|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dancing goes on how long after the circumcision ceremony and before the boys are taken to a special hut where they will stay?
2. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
3. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
4. What has happened to Camara's school when he returns to it?
5. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
2. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
3. Describe the character of Mamadou.
4. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
5. Describe the character of Marie.
6. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
7. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
8. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
9. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
10. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The rice season in Tindican is something Camara does not want to miss. The harvest starts with a tradition. Describe this tradition and discuss Camara's thoughts about the tradition. What does this tell you about the character of Camara? Compare/contrast his personality to that of his parents.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Camara's transition from childhood to manhood. How does this manifest in the book? How does this transition affect his position in his family? Give supporting evidence from the chapter. How does this transition further the plot? What is the author trying to point out with this episode? How has the character of Camara changed? How does his transition affect his mother?
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)