|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is at the center of Micha's mental family tree?
(a) His Mutti.
(b) His Vati.
(c) His Oma.
(d) His Opa.
2. What condition is Oma's house in?
(a) The house is literally gone and burnt down.
(b) The backyard is gone but most of the house remains.
(c) Mostly intact with some bricks missing.
(d) Mostly bombed out with parts of the first floor remaining.
3. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
(a) A nearby church.
(b) The ferry dock.
(c) In an abandoned building.
(d) In a Red Cross refugee shelter.
4. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
(a) They do not care so long as they are not involved.
(b) They encourage the truth to be revealed.
(c) They want to know but do not want to talk about it.
(d) They want him to stop.
5. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
(a) Mina does not care about the German culture.
(b) Mina is part Jewish.
(c) Mina does not consider herself German.
(d) Micha believes she considers herself Turkish first.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
2. How does Micha confuse Oma?
3. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
4. How does Mina feel about Micha's determination?
5. What does Elena show Micha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
2. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
3. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
4. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
5. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
6. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
7. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
8. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
9. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
10. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)