|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
2. Why does Camara still have one year of school until graduation when his friends have already finished?
(a) Because he is not intelligent.
(b) Because he is lazy.
(c) Because he lost a year of school.
(d) Because he has wasted a year doing nothing.
3. Why does Camara get hospitalized during his first year in Conakry?
(a) Because of a seizure.
(b) Because of a car accident.
(c) Because of a disease.
(d) Because of an infection.
4. What type of emotion is outwardly manifested during the circumcision ceremony?
5. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
(a) Marie's name.
(b) His uncle's name.
(c) His friend's name.
(d) His name.
6. Why does Camara's father give Camara a gift when he leaves home?
(a) To call on the good spirits.
(b) To protect him against evil spirits.
(c) To wish him happiness.
(d) So he can play music.
7. What does Camara's father give Camara when he leaves home?
(a) A harp.
(b) A he-goat's horn.
(c) A tom-tom.
(d) A he-sheep's horn.
8. What is Camara's mother doing when she is approached about changing her mind about Camara studying abroad?
(a) She's preparing a dessert.
(b) She's preparing the evening meal.
(c) She's preparing breakfast.
(d) She's preparing lunch.
9. What is the long tunic that reaches to the heels but is split up the sides called?
(a) A burbon.
(b) A tom-tom.
(c) A wouwou.
(d) A boubou.
10. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
(a) In early morning.
(b) At noon.
(c) Toward the middle of the night.
(d) Late evening.
11. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
(a) She falls to the ground.
(b) She hugs him.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She cries.
12. What do the older boys and men do after the procession?
(a) They sing.
(b) They go home.
(c) They drink and eat.
(d) They stay out for the night.
13. What kind of look is Camara's hut acquiring over time?
(a) A European look.
(b) An African look.
(c) An Asian look.
(d) An American look.
14. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
(a) Camara and his father.
(b) Camara's father.
(c) Camara's uncle.
15. Camara's mother gives him a bottle of liquid good for what?
(a) The face.
(b) The feet.
(c) The brain.
(d) The chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Camara stay in touch with his friends from home?
2. How does Camara feel about the transition from childhood to manhood?
3. In which month does Camara return to Conakry?
4. Why does Camara return to Kouroussa after completing his final exams?
5. Who has arrived to celebrate Camara's departure from Kouroussa?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)