|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Camara's grandmother tell him every time she sees him?
(a) That he's too shy.
(b) That he's too skinny.
(c) That he's too fat.
(d) That he's too unhealthy.
2. Who do the children occasionally complain to when being taken advantage of?
(a) To the director.
(b) To their friends.
(c) To their brothers.
(d) To their parents.
3. Why does Camara's father tell this story to his son?
(a) Because Camara is the healthiest son.
(b) Because Camara is the eldest son.
(c) Because Camara is the youngest son.
(d) Because Camara is the smartest son.
4. What does Camara do when he goes to the rice fields during harvest?
(a) He burns the stalks of rice.
(b) He cuts the stalks of rice.
(c) He bundles the stalks of rice.
(d) He brings the stalks of rice back to the village.
5. What does Camara's mother forbid the men to do to the animal that she has to bring to its feet?
(a) To pet it.
(b) To wash it.
(c) To hit it.
(d) To feed it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of food do the women bring the reapers at noon?
2. What does Camara love to do in the evenings while in Tindican?
3. Who makes arrangements for the trinket?
4. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself?
5. Why do people hang ears of corn on ropes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Camara's friend Kouyate Karmoko says that he's had enough after a particularly cruel beating?
2. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself, never leaving it to the apprentices or other workers?
3. Camara remembers seeing a snake for the first time and being fascinated with its glittering eyes. What does he do to the snake, and what happens next?
4. How do Camara's mother's special powers manifest themselves as physical protection?
5. When Camara arrives in Tindican as a child, how does his grandmother react?
6. Describe the initial relationship between Camara and Fanta?
7. One day, a woman comes to Camara's father's shop with gold. She wants the gold made into a trinket. What is special about having a trinket made?
8. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
9. When does young Camara find his friends in Tindican, and what do they do?
10. Describe Camara's school clothes when he is a child. How does Camara feel about these clothes while in Tindican?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)