|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee finds the suitcases, how far below the surface are the suitcases buried?
2. According to the rap sheet Chee is reading at the prison, what was the prisoner's first arrest for?
3. According to his mother, how many one hundred dollar bills did Joseph have when he returned from prison
4. When Chee notices vehicle tracks in the sand that have been dampened by the previous night's rain, where is Chee headed?
5. What is the name of Joseph Musket's mother?
Essay Topic 1
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Jim Chee changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Chee's character when he is first introduced in the story, when Chee begins investigating the plane crash, when Chee figures out why the vandalism is occurring, and when Chee finally throws the cocaine in the river. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Chee, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)