|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
(a) They resent him for not fighting in the front.
(b) Many beg him for bread.
(c) They curse him for his crooked arm.
(d) Most ignore him.
2. What bad sign occurs on the first day of the children's trip?
(a) Juri strains an ankle.
(b) The twins fight the whole way.
(c) Lore spills some of the food.
(d) Leisel will not carry her share.
3. Why does Lore bury the last of Vati's pictures?
(a) To keep them safe until she can return for them another time.
(b) Leisel keeps asking for them so Lore gets rid of them.
(c) She is fearful of the evidence.
(d) All the keepsakes are weighing her down.
4. How are Lore and the children able to get food when there is no money?
(a) They beg from farmers or dig up their potatoes.
(b) They buy food with coupons.
(c) They offer farmers labor in exchange for food.
(d) They are unable to get food for days.
5. What does Gladigau's neighborhood look like when Helmut finds it?
(a) It is on fire.
(b) There is no more neighborhood.
(c) It is unscathed.
(d) It looks worse than his.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
2. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
3. What major obstacle must Lore face on their way to Oma's?
4. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
5. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
2. As Lore and her siblings walk on, some seem suspicious of their backgrounds but people usually help them anyway. Why do some people look at Lore's family with disdain but eventually help?
3. Gladigau is first Papi's, then Helmut's employer. Gladigau does more than just pay his workers. How is Gladigau an important figure, especially to Helmut?
4. Helmut finally gets to join the army. What does this imply about the state of Germany at this point in the war?
5. Helmut is not strong or smart. Yet, there are indications that Helmut is clever about getting what he wants. Give an example of how Helmut shows his clever ways.
6. When Germany takes Paris, there is a large celebration. Mutti and Papi attend but they do not ask him to go. When they return they meet him at the train station and leave looking like a happy family. Explain Mutti and Papi's actions.
7. Mutti and Papi love their son, but there is a stubborn denial that there is anything wrong with Helmut. What does it finally take them to accept the truth and how do they handle it?
8. When Juri is injured, Lore is the first to carry him on her back. What does this indicate about Lore and her responsibilities?
9. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
10. Other than Lore, what do the children know of the current situation?
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)