|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
(a) That his Oma still loves him.
(b) That Opa killed Jews in the war.
(c) That Opa is still the same grandfather.
(d) That his family is not responsible for Opa's actions.
2. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa is part Jewish.
(b) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
(c) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
(d) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
3. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
(a) The woman's grandfather from the museum.
4. What does Micha like about his pictures of Opa?
(a) Opa is always looking at Micha.
(b) Opa looks like he has a secret.
(c) Opa carries a mysterious facial expression.
(d) Opa has a very genuine smile.
5. What news does Mutti give about Vati in Section 6?
(a) He is safe.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is in a Russian prison.
(d) He is out of contact.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comforts Lore as she cries in bed?
2. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
3. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
4. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
5. What does Micha do in order to distract himself from Opa's past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
2. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
3. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
4. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
5. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
6. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
7. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
8. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
9. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
10. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)