|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old woman lie to Lore about to get money?
(a) Correct directions to Oma's.
(b) A way to get train tickets.
(c) That paraffin will kill the lice.
(d) Where the nearest Red Cross food line is.
2. What runs through Helmut's mind as he looks for his parents after the bombings?
(a) That they might be outside of Berlin.
(b) The possibility that they might be dead.
(c) That he will work harder for them if he gets to see them again.
(d) To not let his parents see him cry.
3. What happens to Mutti and Papi after the second bombing?
(a) They are assumed dead.
(b) They are assumed to have evacuated.
(c) They are hiding in the cellar.
(d) They are stuck under the rubble.
4. How does Helmut consistently obtain food?
(a) He sweeps the train station in exchange for food.
(b) He begs when the bakery truck comes in every day.
(c) He visits the soup kitchen everyday.
(d) He takes photos in exchange for food.
5. Who commits suicide just days after Helmut's last photo?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Lore begin to trust Tomas?
2. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
3. What does Leisel do to anger Lore?
4. Where is Helmut born?
5. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
Short Essay Questions
1. The new train station guard does not like Helmut immediately. Only after knowing Helmut's current situation, does he help Helmut. Why does the train station guard act this way? What does that say about the bombings in Berlin?
2. Although Seiffert does not say much about the farmers, what are the implied feelings of the farmers?
3. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
4. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
5. Gladigau is first Papi's, then Helmut's employer. Gladigau does more than just pay his workers. How is Gladigau an important figure, especially to Helmut?
6. During one of Helmut's walks around the city, he encounters the SS collecting and trucking the gypsies away. What is Helmut's reaction to this event?
7. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
8. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
9. As Lore and her siblings walk on, some seem suspicious of their backgrounds but people usually help them anyway. Why do some people look at Lore's family with disdain but eventually help?
10. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
This section contains 1,499 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)