Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Camara's mother displays what sort of attitude?
2. When is the douga sung?
3. Where does Camara wish he could be the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
4. What is the name of one particular apprentice Camara remembers?
5. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
2. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
3. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
4. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
5. Describe the character of Mamadou.
6. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
7. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
8. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
9. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
10. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3, the author introduces two characters of a different nature that are very closely related. Who are these characters? How do they differ? What do they have in common? What is their importance to Camara? What is their involvement in the community? What are their contrasts/comparisons to the previously mentioned characters?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Camara's transition from childhood to manhood. How does this manifest in the book? How does this transition affect his position in his family? Give supporting evidence from the chapter. How does this transition further the plot? What is the author trying to point out with this episode? How has the character of Camara changed? How does his transition affect his mother?
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)