|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
(a) Oma tells her the truth.
(b) She reads off a man's newspaper on the tram.
(c) Lore asks Tomas about them.
(d) From two women on the tram.
2. What are Tomas' feelings after Jochen dies?
(a) He wants to separate from the family.
(b) He wants to seek revenge.
(c) He feels he could have prevented it.
(d) He wishes he never met the family.
3. Where do Lore and her siblings presume Vati to be?
(a) Hiding in a rural area.
(b) In another country.
(c) With Mutti in a camp.
(d) In prison.
4. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
(b) Opa is part Jewish.
(c) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
(d) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
5. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
(b) Eerily calm.
(c) Confusion over how the children will get on the train.
6. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
(a) The woman's grandfather from the museum.
7. Why does Leisel punch Lore?
(a) Leisel is angry that Mutti is not with Oma.
(b) Lore gives the last dips of sugar to Juri.
(c) Leisel discovers Lore lied about Vati.
(d) Lore tells Tomas he should leave.
8. What indicates the closeness between Lore's family and Tomas?
(a) Leisel and Juri fight to sleep next to Tomas.
(b) Tomas and Lore always sleep with their arms touching.
(c) Tomas carries Peter as often as Lore.
(d) Juri sleeps in Tomas' lap on the train.
9. What does Micha like about his pictures of Opa?
(a) Opa carries a mysterious facial expression.
(b) Opa has a very genuine smile.
(c) Opa is always looking at Micha.
(d) Opa looks like he has a secret.
10. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
(b) His Oma.
11. What do the children learn about Mutti?
(a) Mutti is in a hard labor camp.
(b) She remains healthy at the camp.
(c) Mutti wil be released soon.
(d) She is starving at the camp.
12. How does Mina feel about Micha's determination?
(a) Mina does not mind as long as the family remains together.
(b) She is hesistant about what he may find.
(c) Supportive of his passion.
(d) Angry that he is not focusing on the present.
13. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
(a) Shoveling piles of ashes.
(b) Laughing and playing with their children like his Opa.
(c) Smoking and laughing in front of dead bodies.
(d) They are in battle on the war front.
14. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
15. How does Micha feel about himself?
(a) He feels brave for his search.
(b) He is lost in his search.
(c) He is a coward.
(d) He is lucky to know Opa as a grandfather first.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
2. What condition is Oma's house in?
3. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
4. How does Jochen die?
5. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)