Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Camara's mother displays what sort of attitude?
2. When is the douga sung?
3. Where does Camara wish he could be the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
4. What is the name of one particular apprentice Camara remembers?
5. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
2. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
3. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
4. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
5. Describe the character of Mamadou.
6. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
7. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
8. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
9. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
10. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
Essay Topic 1
The rice season in Tindican is something Camara does not want to miss. The harvest starts with a tradition. Describe this tradition and discuss Camara's thoughts about the tradition. What does this tell you about the character of Camara? Compare/contrast his personality to that of his parents.
Essay Topic 2
After the gold work of Camara's father is finished, the praise-singer bursts into a douga. Describe in your own words, based on the context of the book, what a douga is. What is its influence on the people of Camara's community? Why is it sung? How do the characters react to it? What is its negative side effect? Why is it important in the African culture?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 2 of "The Dark Child" talks mainly about the gold work Camara's father performs. This gold work creates positive and negative reactions throughout the chapter. Compare/contrast the reactions of the chapter's characters in relation to the significance of the gold work. Use supporting evidence to discuss the different emotions towards the gold/gold work.
This section contains 2,530 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)