|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lore's role in the family?
(a) She is the second oldest, but has more responsiblities.
(b) She is the youngest girl in the family.
(c) She is the middle child of the family.
(d) She is the eldest and Mutti's caretaker.
2. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
(b) A young man they see at the shop and at the soup line.
(c) The old woman.
(d) Leisel, who is sick.
3. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
(a) Helmut takes bad pictures for Gladigau.
(b) She considers his quiet behavior rude.
(c) Because Helmut cannot join the army.
(d) Helmut is not very bright.
4. How does Helmut feel about the veterans at the train station?
(a) He is starstruck and tries to speak with them.
(b) He recognizes that he is better off than they are.
(c) He is jealous and hates them.
(d) He is appalled by their actions.
5. Who does Vati work for?
(a) A farmer.
(b) The German Intelligence Agency.
(c) The German army.
(d) The Nizkor Project.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do families feel towards Helmut before the bombing?
2. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
3. Who is the first to indicate Helmut's disability to him?
4. What happens to Helm's notebook at the train station?
5. To what does Helmut devote one photo from each roll of film?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
2. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
3. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
4. What changes does Lore's family go through during the war?
5. During one of Helmut's walks around the city, he encounters the SS collecting and trucking the gypsies away. What is Helmut's reaction to this event?
6. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
7. Refugees come through Berlin and some speak of a brutal Soviet army the size of a continent. Others deny their truths and say it is not so. Why is it hard to know what is true and what is not? Who is right?
8. Mutti tries to burn the badges but they do not burn all the way. Lore tries to throw them deep into the river, but buries them in the bushes when this does not work. What do the badges and the efforts to rid them symbolize?
9. As part of Papi's pay, Gladigau takes family portraits while Helmut grows up. How do the family portraits play a role in this story and what progression is observed from when Helmut is a newborn to the last individual photo?
10. Germany is in the midst of war and has been for several years. The second bombing that Helmut experiences is the worst so far. Describe the new changes and routine to which the inhabitants of Berlin must adapt.
This section contains 1,607 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)