|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the older children take their frustration out on?
(a) Their parents.
(b) The teacher.
(c) The younger children.
(d) Their friends.
2. Some of Camara's brothers and sisters don't fit in his mother's hut. Where do they sleep?
(a) In their father's hut.
(b) In their father's mother's hut.
(c) In their uncle's hut.
(d) In their mother's mother's hut.
3. What does Camara's grandmother tell him every time she sees him?
(a) That he's too fat.
(b) That he's too unhealthy.
(c) That he's too skinny.
(d) That he's too shy.
4. What does legend say about twin brothers?
(a) That they are practically doctors.
(b) That they are practically dumb.
(c) That they are practically magicians.
(d) That they are practically strong.
5. What fascinating animal does young Camara see in his father's forge?
(a) A bird.
(b) A dog.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara do at the end of the meals?
2. What does Kouyate's father do as a profession?
3. Why does Camara's father send his children to school?
4. After the animal encounter in the forge, what does Camara like to yell to his mother?
5. What is a sayon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Lansana.
2. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
3. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
4. How does Camara help out in the rice fields during the harvest?
5. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
6. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
7. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
8. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
9. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
10. What happens in Tindican during the rice season in December?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)