|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Micha like about his pictures of Opa?
(a) Opa carries a mysterious facial expression.
(b) Opa looks like he has a secret.
(c) Opa is always looking at Micha.
(d) Opa has a very genuine smile.
2. What does Lore overhear on the train?
(a) Tomas is a fugitive.
(b) The Nazi trials are underway.
(c) Vati and Mutti are in prison.
(d) The pictures posted all around are fakes.
3. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
(a) Tomas plans to leave without saying goodbye.
(b) He stole the papers from a dead Jew.
(c) Tomas killed a man for the papers.
(d) Tomas knows where Vati is.
4. How does Jochen die?
(a) He is captured by American soldiers.
(b) The Russians shoot him.
(c) He drowns in the river.
(d) He falls out of a hayloft.
5. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
(a) A soldier with a gun.
(b) The train is moving while passengers are boarding.
(c) A crazy man with a brick running at them.
(d) There is no space on the train.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
2. What news does Mutti give about Vati in Section 6?
3. How does Micha feel about himself?
4. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
5. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
2. Many Holocaust images are posted to spread the truth of what occurred during the war. What are the people's views in regards to the photos?
3. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
4. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
5. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
6. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
7. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
8. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
9. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
10. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)