|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lore overhear on the train?
2. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
3. Why is Elena angry with Micha?
4. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
5. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
2. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
3. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
4. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
5. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
6. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
7. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
8. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
9. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
10. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Seiffert rarely specifies time and she never specifies certain ages. Discuss why Seiffert would want to keep places and timing general. How does this help the reader understand these stories are representative of many people and not just one person's story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail and follow the progression of Lore's feelings for Tomas. How does she feel about him when she first sees him? How does she feel about Tomas when Juri asks about him on the ferry?
Essay Topic 3
The novel touches upon lots of judgments and racism. Compare and contrast generational differences to these issues. How do the Omas feel? How do children of the veterans feel? Grandchildren?
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)