|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the boys stay in a special hut after their circumcision?
(a) To sing together.
(b) To recover as a group.
(c) To eat together.
(d) To feel sad together.
2. What makes Camara feel very smart and helpful?
(a) Helping Marie with her homework.
(b) Bicycling with Marie.
(c) Talking to Marie.
(d) Dancing with Marie.
3. What does Camara's mother do right before he leaves home?
(a) She falls to the ground.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She cries.
4. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
(b) Camara and his father.
(c) Camara's uncle.
(d) Camara's father.
5. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
6. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
(a) The school teacher.
(b) The head of the village.
(c) The fathers of the boys.
(d) The tom-tom player.
7. What does Camara's father's second wife hold up as a symbol for Camara during the circumcision ceremony?
(a) An exercise book and sharpies.
(c) An exercise book and fountain pens.
(d) A school uniform.
8. In which country does Camara have an opportunity to finish his studies?
9. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
(a) Black threads.
(b) White flowers.
(c) Black snakes.
(d) White threads.
10. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
(a) A map of the metro.
(b) A map of the airport.
(c) A map of the country he's going to.
(d) A map of the city he's going to.
11. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
12. When does the ritual procession around town finish?
(a) At noon.
(b) Late evening.
(c) Toward the middle of the night.
(d) In early morning.
13. The dancing goes on how long after the circumcision ceremony and before the boys are taken to a special hut where they will stay?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
14. Why does Camara return to Kouroussa after completing his final exams?
(a) To celebrate his school success.
(b) To worry about his mother.
(c) To be with his friends.
(d) To eat and drink.
15. How long do Camara, Kouyate, and Check sometimes disappear together during holidays?
(a) Several hours.
(b) Entire days.
(c) Entire evenings.
(d) Entire afternoons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of emotion is outwardly manifested during the circumcision ceremony?
2. When does Camara leave home?
3. Who is Mamadou?
4. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
5. Who is Konden Diara?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)