|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
(a) Lives in an abandoned house.
(b) Stays in a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(c) Sleeps at an unused train station.
(d) Stays in a church.
2. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
(c) Everyone writes a little something.
3. What are the conversations like between Micha and Luise?
(a) They are on the same page about Opa.
(b) They often talk about Micha's new baby to avoid confrontation.
(c) They are forced because of Mina.
(d) Their conversations turn into arguments about their family's reaction to Opa.
4. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) Most walk away back into their barracks.
(b) It involves a lot of drinking.
(c) They smoke and laugh.
(d) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
5. Where do Lore and her siblings presume Vati to be?
(a) In prison.
(b) With Mutti in a camp.
(c) In another country.
(d) Hiding in a rural area.
Short Answer Questions
1. What indicates the closeness between Lore's family and Tomas?
2. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
3. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
4. What is Oma's demeanor like?
5. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
Short Essay Questions
1. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
2. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
3. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
4. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
5. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
6. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
7. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
8. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
9. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
10. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)