|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
(a) The ferry dock.
(b) In an abandoned building.
(c) In a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(d) A nearby church.
2. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
(a) They have darkened under the sun during their trip.
(b) They look healthier than they feel.
(c) No one is smiling.
(d) They look like thin and scraggly strangers.
3. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
(a) That his Oma still loves him.
(b) That his family is not responsible for Opa's actions.
(c) That Opa is still the same grandfather.
(d) That Opa killed Jews in the war.
4. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
(a) That the pain stops with his generation.
(b) For all to deny the family's involvement in World War II.
(c) That Micha learns the truth and reveal it to Mutti.
(d) That the truth be told throughout history so all can learn from it.
5. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
(a) Lives in an abandoned house.
(b) Stays in a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(c) Stays in a church.
(d) Sleeps at an unused train station.
6. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa is part Jewish.
(b) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
(c) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
(d) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
7. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
(a) The inability to have children.
(b) Racism aimed at her.
(c) Her children's early death.
(d) A lifetime of being ostracized.
8. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He is sympathetic.
(c) He denies knowing anything.
(d) He shuts down and does not say anything.
9. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
10. What does Elena show Micha?
(a) The grave of her brother, who was also an SS man.
(b) Jozef's old photos.
(c) The site of the Jewish killings.
(d) Photos of his Opa during the war.
11. Why does Andrej get angry with Micha?
(a) Micha is rude to Andrej's mother.
(b) Andrej finds out about Micha's Opa.
(c) Micha let Kolesnik visit Andrej's home.
(d) Andrej learns Micha is German.
12. What condition is Oma's house in?
(a) Mostly intact with some bricks missing.
(b) Mostly bombed out with parts of the first floor remaining.
(c) The backyard is gone but most of the house remains.
(d) The house is literally gone and burnt down.
13. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
(a) That he lost sadness a long time ago, even before the Germans came.
(b) That the only thing he feels is sadness.
(c) That he is not sad.
(d) That he gets sad when he talks about it but tries to move on.
14. How does Micha feel about himself?
(a) He is a coward.
(b) He is lucky to know Opa as a grandfather first.
(c) He is lost in his search.
(d) He feels brave for his search.
15. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In Oma's one room house.
(c) At the Meyers' house.
(d) In Wiebke's old room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
2. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
3. What news does Mutti give about Vati in Section 6?
4. Whose grave does Micha visit?
5. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)