|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
(a) A missing back muscle.
(b) A shortened arm.
(c) A missing pectoral muscle.
(d) A deformed shoulder joint.
2. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
(a) A young man they see at the shop and at the soup line.
(c) The old woman.
(d) Leisel, who is sick.
3. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
(a) A burning cross.
(b) A man in a noose.
(c) Swastika banners on fire.
(d) Piles of starved, naked people.
4. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
(a) She considers his quiet behavior rude.
(b) Because Helmut cannot join the army.
(c) Helmut is not very bright.
(d) Helmut takes bad pictures for Gladigau.
5. What are Lore's nightmares about?
(a) Americans taking their food.
(b) Strangers blocking their way to Oma's.
(c) German Nazis taking her parents away.
(d) The end of the war is not really here.
6. How does Mutti react when her children fight amongst each other?
(a) She punishes each one individually.
(b) She does nothing but goes to sleep.
(c) She yells at them to behave.
(d) She throws a cup down.
7. Who helps Helmut obtain consistent food?
(a) The train station guard.
(b) The local baker.
(c) A veteran.
(d) Another man who has lost his family.
8. Who knocks on Helmut's door when the second bombing occurs?
(a) A 14 year old gunner.
(b) SS men.
(d) The neighbor's mother.
9. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
(a) Pictures do not exactly match what the witness really sees.
(b) The developed colors are never correct.
(c) The cameras are heavy with too many parts.
(d) Cameras are too bulky to shoot in secret.
10. What is the biggest difference to Lore between her hometown and her hideout?
(a) The people at the new place are welcoming compared to the people at home.
(b) The new place seems busier than the old place.
(c) The new place is intact and not bombed out everywhere.
(d) The new place is much larger in size.
11. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
(a) He meets with Gladigau again after a long time.
(b) He is a soldier.
(c) He meets his parents again after a long time.
(d) He is recently named Berlin's historian.
12. How is Helmut's family best described in the photo at the ice cream shop?
13. What does Gladigau's neighborhood look like when Helmut finds it?
(a) It looks worse than his.
(b) It is on fire.
(c) There is no more neighborhood.
(d) It is unscathed.
14. Who are the people that are leaving the city and where are they going?
(a) Members of the Nazi party going to Switzerland.
(b) Jewish citizens going to prison camps.
(c) Regular German citizens moving to rural areas.
(d) Soldiers going to war and jobs outside the city.
15. How does Helmut feel as the war progresses?
Short Answer Questions
1. What disagreement occurs between Gladigau and Helmut?
2. What does Helmut enjoy most about the train station?
3. What happens to Helm's notebook at the train station?
4. What runs through Helmut's mind as he looks for his parents after the bombings?
5. What opportunity is Helmut given in 1945?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)