|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Chee give the prison officials for his inquiries?
2. According to what Dashee tells Chee, about how bulky should the missing drugs be?
3. When T.L. Johnson visited West in prison, what was the listed reason for Johnson's visit?
4. According to Navajo teachings, who lives in the Dzilidushzhinih Peaks?
5. After Chee starts searching for the suitcases at the crash site, about how long does it take for Chee to find the suitcases?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
2. While Chee and Dashee are meeting with the old Hopi, why is Dashee incredulous?
3. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
4. According to Mr. Armijo, how did Armijo know the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
5. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
6. When Dashee meets Chee on U.S. 160, what does Chee tell Dashee?
7. After returning to his office, why does Chee call the trading post at Teec Nos Pos?
8. How does Chee respond when Dashee asks Chee directly if Chee found the car?
9. According to the friend of West that Chee interviews, why did Johnson stay parked away from the prison long after he and West were finished talking?
10. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what would Chee do if he wanted to help the guardian of the shrine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Captain Largo and Cowboy Dashee.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that justice plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of justice, both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Cowboy Dashee's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself, his clan, and his friend, and he refuses to divulge information or leave evidence that might be damaging to Jim Chee. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Captain Largo, Jake West, T.L. Johnson, and Miss Pauling. Support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)