|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Bruce Wayne during the opening of the novel?
(a) He is put in the hospital.
(b) His back is thrown out.
(c) His race car explodes into flames.
(d) He is blinded by fire.
2. While walking around Gotham City, where does Bruce Wayne end up?
(b) Gotham City Bank.
(c) The alley where his parents were murdered.
(d) The subway.
3. After the battle with the Mutants, who helps Batman as he lay in the bat cave?
(a) Selina Kyle.
4. Which character believes that Harvey Dent shouldn't be released?
(b) The news anchor.
(c) Commissioner Gordon.
(d) Bruce Wayne.
5. What does Batman regret when reflecting on the incident with the bank robbers?
(a) Losing Robin.
(b) Returning to crime fighting.
(c) Getting older.
(d) Going easy on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the news reports, who was responsible for abducting the children from their homes?
2. What does Batman compare the newer helicopter to?
3. After visiting an old friend at the beginning of the novel, where does Bruce Wayne leave his car?
4. What did one of the bank robbers say that Batman didn't do?
5. During Batman's battle with the Mutants, who comes out of hiding to save Batman?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Commissioner Gordon and Bruce Wayne talk over drinks, what is the significance of Bruce Wayne referring to himself in the third person?
2. In what ways is the protagonist, Bruce Wayne, conflicted at the beginning of "The Dark Knight Returns"?
3. How is Carrie Kelley a perfect Robin for Bruce Wayne's elderly Batman?
4. Why does Batman automatically accept Carrie as Robin as opposed to finding and selecting his own candidate for the position?
5. What does Bruce Wayne means when he tells the news reporter, "We must believe that our private demons can be defeated..."?
6. How does Batman's age affect his body during the initial nights of his return?
7. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
8. How does Batman's nostalgia about Robin serve as foreshadowing for his battle with the Mutants' leader?
9. How does Batman continue to use fear to cripple the younger criminals he encounters?
10. What is the symbolic significance of the split panels for the illustrations in the scene before Harvey Dent's new face is revealed?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)