|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Camara's rite of passage start?
(a) During the feast of Ramadan.
(b) One evening after the feast of Ramadan.
(c) One evening before the feast of Ramadan.
(d) One evening when he's nine years old.
2. The dancing goes on how long after the circumcision ceremony and before the boys are taken to a special hut where they will stay?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) A week.
(d) Three weeks.
3. Why do the boys stay in a special hut after their circumcision?
(a) To recover as a group.
(b) To eat together.
(c) To sing together.
(d) To feel sad together.
4. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
(a) She cries.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She falls to the ground.
(d) She hugs him.
5. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
(a) As beautiful as his mother.
(b) As beautiful as his sister.
(c) As beautiful as a goddess.
(d) As beautiful as a fairy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Camara to the airport?
2. When does Camara leave home?
3. What do the older boys and men do after the procession?
4. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
5. Who brings Camara to the train station before he leaves Kouroussa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
2. What happens during the first year Camara is supposed to attend school in Conakry?
3. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
4. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
5. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
6. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
7. Describe the character of Mamadou.
8. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
9. Describe the character of Camara's mother.
10. What happens in the special hut where the young men are gathered, after the actual circumcision takes place?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)