|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What size boots does Chee wear?
2. When Chee tries to call Dashee after finding the missing vehicle, where is Dashee headed?
3. Where is the diner located?
4. According to Mary Joe Natonabah, who is responsible for trespassing on her grazing right?
5. According to the person Chee goes to visit, what are the suitcases made out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chee decide to ensure that Miss Pauling has access to the switchboard at the Hopi Cultural Center motel when Gaines's call comes in?
2. When Chee phones Dashee to ask about the missing drugs, what does Dashee tell Chee?
3. Why does Chee unearth the hidden suitcases and take them with him to the village where the ceremony is taking place?
4. According to the friend of West that Chee interviews, why did Johnson stay parked away from the prison long after he and West were finished talking?
5. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
6. After returning to his office, why does Chee call the trading post at Teec Nos Pos?
7. According to Mr. Armijo, why did the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about have lots of friends in the prison?
8. How does Chee respond when Largo asks Chee for all of his paperwork?
9. Describe Windmill 6.
10. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hillerman uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
T.L. Johnson wears different masks in the story. Both a DEA agent and narcotics trafficker, Johnson is a study in contradictions. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of T.L. Johnson. How would the entire plot have been affected if Johnson had not been successful at deceiving those around him, especially Jim Chee? Why is it necessary for Johnson to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
There is no doubt that Miss Pauling is greatly affected by the events the death of her brother. Discuss how her brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Miss Pauling's worldview, but also her determination to find her brother's killer. How do Miss Pauling's experiences affect her mental state, her susceptibility to being used by Gaines, and her willingness to help Chee?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)