|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lore's family run to hide when the end of the war is near?
2. What do Gladigau and Helmut first film with color?
3. What is the biggest difference to Lore between her hometown and her hideout?
4. What is Helmut's reaction during the second bombing?
5. How does Gladigau view Papi and his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gladigau is first Papi's, then Helmut's employer. Gladigau does more than just pay his workers. How is Gladigau an important figure, especially to Helmut?
2. As Lore and her siblings walk on, some seem suspicious of their backgrounds but people usually help them anyway. Why do some people look at Lore's family with disdain but eventually help?
3. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
4. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
5. Describe Lore's role in the family.
6. Although Seiffert does not say much about the farmers, what are the implied feelings of the farmers?
7. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
8. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
9. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
10. When Germany takes Paris, there is a large celebration. Mutti and Papi attend but they do not ask him to go. When they return they meet him at the train station and leave looking like a happy family. Explain Mutti and Papi's actions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the posted pictures of the Holocaust. Why are they posted? How do the Germans receive them? What issues come up concerning the pictures?
Essay Topic 2
In Micha's story, Micha gets angry that the school only teaches about the occupation from the victim's perspective. This novel offers the German's perspective. Write a short paper on how this novel changed your ideas about WWII. Has it changed? How has it changed? Did you ever consider the human side of the German soldiers before? If so, does this novel give you a better idea?
Essay Topic 3
Lore and her siblings are children during WWII but are affected by its aftermath. Discuss where the children are coming from as Nazi children. What tribulations do they go through as Nazi children? How responsible are they for their affiliation? How are they punished even if they do not live in camps?
This section contains 1,517 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)