|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
(a) A lifetime of being ostracized.
(b) Racism aimed at her.
(c) Her children's early death.
(d) The inability to have children.
2. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
(a) Eerily calm.
(c) Confusion over how the children will get on the train.
3. What are the conversations like between Micha and Luise?
(a) They are on the same page about Opa.
(b) Their conversations turn into arguments about their family's reaction to Opa.
(c) They often talk about Micha's new baby to avoid confrontation.
(d) They are forced because of Mina.
4. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
(a) She reads off a man's newspaper on the tram.
(b) Oma tells her the truth.
(c) From two women on the tram.
(d) Lore asks Tomas about them.
5. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
(c) His Oma.
6. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
(a) Mina does not care about the German culture.
(b) Mina does not consider herself German.
(c) Micha believes she considers herself Turkish first.
(d) Mina is part Jewish.
7. Whose grave does Micha visit?
8. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
(a) Tomas plans to leave without saying goodbye.
(b) Tomas killed a man for the papers.
(c) Tomas knows where Vati is.
(d) He stole the papers from a dead Jew.
9. What does Kolesnik confess to Micha?
(a) He and Micha's Opa killed Jews together.
(b) His Opa committed suicide because of his actions.
(c) He helped kill Jews during the war.
(d) He nearly killed himself for his actions.
10. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
11. Where do Lore and her siblings presume Vati to be?
(a) In another country.
(b) In prison.
(c) With Mutti in a camp.
(d) Hiding in a rural area.
12. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
(a) The way the children learn about the occupations.
(b) He sees hints of racism in the school curriculum.
(c) That his school does not teach about the labor camps.
(d) They cover the Nazi regime as only a small part of history.
13. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
(d) The neighbor next door.
14. What are Tomas' feelings after Jochen dies?
(a) He wants to seek revenge.
(b) He wishes he never met the family.
(c) He wants to separate from the family.
(d) He feels he could have prevented it.
15. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
(a) They encourage the truth to be revealed.
(b) They do not care so long as they are not involved.
(c) They want him to stop.
(d) They want to know but do not want to talk about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
2. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
3. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
4. How does Micha feel about himself?
5. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)