|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who paid for Harvey Dent's treatment?
2. What does Batman tell Harvey Dent he sees when he looks at him?
3. According to the news account, who did the two abducted children say saved them?
4. Which character said, "We must believe our private demons can be defeated..."?
5. What was the setting when Batman reappeared in Gotham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Batman organize a long line?
2. How many Robins have Batman or Alfred made reference to up to this point? Name them.
3. What is the irony of Alfred dying after burning Wayne Manor to the ground?
4. Do the two Mutants in the alley really think Bruce might be Batman?
5. Why does the knowledge that Batman keeps count of the scores of people The Joker has killed make the Joker happy?
6. Why does Bruce Wayne want to see Oliver?
7. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
8. The Sons of Batman are committing crimes in the name of Batman. They think they are crime fighting. What is the difference?
9. Why did Bruce sponsor Harvey Dent's treatment?
10. Why does Batman use many different attacks in his battle with Superman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Batman and Superman are allies and have known each other for years. Compare/contrast how each one reacts to violence, authority, and the nuclear threat posed to the United States from the Soviets. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your comparisons.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how a bat, the symbol for Batman, is a symbol for Bruce Wayne's life choices. A bat drains its prey of blood. How does Bruce Wayne's alter ego, Batman, symbolically manage to do the same to others in the novel? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The title of this graphic novel is "The Dark Knight Returns." Explain how the metaphor of Batman as a knight is presented and supported throughout the novel. What scenes/actions does Batman display that is reminiscent of a knight? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,671 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)