|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alfred tell Bruce Wayne he has a recipe for?
2. What weather event does the weatherman compare to the wrath of God?
3. How old is the new Robin?
4. In the pursuit of the bank robbers, what does Batman say he needs to climb the rope?
5. The news media receive a videotape from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bruce Wayne means when he tells the news reporter, "We must believe that our private demons can be defeated..."?
2. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
3. How is the media's report on Batman's return representative of the theme of duality in the novel?
4. When Batman has the Mutants' leader in his gun scope, why does Batman not blast the Mutants' leader and eliminate the gang altogether?
5. How is Carrie Kelley a perfect Robin for Bruce Wayne's elderly Batman?
6. How does the attempted mugging of Bruce Wayne trigger a flashback to a former violent act?
7. During his initial attack on the Mutants, Batman thinks of Dick Grayson and that they had never faced anything like the Mutants' leader, only humans. Why is the significance of Batman thinking of Dick Grayson at this time?
8. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
9. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
10. In what ways are the soaring high temperatures symbolic of the violence in Gotham City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How do the author's methods at the beginning of the novel set the tone?
Part 1) How does the report of Bruce Wayne's racing accident being mentioned during the same piece as the anniversary of the last Batman sighting affect the tone?
Part 2) How does Bruce Wayne's brush with death further the tone of restlessness?
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The title of this graphic novel is "The Dark Knight Returns." Explain how the metaphor of Batman as a knight is presented and supported throughout the novel. What scenes/actions does Batman display that is reminiscent of a knight? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)