|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mutti's response to Jochen missing from the picture?
(b) Mutti acknowledges it as fact but nothing more.
(c) Mutti sheds tears on her response letter.
(d) Mutti is sad but does not cry.
2. What condition is Oma's house in?
(a) Mostly intact with some bricks missing.
(b) Mostly bombed out with parts of the first floor remaining.
(c) The backyard is gone but most of the house remains.
(d) The house is literally gone and burnt down.
3. What is Micha's relationship like with his Oma as he learns more about his Opa?
(a) He is angry she never told him the truth.
(b) He pities her.
(c) He feels closer to her.
(d) He refuses to speak with her.
4. How does Oma feel about Mutti and Vati's Nazi involvement?
(a) She believes they are rightfully punished but still loves them.
(b) She believes they are still good people.
(c) She condemns them because of it and disowns them.
(d) She believes they are in the right.
5. Who else wants to know the truth if Micha finds it?
6. What is Kolesnik's role during the war?
(a) Waffen-SS man.
(c) He assigned numbers and letters to the Jews.
(d) He burned the piles of bodies.
7. Where does Tomas go when the children leave to Oma?
(a) Stays in a church.
(b) Sleeps at an unused train station.
(c) Stays in a Red Cross refugee shelter.
(d) Lives in an abandoned house.
8. Where does Micha stay on his last visit to Opa's old World War II station?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) His Oma's old house.
(c) Jozef's home.
9. What are the SS men doing in the photos displayed in the museum Micha visits?
(a) Laughing and playing with their children like his Opa.
(b) They are in battle on the war front.
(c) Smoking and laughing in front of dead bodies.
(d) Shoveling piles of ashes.
10. How does Mina feel about Micha's determination?
(a) Mina does not mind as long as the family remains together.
(b) Supportive of his passion.
(c) Angry that he is not focusing on the present.
(d) She is hesistant about what he may find.
11. What secret is Tomas holding from Lore?
(a) He stole the papers from a dead Jew.
(b) Tomas plans to leave without saying goodbye.
(c) Tomas knows where Vati is.
(d) Tomas killed a man for the papers.
12. How does Lore discover the truth behind the pictures circling around Germany?
(a) She reads off a man's newspaper on the tram.
(b) From two women on the tram.
(c) Lore asks Tomas about them.
(d) Oma tells her the truth.
13. What does Micha bring back for Elena?
(a) Photos of Mina and Dilan.
(b) Photos of his Oma and Opa.
(c) Photos of Elena and Jozef.
(d) Photos of his daughter.
14. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
(a) Lore discovers his secret and is appalled.
(b) Oma is suspicious of her whereabouts.
(c) Wiebke tells her it is shameful.
(d) His angry response to her.
15. How does Jozef describe the reactions of the SS men after a shooting?
(a) There are trivial conversations to avoid the silence.
(b) Most walk away back into their barracks.
(c) It involves a lot of drinking.
(d) They smoke and laugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Elena angry with Micha?
2. Whose grave does Micha visit?
3. What are the conversations like between Micha and Luise?
4. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
5. How does Lore reunite with Oma?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)