|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
(a) His sad expressions in family photos.
(b) He is not a soldier.
(c) He takes bad photos.
(d) The way his mother looks at him.
2. What do Gladigau and Helmut first film with color?
(a) A banner-lined street with swastika emblems.
(b) Autumn trees.
(c) A victory parade.
(d) Gypsies in their bright clothing.
3. What is Helmut's reaction during the second bombing?
(a) He cries and stays in his bed until it is all over.
(b) He yells and runs to the cellar with the other tenants.
(c) He yells for his parents while running around the streets.
(d) He walks outside and wanders the streets.
4. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
(a) Many beg him for bread.
(b) They resent him for not fighting in the front.
(c) They curse him for his crooked arm.
(d) Most ignore him.
5. Where does Lore's family run to hide when the end of the war is near?
(c) A farm in a valley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Lore and her siblings must cross a river with a broken bridge?
2. What does a woman offer Lore when Lore sits down very tired?
3. What attracts Lore to a particular tree?
4. How are Lore and the children able to get food when there is no money?
5. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Refugees come through Berlin and some speak of a brutal Soviet army the size of a continent. Others deny their truths and say it is not so. Why is it hard to know what is true and what is not? Who is right?
2. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
3. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
4. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
5. Describe Lore's role in the family.
6. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
7. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
8. Germany is in the midst of war and has been for several years. The second bombing that Helmut experiences is the worst so far. Describe the new changes and routine to which the inhabitants of Berlin must adapt.
9. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
10. On the first day of their trip to Oma's, Juri twists an ankle. How does this foreshadow the rest of the journey?
This section contains 1,528 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)