|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
2. What does a woman offer Lore when Lore sits down very tired?
3. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
4. What runs through Helmut's mind as he looks for his parents after the bombings?
5. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
2. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
3. On the first day of their trip to Oma's, Juri twists an ankle. How does this foreshadow the rest of the journey?
4. The Third Reich is at its height when Helmut is a teenager. How does this age and Helmut's life affect his acceptance and loyalty to the Third Reich?
5. Helmut has the opportunity to work as a soldier five years into the war. What are Helmut's thoughts and feelings towards being a soldier?
6. Helmut finally gets to join the army. What does this imply about the state of Germany at this point in the war?
7. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
8. Germany is in the midst of war and has been for several years. The second bombing that Helmut experiences is the worst so far. Describe the new changes and routine to which the inhabitants of Berlin must adapt.
9. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
10. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast racism during and after war. Who is harassed? In what way? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Micha knows very little about Opa before his research about his war's past. Micha was not even old enough to attend Opa's funeral. Yet, Micha feels shame about Opa's actions and is too embarrassed to admit his family past when he visits Belarus. Why does Micha feel shame for someone he knows very little about? What is blood relations and family history so important to Micha?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize Tomas character and discuss the significance of his role in the novel. Why does Seiffert write him as a thief who steals from a dead Jew? What does this signify about the war, post-war, to Lore?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)