|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara do at the end of the meals?
2. Who is the douga reserved for?
3. What do the reapers do while they work?
4. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself?
5. What is the job Camara's father practices?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
2. What is the result of years of abuse for the school children?
3. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
4. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
5. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
6. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
7. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
8. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
9. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
10. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 9, Camara leaves home for Conakry. This is an important change in his life in relation to his environment, lifestyle and companions. Compare/contrast all these changes to his life before he turned fifteen.
Essay Topic 2
The rice season in Tindican is something Camara does not want to miss. The harvest starts with a tradition. Describe this tradition and discuss Camara's thoughts about the tradition. What does this tell you about the character of Camara? Compare/contrast his personality to that of his parents.
Essay Topic 3
Camara's mother has special powers. How is this explored in chapter 5? What do people request from her? Why? How does the procedure go? How do these powers influence her character and her life? How do these powers relate to her physical protection? Provide supporting evidence about how Camara's mother differs from other people in regards to the Niger river.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)