|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Helmut's ability as a darkroom technician described?
(a) Accurate and skillful.
(c) Slow but progressive.
2. Why is Mutti embarrassed of Helmut?
(a) Because Helmut cannot join the army.
(b) Helmut takes bad pictures for Gladigau.
(c) She considers his quiet behavior rude.
(d) Helmut is not very bright.
3. What does Lore hear at the hideout when she listens out the window?
(b) Everything is quiet.
(d) Tanks over rubble in the streets.
4. What does Helmut do when he meets the refugees?
(a) Begs them for money.
(b) Spews out Nazi speeches and logic.
(c) Scolds them for being cowards.
(d) Argues that they are liars.
5. Where are the refugees coming from?
(a) From Italy.
(b) The Steppes.
(c) The western front.
(d) The eastern front.
6. What is the biggest difference to Lore between her hometown and her hideout?
(a) The people at the new place are welcoming compared to the people at home.
(b) The new place seems busier than the old place.
(c) The new place is intact and not bombed out everywhere.
(d) The new place is much larger in size.
7. What happens when Americans question Lore on the road?
(a) Lore tells them they are with the young man.
(b) Lore tells them she is on the way to Fulda.
(c) She cannot understand so she ignores them and walks on.
(d) The young man shows them papers and tells them they are siblings on their way to Oma's.
8. What fault does Helmut notice about cameras when shooting around Berlin?
(a) The cameras are heavy with too many parts.
(b) The developed colors are never correct.
(c) Pictures do not exactly match what the witness really sees.
(d) Cameras are too bulky to shoot in secret.
9. How many siblings does Lore have?
10. What does Mutti bring back from town after days of being sick?
(a) News of the Fürher's death.
11. Why does Lore bury the last of Vati's pictures?
(a) To keep them safe until she can return for them another time.
(b) All the keepsakes are weighing her down.
(c) She is fearful of the evidence.
(d) Leisel keeps asking for them so Lore gets rid of them.
12. Where does Helmut make a home after his is destroyed?
(a) In a cellar.
(b) In an abandoned bakery.
(c) In Gladigau's shop.
(d) At the train station.
13. What is the woman's reaction when Lore asks about the amount of food provided compared to the payment?
(a) She shrugs and later apologizes.
(b) She gets angry that Lore is unappreciative.
(c) She takes the food and gives Lore's payment back.
(d) She offers more food that she was hiding.
14. Who are the people that are leaving the city and where are they going?
(a) Soldiers going to war and jobs outside the city.
(b) Jewish citizens going to prison camps.
(c) Regular German citizens moving to rural areas.
(d) Members of the Nazi party going to Switzerland.
15. What motivates Helmut to exercise his arm?
(a) He believes it will help him be a better photographer.
(b) He wants to impress Edda.
(c) He wants to make Gladigau proud.
(d) He wants to join the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helmut enjoy most about the train station?
2. Who is Lore's family hiding from when they go into hiding?
3. Where are the children when Lore sees the crowd by the tree?
4. What occurs overnight at the church Lore and the children sleep in?
5. What images of veterans are described in Section 4?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)