|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Camara's mother gives him a bottle of liquid good for what?
(a) The face.
(b) The chest.
(c) The brain.
(d) The feet.
2. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as the sun rises.
(b) As soon as the sun sets.
(c) As soon as everybody is awake.
(d) At noon.
3. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
(a) Onto the railroad.
(b) Into a big hut.
(c) Onto the river.
(d) Into the brush.
4. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
5. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
(a) It annoys him.
(b) It makes him proud.
(c) It touches him.
(d) It troubles him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
2. What does Camara's father give Camara when he leaves home?
3. How long is Camara planning to study abroad?
4. Why does Camara still have one year of school until graduation when his friends have already finished?
5. How does Camara's mother light up his bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Mamadou.
2. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
3. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
4. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
5. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
6. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
7. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
8. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
9. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
10. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)