|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Camara's family is a reaper?
2. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated?
3. Some of Camara's brothers and sisters don't fit in his mother's hut. Where do they sleep?
4. What does the woman do when the trinket is presented to her?
5. Why does Camara not pull Fanta's hair anymore after their conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
2. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
3. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
4. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
5. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
6. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
7. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
8. What is the result of years of abuse for the school children?
9. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
10. Where are Camara's parents' huts located, and what are the consequences of living in that location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3 Camara's school clothes are a theme worth discussing. Why? How do they look? Why does this cause friction for Camara. Why is this difference with his friends so important for the plot? Are these clothes an issue in Kouroussa? Why? Why not? Explore this theme with supporting evidence provided in this chapter.
Essay Topic 2
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
Essay Topic 3
Towards the last chapters of the book, the ocean plays an important role in Camara's life. What does the ocean symbolize? What happens at the ocean? How is love related to this theme? Why is the ocean special and different from what he knows? What does his love of the ocean foreshadow? How is the ocean important in the last chapter? Relate Camara's actions in chapter 12 to his aspirations in chapter 10.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)