|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
(a) He is accepted by the army.
(b) He gains real employment at the train station.
(c) He shows Gladigau his documentation of Berlin.
(d) He opens the shop under his name.
2. Why does Lore bury the last of Vati's pictures?
(a) Leisel keeps asking for them so Lore gets rid of them.
(b) All the keepsakes are weighing her down.
(c) She is fearful of the evidence.
(d) To keep them safe until she can return for them another time.
3. What does Lore have to give up to get more food and shelter for a night?
(a) Mutti's wedding ring.
(b) Their twins' extra clothing and boots.
(c) The rest of their money.
(d) Mutti's earrings.
4. What changes described in Section 3 are occurring in Germany's economy?
(a) The war has no effect on the economy.
(b) There is a surplus of material goods.
(c) Everything is to be rationed.
(d) There is a lot of food but less material goods.
5. What is Helmut's new job in 1945?
(a) He digs trenches and piles rubble.
(b) He is the owner of a photo shop.
(c) He is Berlin's historian.
(d) He takes tickets from passengers at the train station.
6. Who are the people that are leaving the city and where are they going?
(a) Soldiers going to war and jobs outside the city.
(b) Members of the Nazi party going to Switzerland.
(c) Regular German citizens moving to rural areas.
(d) Jewish citizens going to prison camps.
7. How does Gladigau view Papi and his family?
(a) Gladigau abhors the way Papi treats his family.
(b) Gladigau tries to help them achieve prosperity.
(c) Gladigau respects their status.
(d) Gladigau views Papi strictly as an employee.
8. What happens to Helm's notebook at the train station?
(a) The train station guard tells him to put it away.
(b) It is confiscated by a soldier.
(c) It gets wet and ruined in the rain.
(d) It gets lost in the wind and ruined by a passing train.
9. What is the biggest difference to Lore between her hometown and her hideout?
(a) The new place is intact and not bombed out everywhere.
(b) The people at the new place are welcoming compared to the people at home.
(c) The new place seems busier than the old place.
(d) The new place is much larger in size.
10. What does Gladigau's neighborhood look like when Helmut finds it?
(a) There is no more neighborhood.
(b) It is on fire.
(c) It looks worse than his.
(d) It is unscathed.
11. Who comes to visit Mutti in a jeep?
(b) The French.
(d) The British.
12. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
(a) The train station guard.
(b) The local baker.
(c) A veteran.
(d) Another man who has lost his family.
13. How does Mutti react when her children fight amongst each other?
(a) She punishes each one individually.
(b) She throws a cup down.
(c) She does nothing but goes to sleep.
(d) She yells at them to behave.
14. What is Helmut's secret agenda regarding the photos he takes of Berlin?
(a) Documenting the brutality of the SS for evidence.
(b) Counting the population decline of Berlin.
(c) Making a collage for Gladigau.
(d) Documenting train station details.
15. What images of veterans are described in Section 4?
(a) They are disabled and homeless.
(b) Families give them warm welcomings.
(c) They walk proudly.
(d) There is a parade for their return.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the reader know the woman who helps Lore is also in bad shape?
2. Who is Lore's family hiding from when they go into hiding?
3. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
4. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
5. How does Helmut react to his photos of the gypsies?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)