|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the douga reserved for?
(a) For happy men.
(b) For powerful men.
(c) For celebrated men.
(d) For healthy men.
2. One day, some men come and ask Camara's mother to get a certain animal back on its feet. What kind of animal?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A pig.
(c) A cow.
(d) A horse.
3. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican when Camara does it with his youngest uncle?
(a) One hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Three hours.
4. Why do women who want a golden trinket hire a praise-singer to have the trinket made well and on time?
(a) To act as a friend.
(b) To act as a go-between.
(c) To act as a seller.
(d) To act as a priest.
5. What kind of a man is Lansana's twin brother?
(a) He loves to sit still.
(b) He's restless.
(c) He's loud.
(d) He's quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Camara not pull Fanta's hair anymore after their conversation?
2. What is the job Camara's father practices?
3. How did Camara's father initially feel after the special snake's first appearance?
4. When the special snake began to appear on a regular basis, what did it do?
5. What does Camara do at the end of the meals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the second half of the reapers' days look like?
2. What does the praise-singer who acts as a middle man between the woman with the gold and Camara's father do in the workshop?
3. According to Camara, what do many people think about country people, and what is Camara's opinion about them?
4. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
5. Describe Camara's school clothes when he is a child. How does Camara feel about these clothes while in Tindican?
6. Describe the douga. What is its association to Camara's father's gold work?
7. How is the special black snake involved with Camara's father's gold work?
8. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
9. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
10. Why does Camara's father tell Camara the story about the special snake? What else does he suggest to Camara about the snake?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)