|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
(a) His friend's name.
(b) Marie's name.
(c) His name.
(d) His uncle's name.
2. How did Camara stay in touch with his friends from home?
(a) By phone.
(b) With emails.
(c) Through voice messages.
(d) With letters.
3. How long do Camara and Kouyate stay at Check's bedside before he dies?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A week.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Three days.
4. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as the sun rises.
(b) As soon as the sun sets.
(c) At noon.
(d) As soon as everybody is awake.
5. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
(a) It makes him proud.
(b) It touches him.
(c) It troubles him.
(d) It annoys him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of emotion is outwardly manifested during the circumcision ceremony?
2. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
3. In which month does Camara return to Conakry?
4. What is Camara's mother doing when she is approached about changing her mind about Camara studying abroad?
5. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
2. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
3. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
4. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
5. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
6. Describe the character of Mamadou.
7. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
8. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
9. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
10. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered before the actual circumcision takes place?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)