|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
(a) That he is not sad.
(b) That the only thing he feels is sadness.
(c) That he gets sad when he talks about it but tries to move on.
(d) That he lost sadness a long time ago, even before the Germans came.
2. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He denies knowing anything.
(c) He is sympathetic.
(d) He shuts down and does not say anything.
3. What do the children learn about Mutti?
(a) Mutti wil be released soon.
(b) She is starving at the camp.
(c) She remains healthy at the camp.
(d) Mutti is in a hard labor camp.
4. Who comforts Lore as she cries in bed?
5. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
(a) Lore plans to leave with Tomas.
(b) Tomas, their secret brother.
(c) They stole, lied, and cheated on their way to Oma's.
(d) They sent an extra letter to Mutti.
6. Where do Lore and her siblings presume Vati to be?
(a) Hiding in a rural area.
(b) In prison.
(c) With Mutti in a camp.
(d) In another country.
7. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
(a) That the pain stops with his generation.
(b) That Micha learns the truth and reveal it to Mutti.
(c) For all to deny the family's involvement in World War II.
(d) That the truth be told throughout history so all can learn from it.
8. What does Lore overhear on the train?
(a) Tomas is a fugitive.
(b) The Nazi trials are underway.
(c) The pictures posted all around are fakes.
(d) Vati and Mutti are in prison.
9. Where does Micha stay on his last visit to Opa's old World War II station?
(b) His Oma's old house.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) Jozef's home.
10. What condition is Oma's house in?
(a) The house is literally gone and burnt down.
(b) Mostly intact with some bricks missing.
(c) The backyard is gone but most of the house remains.
(d) Mostly bombed out with parts of the first floor remaining.
11. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
(a) His Oma.
12. Why does Leisel punch Lore?
(a) Lore tells Tomas he should leave.
(b) Leisel discovers Lore lied about Vati.
(c) Lore gives the last dips of sugar to Juri.
(d) Leisel is angry that Mutti is not with Oma.
13. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
(a) A soldier coming towards them.
(b) Leisel's tears.
(c) The look in Lore's eyes.
(d) Juri's cries.
14. How does Mina feel about Micha's determination?
(a) She is hesistant about what he may find.
(b) Angry that he is not focusing on the present.
(c) Mina does not mind as long as the family remains together.
(d) Supportive of his passion.
15. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She believes they are in the right.
(b) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
(c) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
(d) She believes they are still good people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
2. How does Micha confuse Oma?
3. What does Lore notice when the children take a picture together?
4. What is Oma's demeanor like?
5. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)