|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the reapers return to the village?
2. What announces that the harvest has begun?
3. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican when Camara does it with his youngest uncle?
4. What instrument does the praise-singer pull out when singing the praises of Camara's father in chapter 2?
5. When does rice season occur in Tindican?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Camara's parents' huts located, and what are the consequences of living in that location?
2. What happens in Tindican during the rice season in December?
3. Describe the character of Camara's father.
4. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
5. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
6. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
7. Why does Camara's father tell Camara the story about the special snake? What else does he suggest to Camara about the snake?
8. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
9. Camara Laye's earliest memories revolve around his father's forge. What is the forge? What happens there? What does Camara do there?
10. How does Camara help out in the rice fields during the harvest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 3 Camara's school clothes are a theme worth discussing. Why? How do they look? Why does this cause friction for Camara. Why is this difference with his friends so important for the plot? Are these clothes an issue in Kouroussa? Why? Why not? Explore this theme with supporting evidence provided in this chapter.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 7 Konden Diara is introduced. What or who is Konden Diara? What does he represent? Relate Konden Diara to the rite of passage. Describe his presence in detail, using supporting evidence from chapter 7. How does he influence the boys' feelings? What do they know about him? Does he show up during the ritual? How? When? What is the secret behind him?
Essay Topic 3
The tom-tom weaves all the rituals together throughout the book. When does the tom-tom sound? How do the villagers react to it? Explore the importance of the tom-tom throughout "The Dark Child", using supporting evidence from the different chapters and scenes.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)