|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Gotham City Police believe will happen when Commissioner Gordon leaves?
2. Why doesn't Bruce Wayne drive his car home after leaving the house of an old friend?
3. Who appears on the news to announce that Harvey Dent is ready to be released into society?
4. Who does Bruce Wayne mistake the Mutants for when walking home?
5. Who stops a Mutants gang member from hurting a woman and stealing her groceries?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the attempted mugging of Bruce Wayne trigger a flashback to a former violent act?
2. What is the symbolic significance of the split panels for the illustrations in the scene before Harvey Dent's new face is revealed?
3. When Batman confronts Harvey Dent, what does he mean when he thinks "...the scars go deep--too deep"?
4. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
5. In what ways are the soaring high temperatures symbolic of the violence in Gotham City?
6. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
7. Why does Lana state that Batman is the rebirth of the American fighting spirit?
8. How is the media's report on Batman's return representative of the theme of duality in the novel?
9. How does Batman continue to use fear to cripple the younger criminals he encounters?
10. When Gordon relights the bat signal, what effects does this have on Gotham City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence, injuries, and deceit are a part of Bruce Wayne's everyday life, even when not Batman. Analyze how these events alter his life and impact his interactions with those around him. How do these indulgences derail his attempt at normalcy and his ability to maintain relationships with others? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How does Bruce Wayne's pushing the race car to its limits until it is engulfed in flames become symbolic of the protagonist's wish to kill Bruce Wayne? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Vigilantism is a major theme in "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one of the characters (Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Clark Kent, Commissioner Gordon, Commissioner Yindel) and analyze how he/she reacts to acts of vigilantism throughout the story. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)