|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Lore and her siblings received by the first set of strangers they meet?
(a) With care and concern.
(c) With pity.
(d) With disdain.
2. What runs through Helmut's mind as he looks for his parents after the bombings?
(a) To not let his parents see him cry.
(b) The possibility that they might be dead.
(c) That they might be outside of Berlin.
(d) That he will work harder for them if he gets to see them again.
3. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
(a) She wants to stop and not go any further.
(b) She is grateful for her siblings' good behavior.
(c) She is tired of being the caretaker.
(d) She thinks it is not as bad as she assumed it would be.
4. Where are the refugees coming from?
(a) The Steppes.
(b) The eastern front.
(c) From Italy.
(d) The western front.
5. Where are the children when Lore sees the crowd by the tree?
(a) In the bread line.
(b) Already at the tree with the crowd.
(c) Waiting at a railway station.
(d) Playing with a young man they meet in the square.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mutti react when her children fight amongst each other?
2. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
3. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
4. What opportunity opens up for Papi?
5. What does Lore do with the badges of the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. The new train station guard does not like Helmut immediately. Only after knowing Helmut's current situation, does he help Helmut. Why does the train station guard act this way? What does that say about the bombings in Berlin?
2. As part of Papi's pay, Gladigau takes family portraits while Helmut grows up. How do the family portraits play a role in this story and what progression is observed from when Helmut is a newborn to the last individual photo?
3. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
4. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
5. Helmut is not strong or smart. Yet, there are indications that Helmut is clever about getting what he wants. Give an example of how Helmut shows his clever ways.
6. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
7. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
8. Mutti and Papi love their son, but there is a stubborn denial that there is anything wrong with Helmut. What does it finally take them to accept the truth and how do they handle it?
9. Helmut finally gets to join the army. What does this imply about the state of Germany at this point in the war?
10. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)