|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
(a) Camara's uncle.
(c) Camara and his father.
(d) Camara's father.
2. Who is Konden Diara?
(a) A lion that eats little boys.
(b) A good spirit.
(c) A snake that eats little boys.
(d) An evil spirit.
3. Who accompanies Camara to the airport?
(c) Mamadou and Marie.
(d) Camara's parents.
4. What kind of landscape does Camara see that he has never seen before while on the train to Conakry?
5. What does Camara's father give Camara when he leaves home?
(a) A he-sheep's horn.
(b) A tom-tom.
(c) A he-goat's horn.
(d) A harp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Camara and Marie like to do?
2. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
3. How does Camara's mother light up his bed?
4. How long is Camara planning to study abroad?
5. Before Camara gets on the train, he thinks about a certain person. Who does he think about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
2. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
3. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
4. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
5. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
6. Describe the character of Mamadou.
7. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
8. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
9. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
10. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)