|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mina try to remind Micha about?
(a) That his family is not responsible for Opa's actions.
(b) That Opa killed Jews in the war.
(c) That his Oma still loves him.
(d) That Opa is still the same grandfather.
2. What is it about Micha's school that angers him?
(a) That his school does not teach about the labor camps.
(b) He sees hints of racism in the school curriculum.
(c) They cover the Nazi regime as only a small part of history.
(d) The way the children learn about the occupations.
3. Why does Leisel punch Lore?
(a) Leisel discovers Lore lied about Vati.
(b) Lore gives the last dips of sugar to Juri.
(c) Lore tells Tomas he should leave.
(d) Leisel is angry that Mutti is not with Oma.
4. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
(b) Mutti sheds tears on her response letter.
(c) Mutti is sad but does not cry.
(d) Mutti acknowledges it as fact but nothing more.
5. What is Micha's relationship like with his Oma as he learns more about his Opa?
(a) He refuses to speak with her.
(b) He feels closer to her.
(c) He pities her.
(d) He is angry she never told him the truth.
6. How does Jochen die?
(a) He falls out of a hayloft.
(b) He drowns in the river.
(c) The Russians shoot him.
(d) He is captured by American soldiers.
7. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
(a) That the only thing he feels is sadness.
(b) That he is not sad.
(c) That he lost sadness a long time ago, even before the Germans came.
(d) That he gets sad when he talks about it but tries to move on.
8. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
(a) Cuts off a piece for her to keep.
(b) Smells them.
(c) Washes them.
(d) Burns them to ashes.
9. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
(b) The innocent people Opa killed.
(c) His family.
10. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
(b) The woman's grandfather from the museum.
11. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
(a) Laughing and playing with their children like his Opa.
(b) They are in battle on the war front.
(c) Shoveling piles of ashes.
(d) Smoking and laughing in front of dead bodies.
12. What news does Mutti give about Vati in Section 6?
(a) He is safe.
(b) He is out of contact.
(c) He is in a Russian prison.
(d) He is dead.
13. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
(a) Juri's cries.
(b) A soldier coming towards them.
(c) Leisel's tears.
(d) The look in Lore's eyes.
14. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) Most walk away back into their barracks.
(b) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(c) It involves a lot of drinking.
(d) They smoke and laugh.
15. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
(b) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
(c) Opa is part Jewish.
(d) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
2. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
3. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
4. What confuses Lore when they are close to Oma's?
5. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)