|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tindican in relation to Kouroussa?
2. Where is the always present visitor located when Camara's father works with gold?
3. Where do the people of Camara's village occasionally find gold?
4. Who makes arrangements for the trinket?
5. Where does Camara wish he could be the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
2. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
3. Describe Camara's school clothes when he is a child. How does Camara feel about these clothes while in Tindican?
4. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
5. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
6. Describe the character of Lansana.
7. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
8. Why does Camara's father tell Camara the story about the special snake? What else does he suggest to Camara about the snake?
9. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
10. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 7 Konden Diara is introduced. What or who is Konden Diara? What does he represent? Relate Konden Diara to the rite of passage. Describe his presence in detail, using supporting evidence from chapter 7. How does he influence the boys' feelings? What do they know about him? Does he show up during the ritual? How? When? What is the secret behind him?
Essay Topic 2
The tom-tom weaves all the rituals together throughout the book. When does the tom-tom sound? How do the villagers react to it? Explore the importance of the tom-tom throughout "The Dark Child", using supporting evidence from the different chapters and scenes.
Essay Topic 3
Camara's mother has special powers. How is this explored in chapter 5? What do people request from her? Why? How does the procedure go? How do these powers influence her character and her life? How do these powers relate to her physical protection? Provide supporting evidence about how Camara's mother differs from other people in regards to the Niger river.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)