|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
2. How does Mina feel about Micha's determination?
3. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
4. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
5. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
2. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
3. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
4. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
5. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
6. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
7. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
8. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
9. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
10. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The truth can be an ugly thing. Whether the truth is fresh or many years past, some will deny it and some will accept it. Write about how the characters either search for the truth or deny it. What are the consequences of each?
Essay Topic 2
The novel touches upon lots of judgments and racism. Compare and contrast generational differences to these issues. How do the Omas feel? How do children of the veterans feel? Grandchildren?
Essay Topic 3
In Micha's story, Micha gets angry that the school only teaches about the occupation from the victim's perspective. This novel offers the German's perspective. Write a short paper on how this novel changed your ideas about WWII. Has it changed? How has it changed? Did you ever consider the human side of the German soldiers before? If so, does this novel give you a better idea?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)