|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dresses up as the new Robin?
2. Who among Gotham City's Police force knows Batman's real identity?
3. After his return to crime fighting, how does Batman say his body should feel?
4. According to Batman, how long does it take a person to fall from Gotham City's twin towers?
5. After a perilous chase, who does Batman finally tackle and uncover his identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the attempted mugging of Bruce Wayne trigger a flashback to a former violent act?
2. How does Lana Lang's words, "We live in the shadow of crime, Ted, with the unspoken understanding that we are victims--of fear, of violence, of social impotence..." equate to Batman's beliefs?
3. In what ways is the protagonist, Bruce Wayne, conflicted at the beginning of "The Dark Knight Returns"?
4. What is the significance of Bruce Wayne watching The Mask of Zorro on television?
5. When Commissioner Gordon and Bruce Wayne talk over drinks, what is the significance of Bruce Wayne referring to himself in the third person?
6. What is the significance of Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking flashback to the bat cave?
7. When Batman has the Mutants' leader in his gun scope, why does Batman not blast the Mutants' leader and eliminate the gang altogether?
8. Why does Lana state that Batman is the rebirth of the American fighting spirit?
9. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
10. Why does Batman automatically accept Carrie as Robin as opposed to finding and selecting his own candidate for the position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vigilantism is a major theme in "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one of the characters (Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Clark Kent, Commissioner Gordon, Commissioner Yindel) and analyze how he/she reacts to acts of vigilantism throughout the story. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of dual personalities is prevalent throughout the graphic novel. Select three of the major characters and explain how they experience dual personalities and in what manner they embrace their other halves. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
How does Bruce Wayne's pushing the race car to its limits until it is engulfed in flames become symbolic of the protagonist's wish to kill Bruce Wayne? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)