|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
(a) His name.
(b) Marie's name.
(c) His friend's name.
(d) His uncle's name.
2. What makes Camara feel very smart and helpful?
(a) Bicycling with Marie.
(b) Helping Marie with her homework.
(c) Dancing with Marie.
(d) Talking to Marie.
3. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
(a) Because she thinks he wants to leave her.
(b) Because she thinks he is stupid.
(c) Because she thinks it's too expensive.
(d) Because she thinks he has had so much schooling already.
4. The dancing goes on how long after the circumcision ceremony and before the boys are taken to a special hut where they will stay?
(a) A week.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A month.
5. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
(a) A map of the country he's going to.
(b) A map of the airport.
(c) A map of the city he's going to.
(d) A map of the metro.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
2. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
3. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
4. When does Camara's rite of passage start?
5. What do Camara and Marie like to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
2. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
3. What happens towards the middle of the night when the initial procession around town finishes?
4. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
5. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
6. What does Camara receive from his parents before he leaves home for Conakry?
7. When Camara returns to Conakry in October, what does he find out about the Technical College, the school he attended the year before?
8. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
9. Describe the character of Marie.
10. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)