|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
(a) Burns them to ashes.
(b) Cuts off a piece for her to keep.
(c) Smells them.
(d) Washes them.
2. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
(c) Everyone writes a little something.
3. What do the children learn about Mutti?
(a) She is starving at the camp.
(b) Mutti is in a hard labor camp.
(c) She remains healthy at the camp.
(d) Mutti wil be released soon.
4. What are the conversations like between Micha and Luise?
(a) Their conversations turn into arguments about their family's reaction to Opa.
(b) They often talk about Micha's new baby to avoid confrontation.
(c) They are forced because of Mina.
(d) They are on the same page about Opa.
5. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
(a) His family.
(c) The innocent people Opa killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confuses Lore when they are close to Oma's?
2. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
3. Whose grave does Micha visit?
4. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
5. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
2. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
3. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
4. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
5. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
6. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
7. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
8. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
9. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
10. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)