|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
(a) In Gladigau's shop.
(b) In a cellar.
(c) At the train station.
(d) In an abandoned bakery.
2. What happens to Helmut's feelings about being a soldier in Section 4?
(a) They have died since the bombings.
(b) They changed after seeing the veterans.
(c) They are still strong.
(d) He feels hesitant about it.
3. What is Helmut's ritual when bombs fall in closely?
(a) Look blankly outside the window for the lights.
(b) Cover his ears, close his eyes, and pray in the dark.
(c) Scream at the noise.
(d) Take cover in the dark room.
4. What major obstacle must Lore face on their way to Oma's?
(a) They cannot remember where Oma's house is.
(b) It is winter season and bitterly cold.
(c) There is no money for food.
(d) There is no post or trains available.
5. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
(a) During the summer months.
(b) During the winter months.
(c) When the refugees and veterans fill the streets of Berlin again.
(d) Immediately after the bombings take place.
6. What dilemma does Lore run into by the second day out?
(a) Whether to continue to walk or buy train tickets.
(b) Whether to buy milk for Peter or bread for the rest of the children.
(c) Whether to ask for directions or avoid conversations with people.
(d) Whether to stay on the road or walk through fields.
7. How does Mutti react when her children fight amongst each other?
(a) She throws a cup down.
(b) She punishes each one individually.
(c) She does nothing but goes to sleep.
(d) She yells at them to behave.
8. Where is Gladigau after the second bombing?
(a) She is assumed to have died.
(b) She is hiding in the dark room.
(c) She is assumed to have evacuated.
(d) She is waiting for Helmut at the train station.
9. What images of veterans are described in Section 4?
(a) They are disabled and homeless.
(b) There is a parade for their return.
(c) Families give them warm welcomings.
(d) They walk proudly.
10. Who commits suicide just days after Helmut's last photo?
11. How is Helmut's ability as a darkroom technician described?
(c) Slow but progressive.
(d) Accurate and skillful.
12. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
(a) He is recently named Berlin's historian.
(b) He meets with Gladigau again after a long time.
(c) He is a soldier.
(d) He meets his parents again after a long time.
13. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
(a) He opens the shop under his name.
(b) He gains real employment at the train station.
(c) He shows Gladigau his documentation of Berlin.
(d) He is accepted by the army.
14. How do Helmut's parents deny his birth defect?
(a) They see a second doctor.
(b) The parents push him to be normal.
(c) They ignore Helmut as he grows up.
(d) They tell Helmut it is all in his mind.
15. What transaction occurs between Mutti and the visitors from the jeep?
(a) They search her home.
(b) They both sign some papers.
(c) They hand Mutti some food.
(d) Mutti hands them money and jewelry.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Lore begin to trust Tomas?
2. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
3. How are Lore and the children able to get food when there is no money?
4. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
5. What does Leisel do to anger Lore?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)