|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 1, in the back of the cab, what is happening to a woman while the driver looks away?
2. The first night of his return, Batman races through the rain the night of the big storm. What does he describe the rain as?
3. When approaching the army surplus helicopter, what does the gas Batman throws at the criminal do?
4. Carrie and her friend decide to cut through where to get home?
5. As Batman makes his way up to the roof to intercept the helicopter's henchmen, what does he think should be easier?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is the protagonist, Bruce Wayne, conflicted at the beginning of "The Dark Knight Returns"?
2. How is Carrie Kelley a perfect Robin for Bruce Wayne's elderly Batman?
3. How does Batman's nostalgia about Robin serve as foreshadowing for his battle with the Mutants' leader?
4. Why does Batman automatically accept Carrie as Robin as opposed to finding and selecting his own candidate for the position?
5. What does Bruce Wayne means when he tells the news reporter, "We must believe that our private demons can be defeated..."?
6. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
7. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
8. Why does the author give a lot of detail on Margaret Corcoran only to have the Mutants blow her up at the end of the paneled section?
9. How does Batman's age affect his body during the initial nights of his return?
10. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of this graphic novel is "The Dark Knight Returns." Explain how the metaphor of Batman as a knight is presented and supported throughout the novel. What scenes/actions does Batman display that is reminiscent of a knight? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Gotham is a metropolis and has big city/urban problems. Compare the fictionalized city of Gotham to a real life metropolis or the city you live in. Does your city have the same or different issues as Gotham? Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for comparison.
Essay Topic 3
Both Batman and Superman are considered heroes in "The Dark Knight Returns." Batman, however, could be considered an anti-hero. Do you think he is an anti-hero? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)