|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the news report, who has taken over Gotham's underworld?
2. Who does Bruce Wayne mistake the Mutants for when walking home?
3. During the newscast in the beginning of the novel, the news anchor mentions it is the tenth anniversary of what?
4. Who stalks Commissioner Gordon when he walks outside to smoke a cigar?
5. After forcing the bank robbers to crash in their car, who does Batman tell, "These men are mine!"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Batman's nostalgia about Robin serve as foreshadowing for his battle with the Mutants' leader?
2. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
3. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
4. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
5. In what ways is the protagonist, Bruce Wayne, conflicted at the beginning of "The Dark Knight Returns"?
6. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
7. Why does the author write the words Morrie uses to describe Batman, "...morally bankrupt, politically hazardous, reactionary, paranoid...," on the panel of the Joker smiling and staring gleefully at the television?
8. Why does Batman automatically accept Carrie as Robin as opposed to finding and selecting his own candidate for the position?
9. During his initial attack on the Mutants, Batman thinks of Dick Grayson and that they had never faced anything like the Mutants' leader, only humans. Why is the significance of Batman thinking of Dick Grayson at this time?
10. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gotham is a metropolis and has big city/urban problems. Compare the fictionalized city of Gotham to a real life metropolis or the city you live in. Does your city have the same or different issues as Gotham? Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for comparison.
Essay Topic 2
The reactions of Gotham's citizens after the nuclear bomb goes off reveal a deeper problem than just its dangerous criminal element. Explain the irony of Batman asking the former criminal gang, The Mutants, for help in restoring order. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Both Batman and Superman are considered heroes in "The Dark Knight Returns." Batman, however, could be considered an anti-hero. Do you think he is an anti-hero? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)