|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
(b) She believes they are in the right.
(c) She believes they are still good people.
(d) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
2. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
(a) That he gets sad when he talks about it but tries to move on.
(b) That the only thing he feels is sadness.
(c) That he is not sad.
(d) That he lost sadness a long time ago, even before the Germans came.
3. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
(b) His Oma.
4. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
(a) A nearby church.
(b) In an abandoned building.
(c) The ferry dock.
(d) In a Red Cross refugee shelter.
5. Whose grave does Micha visit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
2. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
3. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
4. What confuses Lore when they are close to Oma's?
5. How does Jochen die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
2. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
3. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
4. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
5. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
6. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
7. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
8. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
9. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
10. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)