|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
2. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
3. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
4. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
5. Why is Elena angry with Micha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
2. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
3. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
4. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
5. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
6. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
7. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
8. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
9. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
10. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seiffert gives a unique perspective of WWII. The thought that goes through a soldier's mind, like Jozef, is different from those who experience the consequence from home, like Helmut. Interview a veteran who fought in combat. If an interview is not possible, find a first person account. What is the veteran's psyche during the war? How does the war change the veteran's ability to live amongst civilians? Now interview a civilian who survived a war. What is their psyche like during the war? After the war? Compare and contrast the psyches of the veteran and the civilian.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the posted pictures of the Holocaust. Why are they posted? How do the Germans receive them? What issues come up concerning the pictures?
Essay Topic 3
Elena notes that for her love of a murderer her punishment is having no children. Detail why Elena might feel she should be punished for her husband's action. How is love and punishment related?
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)