|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
2. Who is Marie?
3. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
4. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
5. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
2. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
3. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
4. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
5. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
6. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
7. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
8. Describe the character of Mamadou.
9. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
10. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tom-tom weaves all the rituals together throughout the book. When does the tom-tom sound? How do the villagers react to it? Explore the importance of the tom-tom throughout "The Dark Child", using supporting evidence from the different chapters and scenes.
Essay Topic 2
How does Camara get treated by his grandmother when he visits her in Tindican? Describe her affection and routines towards Camara. How does Camara react to this treatment? What does his grandmother's behavior tell you about their relationship? Compare/contrast Camara's grandmother's behavior towards him throughout the book. Does it change? How does it evolve?
Essay Topic 3
After the gold work of Camara's father is finished, the praise-singer bursts into a douga. Describe in your own words, based on the context of the book, what a douga is. What is its influence on the people of Camara's community? Why is it sung? How do the characters react to it? What is its negative side effect? Why is it important in the African culture?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)