Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Helmut consistently obtain food?
(a) He takes photos in exchange for food.
(b) He sweeps the train station in exchange for food.
(c) He begs when the bakery truck comes in every day.
(d) He visits the soup kitchen everyday.
2. What do patrons at the shop give instead of money for food?
(a) Any goods the man behind the counter needs.
3. How does Helmut gain friends as a child?
(a) He is an extrovert.
(b) He impresses them with his knowledge about trains.
(c) He takes photos of them.
(d) He buys sweets.
4. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
(a) He is not a soldier.
(b) His sad expressions in family photos.
(c) The way his mother looks at him.
(d) He takes bad photos.
5. Who knocks on Helmut's door when the second bombing occurs?
(a) SS men.
(c) A 14 year old gunner.
(d) The neighbor's mother.
6. How does Mutti react when her children fight amongst each other?
(a) She punishes each one individually.
(b) She throws a cup down.
(c) She yells at them to behave.
(d) She does nothing but goes to sleep.
7. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
(a) Cameras are too bulky to shoot in secret.
(b) Pictures do not exactly match what the witness really sees.
(c) The cameras are heavy with too many parts.
(d) The developed colors are never correct.
8. What does the confrontation at the train station indicate about the Third Reich's concerns?
(a) The Third Reich are suspicious of photo documentation.
(b) The Third Reich are adamant about having an organized train station schedule.
(c) The soldiers are unsure of the population's loyalty to the Third Reich.
(d) The soldiers are concerned about the well-being of the everyday man.
9. What happens to Mutti and Papi after the second bombing?
(a) They are assumed dead.
(b) They are assumed to have evacuated.
(c) They are hiding in the cellar.
(d) They are stuck under the rubble.
10. How are Lore and the children able to get food when there is no money?
(a) They offer farmers labor in exchange for food.
(b) They are unable to get food for days.
(c) They beg from farmers or dig up their potatoes.
(d) They buy food with coupons.
11. Who does Vati work for?
(a) The German army.
(b) The Nizkor Project.
(c) The German Intelligence Agency.
(d) A farmer.
12. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
(a) He gains real employment at the train station.
(b) He shows Gladigau his documentation of Berlin.
(c) He opens the shop under his name.
(d) He is accepted by the army.
13. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
(a) Whether or not to evacuate Berlin.
(b) Whether the gypsies deserved the beatings.
(c) Whether Helmut should approach Papi about his feelings.
(d) Whether the Nazi party are good people.
14. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
(a) They curse him for his crooked arm.
(b) Most ignore him.
(c) Many beg him for bread.
(d) They resent him for not fighting in the front.
15. What transaction occurs between Mutti and the visitors from the jeep?
(a) They search her home.
(b) They hand Mutti some food.
(c) They both sign some papers.
(d) Mutti hands them money and jewelry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the farmer's son tell Lore?
2. What dilemma does Lore run into by the second day out?
3. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
4. Where are the refugees coming from?
5. Where is Helmut born?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)