|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret do the children keep from Oma and Wiebke?
(a) They sent an extra letter to Mutti.
(b) They stole, lied, and cheated on their way to Oma's.
(c) Tomas, their secret brother.
(d) Lore plans to leave with Tomas.
2. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(b) They smoke and laugh.
(c) It involves a lot of drinking.
(d) Most walk away back into their barracks.
3. Who does Micha cry for when he cries about Opa's past?
(b) The innocent people Opa killed.
(c) His family.
4. Where does Micha stay on his last visit to Opa's old World War II station?
(b) In a hotel.
(c) His Oma's old house.
(d) Jozef's home.
5. How does Micha feel about himself?
(a) He is lucky to know Opa as a grandfather first.
(b) He is a coward.
(c) He feels brave for his search.
(d) He is lost in his search.
6. What bothers Micha about Mina's background?
(a) Micha believes she considers herself Turkish first.
(b) Mina does not consider herself German.
(c) Mina is part Jewish.
(d) Mina does not care about the German culture.
7. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
(a) Photos of his daughter.
(b) Photos of Mina and Dilan.
(c) Photos of his Oma and Opa.
(d) Photos of Elena and Jozef.
8. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
(c) The neighbor next door.
9. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
(a) He denies knowing anything.
(b) He gets angry.
(c) He is sympathetic.
(d) He shuts down and does not say anything.
10. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
(a) That Micha learns the truth and reveal it to Mutti.
(b) That the pain stops with his generation.
(c) For all to deny the family's involvement in World War II.
(d) That the truth be told throughout history so all can learn from it.
11. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
(a) Everyone writes a little something.
12. Whose grave does Micha visit?
13. What is Kolesnik's role during the war?
(b) Waffen-SS man.
(c) He assigned numbers and letters to the Jews.
(d) He burned the piles of bodies.
14. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep regularly when they reach their destination?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In Oma's one room house.
(c) At the Meyers' house.
(d) In Wiebke's old room.
15. What surprise does Micha learn about Opa?
(a) Opa was a member of the Waffen-SS in World War II.
(b) Opa is part Jewish.
(c) Opa and Oma were never legally married.
(d) Opa is not his Mutti's real father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Micha's relationship like with his Oma as he learns more about his Opa?
2. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
3. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
4. Micha and Jozef's first conversation can be described as ____________.
5. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)