|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
2. Where does Helmut find safety after the second bombing is over?
(a) A bakery.
(b) The train station.
(c) The dark room.
(d) Gladigau's apartment.
3. What attracts Lore to a particular tree?
(a) Crowds of people looking at something.
(b) Two nice looking women to approach for directions.
(c) The large shade it provides in the heat.
(d) A "Wanted" picture of Vati.
4. What major obstacle must Lore face on their way to Oma's?
(a) There is no post or trains available.
(b) There is no money for food.
(c) They cannot remember where Oma's house is.
(d) It is winter season and bitterly cold.
5. Who provides food rations throughout the German area that Lore and her siblings are traveling through?
(a) It is autocratic at this stage.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Nazi party.
(d) The German government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
2. What does Lore do with the badges of the party?
3. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
4. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep on their second night?
5. What does Helmut notice about the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the farmer's son taunts Lore and pushes her down, the twins throw rocks at him. What does this show about the children?
2. Helmut notices the city is emptying. More people are leaving on the trains and less are returning. This is a mystery and Seiffert never explicitly offers an explanation. Why not?
3. Helmut is not strong or smart. Yet, there are indications that Helmut is clever about getting what he wants. Give an example of how Helmut shows his clever ways.
4. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
5. Helmut does not ever speak of Germany's purge of its own population. Does Helmut, as a common civilian, know about the prison camps in other parts of Germany? Does it make a difference in his beliefs?
6. Germany is in the midst of war and has been for several years. The second bombing that Helmut experiences is the worst so far. Describe the new changes and routine to which the inhabitants of Berlin must adapt.
7. Gladigau is first Papi's, then Helmut's employer. Gladigau does more than just pay his workers. How is Gladigau an important figure, especially to Helmut?
8. Refugees come through Berlin and some speak of a brutal Soviet army the size of a continent. Others deny their truths and say it is not so. Why is it hard to know what is true and what is not? Who is right?
9. During one of Helmut's walks around the city, he encounters the SS collecting and trucking the gypsies away. What is Helmut's reaction to this event?
10. Mutti tries to burn the badges but they do not burn all the way. Lore tries to throw them deep into the river, but buries them in the bushes when this does not work. What do the badges and the efforts to rid them symbolize?
This section contains 1,652 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)