|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Camara and Marie like to do?
2. What type of emotion is outwardly manifested during the circumcision ceremony?
3. What kind of look is Camara's hut acquiring over time?
4. In which month does Camara return to Conakry?
5. What do the older boys and men do after the procession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
2. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
3. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
4. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
5. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
6. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
7. Describe the character of Mamadou.
8. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
9. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
10. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camara's mother has special powers. How is this explored in chapter 5? What do people request from her? Why? How does the procedure go? How do these powers influence her character and her life? How do these powers relate to her physical protection? Provide supporting evidence about how Camara's mother differs from other people in regards to the Niger river.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 3 Camara's school clothes are a theme worth discussing. Why? How do they look? Why does this cause friction for Camara. Why is this difference with his friends so important for the plot? Are these clothes an issue in Kouroussa? Why? Why not? Explore this theme with supporting evidence provided in this chapter.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 7 Konden Diara is introduced. What or who is Konden Diara? What does he represent? Relate Konden Diara to the rite of passage. Describe his presence in detail, using supporting evidence from chapter 7. How does he influence the boys' feelings? What do they know about him? Does he show up during the ritual? How? When? What is the secret behind him?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)