|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of landscape does Camara see that he has never seen before while on the train to Conakry?
2. Who is Konden Diara?
3. How long will the boys stay in a special hut after the circumcision?
4. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
5. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Mamadou.
2. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
3. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
4. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
5. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
6. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
7. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
8. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
9. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
10. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 7 Konden Diara is introduced. What or who is Konden Diara? What does he represent? Relate Konden Diara to the rite of passage. Describe his presence in detail, using supporting evidence from chapter 7. How does he influence the boys' feelings? What do they know about him? Does he show up during the ritual? How? When? What is the secret behind him?
Essay Topic 2
How does Camara get treated by his grandmother when he visits her in Tindican? Describe her affection and routines towards Camara. How does Camara react to this treatment? What does his grandmother's behavior tell you about their relationship? Compare/contrast Camara's grandmother's behavior towards him throughout the book. Does it change? How does it evolve?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)