|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
(a) The Mechanical School.
(b) The Technician's School.
(c) The School of Technology.
(d) The Technical School.
2. What is the long tunic that reaches to the heels but is split up the sides called?
(a) A wouwou.
(b) A boubou.
(c) A tom-tom.
(d) A burbon.
3. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
(a) To protect him against evil spirits.
(b) So he can play music.
(c) To wish him happiness.
(d) To call on the good spirits.
4. Who brings Camara to the train station before he leaves Kouroussa?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
5. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
6. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
(b) The director of Camara's school.
(c) Camara's uncle.
(d) Camara's favorite teacher.
7. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
8. Who is Marie?
(a) A former student at the girls' high school.
(b) A student at the girl's middle school.
(c) A student at the girls' high school.
(d) A student at Camara's school.
9. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
(a) A map of the airport.
(b) A map of the metro.
(c) A map of the country he's going to.
(d) A map of the city he's going to.
10. Who has arrived to celebrate Camara's departure from Kouroussa?
(a) Several praise-singers.
(b) Several friends.
(c) Several tom-tom players.
(d) Several family members.
11. What does Camara's father give Camara when he leaves home?
(a) A he-sheep's horn.
(b) A he-goat's horn.
(c) A harp.
(d) A tom-tom.
12. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
13. What does Camara's mother do when he tells her about his plans to study abroad?
(a) She starts screaming.
(b) She starts crying.
(c) She tells him he's allowed to go.
(d) She tells him he's not going.
14. The dancing goes on how long after the circumcision ceremony and before the boys are taken to a special hut where they will stay?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
15. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
(a) Black threads.
(b) White flowers.
(c) White threads.
(d) Black snakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
2. When does Camara's rite of passage start?
3. What is Camara worried about when he returns home after his final exams in Conakry?
4. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
5. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)