|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
(a) The woman's grandfather from the museum.
2. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
(a) That Opa is still the same grandfather.
(b) That his family is not responsible for Opa's actions.
(c) That his Oma still loves him.
(d) That Opa killed Jews in the war.
3. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
(a) Lives in an abandoned house.
(b) Stays in a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(c) Stays in a church.
(d) Sleeps at an unused train station.
4. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
(a) Smoking and laughing in front of dead bodies.
(b) Laughing and playing with their children like his Opa.
(c) Shoveling piles of ashes.
(d) They are in battle on the war front.
5. Whose grave does Micha visit?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
2. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
3. What does Elena show Micha?
4. What does Lore overhear on the train?
5. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
2. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
3. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
4. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
5. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
6. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
7. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
8. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
9. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
10. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)