|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
(b) Mutti sheds tears on her response letter.
(c) Mutti is sad but does not cry.
(d) Mutti acknowledges it as fact but nothing more.
2. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
(a) A nearby church.
(b) The ferry dock.
(c) In an abandoned building.
(d) In a Red Cross refugee shelter.
3. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
(c) His Oma.
4. How does Micha feel about himself?
(a) He is lucky to know Opa as a grandfather first.
(b) He is a coward.
(c) He feels brave for his search.
(d) He is lost in his search.
5. Who writes the letter to Mutti?
(b) Everyone writes a little something.
6. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
(a) Stays in a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(b) Lives in an abandoned house.
(c) Sleeps at an unused train station.
(d) Stays in a church.
7. What is Kolesnik's role during the war?
(a) Waffen-SS man.
(b) He burned the piles of bodies.
(d) He assigned numbers and letters to the Jews.
8. What do the children learn about Mutti?
(a) Mutti wil be released soon.
(b) Mutti is in a hard labor camp.
(c) She is starving at the camp.
(d) She remains healthy at the camp.
9. What does Elena show Micha?
(a) The grave of her brother, who was also an SS man.
(b) Jozef's old photos.
(c) The site of the Jewish killings.
(d) Photos of his Opa during the war.
10. What are Tomas' feelings after Jochen dies?
(a) He wants to separate from the family.
(b) He wishes he never met the family.
(c) He wants to seek revenge.
(d) He feels he could have prevented it.
11. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
(a) That he is a schoolteacher.
(b) That he is in search of Opa's true background.
(c) That he is looking for his Opa.
(d) That he is part Jewish.
12. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
(a) Shoveling piles of ashes.
(b) They are in battle on the war front.
(c) Smoking and laughing in front of dead bodies.
(d) Laughing and playing with their children like his Opa.
13. Whose grave does Micha visit?
14. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
(a) The Meyers see Lore searching and ask if she needs help.
(b) Oma recognizes Juri first.
(c) Tomas finds Oma and brings Lore back.
(d) Wiebke recognizes Lore.
15. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
(d) The neighbor next door.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
2. How does Jochen die?
3. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
4. Who calls Micha to speak with him about the war?
5. Who is at the center of Micha's mental family tree?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)