|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Camara in his earliest memories?
2. What happens to Camara when he defies the order to not associate with Kouyate and his sister?
3. What instrument does the praise-singer pull out when singing the praises of Camara's father in chapter 2?
4. What do the reapers use to do their work?
5. What does Camara's school teacher do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
2. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
3. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
4. Describe Camara's school clothes when he is a child. How does Camara feel about these clothes while in Tindican?
5. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
6. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
7. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
8. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
9. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
10. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the African culture, rituals are important. Describe the preparatory ritual of Camara's father before he does gold work. What does this ritual involve? Why is this ritual important? Compare this ritual to other rituals Camara's father performs throughout "The Dark Child."
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 3 Camara's school clothes are a theme worth discussing. Why? How do they look? Why does this cause friction for Camara. Why is this difference with his friends so important for the plot? Are these clothes an issue in Kouroussa? Why? Why not? Explore this theme with supporting evidence provided in this chapter.
This section contains 2,314 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)