|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Micha stay on his last visit to Opa's old World War II station?
2. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
3. Whose grave does Micha visit?
4. What is Oma's demeanor like?
5. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
2. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
3. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
4. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
5. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
6. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
7. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
8. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
9. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
10. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helmut is a photographer's assistant, Lore looks at her family photo, and Micha compares his Opa's pictures to Hitler and Jozef's. Explain the significance of pictures in Seiffert's novel. Without going into too much detail of each picture, write about how pictures in general tell a person's truth and lies.
Essay Topic 2
In Micha's story, Micha gets angry that the school only teaches about the occupation from the victim's perspective. This novel offers the German's perspective. Write a short paper on how this novel changed your ideas about WWII. Has it changed? How has it changed? Did you ever consider the human side of the German soldiers before? If so, does this novel give you a better idea?
Essay Topic 3
Helmut listens to the radio for Germany's progress. At the same time, he notices an emptying of Berlin. The two are correlated, but it is a mystery to Helmut. What is the correlation and what makes it difficult for Helmut to see how the victories abroad are tied to the city's emptiness?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)