|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Camara share his bed with?
2. Some of Camara's brothers and sisters don't fit in his mother's hut. Where do they sleep?
3. What does Camara begin to do in the rice fields?
4. What does Camara love to do when Lansana's twin shows up in Tindican?
5. What does the woman do when the trinket is presented to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Tindican during the rice season in December?
2. Where are Camara's parents' huts located, and what are the consequences of living in that location?
3. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
4. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
5. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
6. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
7. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
8. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
9. How do Camara's mother's special powers manifest themselves as physical protection?
10. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Camara is a child at school, some incidents occur that finally lead to the resignation of the director. This whole episode proves the great influence Camara's father has in his community. Explore the connection between the resignation of the director and the role of Camara's father plays. Explain how the violence at school starts innocently, then reaches a height and finally stops all together. What was Camara's father's involvement? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 3, Camara describes his grandmother's hut. How does this hut compare/contrast to his mother's hut? What picture does the author bring to mind about the living quarters of people in Guinea? Describe the general idea you get about the habitation of Camara's family and compare it to your own environment.
Essay Topic 3
"The Dark Child" is an autobiographical novel. How do you know this? Prove that the book is this kind of genre with supporting evidence gathered from the novel. What is the author's writing style? How does he relate the stories and the characters to himself? Give examples.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)