|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
2. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
3. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
4. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
5. Where does Micha go to search the truth about his Opa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
2. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
3. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
4. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
5. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
6. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
7. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
8. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
9. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
10. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in the novel are shown doing both good and bad deeds. Write about what makes a person good or bad. What goes into the title of good or bad?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mutti's observation in Helmut's individual photo. Why does she see pain in the individual photo but not the family photo? Is there really pain or something Mutti thinks up?
Essay Topic 3
Helmut is a photographer's assistant, Lore looks at her family photo, and Micha compares his Opa's pictures to Hitler and Jozef's. Explain the significance of pictures in Seiffert's novel. Without going into too much detail of each picture, write about how pictures in general tell a person's truth and lies.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)