|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
2. How did Camara stay in touch with his friends from home?
3. In which country does Camara have an opportunity to finish his studies?
4. Who accompanies Camara to the airport?
5. What kind of look is Camara's hut acquiring over time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
2. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
3. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
4. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
5. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
6. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
7. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
8. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
9. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
10. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
Essay Topic 2
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The tom-tom weaves all the rituals together throughout the book. When does the tom-tom sound? How do the villagers react to it? Explore the importance of the tom-tom throughout "The Dark Child", using supporting evidence from the different chapters and scenes.
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)