|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee finds the suitcases, how far below the surface are the suitcases buried?
2. What helps Chee focus his concentration efforts?
3. According to the rap sheet Chee is reading at the prison, what was the prisoner arrested for in El Paso?
4. What is the name of Joseph Musket's mother?
5. According to West's friend, what was Johnson's purpose in visiting West?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mr. Armijo, why did the person Chee goes to the prison to find out about have lots of friends in the prison?
2. After returning to his office, why does Chee call the trading post at Teec Nos Pos?
3. According to what Miss Pauling overhears on Gaines's phone call, what does the caller insist on when the exchange is to be made and why?
4. What does Chee see when he goes to the shrine that solves the mystery of why the windmill is being vandalized?
5. How does Mr. Armijo describe the person that Chee goes to the prison to find out about?
6. As Chee flees from his trailer where two men were waiting for him, what does Chee wonder about in regard to the scheduled exchange?
7. While Chee and Dashee are meeting with the old Hopi, why is Dashee incredulous?
8. According to Chee's conversation with the old Hopi, what would Chee do if he wanted to help the guardian of the shrine?
9. Describe Black Mesa.
10. According to the friend of West that Chee interviews, why did Johnson stay parked away from the prison long after he and West were finished talking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no doubt that Miss Pauling is greatly affected by the events the death of her brother. Discuss how her brother's death and the events thereafter affect not only Miss Pauling's worldview, but also her determination to find her brother's killer. How do Miss Pauling's experiences affect her mental state, her susceptibility to being used by Gaines, and her willingness to help Chee?
Essay Topic 2
The book is titled The Dark Wind. Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main character, and the determination of Jim Chee to set things right?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Chee's life.
a. Identify at least three attempts on Chee's life. Describe the situation and how Chee escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Chee, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)