|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Micha and Jozef's first conversation can be described as ____________.
2. Where does Micha go to search the truth about his Opa?
3. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
(a) Smells them.
(b) Cuts off a piece for her to keep.
(c) Washes them.
(d) Burns them to ashes.
4. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She believes they are still good people.
(b) She believes they are in the right.
(c) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
(d) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
5. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
(a) The Meyers see Lore searching and ask if she needs help.
(b) Oma recognizes Juri first.
(c) Tomas finds Oma and brings Lore back.
(d) Wiebke recognizes Lore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
2. What does Lore overhear on the train?
3. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
4. Who else wants to know the truth if Micha finds it?
5. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
2. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
3. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
4. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
5. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
6. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
7. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
8. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
9. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
10. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)