|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Camara do when he goes to the rice fields during harvest?
(a) He burns the stalks of rice.
(b) He brings the stalks of rice back to the village.
(c) He bundles the stalks of rice.
(d) He cuts the stalks of rice.
2. Why do the reapers not compete with each other?
(a) Because they are tired.
(b) So they can all stay together.
(c) Because they all have the same strength.
(d) Because they are lazy.
3. Where do the people of Camara's village occasionally find gold?
(a) In the clay.
(b) In the sand.
(c) In the forest.
(d) In the mud.
4. What does Camara know about the harvest tradition?
(b) He learned much about the tradition.
(c) Not much.
(d) He understands where it comes from.
5. How does Camara feel the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does young Camara enjoy doing from the corner of the workshop?
2. What do Camara and his friends play with while he's in Tindican?
3. Who cuts the first swath of rice from the field on the day of the harvest?
4. After the animal encounter in the forge, what does Camara like to yell to his mother?
5. What color is Camara's school uniform?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Tindican during the rice season in December?
2. Camara Laye's earliest memories revolve around his father's forge. What is the forge? What happens there? What does Camara do there?
3. While he was growing up, what were the rules during meals in Camara's parents' household?
4. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
5. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
6. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
7. How do Camara's mother's special powers manifest themselves as physical protection?
8. Describe the behavior of Camara's school teacher in the French school he attended as a child.
9. How does Camara help out in the rice fields during the harvest?
10. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)