|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dilemma does Lore run into by the second day out?
(a) Whether to continue to walk or buy train tickets.
(b) Whether to ask for directions or avoid conversations with people.
(c) Whether to stay on the road or walk through fields.
(d) Whether to buy milk for Peter or bread for the rest of the children.
2. What are Lore's nightmares about?
(a) The end of the war is not really here.
(b) Americans taking their food.
(c) German Nazis taking her parents away.
(d) Strangers blocking their way to Oma's.
3. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
(a) The way his mother looks at him.
(b) His sad expressions in family photos.
(c) He takes bad photos.
(d) He is not a soldier.
4. What is Helmut's political stance in 1945 as described in Section 5?
(a) He does not care anymore.
(b) He follows nationalism.
(c) He is a secret communist.
(d) He is loyal to the Third Reich.
5. How is Helmut's ability as a darkroom technician described?
(b) Slow but progressive.
(c) Accurate and skillful.
6. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
(a) Their final destination.
(b) That Mutti and Vati are not with them.
(c) Their real names.
(d) Their Nazi affiliation.
7. How are Helmut's winters described?
(a) Sleepless overall.
(b) Cold at the train station.
(c) Cozy in the cellar.
(d) Lonely in the dark room.
8. Who does Vati work for?
(a) The Nizkor Project.
(b) The German Intelligence Agency.
(c) The German army.
(d) A farmer.
9. What occurs overnight at the church Lore and the children sleep in?
(a) Their carriage is stolen.
(b) A young man comes and sleeps in the pew next to them.
(c) Their food is stolen.
(d) They are evicted by the church members.
10. What do Gladigau and Helmut first film with color?
(a) A banner-lined street with swastika emblems.
(b) A victory parade.
(c) Autumn trees.
(d) Gypsies in their bright clothing.
11. How does Helmut feel as the war progresses?
12. How does the reader know the woman who helps Lore is also in bad shape?
(a) There is no soap or extra food.
(b) The blankets she lends them are worn through.
(c) She lives in a shed.
(d) The food she offers is spoiled.
13. When does Lore begin to trust Tomas?
(a) When Tomas returns with the twins and Peter.
(b) When Tomas safely brings them across the border.
(c) When she lets Tomas sleep close to her.
(d) When she tells him about Mutti and the camp.
14. Who is the first to indicate Helmut's disability to him?
(c) The train station guard.
(d) The sports teacher.
15. What does Mutti bring back from town after days of being sick?
(d) News of the Fürher's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
2. What attracts Lore to a particular tree?
3. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
4. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep on their second night?
5. Who is Lore's family hiding from when they go into hiding?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)