|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Camara's father give Camara when he leaves home?
(a) A he-sheep's horn.
(b) A tom-tom.
(c) A harp.
(d) A he-goat's horn.
2. What is Camara's mother concerned about when he is home on vacation?
(a) About some of the young men he associates with.
(b) About some of the children he associates with.
(c) About some of the young women he associates with.
(d) About some of the farmers he associates with.
3. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
(a) Camara's uncle.
(b) The director of Camara's school.
(d) Camara's favorite teacher.
4. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
(a) The Mechanical School.
(b) The Technical School.
(c) The School of Technology.
(d) The Technician's School.
5. Where do Camara and his two friends show up after disappearing for awhile?
(a) At Kouyate's mother's hut.
(b) At Camara's mother's hut.
(c) At Camara's hut.
(d) At Check's mother's hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will most boys become in the future?
2. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
3. When do the young boys face the real test of circumcision?
4. How long will the boys stay in a special hut after the circumcision?
5. Why does Camara get hospitalized during his first year in Conakry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
2. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
3. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
4. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
5. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
6. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
7. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
8. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
9. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
10. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)