|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jochen die?
(a) He is captured by American soldiers.
(b) He falls out of a hayloft.
(c) He drowns in the river.
(d) The Russians shoot him.
2. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
(c) Everyone writes a little something.
3. What does Elena show Micha?
(a) Photos of his Opa during the war.
(b) The site of the Jewish killings.
(c) The grave of her brother, who was also an SS man.
(d) Jozef's old photos.
4. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
(a) The Meyers see Lore searching and ask if she needs help.
(b) Oma recognizes Juri first.
(c) Wiebke recognizes Lore.
(d) Tomas finds Oma and brings Lore back.
5. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
(a) Lore asks Tomas about them.
(b) Oma tells her the truth.
(c) From two women on the tram.
(d) She reads off a man's newspaper on the tram.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Micha go to search the truth about his Opa?
2. Who comforts Lore as she cries in bed?
3. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
4. What does Kolesnik confess to Micha?
5. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
2. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
3. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
4. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
5. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
6. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
7. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
8. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
9. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
10. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)