|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to prison officials, who was depositing extra money into the prisoner's canteen account?
2. What is the name of the Custodian of the Fourth World of the Hopis?
3. When Chee reaches the crash site, whom does he see by the wreckage?
4. When Chee asks Dashee if Dashee has caught the windmill vandals yet, who does Dashee blame the vandalism on?
5. According to what Dashee tells Chee, about how heavy should the missing drugs be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Armijo describe the person that Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
2. How does Chee respond when Dashee asks Chee directly if Chee found the car?
3. How does Chee respond when Largo asks Chee for all of his paperwork?
4. According to the friend of West that Chee interviews, why did Johnson stay parked away from the prison long after he and West were finished talking?
5. Describe Black Mesa.
6. Describe Windmill 6.
7. When Chee and Musket's mother introduce themselves, what information do they share?
8. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
9. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
10. When Dashee meets Chee on U.S. 160, what does Chee tell Dashee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Captain Largo and Cowboy Dashee.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)