|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the refugees coming from?
(a) The western front.
(b) The eastern front.
(c) The Steppes.
(d) From Italy.
2. Who are the people that are leaving the city and where are they going?
(a) Regular German citizens moving to rural areas.
(b) Members of the Nazi party going to Switzerland.
(c) Jewish citizens going to prison camps.
(d) Soldiers going to war and jobs outside the city.
3. What are usually Lore's first and last thoughts of the day?
(a) The war's end.
(b) Mutti's health.
(d) The farmer's son.
4. How does Helmut consistently obtain food?
(a) He begs when the bakery truck comes in every day.
(b) He takes photos in exchange for food.
(c) He visits the soup kitchen everyday.
(d) He sweeps the train station in exchange for food.
5. What is the biggest difference to Lore between her hometown and her hideout?
(a) The people at the new place are welcoming compared to the people at home.
(b) The new place is much larger in size.
(c) The new place is intact and not bombed out everywhere.
(d) The new place seems busier than the old place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leisel do to anger Lore?
2. What part of Germany is Lore's family from?
3. What is Helmut's secret agenda regarding the photos he takes of Berlin?
4. What does the old woman lie to Lore about to get money?
5. What is Tomas' tattoo most likely to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mutti tries to burn the badges but they do not burn all the way. Lore tries to throw them deep into the river, but buries them in the bushes when this does not work. What do the badges and the efforts to rid them symbolize?
2. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
3. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
4. Refugees come through Berlin and some speak of a brutal Soviet army the size of a continent. Others deny their truths and say it is not so. Why is it hard to know what is true and what is not? Who is right?
5. Germany is in the midst of war and has been for several years. The second bombing that Helmut experiences is the worst so far. Describe the new changes and routine to which the inhabitants of Berlin must adapt.
6. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
7. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
8. Although Seiffert does not say much about the farmers, what are the implied feelings of the farmers?
9. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
10. What changes does Lore's family go through during the war?
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)