|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose grave does Micha visit?
2. How does Micha confuse Oma?
(a) Micha talks to her about Opa as if he is a stranger.
(b) Micha visits on a non-regular day.
(c) Micha takes her to a new place to talk.
(d) Micha confronts her about her history.
3. What influences Tomas' decision to get on the train?
(a) A soldier coming towards them.
(b) Juri's cries.
(c) The look in Lore's eyes.
(d) Leisel's tears.
4. Why is Elena angry with Micha?
(a) Micha says he is not their friend and does not know why he is there.
(b) She wants him to stay longer.
(c) Micha does not understand her when she takes him to an important site.
(d) Elena is upset Micha does not speak with Jozef.
5. What is Micha afraid to tell the person he is staying with?
(a) That he is in search of Opa's true background.
(b) That he is looking for his Opa.
(c) That he is a schoolteacher.
(d) That he is part Jewish.
6. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
(a) The Meyers see Lore searching and ask if she needs help.
(b) Oma recognizes Juri first.
(c) Wiebke recognizes Lore.
(d) Tomas finds Oma and brings Lore back.
7. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
8. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
(a) That Micha learns the truth and reveal it to Mutti.
(b) For all to deny the family's involvement in World War II.
(c) That the truth be told throughout history so all can learn from it.
(d) That the pain stops with his generation.
9. Which character gives up their own bed for the children to sleep on?
(d) The neighbor next door.
10. How does Jochen die?
(a) The Russians shoot him.
(b) He is captured by American soldiers.
(c) He falls out of a hayloft.
(d) He drowns in the river.
11. Who does Micha stay with during his time away?
(d) His Oma.
12. What is the family's response to Micha's search?
(a) They want him to stop.
(b) They do not care so long as they are not involved.
(c) They want to know but do not want to talk about it.
(d) They encourage the truth to be revealed.
13. Where do the kids stay when they reach Oma's city?
(a) A nearby church.
(b) In an abandoned building.
(c) The ferry dock.
(d) In a Red Cross refugee shelter.
14. What does Lore do to Tomas' belongings before she buries them?
(a) Cuts off a piece for her to keep.
(b) Washes them.
(c) Burns them to ashes.
(d) Smells them.
15. What confuses Lore when they are close to Oma's?
(a) Tomas tells Lore that Oma may be in prison too.
(b) No one seems to recognize Oma's name.
(c) Oma is said to not live there anymore.
(d) She cannot recognize the city with so many bombed areas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the scene like on the train when Juri and Leisel first enter?
2. What does Lore overhear on the train?
3. What feelings does Micha have for Jozef?
4. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
5. Who else wants to know the truth if Micha finds it?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)