|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
2. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
(a) That his mother is happier.
(b) That his mother has made improvements to his hut.
(c) That his mother is more sad.
(d) That his mother has made improvements to her hut.
3. Who is Mamadou?
(a) Camara's uncle.
(b) Camara's nephew.
(c) Camara's cousin.
(d) Camara's brother.
4. What do the women and the girls do after the procession?
(a) They stay out all night.
(b) They cook.
(c) They go home.
(d) They watch the boys.
5. Who gives the boys a handkerchief for their ceremony of circumcision?
(a) Their sweetheart.
(b) Their aunt.
(c) Their mother.
(d) Their sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
2. In which country does Camara have an opportunity to finish his studies?
3. What is Camara's mother concerned about when he is home on vacation?
4. How long will the boys stay in a special hut after the circumcision?
5. What is the only thing Konden Diara will do to Camara according to his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
2. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
3. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
4. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
5. Describe the character of Mamadou.
6. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
7. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
8. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
9. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
10. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)