|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the biggest difference to Lore between her hometown and her hideout?
(a) The people at the new place are welcoming compared to the people at home.
(b) The new place seems busier than the old place.
(c) The new place is much larger in size.
(d) The new place is intact and not bombed out everywhere.
2. How does Seiffert first introduce Helmut's family as impoverished?
(a) The description of "drawer-for-a-cot."
(b) They are all underweight and pale.
(c) Their meals are very meager.
(d) The family cannot pay for a real doctor.
3. What does Lore leave behind when Lore and the children leave a woman's home?
(a) Her mother's earrings.
(b) Some money.
(c) Some of their food for the woman and her child.
(d) Diapers and extra clothing.
4. Who are Gladigau's most common clients?
(a) Widows and orphaned children.
(b) Whole families.
(c) Soldiers off to war or widowed women.
(d) Widowed men and soldiers.
5. Who knocks on Helmut's door when the second bombing occurs?
(a) The neighbor's mother.
(b) A 14 year old gunner.
(c) SS men.
6. What do families feel towards Helmut before the bombing?
7. Who comes to visit Mutti in a jeep?
(b) The French.
(c) The British.
8. What does Lore see in some public pictures?
(a) Piles of starved, naked people.
(b) A man in a noose.
(c) A burning cross.
(d) Swastika banners on fire.
9. What "fault" is Helmut born with?
(a) A missing back muscle.
(b) A deformed shoulder joint.
(c) A missing pectoral muscle.
(d) A shortened arm.
10. Why is Mutti "clever" for having something on the table every night?
(a) Mutti is a busy woman with a full-time job.
(b) She helps Helmut's arm get stronger.
(c) She is able to make dinner despite their poverty.
(d) Mutti is a first-class chef.
11. What images of veterans are described in Section 4?
(a) Families give them warm welcomings.
(b) They walk proudly.
(c) They are disabled and homeless.
(d) There is a parade for their return.
12. Why does Lore bury the last of Vati's pictures?
(a) She is fearful of the evidence.
(b) All the keepsakes are weighing her down.
(c) To keep them safe until she can return for them another time.
(d) Leisel keeps asking for them so Lore gets rid of them.
13. How are Lore and her siblings received by the first set of strangers they meet?
(b) With pity.
(c) With care and concern.
(d) With disdain.
14. What is Helmut's secret agenda regarding the photos he takes of Berlin?
(a) Documenting train station details.
(b) Documenting the brutality of the SS for evidence.
(c) Counting the population decline of Berlin.
(d) Making a collage for Gladigau.
15. Who does Juri offer his bread to despite his own hunger?
(a) Leisel, who is sick.
(b) The old woman.
(d) A young man they see at the shop and at the soup line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs overnight at the church Lore and the children sleep in?
2. What is Lore's role in the family?
3. What does Lore do with the badges of the party?
4. What do Gladigau and Helmut first film with color?
5. How does Helmut gain friends as a child?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)