|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character said, "We must believe our private demons can be defeated..."?
2. Who stalks Commissioner Gordon when he walks outside to smoke a cigar?
3. Who attacks Carrie and her friend Michelle on their way home from school?
4. As Batman makes his way up to the roof to intercept the helicopter's henchmen, what does he think should be easier?
5. After sneaking out, what does the new Robin overhear the Mutants discussing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Batman continue to use fear to cripple the younger criminals he encounters?
2. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
3. When Batman confronts Harvey Dent, what does he mean when he thinks "...the scars go deep--too deep"?
4. When Batman has the Mutants' leader in his gun scope, why does Batman not blast the Mutants' leader and eliminate the gang altogether?
5. Why does the author give a lot of detail on Margaret Corcoran only to have the Mutants blow her up at the end of the paneled section?
6. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
7. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
8. How does Batman's age affect his body during the initial nights of his return?
9. What is the symbolic significance of the split panels for the illustrations in the scene before Harvey Dent's new face is revealed?
10. What does Bruce Wayne means when he tells the news reporter, "We must believe that our private demons can be defeated..."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the graphic novel, how does the perspective of distance between the past and the present affect the main protagonist, Bruce Wayne? Analyze how Bruce Wayne's character has/has not changed during the years since the he decided to put Batman away.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the usage of art/drawings helps provide authenticity about the violence in Gotham to the graphic novel. Does it help the reader support Batman's crusade against crime? What does it reveal about the character, his background, and environment in Gotham? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Commissioner Gordon has been Bruce Wayne's friend. Describe how Commissioner Gordon and Alfred act as father figures for Bruce Wayne. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)