|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fanta bring Camara after he runs off crying after the ordeal at school?
2. Where do the people of Camara's village occasionally find gold?
3. Who embraces Camara when he arrives in Tindican?
4. How did Camara's father initially feel after the special snake's first appearance?
5. Why do the reapers not compete with each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
2. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
3. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
4. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
5. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
6. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
7. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
8. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
9. What is the result of years of abuse for the school children?
10. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3 Camara's school clothes are a theme worth discussing. Why? How do they look? Why does this cause friction for Camara. Why is this difference with his friends so important for the plot? Are these clothes an issue in Kouroussa? Why? Why not? Explore this theme with supporting evidence provided in this chapter.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
Essay Topic 3
In the African culture, rituals are important. Describe the preparatory ritual of Camara's father before he does gold work. What does this ritual involve? Why is this ritual important? Compare this ritual to other rituals Camara's father performs throughout "The Dark Child."
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)