|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bruce Wayne mistake the Mutants for when walking home?
2. What does Batman compare the newer helicopter to?
3. When Bruce Wayne has his first nightmarish flashback, where does he wake up and find himself?
4. Who saves Carrie and her friend Michelle from being attacked?
5. Who pays a visit to the Joker at Arkham?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the bank robbers return to Harvey Dent's apartment, what is the significance of the room being split into dirty and clean, light and dark?
2. How does Lana Lang's words, "We live in the shadow of crime, Ted, with the unspoken understanding that we are victims--of fear, of violence, of social impotence..." equate to Batman's beliefs?
3. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
4. In what ways are the soaring high temperatures symbolic of the violence in Gotham City?
5. One of the criminals Batman hurt attempts to sue him and asks the Gotham City Police to press charges against him. What is the irony of these actions?
6. When Batman has the Mutants' leader in his gun scope, why does Batman not blast the Mutants' leader and eliminate the gang altogether?
7. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
8. Why does the author give a lot of detail on Margaret Corcoran only to have the Mutants blow her up at the end of the paneled section?
9. When Commissioner Gordon and Bruce Wayne talk over drinks, what is the significance of Bruce Wayne referring to himself in the third person?
10. Why does Lana state that Batman is the rebirth of the American fighting spirit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why and how Batman succeeds in reaching his goal of killing off true identity, Bruce Wayne, and fully embracing his Batman persona by novel's end. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how a bat, the symbol for Batman, is a symbol for Bruce Wayne's life choices. A bat drains its prey of blood. How does Bruce Wayne's alter ego, Batman, symbolically manage to do the same to others in the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)