|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the clerk that the stolen necklace is given to?
2. What helps Chee focus his concentration efforts?
3. After Chee finds the suitcases, about how long does he spend obliterating any signs that he has been there?
4. According to Chee's best guess, how does Johnson find out about what Chee had learned from the old Hopi?
5. According to what Dashee tells Chee, who gives the girl at Mexican Water the stolen necklace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Armijo describe the person that Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
2. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, what does Chee wonder about in regard to the scheduled exchange?
3. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
4. According to what Miss Pauling overhears on Gaines's phone call, what does the caller insist on when the exchange is to be made and why?
5. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
6. According to the old Hopi, why is there no longer any water at the Hopi's sacred place?
7. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
8. According to the friend of West that Chee interviews, why did Johnson stay parked away from the prison long after he and West were finished talking?
9. Describe Black Mesa.
10. Why does Chee unearth the hidden suitcases and take them with him to the village where the ceremony is taking place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast T.L. Johnson and Captain Largo.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Looking forward, how might Chee's suspected involvement in the plane crash and drug trade have affected each of these men as they moved forward with their lives? Would they be similarly affected or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Cowboy Dashee's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself, his clan, and his friend, and he refuses to divulge information or leave evidence that might be damaging to Jim Chee. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Captain Largo, Jake West, T.L. Johnson, and Miss Pauling. Support your observations.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)