|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
2. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
3. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
4. How does Micha confuse Oma?
5. Where do Lore and her siblings presume Vati to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
2. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
3. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
4. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
5. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
6. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
7. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
8. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
9. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
10. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail and follow the progression of Lore's feelings for Tomas. How does she feel about him when she first sees him? How does she feel about Tomas when Juri asks about him on the ferry?
Essay Topic 2
Elena notes that for her love of a murderer her punishment is having no children. Detail why Elena might feel she should be punished for her husband's action. How is love and punishment related?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mutti's observation in Helmut's individual photo. Why does she see pain in the individual photo but not the family photo? Is there really pain or something Mutti thinks up?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)