|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the criminal who tapped into the television station's antenna want from the viewing public?
2. What does Batman regret when reflecting on the incident with the bank robbers?
3. Who tells Superman that he must put an end to Batman?
4. How old is the new Robin?
5. Which character says, "I burn you--burning you, I flare, hot and bright and fierce."?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author give a lot of detail on Margaret Corcoran only to have the Mutants blow her up at the end of the paneled section?
2. How does Batman's age affect his body during the initial nights of his return?
3. What does Bruce Wayne means when he tells the news reporter, "We must believe that our private demons can be defeated..."?
4. Why does Lana state that Batman is the rebirth of the American fighting spirit?
5. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
6. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
7. When Gordon relights the bat signal, what effects does this have on Gotham City?
8. When Batman has the Mutants' leader in his gun scope, why does Batman not blast the Mutants' leader and eliminate the gang altogether?
9. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
10. How does Batman's nostalgia about Robin serve as foreshadowing for his battle with the Mutants' leader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the author's methods at the beginning of the novel set the tone?
Part 1) How does the report of Bruce Wayne's racing accident being mentioned during the same piece as the anniversary of the last Batman sighting affect the tone?
Part 2) How does Bruce Wayne's brush with death further the tone of restlessness?
Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Batman and Superman are allies and have known each other for years. Compare/contrast how each one reacts to violence, authority, and the nuclear threat posed to the United States from the Soviets. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your comparisons.
Essay Topic 3
One central theme revolving through "The Dark Knight Returns" is the question of who is good and who is evil? It seems that many of the characters, including the protagonist, are not always good. Explain who you believe in the story to be truly good. Also, discuss what it means to be good. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)