|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Camara's mother concerned about when he is home on vacation?
2. What does Camara's mother do when he tells her about his plans to study abroad?
3. When does Camara leave home?
4. What is the only thing Konden Diara will do to Camara according to his father?
5. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
2. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
3. Describe the character of Marie.
4. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
5. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
6. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
7. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
8. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
9. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
10. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3, Camara describes his grandmother's hut. How does this hut compare/contrast to his mother's hut? What picture does the author bring to mind about the living quarters of people in Guinea? Describe the general idea you get about the habitation of Camara's family and compare it to your own environment.
Essay Topic 2
After the gold work of Camara's father is finished, the praise-singer bursts into a douga. Describe in your own words, based on the context of the book, what a douga is. What is its influence on the people of Camara's community? Why is it sung? How do the characters react to it? What is its negative side effect? Why is it important in the African culture?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)