|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara do when the reapers need water?
2. What does Camara's friend Kouyate look like?
3. What does Camara love to do when Lansana's twin shows up in Tindican?
4. What kind of food do the women bring the reapers at noon?
5. Why do the reapers not compete with each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
2. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
3. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
4. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
5. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
6. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
7. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
8. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
9. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
10. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 7 Konden Diara is introduced. What or who is Konden Diara? What does he represent? Relate Konden Diara to the rite of passage. Describe his presence in detail, using supporting evidence from chapter 7. How does he influence the boys' feelings? What do they know about him? Does he show up during the ritual? How? When? What is the secret behind him?
Essay Topic 2
Camara's mother has special powers. How is this explored in chapter 5? What do people request from her? Why? How does the procedure go? How do these powers influence her character and her life? How do these powers relate to her physical protection? Provide supporting evidence about how Camara's mother differs from other people in regards to the Niger river.
Essay Topic 3
The meals in Camara's household follow a certain, strict tradition. Describe the procedures of a meal and the performance of all the characters involved. Compare/contrast Camara's rules and routines to those of his siblings, the apprentices and his parents. What does this scene teach you about Camara's culture? How does this differ/relate to your dining culture and etiquette?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)