|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Leisel punch Lore?
2. What does Kolesnik confess to Micha?
3. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
4. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
5. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
2. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
3. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
4. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
5. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
6. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
7. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
8. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
9. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
10. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel touches upon lots of judgments and racism. Compare and contrast generational differences to these issues. How do the Omas feel? How do children of the veterans feel? Grandchildren?
Essay Topic 2
Summarize Tomas character and discuss the significance of his role in the novel. Why does Seiffert write him as a thief who steals from a dead Jew? What does this signify about the war, post-war, to Lore?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mutti's observation in Helmut's individual photo. Why does she see pain in the individual photo but not the family photo? Is there really pain or something Mutti thinks up?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)