|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chee stands at Windmill 6 and ponders all he knows, how does Chee characterize what he knows to this point?
2. On what day did Jake West claim the body of his son from the prison?
3. What is the name of the Custodian of the Fourth World of the Hopis?
4. When Chee returns to his office, he finds a note that someone wants to see him. Who wants to see Chee?
5. According to the person Chee goes to visit, how big are the suitcases?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, what does Chee wonder about in regard to the scheduled exchange?
2. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, whom does Chee think the two men may have been?
3. How does Chee respond when Dashee asks Chee directly if Chee found the car?
4. How does Chee respond when Largo asks Chee for all of his paperwork?
5. After returning to his office, why does Chee call the trading post at Teec Nos Pos?
6. Why does Dashee's boss, the sheriff, think Dashee knows where the drugs are hidden?
7. When Chee and Musket's mother introduce themselves, what information do they share?
8. According to what Miss Pauling overhears on Gaines's phone call, what does the caller insist on when the exchange is to be made and why?
9. While Chee and Dashee are meeting with the old Hopi, why is Dashee incredulous?
10. What is the one thing that the caller does not specify to Gaines during the phone call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee begins investigating the plane crash, when Chee figures out why the vandalism is occurring, and when Chee finally throws the cocaine in the river. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There is no doubt that Miss Pauling is greatly affected by the events the death of her brother. Discuss how her brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Miss Pauling's worldview, but also her determination to find her brother's killer. How do Miss Pauling's experiences affect her mental state, her susceptibility to being used by Gaines, and her willingness to help Chee?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Jim Chee, Cowboy Dashee, T.L. Johnson, Captain Largo, and Ben Gaines.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)