|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings does Lore have?
2. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
(a) The developed colors are never correct.
(b) The cameras are heavy with too many parts.
(c) Pictures do not exactly match what the witness really sees.
(d) Cameras are too bulky to shoot in secret.
3. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
4. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
(a) They are all underweight and pale.
(b) The description of "drawer-for-a-cot."
(c) The family cannot pay for a real doctor.
(d) Their meals are very meager.
5. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
(a) Mutti and Papi are still proud of his work.
(b) He may be strong enough to be a soldier.
(c) His arm is strong but his body is weak.
(d) It seems as empty there as in the city.
6. To what does Helmut devote one photo from each roll of film?
(a) A picture of his cellar.
(b) A picture of his old neighborhood.
(c) A picture of the train station.
(d) A picture of himself.
7. What does Lore have to give up to get more food and shelter for a night?
(a) Mutti's wedding ring.
(b) The rest of their money.
(c) Their twins' extra clothing and boots.
(d) Mutti's earrings.
8. How does Mutti react when her children fight amongst each other?
(a) She throws a cup down.
(b) She yells at them to behave.
(c) She does nothing but goes to sleep.
(d) She punishes each one individually.
9. What does a woman offer Lore when Lore sits down very tired?
(a) Her last milk and bread.
(b) A place to nap.
(c) A way to get to Oma's.
(d) Help with directions.
10. What thought is on everyone's mind while Lore's family is in hiding?
(a) Vati will be home soon.
(b) The end of the war is near.
(c) Mutti and Vati are going to prison.
(d) The Russians are taking over Germany.
11. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
(a) Helmut is not very bright.
(b) Because Helmut cannot join the army.
(c) Helmut takes bad pictures for Gladigau.
(d) She considers his quiet behavior rude.
12. What is Lore's role in the family?
(a) She is the middle child of the family.
(b) She is the youngest girl in the family.
(c) She is the eldest and Mutti's caretaker.
(d) She is the second oldest, but has more responsiblities.
13. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
14. Who does Vati work for?
(a) The German army.
(b) A farmer.
(c) The Nizkor Project.
(d) The German Intelligence Agency.
15. What is Helmut's reaction during the second bombing?
(a) He yells and runs to the cellar with the other tenants.
(b) He walks outside and wanders the streets.
(c) He yells for his parents while running around the streets.
(d) He cries and stays in his bed until it is all over.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helmut enjoy most about the train station?
2. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
3. What is Helmut's political stance in 1945 as described in Section 5?
4. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
5. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)