|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
(b) Opa is part Jewish.
(c) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
(d) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
2. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
(a) Shoveling piles of ashes.
(b) Laughing and playing with their children like his Opa.
(c) Smoking and laughing in front of dead bodies.
(d) They are in battle on the war front.
3. Whose grave does Micha visit?
4. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
(a) Mina does not consider herself German.
(b) Mina is part Jewish.
(c) Mina does not care about the German culture.
(d) Micha believes she considers herself Turkish first.
5. Where does Micha stay on his last visit to Opa's old World War II station?
(a) His Oma's old house.
(c) Jozef's home.
(d) In a hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Micha's relationship like with his Oma as he learns more about his Opa?
2. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
3. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
4. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
5. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
2. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
3. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
4. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
5. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
6. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
7. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
8. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
9. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
10. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)