|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
(a) Mutti and Papi are still proud of his work.
(b) It seems as empty there as in the city.
(c) His arm is strong but his body is weak.
(d) He may be strong enough to be a soldier.
2. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
(a) The description of "drawer-for-a-cot."
(b) They are all underweight and pale.
(c) Their meals are very meager.
(d) The family cannot pay for a real doctor.
3. Who does Helmut pose with in his smiling picture?
(a) His parents.
(b) A troop of soldiers.
(c) The train station guard.
4. What does the farmer's son tell Lore?
(a) Mutti is trying to get rid of the children but no one wants them.
(b) His father is going to evict her family.
(c) Vati and Mutti are evil.
(d) Vati is probably with the Russians.
5. What is Tomas' tattoo most likely to be?
(a) The Jewish marker from the Holocaust.
(b) A cross.
(c) A prisoner's marker.
(d) A Nazi marker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will become of Berlin?
2. What happens to Helm's notebook at the train station?
3. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
4. What does a woman offer Lore when Lore sits down very tired?
5. What part of Germany is Lore's family from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helmut finally gets to join the army. What does this imply about the state of Germany at this point in the war?
2. When Germany takes Paris, there is a large celebration. Mutti and Papi attend but they do not ask him to go. When they return they meet him at the train station and leave looking like a happy family. Explain Mutti and Papi's actions.
3. Other than Lore, what do the children know of the current situation?
4. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
5. When the family eats their soup, Juri shyly offers his bread to Tomas. What does this indicate about Juri and his family?
6. Gladigau is first Papi's, then Helmut's employer. Gladigau does more than just pay his workers. How is Gladigau an important figure, especially to Helmut?
7. When Lore is sure Tomas is asleep, she buries the last remaining keepsakes of Vati. Why does she do this when they seemed safe in her apron?
8. Helmut has the opportunity to work as a soldier five years into the war. What are Helmut's thoughts and feelings towards being a soldier?
9. Although Seiffert does not say much about the farmers, what are the implied feelings of the farmers?
10. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)