|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micha confuse Oma?
2. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
3. What feelings does Micha have for Jozef?
4. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
5. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
2. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
3. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
4. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
5. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
6. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
7. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
8. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
9. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
10. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Micha knows very little about Opa before his research about his war's past. Micha was not even old enough to attend Opa's funeral. Yet, Micha feels shame about Opa's actions and is too embarrassed to admit his family past when he visits Belarus. Why does Micha feel shame for someone he knows very little about? What is blood relations and family history so important to Micha?
Essay Topic 2
Micha ends his story with a visit to Oma's with Dilan. Why is it significant, not just in Micha's story, but also for the entire novel, that there is a relationship between Oma and the great-grandchild? What does this represent in regards to love and the consequences of war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mutti's observation in Helmut's individual photo. Why does she see pain in the individual photo but not the family photo? Is there really pain or something Mutti thinks up?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)