|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Batman want to know about the character he is chasing off the roof tops?
2. Who dies when the helicopter explodes?
3. During the newscast in the beginning of the novel, the news anchor mentions it is the tenth anniversary of what?
4. According to Batman, how long does it take a person to fall from Gotham City's twin towers?
5. After his return to crime fighting, how does Batman say his body should feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lana Lang's words, "We live in the shadow of crime, Ted, with the unspoken understanding that we are victims--of fear, of violence, of social impotence..." equate to Batman's beliefs?
2. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
3. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
4. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
5. How does the attempted mugging of Bruce Wayne trigger a flashback to a former violent act?
6. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
7. How is Carrie Kelley a perfect Robin for Bruce Wayne's elderly Batman?
8. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
9. Why does the author write the words Morrie uses to describe Batman, "...morally bankrupt, politically hazardous, reactionary, paranoid...," on the panel of the Joker smiling and staring gleefully at the television?
10. What is the symbolic significance of the split panels for the illustrations in the scene before Harvey Dent's new face is revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of heroism and what it means to be a hero is another theme that is prevalent throughout "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one (Batman, Superman, The Joker, Two Face, the Mutants and discuss how that/those character(s) define and/or react to heroism. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The reactions of Gotham's citizens after the nuclear bomb goes off reveal a deeper problem than just its dangerous criminal element. Explain the irony of Batman asking the former criminal gang, The Mutants, for help in restoring order. Use the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why and how Batman succeeds in reaching his goal of killing off true identity, Bruce Wayne, and fully embracing his Batman persona by novel's end. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)