|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
2. What are usually Lore's first and last thoughts of the day?
(a) The war's end.
(c) The farmer's son.
(d) Mutti's health.
3. What major obstacle must Lore face on their way to Oma's?
(a) There is no money for food.
(b) There is no post or trains available.
(c) It is winter season and bitterly cold.
(d) They cannot remember where Oma's house is.
4. What thought is on everyone's mind while Lore's family is in hiding?
(a) The Russians are taking over Germany.
(b) The end of the war is near.
(c) Vati will be home soon.
(d) Mutti and Vati are going to prison.
5. Where is Gladigau after the second bombing?
(a) She is hiding in the dark room.
(b) She is assumed to have died.
(c) She is waiting for Helmut at the train station.
(d) She is assumed to have evacuated.
6. What is constantly on Helmut's mind that reminds him that he is a disappointment?
(a) He is not a soldier.
(b) His sad expressions in family photos.
(c) He takes bad photos.
(d) The way his mother looks at him.
7. Who are the people that are leaving the city and where are they going?
(a) Soldiers going to war and jobs outside the city.
(b) Regular German citizens moving to rural areas.
(c) Jewish citizens going to prison camps.
(d) Members of the Nazi party going to Switzerland.
8. How are Lore and her siblings received by the first set of strangers they meet?
(a) With care and concern.
(b) With disdain.
(c) With pity.
9. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
(a) He meets with Gladigau again after a long time.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He is recently named Berlin's historian.
(d) He meets his parents again after a long time.
10. What transaction occurs between Mutti and the visitors from the jeep?
(a) They both sign some papers.
(b) They hand Mutti some food.
(c) They search her home.
(d) Mutti hands them money and jewelry.
11. How does the reader know the woman who helps Lore is also in bad shape?
(a) She lives in a shed.
(b) There is no soap or extra food.
(c) The food she offers is spoiled.
(d) The blankets she lends them are worn through.
12. Why does the farmer's wife ask if Lore's mother is still around?
(a) Mutti has possibly gone with the Americans.
(b) Mutti has possibly died.
(c) Mutti has been captured by the Nazis.
(d) Mutti has gone to find Vati.
13. What does a woman offer Lore when Lore sits down very tired?
(a) A place to nap.
(b) Help with directions.
(c) A way to get to Oma's.
(d) Her last milk and bread.
14. When does Helmut begin to take pictures of Berlin again?
(a) Immediately after the bombings take place.
(b) When the refugees and veterans fill the streets of Berlin again.
(c) During the summer months.
(d) During the winter months.
15. What does Mutti bring back from town after days of being sick?
(c) News of the Fürher's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
2. How does Helmut react to his photos of the gypsies?
3. Who does Vati work for?
4. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
5. What runs through Helmut's mind as he looks for his parents after the bombings?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)