|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
2. How does Camara's father react when he tells him about his plans to study abroad?
3. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
4. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
5. Where do Camara and his two friends show up after disappearing for awhile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
2. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
3. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
4. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
5. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
6. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
7. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
8. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
9. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
10. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Camara's transition from childhood to manhood. How does this manifest in the book? How does this transition affect his position in his family? Give supporting evidence from the chapter. How does this transition further the plot? What is the author trying to point out with this episode? How has the character of Camara changed? How does his transition affect his mother?
This section contains 1,518 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)