|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Oma's demeanor like?
(d) Constant showers of hugs and kisses.
2. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
(a) Micha believes she considers herself Turkish first.
(b) Mina is part Jewish.
(c) Mina does not care about the German culture.
(d) Mina does not consider herself German.
3. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
(b) She believes they are in the right.
(c) She believes they are still good people.
(d) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
4. Whose grave does Micha visit?
5. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
(a) That he is looking for his Opa.
(b) That he is in search of Opa's true background.
(c) That he is a schoolteacher.
(d) That he is part Jewish.
6. Where does Micha go to search the truth about his Opa?
7. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
(a) Photos of his daughter.
(b) Photos of Mina and Dilan.
(c) Photos of Elena and Jozef.
(d) Photos of his Oma and Opa.
8. Who comforts Lore as she cries in bed?
9. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
(a) Lore plans to leave with Tomas.
(b) They sent an extra letter to Mutti.
(c) Tomas, their secret brother.
(d) They stole, lied, and cheated on their way to Oma's.
10. What is Kolesnik's role during the war?
(a) He burned the piles of bodies.
(b) Waffen-SS man.
(c) He assigned numbers and letters to the Jews.
11. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
(a) Burns them to ashes.
(b) Smells them.
(c) Washes them.
(d) Cuts off a piece for her to keep.
12. What condition is Oma's house in?
(a) The backyard is gone but most of the house remains.
(b) The house is literally gone and burnt down.
(c) Mostly intact with some bricks missing.
(d) Mostly bombed out with parts of the first floor remaining.
13. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) They smoke and laugh.
(b) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(c) It involves a lot of drinking.
(d) Most walk away back into their barracks.
14. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
(a) They look healthier than they feel.
(b) They look like thin and scraggly strangers.
(c) No one is smiling.
(d) They have darkened under the sun during their trip.
15. Why does Leisel punch Lore?
(a) Lore gives the last dips of sugar to Juri.
(b) Leisel discovers Lore lied about Vati.
(c) Leisel is angry that Mutti is not with Oma.
(d) Lore tells Tomas he should leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
2. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
3. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
4. What feelings does Micha have for Jozef?
5. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)