|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the farmer's wife ask if Lore's mother is still around?
(a) Mutti has possibly died.
(b) Mutti has gone to find Vati.
(c) Mutti has been captured by the Nazis.
(d) Mutti has possibly gone with the Americans.
2. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
(a) Lore tells them she is on the way to Fulda.
(b) She cannot understand so she ignores them and walks on.
(c) The young man shows them papers and tells them they are siblings on their way to Oma's.
(d) Lore tells them they are with the young man.
3. What transaction occurs between Mutti and the visitors from the jeep?
(a) Mutti hands them money and jewelry.
(b) They hand Mutti some food.
(c) They search her home.
(d) They both sign some papers.
4. What does Mutti bring back from town after days of being sick?
(a) News of the Fürher's death.
5. Where does Lore's family run to hide when the end of the war is near?
(c) A farm in a valley.
6. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
(a) A missing pectoral muscle.
(b) A shortened arm.
(c) A missing back muscle.
(d) A deformed shoulder joint.
7. What is Helmut's reaction during the second bombing?
(a) He yells and runs to the cellar with the other tenants.
(b) He yells for his parents while running around the streets.
(c) He cries and stays in his bed until it is all over.
(d) He walks outside and wanders the streets.
8. Why does Lore bury the last of Vati's pictures?
(a) Leisel keeps asking for them so Lore gets rid of them.
(b) All the keepsakes are weighing her down.
(c) She is fearful of the evidence.
(d) To keep them safe until she can return for them another time.
9. What is the woman's reaction when Lore asks about the amount of food provided compared to the payment?
(a) She takes the food and gives Lore's payment back.
(b) She gets angry that Lore is unappreciative.
(c) She offers more food that she was hiding.
(d) She shrugs and later apologizes.
10. Why is Mutti "clever" for having something on the table every night?
(a) Mutti is a busy woman with a full-time job.
(b) Mutti is a first-class chef.
(c) She is able to make dinner despite their poverty.
(d) She helps Helmut's arm get stronger.
11. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
(a) When the refugees and veterans fill the streets of Berlin again.
(b) During the summer months.
(c) Immediately after the bombings take place.
(d) During the winter months.
12. What does Lore hear at the hideout when she listens out the window?
(a) Tanks over rubble in the streets.
(d) Everything is quiet.
13. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
(a) Their meals are very meager.
(b) The description of "drawer-for-a-cot."
(c) The family cannot pay for a real doctor.
(d) They are all underweight and pale.
14. What happens to Helmut's feelings about being a soldier in Section 4?
(a) They have died since the bombings.
(b) They changed after seeing the veterans.
(c) They are still strong.
(d) He feels hesitant about it.
15. What will become of Berlin?
(a) It will be under Soviet rule.
(b) It will be autonomous.
(c) It will be divided.
(d) It will be rebuilt to original plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the children start to fight when Mutti speaks with the farmer?
2. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
3. What does the old woman lie to Lore about to get money?
4. What are Lore's nightmares about?
5. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)