|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prepares the food in Camara's house?
2. Camara tells who about what has been happening at school?
3. Why do women want trinkets made out of gold?
4. What color is Camara's school uniform?
5. What does Camara know about the harvest tradition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
2. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
3. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
4. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
5. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
6. How do Camara's mother's special powers manifest themselves as physical protection?
7. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
8. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
9. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
10. Describe the character of Lansana.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3 Camara's school clothes are a theme worth discussing. Why? How do they look? Why does this cause friction for Camara. Why is this difference with his friends so important for the plot? Are these clothes an issue in Kouroussa? Why? Why not? Explore this theme with supporting evidence provided in this chapter.
Essay Topic 2
The character of the praise-singer is mentioned in a few chapters of the "The Dark Child." What is a praise-singer? What is his role towards the community? When is he important? Explore his presence throughout the book; describe his tasks, influence and attitude. Compare/contrast his appearances in the different chapters.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)