|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
2. Who else wants to know the truth if Micha finds it?
3. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
4. What does Micha do in order to distract himself from Opa's past?
5. Why is Elena angry with Micha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
2. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
3. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
4. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
5. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
6. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
7. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
8. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
9. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
10. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seiffert gives a unique perspective of WWII. The thought that goes through a soldier's mind, like Jozef, is different from those who experience the consequence from home, like Helmut. Interview a veteran who fought in combat. If an interview is not possible, find a first person account. What is the veteran's psyche during the war? How does the war change the veteran's ability to live amongst civilians? Now interview a civilian who survived a war. What is their psyche like during the war? After the war? Compare and contrast the psyches of the veteran and the civilian.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail and follow the progression of Lore's feelings for Tomas. How does she feel about him when she first sees him? How does she feel about Tomas when Juri asks about him on the ferry?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in the novel are shown doing both good and bad deeds. Write about what makes a person good or bad. What goes into the title of good or bad?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)