|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara do when he sits at the bonfire on the night of the ritual?
2. What do the older boys and men do after the procession?
3. Who gives the boys a handkerchief for their ceremony of circumcision?
4. Why does Camara's mother often get up in the middle of the night?
5. What will most boys become in the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
2. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
3. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
4. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
5. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
6. Describe the character of Marie.
7. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
8. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
9. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
10. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Camara is a child at school, some incidents occur that finally lead to the resignation of the director. This whole episode proves the great influence Camara's father has in his community. Explore the connection between the resignation of the director and the role of Camara's father plays. Explain how the violence at school starts innocently, then reaches a height and finally stops all together. What was Camara's father's involvement? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Camara get treated by his grandmother when he visits her in Tindican? Describe her affection and routines towards Camara. How does Camara react to this treatment? What does his grandmother's behavior tell you about their relationship? Compare/contrast Camara's grandmother's behavior towards him throughout the book. Does it change? How does it evolve?
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)