|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
2. What are the conversations like between Micha and Luise?
3. What does Micha do in order to distract himself from Opa's past?
4. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
5. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
Short Essay Questions
1. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
2. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
3. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
4. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
5. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
6. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
7. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
8. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
9. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
10. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The truth can be an ugly thing. Whether the truth is fresh or many years past, some will deny it and some will accept it. Write about how the characters either search for the truth or deny it. What are the consequences of each?
Essay Topic 2
Elena notes that for her love of a murderer her punishment is having no children. Detail why Elena might feel she should be punished for her husband's action. How is love and punishment related?
Essay Topic 3
Describe post-war Germany's political state and how this affects every day civilian life. How do the zones make a difference? The rations and occupation of soldiers from enemy states?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)