|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of look is Camara's hut acquiring over time?
(a) A European look.
(b) An Asian look.
(c) An African look.
(d) An American look.
2. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
(a) Because she thinks he has had so much schooling already.
(b) Because she thinks it's too expensive.
(c) Because she thinks he is stupid.
(d) Because she thinks he wants to leave her.
3. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
(a) Black snakes.
(b) Black threads.
(c) White threads.
(d) White flowers.
4. Why does Camara return to Kouroussa after completing his final exams?
(a) To be with his friends.
(b) To celebrate his school success.
(c) To eat and drink.
(d) To worry about his mother.
5. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
(a) Camara and his father.
(c) Camara's uncle.
(d) Camara's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the young boys face the real test of circumcision?
2. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
3. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
4. Where do Camara and his two friends show up after disappearing for awhile?
5. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
2. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
3. Describe the character of Marie.
4. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
5. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
6. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
7. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
8. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
9. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
10. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
This section contains 1,555 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)