|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the special snake began to appear on a regular basis, what did it do?
(a) He helped Camara know the future.
(b) He helped Camara's mother know the future.
(c) He helped Camara's father know the future.
(d) He helped Camara's father know life's secrets.
2. The students' parents have been unaware of the atmosphere surrounding Camara's school. What type of atmosphere has it been?
3. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself?
(a) Because other people argue about this work.
(b) Because he has special powers.
(c) Because he's the boss.
(d) Because he wants to make all the money.
4. What do Camara and his friends play with while he's in Tindican?
(b) Metal toys.
(d) Soccer balls.
5. Where does Camara stay while in Tindican?
(a) In his own hut.
(b) In his grandmother's hut.
(c) In his grandfather's hut.
(d) In his uncle's hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people hang ears of corn on ropes?
2. Who do the children occasionally complain to when being taken advantage of?
3. What does Camara's grandmother always do as soon as he arrives?
4. What kind of a man is Lansana's twin brother?
5. Who do the older children take their frustration out on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
2. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
3. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated, and how does Camara feel about this?
4. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
5. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
6. What does the second half of the reapers' days look like?
7. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
8. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
9. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
10. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)