|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
2. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
3. What is the only thing Konden Diara will do to Camara according to his father?
4. What kind of landscape does Camara see that he has never seen before while on the train to Conakry?
5. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Marie.
2. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
3. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
4. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
5. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
6. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
7. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
8. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
9. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
10. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Towards the last chapters of the book, the ocean plays an important role in Camara's life. What does the ocean symbolize? What happens at the ocean? How is love related to this theme? Why is the ocean special and different from what he knows? What does his love of the ocean foreshadow? How is the ocean important in the last chapter? Relate Camara's actions in chapter 12 to his aspirations in chapter 10.
Essay Topic 2
After the gold work of Camara's father is finished, the praise-singer bursts into a douga. Describe in your own words, based on the context of the book, what a douga is. What is its influence on the people of Camara's community? Why is it sung? How do the characters react to it? What is its negative side effect? Why is it important in the African culture?
Essay Topic 3
"The Dark Child" is an autobiographical novel. How do you know this? Prove that the book is this kind of genre with supporting evidence gathered from the novel. What is the author's writing style? How does he relate the stories and the characters to himself? Give examples.
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)