|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Lore and her siblings must cross a river with a broken bridge?
(a) Lore and Peter almost drown.
(b) Most of the food is lost to the current.
(c) Tomas only helps the younger kids.
(d) Leisel almost drowns.
2. How many siblings does Lore have?
3. Where are the children when Lore sees the crowd by the tree?
(a) Already at the tree with the crowd.
(b) In the bread line.
(c) Playing with a young man they meet in the square.
(d) Waiting at a railway station.
4. Where is Gladigau after the second bombing?
(a) She is waiting for Helmut at the train station.
(b) She is assumed to have died.
(c) She is assumed to have evacuated.
(d) She is hiding in the dark room.
5. What is Tomas' tattoo most likely to be?
(a) A cross.
(b) A Nazi marker.
(c) The Jewish marker from the Holocaust.
(d) A prisoner's marker.
6. What does Helmut notice about the train station?
(a) The number of trains is increasing.
(b) There are more people departing than arriving.
(c) The people leaving are all soldiers.
(d) The number of trains is decreasing.
7. What major obstacle must Lore face on their way to Oma's?
(a) It is winter season and bitterly cold.
(b) There is no post or trains available.
(c) They cannot remember where Oma's house is.
(d) There is no money for food.
8. What does Leisel do to anger Lore?
(a) Mention Mutti and the camp out loud.
(b) Talk to strangers.
(c) Refuse to walk further without more food.
(d) Call out for Vati in the middle of town.
9. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
(a) The local baker.
(b) The train station guard.
(c) A veteran.
(d) Another man who has lost his family.
10. Where are the refugees coming from?
(a) From Italy.
(b) The Steppes.
(c) The eastern front.
(d) The western front.
11. What is Helmut's secret agenda regarding the photos he takes of Berlin?
(a) Documenting train station details.
(b) Making a collage for Gladigau.
(c) Counting the population decline of Berlin.
(d) Documenting the brutality of the SS for evidence.
12. How does Helmut react to his photos of the gypsies?
(a) He is excited about the bright colors of the gypsy clothing.
(b) He is angry that he took the pictures instead of trying to stop the SS.
(c) He is surprised at the good action shots.
(d) He is angry at the results.
13. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
(a) In Gladigau's shop.
(b) At the train station.
(c) In an abandoned bakery.
(d) In a cellar.
14. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
(a) Diapers and extra clothing.
(b) Her mother's earrings.
(c) Some money.
(d) Some of their food for the woman and her child.
15. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep on their second night?
(a) On a cart.
(b) In a young man's home.
(c) Outside on the ground.
(d) In a barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the farmer's son tell Lore?
2. How does the reader know the woman who helps Lore is also in bad shape?
3. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
4. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
5. Who commits suicide just days after Helmut's last photo?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)