|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Helmut gain friends as a child?
(a) He is an extrovert.
(b) He takes photos of them.
(c) He buys sweets.
(d) He impresses them with his knowledge about trains.
2. Who are Gladigau's most common clients?
(a) Widowed men and soldiers.
(b) Whole families.
(c) Soldiers off to war or widowed women.
(d) Widows and orphaned children.
3. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
(a) Whether the gypsies deserved the beatings.
(b) Whether or not to evacuate Berlin.
(c) Whether Helmut should approach Papi about his feelings.
(d) Whether the Nazi party are good people.
4. How are Lore and her siblings received by the first set of strangers they meet?
(a) With care and concern.
(c) With pity.
(d) With disdain.
5. How does Helmut feel about the veterans at the train station?
(a) He recognizes that he is better off than they are.
(b) He is appalled by their actions.
(c) He is starstruck and tries to speak with them.
(d) He is jealous and hates them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mutti and Papi after the second bombing?
2. How does Helmut react to his photos of the gypsies?
3. What does Helmut notice about the train station?
4. What does Lore do with the badges of the party?
5. What is Helmut's new job in 1945?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
2. Helmut has the opportunity to work as a soldier five years into the war. What are Helmut's thoughts and feelings towards being a soldier?
3. When Germany takes Paris, there is a large celebration. Mutti and Papi attend but they do not ask him to go. When they return they meet him at the train station and leave looking like a happy family. Explain Mutti and Papi's actions.
4. When Juri is injured, Lore is the first to carry him on her back. What does this indicate about Lore and her responsibilities?
5. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
6. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
7. When Lore is sure Tomas is asleep, she buries the last remaining keepsakes of Vati. Why does she do this when they seemed safe in her apron?
8. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
9. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
10. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)