|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
2. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
3. What does Lore overhear on the train?
4. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
5. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
Short Essay Questions
1. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
2. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
3. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
4. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
5. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
6. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
7. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
8. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
9. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
10. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Micha ends his story with a visit to Oma's with Dilan. Why is it significant, not just in Micha's story, but also for the entire novel, that there is a relationship between Oma and the great-grandchild? What does this represent in regards to love and the consequences of war?
Essay Topic 2
Elena notes that for her love of a murderer her punishment is having no children. Detail why Elena might feel she should be punished for her husband's action. How is love and punishment related?
Essay Topic 3
Describe post-war Germany's political state and how this affects every day civilian life. How do the zones make a difference? The rations and occupation of soldiers from enemy states?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)