|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Camara know about the harvest tradition?
(a) He learned much about the tradition.
(b) He understands where it comes from.
(c) Not much.
2. What announces that the harvest has begun?
(a) The sound of a flute.
(b) The tom-tom.
(c) The sound of a harp.
(d) The tam-tam.
3. Where is Tindican in relation to Kouroussa?
4. What color is Camara's school uniform?
5. Camara's mother displays what sort of attitude?
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of Camara's brothers and sisters don't fit in his mother's hut. Where do they sleep?
2. How does the farmer's life seem to Camara?
3. What does Camara's grandmother always do as soon as he arrives?
4. Who embraces Camara when he arrives in Tindican?
5. Where do the people of Camara's village occasionally find gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
2. Describe the character of Lansana.
3. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
4. Camara Laye's earliest memories revolve around his father's forge. What is the forge? What happens there? What does Camara do there?
5. Describe Camara's school clothes when he is a child. How does Camara feel about these clothes while in Tindican?
6. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
7. What is the result of years of abuse for the school children?
8. What do the reapers do while they work on the fields, and how is their relationship?
9. How did Camara's father know about this specific task of gold work, and how did he prepare himself to execute the work?
10. What do you know about Tindican? Where is it located, and how does Camara get there? What is special about the trip?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)