|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives the boys a handkerchief for their ceremony of circumcision?
(a) Their aunt.
(b) Their sweetheart.
(c) Their sister.
(d) Their mother.
2. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
(a) The tom-tom player.
(b) The fathers of the boys.
(c) The head of the village.
(d) The school teacher.
3. Who has arrived to celebrate Camara's departure from Kouroussa?
(a) Several family members.
(b) Several friends.
(c) Several praise-singers.
(d) Several tom-tom players.
4. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
(a) That his mother is happier.
(b) That his mother is more sad.
(c) That his mother has made improvements to her hut.
(d) That his mother has made improvements to his hut.
5. What does Camara do when he sits at the bonfire on the night of the ritual?
(a) He trembles.
(b) He sings.
(c) He smiles.
(d) He jumps over the fire.
6. What does Camara find on the honor roll at his school every term?
(a) Marie's name.
(b) His uncle's name.
(c) His name.
(d) His friend's name.
7. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
(a) White threads.
(b) Black threads.
(c) Black snakes.
(d) White flowers.
8. The boys receive a handkerchief made of what for their circumcision ritual?
9. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) As soon as everybody is awake.
(b) As soon as the sun sets.
(c) At noon.
(d) As soon as the sun rises.
10. Who is Konden Diara?
(a) An evil spirit.
(b) A snake that eats little boys.
(c) A lion that eats little boys.
(d) A good spirit.
11. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
12. What is Camara's mother doing when she is approached about changing her mind about Camara studying abroad?
(a) She's preparing breakfast.
(b) She's preparing a dessert.
(c) She's preparing the evening meal.
(d) She's preparing lunch.
13. Who is Mamadou?
(a) Camara's cousin.
(b) Camara's nephew.
(c) Camara's uncle.
(d) Camara's brother.
14. Who brings Camara to the train station before he leaves Kouroussa?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
15. Why does Camara get hospitalized during his first year in Conakry?
(a) Because of a seizure.
(b) Because of a car accident.
(c) Because of a disease.
(d) Because of an infection.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the women and the girls do after the procession?
2. What is Camara's mother concerned about when he is home on vacation?
3. Why does Camara still have one year of school until graduation when his friends have already finished?
4. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
5. What will most boys become in the future?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)