|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the children occasionally complain to when being taken advantage of?
(a) To the director.
(b) To their friends.
(c) To their brothers.
(d) To their parents.
2. Camara's mother's presence maintains what during meal times?
(b) Order and tradition.
3. When the special snake began to appear on a regular basis, what did it do?
(a) He helped Camara's mother know the future.
(b) He helped Camara's father know the future.
(c) He helped Camara know the future.
(d) He helped Camara's father know life's secrets.
4. What is the name of one particular apprentice Camara remembers?
5. What does Camara believe about his mother?
(a) That she has special powers.
(b) That she doesn't have special powers.
(c) That she has special flowers.
(d) That she is very special.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Camara's school uniform?
2. What does Camara think about country people?
3. How did Camara's father initially feel after the special snake's first appearance?
4. What does Camara do when he goes to the rice fields during harvest?
5. Who do the older children take their frustration out on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
2. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
3. Who is Sidafa, and what do you know about him?
4. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
5. How do Camara's mother's special powers manifest themselves as physical protection?
6. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
7. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
8. Describe the character of Lansana.
9. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
10. How did Camara's father know about this specific task of gold work, and how did he prepare himself to execute the work?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)