|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Helm's notebook at the train station?
(a) It gets wet and ruined in the rain.
(b) It is confiscated by a soldier.
(c) It gets lost in the wind and ruined by a passing train.
(d) The train station guard tells him to put it away.
2. Where does Helmut find safety after the second bombing is over?
(a) Gladigau's apartment.
(b) A bakery.
(c) The dark room.
(d) The train station.
3. Who helps Helmut when he is confronted at the train station?
(a) A stranger.
(b) The train station guard.
(d) A soldier.
4. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
(a) The local baker.
(b) Another man who has lost his family.
(c) The train station guard.
(d) A veteran.
5. What is Helmut's secret agenda regarding the photos he takes of Berlin?
(a) Counting the population decline of Berlin.
(b) Documenting train station details.
(c) Documenting the brutality of the SS for evidence.
(d) Making a collage for Gladigau.
6. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is recently named Berlin's historian.
(c) He meets with Gladigau again after a long time.
(d) He meets his parents again after a long time.
7. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
(a) At the train station.
(b) In a cellar.
(c) In Gladigau's shop.
(d) In an abandoned bakery.
8. How does Helmut gain friends as a child?
(a) He takes photos of them.
(b) He impresses them with his knowledge about trains.
(c) He is an extrovert.
(d) He buys sweets.
9. Who comes to visit Mutti in a jeep?
(a) The French.
(d) The British.
10. What does Lore do with the badges of the party?
(a) She buries them in the bushes.
(b) She burns them.
(c) She sews them into her apron.
(d) She throws them in the river.
11. What will become of Berlin?
(a) It will be under Soviet rule.
(b) It will be rebuilt to original plans.
(c) It will be autonomous.
(d) It will be divided.
12. How do Helmut's parents deny his birth defect?
(a) They tell Helmut it is all in his mind.
(b) They see a second doctor.
(c) They ignore Helmut as he grows up.
(d) The parents push him to be normal.
13. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
14. What is Helmut's political stance in 1945 as described in Section 5?
(a) He is a secret communist.
(b) He is loyal to the Third Reich.
(c) He follows nationalism.
(d) He does not care anymore.
15. What happens when Lore and her siblings must cross a river with a broken bridge?
(a) Most of the food is lost to the current.
(b) Leisel almost drowns.
(c) Tomas only helps the younger kids.
(d) Lore and Peter almost drown.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Helmut's ability as a darkroom technician described?
2. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
3. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
4. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
5. Where is Helmut born?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)