|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who knocks on Helmut's door when the second bombing occurs?
(a) A 14 year old gunner.
(b) The neighbor's mother.
(c) SS men.
2. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
(a) Argues that they are liars.
(b) Spews out Nazi speeches and logic.
(c) Begs them for money.
(d) Scolds them for being cowards.
3. What are Lore's nightmares about?
(a) Americans taking their food.
(b) German Nazis taking her parents away.
(c) The end of the war is not really here.
(d) Strangers blocking their way to Oma's.
4. What do Gladigau and Helmut first film with color?
(a) Gypsies in their bright clothing.
(b) A victory parade.
(c) Autumn trees.
(d) A banner-lined street with swastika emblems.
5. What does a woman offer Lore when Lore sits down very tired?
(a) Help with directions.
(b) A place to nap.
(c) A way to get to Oma's.
(d) Her last milk and bread.
6. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
(a) He wants to make Gladigau proud.
(b) He wants to join the army.
(c) He believes it will help him be a better photographer.
(d) He wants to impress Edda.
7. How is Papi best described?
(a) Hard working.
(b) Disloyal to the Third Reich.
(c) Happy and cheerful.
(d) Proud of his son.
8. What happens to Helm's notebook at the train station?
(a) It gets lost in the wind and ruined by a passing train.
(b) It gets wet and ruined in the rain.
(c) The train station guard tells him to put it away.
(d) It is confiscated by a soldier.
9. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
(a) The cameras are heavy with too many parts.
(b) The developed colors are never correct.
(c) Cameras are too bulky to shoot in secret.
(d) Pictures do not exactly match what the witness really sees.
10. What major obstacle must Lore face on their way to Oma's?
(a) There is no post or trains available.
(b) There is no money for food.
(c) They cannot remember where Oma's house is.
(d) It is winter season and bitterly cold.
11. How does Gladigau view Papi and his family?
(a) Gladigau respects their status.
(b) Gladigau tries to help them achieve prosperity.
(c) Gladigau views Papi strictly as an employee.
(d) Gladigau abhors the way Papi treats his family.
12. What does Mutti bring back from town after days of being sick?
(c) News of the Fürher's death.
13. Why does Lore bury the last of Vati's pictures?
(a) All the keepsakes are weighing her down.
(b) She is fearful of the evidence.
(c) Leisel keeps asking for them so Lore gets rid of them.
(d) To keep them safe until she can return for them another time.
14. What is Tomas' tattoo most likely to be?
(a) A cross.
(b) A prisoner's marker.
(c) A Nazi marker.
(d) The Jewish marker from the Holocaust.
15. When does Lore begin to trust Tomas?
(a) When Tomas returns with the twins and Peter.
(b) When she tells him about Mutti and the camp.
(c) When she lets Tomas sleep close to her.
(d) When Tomas safely brings them across the border.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
2. What does the old woman lie to Lore about to get money?
3. What does the confrontation at the train station indicate about the Third Reich's concerns?
4. How does Helmut react to his photos of the gypsies?
5. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)