|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
2. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
3. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
4. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
5. What are Tomas' feelings after Jochen dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
2. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
3. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
4. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
5. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
6. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
7. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
8. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
9. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
10. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel touches upon lots of judgments and racism. Compare and contrast generational differences to these issues. How do the Omas feel? How do children of the veterans feel? Grandchildren?
Essay Topic 2
Seiffert gives a unique perspective of WWII. The thought that goes through a soldier's mind, like Jozef, is different from those who experience the consequence from home, like Helmut. Interview a veteran who fought in combat. If an interview is not possible, find a first person account. What is the veteran's psyche during the war? How does the war change the veteran's ability to live amongst civilians? Now interview a civilian who survived a war. What is their psyche like during the war? After the war? Compare and contrast the psyches of the veteran and the civilian.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mutti's observation in Helmut's individual photo. Why does she see pain in the individual photo but not the family photo? Is there really pain or something Mutti thinks up?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)