|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Helmut's political stance in 1945 as described in Section 5?
2. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep on their second night?
3. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
4. How many siblings does Lore have?
5. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helmut finally gets to join the army. What does this imply about the state of Germany at this point in the war?
2. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
3. Helmut has the opportunity to work as a soldier five years into the war. What are Helmut's thoughts and feelings towards being a soldier?
4. The new train station guard does not like Helmut immediately. Only after knowing Helmut's current situation, does he help Helmut. Why does the train station guard act this way? What does that say about the bombings in Berlin?
5. Describe Lore's role in the family.
6. As part of Papi's pay, Gladigau takes family portraits while Helmut grows up. How do the family portraits play a role in this story and what progression is observed from when Helmut is a newborn to the last individual photo?
7. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
8. As Lore and her siblings walk on, some seem suspicious of their backgrounds but people usually help them anyway. Why do some people look at Lore's family with disdain but eventually help?
9. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
10. When Juri is injured, Lore is the first to carry him on her back. What does this indicate about Lore and her responsibilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the posted pictures of the Holocaust. Why are they posted? How do the Germans receive them? What issues come up concerning the pictures?
Essay Topic 2
Elena notes that for her love of a murderer her punishment is having no children. Detail why Elena might feel she should be punished for her husband's action. How is love and punishment related?
Essay Topic 3
The truth can be an ugly thing. Whether the truth is fresh or many years past, some will deny it and some will accept it. Write about how the characters either search for the truth or deny it. What are the consequences of each?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)