|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the diner located?
2. On Chee's second phone call, what does Chee suggest the caller do?
3. When Chee reaches the crash site, whom does he see by the wreckage?
4. Who does Chee believe witnessed the plane crash?
5. What is the name of the clerk that the stolen necklace is given to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
2. According to what Miss Pauling overhears on Gaines's phone call, what does the caller insist on when the exchange is to be made and why?
3. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
4. While Chee and Dashee are meeting with the old Hopi, why is Dashee incredulous?
5. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
6. How does Chee respond when Dashee asks Chee directly if Chee found the car?
7. When Dashee meets Chee on U.S. 160, what does Chee tell Dashee?
8. How was Thomas West killed?
9. Describe Windmill 6.
10. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what would Chee do if he wanted to help the guardian of the shrine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)