|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Gladigau and Helmut first film with color?
(a) A victory parade.
(b) A banner-lined street with swastika emblems.
(c) Gypsies in their bright clothing.
(d) Autumn trees.
2. How does Helmut feel as the war progresses?
3. Where is Helmut born?
4. What opportunity does Gladigau give Helmut?
(a) He gives Helmut the shop in his will.
(b) He lets him document the emptying of the city.
(c) He lets him document the rebuilding of the train station.
(d) He leaves Helmut responsible when on vacation.
5. How does Mutti react when her children fight amongst each other?
(a) She throws a cup down.
(b) She does nothing but goes to sleep.
(c) She punishes each one individually.
(d) She yells at them to behave.
6. How many siblings does Lore have?
7. What changes described in Section 3 are occurring in Germany's economy?
(a) The war has no effect on the economy.
(b) Everything is to be rationed.
(c) There is a lot of food but less material goods.
(d) There is a surplus of material goods.
8. Where does Lore's family run to hide when the end of the war is near?
(a) A farm in a valley.
9. What will become of Berlin?
(a) It will be autonomous.
(b) It will be rebuilt to original plans.
(c) It will be under Soviet rule.
(d) It will be divided.
10. What happens when Lore and her siblings must cross a river with a broken bridge?
(a) Lore and Peter almost drown.
(b) Most of the food is lost to the current.
(c) Tomas only helps the younger kids.
(d) Leisel almost drowns.
11. What does the confrontation at the train station indicate about the Third Reich's concerns?
(a) The Third Reich are adamant about having an organized train station schedule.
(b) The soldiers are concerned about the well-being of the everyday man.
(c) The soldiers are unsure of the population's loyalty to the Third Reich.
(d) The Third Reich are suspicious of photo documentation.
12. What are Lore's nightmares about?
(a) The end of the war is not really here.
(b) Strangers blocking their way to Oma's.
(c) German Nazis taking her parents away.
(d) Americans taking their food.
13. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
(a) He may be strong enough to be a soldier.
(b) It seems as empty there as in the city.
(c) His arm is strong but his body is weak.
(d) Mutti and Papi are still proud of his work.
14. What dilemma does Lore run into by the second day out?
(a) Whether to buy milk for Peter or bread for the rest of the children.
(b) Whether to stay on the road or walk through fields.
(c) Whether to continue to walk or buy train tickets.
(d) Whether to ask for directions or avoid conversations with people.
15. What does Lore hear at the hideout when she listens out the window?
(a) Everything is quiet.
(b) Tanks over rubble in the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
2. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
3. What occurs overnight at the church Lore and the children sleep in?
4. How does Helmut react to his photos of the gypsies?
5. What happens to Mutti and Papi after the second bombing?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)