|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Camara's mother gives him a bottle of liquid good for what?
(a) The face.
(b) The chest.
(c) The brain.
(d) The feet.
2. Why does Camara return to Kouroussa after completing his final exams?
(a) To be with his friends.
(b) To eat and drink.
(c) To worry about his mother.
(d) To celebrate his school success.
3. What do the women and the girls do after the procession?
(a) They go home.
(b) They stay out all night.
(c) They watch the boys.
(d) They cook.
4. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
(a) White threads.
(b) White flowers.
(c) Black snakes.
(d) Black threads.
5. What does Camara do when he sits at the bonfire on the night of the ritual?
(a) He smiles.
(b) He sings.
(c) He jumps over the fire.
(d) He trembles.
6. What has happened to Camara's school when he returns to it?
(a) It has been destroyed by a flood.
(b) It has been reorganized.
(c) It has become even less interesting.
(d) It has been burnt down.
7. How beautiful does Camara think Marie is?
(a) As beautiful as a fairy.
(b) As beautiful as a goddess.
(c) As beautiful as his mother.
(d) As beautiful as his sister.
8. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
(a) His friend's name.
(b) His uncle's name.
(c) Marie's name.
(d) His name.
9. Who encourages Camara and Marie to be more intimate?
(a) Marie's aunts.
(b) Camara's aunts.
(c) Camara's uncle.
(d) Marie's mother.
10. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
11. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
(a) The school teacher.
(b) The head of the village.
(c) The tom-tom player.
(d) The fathers of the boys.
12. How does Camara's father react when he tells him about his plans to study abroad?
(a) He starts crying.
(b) He starts screaming.
(c) He is opposed to the idea.
(d) He is supportive.
13. Where are the boys led when the ritual procession finishes?
(a) Into a big hut.
(b) Into the brush.
(c) Onto the railroad.
(d) Onto the river.
14. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as everybody is awake.
(b) As soon as the sun rises.
(c) At noon.
(d) As soon as the sun sets.
15. In which month does Camara return to Conakry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
2. What will most boys become in the future?
3. How long will the boys stay in a special hut after the circumcision?
4. Who brings Camara to the train station before he leaves Kouroussa?
5. Where does Camara pedal to with Marie?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)