|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) They smoke and laugh.
(b) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(c) It involves a lot of drinking.
(d) Most walk away back into their barracks.
2. What do the children learn about Mutti?
(a) Mutti is in a hard labor camp.
(b) Mutti wil be released soon.
(c) She is starving at the camp.
(d) She remains healthy at the camp.
3. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
(d) The neighbor next door.
4. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
(a) In Oma's one room house.
(b) At the Meyers' house.
(c) In Wiebke's old room.
(d) In the cellar.
5. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
(a) That he is looking for his Opa.
(b) That he is a schoolteacher.
(c) That he is part Jewish.
(d) That he is in search of Opa's true background.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micha feel about himself?
2. What are the conversations like between Micha and Luise?
3. What condition is Oma's house in?
4. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
5. Whose grave does Micha visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
2. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
3. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
4. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
5. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
6. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
7. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
8. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
9. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
10. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)