|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lore's family hiding from when they go into hiding?
(a) The townspeople who hate them.
(b) The Nazi party.
(c) The French army.
(d) The American and Russian army.
2. What are usually Lore's first and last thoughts of the day?
(b) The farmer's son.
(c) The war's end.
(d) Mutti's health.
3. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
(a) She is tired of being the caretaker.
(b) She is grateful for her siblings' good behavior.
(c) She wants to stop and not go any further.
(d) She thinks it is not as bad as she assumed it would be.
4. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
(a) Argues that they are liars.
(b) Begs them for money.
(c) Spews out Nazi speeches and logic.
(d) Scolds them for being cowards.
5. What will become of Berlin?
(a) It will be autonomous.
(b) It will be rebuilt to original plans.
(c) It will be divided.
(d) It will be under Soviet rule.
6. What does Lore hear at the hideout when she listens out the window?
(b) Tanks over rubble in the streets.
(d) Everything is quiet.
7. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
(a) A burning cross.
(b) A man in a noose.
(c) Piles of starved, naked people.
(d) Swastika banners on fire.
8. What makes the children start to fight when Mutti speaks with the farmer?
(a) Peter wakes up crying.
(b) Lore pinches Leisel for trying to open the door.
(c) The twins want candy.
(d) Juri hits Leisel for waking him up.
9. What transaction occurs between Mutti and the visitors from the jeep?
(a) They hand Mutti some food.
(b) They both sign some papers.
(c) Mutti hands them money and jewelry.
(d) They search her home.
10. How are Lore and her siblings received by the first set of strangers they meet?
(a) With pity.
(c) With care and concern.
(d) With disdain.
11. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
(a) He opens the shop under his name.
(b) He shows Gladigau his documentation of Berlin.
(c) He gains real employment at the train station.
(d) He is accepted by the army.
12. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
(a) A young man they see at the shop and at the soup line.
(b) Leisel, who is sick.
(c) The old woman.
13. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
(a) They curse him for his crooked arm.
(b) They resent him for not fighting in the front.
(c) Many beg him for bread.
(d) Most ignore him.
14. How does Gladigau view Papi and his family?
(a) Gladigau abhors the way Papi treats his family.
(b) Gladigau tries to help them achieve prosperity.
(c) Gladigau respects their status.
(d) Gladigau views Papi strictly as an employee.
15. How does Helmut feel about the veterans at the train station?
(a) He is appalled by their actions.
(b) He recognizes that he is better off than they are.
(c) He is starstruck and tries to speak with them.
(d) He is jealous and hates them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mutti react when her children fight amongst each other?
2. Who does Helmut pose with in his smiling picture?
3. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
4. What is Helmut's ritual when bombs fall in closely?
5. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)