|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the children start to fight when Mutti speaks with the farmer?
(a) Juri hits Leisel for waking him up.
(b) Lore pinches Leisel for trying to open the door.
(c) The twins want candy.
(d) Peter wakes up crying.
2. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
(a) Pictures do not exactly match what the witness really sees.
(b) The cameras are heavy with too many parts.
(c) The developed colors are never correct.
(d) Cameras are too bulky to shoot in secret.
3. What do Gladigau and Helmut first film with color?
(a) A victory parade.
(b) Gypsies in their bright clothing.
(c) Autumn trees.
(d) A banner-lined street with swastika emblems.
4. What bad sign occurs on the first day of the children's trip?
(a) Leisel will not carry her share.
(b) Juri strains an ankle.
(c) The twins fight the whole way.
(d) Lore spills some of the food.
5. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
(a) He gains real employment at the train station.
(b) He is accepted by the army.
(c) He opens the shop under his name.
(d) He shows Gladigau his documentation of Berlin.
6. How are Lore and her siblings received by the first set of strangers they meet?
(a) With disdain.
(b) With pity.
(d) With care and concern.
7. Who helps Helmut when he is confronted at the train station?
(a) A stranger.
(b) The train station guard.
(d) A soldier.
8. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
(a) She is grateful for her siblings' good behavior.
(b) She wants to stop and not go any further.
(c) She thinks it is not as bad as she assumed it would be.
(d) She is tired of being the caretaker.
9. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
(a) A missing back muscle.
(b) A deformed shoulder joint.
(c) A missing pectoral muscle.
(d) A shortened arm.
10. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
(a) Another man who has lost his family.
(b) A veteran.
(c) The train station guard.
(d) The local baker.
11. What is the biggest difference to Lore between her hometown and her hideout?
(a) The new place is intact and not bombed out everywhere.
(b) The new place is much larger in size.
(c) The new place seems busier than the old place.
(d) The people at the new place are welcoming compared to the people at home.
12. What transaction occurs between Mutti and the visitors from the jeep?
(a) They search her home.
(b) They both sign some papers.
(c) Mutti hands them money and jewelry.
(d) They hand Mutti some food.
13. What is Lore's reaction to the twin's sprawl on the ground?
14. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
15. Who is Lore's family hiding from when they go into hiding?
(a) The Nazi party.
(b) The French army.
(c) The American and Russian army.
(d) The townspeople who hate them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leisel do to anger Lore?
2. What does Helmut enjoy most about the train station?
3. What do families feel towards Helmut before the bombing?
4. To what does Helmut devote one photo from each roll of film?
5. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)