|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Chee uncovers the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized, who accompanies Chee on his visit to act as an interpreter?
2. According to what Dashee tells Chee, about how bulky should the missing drugs be?
3. When Chee reaches the crash site, whom does he see by the wreckage?
4. What size boots does Chee wear?
5. According to what Miss Pauling tells Chee, when is the caller expected to try to reach Gaines next?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
2. According to Mr. Armijo, why did the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about have lots of friends in the prison?
3. Describe Windmill 6.
4. How does Chee respond when Largo asks Chee for all of his paperwork?
5. Before the two men part, why does Dashee ask Chee what size boots Chee wears?
6. According to the friend of West that Chee interviews, why did Johnson stay parked away from the prison long after he and West were finished talking?
7. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
8. While Chee and Dashee are meeting with the old Hopi, why is Dashee incredulous?
9. When Dashee meets Chee on U.S. 160, what does Chee tell Dashee?
10. How was Thomas West killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 2
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)