|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the reapers return to the village?
2. What does Camara's father do as he works with the gold?
3. What kind of a man is Lansana's twin brother?
4. What kind of a man is Lansana?
5. Where does Camara's grandmother store milk?
Short Essay Questions
1. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
2. How did Camara's father know about this specific task of gold work, and how did he prepare himself to execute the work?
3. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
4. Where are Camara's parents' huts located, and what are the consequences of living in that location?
5. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
6. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
7. Describe the character of Marie.
8. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
9. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
10. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
Essay Topic 1
Towards the last chapters of the book, the ocean plays an important role in Camara's life. What does the ocean symbolize? What happens at the ocean? How is love related to this theme? Why is the ocean special and different from what he knows? What does his love of the ocean foreshadow? How is the ocean important in the last chapter? Relate Camara's actions in chapter 12 to his aspirations in chapter 10.
Essay Topic 2
When Camara is a child at school, some incidents occur that finally lead to the resignation of the director. This whole episode proves the great influence Camara's father has in his community. Explore the connection between the resignation of the director and the role of Camara's father plays. Explain how the violence at school starts innocently, then reaches a height and finally stops all together. What was Camara's father's involvement? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 3 Camara's school clothes are a theme worth discussing. Why? How do they look? Why does this cause friction for Camara. Why is this difference with his friends so important for the plot? Are these clothes an issue in Kouroussa? Why? Why not? Explore this theme with supporting evidence provided in this chapter.
This section contains 2,120 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)