|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
2. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
3. What do the children learn about Mutti?
4. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
5. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
2. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
3. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
4. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
5. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
6. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
7. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
8. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
9. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
10. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe post-war Germany's political state and how this affects every day civilian life. How do the zones make a difference? The rations and occupation of soldiers from enemy states?
Essay Topic 2
Elena notes that for her love of a murderer her punishment is having no children. Detail why Elena might feel she should be punished for her husband's action. How is love and punishment related?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Tomas character and discuss the significance of his role in the novel. Why does Seiffert write him as a thief who steals from a dead Jew? What does this signify about the war, post-war, to Lore?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)