|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has tapped into the television antenna?
2. Why doesn't Batman kill the Mutant leader when he has a clear shot of him?
3. After a perilous chase, who does Batman finally tackle and uncover his identity?
4. What did one of the bank robbers say that Batman didn't do?
5. How long has the Joker been in a comatose state?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the bank robbers return to Harvey Dent's apartment, what is the significance of the room being split into dirty and clean, light and dark?
2. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
3. Why does the author write the words Morrie uses to describe Batman, "...morally bankrupt, politically hazardous, reactionary, paranoid...," on the panel of the Joker smiling and staring gleefully at the television?
4. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
5. How is the media's report on Batman's return representative of the theme of duality in the novel?
6. What is the importance of mentioning the new commissioner search in the same segment as the search for the missing child?
7. How does Batman's age affect his body during the initial nights of his return?
8. Why does Lana state that Batman is the rebirth of the American fighting spirit?
9. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
10. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of dual personalities is prevalent throughout the graphic novel. Select three of the major characters and explain how they experience dual personalities and in what manner they embrace their other halves. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Commissioner Gordon has been Bruce Wayne's friend. Describe how Commissioner Gordon and Alfred act as father figures for Bruce Wayne. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Vigilantism is a major theme in "The Dark Knight Returns." Choose one of the characters (Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Clark Kent, Commissioner Gordon, Commissioner Yindel) and analyze how he/she reacts to acts of vigilantism throughout the story. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and provide evidence for your opinion.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)