|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The night after Harvey Dent's release, Bruce Wayne has a flashback about what?
2. Who tells Superman that he must put an end to Batman?
3. According to the news reports, two abducted children were later found in what location?
4. What weather event does the weatherman compare to the wrath of God?
5. Who wants the Joker to make bombs for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author give a lot of detail on Margaret Corcoran only to have the Mutants blow her up at the end of the paneled section?
2. When Commissioner Gordon and Bruce Wayne talk over drinks, what is the significance of Bruce Wayne referring to himself in the third person?
3. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
4. Why does Batman automatically accept Carrie as Robin as opposed to finding and selecting his own candidate for the position?
5. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
6. How is the media's report on Batman's return representative of the theme of duality in the novel?
7. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
8. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
9. How does Batman's age affect his body during the initial nights of his return?
10. During his initial attack on the Mutants, Batman thinks of Dick Grayson and that they had never faced anything like the Mutants' leader, only humans. Why is the significance of Batman thinking of Dick Grayson at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of heroism and what it means to be a hero is another theme that is prevalent throughout "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one (Batman, Superman, The Joker, Two Face, the Mutants and discuss how that/those character(s) define and/or react to heroism. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The title of this graphic novel is "The Dark Knight Returns." Explain how the metaphor of Batman as a knight is presented and supported throughout the novel. What scenes/actions does Batman display that is reminiscent of a knight? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of dual personalities is prevalent throughout the graphic novel. Select three of the major characters and explain how they experience dual personalities and in what manner they embrace their other halves. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)