|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Helmut to smile for the first time in a photo?
(a) He meets with Gladigau again after a long time.
(b) He meets his parents again after a long time.
(c) He is recently named Berlin's historian.
(d) He is a soldier.
2. What images of veterans are described in Section 4?
(a) They are disabled and homeless.
(b) Families give them warm welcomings.
(c) They walk proudly.
(d) There is a parade for their return.
3. Who are Gladigau's most common clients?
(a) Widows and orphaned children.
(b) Widowed men and soldiers.
(c) Soldiers off to war or widowed women.
(d) Whole families.
4. How does Helmut gain friends as a child?
(a) He buys sweets.
(b) He takes photos of them.
(c) He impresses them with his knowledge about trains.
(d) He is an extrovert.
5. What secret must Lore and her siblings hide from strangers?
(a) Their final destination.
(b) Their Nazi affiliation.
(c) Their real names.
(d) That Mutti and Vati are not with them.
6. Who does Vati work for?
(a) The German army.
(b) A farmer.
(c) The German Intelligence Agency.
(d) The Nizkor Project.
7. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
(a) He wants to join the army.
(b) He wants to make Gladigau proud.
(c) He believes it will help him be a better photographer.
(d) He wants to impress Edda.
8. How are Helmut's winters described?
(a) Lonely in the dark room.
(b) Sleepless overall.
(c) Cold at the train station.
(d) Cozy in the cellar.
9. Where is Gladigau after the second bombing?
(a) She is assumed to have died.
(b) She is waiting for Helmut at the train station.
(c) She is hiding in the dark room.
(d) She is assumed to have evacuated.
10. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
(a) At the train station.
(b) In a cellar.
(c) In Gladigau's shop.
(d) In an abandoned bakery.
11. What runs through Helmut's mind as he looks for his parents after the bombings?
(a) That they might be outside of Berlin.
(b) That he will work harder for them if he gets to see them again.
(c) The possibility that they might be dead.
(d) To not let his parents see him cry.
12. How does Helmut react to his photos of the gypsies?
(a) He is surprised at the good action shots.
(b) He is excited about the bright colors of the gypsy clothing.
(c) He is angry at the results.
(d) He is angry that he took the pictures instead of trying to stop the SS.
13. Who helps Helmut when he is confronted at the train station?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A stranger.
(c) The train station guard.
14. Where are the refugees coming from?
(a) The Steppes.
(b) The eastern front.
(c) From Italy.
(d) The western front.
15. Who is Lore's family hiding from when they go into hiding?
(a) The French army.
(b) The townspeople who hate them.
(c) The Nazi party.
(d) The American and Russian army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit Mutti in a jeep?
2. What does the farmer's son tell Lore?
3. What bad sign occurs on the first day of the children's trip?
4. What opportunity opens up for Papi?
5. How many siblings does Lore have?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)