|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the praise-singer talking about in chapter 2?
(a) About people Camara has heard all about.
(b) About people Camara has sometimes heard about.
(c) About people Camara likes.
(d) About people Camara has never heard about.
2. Why do women who want a golden trinket hire a praise-singer to have the trinket made well and on time?
(a) To act as a go-between.
(b) To act as a seller.
(c) To act as a friend.
(d) To act as a priest.
3. What do the reapers do while they work?
(a) They complain.
(b) They eat.
(c) They talk.
(d) They sing.
4. What does young Camara enjoy doing from the corner of the workshop?
(a) Playing with fire.
(b) Talking to customers.
(c) Watching the fire.
(d) Killing snakes.
5. Where does Camara's grandmother store milk?
(a) In a jug.
(b) In a calabash.
(c) In a coconut.
(d) In a bowl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the people of Camara's village occasionally find gold?
2. When the special snake began to appear on a regular basis, what did it do?
3. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican normally?
4. Why does Camara not pull Fanta's hair anymore after their conversation?
5. Camara's mother's presence maintains what during meal times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
2. How does Camara help out in the rice fields during the harvest?
3. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
4. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
5. What is the result of years of abuse for the school children?
6. Camara does not like one of the behaviors his mother exhibits when he gets back home for vacation? Which behavior?
7. When Camara is a teenager, he must prepare for his culture's important rite of passage: circumcision. How and when does his ritual begin? How does Camara feel about it?
8. What happens when Camara and his father go to talk to Camara's mother again, hoping to convince her to let Camara finish his studies in Paris?
9. What does the director of the Technical College ask Camara before he leaves Conakry upon successfully completing his exams, and what is Camara's reaction?
10. After the snake encounter, Camara finds it amusing to yell to his mother, "There's a snake!" How does his mother react when he yells like this?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)