|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Camara and his two friends show up after disappearing for awhile?
(a) At Camara's mother's hut.
(b) At Check's mother's hut.
(c) At Camara's hut.
(d) At Kouyate's mother's hut.
2. What is Camara's mother concerned about when he is home on vacation?
(a) About some of the young women he associates with.
(b) About some of the farmers he associates with.
(c) About some of the young men he associates with.
(d) About some of the children he associates with.
3. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
(a) How his parents will react to his decision to study abroad.
(b) Being away from Marie.
(c) His parents' reaction to his school results.
(d) His parents' health.
4. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
5. The boys receive a handkerchief made of what for their circumcision ritual?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
2. When does Marie spend time at Mamadou's house?
3. Who has arrived to celebrate Camara's departure from Kouroussa?
4. What does Camara's father's second wife hold up as a symbol for Camara during the circumcision ceremony?
5. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
2. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
3. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
4. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
5. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
6. Describe the character of Mamadou.
7. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
8. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
9. Describe the character of Marie.
10. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)