|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do all the apprentices and workers in the blacksmith shop turn their attention to the production of the trinket?
2. Who does Camara share his bed with?
3. Which member of Camara's family is a reaper?
4. What does Camara know about the harvest tradition?
5. Camara's mother's presence maintains what during meal times?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Camara's mother's special powers manifest themselves as physical protection?
2. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
3. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
4. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
5. How does Camara help out in the rice fields during the harvest?
6. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
7. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
8. Describe the character of Camara's father.
9. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
10. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The meals in Camara's household follow a certain, strict tradition. Describe the procedures of a meal and the performance of all the characters involved. Compare/contrast Camara's rules and routines to those of his siblings, the apprentices and his parents. What does this scene teach you about Camara's culture? How does this differ/relate to your dining culture and etiquette?
Essay Topic 2
After the gold work of Camara's father is finished, the praise-singer bursts into a douga. Describe in your own words, based on the context of the book, what a douga is. What is its influence on the people of Camara's community? Why is it sung? How do the characters react to it? What is its negative side effect? Why is it important in the African culture?
Essay Topic 3
Towards the last chapters of the book, the ocean plays an important role in Camara's life. What does the ocean symbolize? What happens at the ocean? How is love related to this theme? Why is the ocean special and different from what he knows? What does his love of the ocean foreshadow? How is the ocean important in the last chapter? Relate Camara's actions in chapter 12 to his aspirations in chapter 10.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)