|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Micha go to search the truth about his Opa?
2. Why does Leisel punch Lore?
3. What are the conversations like between Micha and Luise?
4. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
5. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
2. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
3. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
4. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
5. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
6. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
7. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
8. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
9. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
10. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seiffert writes over many generations in the novel. World War II ended in 1945 yet Micha is affected in the late 1990s when he learns about his Opa. Write about how history affects the present. This paper may take one of two paths, politically or personally. Choose only one avenue.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the posted pictures of the Holocaust. Why are they posted? How do the Germans receive them? What issues come up concerning the pictures?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail and follow the progression of Lore's feelings for Tomas. How does she feel about him when she first sees him? How does she feel about Tomas when Juri asks about him on the ferry?
This section contains 1,441 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)