|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Helmut's parents deny his birth defect?
(a) They ignore Helmut as he grows up.
(b) The parents push him to be normal.
(c) They see a second doctor.
(d) They tell Helmut it is all in his mind.
2. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
(a) He meets with Gladigau again after a long time.
(b) He is recently named Berlin's historian.
(c) He meets his parents again after a long time.
(d) He is a soldier.
3. What does Lore have to give up to get more food and shelter for a night?
(a) Mutti's earrings.
(b) Mutti's wedding ring.
(c) The rest of their money.
(d) Their twins' extra clothing and boots.
4. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
(a) When the refugees and veterans fill the streets of Berlin again.
(b) During the summer months.
(c) During the winter months.
(d) Immediately after the bombings take place.
5. What is the woman's reaction when Lore asks about the amount of food provided compared to the payment?
(a) She gets angry that Lore is unappreciative.
(b) She takes the food and gives Lore's payment back.
(c) She offers more food that she was hiding.
(d) She shrugs and later apologizes.
6. Why is Mutti "clever" for having something on the table every night?
(a) Mutti is a busy woman with a full-time job.
(b) Mutti is a first-class chef.
(c) She is able to make dinner despite their poverty.
(d) She helps Helmut's arm get stronger.
7. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
(a) He is not a soldier.
(b) The way his mother looks at him.
(c) He takes bad photos.
(d) His sad expressions in family photos.
8. Who does Vati work for?
(a) The German Intelligence Agency.
(b) The Nizkor Project.
(c) The German army.
(d) A farmer.
9. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
(a) He opens the shop under his name.
(b) He is accepted by the army.
(c) He shows Gladigau his documentation of Berlin.
(d) He gains real employment at the train station.
10. Who are the people that are leaving the city and where are they going?
(a) Jewish citizens going to prison camps.
(b) Soldiers going to war and jobs outside the city.
(c) Members of the Nazi party going to Switzerland.
(d) Regular German citizens moving to rural areas.
11. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
(a) She thinks it is not as bad as she assumed it would be.
(b) She is grateful for her siblings' good behavior.
(c) She is tired of being the caretaker.
(d) She wants to stop and not go any further.
12. Who helps Helmut when he is confronted at the train station?
(b) A stranger.
(c) The train station guard.
(d) A soldier.
13. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
(a) Helmut is not very bright.
(b) Helmut takes bad pictures for Gladigau.
(c) Because Helmut cannot join the army.
(d) She considers his quiet behavior rude.
14. What does Leisel do to anger Lore?
(a) Call out for Vati in the middle of town.
(b) Talk to strangers.
(c) Mention Mutti and the camp out loud.
(d) Refuse to walk further without more food.
15. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
(a) His arm is strong but his body is weak.
(b) He may be strong enough to be a soldier.
(c) Mutti and Papi are still proud of his work.
(d) It seems as empty there as in the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
2. What happens when Lore and her siblings must cross a river with a broken bridge?
3. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
4. How is Papi best described?
5. When does Lore begin to trust Tomas?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)