|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the reapers use to do their work?
2. Where does Camara stay while in Tindican?
3. Where do the people of Camara's village occasionally find gold?
4. Who embraces Camara when he arrives in Tindican?
5. What is the name of one particular apprentice Camara remembers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Camara's school clothes when he is a child. How does Camara feel about these clothes while in Tindican?
2. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
3. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
4. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
5. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
6. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
7. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
8. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
9. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
10. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camara's mother has special powers. How is this explored in chapter 5? What do people request from her? Why? How does the procedure go? How do these powers influence her character and her life? How do these powers relate to her physical protection? Provide supporting evidence about how Camara's mother differs from other people in regards to the Niger river.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Camara's transition from childhood to manhood. How does this manifest in the book? How does this transition affect his position in his family? Give supporting evidence from the chapter. How does this transition further the plot? What is the author trying to point out with this episode? How has the character of Camara changed? How does his transition affect his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 2 of "The Dark Child" talks mainly about the gold work Camara's father performs. This gold work creates positive and negative reactions throughout the chapter. Compare/contrast the reactions of the chapter's characters in relation to the significance of the gold work. Use supporting evidence to discuss the different emotions towards the gold/gold work.
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)