|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Camara stay while in Tindican?
(a) In his own hut.
(b) In his uncle's hut.
(c) In his grandmother's hut.
(d) In his grandfather's hut.
2. Why are there always many apprentices staying at Camara's father's forge?
(a) Because Camara's father doesn't have more than one child.
(b) Because Camara's father is unknown.
(c) Because Camara's father is well known.
(d) Because Camara's father pays a lot of money.
3. What does Camara's school teacher do?
(a) He laughs at the students.
(b) He hugs the students.
(c) He beats the students.
(d) He is nice to the students.
4. When does the school teacher punish the students physically?
(a) When the students interrupt.
(b) When the students' handwriting is not exact.
(c) When the students are late.
(d) When the students don't listen.
5. Some of Camara's brothers and sisters don't fit in his mother's hut. Where do they sleep?
(a) In their mother's mother's hut.
(b) In their uncle's hut.
(c) In their father's mother's hut.
(d) In their father's hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the animal encounter in the forge, what does Camara like to yell to his mother?
2. What does Camara know about the harvest tradition?
3. What does Camara's mother forbid the men to do to the animal that she has to bring to its feet?
4. When is the douga sung?
5. What does young Camara do in his father's forge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the second half of the reapers' days look like?
2. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
3. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
4. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
5. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
6. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
7. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
8. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
9. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
10. Camara Laye's earliest memories revolve around his father's forge. What is the forge? What happens there? What does Camara do there?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)