|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
2. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
3. What condition is Oma's house in?
4. How does Micha feel about himself?
5. Who comforts Lore as she cries in bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
2. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
3. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
4. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
5. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
6. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
7. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
8. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
9. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
10. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the posted pictures of the Holocaust. Why are they posted? How do the Germans receive them? What issues come up concerning the pictures?
Essay Topic 2
The truth can be an ugly thing. Whether the truth is fresh or many years past, some will deny it and some will accept it. Write about how the characters either search for the truth or deny it. What are the consequences of each?
Essay Topic 3
Helmut speaks of loyalty and pride in regards to the Third Reich. However, Helmut is human and more complex than having a simple faith. How does Helmut show indications that his loyalty are also feelings that are self-serving and not for the people of Germany?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)