|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chee stands at Windmill 6 and ponders all he knows, how does Chee characterize what he knows to this point?
2. In what year did the prison riot that killed thirty prisoners occur?
3. How much money did the prison typically give its inmates when they were released from prison?
4. After Chee uncovers the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized, who accompanies Chee on his visit to act as an interpreter?
5. According to what Chee tells the second person he calls, where will Chee be for the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
2. According to the old Hopi, why is there no longer any water at the Hopi's sacred place?
3. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
4. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
5. According to what Miss Pauling overhears on Gaines's phone call, what does the caller insist on when the exchange is to be made and why?
6. How does Chee respond when Largo asks Chee for all of his paperwork?
7. According to Mr. Armijo, how did Armijo know the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
8. Describe Black Mesa.
9. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
10. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what would Chee do if he wanted to help the guardian of the shrine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 2
Jake West employs many sinister techniques to make sure the people involved in his scheme end up exactly where they are supposed to end up.
a. Identify three methods that West uses to keep the other characters in place.
b. How does the West hide his true motives and what does he have to gain by keeping his real purpose a secret? What does he have to lose by keeping his real purpose a secret?
c. What other methods might West have used to achieve his purpose? Would any of your methods have been as effective as West's plan in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)