|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara do when he goes to the rice fields during harvest?
2. What does young Camara enjoy doing from the corner of the workshop?
3. When does the school teacher punish the students physically?
4. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
5. How does Camara feel the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
2. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
3. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
4. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
5. How does Camara help out in the rice fields during the harvest?
6. Describe the character of Lansana.
7. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
8. What does the second half of the reapers' days look like?
9. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
10. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
Essay Topic 2
In the African culture, rituals are important. Describe the preparatory ritual of Camara's father before he does gold work. What does this ritual involve? Why is this ritual important? Compare this ritual to other rituals Camara's father performs throughout "The Dark Child."
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 3, Camara describes his grandmother's hut. How does this hut compare/contrast to his mother's hut? What picture does the author bring to mind about the living quarters of people in Guinea? Describe the general idea you get about the habitation of Camara's family and compare it to your own environment.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)