|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara's friend Kouyate look like?
2. What does Camara's father do as he works with the gold?
3. The students' parents have been unaware of the atmosphere surrounding Camara's school. What type of atmosphere has it been?
4. What do many people think of country folk?
5. When the special snake began to appear on a regular basis, what did it do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Camara's school clothes when he is a child. How does Camara feel about these clothes while in Tindican?
2. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
3. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
4. What does the second half of the reapers' days look like?
5. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
6. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
7. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
8. What happens in Tindican during the rice season in December?
9. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
10. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camara's mother has special powers. How is this explored in chapter 5? What do people request from her? Why? How does the procedure go? How do these powers influence her character and her life? How do these powers relate to her physical protection? Provide supporting evidence about how Camara's mother differs from other people in regards to the Niger river.
Essay Topic 2
How does Camara get treated by his grandmother when he visits her in Tindican? Describe her affection and routines towards Camara. How does Camara react to this treatment? What does his grandmother's behavior tell you about their relationship? Compare/contrast Camara's grandmother's behavior towards him throughout the book. Does it change? How does it evolve?
Essay Topic 3
The meals in Camara's household follow a certain, strict tradition. Describe the procedures of a meal and the performance of all the characters involved. Compare/contrast Camara's rules and routines to those of his siblings, the apprentices and his parents. What does this scene teach you about Camara's culture? How does this differ/relate to your dining culture and etiquette?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)