|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does rice season occur in Tindican?
2. What does Camara's father do as he works with the gold?
3. What is an example of a preparatory ritual for gold work undertaken by Camara's father?
4. What does Camara's school teacher do?
5. What does Camara know about the harvest tradition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Lansana.
2. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
3. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
4. Describe the character of Camara's father.
5. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
6. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
7. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
8. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
9. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
10. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
Essay Topic 3
The walk to Tindikan is of importance to Camara. The author talks about two ways Camara does this walk. Compare/contrast the different implementations of this walk and relate them to their time frame. Why is this walk important to Camara? What does it bring him?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)