|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dresses up as the new Robin?
(a) Dick Grayson.
(b) A Mutants gang member.
2. What does Commissioner Gordon do to his stalker?
(a) He loses him in the crowds.
(b) He has him arrested.
(c) He captures him.
(d) He kills the stalker.
3. What does Batman find on the army surplus helicopter?
(a) A dead body.
(b) A bomb.
(c) Harvey Dent.
4. According to the news reports, two abducted children were later found in what location?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) A riverfront warehouse.
(c) The dump.
(d) The arcade.
5. What does Commissioner Gordon do to communicate with Batman?
(a) Calls him.
(b) Lights the bat signal.
(c) Goes to Wayne Manor.
(d) Sends an email.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the news report, who has taken over Gotham's underworld?
2. At the onset of the novel, what is Bruce Wayne doing?
3. Who do the bank robbers say killed Batman?
4. What do the Gotham City Police believe will happen when Commissioner Gordon leaves?
5. Which character said, "We must believe our private demons can be defeated..."?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
2. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
3. How is the demon metaphor for Batman further promoted during Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking and flashback scene?
4. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
5. How does Batman's nostalgia about Robin serve as foreshadowing for his battle with the Mutants' leader?
6. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
7. Why does the author give a lot of detail on Margaret Corcoran only to have the Mutants blow her up at the end of the paneled section?
8. How is the media's report on Batman's return representative of the theme of duality in the novel?
9. When Gordon relights the bat signal, what effects does this have on Gotham City?
10. What is the symbolic significance of the split panels for the illustrations in the scene before Harvey Dent's new face is revealed?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)