|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Chee uncovers the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized, who accompanies Chee on his visit to act as an interpreter?
2. On what day did Jake West claim the body of his son from the prison?
3. According to West's friend, what was Johnson's purpose in visiting West?
4. When Chee returns to his office, he finds a note that someone wants to see him. Who wants to see Chee?
5. Where do the two arroyos that the car was not hidden in lead to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Black Mesa.
2. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
3. According to Mr. Armijo, why did the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about have lots of friends in the prison?
4. How was Thomas West killed?
5. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what would Chee do if he wanted to help the guardian of the shrine?
6. When Chee phones Dashee to ask about the missing drugs, what does Dashee tell Chee?
7. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
8. Describe Windmill 6.
9. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
10. When Dashee meets Chee on U.S. 160, what does Chee tell Dashee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of the novel, Hopi and Navajo traditions abound. In fact, these traditions and rituals become a main reason behind the story's plot. Identify at least three different Hopi or Navajo traditions that impacted the plot and the lives of the characters involved in the story. For each instance, describe the ritual, the characters involved, and how the Hopi or Navajo traditions impacted the story's plot. How might the story have been different if these traditions had not been a part of the plot? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee begins investigating the plane crash, when Chee figures out why the vandalism is occurring, and when Chee finally throws the cocaine in the river. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)