|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
(a) How his parents will react to his decision to study abroad.
(b) His parents' reaction to his school results.
(c) His parents' health.
(d) Being away from Marie.
2. Why do the boys stay in a special hut after their circumcision?
(a) To recover as a group.
(b) To feel sad together.
(c) To sing together.
(d) To eat together.
3. What do Camara and Marie like to do?
4. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
(a) A map of the country he's going to.
(b) A map of the airport.
(c) A map of the city he's going to.
(d) A map of the metro.
5. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which month does Camara return to Conakry?
2. What do the women and the girls do after the procession?
3. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
4. What makes Camara feel very smart and helpful?
5. What do the guests shower the boys with during the circumcision ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
2. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
3. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
4. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
5. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
6. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
7. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
8. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
9. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
10. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)