|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mutti "clever" for having something on the table every night?
2. What opportunity opens up for Papi?
3. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
4. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep on their second night?
5. What does Gladigau's neighborhood look like when Helmut finds it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
2. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
3. As Lore and her siblings walk on, some seem suspicious of their backgrounds but people usually help them anyway. Why do some people look at Lore's family with disdain but eventually help?
4. During one of Helmut's walks around the city, he encounters the SS collecting and trucking the gypsies away. What is Helmut's reaction to this event?
5. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
6. Gladigau is first Papi's, then Helmut's employer. Gladigau does more than just pay his workers. How is Gladigau an important figure, especially to Helmut?
7. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
8. Helmut is not strong or smart. Yet, there are indications that Helmut is clever about getting what he wants. Give an example of how Helmut shows his clever ways.
9. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
10. Helmut finally gets to join the army. What does this imply about the state of Germany at this point in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The truth can be an ugly thing. Whether the truth is fresh or many years past, some will deny it and some will accept it. Write about how the characters either search for the truth or deny it. What are the consequences of each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe post-war Germany's political state and how this affects every day civilian life. How do the zones make a difference? The rations and occupation of soldiers from enemy states?
Essay Topic 3
Lore and her siblings are children during WWII but are affected by its aftermath. Discuss where the children are coming from as Nazi children. What tribulations do they go through as Nazi children? How responsible are they for their affiliation? How are they punished even if they do not live in camps?
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)