|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fanta bring Camara after he runs off crying after the ordeal at school?
(a) A wheat cake.
(b) A carrot cake.
(c) A chocolate cake.
(d) Chocolate cookies.
2. When do the reapers return to the village?
(a) At night.
(b) In the evening.
(c) The next morning.
(d) In the afternoon.
3. Where is the always present visitor located when Camara's father works with gold?
(a) Under the work bench.
(b) Under the sheepskin.
(c) Under the table.
(d) On top of the sheepskin.
4. Where does Camara stay while in Tindican?
(a) In his grandmother's hut.
(b) In his own hut.
(c) In his uncle's hut.
(d) In his grandfather's hut.
5. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated?
(a) Like children of the neighbors.
(b) Like children of the family.
(c) Like spoiled children.
(d) Like adults.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Camara pull Fanta's hair?
2. When does the school teacher punish the students physically?
3. What fascinating animal does young Camara see in his father's forge?
4. What did Camara and his apprentice friend talk about?
5. Which member of Camara's family is a reaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Camara's father know about this specific task of gold work, and how did he prepare himself to execute the work?
2. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
3. Why does Camara's father tell Camara the story about the special snake? What else does he suggest to Camara about the snake?
4. What is the result of years of abuse for the school children?
5. Describe the character of Lansana.
6. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
7. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
8. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
9. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
10. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)