|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Commissioner Gordon believe was leaking information to the media?
2. Who has tapped into the television antenna?
3. Why doesn't Batman kill the Mutant leader when he has a clear shot of him?
4. What does Batman tell Harvey Dent he sees when he looks at him?
5. After sneaking out, what does the new Robin overhear the Mutants discussing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
2. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
3. How does Batman's nostalgia about Robin serve as foreshadowing for his battle with the Mutants' leader?
4. In what ways are the soaring high temperatures symbolic of the violence in Gotham City?
5. What does Bruce Wayne means when he tells the news reporter, "We must believe that our private demons can be defeated..."?
6. How does Batman's age affect his body during the initial nights of his return?
7. Why does the author give a lot of detail on Margaret Corcoran only to have the Mutants blow her up at the end of the paneled section?
8. How does Lana Lang's words, "We live in the shadow of crime, Ted, with the unspoken understanding that we are victims--of fear, of violence, of social impotence..." equate to Batman's beliefs?
9. Why does Batman automatically accept Carrie as Robin as opposed to finding and selecting his own candidate for the position?
10. What is the importance of mentioning the new commissioner search in the same segment as the search for the missing child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how a bat, the symbol for Batman, is a symbol for Bruce Wayne's life choices. A bat drains its prey of blood. How does Bruce Wayne's alter ego, Batman, symbolically manage to do the same to others in the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of heroism and what it means to be a hero is another theme that is prevalent throughout "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one (Batman, Superman, The Joker, Two Face, the Mutants and discuss how that/those character(s) define and/or react to heroism. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The reactions of Gotham's citizens after the nuclear bomb goes off reveal a deeper problem than just its dangerous criminal element. Explain the irony of Batman asking the former criminal gang, The Mutants, for help in restoring order. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)