|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the farmer's son tell Lore?
(a) Vati is probably with the Russians.
(b) Vati and Mutti are evil.
(c) His father is going to evict her family.
(d) Mutti is trying to get rid of the children but no one wants them.
2. What part of Germany is Lore's family from?
3. How are Lore and the children able to get food when there is no money?
(a) They beg from farmers or dig up their potatoes.
(b) They are unable to get food for days.
(c) They buy food with coupons.
(d) They offer farmers labor in exchange for food.
4. What transaction occurs between Mutti and the visitors from the jeep?
(a) They both sign some papers.
(b) Mutti hands them money and jewelry.
(c) They search her home.
(d) They hand Mutti some food.
5. Where are the children when Lore sees the crowd by the tree?
(a) Waiting at a railway station.
(b) Already at the tree with the crowd.
(c) In the bread line.
(d) Playing with a young man they meet in the square.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mutti and Papi after the second bombing?
2. What images of veterans are described in Section 4?
3. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
4. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
5. How are Lore and her siblings received by the first set of strangers they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helmut is not strong or smart. Yet, there are indications that Helmut is clever about getting what he wants. Give an example of how Helmut shows his clever ways.
2. The new train station guard does not like Helmut immediately. Only after knowing Helmut's current situation, does he help Helmut. Why does the train station guard act this way? What does that say about the bombings in Berlin?
3. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
4. As part of Papi's pay, Gladigau takes family portraits while Helmut grows up. How do the family portraits play a role in this story and what progression is observed from when Helmut is a newborn to the last individual photo?
5. At the beginning of the war efforts, Helmut is intent on joining the army. Despite his arm, he is adamant about joining. Why is the army so vital in Helmut's life?
6. What changes does Lore's family go through during the war?
7. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
8. Helmut is cast to the side with the weak during physical education. Helmut tries to "prove himself" for whom and why?
9. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
10. When Germany takes Paris, there is a large celebration. Mutti and Papi attend but they do not ask him to go. When they return they meet him at the train station and leave looking like a happy family. Explain Mutti and Papi's actions.
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)