|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings does Lore have?
2. What is Lore's role in the family?
(a) She is the middle child of the family.
(b) She is the second oldest, but has more responsiblities.
(c) She is the eldest and Mutti's caretaker.
(d) She is the youngest girl in the family.
3. What do patrons at the shop give instead of money for food?
(a) Any goods the man behind the counter needs.
4. What opportunity does Gladigau give Helmut?
(a) He gives Helmut the shop in his will.
(b) He lets him document the rebuilding of the train station.
(c) He leaves Helmut responsible when on vacation.
(d) He lets him document the emptying of the city.
5. What opportunity opens up for Papi?
(a) A full-time photographer posiiton.
(b) Papi works at the train station.
(c) Papi works for the army.
(d) A management position.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mutti bring back from town after days of being sick?
2. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
3. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
4. How does Mutti react when her children fight amongst each other?
5. What does the old woman lie to Lore about to get money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helmut has the opportunity to work as a soldier five years into the war. What are Helmut's thoughts and feelings towards being a soldier?
2. Gladigau is first Papi's, then Helmut's employer. Gladigau does more than just pay his workers. How is Gladigau an important figure, especially to Helmut?
3. What changes does Lore's family go through during the war?
4. Helmut catalogues Berlin through his snapshots. For months, Helmut sees the emptying of the city. When Gladigau interprets the pictures, he sees Berlin as the home it always is. What does Helmut learn about photography from this experience?
5. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
6. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
7. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
8. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
9. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
10. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)