|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Commissioner Gordon share a private drink at the beginning of the novel?
2. After his return to crime fighting, how does Batman say his body should feel?
3. What happens to Batman's legs as he crouches on the roof, waiting for the helicopters to arrive?
4. According to Batman, which of the robbers usually loses it?
5. Which character says, "I burn you--burning you, I flare, hot and bright and fierce."?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Batman automatically accept Carrie as Robin as opposed to finding and selecting his own candidate for the position?
2. Why does Lana state that Batman is the rebirth of the American fighting spirit?
3. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
4. What is the significance of Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking flashback to the bat cave?
5. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
6. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
7. How does the attempted mugging of Bruce Wayne trigger a flashback to a former violent act?
8. When Gordon relights the bat signal, what effects does this have on Gotham City?
9. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
10. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the usage of art/drawings helps provide authenticity about the violence in Gotham to the graphic novel. Does it help the reader support Batman's crusade against crime? What does it reveal about the character, his background, and environment in Gotham? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Vigilantism is a major theme in "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one of the characters (Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Clark Kent, Commissioner Gordon, Commissioner Yindel) and analyze how he/she reacts to acts of vigilantism throughout the story. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)