|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
2. What announces that the harvest has begun?
3. What did Camara and his apprentice friend talk about?
4. What does Fanta bring Camara after he runs off crying after the ordeal at school?
5. Camara's mother displays what sort of attitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
2. How does Camara help out in the rice fields during the harvest?
3. What happens in Tindican during the rice season in December?
4. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
5. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
6. Describe the character of Camara's father.
7. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
8. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
9. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
10. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3, Camara describes his grandmother's hut. How does this hut compare/contrast to his mother's hut? What picture does the author bring to mind about the living quarters of people in Guinea? Describe the general idea you get about the habitation of Camara's family and compare it to your own environment.
Essay Topic 2
When Camara is a child at school, some incidents occur that finally lead to the resignation of the director. This whole episode proves the great influence Camara's father has in his community. Explore the connection between the resignation of the director and the role of Camara's father plays. Explain how the violence at school starts innocently, then reaches a height and finally stops all together. What was Camara's father's involvement? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Towards the last chapters of the book, the ocean plays an important role in Camara's life. What does the ocean symbolize? What happens at the ocean? How is love related to this theme? Why is the ocean special and different from what he knows? What does his love of the ocean foreshadow? How is the ocean important in the last chapter? Relate Camara's actions in chapter 12 to his aspirations in chapter 10.
This section contains 2,398 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)