|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
2. What news does Mutti give about Vati in Section 6?
3. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
4. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
5. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
2. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
3. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
4. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
5. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
6. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
7. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
8. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
9. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
10. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast racism during and after war. Who is harassed? In what way? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Helmut listens to the radio for Germany's progress. At the same time, he notices an emptying of Berlin. The two are correlated, but it is a mystery to Helmut. What is the correlation and what makes it difficult for Helmut to see how the victories abroad are tied to the city's emptiness?
Essay Topic 3
In Micha's story, Micha gets angry that the school only teaches about the occupation from the victim's perspective. This novel offers the German's perspective. Write a short paper on how this novel changed your ideas about WWII. Has it changed? How has it changed? Did you ever consider the human side of the German soldiers before? If so, does this novel give you a better idea?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)