|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of West's friend in prison that agrees to talk to Chee?
2. When Chee notices vehicle tracks in the sand that have been dampened by the previous night's rain, where is Chee headed?
3. In what year did the prison riot that killed thirty prisoners occur?
4. Where is the prison that Chee goes to visit?
5. After Chee starts searching for the suitcases at the crash site, about how long does it take for Chee to find the suitcases?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what Miss Pauling overhears on Gaines's phone call, what does the caller insist on when the exchange is to be made and why?
2. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
3. How was Thomas West killed?
4. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, whom does Chee think the two men may have been?
5. When Chee and Musket's mother introduce themselves, what information do they share?
6. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what would Chee do if he wanted to help the guardian of the shrine?
7. Describe Windmill 6.
8. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
9. According to the old Hopi, why is there no longer any water at the Hopi's sacred place?
10. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Captain Largo and Cowboy Dashee.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters introduced in the story who do not survive until the end of the story. Identify at least three people killed as the novel progresses. Compare and contrast each of these deaths, being sure to indicate which character died, how the character died, who was responsible for the character's death, and what impact on the overall plot the character's death had. What could have--or should have--been learned from each of these deaths by the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
When Chee asks Largo if he is concerned about the missing fifty minutes, Largo replies that he is not concerned because he knows how slowly Chee works. This sort of statement is typical of the way Largo interacts with Chee. Discuss the relationship between Chee and his superior officer. Is Largo's gruff demeanor toward Chee a sign that he does not respect Chee, or does Largo like and appreciate Chee? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)