|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks Carrie and her friend Michelle on their way home from school?
2. After Batman's return to crime fighting, who makes the decision to relight the Batman call signal?
3. What does Batman compare the newer helicopter to?
4. According to the news report, who has taken over Gotham's underworld?
5. Who does Bruce Wayne mistake the Mutants for when walking home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
2. Why does Lana state that Batman is the rebirth of the American fighting spirit?
3. How does the attempted mugging of Bruce Wayne trigger a flashback to a former violent act?
4. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
5. When Batman confronts Harvey Dent, what does he mean when he thinks "...the scars go deep--too deep"?
6. When Commissioner Gordon and Bruce Wayne talk over drinks, what is the significance of Bruce Wayne referring to himself in the third person?
7. What is the significance of Bruce Wayne watching The Mask of Zorro on television?
8. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
9. How does Lana Lang's words, "We live in the shadow of crime, Ted, with the unspoken understanding that we are victims--of fear, of violence, of social impotence..." equate to Batman's beliefs?
10. Why does the author write the words Morrie uses to describe Batman, "...morally bankrupt, politically hazardous, reactionary, paranoid...," on the panel of the Joker smiling and staring gleefully at the television?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gotham is a metropolis and has big city/urban problems. Compare the fictionalized city of Gotham to a real life metropolis or the city you live in. Does your city have the same or different issues as Gotham? Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for comparison.
Essay Topic 2
The title of this graphic novel is "The Dark Knight Returns." Explain how the metaphor of Batman as a knight is presented and supported throughout the novel. What scenes/actions does Batman display that is reminiscent of a knight? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Batman and Superman are allies and have known each other for years. Compare/contrast how each one reacts to violence, authority, and the nuclear threat posed to the United States from the Soviets. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your comparisons.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)