|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the children start to fight when Mutti speaks with the farmer?
(a) Juri hits Leisel for waking him up.
(b) Lore pinches Leisel for trying to open the door.
(c) The twins want candy.
(d) Peter wakes up crying.
2. What is Tomas' tattoo most likely to be?
(a) A cross.
(b) A Nazi marker.
(c) The Jewish marker from the Holocaust.
(d) A prisoner's marker.
3. What does Gladigau's neighborhood look like when Helmut finds it?
(a) It looks worse than his.
(b) It is unscathed.
(c) It is on fire.
(d) There is no more neighborhood.
4. Why does Lore bury the last of Vati's pictures?
(a) Leisel keeps asking for them so Lore gets rid of them.
(b) To keep them safe until she can return for them another time.
(c) All the keepsakes are weighing her down.
(d) She is fearful of the evidence.
5. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
(a) He is not a soldier.
(b) He takes bad photos.
(c) The way his mother looks at him.
(d) His sad expressions in family photos.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
2. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
3. Why is Mutti "clever" for having something on the table every night?
4. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
5. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
2. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
3. Lore learns to question the truth and learn more from strangers. What reality does Lore have about her parents?
4. Helmut is cast to the side with the weak during physical education. Helmut tries to "prove himself" for whom and why?
5. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
6. Germany is in the midst of war and has been for several years. The second bombing that Helmut experiences is the worst so far. Describe the new changes and routine to which the inhabitants of Berlin must adapt.
7. Dilan and Micha are on a visit to Oma. What does that signify about Micha's relationship with his Oma?
8. Describe Mutti's reaction to Jochen. Why does she react this way?
9. Other than Lore, what do the children know of the current situation?
10. Describe Micha's family dynamics.
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)