|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
(a) Their final destination.
(b) Their Nazi affiliation.
(c) Their real names.
(d) That Mutti and Vati are not with them.
2. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
(a) He wants to impress Edda.
(b) He wants to join the army.
(c) He believes it will help him be a better photographer.
(d) He wants to make Gladigau proud.
3. Where is their destination when Lore and her siblings leave the hideout?
4. Who comes to visit Mutti in a jeep?
(a) The French.
(b) The British.
5. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
(a) She is tired of being the caretaker.
(b) She is grateful for her siblings' good behavior.
(c) She wants to stop and not go any further.
(d) She thinks it is not as bad as she assumed it would be.
6. What does Leisel do to anger Lore?
(a) Call out for Vati in the middle of town.
(b) Mention Mutti and the camp out loud.
(c) Refuse to walk further without more food.
(d) Talk to strangers.
7. What is Helmut's secret agenda regarding the photos he takes of Berlin?
(a) Documenting the brutality of the SS for evidence.
(b) Counting the population decline of Berlin.
(c) Making a collage for Gladigau.
(d) Documenting train station details.
8. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
(a) Mutti and Papi are still proud of his work.
(b) It seems as empty there as in the city.
(c) He may be strong enough to be a soldier.
(d) His arm is strong but his body is weak.
9. Who are the people that are leaving the city and where are they going?
(a) Regular German citizens moving to rural areas.
(b) Members of the Nazi party going to Switzerland.
(c) Jewish citizens going to prison camps.
(d) Soldiers going to war and jobs outside the city.
10. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
(a) During the winter months.
(b) When the refugees and veterans fill the streets of Berlin again.
(c) Immediately after the bombings take place.
(d) During the summer months.
11. How are Lore and the children able to get food when there is no money?
(a) They buy food with coupons.
(b) They offer farmers labor in exchange for food.
(c) They are unable to get food for days.
(d) They beg from farmers or dig up their potatoes.
12. What are Lore's nightmares about?
(a) Americans taking their food.
(b) German Nazis taking her parents away.
(c) Strangers blocking their way to Oma's.
(d) The end of the war is not really here.
13. How do Helmut's parents deny his birth defect?
(a) They ignore Helmut as he grows up.
(b) The parents push him to be normal.
(c) They see a second doctor.
(d) They tell Helmut it is all in his mind.
14. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
(a) Their meals are very meager.
(b) They are all underweight and pale.
(c) The family cannot pay for a real doctor.
(d) The description of "drawer-for-a-cot."
15. Where does Helmut find safety after the second bombing is over?
(a) A bakery.
(b) The train station.
(c) The dark room.
(d) Gladigau's apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helmut notice about the train station?
2. What images of veterans are described in Section 4?
3. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
4. Who knocks on Helmut's door when the second bombing occurs?
5. What is the biggest difference to Lore between her hometown and her hideout?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)