Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Camara's mother displays what sort of attitude?
2. When is the douga sung?
(b) All the time.
(c) Only when gold work is presented.
(d) When evil spirits need to be set free.
3. Where does Camara wish he could be the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
(a) His mother's hut.
(b) His uncle's hut.
(c) His father's hut.
(d) His own hut.
4. What is the name of one particular apprentice Camara remembers?
5. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
(a) Because it is the guiding spirit of his father.
(b) Because it is the guiding spirit of his mother.
(c) Because it is the guiding spirit of his uncle.
(d) Because it is the guiding spirit of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do women want trinkets made out of gold?
2. Some of Camara's brothers and sisters don't fit in his mother's hut. Where do they sleep?
3. What kind of a man is Lansana's twin brother?
4. What fascinating animal does young Camara see in his father's forge?
5. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican normally?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the friendship between Camara and his two friends, Kouyate and Check.
2. A few months after all the beatings at school, the director of the French school is forced to resign because of a petition signed by all the parents. What did Camara's father have to do with this?
3. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
4. Who or what is Konden Diara? What does Camara's father tell him to do?
5. Describe the character of Mamadou.
6. Following their encounter with Konden Diara, the young boys face the real test of circumcision. How does the ceremony in Kouroussa proceed?
7. What do the guests of the circumcision ceremony do to the teenage boys and how is this manifested to Camara? What is his reaction?
8. When Camara is a child, what are the sleeping arrangements for his family in Kouroussa?
9. Camara's mother has special powers. How is that manifested in chapter 5? What is her association to a horse?
10. One day, Camara finds a little black snake with a strikingly marked body. What is special about this snake?
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)