|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
(a) That his family is not responsible for Opa's actions.
(b) That Opa is still the same grandfather.
(c) That Opa killed Jews in the war.
(d) That his Oma still loves him.
2. How does Micha feel about himself?
(a) He is a coward.
(b) He is lucky to know Opa as a grandfather first.
(c) He feels brave for his search.
(d) He is lost in his search.
3. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(b) It involves a lot of drinking.
(c) Most walk away back into their barracks.
(d) They smoke and laugh.
4. What does Kolesnik confess to Micha?
(a) He and Micha's Opa killed Jews together.
(b) He helped kill Jews during the war.
(c) His Opa committed suicide because of his actions.
(d) He nearly killed himself for his actions.
5. What indicates the closeness between Lore's family and Tomas?
(a) Tomas carries Peter as often as Lore.
(b) Juri sleeps in Tomas' lap on the train.
(c) Leisel and Juri fight to sleep next to Tomas.
(d) Tomas and Lore always sleep with their arms touching.
6. Where does Micha stay on his last visit to Opa's old World War II station?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) His Oma's old house.
(c) Jozef's home.
7. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
(a) Mutti is sad but does not cry.
(b) Mutti sheds tears on her response letter.
(c) Mutti acknowledges it as fact but nothing more.
8. How does Micha confuse Oma?
(a) Micha takes her to a new place to talk.
(b) Micha visits on a non-regular day.
(c) Micha confronts her about her history.
(d) Micha talks to her about Opa as if he is a stranger.
9. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
(a) Oma recognizes Juri first.
(b) Tomas finds Oma and brings Lore back.
(c) The Meyers see Lore searching and ask if she needs help.
(d) Wiebke recognizes Lore.
10. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
(a) Leisel's tears.
(b) Juri's cries.
(c) A soldier coming towards them.
(d) The look in Lore's eyes.
11. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
(a) They have darkened under the sun during their trip.
(b) They look healthier than they feel.
(c) No one is smiling.
(d) They look like thin and scraggly strangers.
12. Who is at the center of Micha's mental family tree?
(a) His Mutti.
(b) His Vati.
(c) His Opa.
(d) His Oma.
13. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
(a) Tomas knows where Vati is.
(b) He stole the papers from a dead Jew.
(c) Tomas killed a man for the papers.
(d) Tomas plans to leave without saying goodbye.
14. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
(a) That he is in search of Opa's true background.
(b) That he is looking for his Opa.
(c) That he is part Jewish.
(d) That he is a schoolteacher.
15. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
(a) They cover the Nazi regime as only a small part of history.
(b) That his school does not teach about the labor camps.
(c) He sees hints of racism in the school curriculum.
(d) The way the children learn about the occupations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
2. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
3. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
4. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
5. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)