|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Helm's notebook at the train station?
(a) It gets wet and ruined in the rain.
(b) It gets lost in the wind and ruined by a passing train.
(c) The train station guard tells him to put it away.
(d) It is confiscated by a soldier.
2. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
(a) Scolds them for being cowards.
(b) Begs them for money.
(c) Spews out Nazi speeches and logic.
(d) Argues that they are liars.
3. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
(a) That Mutti and Vati are not with them.
(b) Their Nazi affiliation.
(c) Their final destination.
(d) Their real names.
4. Who commits suicide just days after Helmut's last photo?
5. What does Mutti bring back from town after days of being sick?
(a) News of the Fürher's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mutti "clever" for having something on the table every night?
2. What major obstacle must Lore face on their way to Oma's?
3. What is Helmut's new job in 1945?
4. How is Helmut's ability as a darkroom technician described?
5. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Lore's family go through during the war?
2. Tomas helps Lore and her family out of trouble and follows them. Why? What does he gain from the situation? Is he just being nice?
3. During one of Helmut's walks around the city, he encounters the SS collecting and trucking the gypsies away. What is Helmut's reaction to this event?
4. Helmut catalogues Berlin through his snapshots. For months, Helmut sees the emptying of the city. When Gladigau interprets the pictures, he sees Berlin as the home it always is. What does Helmut learn about photography from this experience?
5. Helmut is not strong or smart. Yet, there are indications that Helmut is clever about getting what he wants. Give an example of how Helmut shows his clever ways.
6. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
7. On the first day of their trip to Oma's, Juri twists an ankle. How does this foreshadow the rest of the journey?
8. Helmut is cast to the side with the weak during physical education. Helmut tries to "prove himself" for whom and why?
9. Germany attacks its neighbors and gains more lands that are prosperous. Neither Helmut nor anyone in his neighborhood seems to argue the Third Reich's actions. In fact, many boys are signing up to fight the war. Why would some Germans welcome the war and the push into other countries?
10. Mutti and Papi love their son, but there is a stubborn denial that there is anything wrong with Helmut. What does it finally take them to accept the truth and how do they handle it?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)