|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
(a) Immediately after the bombings take place.
(b) During the summer months.
(c) When the refugees and veterans fill the streets of Berlin again.
(d) During the winter months.
2. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
(a) The family cannot pay for a real doctor.
(b) Their meals are very meager.
(c) They are all underweight and pale.
(d) The description of "drawer-for-a-cot."
3. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
(a) The developed colors are never correct.
(b) Cameras are too bulky to shoot in secret.
(c) The cameras are heavy with too many parts.
(d) Pictures do not exactly match what the witness really sees.
4. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
(a) In an abandoned bakery.
(b) In Gladigau's shop.
(c) At the train station.
(d) In a cellar.
5. What does Lore hear at the hideout when she listens out the window?
(b) Tanks over rubble in the streets.
(d) Everything is quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Lore's nightmares about?
2. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
3. Where is Helmut born?
4. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
5. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
2. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
3. Micha visits Minsk specifically to learn about his Opa. However, Micha runs into trouble learning about his grandfather's past. What obstacles stand in Micha's way?
4. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
5. Helmut finally gets to join the army. What does this imply about the state of Germany at this point in the war?
6. In the short amount of time Micha spends in Belarus on his first visit, he receives various receptions of his German background. Compare and contrast Andrej's and his mother's reception of Micha to the grandfather at the museum's.
7. Tomas helps Lore and her family out of trouble and follows them. Why? What does he gain from the situation? Is he just being nice?
8. Helmut is cast to the side with the weak during physical education. Helmut tries to "prove himself" for whom and why?
9. At the beginning of the war efforts, Helmut is intent on joining the army. Despite his arm, he is adamant about joining. Why is the army so vital in Helmut's life?
10. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)