|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Helmut born?
2. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
(a) He meets his parents again after a long time.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He meets with Gladigau again after a long time.
(d) He is recently named Berlin's historian.
3. Who are Gladigau's most common clients?
(a) Whole families.
(b) Widows and orphaned children.
(c) Soldiers off to war or widowed women.
(d) Widowed men and soldiers.
4. Who does Helmut pose with in his smiling picture?
(b) The train station guard.
(c) A troop of soldiers.
(d) His parents.
5. What is Helmut's reaction during the second bombing?
(a) He walks outside and wanders the streets.
(b) He yells and runs to the cellar with the other tenants.
(c) He yells for his parents while running around the streets.
(d) He cries and stays in his bed until it is all over.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lore hear at the hideout when she listens out the window?
2. What is Tomas' tattoo most likely to be?
3. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
4. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
5. What is Lore's reaction to the twin's sprawl on the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
2. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
3. Refugees come through Berlin and some speak of a brutal Soviet army the size of a continent. Others deny their truths and say it is not so. Why is it hard to know what is true and what is not? Who is right?
4. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
5. Describe the pictures of Micha and his Opa. Why are these pictures special to Micha?
6. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
7. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
8. Micha is insistent in his search for the truth to the point that it breaks up his family and angers his girlfriend. Explain Micha's drive to discover the truth about his Opa.
9. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
10. Dilan and Micha are on a visit to Oma. What does that signify about Micha's relationship with his Oma?
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)