|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Micha and Jozef's first conversation can be described as ____________.
2. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
(a) He asks a mechanic standing nearby.
(b) He hires a personal tour guide.
(c) The red dots on his map.
(d) There are signs all over the city.
3. What is Oma's demeanor like?
(d) Constant showers of hugs and kisses.
4. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
(a) They want to know but do not want to talk about it.
(b) They encourage the truth to be revealed.
(c) They want him to stop.
(d) They do not care so long as they are not involved.
5. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
(b) Mutti acknowledges it as fact but nothing more.
(c) Mutti sheds tears on her response letter.
(d) Mutti is sad but does not cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children learn about Mutti?
2. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
3. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
4. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
5. What are Tomas' feelings after Jochen dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
2. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
3. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
4. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
5. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
6. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
7. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
8. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
9. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
10. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)