|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Camara and his apprentice friend talk about?
(a) About their days.
(b) About the weather.
(c) About food.
(d) About their friends.
2. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican when Camara does it with his youngest uncle?
(a) Three hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Four hours.
3. What does young Camara enjoy doing from the corner of the workshop?
(a) Talking to customers.
(b) Playing with fire.
(c) Killing snakes.
(d) Watching the fire.
4. Why do the reapers not compete with each other?
(a) Because they all have the same strength.
(b) So they can all stay together.
(c) Because they are lazy.
(d) Because they are tired.
5. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself?
(a) Because other people argue about this work.
(b) Because he has special powers.
(c) Because he's the boss.
(d) Because he wants to make all the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does rice season occur in Tindican?
2. Camara tells who about what has been happening at school?
3. Who cuts the first swath of rice from the field on the day of the harvest?
4. Where is the always present visitor located when Camara's father works with gold?
5. Where do the people of Camara's village occasionally find gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
2. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
3. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
4. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
5. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
6. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
7. What does the second half of the reapers' days look like?
8. Describe the character of Lansana.
9. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
10. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)