|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Camara's father send his children to school?
2. What is an example of a preparatory ritual for gold work undertaken by Camara's father?
3. Who cuts the first swath of rice from the field on the day of the harvest?
4. Who is the douga reserved for?
5. The students' parents have been unaware of the atmosphere surrounding Camara's school. What type of atmosphere has it been?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
2. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
3. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
4. Why does Camara's father tell Camara the story about the special snake? What else does he suggest to Camara about the snake?
5. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
6. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
7. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
8. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
9. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
10. How did Camara's father know about this specific task of gold work, and how did he prepare himself to execute the work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One day Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. This snake is special and plays an important role in the first chapters of "The Dark Child." What is the role of this snake in the family? How did he become important? What does his presence mean to the different main characters? Relate this snake's significance to the community, to Camara, to his mother, and to his father? How does the snake add to Camara's father's influence and status in the community? How is the snake involved in the work environment of Camara's father? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 3, Camara describes his grandmother's hut. How does this hut compare/contrast to his mother's hut? What picture does the author bring to mind about the living quarters of people in Guinea? Describe the general idea you get about the habitation of Camara's family and compare it to your own environment.
Essay Topic 3
Camara's mother has special powers. How is this explored in chapter 5? What do people request from her? Why? How does the procedure go? How do these powers influence her character and her life? How do these powers relate to her physical protection? Provide supporting evidence about how Camara's mother differs from other people in regards to the Niger river.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)