|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Helmut's secret agenda regarding the photos he takes of Berlin?
(a) Documenting the brutality of the SS for evidence.
(b) Documenting train station details.
(c) Counting the population decline of Berlin.
(d) Making a collage for Gladigau.
2. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
(a) He shows Gladigau his documentation of Berlin.
(b) He gains real employment at the train station.
(c) He is accepted by the army.
(d) He opens the shop under his name.
3. What does Leisel do to anger Lore?
(a) Call out for Vati in the middle of town.
(b) Refuse to walk further without more food.
(c) Mention Mutti and the camp out loud.
(d) Talk to strangers.
4. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
(a) In an abandoned bakery.
(b) In a cellar.
(c) In Gladigau's shop.
(d) At the train station.
5. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
(a) Spews out Nazi speeches and logic.
(b) Begs them for money.
(c) Argues that they are liars.
(d) Scolds them for being cowards.
6. Where do Lore and her siblings sleep on their second night?
(a) Outside on the ground.
(b) In a young man's home.
(c) On a cart.
(d) In a barn.
7. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
(a) He is a soldier.
(b) He is recently named Berlin's historian.
(c) He meets with Gladigau again after a long time.
(d) He meets his parents again after a long time.
8. What do families feel towards Helmut before the bombing?
9. What is Helmut's new job in 1945?
(a) He is Berlin's historian.
(b) He takes tickets from passengers at the train station.
(c) He digs trenches and piles rubble.
(d) He is the owner of a photo shop.
10. What is the woman's reaction when Lore asks about the amount of food provided compared to the payment?
(a) She shrugs and later apologizes.
(b) She offers more food that she was hiding.
(c) She takes the food and gives Lore's payment back.
(d) She gets angry that Lore is unappreciative.
11. What opportunity opens up for Papi?
(a) A management position.
(b) Papi works at the train station.
(c) Papi works for the army.
(d) A full-time photographer posiiton.
12. What are Lore's feelings after several days on the road?
(a) She is grateful for her siblings' good behavior.
(b) She thinks it is not as bad as she assumed it would be.
(c) She is tired of being the caretaker.
(d) She wants to stop and not go any further.
13. What are usually Lore's first and last thoughts of the day?
(a) Mutti's health.
(c) The farmer's son.
(d) The war's end.
14. What will become of Berlin?
(a) It will be under Soviet rule.
(b) It will be divided.
(c) It will be autonomous.
(d) It will be rebuilt to original plans.
15. What does Helmut notice during the family beach vacation?
(a) It seems as empty there as in the city.
(b) He may be strong enough to be a soldier.
(c) His arm is strong but his body is weak.
(d) Mutti and Papi are still proud of his work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do patrons at the shop give instead of money for food?
2. What is Lore's reaction to the twin's sprawl on the ground?
3. What happens to Helm's notebook at the train station?
4. Why does the farmer's wife ask if Lore's mother is still around?
5. Who are the people that are leaving the city and where are they going?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)