|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the reapers use to do their work?
2. What does Fanta bring Camara after he runs off crying after the ordeal at school?
3. Why does Camara not pull Fanta's hair anymore after their conversation?
4. Where do the people of Camara's village occasionally find gold?
5. What does Camara love to do when Lansana's twin shows up in Tindican?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
2. Describe the character of Camara's father.
3. Why does Camara's father tell Camara the story about the special snake? What else does he suggest to Camara about the snake?
4. What happens in Tindican during the rice season in December?
5. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
6. Describe Camara's school clothes when he is a child. How does Camara feel about these clothes while in Tindican?
7. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
8. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
9. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
10. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 3, the author introduces two characters of a different nature that are very closely related. Who are these characters? How do they differ? What do they have in common? What is their importance to Camara? What is their involvement in the community? What are their contrasts/comparisons to the previously mentioned characters?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 3, Camara describes his grandmother's hut. How does this hut compare/contrast to his mother's hut? What picture does the author bring to mind about the living quarters of people in Guinea? Describe the general idea you get about the habitation of Camara's family and compare it to your own environment.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)