|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
2. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
3. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
4. In which country does Camara have an opportunity to finish his studies?
5. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
2. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
3. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
4. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
5. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
6. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
7. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
8. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
9. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
10. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Camara is a child at school, some incidents occur that finally lead to the resignation of the director. This whole episode proves the great influence Camara's father has in his community. Explore the connection between the resignation of the director and the role of Camara's father plays. Explain how the violence at school starts innocently, then reaches a height and finally stops all together. What was Camara's father's involvement? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The walk to Tindikan is of importance to Camara. The author talks about two ways Camara does this walk. Compare/contrast the different implementations of this walk and relate them to their time frame. Why is this walk important to Camara? What does it bring him?
This section contains 1,584 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)