|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
(a) Whether or not to evacuate Berlin.
(b) Whether Helmut should approach Papi about his feelings.
(c) Whether the Nazi party are good people.
(d) Whether the gypsies deserved the beatings.
2. To what does Helmut devote one photo from each roll of film?
(a) A picture of his old neighborhood.
(b) A picture of the train station.
(c) A picture of himself.
(d) A picture of his cellar.
3. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
(a) In Gladigau's shop.
(b) In a cellar.
(c) In an abandoned bakery.
(d) At the train station.
4. Where is Gladigau after the second bombing?
(a) She is waiting for Helmut at the train station.
(b) She is assumed to have evacuated.
(c) She is assumed to have died.
(d) She is hiding in the dark room.
5. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
(a) He gains real employment at the train station.
(b) He shows Gladigau his documentation of Berlin.
(c) He opens the shop under his name.
(d) He is accepted by the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Papi best described?
2. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
3. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
4. How does Helmut consistently obtain food?
5. What are Lore's nightmares about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Other than Lore, what do the children know of the current situation?
2. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
3. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
4. When Juri is injured, Lore is the first to carry him on her back. What does this indicate about Lore and her responsibilities?
5. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
6. Helmut finally gets to join the army. What does this imply about the state of Germany at this point in the war?
7. When Lore is sure Tomas is asleep, she buries the last remaining keepsakes of Vati. Why does she do this when they seemed safe in her apron?
8. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
9. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
10. Mutti and Papi love their son, but there is a stubborn denial that there is anything wrong with Helmut. What does it finally take them to accept the truth and how do they handle it?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)