|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Camara walk to school with when he is a child?
(a) With his friend.
(b) With his brother.
(c) With his nephew.
(d) With his sister.
2. Where does Camara wish he could be the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
(a) His own hut.
(b) His father's hut.
(c) His mother's hut.
(d) His uncle's hut.
3. What does Camara's grandmother do with him when she takes him around her village?
(a) She holds him the whole time.
(b) She makes him talk to everybody.
(c) She shows him off.
(d) She makes him sing.
4. Why does Camara assume that his father underwent the rituals of preparing to work with gold before he even stepped foot in the shop the morning of the woman's arrival with gold?
(a) Because his father already heard about this specific task.
(b) Because his father already dreamt about this specific task.
(c) Because his father already read about this specific task.
(d) Because his father has done this specific task before.
5. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
(a) Because it is the guiding spirit of the house.
(b) Because it is the guiding spirit of his uncle.
(c) Because it is the guiding spirit of his father.
(d) Because it is the guiding spirit of his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Camara's parents' huts located?
2. What is the name of one particular apprentice Camara remembers?
3. What is the color of the special snake Camara finds one day?
4. What instrument does the praise-singer pull out when singing the praises of Camara's father in chapter 2?
5. Some of Camara's brothers and sisters don't fit in his mother's hut. Where do they sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Camara's mother's special powers manifest themselves as physical protection?
2. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
3. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
4. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
5. Describe Camara's school clothes when he is a child. How does Camara feel about these clothes while in Tindican?
6. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
7. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
8. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
9. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
10. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)