|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who encourages Camara and Marie to be more intimate?
(a) Marie's aunts.
(b) Camara's aunts.
(c) Camara's uncle.
(d) Marie's mother.
2. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
(a) As beautiful as a goddess.
(b) As beautiful as his mother.
(c) As beautiful as his sister.
(d) As beautiful as a fairy.
3. Who accompanies Camara to the airport?
(b) Camara's parents.
(d) Mamadou and Marie.
4. How long will the boys stay in a special hut after the circumcision?
(a) A week.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) A month.
5. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
(a) That his mother has made improvements to his hut.
(b) That his mother has made improvements to her hut.
(c) That his mother is happier.
(d) That his mother is more sad.
6. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as the sun sets.
(b) At noon.
(c) As soon as everybody is awake.
(d) As soon as the sun rises.
7. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
(a) Into the brush.
(b) Onto the railroad.
(c) Onto the river.
(d) Into a big hut.
8. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
9. What kind of landscape does Camara see that he has never seen before while on the train to Conakry?
10. How does Camara's mother light up his bed?
(a) With a torch.
(b) With an oil lamp.
(c) With a flashlight.
(d) With a match.
11. What do the women and the girls do after the procession?
(a) They cook.
(b) They watch the boys.
(c) They go home.
(d) They stay out all night.
12. What kind of look is Camara's hut acquiring over time?
(a) An American look.
(b) A European look.
(c) An African look.
(d) An Asian look.
13. When do the young boys face the real test of circumcision?
(a) In their second to last year of school.
(b) When they finish school.
(c) In their final year of school.
(d) When they enter high school.
14. What do Camara and Marie like to do?
15. How does Camara's father react when he tells him about his plans to study abroad?
(a) He starts screaming.
(b) He is opposed to the idea.
(c) He starts crying.
(d) He is supportive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Camara's mother concerned about when he is home on vacation?
2. Who is Mamadou?
3. Who has arrived to celebrate Camara's departure from Kouroussa?
4. What does Camara's mother do when he tells her about his plans to study abroad?
5. In which month does Camara return to Conakry?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)