|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Micha go to search the truth about his Opa?
2. What confuses Lore when they are close to Oma's?
(a) No one seems to recognize Oma's name.
(b) Tomas tells Lore that Oma may be in prison too.
(c) Oma is said to not live there anymore.
(d) She cannot recognize the city with so many bombed areas.
3. Whose grave does Micha visit?
4. How does Jochen die?
(a) The Russians shoot him.
(b) He falls out of a hayloft.
(c) He drowns in the river.
(d) He is captured by American soldiers.
5. What does Kolesnik confess to Micha?
(a) He nearly killed himself for his actions.
(b) He helped kill Jews during the war.
(c) His Opa committed suicide because of his actions.
(d) He and Micha's Opa killed Jews together.
6. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
(a) That he lost sadness a long time ago, even before the Germans came.
(b) That the only thing he feels is sadness.
(c) That he is not sad.
(d) That he gets sad when he talks about it but tries to move on.
7. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa is part Jewish.
(b) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
(c) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
(d) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
8. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
(a) Micha believes she considers herself Turkish first.
(b) Mina does not care about the German culture.
(c) Mina does not consider herself German.
(d) Mina is part Jewish.
9. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
(b) She believes they are in the right.
(c) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
(d) She believes they are still good people.
10. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
(a) He stole the papers from a dead Jew.
(b) Tomas killed a man for the papers.
(c) Tomas plans to leave without saying goodbye.
(d) Tomas knows where Vati is.
11. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
(a) Lives in an abandoned house.
(b) Stays in a church.
(c) Stays in a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(d) Sleeps at an unused train station.
12. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
(a) They are in battle on the war front.
(b) Smoking and laughing in front of dead bodies.
(c) Laughing and playing with their children like his Opa.
(d) Shoveling piles of ashes.
13. What does Micha like about his pictures of Opa?
(a) Opa has a very genuine smile.
(b) Opa is always looking at Micha.
(c) Opa looks like he has a secret.
(d) Opa carries a mysterious facial expression.
14. What are Tomas' feelings after Jochen dies?
(a) He wants to seek revenge.
(b) He feels he could have prevented it.
(c) He wants to separate from the family.
(d) He wishes he never met the family.
15. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
(d) Everyone writes a little something.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the conversations like between Micha and Luise?
2. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
3. Who else wants to know the truth if Micha finds it?
4. What does Micha do in order to distract himself from Opa's past?
5. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)