|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
(a) Her mother's earrings.
(b) Some money.
(c) Diapers and extra clothing.
(d) Some of their food for the woman and her child.
2. Who is Lore's family hiding from when they go into hiding?
(a) The townspeople who hate them.
(b) The French army.
(c) The American and Russian army.
(d) The Nazi party.
3. What does Lore have to give up to get more food and shelter for a night?
(a) Their twins' extra clothing and boots.
(b) Mutti's earrings.
(c) Mutti's wedding ring.
(d) The rest of their money.
4. What do families feel towards Helmut before the bombing?
5. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
(a) Whether Helmut should approach Papi about his feelings.
(b) Whether the Nazi party are good people.
(c) Whether the gypsies deserved the beatings.
(d) Whether or not to evacuate Berlin.
6. What does a woman offer Lore when Lore sits down very tired?
(a) Her last milk and bread.
(b) Help with directions.
(c) A way to get to Oma's.
(d) A place to nap.
7. How does Helmut feel about the veterans at the train station?
(a) He is jealous and hates them.
(b) He is starstruck and tries to speak with them.
(c) He recognizes that he is better off than they are.
(d) He is appalled by their actions.
8. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
(a) The family cannot pay for a real doctor.
(b) They are all underweight and pale.
(c) The description of "drawer-for-a-cot."
(d) Their meals are very meager.
9. What will become of Berlin?
(a) It will be under Soviet rule.
(b) It will be rebuilt to original plans.
(c) It will be autonomous.
(d) It will be divided.
10. Who helps Helmut when he is confronted at the train station?
(a) The train station guard.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A stranger.
11. What bad sign occurs on the first day of the children's trip?
(a) Leisel will not carry her share.
(b) The twins fight the whole way.
(c) Lore spills some of the food.
(d) Juri strains an ankle.
12. How are Lore and her siblings received by the first set of strangers they meet?
(a) With pity.
(b) With disdain.
(d) With care and concern.
13. How many siblings does Lore have?
14. Why does Lore bury the last of Vati's pictures?
(a) To keep them safe until she can return for them another time.
(b) Leisel keeps asking for them so Lore gets rid of them.
(c) She is fearful of the evidence.
(d) All the keepsakes are weighing her down.
15. Which of Helmut's family portraits does Papi usually prefer?
(a) Ones that hide Helmut's birth defect.
(b) Ones that include Helmut smiling.
(c) Ones that show the entire family smiling and proud.
(d) Ones that include Helmut in uniform.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lore's reaction to the twin's sprawl on the ground?
2. What thought is on everyone's mind while Lore's family is in hiding?
3. Why does the farmer's wife ask if Lore's mother is still around?
4. Who does Helmut pose with in his smiling picture?
5. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)