|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
(a) She cannot understand so she ignores them and walks on.
(b) Lore tells them they are with the young man.
(c) The young man shows them papers and tells them they are siblings on their way to Oma's.
(d) Lore tells them she is on the way to Fulda.
2. How many siblings does Lore have?
3. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
(a) Their meals are very meager.
(b) They are all underweight and pale.
(c) The description of "drawer-for-a-cot."
(d) The family cannot pay for a real doctor.
4. What does Lore hear at the hideout when she listens out the window?
(a) Everything is quiet.
(b) Tanks over rubble in the streets.
5. Which of Helmut's family portraits does Papi usually prefer?
(a) Ones that show the entire family smiling and proud.
(b) Ones that hide Helmut's birth defect.
(c) Ones that include Helmut smiling.
(d) Ones that include Helmut in uniform.
6. What changes described in Section 3 are occurring in Germany's economy?
(a) There is a surplus of material goods.
(b) The war has no effect on the economy.
(c) Everything is to be rationed.
(d) There is a lot of food but less material goods.
7. How does Helmut feel as the war progresses?
8. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
(a) He opens the shop under his name.
(b) He gains real employment at the train station.
(c) He shows Gladigau his documentation of Berlin.
(d) He is accepted by the army.
9. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
(a) At the train station.
(b) In Gladigau's shop.
(c) In an abandoned bakery.
(d) In a cellar.
10. Why is Mutti "clever" for having something on the table every night?
(a) Mutti is a first-class chef.
(b) Mutti is a busy woman with a full-time job.
(c) She helps Helmut's arm get stronger.
(d) She is able to make dinner despite their poverty.
11. To what does Helmut devote one photo from each roll of film?
(a) A picture of the train station.
(b) A picture of himself.
(c) A picture of his old neighborhood.
(d) A picture of his cellar.
12. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
(a) During the winter months.
(b) When the refugees and veterans fill the streets of Berlin again.
(c) During the summer months.
(d) Immediately after the bombings take place.
13. Who does Vati work for?
(a) The Nizkor Project.
(b) The German army.
(c) The German Intelligence Agency.
(d) A farmer.
14. How are Helmut's winters described?
(a) Sleepless overall.
(b) Lonely in the dark room.
(c) Cozy in the cellar.
(d) Cold at the train station.
15. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
(a) Many beg him for bread.
(b) Most ignore him.
(c) They resent him for not fighting in the front.
(d) They curse him for his crooked arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the farmer's son tell Lore?
2. What occurs overnight at the church Lore and the children sleep in?
3. Who helps Helmut when he is confronted at the train station?
4. Where does Helmut find safety after the second bombing is over?
5. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)