|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bad sign occurs on the first day of the children's trip?
(a) The twins fight the whole way.
(b) Lore spills some of the food.
(c) Juri strains an ankle.
(d) Leisel will not carry her share.
2. Who comes to visit Mutti in a jeep?
(a) The French.
(c) The British.
3. Who are Gladigau's most common clients?
(a) Soldiers off to war or widowed women.
(b) Whole families.
(c) Widowed men and soldiers.
(d) Widows and orphaned children.
4. What thought is on everyone's mind while Lore's family is in hiding?
(a) The end of the war is near.
(b) The Russians are taking over Germany.
(c) Mutti and Vati are going to prison.
(d) Vati will be home soon.
5. What is Tomas' tattoo most likely to be?
(a) The Jewish marker from the Holocaust.
(b) A Nazi marker.
(c) A prisoner's marker.
(d) A cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
2. What occurs overnight at the church Lore and the children sleep in?
3. What is Helmut's political stance in 1945 as described in Section 5?
4. What do Gladigau and Helmut first film with color?
5. Who helps Helmut when he is confronted at the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Seiffert does not say much about the farmers, what are the implied feelings of the farmers?
2. The new train station guard does not like Helmut immediately. Only after knowing Helmut's current situation, does he help Helmut. Why does the train station guard act this way? What does that say about the bombings in Berlin?
3. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
4. Helmut catalogues Berlin through his snapshots. For months, Helmut sees the emptying of the city. When Gladigau interprets the pictures, he sees Berlin as the home it always is. What does Helmut learn about photography from this experience?
5. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
6. What changes does Lore's family go through during the war?
7. Mutti tries to burn the badges but they do not burn all the way. Lore tries to throw them deep into the river, but buries them in the bushes when this does not work. What do the badges and the efforts to rid them symbolize?
8. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
9. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
10. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)