|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old woman lie to Lore about to get money?
(a) Correct directions to Oma's.
(b) That paraffin will kill the lice.
(c) Where the nearest Red Cross food line is.
(d) A way to get train tickets.
2. Who are the people that are leaving the city and where are they going?
(a) Members of the Nazi party going to Switzerland.
(b) Regular German citizens moving to rural areas.
(c) Soldiers going to war and jobs outside the city.
(d) Jewish citizens going to prison camps.
3. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
(a) The local baker.
(b) Another man who has lost his family.
(c) A veteran.
(d) The train station guard.
4. What are Lore's nightmares about?
(a) Strangers blocking their way to Oma's.
(b) Americans taking their food.
(c) German Nazis taking her parents away.
(d) The end of the war is not really here.
5. What opportunity does Gladigau give Helmut?
(a) He leaves Helmut responsible when on vacation.
(b) He lets him document the rebuilding of the train station.
(c) He lets him document the emptying of the city.
(d) He gives Helmut the shop in his will.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep on their second night?
2. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
3. What images of veterans are described in Section 4?
4. What are usually Lore's first and last thoughts of the day?
5. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
Short Essay Questions
1. Other than Lore, what do the children know of the current situation?
2. Mutti tries to burn the badges but they do not burn all the way. Lore tries to throw them deep into the river, but buries them in the bushes when this does not work. What do the badges and the efforts to rid them symbolize?
3. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
4. As Lore and her siblings walk on, some seem suspicious of their backgrounds but people usually help them anyway. Why do some people look at Lore's family with disdain but eventually help?
5. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
6. Helmut is not strong or smart. Yet, there are indications that Helmut is clever about getting what he wants. Give an example of how Helmut shows his clever ways.
7. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
8. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
9. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
10. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)