|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lore's family run to hide when the end of the war is near?
(b) A farm in a valley.
2. What is Lore's role in the family?
(a) She is the middle child of the family.
(b) She is the youngest girl in the family.
(c) She is the eldest and Mutti's caretaker.
(d) She is the second oldest, but has more responsiblities.
3. How does the reader know the woman who helps Lore is also in bad shape?
(a) There is no soap or extra food.
(b) She lives in a shed.
(c) The food she offers is spoiled.
(d) The blankets she lends them are worn through.
4. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
(a) A missing pectoral muscle.
(b) A missing back muscle.
(c) A deformed shoulder joint.
(d) A shortened arm.
5. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
(a) Their Nazi affiliation.
(b) Their final destination.
(c) That Mutti and Vati are not with them.
(d) Their real names.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Gladigau after the second bombing?
2. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
3. How does Helmut gain friends as a child?
4. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
5. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Third Reich is at its height when Helmut is a teenager. How does this age and Helmut's life affect his acceptance and loyalty to the Third Reich?
2. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
3. When Germany takes Paris, there is a large celebration. Mutti and Papi attend but they do not ask him to go. When they return they meet him at the train station and leave looking like a happy family. Explain Mutti and Papi's actions.
4. Germany is in the midst of war and has been for several years. The second bombing that Helmut experiences is the worst so far. Describe the new changes and routine to which the inhabitants of Berlin must adapt.
5. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
6. Other than Lore, what do the children know of the current situation?
7. The new train station guard does not like Helmut immediately. Only after knowing Helmut's current situation, does he help Helmut. Why does the train station guard act this way? What does that say about the bombings in Berlin?
8. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
9. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
10. As Lore and her siblings walk on, some seem suspicious of their backgrounds but people usually help them anyway. Why do some people look at Lore's family with disdain but eventually help?
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)