|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
(a) In Oma's one room house.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) At the Meyers' house.
(d) In Wiebke's old room.
2. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
(a) Washes them.
(b) Cuts off a piece for her to keep.
(c) Burns them to ashes.
(d) Smells them.
3. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
(c) His family.
(d) The innocent people Opa killed.
4. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
(a) He hires a personal tour guide.
(b) He asks a mechanic standing nearby.
(c) There are signs all over the city.
(d) The red dots on his map.
5. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
(a) They look like thin and scraggly strangers.
(b) No one is smiling.
(c) They have darkened under the sun during their trip.
(d) They look healthier than they feel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
2. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
3. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
4. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
5. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
2. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
3. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
4. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
5. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
6. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
7. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
8. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
9. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
10. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)