|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
2. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
(a) Photos of his Oma and Opa.
(b) Photos of Mina and Dilan.
(c) Photos of his daughter.
(d) Photos of Elena and Jozef.
3. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
(a) Everyone writes a little something.
4. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
(b) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
(c) She believes they are in the right.
(d) She believes they are still good people.
5. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
(a) The ferry dock.
(b) A nearby church.
(c) In a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(d) In an abandoned building.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose grave does Micha visit?
2. What do the children learn about Mutti?
3. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
4. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
5. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
2. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
3. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
4. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
5. The children take a family picture to send to Mutti. What is Lore's reflection about the changes in her and her siblings?
6. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
7. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
8. Oma explains to Lore that Vati and Mutti are good people despite their involvement. Explain Oma's situation and where she stands regarding Mutti and Vati.
9. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
10. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)