|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
2. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
(a) The School of Technology.
(b) The Technical School.
(c) The Technician's School.
(d) The Mechanical School.
3. How long do Camara and Kouyate stay at Check's bedside before he dies?
(a) Ten days.
(b) A week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three days.
4. When does Camara's rite of passage start?
(a) During the feast of Ramadan.
(b) One evening after the feast of Ramadan.
(c) One evening before the feast of Ramadan.
(d) One evening when he's nine years old.
5. Before Camara gets on the train, he thinks about a certain person. Who does he think about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
2. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
3. How long will the boys stay in a special hut after the circumcision?
4. Why does Camara's mother often get up in the middle of the night?
5. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
2. Describe the character of Marie.
3. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
4. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
5. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
6. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
7. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
8. What happens on the way to and at the train station before fifteen year old Camara sets off to Conakry?
9. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
10. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)