|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
2. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
(a) Piles of starved, naked people.
(b) A burning cross.
(c) Swastika banners on fire.
(d) A man in a noose.
3. What is Lore's reaction to the twin's sprawl on the ground?
4. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
(a) Helmut is not very bright.
(b) Helmut takes bad pictures for Gladigau.
(c) Because Helmut cannot join the army.
(d) She considers his quiet behavior rude.
5. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
(a) Cameras are too bulky to shoot in secret.
(b) The cameras are heavy with too many parts.
(c) The developed colors are never correct.
(d) Pictures do not exactly match what the witness really sees.
6. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
(a) Her mother's earrings.
(b) Diapers and extra clothing.
(c) Some money.
(d) Some of their food for the woman and her child.
7. What do patrons at the shop give instead of money for food?
(c) Any goods the man behind the counter needs.
8. What does the old woman lie to Lore about to get money?
(a) That paraffin will kill the lice.
(b) Correct directions to Oma's.
(c) Where the nearest Red Cross food line is.
(d) A way to get train tickets.
9. What is Helmut's secret agenda regarding the photos he takes of Berlin?
(a) Counting the population decline of Berlin.
(b) Making a collage for Gladigau.
(c) Documenting train station details.
(d) Documenting the brutality of the SS for evidence.
10. What is Helmut's new job in 1945?
(a) He is the owner of a photo shop.
(b) He digs trenches and piles rubble.
(c) He takes tickets from passengers at the train station.
(d) He is Berlin's historian.
11. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
(a) A missing back muscle.
(b) A deformed shoulder joint.
(c) A shortened arm.
(d) A missing pectoral muscle.
12. How are Lore and the children able to get food when there is no money?
(a) They are unable to get food for days.
(b) They offer farmers labor in exchange for food.
(c) They beg from farmers or dig up their potatoes.
(d) They buy food with coupons.
13. Where does Helmut find safety after the second bombing is over?
(a) A bakery.
(b) Gladigau's apartment.
(c) The train station.
(d) The dark room.
14. What opportunity opens up for Papi?
(a) A management position.
(b) A full-time photographer posiiton.
(c) Papi works for the army.
(d) Papi works at the train station.
15. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
(a) Lore tells them they are with the young man.
(b) She cannot understand so she ignores them and walks on.
(c) The young man shows them papers and tells them they are siblings on their way to Oma's.
(d) Lore tells them she is on the way to Fulda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Helmut's feelings about being a soldier in Section 4?
2. What happens to Mutti and Papi after the second bombing?
3. Who provides food rations throughout the German area that Lore and her siblings are traveling through?
4. What attracts Lore to a particular tree?
5. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)