|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
(a) A lifetime of being ostracized.
(b) Her children's early death.
(c) The inability to have children.
(d) Racism aimed at her.
2. Who comforts Lore as she cries in bed?
3. Who is at the center of Micha's mental family tree?
(a) His Vati.
(b) His Oma.
(c) His Opa.
(d) His Mutti.
4. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
(a) For all to deny the family's involvement in World War II.
(b) That the truth be told throughout history so all can learn from it.
(c) That the pain stops with his generation.
(d) That Micha learns the truth and reveal it to Mutti.
5. Where does Micha go to search the truth about his Opa?
6. What is Kolesnik's role during the war?
(a) He burned the piles of bodies.
(c) Waffen-SS man.
(d) He assigned numbers and letters to the Jews.
7. What does Micha like about his pictures of Opa?
(a) Opa carries a mysterious facial expression.
(b) Opa has a very genuine smile.
(c) Opa looks like he has a secret.
(d) Opa is always looking at Micha.
8. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
(a) They cover the Nazi regime as only a small part of history.
(b) The way the children learn about the occupations.
(c) He sees hints of racism in the school curriculum.
(d) That his school does not teach about the labor camps.
9. What is Micha's relationship like with his Oma as he learns more about his Opa?
(a) He refuses to speak with her.
(b) He feels closer to her.
(c) He pities her.
(d) He is angry she never told him the truth.
10. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
(a) Micha believes she considers herself Turkish first.
(b) Mina is part Jewish.
(c) Mina does not care about the German culture.
(d) Mina does not consider herself German.
11. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
(a) Tomas, their secret brother.
(b) They sent an extra letter to Mutti.
(c) They stole, lied, and cheated on their way to Oma's.
(d) Lore plans to leave with Tomas.
12. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
(a) Oma is suspicious of her whereabouts.
(b) Wiebke tells her it is shameful.
(c) Lore discovers his secret and is appalled.
(d) His angry response to her.
13. What feelings does Micha have for Jozef?
(a) Respect for his ability to tell the truth.
(c) Anger for his past.
(d) Sadness for what he went through.
14. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She believes they are still good people.
(b) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
(c) She believes they are in the right.
(d) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
15. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
(b) Eerily calm.
(d) Confusion over how the children will get on the train.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
2. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
3. How does Mina feel about Micha's determination?
4. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
5. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)