|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
2. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
3. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
4. What are Tomas' feelings after Jochen dies?
5. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
2. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
3. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
4. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
5. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
6. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
7. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
8. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
9. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
10. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seiffert gives a unique perspective of WWII. The thought that goes through a soldier's mind, like Jozef, is different from those who experience the consequence from home, like Helmut. Interview a veteran who fought in combat. If an interview is not possible, find a first person account. What is the veteran's psyche during the war? How does the war change the veteran's ability to live amongst civilians? Now interview a civilian who survived a war. What is their psyche like during the war? After the war? Compare and contrast the psyches of the veteran and the civilian.
Essay Topic 2
Helmut is a photographer's assistant, Lore looks at her family photo, and Micha compares his Opa's pictures to Hitler and Jozef's. Explain the significance of pictures in Seiffert's novel. Without going into too much detail of each picture, write about how pictures in general tell a person's truth and lies.
Essay Topic 3
Lore and her siblings are children during WWII but are affected by its aftermath. Discuss where the children are coming from as Nazi children. What tribulations do they go through as Nazi children? How responsible are they for their affiliation? How are they punished even if they do not live in camps?
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)