|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
2. Where does Micha go to search the truth about his Opa?
3. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
4. Who comforts Lore as she cries in bed?
5. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
2. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
3. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
4. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
5. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
6. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
7. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
8. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
9. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
10. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helmut is a photographer's assistant, Lore looks at her family photo, and Micha compares his Opa's pictures to Hitler and Jozef's. Explain the significance of pictures in Seiffert's novel. Without going into too much detail of each picture, write about how pictures in general tell a person's truth and lies.
Essay Topic 2
Seiffert writes over many generations in the novel. World War II ended in 1945 yet Micha is affected in the late 1990s when he learns about his Opa. Write about how history affects the present. This paper may take one of two paths, politically or personally. Choose only one avenue.
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Tomas character and discuss the significance of his role in the novel. Why does Seiffert write him as a thief who steals from a dead Jew? What does this signify about the war, post-war, to Lore?
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)