|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Camara walk to school with when he is a child?
2. What is the name of one particular apprentice Camara remembers?
3. Why does Camara's father send his children to school?
4. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican normally?
5. One day, some men come and ask Camara's mother to get a certain animal back on its feet. What kind of animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Lansana.
2. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
3. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
4. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
5. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
6. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
7. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
8. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
9. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
10. Describe the character of Mamadou.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
Essay Topic 2
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 7 Konden Diara is introduced. What or who is Konden Diara? What does he represent? Relate Konden Diara to the rite of passage. Describe his presence in detail, using supporting evidence from chapter 7. How does he influence the boys' feelings? What do they know about him? Does he show up during the ritual? How? When? What is the secret behind him?
This section contains 2,351 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)