|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Camara and Marie like to do?
2. Camara's mother gives him a bottle of liquid good for what?
3. Who is Marie?
4. What is the long tunic that reaches to the heels but is split up the sides called?
5. What is Camara's mother doing when she is approached about changing her mind about Camara studying abroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
2. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
3. Describe the character of Marie.
4. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
5. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
6. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
7. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
8. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
9. Describe the character of Mamadou.
10. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tom-tom weaves all the rituals together throughout the book. When does the tom-tom sound? How do the villagers react to it? Explore the importance of the tom-tom throughout "The Dark Child", using supporting evidence from the different chapters and scenes.
Essay Topic 2
Towards the last chapters of the book, the ocean plays an important role in Camara's life. What does the ocean symbolize? What happens at the ocean? How is love related to this theme? Why is the ocean special and different from what he knows? What does his love of the ocean foreshadow? How is the ocean important in the last chapter? Relate Camara's actions in chapter 12 to his aspirations in chapter 10.
Essay Topic 3
Camara's mother has special powers. How is this explored in chapter 5? What do people request from her? Why? How does the procedure go? How do these powers influence her character and her life? How do these powers relate to her physical protection? Provide supporting evidence about how Camara's mother differs from other people in regards to the Niger river.
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)