|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the older boys and men do after the procession?
(a) They stay out for the night.
(b) They go home.
(c) They sing.
(d) They drink and eat.
2. Camara's mother gives him a bottle of liquid good for what?
(a) The feet.
(b) The chest.
(c) The brain.
(d) The face.
3. What do the guests shower the boys with during the circumcision ceremony?
4. What is Camara's mother doing when she is approached about changing her mind about Camara studying abroad?
(a) She's preparing breakfast.
(b) She's preparing a dessert.
(c) She's preparing lunch.
(d) She's preparing the evening meal.
5. What do the women and the girls do after the procession?
(a) They stay out all night.
(b) They cook.
(c) They go home.
(d) They watch the boys.
6. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
7. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
8. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
(a) Into a big hut.
(b) Onto the railroad.
(c) Into the brush.
(d) Onto the river.
9. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
10. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
(a) Late evening.
(b) In early morning.
(c) Toward the middle of the night.
(d) At noon.
11. The dancing goes on how long after the circumcision ceremony and before the boys are taken to a special hut where they will stay?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
12. Who brings Camara to the train station before he leaves Kouroussa?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
13. How long do Camara, Kouyate, and Check sometimes disappear together during holidays?
(a) Entire evenings.
(b) Entire days.
(c) Several hours.
(d) Entire afternoons.
14. What does Camara's father give Camara when he leaves home?
(a) A harp.
(b) A he-goat's horn.
(c) A he-sheep's horn.
(d) A tom-tom.
15. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
(a) The school teacher.
(b) The head of the village.
(c) The tom-tom player.
(d) The fathers of the boys.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
2. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
3. Who is Mamadou?
4. What kind of landscape does Camara see that he has never seen before while on the train to Conakry?
5. How long will the boys stay in a special hut after the circumcision?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)