|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
2. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
3. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
4. What does Camara do when he sits at the bonfire on the night of the ritual?
5. What is the only thing Konden Diara will do to Camara according to his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
2. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
3. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
4. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
5. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
6. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
7. Describe the character of Marie.
8. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
9. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
10. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 2 of "The Dark Child" talks mainly about the gold work Camara's father performs. This gold work creates positive and negative reactions throughout the chapter. Compare/contrast the reactions of the chapter's characters in relation to the significance of the gold work. Use supporting evidence to discuss the different emotions towards the gold/gold work.
Essay Topic 2
After the gold work of Camara's father is finished, the praise-singer bursts into a douga. Describe in your own words, based on the context of the book, what a douga is. What is its influence on the people of Camara's community? Why is it sung? How do the characters react to it? What is its negative side effect? Why is it important in the African culture?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 3, Camara describes his grandmother's hut. How does this hut compare/contrast to his mother's hut? What picture does the author bring to mind about the living quarters of people in Guinea? Describe the general idea you get about the habitation of Camara's family and compare it to your own environment.
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)