|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
2. What is Camara's mother concerned about when he is home on vacation?
3. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
4. What does Camara's father give Camara when he leaves home?
5. How long do Camara and Kouyate stay at Check's bedside before he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
2. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
3. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
4. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
5. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
6. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
7. Describe the character of Mamadou.
8. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
9. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
10. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In the African culture, rituals are important. Describe the preparatory ritual of Camara's father before he does gold work. What does this ritual involve? Why is this ritual important? Compare this ritual to other rituals Camara's father performs throughout "The Dark Child."
Essay Topic 3
The walk to Tindikan is of importance to Camara. The author talks about two ways Camara does this walk. Compare/contrast the different implementations of this walk and relate them to their time frame. Why is this walk important to Camara? What does it bring him?
This section contains 1,503 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)