|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the person Chee goes to visit, what are the suitcases made out of?
2. When Dashee tells Chee that the missing vehicle has been found, what does Dashee say that truly surprises Chee?
3. According to prison officials, who was depositing extra money into the prisoner's canteen account?
4. After seeing the men searching the plane wreckage, Chee returns to his truck. What does Chee get from his truck?
5. What helps Chee focus his concentration efforts?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to what Miss Pauling overhears on Gaines's phone call, what does the caller insist on when the exchange is to be made and why?
2. After returning to his office, why does Chee call the trading post at Teec Nos Pos?
3. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what does Chee say that he understands it gets harder and harder to do?
4. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what would Chee do if he wanted to help the guardian of the shrine?
5. How does Chee respond when Dashee asks Chee directly if Chee found the car?
6. While Chee and Dashee are meeting with the old Hopi, why is Dashee incredulous?
7. Why does Chee unearth the hidden suitcases and take them with him to the village where the ceremony is taking place?
8. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, what does Chee wonder about in regard to the scheduled exchange?
9. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
10. Describe Windmill 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel involves honor.
a. Identify three characters that are honorable in their actions. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted honorably.
b. Why do these characters try to be honorable?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors or would they have been more successful if they had not taken the honorable route? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of loyalty is evident throughout the novel. Cowboy Dashee's loyalties, for instance, lie with himself, his clan, and his friend, and he refuses to divulge information or leave evidence that might be damaging to Jim Chee. Discuss how the theme of loyalty is portrayed through the eyes of Captain Largo, Jake West, T.L. Johnson, and Miss Pauling. Support your observations.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)