|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fascinating animal does young Camara see in his father's forge?
2. What does Camara believe about his mother?
3. Which member of Camara's family is a reaper?
4. What do Camara and his friends play with while he's in Tindican?
5. Why do the reapers not compete with each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Camara's father.
2. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
3. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
4. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
5. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
6. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
7. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
8. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
9. Why does Camara's father tell Camara the story about the special snake? What else does he suggest to Camara about the snake?
10. Camara Laye's earliest memories revolve around his father's forge. What is the forge? What happens there? What does Camara do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 2 of "The Dark Child" talks mainly about the gold work Camara's father performs. This gold work creates positive and negative reactions throughout the chapter. Compare/contrast the reactions of the chapter's characters in relation to the significance of the gold work. Use supporting evidence to discuss the different emotions towards the gold/gold work.
Essay Topic 2
How does Camara get treated by his grandmother when he visits her in Tindican? Describe her affection and routines towards Camara. How does Camara react to this treatment? What does his grandmother's behavior tell you about their relationship? Compare/contrast Camara's grandmother's behavior towards him throughout the book. Does it change? How does it evolve?
Essay Topic 3
The rice season in Tindican is something Camara does not want to miss. The harvest starts with a tradition. Describe this tradition and discuss Camara's thoughts about the tradition. What does this tell you about the character of Camara? Compare/contrast his personality to that of his parents.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)