|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Camara walk to school with when he is a child?
2. What instrument does the praise-singer pull out when singing the praises of Camara's father in chapter 2?
3. Who do the children occasionally complain to when being taken advantage of?
4. Why does Camara's father tell this story to his son?
5. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican normally?
Short Essay Questions
1. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
2. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
3. Describe the character of Lansana.
4. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
5. What does the second half of the reapers' days look like?
6. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
7. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
8. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
9. Camara Laye's earliest memories revolve around his father's forge. What is the forge? What happens there? What does Camara do there?
10. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Towards the last chapters of the book, the ocean plays an important role in Camara's life. What does the ocean symbolize? What happens at the ocean? How is love related to this theme? Why is the ocean special and different from what he knows? What does his love of the ocean foreshadow? How is the ocean important in the last chapter? Relate Camara's actions in chapter 12 to his aspirations in chapter 10.
Essay Topic 2
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The rice season in Tindican is something Camara does not want to miss. The harvest starts with a tradition. Describe this tradition and discuss Camara's thoughts about the tradition. What does this tell you about the character of Camara? Compare/contrast his personality to that of his parents.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)