|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the bank robbers was hit by gunfire from another robber?
2. The first night of his return, Batman races through the rain the night of the big storm. What does he describe the rain as?
3. It's summer in Gotham City, and what is wrong with the weather?
4. What does Batman find on one of the bank robbers?
5. According to Batman, which of the robbers usually loses it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author write the words Morrie uses to describe Batman, "...morally bankrupt, politically hazardous, reactionary, paranoid...," on the panel of the Joker smiling and staring gleefully at the television?
2. When Batman confronts Harvey Dent, what does he mean when he thinks "...the scars go deep--too deep"?
3. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
4. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
5. How does the attempted mugging of Bruce Wayne trigger a flashback to a former violent act?
6. One of the criminals Batman hurt attempts to sue him and asks the Gotham City Police to press charges against him. What is the irony of these actions?
7. How is the media's report on Batman's return representative of the theme of duality in the novel?
8. What is the symbolic significance of the split panels for the illustrations in the scene before Harvey Dent's new face is revealed?
9. When Commissioner Gordon and Bruce Wayne talk over drinks, what is the significance of Bruce Wayne referring to himself in the third person?
10. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bruce Wayne's pushing the race car to its limits until it is engulfed in flames become symbolic of the protagonist's wish to kill Bruce Wayne? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
How do the author's methods at the beginning of the novel set the tone?
Part 1) How does the report of Bruce Wayne's racing accident being mentioned during the same piece as the anniversary of the last Batman sighting affect the tone?
Part 2) How does Bruce Wayne's brush with death further the tone of restlessness?
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)