|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
(d) The neighbor next door.
2. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
(a) That the only thing he feels is sadness.
(b) That he gets sad when he talks about it but tries to move on.
(c) That he is not sad.
(d) That he lost sadness a long time ago, even before the Germans came.
3. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
(a) Mina does not consider herself German.
(b) Micha believes she considers herself Turkish first.
(c) Mina is part Jewish.
(d) Mina does not care about the German culture.
4. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
(a) In Wiebke's old room.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In Oma's one room house.
(d) At the Meyers' house.
5. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) It involves a lot of drinking.
(b) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(c) Most walk away back into their barracks.
(d) They smoke and laugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Micha like about his pictures of Opa?
2. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
3. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
4. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
5. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore is hesitant about Tomas when they first meet. What are Lore's feelings as time progresses?
2. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
3. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
4. Only Micha seems adamant on searching the truth about Opa. What is Mutti and Vati's point of view in regards to Opa?
5. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
6. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
7. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
8. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
9. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
10. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)