|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what he told his mother, how many sheep was Joseph Musket planning on buying at the end of the summer?
2. After Chee finds the suitcases, about how long does he spend obliterating any signs that he has been there?
3. According to what Dashee tells Chee, about how bulky should the missing drugs be?
4. In what year did the prison riot that killed thirty prisoners occur?
5. According to the person Chee goes to visit, how many suitcases were taken from the plane and put into the waiting car?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chee respond when Dashee asks Chee directly if Chee found the car?
2. When Chee phones Dashee to ask about the missing drugs, what does Dashee tell Chee?
3. While Chee and Dashee are meeting with the old Hopi, why is Dashee incredulous?
4. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
5. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
6. According to what Miss Pauling overhears on Gaines's phone call, what does the caller insist on when the exchange is to be made and why?
7. Why does Chee unearth the hidden suitcases and take them with him to the village where the ceremony is taking place?
8. When Chee and Musket's mother introduce themselves, what information do they share?
9. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
10. How does Mr. Armijo describe the person that Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jim Chee and Cowboy Dashee can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee begins investigating the plane crash, when Chee figures out why the vandalism is occurring, and when Chee finally throws the cocaine in the river. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)