|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did one of the bank robbers say that Batman didn't do?
(b) Make sounds.
2. During the newscast in the beginning of the novel, the news anchor mentions it is the tenth anniversary of what?
(a) Safety week at the raceway.
(b) The last sighting of Batman.
(c) Superman's birthday.
(d) Bruce Wayne's new building.
3. With whom does Commissioner Gordon share a private drink at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Bruce Wayne.
(b) His wife, Sarah.
(c) Clark Kent.
(d) Harvey Dent.
4. Who has tapped into the television antenna?
(a) Harvey Dent.
(c) The Joker.
5. According to the news report, who has taken over Gotham's underworld?
(a) The Joker.
(b) The Mutants.
(d) Harvey Dent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather event does the weatherman compare to the wrath of God?
2. Which character says, "I burn you--burning you, I flare, hot and bright and fierce."?
3. Where do the Mutants have their meeting?
4. When Bruce Wayne wakes up from his flashback, Alfred notices what has happened to Bruce Wayne's face?
5. After Batman's return to crime fighting, who makes the decision to relight the Batman call signal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Batman feel that falling to his death he runs between the two towers on a cable being shot out by Harvey Dent's thug would be a fine death?
2. How does Batman's nostalgia about Robin serve as foreshadowing for his battle with the Mutants' leader?
3. Why does Harvey Dent cover his new face with bandages?
4. What is the importance of mentioning the new commissioner search in the same segment as the search for the missing child?
5. One of the criminals Batman hurt attempts to sue him and asks the Gotham City Police to press charges against him. What is the irony of these actions?
6. Why does the author write the words Morrie uses to describe Batman, "...morally bankrupt, politically hazardous, reactionary, paranoid...," on the panel of the Joker smiling and staring gleefully at the television?
7. What is the significance of the storm breaking over Gotham City after weeks of intense heat?
8. In what ways are the soaring high temperatures symbolic of the violence in Gotham City?
9. When Commissioner Gordon is attacked by a member of the Mutants gang, why does thinking of his wife Sarah make it easy for him to fight back?
10. How does Lana Lang's words, "We live in the shadow of crime, Ted, with the unspoken understanding that we are victims--of fear, of violence, of social impotence..." equate to Batman's beliefs?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)