|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mamadou?
2. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
3. Who gives the boys a handkerchief for their ceremony of circumcision?
4. What type of emotion is outwardly manifested during the circumcision ceremony?
5. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Marie.
2. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
3. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
4. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
5. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
6. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
7. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
8. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
9. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
10. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Camara get treated by his grandmother when he visits her in Tindican? Describe her affection and routines towards Camara. How does Camara react to this treatment? What does his grandmother's behavior tell you about their relationship? Compare/contrast Camara's grandmother's behavior towards him throughout the book. Does it change? How does it evolve?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 3, the author introduces two characters of a different nature that are very closely related. Who are these characters? How do they differ? What do they have in common? What is their importance to Camara? What is their involvement in the community? What are their contrasts/comparisons to the previously mentioned characters?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)