|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of Camara's brothers and sisters don't fit in his mother's hut. Where do they sleep?
2. What does Camara love to do when Lansana's twin shows up in Tindican?
3. What does Camara's father fear about Camara in regards to the snake?
4. Which member of Camara's family is a reaper?
5. What is the color of the special snake Camara finds one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
2. Where are Camara's parents' huts located, and what are the consequences of living in that location?
3. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
4. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
5. Why does Camara's father tell Camara the story about the special snake? What else does he suggest to Camara about the snake?
6. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
7. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
8. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
9. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
10. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3, Camara describes his grandmother's hut. How does this hut compare/contrast to his mother's hut? What picture does the author bring to mind about the living quarters of people in Guinea? Describe the general idea you get about the habitation of Camara's family and compare it to your own environment.
Essay Topic 2
Towards the last chapters of the book, the ocean plays an important role in Camara's life. What does the ocean symbolize? What happens at the ocean? How is love related to this theme? Why is the ocean special and different from what he knows? What does his love of the ocean foreshadow? How is the ocean important in the last chapter? Relate Camara's actions in chapter 12 to his aspirations in chapter 10.
Essay Topic 3
The tom-tom weaves all the rituals together throughout the book. When does the tom-tom sound? How do the villagers react to it? Explore the importance of the tom-tom throughout "The Dark Child", using supporting evidence from the different chapters and scenes.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)