|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Helmut's new job in 1945?
(a) He is Berlin's historian.
(b) He digs trenches and piles rubble.
(c) He takes tickets from passengers at the train station.
(d) He is the owner of a photo shop.
2. How does Gladigau view Papi and his family?
(a) Gladigau respects their status.
(b) Gladigau views Papi strictly as an employee.
(c) Gladigau tries to help them achieve prosperity.
(d) Gladigau abhors the way Papi treats his family.
3. Where is Helmut born?
4. What opportunity does Gladigau give Helmut?
(a) He lets him document the rebuilding of the train station.
(b) He lets him document the emptying of the city.
(c) He gives Helmut the shop in his will.
(d) He leaves Helmut responsible when on vacation.
5. To what does Helmut devote one photo from each roll of film?
(a) A picture of his cellar.
(b) A picture of the train station.
(c) A picture of himself.
(d) A picture of his old neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Gladigau and Helmut first film with color?
2. What does the confrontation at the train station indicate about the Third Reich's concerns?
3. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
4. What does Lore do with the badges of the party?
5. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Third Reich is at its height when Helmut is a teenager. How does this age and Helmut's life affect his acceptance and loyalty to the Third Reich?
2. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
3. When Germany takes Paris, there is a large celebration. Mutti and Papi attend but they do not ask him to go. When they return they meet him at the train station and leave looking like a happy family. Explain Mutti and Papi's actions.
4. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
5. Mutti and Papi love their son, but there is a stubborn denial that there is anything wrong with Helmut. What does it finally take them to accept the truth and how do they handle it?
6. During one of Helmut's walks around the city, he encounters the SS collecting and trucking the gypsies away. What is Helmut's reaction to this event?
7. When Lore is sure Tomas is asleep, she buries the last remaining keepsakes of Vati. Why does she do this when they seemed safe in her apron?
8. Describe Lore's role in the family.
9. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
10. Helmut is not strong or smart. Yet, there are indications that Helmut is clever about getting what he wants. Give an example of how Helmut shows his clever ways.
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)