|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Helmut's winters described?
(a) Sleepless overall.
(b) Cozy in the cellar.
(c) Lonely in the dark room.
(d) Cold at the train station.
2. What is Helmut's political stance in 1945 as described in Section 5?
(a) He is a secret communist.
(b) He follows nationalism.
(c) He is loyal to the Third Reich.
(d) He does not care anymore.
3. What does the old woman lie to Lore about to get money?
(a) Where the nearest Red Cross food line is.
(b) That paraffin will kill the lice.
(c) A way to get train tickets.
(d) Correct directions to Oma's.
4. How does Helmut feel as the war progresses?
5. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
(a) Most ignore him.
(b) They resent him for not fighting in the front.
(c) They curse him for his crooked arm.
(d) Many beg him for bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many siblings does Lore have?
2. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
3. What opportunity does Gladigau give Helmut?
4. What happens to Mutti and Papi after the second bombing?
5. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
Short Essay Questions
1. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
2. Refugees come through Berlin and some speak of a brutal Soviet army the size of a continent. Others deny their truths and say it is not so. Why is it hard to know what is true and what is not? Who is right?
3. What changes does Lore's family go through during the war?
4. Helmut has the opportunity to work as a soldier five years into the war. What are Helmut's thoughts and feelings towards being a soldier?
5. Gladigau is first Papi's, then Helmut's employer. Gladigau does more than just pay his workers. How is Gladigau an important figure, especially to Helmut?
6. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
7. Mutti and Papi love their son, but there is a stubborn denial that there is anything wrong with Helmut. What does it finally take them to accept the truth and how do they handle it?
8. When Lore is sure Tomas is asleep, she buries the last remaining keepsakes of Vati. Why does she do this when they seemed safe in her apron?
9. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
10. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
This section contains 1,517 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)