|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays a visit to the Joker at Arkham?
2. What does Alfred tell Bruce Wayne he has a recipe for?
3. The unseasonable weather in Gotham City is responsible for a major rise in what?
4. What does Batman do at the Mutants' meeting to get their attention?
5. Who tells Superman that he must put an end to Batman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
2. Why does Lana state that Batman is the rebirth of the American fighting spirit?
3. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
4. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
5. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
6. In what ways is the protagonist, Bruce Wayne, conflicted at the beginning of "The Dark Knight Returns"?
7. In what ways are the soaring high temperatures symbolic of the violence in Gotham City?
8. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
9. What is the significance of Bruce Wayne watching The Mask of Zorro on television?
10. What does Bruce Wayne means when he tells the news reporter, "We must believe that our private demons can be defeated..."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of heroism and what it means to be a hero is another theme that is prevalent throughout "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one (Batman, Superman, The Joker, Two Face, the Mutants and discuss how that/those character(s) define and/or react to heroism. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How does Bruce Wayne's pushing the race car to its limits until it is engulfed in flames become symbolic of the protagonist's wish to kill Bruce Wayne? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The title of this graphic novel is "The Dark Knight Returns." Explain how the metaphor of Batman as a knight is presented and supported throughout the novel. What scenes/actions does Batman display that is reminiscent of a knight? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)