|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Camara and Marie to be more intimate?
2. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
3. What has happened to Camara's school when he returns to it?
4. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
5. What does Camara do when he sits at the bonfire on the night of the ritual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
2. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
3. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
4. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
5. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
6. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
7. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
8. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
9. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
10. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Camara get treated by his grandmother when he visits her in Tindican? Describe her affection and routines towards Camara. How does Camara react to this treatment? What does his grandmother's behavior tell you about their relationship? Compare/contrast Camara's grandmother's behavior towards him throughout the book. Does it change? How does it evolve?
Essay Topic 2
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
This section contains 1,558 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)