|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Camara feel very smart and helpful?
2. How did Camara stay in touch with his friends from home?
3. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
4. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
5. What does Camara's mother do when he tells her about his plans to study abroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
2. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
3. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
4. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
5. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
6. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
7. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
8. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
9. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
10. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
Essay Topic 2
The walk to Tindikan is of importance to Camara. The author talks about two ways Camara does this walk. Compare/contrast the different implementations of this walk and relate them to their time frame. Why is this walk important to Camara? What does it bring him?
Essay Topic 3
When Camara is a child at school, some incidents occur that finally lead to the resignation of the director. This whole episode proves the great influence Camara's father has in his community. Explore the connection between the resignation of the director and the role of Camara's father plays. Explain how the violence at school starts innocently, then reaches a height and finally stops all together. What was Camara's father's involvement? Support your answers with examples from the book.
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)