|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
(a) Shoveling piles of ashes.
(b) They are in battle on the war front.
(c) Smoking and laughing in front of dead bodies.
(d) Laughing and playing with their children like his Opa.
2. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
(a) For all to deny the family's involvement in World War II.
(b) That the truth be told throughout history so all can learn from it.
(c) That the pain stops with his generation.
(d) That Micha learns the truth and reveal it to Mutti.
3. Who else wants to know the truth if Micha finds it?
4. What is Micha's relationship like with his Oma as he learns more about his Opa?
(a) He refuses to speak with her.
(b) He feels closer to her.
(c) He pities her.
(d) He is angry she never told him the truth.
5. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
(a) Photos of Mina and Dilan.
(b) Photos of his Oma and Opa.
(c) Photos of his daughter.
(d) Photos of Elena and Jozef.
6. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
(a) Leisel's tears.
(b) The look in Lore's eyes.
(c) A soldier coming towards them.
(d) Juri's cries.
7. What do the children learn about Mutti?
(a) She remains healthy at the camp.
(b) Mutti wil be released soon.
(c) She is starving at the camp.
(d) Mutti is in a hard labor camp.
8. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
(a) Oma is suspicious of her whereabouts.
(b) Lore discovers his secret and is appalled.
(c) Wiebke tells her it is shameful.
(d) His angry response to her.
9. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
(a) Stays in a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(b) Stays in a church.
(c) Sleeps at an unused train station.
(d) Lives in an abandoned house.
10. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
(a) Eerily calm.
(b) Confusion over how the children will get on the train.
11. Whose grave does Micha visit?
12. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
(b) Opa is part Jewish.
(c) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
(d) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
13. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
(a) He asks a mechanic standing nearby.
(b) The red dots on his map.
(c) There are signs all over the city.
(d) He hires a personal tour guide.
14. What sign of trouble does Tomas see when Lore and her siblings attempt to get on the train?
(a) There is no space on the train.
(b) A soldier with a gun.
(c) A crazy man with a brick running at them.
(d) The train is moving while passengers are boarding.
15. How does Micha confuse Oma?
(a) Micha confronts her about her history.
(b) Micha visits on a non-regular day.
(c) Micha takes her to a new place to talk.
(d) Micha talks to her about Opa as if he is a stranger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Elena angry with Micha?
2. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
3. Where does Micha stay on his last visit to Opa's old World War II station?
4. What confuses Lore when they are close to Oma's?
5. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)