|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Commissioner Gordon believe was leaking information to the media?
2. Which character believes that Harvey Dent shouldn't be released?
3. The news announces that disappearance of which character recently released from Akham?
4. Who wants the Joker to make bombs for him?
5. What weather event does the weatherman compare to the wrath of God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lana Lang's words, "We live in the shadow of crime, Ted, with the unspoken understanding that we are victims--of fear, of violence, of social impotence..." equate to Batman's beliefs?
2. How does the attempted mugging of Bruce Wayne trigger a flashback to a former violent act?
3. Why does the author write the words Morrie uses to describe Batman, "...morally bankrupt, politically hazardous, reactionary, paranoid...," on the panel of the Joker smiling and staring gleefully at the television?
4. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
5. In what ways are the soaring high temperatures symbolic of the violence in Gotham City?
6. When Batman confronts Harvey Dent, what does he mean when he thinks "...the scars go deep--too deep"?
7. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
8. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
9. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
10. What is the symbolic significance of the split panels for the illustrations in the scene before Harvey Dent's new face is revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gotham is a metropolis and has big city/urban problems. Compare the fictionalized city of Gotham to a real life metropolis or the city you live in. Does your city have the same or different issues as Gotham? Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for comparison.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The reactions of Gotham's citizens after the nuclear bomb goes off reveal a deeper problem than just its dangerous criminal element. Explain the irony of Batman asking the former criminal gang, The Mutants, for help in restoring order. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)