|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Camara and his apprentice friend talk about?
(a) About their days.
(b) About their friends.
(c) About the weather.
(d) About food.
2. One day, some men come and ask Camara's mother to get a certain animal back on its feet. What kind of animal?
(a) A sheep.
(b) A pig.
(c) A cow.
(d) A horse.
3. What do many people think of country folk?
(a) That they are unhealthy.
(b) That they are strong.
(c) That they are civilized and coarse.
(d) That they are uncivilized and coarse.
4. Where is the always present visitor located when Camara's father works with gold?
(a) Under the work bench.
(b) Under the sheepskin.
(c) On top of the sheepskin.
(d) Under the table.
5. What does Camara's father do when he hears the douga?
(a) He dances.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He sings.
(d) He does more gold work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some of Camara's brothers and sisters don't fit in his mother's hut. Where do they sleep?
2. The students' parents have been unaware of the atmosphere surrounding Camara's school. What type of atmosphere has it been?
3. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican normally?
4. How did the special snake first appear to Camara's father?
5. Why do women who want a golden trinket hire a praise-singer to have the trinket made well and on time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
2. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
3. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
4. What is Camara thinking while he is in the rice fields with all the reapers?
5. How do Camara's mother's special powers manifest themselves as physical protection?
6. How did Camara's father know about this specific task of gold work, and how did he prepare himself to execute the work?
7. What is the result of years of abuse for the school children?
8. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
9. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
10. How does Camara help out in the rice fields during the harvest?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)