|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What thought is on everyone's mind while Lore's family is in hiding?
(a) The Russians are taking over Germany.
(b) Vati will be home soon.
(c) The end of the war is near.
(d) Mutti and Vati are going to prison.
2. Where is Helmut born?
3. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
(a) A burning cross.
(b) Swastika banners on fire.
(c) A man in a noose.
(d) Piles of starved, naked people.
4. Which of Helmut's family portraits does Papi usually prefer?
(a) Ones that hide Helmut's birth defect.
(b) Ones that include Helmut in uniform.
(c) Ones that include Helmut smiling.
(d) Ones that show the entire family smiling and proud.
5. What do patrons at the shop give instead of money for food?
(b) Any goods the man behind the counter needs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What images of veterans are described in Section 4?
2. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
3. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
4. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
5. Who does Vati work for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Helmut loses his parents and Gladigau is away. Helmut is often cold, hungry, and completely alone. How does he feel about the war at this stage?
2. Germany is in the midst of war and has been for several years. The second bombing that Helmut experiences is the worst so far. Describe the new changes and routine to which the inhabitants of Berlin must adapt.
3. Lore asks the woman for more food for her siblings but the woman initially responds with a look of possible fear. Why might the woman be afraid?
4. As part of Papi's pay, Gladigau takes family portraits while Helmut grows up. How do the family portraits play a role in this story and what progression is observed from when Helmut is a newborn to the last individual photo?
5. During one of Helmut's walks around the city, he encounters the SS collecting and trucking the gypsies away. What is Helmut's reaction to this event?
6. When the Americans question Lore, Tomas shows up with papers and tells them they are a family. What do the papers show and why does Seiffert mention a tattoo on Tomas' arm?
7. At the beginning of the war efforts, Helmut is intent on joining the army. Despite his arm, he is adamant about joining. Why is the army so vital in Helmut's life?
8. When Lore offers to buy food from the woman who gives her bread and milk, she asks if Lore has anything other than money. Why does the woman not prefer money?
9. The new train station guard does not like Helmut immediately. Only after knowing Helmut's current situation, does he help Helmut. Why does the train station guard act this way? What does that say about the bombings in Berlin?
10. At night, when the bombs are close, Helmut shouts at the noise. Why does he feel this need? What does it do for him?
This section contains 1,576 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)