|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
(a) To wish him happiness.
(b) To call on the good spirits.
(c) So he can play music.
(d) To protect him against evil spirits.
2. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
(a) Camara's favorite teacher.
(b) Camara's uncle.
(d) The director of Camara's school.
3. What is the long tunic that reaches to the heels but is split up the sides called?
(a) A wouwou.
(b) A tom-tom.
(c) A boubou.
(d) A burbon.
4. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
5. What kind of landscape does Camara see that he has never seen before while on the train to Conakry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Marie?
2. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
3. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
4. Who is Mamadou?
5. Before Camara gets on the train, he thinks about a certain person. Who does he think about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
2. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
3. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
4. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
5. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
6. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
7. Describe the character of Marie.
8. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
9. Describe the character of Mamadou.
10. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)