|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
2. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
3. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
4. When does Camara leave home?
5. What does Camara's father give Camara when he leaves home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
2. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
3. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
4. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
5. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
6. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
7. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
8. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
9. Describe the character of Mamadou.
10. Describe the character of Marie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The walk to Tindikan is of importance to Camara. The author talks about two ways Camara does this walk. Compare/contrast the different implementations of this walk and relate them to their time frame. Why is this walk important to Camara? What does it bring him?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 3, the author introduces two characters of a different nature that are very closely related. Who are these characters? How do they differ? What do they have in common? What is their importance to Camara? What is their involvement in the community? What are their contrasts/comparisons to the previously mentioned characters?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)