|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
2. How does Camara's father react when he tells him about his plans to study abroad?
(a) He is supportive.
(b) He is opposed to the idea.
(c) He starts screaming.
(d) He starts crying.
3. The dancing goes on how long after the circumcision ceremony and before the boys are taken to a special hut where they will stay?
(a) A month.
(b) A week.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
4. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
(a) As beautiful as a fairy.
(b) As beautiful as his sister.
(c) As beautiful as his mother.
(d) As beautiful as a goddess.
5. What does Camara's father's second wife hold up as a symbol for Camara during the circumcision ceremony?
(a) An exercise book and fountain pens.
(c) An exercise book and sharpies.
(d) A school uniform.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
2. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
3. How long do Camara, Kouyate, and Check sometimes disappear together during holidays?
4. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
5. Why do the boys stay in a special hut after their circumcision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
2. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
3. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
4. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
5. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
6. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
7. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
8. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
9. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
10. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)