|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa is part Jewish.
(b) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
(c) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
(d) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
2. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) They smoke and laugh.
(b) It involves a lot of drinking.
(c) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(d) Most walk away back into their barracks.
3. What is Oma's demeanor like?
(a) Constant showers of hugs and kisses.
4. What indicates the closeness between Lore's family and Tomas?
(a) Tomas carries Peter as often as Lore.
(b) Leisel and Juri fight to sleep next to Tomas.
(c) Tomas and Lore always sleep with their arms touching.
(d) Juri sleeps in Tomas' lap on the train.
5. How does Micha confuse Oma?
(a) Micha visits on a non-regular day.
(b) Micha confronts her about her history.
(c) Micha takes her to a new place to talk.
(d) Micha talks to her about Opa as if he is a stranger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confuses Lore when they are close to Oma's?
2. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
3. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
4. What news does Mutti give about Vati in Section 6?
5. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
2. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
3. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
4. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
5. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
6. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
7. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
8. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
9. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
10. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)