|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
(a) Because she thinks he is stupid.
(b) Because she thinks he has had so much schooling already.
(c) Because she thinks he wants to leave her.
(d) Because she thinks it's too expensive.
2. What is Camara's mother doing when she is approached about changing her mind about Camara studying abroad?
(a) She's preparing a dessert.
(b) She's preparing lunch.
(c) She's preparing breakfast.
(d) She's preparing the evening meal.
3. Who accompanies Camara to the airport?
(a) Camara's parents.
(d) Mamadou and Marie.
4. How does Camara feel about his mother's behavior each time he comes back home to find she has made improvements?
(a) It touches him.
(b) It annoys him.
(c) It troubles him.
(d) It makes him proud.
5. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as the sun sets.
(b) As soon as the sun rises.
(c) At noon.
(d) As soon as everybody is awake.
6. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
7. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
(a) Camara's uncle.
(c) The director of Camara's school.
(d) Camara's favorite teacher.
8. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
(a) Camara's father.
(b) Camara's uncle.
(c) Camara and his father.
9. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
(a) The Mechanical School.
(b) The Technical School.
(c) The School of Technology.
(d) The Technician's School.
10. Who is Mamadou?
(a) Camara's uncle.
(b) Camara's brother.
(c) Camara's cousin.
(d) Camara's nephew.
11. Who brings Camara to the train station before he leaves Kouroussa?
(a) His sister.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
12. What does Camara's mother do when he tells her about his plans to study abroad?
(a) She tells him he's allowed to go.
(b) She tells him he's not going.
(c) She starts crying.
(d) She starts screaming.
13. How does Camara's mother light up his bed?
(a) With a torch.
(b) With a match.
(c) With an oil lamp.
(d) With a flashlight.
14. What do the women and the girls do after the procession?
(a) They go home.
(b) They stay out all night.
(c) They cook.
(d) They watch the boys.
15. What has happened to Camara's school when he returns to it?
(a) It has been burnt down.
(b) It has become even less interesting.
(c) It has been destroyed by a flood.
(d) It has been reorganized.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives the boys a handkerchief for their ceremony of circumcision?
2. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
3. How long do Camara, Kouyate, and Check sometimes disappear together during holidays?
4. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
5. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)