|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
(a) His sad expressions in family photos.
(b) He takes bad photos.
(c) He is not a soldier.
(d) The way his mother looks at him.
2. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
3. How does Helmut feel about the veterans at the train station?
(a) He recognizes that he is better off than they are.
(b) He is appalled by their actions.
(c) He is jealous and hates them.
(d) He is starstruck and tries to speak with them.
4. What is Helmut's political stance in 1945 as described in Section 5?
(a) He follows nationalism.
(b) He is a secret communist.
(c) He does not care anymore.
(d) He is loyal to the Third Reich.
5. Who is the first to indicate Helmut's disability to him?
(c) The sports teacher.
(d) The train station guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the woman's reaction when Lore asks about the amount of food provided compared to the payment?
2. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
3. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
4. What does the confrontation at the train station indicate about the Third Reich's concerns?
5. What attracts Lore to a particular tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
2. Germany is in the midst of war and has been for several years. The second bombing that Helmut experiences is the worst so far. Describe the new changes and routine to which the inhabitants of Berlin must adapt.
3. Tomas helps Lore and her family out of trouble and follows them. Why? What does he gain from the situation? Is he just being nice?
4. At the beginning of the war efforts, Helmut is intent on joining the army. Despite his arm, he is adamant about joining. Why is the army so vital in Helmut's life?
5. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
6. As Lore and her siblings walk on, some seem suspicious of their backgrounds but people usually help them anyway. Why do some people look at Lore's family with disdain but eventually help?
7. When Germany takes Paris, there is a large celebration. Mutti and Papi attend but they do not ask him to go. When they return they meet him at the train station and leave looking like a happy family. Explain Mutti and Papi's actions.
8. As part of Papi's pay, Gladigau takes family portraits while Helmut grows up. How do the family portraits play a role in this story and what progression is observed from when Helmut is a newborn to the last individual photo?
9. When Juri is injured, Lore is the first to carry him on her back. What does this indicate about Lore and her responsibilities?
10. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)