|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micha feel about himself?
2. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
3. Why is Elena angry with Micha?
4. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
5. What news does Mutti give about Vati in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
2. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
3. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
4. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
5. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
6. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
7. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
8. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
9. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
10. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel touches upon lots of judgments and racism. Compare and contrast generational differences to these issues. How do the Omas feel? How do children of the veterans feel? Grandchildren?
Essay Topic 2
In Micha's story, Micha gets angry that the school only teaches about the occupation from the victim's perspective. This novel offers the German's perspective. Write a short paper on how this novel changed your ideas about WWII. Has it changed? How has it changed? Did you ever consider the human side of the German soldiers before? If so, does this novel give you a better idea?
Essay Topic 3
Helmut speaks of loyalty and pride in regards to the Third Reich. However, Helmut is human and more complex than having a simple faith. How does Helmut show indications that his loyalty are also feelings that are self-serving and not for the people of Germany?
This section contains 1,472 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)