller expected to try to reach Gaines next?
2. When Chee tries to call Dashee after finding the missing vehicle, where is Dashee headed?
3. When the prisoner Chee is investigating was arrested on a narcotics charge, how many pounds of marijuana did the police confiscate?
4. After waking from his night under the stars, Chee goes to a roadside diner for breakfast and to make a telephone call. Who does Chee first call?
5. Who does Chee believe witnessed the plane crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, what does Chee wonder about in regard to the scheduled exchange?
2. According to the friend of West that Chee interviews, why did Johnson stay parked away from the prison long after he and West were finished talking?
3. Why does Chee unearth the hidden suitcases and take them with him to the village where the ceremony is taking place?
4. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
5. According to Mr. Armijo, why did the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about have lots of friends in the prison?
6. According to the old Hopi, why is there no longer any water at the Hopi's sacred place?
7. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
8. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
9. How was Thomas West killed?
10. According to Mr. Armijo, how did Armijo know the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jim Chee and Cowboy Dashee can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 3
Hillerman uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)