|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
(a) To wish him happiness.
(b) To call on the good spirits.
(c) To protect him against evil spirits.
(d) So he can play music.
2. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
3. How long do Camara, Kouyate, and Check sometimes disappear together during holidays?
(a) Entire evenings.
(b) Several hours.
(c) Entire afternoons.
(d) Entire days.
4. What is the long tunic that reaches to the heels but is split up the sides called?
(a) A burbon.
(b) A tom-tom.
(c) A boubou.
(d) A wouwou.
5. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
(a) Camara and his father.
(b) Camara's father.
(d) Camara's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
2. What do the women and the girls do after the procession?
3. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
4. Why does Camara still have one year of school until graduation when his friends have already finished?
5. Why does Camara get hospitalized during his first year in Conakry?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
2. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
3. Describe the character of Mamadou.
4. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
5. How do the boys spend the rest of the night of their rite of passage after the roaring ceases, and how does it end?
6. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
7. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
8. Describe the character of Marie.
9. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
10. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)