|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee notices vehicle tracks in the sand that have been dampened by the previous night's rain, where is Chee headed?
2. Where does the arroyo that the missing car is hidden in lead to?
3. What size boots does Chee wear?
4. What is the name of the clerk that the stolen necklace is given to?
5. After Chee uncovers the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized, who does Chee go to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Windmill 6.
2. When Chee and Musket's mother introduce themselves, what information do they share?
3. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
4. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, what does Chee wonder about in regard to the scheduled exchange?
5. According to what Miss Pauling overhears on Gaines's phone call, what does the caller insist on when the exchange is to be made and why?
6. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
7. When Chee phones Dashee to ask about the missing drugs, what does Dashee tell Chee?
8. Describe Black Mesa.
9. Why does Chee unearth the hidden suitcases and take them with him to the village where the ceremony is taking place?
10. How does Chee respond when Dashee asks Chee directly if Chee found the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Captain Largo and Cowboy Dashee.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Cowboy Dashee's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself, his clan, and his friend, and he refuses to divulge information or leave evidence that might be damaging to Jim Chee. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Captain Largo, Jake West, T.L. Johnson, and Miss Pauling. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Jim Chee and Cowboy Dashee can be seen as kindred spirits. Although they are not quite the same, they share a number of similarities. Identify and describe these similarities. Then, based on your discussion of their similarities, identify the ways in which these two men's similarities facilitate the plot's development and moves the story forward.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)