|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
(a) They look like thin and scraggly strangers.
(b) No one is smiling.
(c) They look healthier than they feel.
(d) They have darkened under the sun during their trip.
2. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
(a) That his family is not responsible for Opa's actions.
(b) That Opa is still the same grandfather.
(c) That his Oma still loves him.
(d) That Opa killed Jews in the war.
3. How does Mina feel about Micha's determination?
(a) Angry that he is not focusing on the present.
(b) Supportive of his passion.
(c) Mina does not mind as long as the family remains together.
(d) She is hesistant about what he may find.
4. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
5. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
(a) A crazy man with a brick running at them.
(b) A soldier with a gun.
(c) The train is moving while passengers are boarding.
(d) There is no space on the train.
6. Whose grave does Micha visit?
7. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
(a) A nearby church.
(b) In a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(c) The ferry dock.
(d) In an abandoned building.
8. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
(a) Tomas knows where Vati is.
(b) He stole the papers from a dead Jew.
(c) Tomas killed a man for the papers.
(d) Tomas plans to leave without saying goodbye.
9. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
(b) Opa is part Jewish.
(c) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
(d) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
10. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
(a) They cover the Nazi regime as only a small part of history.
(b) That his school does not teach about the labor camps.
(c) He sees hints of racism in the school curriculum.
(d) The way the children learn about the occupations.
11. What indicates the closeness between Lore's family and Tomas?
(a) Tomas and Lore always sleep with their arms touching.
(b) Juri sleeps in Tomas' lap on the train.
(c) Tomas carries Peter as often as Lore.
(d) Leisel and Juri fight to sleep next to Tomas.
12. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
(a) He shuts down and does not say anything.
(b) He denies knowing anything.
(c) He is sympathetic.
(d) He gets angry.
13. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
(a) They encourage the truth to be revealed.
(b) They do not care so long as they are not involved.
(c) They want him to stop.
(d) They want to know but do not want to talk about it.
14. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
(b) The woman's grandfather from the museum.
15. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
(b) His Oma.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
2. Why is Elena angry with Micha?
3. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
4. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
5. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)