|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the boys stay in a special hut after their circumcision?
(a) To recover as a group.
(b) To sing together.
(c) To feel sad together.
(d) To eat together.
2. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) At noon.
(b) As soon as the sun sets.
(c) As soon as the sun rises.
(d) As soon as everybody is awake.
3. Where do Camara and his two friends show up after disappearing for awhile?
(a) At Camara's hut.
(b) At Check's mother's hut.
(c) At Camara's mother's hut.
(d) At Kouyate's mother's hut.
4. What is the long tunic that reaches to the heels but is split up the sides called?
(a) A boubou.
(b) A wouwou.
(c) A burbon.
(d) A tom-tom.
5. What makes Camara feel very smart and helpful?
(a) Bicycling with Marie.
(b) Helping Marie with her homework.
(c) Dancing with Marie.
(d) Talking to Marie.
6. What kind of landscape does Camara see that he has never seen before while on the train to Conakry?
7. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
(a) Camara's favorite teacher.
(b) The director of Camara's school.
(c) Camara's uncle.
8. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
(a) Marie's name.
(b) His name.
(c) His friend's name.
(d) His uncle's name.
9. Who gives the boys a handkerchief for their ceremony of circumcision?
(a) Their aunt.
(b) Their sister.
(c) Their mother.
(d) Their sweetheart.
10. How does Camara's mother light up his bed?
(a) With a flashlight.
(b) With a match.
(c) With a torch.
(d) With an oil lamp.
11. How long is Camara planning to study abroad?
(a) A year.
(b) Two years.
(c) A month.
(d) Six months.
12. When does Camara's rite of passage start?
(a) One evening after the feast of Ramadan.
(b) During the feast of Ramadan.
(c) One evening when he's nine years old.
(d) One evening before the feast of Ramadan.
13. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
14. What do the older boys and men do after the procession?
(a) They go home.
(b) They drink and eat.
(c) They sing.
(d) They stay out for the night.
15. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
(a) A map of the airport.
(b) A map of the country he's going to.
(c) A map of the metro.
(d) A map of the city he's going to.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boys receive a handkerchief made of what for their circumcision ritual?
2. What type of emotion is outwardly manifested during the circumcision ceremony?
3. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
4. Why does Camara still have one year of school until graduation when his friends have already finished?
5. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)