|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
2. Where does Camara pedal to with Marie?
(a) The forest.
(b) The beach.
(c) The river.
(d) The desert.
3. In which month does Camara return to Conakry?
4. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
(a) White threads.
(b) Black threads.
(c) White flowers.
(d) Black snakes.
5. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
(a) Onto the railroad.
(b) Into the brush.
(c) Into a big hut.
(d) Onto the river.
6. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
(a) Late evening.
(b) In early morning.
(c) At noon.
(d) Toward the middle of the night.
7. Where do Camara and his two friends show up after disappearing for awhile?
(a) At Camara's hut.
(b) At Check's mother's hut.
(c) At Camara's mother's hut.
(d) At Kouyate's mother's hut.
8. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
(a) His parents' health.
(b) How his parents will react to his decision to study abroad.
(c) His parents' reaction to his school results.
(d) Being away from Marie.
9. Who has arrived to celebrate Camara's departure from Kouroussa?
(a) Several family members.
(b) Several tom-tom players.
(c) Several friends.
(d) Several praise-singers.
10. When does Marie spend time at Mamadou's house?
(a) On Sundays.
(b) On Saturdays.
(c) In the evenings.
(d) On weekdays.
11. What will most boys become in the future?
12. What does Camara's mother do when he tells her about his plans to study abroad?
(a) She starts screaming.
(b) She starts crying.
(c) She tells him he's not going.
(d) She tells him he's allowed to go.
13. What kind of landscape does Camara see that he has never seen before while on the train to Conakry?
14. How did Camara stay in touch with his friends from home?
(a) With letters.
(b) By phone.
(c) With emails.
(d) Through voice messages.
15. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Camara's rite of passage start?
2. What makes Camara feel very smart and helpful?
3. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
4. What does Camara do when he sits at the bonfire on the night of the ritual?
5. Why does Camara return to Kouroussa after completing his final exams?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)