|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
(a) They sent an extra letter to Mutti.
(b) Lore plans to leave with Tomas.
(c) They stole, lied, and cheated on their way to Oma's.
(d) Tomas, their secret brother.
2. Where do Lore and her siblings presume Vati to be?
(a) With Mutti in a camp.
(b) Hiding in a rural area.
(c) In prison.
(d) In another country.
3. What do the children learn about Mutti?
(a) Mutti is in a hard labor camp.
(b) She is starving at the camp.
(c) She remains healthy at the camp.
(d) Mutti wil be released soon.
4. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
(c) Everyone writes a little something.
5. How does Micha feel about himself?
(a) He is lost in his search.
(b) He is lucky to know Opa as a grandfather first.
(c) He is a coward.
(d) He feels brave for his search.
6. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
(a) That Opa killed Jews in the war.
(b) That his Oma still loves him.
(c) That Opa is still the same grandfather.
(d) That his family is not responsible for Opa's actions.
7. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
(a) That the pain stops with his generation.
(b) For all to deny the family's involvement in World War II.
(c) That Micha learns the truth and reveal it to Mutti.
(d) That the truth be told throughout history so all can learn from it.
8. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
(a) In Oma's one room house.
(b) At the Meyers' house.
(c) In Wiebke's old room.
(d) In the cellar.
9. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) It involves a lot of drinking.
(b) Most walk away back into their barracks.
(c) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(d) They smoke and laugh.
10. What feelings does Micha have for Jozef?
(a) Sadness for what he went through.
(b) Respect for his ability to tell the truth.
(c) Anger for his past.
11. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
(a) The inability to have children.
(b) A lifetime of being ostracized.
(c) Racism aimed at her.
(d) Her children's early death.
12. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
(a) They want him to stop.
(b) They do not care so long as they are not involved.
(c) They want to know but do not want to talk about it.
(d) They encourage the truth to be revealed.
13. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
(b) Opa is part Jewish.
(c) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
(d) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
14. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
(a) That he is a schoolteacher.
(b) That he is part Jewish.
(c) That he is in search of Opa's true background.
(d) That he is looking for his Opa.
15. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
(a) The woman's grandfather from the museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micha identify historical sites related to the Nazis?
2. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
3. How does Jochen die?
4. What is Micha's relationship like with his Oma as he learns more about his Opa?
5. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)