|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
(a) His angry response to her.
(b) Lore discovers his secret and is appalled.
(c) Wiebke tells her it is shameful.
(d) Oma is suspicious of her whereabouts.
2. How does Micha confuse Oma?
(a) Micha confronts her about her history.
(b) Micha talks to her about Opa as if he is a stranger.
(c) Micha visits on a non-regular day.
(d) Micha takes her to a new place to talk.
3. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
(a) Racism aimed at her.
(b) A lifetime of being ostracized.
(c) The inability to have children.
(d) Her children's early death.
4. What confuses Lore when they are close to Oma's?
(a) She cannot recognize the city with so many bombed areas.
(b) No one seems to recognize Oma's name.
(c) Oma is said to not live there anymore.
(d) Tomas tells Lore that Oma may be in prison too.
5. Where do Lore and her siblings presume Vati to be?
(a) In prison.
(b) Hiding in a rural area.
(c) With Mutti in a camp.
(d) In another country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
2. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
3. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
4. What does Lore overhear on the train?
5. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
2. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
3. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
4. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
5. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
6. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
7. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
8. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
9. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
10. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)