|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
2. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
3. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
4. What bad sign occurs on the first day of the children's trip?
5. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
2. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
3. When Lore is sure Tomas is asleep, she buries the last remaining keepsakes of Vati. Why does she do this when they seemed safe in her apron?
4. Mutti and Papi love their son, but there is a stubborn denial that there is anything wrong with Helmut. What does it finally take them to accept the truth and how do they handle it?
5. Helmut catalogues Berlin through his snapshots. For months, Helmut sees the emptying of the city. When Gladigau interprets the pictures, he sees Berlin as the home it always is. What does Helmut learn about photography from this experience?
6. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
7. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
8. Although Seiffert does not say much about the farmers, what are the implied feelings of the farmers?
9. What changes does Lore's family go through during the war?
10. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail and follow the progression of Lore's feelings for Tomas. How does she feel about him when she first sees him? How does she feel about Tomas when Juri asks about him on the ferry?
Essay Topic 2
Helmut speaks of loyalty and pride in regards to the Third Reich. However, Helmut is human and more complex than having a simple faith. How does Helmut show indications that his loyalty are also feelings that are self-serving and not for the people of Germany?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the posted pictures of the Holocaust. Why are they posted? How do the Germans receive them? What issues come up concerning the pictures?
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)