|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the older boys and men do after the procession?
(a) They go home.
(b) They stay out for the night.
(c) They sing.
(d) They drink and eat.
2. What does Camara's mother do when he tells her about his plans to study abroad?
(a) She tells him he's not going.
(b) She starts screaming.
(c) She starts crying.
(d) She tells him he's allowed to go.
3. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
(a) She hugs him.
(b) She falls to the ground.
(c) She cries.
(d) She laughs.
4. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
5. What do Camara and Marie like to do?
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Camara feel very smart and helpful?
2. Who encourages Camara and Marie to be more intimate?
3. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
4. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
5. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
2. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
3. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
4. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
5. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
6. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
7. What happens at the airport and on the plane to France?
8. How has Camara's hut in Kouroussa changed when he comes home for vacation?
9. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
10. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)