|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
2. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
3. What is Micha's relationship like with his Oma as he learns more about his Opa?
4. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
5. What does Kolesnik confess to Micha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
2. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
3. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
4. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
5. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
6. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
7. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
8. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
9. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
10. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Micha's story, Micha gets angry that the school only teaches about the occupation from the victim's perspective. This novel offers the German's perspective. Write a short paper on how this novel changed your ideas about WWII. Has it changed? How has it changed? Did you ever consider the human side of the German soldiers before? If so, does this novel give you a better idea?
Essay Topic 2
Micha knows very little about Opa before his research about his war's past. Micha was not even old enough to attend Opa's funeral. Yet, Micha feels shame about Opa's actions and is too embarrassed to admit his family past when he visits Belarus. Why does Micha feel shame for someone he knows very little about? What is blood relations and family history so important to Micha?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mutti's observation in Helmut's individual photo. Why does she see pain in the individual photo but not the family photo? Is there really pain or something Mutti thinks up?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)