|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who embraces Camara when he arrives in Tindican?
(a) His friend.
(b) His mother.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His grandmother.
2. Who do the older children take their frustration out on?
(a) Their parents.
(b) Their friends.
(c) The younger children.
(d) The teacher.
3. What does Camara love to do when Lansana's twin shows up in Tindican?
(a) Eat with him.
(b) Walk with him.
(c) Listen to his stories.
(d) Talk to him.
4. Who does Camara share his bed with?
(a) His sisters.
(b) His brothers.
(c) His father's older apprentices.
(d) His father's younger apprentices.
5. What is the name of the river that flows nearby Camara's village?
(a) The Nile.
(b) The Amazon.
(c) The Nassar.
(d) The Niger.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Camara's father initially feel after the special snake's first appearance?
2. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican when Camara does it with his youngest uncle?
3. When is the douga sung?
4. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself?
5. How old is Camara in his earliest memories?
Short Essay Questions
1. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
2. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
3. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
4. What does the second half of the reapers' days look like?
5. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
6. Describe the character of Lansana.
7. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
8. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
9. Why does Camara's father tell Camara the story about the special snake? What else does he suggest to Camara about the snake?
10. Camara Laye's earliest memories revolve around his father's forge. What is the forge? What happens there? What does Camara do there?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)