|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Camara stay in touch with his friends from home?
(a) With emails.
(b) With letters.
(c) By phone.
(d) Through voice messages.
2. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
(a) The head of the village.
(b) The tom-tom player.
(c) The fathers of the boys.
(d) The school teacher.
3. How long is Camara planning to study abroad?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) A month.
(d) A year.
4. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
(a) Black threads.
(b) White flowers.
(c) White threads.
(d) Black snakes.
5. Why do the boys stay in a special hut after their circumcision?
(a) To feel sad together.
(b) To eat together.
(c) To sing together.
(d) To recover as a group.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
2. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
3. When does Camara's rite of passage start?
4. Who is Konden Diara?
5. What is the only thing Konden Diara will do to Camara according to his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
2. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
3. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
4. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
5. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
6. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
7. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
8. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
9. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
10. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)