|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
(a) He asks a mechanic standing nearby.
(b) The red dots on his map.
(c) There are signs all over the city.
(d) He hires a personal tour guide.
2. Micha and Jozef's first conversation can be described as ____________.
3. What indicates the closeness between Lore's family and Tomas?
(a) Tomas carries Peter as often as Lore.
(b) Tomas and Lore always sleep with their arms touching.
(c) Juri sleeps in Tomas' lap on the train.
(d) Leisel and Juri fight to sleep next to Tomas.
4. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
(b) His family.
(d) The innocent people Opa killed.
5. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
(a) They look like thin and scraggly strangers.
(b) They look healthier than they feel.
(c) They have darkened under the sun during their trip.
(d) No one is smiling.
6. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
(a) Wiebke tells her it is shameful.
(b) Oma is suspicious of her whereabouts.
(c) His angry response to her.
(d) Lore discovers his secret and is appalled.
7. What does Elena show Micha?
(a) The site of the Jewish killings.
(b) The grave of her brother, who was also an SS man.
(c) Photos of his Opa during the war.
(d) Jozef's old photos.
8. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
(a) That his school does not teach about the labor camps.
(b) The way the children learn about the occupations.
(c) They cover the Nazi regime as only a small part of history.
(d) He sees hints of racism in the school curriculum.
9. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
(b) She believes they are in the right.
(c) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
(d) She believes they are still good people.
10. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
(a) Photos of Mina and Dilan.
(b) Photos of his daughter.
(c) Photos of Elena and Jozef.
(d) Photos of his Oma and Opa.
11. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
(a) Racism aimed at her.
(b) A lifetime of being ostracized.
(c) Her children's early death.
(d) The inability to have children.
12. What confuses Lore when they are close to Oma's?
(a) She cannot recognize the city with so many bombed areas.
(b) Tomas tells Lore that Oma may be in prison too.
(c) Oma is said to not live there anymore.
(d) No one seems to recognize Oma's name.
13. How does Micha confuse Oma?
(a) Micha takes her to a new place to talk.
(b) Micha confronts her about her history.
(c) Micha visits on a non-regular day.
(d) Micha talks to her about Opa as if he is a stranger.
14. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
(a) There is no space on the train.
(b) A soldier with a gun.
(c) A crazy man with a brick running at them.
(d) The train is moving while passengers are boarding.
15. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
(a) Shoveling piles of ashes.
(b) They are in battle on the war front.
(c) Smoking and laughing in front of dead bodies.
(d) Laughing and playing with their children like his Opa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
2. What does Micha do in order to distract himself from Opa's past?
3. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
4. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
5. How does Mina feel about Micha's determination?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)