|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Helmut when he is confronted at the train station?
(a) A stranger.
(b) A soldier.
(c) The train station guard.
2. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
(a) She thinks it is not as bad as she assumed it would be.
(b) She is tired of being the caretaker.
(c) She wants to stop and not go any further.
(d) She is grateful for her siblings' good behavior.
3. What bad sign occurs on the first day of the children's trip?
(a) Lore spills some of the food.
(b) The twins fight the whole way.
(c) Juri strains an ankle.
(d) Leisel will not carry her share.
4. How is Helmut's ability as a darkroom technician described?
(a) Slow but progressive.
(b) Accurate and skillful.
5. How does Helmut feel about the veterans at the train station?
(a) He is appalled by their actions.
(b) He is jealous and hates them.
(c) He is starstruck and tries to speak with them.
(d) He recognizes that he is better off than they are.
6. What will become of Berlin?
(a) It will be rebuilt to original plans.
(b) It will be autonomous.
(c) It will be under Soviet rule.
(d) It will be divided.
7. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
(a) A man in a noose.
(b) Piles of starved, naked people.
(c) A burning cross.
(d) Swastika banners on fire.
8. What makes the children start to fight when Mutti speaks with the farmer?
(a) The twins want candy.
(b) Juri hits Leisel for waking him up.
(c) Lore pinches Leisel for trying to open the door.
(d) Peter wakes up crying.
9. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
(a) Diapers and extra clothing.
(b) Her mother's earrings.
(c) Some of their food for the woman and her child.
(d) Some money.
10. What opportunity opens up for Papi?
(a) Papi works at the train station.
(b) A management position.
(c) Papi works for the army.
(d) A full-time photographer posiiton.
11. What is Tomas' tattoo most likely to be?
(a) A prisoner's marker.
(b) A Nazi marker.
(c) A cross.
(d) The Jewish marker from the Holocaust.
12. When does Lore begin to trust Tomas?
(a) When she lets Tomas sleep close to her.
(b) When she tells him about Mutti and the camp.
(c) When Tomas returns with the twins and Peter.
(d) When Tomas safely brings them across the border.
13. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
14. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
(a) Because Helmut cannot join the army.
(b) Helmut takes bad pictures for Gladigau.
(c) She considers his quiet behavior rude.
(d) Helmut is not very bright.
15. Who comes to visit Mutti in a jeep?
(b) The British.
(d) The French.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lore's family hiding from when they go into hiding?
2. What is Helmut's political stance in 1945 as described in Section 5?
3. Why is Mutti "clever" for having something on the table every night?
4. What does Helmut enjoy most about the train station?
5. How does Helmut feel as the war progresses?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)