|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Camara's mother forbid the men to do to the animal that she has to bring to its feet?
(a) To pet it.
(b) To hit it.
(c) To feed it.
(d) To wash it.
2. Why doesn't Camara's family member want to get too far ahead of the rest of the reapers?
(a) Because he doesn't want them to feel bad.
(b) Because he's too lazy.
(c) Because he's tired.
(d) Because he doesn't want them to take advantage of him.
3. Who do the children occasionally complain to when being taken advantage of?
(a) To the director.
(b) To their brothers.
(c) To their friends.
(d) To their parents.
4. Where is the always present visitor located when Camara's father works with gold?
(a) On top of the sheepskin.
(b) Under the work bench.
(c) Under the sheepskin.
(d) Under the table.
5. What does Camara believe about his mother?
(a) That she has special flowers.
(b) That she doesn't have special powers.
(c) That she has special powers.
(d) That she is very special.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Camara wish he could be the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
2. What is the name of Kouyate's sister?
3. Why does Camara assume that his father underwent the rituals of preparing to work with gold before he even stepped foot in the shop the morning of the woman's arrival with gold?
4. What is the second school Camara attends?
5. What do many people think of country folk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Camara help out in the rice fields during the harvest?
2. At the end of Camara's third year of school, he takes his proficiency examinations. Describe what happens.
3. Camara Laye's earliest memories revolve around his father's forge. What is the forge? What happens there? What does Camara do there?
4. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
5. How did Camara's father know about this specific task of gold work, and how did he prepare himself to execute the work?
6. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
7. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
8. What is the result of years of abuse for the school children?
9. How do Camara's parents initially react to his news about going to Paris?
10. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)