|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
(a) Into a big hut.
(b) Onto the river.
(c) Onto the railroad.
(d) Into the brush.
2. When do the young boys face the real test of circumcision?
(a) In their second to last year of school.
(b) In their final year of school.
(c) When they enter high school.
(d) When they finish school.
3. Who brings Camara to the train station before he leaves Kouroussa?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
4. What do the women and the girls do after the procession?
(a) They watch the boys.
(b) They cook.
(c) They go home.
(d) They stay out all night.
5. Who has arrived to celebrate Camara's departure from Kouroussa?
(a) Several friends.
(b) Several praise-singers.
(c) Several tom-tom players.
(d) Several family members.
6. Who gives the boys a handkerchief for their ceremony of circumcision?
(a) Their aunt.
(b) Their sister.
(c) Their mother.
(d) Their sweetheart.
7. Why does Camara's mother often get up in the middle of the night?
(a) To go to the bathroom.
(b) To eat something.
(c) To see if Camara is in bed alone.
(d) To talk to Camara.
8. How long do Camara, Kouyate, and Check sometimes disappear together during holidays?
(a) Entire afternoons.
(b) Entire evenings.
(c) Entire days.
(d) Several hours.
9. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
(a) In early morning.
(b) Late evening.
(c) Toward the middle of the night.
(d) At noon.
10. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
(a) How his parents will react to his decision to study abroad.
(b) His parents' health.
(c) Being away from Marie.
(d) His parents' reaction to his school results.
11. Who is Marie?
(a) A student at the girls' high school.
(b) A student at Camara's school.
(c) A former student at the girls' high school.
(d) A student at the girl's middle school.
12. How does Camara's mother light up his bed?
(a) With a flashlight.
(b) With a torch.
(c) With a match.
(d) With an oil lamp.
13. What do the guests shower the boys with during the circumcision ceremony?
14. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
15. How long do Camara and Kouyate stay at Check's bedside before he dies?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A week.
(d) Ten days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
2. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
3. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
4. What is the long tunic that reaches to the heels but is split up the sides called?
5. Camara's mother gives him a bottle of liquid good for what?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)