|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of the novel, what does Carol warn Bruce about?
(a) He is going too slow.
(b) He is about to crash.
(c) His bad driving.
(d) Driving too fast.
2. As Batman makes his way up to the roof to intercept the helicopter's henchmen, what does he think should be easier?
(a) Crime fighting.
(b) Talking to Gordon.
3. What happens to Bruce Wayne during the opening of the novel?
(a) His back is thrown out.
(b) He is blinded by fire.
(c) He is put in the hospital.
(d) His race car explodes into flames.
4. What do the Gotham City Police believe will happen when Commissioner Gordon leaves?
(a) The violence will subside.
(b) Gotham City will mourn.
(c) The Mutants will increase their criminal activities.
(d) The Mutants' threat will subside.
5. Where do the Mutants have their meeting?
(a) The hotel.
(b) The batcave.
(c) The fields outside Gotham City.
(d) The dump.
Short Answer Questions
1. While walking around Gotham City, where does Bruce Wayne end up?
2. After the battle with the Mutants, who helps Batman as he lay in the bat cave?
3. The unseasonable weather in Gotham City is responsible for a major rise in what?
4. What does Batman compare the newer helicopter to?
5. Who attacks Carrie and her friend Michelle on their way home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Crime Alley during the Mutants' attempted mugging, Bruce Wayne believes the new criminals are a "purer breed" of the man who murdered his parents. What does this mean?
2. When Batman has the Mutants' leader in his gun scope, why does Batman not blast the Mutants' leader and eliminate the gang altogether?
3. What is the significance of Bruce Wayne's sleepwalking flashback to the bat cave?
4. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
5. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
6. When the bank robbers return to Harvey Dent's apartment, what is the significance of the room being split into dirty and clean, light and dark?
7. How is the media's report on Batman's return representative of the theme of duality in the novel?
8. Why is it important to note that Harvey Dent has returned to a life of crime?
9. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
10. In what ways are the soaring high temperatures symbolic of the violence in Gotham City?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)