|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children learn about Mutti?
2. Who comforts Lore as she cries in bed?
3. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
4. What are Tomas' feelings after Jochen dies?
5. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
2. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
3. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
4. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
5. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
6. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
7. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
8. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
9. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
10. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel touches upon lots of judgments and racism. Compare and contrast generational differences to these issues. How do the Omas feel? How do children of the veterans feel? Grandchildren?
Essay Topic 2
Seiffert writes over many generations in the novel. World War II ended in 1945 yet Micha is affected in the late 1990s when he learns about his Opa. Write about how history affects the present. This paper may take one of two paths, politically or personally. Choose only one avenue.
Essay Topic 3
Describe post-war Germany's political state and how this affects every day civilian life. How do the zones make a difference? The rations and occupation of soldiers from enemy states?
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)