|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
(a) Mutti and Papi are still proud of his work.
(b) He may be strong enough to be a soldier.
(c) His arm is strong but his body is weak.
(d) It seems as empty there as in the city.
2. What will become of Berlin?
(a) It will be under Soviet rule.
(b) It will be autonomous.
(c) It will be divided.
(d) It will be rebuilt to original plans.
3. Who is the first to indicate Helmut's disability to him?
(b) The train station guard.
(c) The sports teacher.
4. Which of Helmut's family portraits does Papi usually prefer?
(a) Ones that include Helmut smiling.
(b) Ones that show the entire family smiling and proud.
(c) Ones that hide Helmut's birth defect.
(d) Ones that include Helmut in uniform.
5. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
(a) He meets with Gladigau again after a long time.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He meets his parents again after a long time.
(d) He is recently named Berlin's historian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What runs through Helmut's mind as he looks for his parents after the bombings?
2. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
3. What happens to Helmut's feelings about being a soldier in Section 4?
4. How does Helmut feel as the war progresses?
5. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helmut catalogues Berlin through his snapshots. For months, Helmut sees the emptying of the city. When Gladigau interprets the pictures, he sees Berlin as the home it always is. What does Helmut learn about photography from this experience?
2. Gladigau is first Papi's, then Helmut's employer. Gladigau does more than just pay his workers. How is Gladigau an important figure, especially to Helmut?
3. Other than Lore, what do the children know of the current situation?
4. Helmut finally gets to join the army. What does this imply about the state of Germany at this point in the war?
5. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
6. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
7. Refugees come through Berlin and some speak of a brutal Soviet army the size of a continent. Others deny their truths and say it is not so. Why is it hard to know what is true and what is not? Who is right?
8. When Juri is injured, Lore is the first to carry him on her back. What does this indicate about Lore and her responsibilities?
9. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
10. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)