|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing Konden Diara will do to Camara according to his father?
2. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
3. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
4. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
5. Why does Camara still have one year of school until graduation when his friends have already finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Marie.
2. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
3. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
4. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
5. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
6. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
7. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
8. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
9. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
10. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 2 of "The Dark Child" talks mainly about the gold work Camara's father performs. This gold work creates positive and negative reactions throughout the chapter. Compare/contrast the reactions of the chapter's characters in relation to the significance of the gold work. Use supporting evidence to discuss the different emotions towards the gold/gold work.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 3, the author introduces two characters of a different nature that are very closely related. Who are these characters? How do they differ? What do they have in common? What is their importance to Camara? What is their involvement in the community? What are their contrasts/comparisons to the previously mentioned characters?
Essay Topic 3
The walk to Tindikan is of importance to Camara. The author talks about two ways Camara does this walk. Compare/contrast the different implementations of this walk and relate them to their time frame. Why is this walk important to Camara? What does it bring him?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)