|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to visit Mutti in a jeep?
(a) The French.
(d) The British.
2. What does Gladigau's neighborhood look like when Helmut finds it?
(a) It looks worse than his.
(b) It is unscathed.
(c) It is on fire.
(d) There is no more neighborhood.
3. How are Lore and her siblings received by the first set of strangers they meet?
(a) With disdain.
(b) With pity.
(c) With care and concern.
4. What happens to Helmut's feelings about being a soldier in Section 4?
(a) They changed after seeing the veterans.
(b) They are still strong.
(c) They have died since the bombings.
(d) He feels hesitant about it.
5. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
(a) Cameras are too bulky to shoot in secret.
(b) The developed colors are never correct.
(c) Pictures do not exactly match what the witness really sees.
(d) The cameras are heavy with too many parts.
6. What does the farmer's son tell Lore?
(a) Vati and Mutti are evil.
(b) His father is going to evict her family.
(c) Mutti is trying to get rid of the children but no one wants them.
(d) Vati is probably with the Russians.
7. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
(a) Helmut is not very bright.
(b) Helmut takes bad pictures for Gladigau.
(c) Because Helmut cannot join the army.
(d) She considers his quiet behavior rude.
8. How does Helmut react to his photos of the gypsies?
(a) He is surprised at the good action shots.
(b) He is excited about the bright colors of the gypsy clothing.
(c) He is angry at the results.
(d) He is angry that he took the pictures instead of trying to stop the SS.
9. How are Lore and the children able to get food when there is no money?
(a) They offer farmers labor in exchange for food.
(b) They buy food with coupons.
(c) They beg from farmers or dig up their potatoes.
(d) They are unable to get food for days.
10. How does Helmut consistently obtain food?
(a) He sweeps the train station in exchange for food.
(b) He takes photos in exchange for food.
(c) He begs when the bakery truck comes in every day.
(d) He visits the soup kitchen everyday.
11. What are Lore's nightmares about?
(a) Americans taking their food.
(b) German Nazis taking her parents away.
(c) Strangers blocking their way to Oma's.
(d) The end of the war is not really here.
12. What bad sign occurs on the first day of the children's trip?
(a) The twins fight the whole way.
(b) Lore spills some of the food.
(c) Juri strains an ankle.
(d) Leisel will not carry her share.
13. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
(a) She wants to stop and not go any further.
(b) She is grateful for her siblings' good behavior.
(c) She thinks it is not as bad as she assumed it would be.
(d) She is tired of being the caretaker.
14. How does Helmut feel as the war progresses?
15. What is Helmut's reaction during the second bombing?
(a) He yells and runs to the cellar with the other tenants.
(b) He cries and stays in his bed until it is all over.
(c) He yells for his parents while running around the streets.
(d) He walks outside and wanders the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
2. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
3. What is Helmut's political stance in 1945 as described in Section 5?
4. How do Helmut's parents deny his birth defect?
5. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)