|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Camara pull Fanta's hair?
(a) Because she is a friend.
(b) Because she is childish.
(c) Because he doesn't like her.
(d) Because she is a girl.
2. What does legend say about twin brothers?
(a) That they are practically dumb.
(b) That they are practically strong.
(c) That they are practically magicians.
(d) That they are practically doctors.
3. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
(a) Because it is the guiding spirit of his mother.
(b) Because it is the guiding spirit of his uncle.
(c) Because it is the guiding spirit of his father.
(d) Because it is the guiding spirit of the house.
4. Who is the douga reserved for?
(a) For happy men.
(b) For healthy men.
(c) For celebrated men.
(d) For powerful men.
5. When is the douga sung?
(a) All the time.
(b) Only when gold work is presented.
(d) When evil spirits need to be set free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do many people think of country folk?
2. What is the name of Kouyate's sister?
3. What did Camara and his apprentice friend talk about?
4. What does young Camara offer to the animal he sees in his father's forge?
5. Where does Camara stay while in Tindican?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Camara and Marie spend time together as teenagers?
2. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
3. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
4. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
5. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
6. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
7. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
8. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
9. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
10. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)