|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
2. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
3. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
4. What is the only thing Konden Diara will do to Camara according to his father?
5. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
2. Describe the character of Marie.
3. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
4. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
5. Describe the character of Mamadou.
6. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
7. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
8. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
9. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
10. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The rice season in Tindican is something Camara does not want to miss. The harvest starts with a tradition. Describe this tradition and discuss Camara's thoughts about the tradition. What does this tell you about the character of Camara? Compare/contrast his personality to that of his parents.
Essay Topic 2
"The Dark Child" is an autobiographical novel. How do you know this? Prove that the book is this kind of genre with supporting evidence gathered from the novel. What is the author's writing style? How does he relate the stories and the characters to himself? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)