|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Commissioner Gordon believe was leaking information to the media?
2. What does the Mutants' leader do at their meeting?
3. With whom does Commissioner Gordon share a private drink at the beginning of the novel?
4. When approaching the army surplus helicopter, what does the gas Batman throws at the criminal do?
5. The first night of his return, Batman races through the rain the night of the big storm. What does he describe the rain as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
2. What is the significance of Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking flashback to the bat cave?
3. How does Batman's nostalgia about Robin serve as foreshadowing for his battle with the Mutants' leader?
4. When Batman has the Mutants' leader in his gun scope, why does Batman not blast the Mutants' leader and eliminate the gang altogether?
5. During his initial attack on the Mutants, Batman thinks of Dick Grayson and that they had never faced anything like the Mutants' leader, only humans. Why is the significance of Batman thinking of Dick Grayson at this time?
6. Why does Lana state that Batman is the rebirth of the American fighting spirit?
7. Why does the author give a lot of detail on Margaret Corcoran only to have the Mutants blow her up at the end of the paneled section?
8. What does Bruce Wayne means when he tells the news reporter, "We must believe that our private demons can be defeated..."?
9. Why does the author write the words Morrie uses to describe Batman, "...morally bankrupt, politically hazardous, reactionary, paranoid...," on the panel of the Joker smiling and staring gleefully at the television?
10. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why and how Batman succeeds in reaching his goal of killing off true identity, Bruce Wayne, and fully embracing his Batman persona by novel's end. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Batman's new Robin is a girl, and one who is seemingly unaware of the dangers the job. Many of the women Bruce Wayne/Batman has in his life are endangered or harmed in some way. Select one of the female characters (Robin, Selena Kyle, Sarah Gordon, or Commissioner Yindel) and define how their representations are reflections of Batman's relentless attitude toward upholding justice. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the Joker? Explain how the author used the Joker's crazy antics and actions to reveal aspects of his character and aspects of Batman's character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)