|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Gotham City Police do to Commissioner Gordon?
2. According to Batman, how long does it take a person to fall from Gotham City's twin towers?
3. Who saves the kidnapped heir to a wealthy family?
4. After leaving the home of an old friend, Bruce Wayne walks around Gotham City and thinks about what?
5. Who do the people of Gotham City believe died in the incident at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolic significance of the split panels for the illustrations in the scene before Harvey Dent's new face is revealed?
2. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
3. Why does the author write the words Morrie uses to describe Batman, "...morally bankrupt, politically hazardous, reactionary, paranoid...," on the panel of the Joker smiling and staring gleefully at the television?
4. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
5. When Batman confronts Harvey Dent, what does he mean when he thinks "...the scars go deep--too deep"?
6. When Batman has the Mutants' leader in his gun scope, why does Batman not blast the Mutants' leader and eliminate the gang altogether?
7. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
8. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
9. When Commissioner Gordon and Bruce Wayne talk over drinks, what is the significance of Bruce Wayne referring to himself in the third person?
10. What is the significance of Bruce Wayne watching The Mask of Zorro on television?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Bruce Wayne's parents' murders? Why is this event an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
One central theme revolving through "The Dark Knight Returns" is the question of who is good and who is evil? It seems that many of the characters, including the protagonist, are not always good. Explain who you believe in the story to be truly good. Also, discuss what it means to be good. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)