|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
(a) Stays in a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(b) Sleeps at an unused train station.
(c) Lives in an abandoned house.
(d) Stays in a church.
2. What news does Mutti give about Vati in Section 6?
(a) He is safe.
(b) He is in a Russian prison.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is out of contact.
3. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
(a) That the pain stops with his generation.
(b) That Micha learns the truth and reveal it to Mutti.
(c) For all to deny the family's involvement in World War II.
(d) That the truth be told throughout history so all can learn from it.
4. Where do Lore and her siblings presume Vati to be?
(a) In prison.
(b) In another country.
(c) With Mutti in a camp.
(d) Hiding in a rural area.
5. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
(a) Eerily calm.
(b) Confusion over how the children will get on the train.
6. What does Kolesnik confess to Micha?
(a) He helped kill Jews during the war.
(b) He and Micha's Opa killed Jews together.
(c) His Opa committed suicide because of his actions.
(d) He nearly killed himself for his actions.
7. How does Micha confuse Oma?
(a) Micha takes her to a new place to talk.
(b) Micha confronts her about her history.
(c) Micha visits on a non-regular day.
(d) Micha talks to her about Opa as if he is a stranger.
8. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
(a) The ferry dock.
(b) A nearby church.
(c) In an abandoned building.
(d) In a Red Cross refugee shelter.
9. What does Micha like about his pictures of Opa?
(a) Opa is always looking at Micha.
(b) Opa looks like he has a secret.
(c) Opa carries a mysterious facial expression.
(d) Opa has a very genuine smile.
10. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
(a) There are signs all over the city.
(b) He asks a mechanic standing nearby.
(c) He hires a personal tour guide.
(d) The red dots on his map.
11. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
(a) From two women on the tram.
(b) Lore asks Tomas about them.
(c) Oma tells her the truth.
(d) She reads off a man's newspaper on the tram.
12. What feelings does Micha have for Jozef?
(a) Anger for his past.
(b) Respect for his ability to tell the truth.
(d) Sadness for what he went through.
13. Why does Leisel punch Lore?
(a) Leisel is angry that Mutti is not with Oma.
(b) Lore gives the last dips of sugar to Juri.
(c) Leisel discovers Lore lied about Vati.
(d) Lore tells Tomas he should leave.
14. Whose grave does Micha visit?
15. How does Micha feel about himself?
(a) He is lost in his search.
(b) He is lucky to know Opa as a grandfather first.
(c) He feels brave for his search.
(d) He is a coward.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kolesnik's role during the war?
2. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
3. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
4. Who else wants to know the truth if Micha finds it?
5. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)