|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of Camara's family is a reaper?
2. What do many people think of country folk?
3. What does the animal do after Camara's mother gets it back on its feet?
4. Why are there always many apprentices staying at Camara's father's forge?
5. Camara's mother displays what sort of attitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
2. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
3. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
4. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
5. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
6. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
7. How did Camara's father know about this specific task of gold work, and how did he prepare himself to execute the work?
8. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
9. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
10. Describe the character of Lansana.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Camara is a child at school, some incidents occur that finally lead to the resignation of the director. This whole episode proves the great influence Camara's father has in his community. Explore the connection between the resignation of the director and the role of Camara's father plays. Explain how the violence at school starts innocently, then reaches a height and finally stops all together. What was Camara's father's involvement? Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How does Camara get treated by his grandmother when he visits her in Tindican? Describe her affection and routines towards Camara. How does Camara react to this treatment? What does his grandmother's behavior tell you about their relationship? Compare/contrast Camara's grandmother's behavior towards him throughout the book. Does it change? How does it evolve?
Essay Topic 3
The tom-tom weaves all the rituals together throughout the book. When does the tom-tom sound? How do the villagers react to it? Explore the importance of the tom-tom throughout "The Dark Child", using supporting evidence from the different chapters and scenes.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)