|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mutants kidnap the important heir of a wealthy family? What is the heir's name?
2. The night after Harvey Dent's release, Bruce Wayne has a flashback about what?
3. With whom does Commissioner Gordon share a private drink at the beginning of the novel?
4. Who appears on the news to announce that Harvey Dent is ready to be released into society?
5. What weather event does the weatherman compare to the wrath of God?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
2. Why does the author give a lot of detail on Margaret Corcoran only to have the Mutants blow her up at the end of the paneled section?
3. What is the importance of mentioning the new commissioner search in the same segment as the search for the missing child?
4. What is the significance of Bruce Wayne watching The Mask of Zorro on television?
5. How does Batman's age affect his body during the initial nights of his return?
6. In what ways is the protagonist, Bruce Wayne, conflicted at the beginning of "The Dark Knight Returns"?
7. Why does Batman automatically accept Carrie as Robin as opposed to finding and selecting his own candidate for the position?
8. What does Bruce Wayne means when he tells the news reporter, "We must believe that our private demons can be defeated..."?
9. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
10. What is the symbolic significance of the split panels for the illustrations in the scene before Harvey Dent's new face is revealed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of heroism and what it means to be a hero is another theme that is prevalent throughout "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one (Batman, Superman, The Joker, Two Face, the Mutants and discuss how that/those character(s) define and/or react to heroism. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the usage of art/drawings helps provide authenticity about the violence in Gotham to the graphic novel. Does it help the reader support Batman's crusade against crime? What does it reveal about the character, his background, and environment in Gotham? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Batman and Superman are allies and have known each other for years. Compare/contrast how each one reacts to violence, authority, and the nuclear threat posed to the United States from the Soviets. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your comparisons.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)