|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
2. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
3. How does Micha feel about himself?
4. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
5. What news does Mutti give about Vati in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
2. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
3. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
4. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
5. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
6. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
7. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
8. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
9. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
10. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in the novel are shown doing both good and bad deeds. Write about what makes a person good or bad. What goes into the title of good or bad?
Essay Topic 2
The novel touches upon lots of judgments and racism. Compare and contrast generational differences to these issues. How do the Omas feel? How do children of the veterans feel? Grandchildren?
Essay Topic 3
Describe post-war Germany's political state and how this affects every day civilian life. How do the zones make a difference? The rations and occupation of soldiers from enemy states?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)