Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Camara's mother displays what sort of attitude?
2. When is the douga sung?
3. Where does Camara wish he could be the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
4. What is the name of one particular apprentice Camara remembers?
5. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
2. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
3. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
4. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
5. Describe the character of Mamadou.
6. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
7. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
8. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
9. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
10. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3, Camara describes his grandmother's hut. How does this hut compare/contrast to his mother's hut? What picture does the author bring to mind about the living quarters of people in Guinea? Describe the general idea you get about the habitation of Camara's family and compare it to your own environment.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 2 of "The Dark Child" talks mainly about the gold work Camara's father performs. This gold work creates positive and negative reactions throughout the chapter. Compare/contrast the reactions of the chapter's characters in relation to the significance of the gold work. Use supporting evidence to discuss the different emotions towards the gold/gold work.
Essay Topic 3
How does Camara get treated by his grandmother when he visits her in Tindican? Describe her affection and routines towards Camara. How does Camara react to this treatment? What does his grandmother's behavior tell you about their relationship? Compare/contrast Camara's grandmother's behavior towards him throughout the book. Does it change? How does it evolve?
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)