|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the boys stay in a special hut after their circumcision?
(a) To recover as a group.
(b) To eat together.
(c) To feel sad together.
(d) To sing together.
2. What does Camara's father give Camara when he leaves home?
(a) A he-sheep's horn.
(b) A harp.
(c) A tom-tom.
(d) A he-goat's horn.
3. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She cries.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She falls to the ground.
4. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
(a) The head of the village.
(b) The tom-tom player.
(c) The fathers of the boys.
(d) The school teacher.
5. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as the sun sets.
(b) As soon as the sun rises.
(c) As soon as everybody is awake.
(d) At noon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Camara's mother doing when she is approached about changing her mind about Camara studying abroad?
2. Who gives the boys a handkerchief for their ceremony of circumcision?
3. Who is Marie?
4. Why does Camara return to Kouroussa after completing his final exams?
5. In which month does Camara return to Conakry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Marie.
2. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
3. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
4. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
5. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
6. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
7. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
8. Describe the character of Mamadou.
9. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
10. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)