|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
(a) He wants to join the army.
(b) He believes it will help him be a better photographer.
(c) He wants to impress Edda.
(d) He wants to make Gladigau proud.
2. What part of Germany is Lore's family from?
3. How does the reader know the woman who helps Lore is also in bad shape?
(a) The food she offers is spoiled.
(b) There is no soap or extra food.
(c) The blankets she lends them are worn through.
(d) She lives in a shed.
4. What does Helmut notice about the train station?
(a) The number of trains is decreasing.
(b) The number of trains is increasing.
(c) The people leaving are all soldiers.
(d) There are more people departing than arriving.
5. What are usually Lore's first and last thoughts of the day?
(a) The farmer's son.
(b) Mutti's health.
(c) The war's end.
6. Who knocks on Helmut's door when the second bombing occurs?
(b) SS men.
(c) A 14 year old gunner.
(d) The neighbor's mother.
7. What changes described in Section 3 are occurring in Germany's economy?
(a) The war has no effect on the economy.
(b) There is a lot of food but less material goods.
(c) Everything is to be rationed.
(d) There is a surplus of material goods.
8. Who is Lore's family hiding from when they go into hiding?
(a) The French army.
(b) The Nazi party.
(c) The American and Russian army.
(d) The townspeople who hate them.
9. What are Lore's nightmares about?
(a) Americans taking their food.
(b) The end of the war is not really here.
(c) Strangers blocking their way to Oma's.
(d) German Nazis taking her parents away.
10. How is Helmut's ability as a darkroom technician described?
(a) Accurate and skillful.
(c) Slow but progressive.
11. What does Gladigau's neighborhood look like when Helmut finds it?
(a) There is no more neighborhood.
(b) It is unscathed.
(c) It looks worse than his.
(d) It is on fire.
12. How are Helmut's winters described?
(a) Cold at the train station.
(b) Lonely in the dark room.
(c) Cozy in the cellar.
(d) Sleepless overall.
13. Why does Lore bury the last of Vati's pictures?
(a) All the keepsakes are weighing her down.
(b) She is fearful of the evidence.
(c) To keep them safe until she can return for them another time.
(d) Leisel keeps asking for them so Lore gets rid of them.
14. Who comes to visit Mutti in a jeep?
(a) The French.
(b) The British.
15. Who does Vati work for?
(a) The Nizkor Project.
(b) A farmer.
(c) The German Intelligence Agency.
(d) The German army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
2. What is Helmut's secret agenda regarding the photos he takes of Berlin?
3. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
4. What is the reaction of the refugees when they first meet Helmut?
5. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)