|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camara's mother light up his bed?
2. When do the young boys face the real test of circumcision?
3. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
4. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
5. What will most boys become in the future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The walk to Tindikan is of importance to Camara. The author talks about two ways Camara does this walk. Compare/contrast the different implementations of this walk and relate them to their time frame. Why is this walk important to Camara? What does it bring him?
Essay Topic 2
In the African culture, rituals are important. Describe the preparatory ritual of Camara's father before he does gold work. What does this ritual involve? Why is this ritual important? Compare this ritual to other rituals Camara's father performs throughout "The Dark Child."
Essay Topic 3
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)