|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Micha and Jozef's first conversation can be described as ____________.
2. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
3. What does Lore overhear on the train?
4. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
5. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
2. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
3. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
4. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
5. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
6. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
7. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
8. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
9. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
10. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helmut is a photographer's assistant, Lore looks at her family photo, and Micha compares his Opa's pictures to Hitler and Jozef's. Explain the significance of pictures in Seiffert's novel. Without going into too much detail of each picture, write about how pictures in general tell a person's truth and lies.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the posted pictures of the Holocaust. Why are they posted? How do the Germans receive them? What issues come up concerning the pictures?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Tomas character and discuss the significance of his role in the novel. Why does Seiffert write him as a thief who steals from a dead Jew? What does this signify about the war, post-war, to Lore?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)