|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the person Chee goes to visit, what are the suitcases made out of?
2. According to Navajo teachings, who lives in the Dzilidushzhinih Peaks?
3. How much money did the prison typically give its inmates when they were released from prison?
4. Where are the FBI agents who have been searching for the missing drugs with Johnson from?
5. Where is the diner located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Thomas West killed?
2. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
3. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
4. When Chee phones Dashee to ask about the missing drugs, what does Dashee tell Chee?
5. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
6. How does Chee respond when Dashee asks Chee directly if Chee found the car?
7. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what would Chee do if he wanted to help the guardian of the shrine?
8. According to Mr. Armijo, how did Armijo know the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
9. According to Mr. Armijo, why did the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about have lots of friends in the prison?
10. Describe Windmill 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jake West employs many sinister techniques to make sure the people involved in his scheme end up exactly where they are supposed to end up.
a. Identify three methods that West uses to keep the other characters in place.
b. How does the West hide his true motives and what does he have to gain by keeping his real purpose a secret? What does he have to lose by keeping his real purpose a secret?
c. What other methods might West have used to achieve his purpose? Would any of your methods have been as effective as West's plan in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify three of the people that refuse to believe that Chee had anything to do with the drug trade. Then, compare and contrast the backgrounds, experiences, and opinions of these three people. Was each member of the group necessary in order for the author to help the reader believe in Chee's innocence? Why or why not? What might have been different if these people were not supporting Chee? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)