|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dilemma does Lore run into by the second day out?
(a) Whether to stay on the road or walk through fields.
(b) Whether to ask for directions or avoid conversations with people.
(c) Whether to buy milk for Peter or bread for the rest of the children.
(d) Whether to continue to walk or buy train tickets.
2. What is the woman's reaction when Lore asks about the amount of food provided compared to the payment?
(a) She takes the food and gives Lore's payment back.
(b) She gets angry that Lore is unappreciative.
(c) She offers more food that she was hiding.
(d) She shrugs and later apologizes.
3. Where are the refugees coming from?
(a) The eastern front.
(b) From Italy.
(c) The western front.
(d) The Steppes.
4. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
5. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
(a) He is not a soldier.
(b) The way his mother looks at him.
(c) He takes bad photos.
(d) His sad expressions in family photos.
Short Answer Questions
1. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
2. What is Lore's role in the family?
3. What thought is on everyone's mind while Lore's family is in hiding?
4. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
5. How does Gladigau view Papi and his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the first day of their trip to Oma's, Juri twists an ankle. How does this foreshadow the rest of the journey?
2. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
3. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
4. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
5. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
6. Although Seiffert does not say much about the farmers, what are the implied feelings of the farmers?
7. As part of Papi's pay, Gladigau takes family portraits while Helmut grows up. How do the family portraits play a role in this story and what progression is observed from when Helmut is a newborn to the last individual photo?
8. Helmut is cast to the side with the weak during physical education. Helmut tries to "prove himself" for whom and why?
9. Mutti tries to burn the badges but they do not burn all the way. Lore tries to throw them deep into the river, but buries them in the bushes when this does not work. What do the badges and the efforts to rid them symbolize?
10. Mutti and Papi love their son, but there is a stubborn denial that there is anything wrong with Helmut. What does it finally take them to accept the truth and how do they handle it?
This section contains 1,604 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)