|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One day, some men come and ask Camara's mother to get a certain animal back on its feet. What kind of animal?
2. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated?
3. What does Kouyate's father do as a profession?
4. Who embraces Camara when he arrives in Tindican?
5. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
2. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
3. Describe the character of Camara's father.
4. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
5. Camara Laye's earliest memories revolve around his father's forge. What is the forge? What happens there? What does Camara do there?
6. How do Camara's mother's special powers manifest themselves as physical protection?
7. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
8. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
9. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
10. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the gold work of Camara's father is finished, the praise-singer bursts into a douga. Describe in your own words, based on the context of the book, what a douga is. What is its influence on the people of Camara's community? Why is it sung? How do the characters react to it? What is its negative side effect? Why is it important in the African culture?
Essay Topic 2
When Camara is a child at school, some incidents occur that finally lead to the resignation of the director. This whole episode proves the great influence Camara's father has in his community. Explore the connection between the resignation of the director and the role of Camara's father plays. Explain how the violence at school starts innocently, then reaches a height and finally stops all together. What was Camara's father's involvement? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The rice season in Tindican is something Camara does not want to miss. The harvest starts with a tradition. Describe this tradition and discuss Camara's thoughts about the tradition. What does this tell you about the character of Camara? Compare/contrast his personality to that of his parents.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)