|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Lore's nightmares about?
2. What makes the children start to fight when Mutti speaks with the farmer?
3. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
4. What is Helmut's reaction during the second bombing?
5. What runs through Helmut's mind as he looks for his parents after the bombings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lore's role in the family.
2. Helmut catalogues Berlin through his snapshots. For months, Helmut sees the emptying of the city. When Gladigau interprets the pictures, he sees Berlin as the home it always is. What does Helmut learn about photography from this experience?
3. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
4. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
5. The Third Reich is at its height when Helmut is a teenager. How does this age and Helmut's life affect his acceptance and loyalty to the Third Reich?
6. Helmut has the opportunity to work as a soldier five years into the war. What are Helmut's thoughts and feelings towards being a soldier?
7. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
8. On the first day of their trip to Oma's, Juri twists an ankle. How does this foreshadow the rest of the journey?
9. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
10. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helmut speaks of loyalty and pride in regards to the Third Reich. However, Helmut is human and more complex than having a simple faith. How does Helmut show indications that his loyalty are also feelings that are self-serving and not for the people of Germany?
Essay Topic 2
Micha knows very little about Opa before his research about his war's past. Micha was not even old enough to attend Opa's funeral. Yet, Micha feels shame about Opa's actions and is too embarrassed to admit his family past when he visits Belarus. Why does Micha feel shame for someone he knows very little about? What is blood relations and family history so important to Micha?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast racism during and after war. Who is harassed? In what way? Why?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)