|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Camara planning to study abroad?
2. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
3. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
4. How does Camara's father react when he tells him about his plans to study abroad?
5. When does Camara's rite of passage start?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
2. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
3. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
4. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
5. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
6. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
7. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
8. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
9. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
10. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3, the author introduces two characters of a different nature that are very closely related. Who are these characters? How do they differ? What do they have in common? What is their importance to Camara? What is their involvement in the community? What are their contrasts/comparisons to the previously mentioned characters?
Essay Topic 2
"The Dark Child" is an autobiographical novel. How do you know this? Prove that the book is this kind of genre with supporting evidence gathered from the novel. What is the author's writing style? How does he relate the stories and the characters to himself? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)