|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Camara gets on the train, he thinks about a certain person. Who does he think about?
2. When does Marie spend time at Mamadou's house?
(a) On Sundays.
(b) On weekdays.
(c) On Saturdays.
(d) In the evenings.
3. In which month does Camara return to Conakry?
4. What do the guests shower the boys with during the circumcision ceremony?
5. Who is Konden Diara?
(a) A good spirit.
(b) A snake that eats little boys.
(c) A lion that eats little boys.
(d) An evil spirit.
6. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
(a) Camara's uncle.
(b) Camara and his father.
(c) Camara's father.
7. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as the sun rises.
(b) As soon as everybody is awake.
(c) At noon.
(d) As soon as the sun sets.
8. Why does Camara still have one year of school until graduation when his friends have already finished?
(a) Because he is lazy.
(b) Because he lost a year of school.
(c) Because he has wasted a year doing nothing.
(d) Because he is not intelligent.
9. The dancing goes on how long after the circumcision ceremony and before the boys are taken to a special hut where they will stay?
(a) A week.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
10. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
(a) The Mechanical School.
(b) The Technician's School.
(c) The Technical School.
(d) The School of Technology.
11. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
12. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
(a) Onto the railroad.
(b) Into the brush.
(c) Onto the river.
(d) Into a big hut.
13. How did Camara stay in touch with his friends from home?
(a) With letters.
(b) Through voice messages.
(c) With emails.
(d) By phone.
14. What do Camara and Marie like to do?
15. Who is Marie?
(a) A student at the girl's middle school.
(b) A student at the girls' high school.
(c) A student at Camara's school.
(d) A former student at the girls' high school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
2. Who has arrived to celebrate Camara's departure from Kouroussa?
3. Why does Camara's mother often get up in the middle of the night?
4. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
5. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)