|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
2. How long will the boys stay in a special hut after the circumcision?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A week.
(d) A month.
3. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
(a) His uncle's name.
(b) Marie's name.
(c) His friend's name.
(d) His name.
4. What do the older boys and men do after the procession?
(a) They go home.
(b) They stay out for the night.
(c) They drink and eat.
(d) They sing.
5. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as the sun rises.
(b) At noon.
(c) As soon as everybody is awake.
(d) As soon as the sun sets.
6. Where does Camara pedal to with Marie?
(a) The river.
(b) The forest.
(c) The beach.
(d) The desert.
7. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
8. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
(a) The Mechanical School.
(b) The Technical School.
(c) The Technician's School.
(d) The School of Technology.
9. What type of emotion is outwardly manifested during the circumcision ceremony?
10. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
(a) At noon.
(b) Late evening.
(c) In early morning.
(d) Toward the middle of the night.
11. The boys receive a handkerchief made of what for their circumcision ritual?
12. When does Camara leave home?
(a) When he's fifteen.
(b) When he's sixteen.
(c) When he's fourteen.
(d) When he's twelve.
13. What does Camara do when he sits at the bonfire on the night of the ritual?
(a) He smiles.
(b) He jumps over the fire.
(c) He trembles.
(d) He sings.
14. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
(a) That his mother has made improvements to his hut.
(b) That his mother is more sad.
(c) That his mother is happier.
(d) That his mother has made improvements to her hut.
15. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
(a) To wish him happiness.
(b) To protect him against evil spirits.
(c) So he can play music.
(d) To call on the good spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the young boys face the real test of circumcision?
2. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
3. What has happened to Camara's school when he returns to it?
4. When does Marie spend time at Mamadou's house?
5. What makes Camara feel very smart and helpful?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)