|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
(b) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
(c) She believes they are in the right.
(d) She believes they are still good people.
2. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
(a) The ferry dock.
(b) In an abandoned building.
(c) A nearby church.
(d) In a Red Cross refugee shelter.
3. What indicates the closeness between Lore's family and Tomas?
(a) Tomas and Lore always sleep with their arms touching.
(b) Tomas carries Peter as often as Lore.
(c) Juri sleeps in Tomas' lap on the train.
(d) Leisel and Juri fight to sleep next to Tomas.
4. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
(a) Oma is suspicious of her whereabouts.
(b) His angry response to her.
(c) Lore discovers his secret and is appalled.
(d) Wiebke tells her it is shameful.
5. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
(a) They do not care so long as they are not involved.
(b) They encourage the truth to be revealed.
(c) They want him to stop.
(d) They want to know but do not want to talk about it.
6. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
(a) That his family is not responsible for Opa's actions.
(b) That Opa killed Jews in the war.
(c) That Opa is still the same grandfather.
(d) That his Oma still loves him.
7. What does Micha like about his pictures of Opa?
(a) Opa is always looking at Micha.
(b) Opa has a very genuine smile.
(c) Opa carries a mysterious facial expression.
(d) Opa looks like he has a secret.
8. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
(a) The woman's grandfather from the museum.
9. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
(a) Stays in a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(b) Stays in a church.
(c) Sleeps at an unused train station.
(d) Lives in an abandoned house.
10. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
(a) His family.
(d) The innocent people Opa killed.
11. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(b) They smoke and laugh.
(c) It involves a lot of drinking.
(d) Most walk away back into their barracks.
12. What is Kolesnik's role during the war?
(b) He burned the piles of bodies.
(c) He assigned numbers and letters to the Jews.
(d) Waffen-SS man.
13. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
(a) Leisel's tears.
(b) Juri's cries.
(c) The look in Lore's eyes.
(d) A soldier coming towards them.
14. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
(a) Photos of Elena and Jozef.
(b) Photos of his Oma and Opa.
(c) Photos of Mina and Dilan.
(d) Photos of his daughter.
15. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
(a) Mutti is sad but does not cry.
(c) Mutti sheds tears on her response letter.
(d) Mutti acknowledges it as fact but nothing more.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Micha go to search the truth about his Opa?
2. Who comforts Lore as she cries in bed?
3. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
4. Micha and Jozef's first conversation can be described as ____________.
5. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)