|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
(a) A man in a noose.
(b) A burning cross.
(c) Swastika banners on fire.
(d) Piles of starved, naked people.
2. Why does the farmer's wife ask if Lore's mother is still around?
(a) Mutti has gone to find Vati.
(b) Mutti has possibly died.
(c) Mutti has been captured by the Nazis.
(d) Mutti has possibly gone with the Americans.
3. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
(a) Many beg him for bread.
(b) They curse him for his crooked arm.
(c) Most ignore him.
(d) They resent him for not fighting in the front.
4. How does Gladigau view Papi and his family?
(a) Gladigau tries to help them achieve prosperity.
(b) Gladigau views Papi strictly as an employee.
(c) Gladigau abhors the way Papi treats his family.
(d) Gladigau respects their status.
5. What does Lore have to give up to get more food and shelter for a night?
(a) The rest of their money.
(b) Mutti's earrings.
(c) Mutti's wedding ring.
(d) Their twins' extra clothing and boots.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep on their second night?
2. What happens when Lore and her siblings must cross a river with a broken bridge?
3. What changes described in Section 3 are occurring in Germany's economy?
4. How does Helmut react to his photos of the gypsies?
5. Who commits suicide just days after Helmut's last photo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
2. Refugees come through Berlin and some speak of a brutal Soviet army the size of a continent. Others deny their truths and say it is not so. Why is it hard to know what is true and what is not? Who is right?
3. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
4. As Lore and her siblings walk on, some seem suspicious of their backgrounds but people usually help them anyway. Why do some people look at Lore's family with disdain but eventually help?
5. The new train station guard does not like Helmut immediately. Only after knowing Helmut's current situation, does he help Helmut. Why does the train station guard act this way? What does that say about the bombings in Berlin?
6. When Lore is sure Tomas is asleep, she buries the last remaining keepsakes of Vati. Why does she do this when they seemed safe in her apron?
7. Describe Lore's role in the family.
8. When Juri is injured, Lore is the first to carry him on her back. What does this indicate about Lore and her responsibilities?
9. Why is Lore's family moving around and hiding in the farm valley? From whom are they hiding?
10. On the first day of their trip to Oma's, Juri twists an ankle. How does this foreshadow the rest of the journey?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)