|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
(a) That his mother is happier.
(b) That his mother has made improvements to his hut.
(c) That his mother is more sad.
(d) That his mother has made improvements to her hut.
2. In which country does Camara have an opportunity to finish his studies?
3. How long do Camara, Kouyate, and Check sometimes disappear together during holidays?
(a) Several hours.
(b) Entire evenings.
(c) Entire days.
(d) Entire afternoons.
4. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as everybody is awake.
(b) At noon.
(c) As soon as the sun rises.
(d) As soon as the sun sets.
5. What kind of look is Camara's hut acquiring over time?
(a) An Asian look.
(b) A European look.
(c) An American look.
(d) An African look.
6. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
7. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
(a) Late evening.
(b) At noon.
(c) Toward the middle of the night.
(d) In early morning.
8. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
(a) Camara's uncle.
(b) Camara's favorite teacher.
(d) The director of Camara's school.
9. What does Camara's mother do when he tells her about his plans to study abroad?
(a) She starts screaming.
(b) She tells him he's not going.
(c) She tells him he's allowed to go.
(d) She starts crying.
10. When do the young boys face the real test of circumcision?
(a) When they enter high school.
(b) When they finish school.
(c) In their second to last year of school.
(d) In their final year of school.
11. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
(a) A map of the city he's going to.
(b) A map of the metro.
(c) A map of the country he's going to.
(d) A map of the airport.
12. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
13. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
14. Why does Camara still have one year of school until graduation when his friends have already finished?
(a) Because he lost a year of school.
(b) Because he is not intelligent.
(c) Because he has wasted a year doing nothing.
(d) Because he is lazy.
15. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
(a) His parents' reaction to his school results.
(b) His parents' health.
(c) How his parents will react to his decision to study abroad.
(d) Being away from Marie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
2. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
3. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
4. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
5. Who brings Camara to the train station before he leaves Kouroussa?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)