|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Camara gets on the train, he thinks about a certain person. Who does he think about?
2. Why does Camara's mother find it difficult to understand why he wants more schooling?
(a) Because she thinks he is stupid.
(b) Because she thinks he has had so much schooling already.
(c) Because she thinks he wants to leave her.
(d) Because she thinks it's too expensive.
3. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
4. When does Camara's rite of passage start?
(a) One evening before the feast of Ramadan.
(b) One evening when he's nine years old.
(c) One evening after the feast of Ramadan.
(d) During the feast of Ramadan.
5. When does Marie spend time at Mamadou's house?
(a) On Sundays.
(b) On Saturdays.
(c) In the evenings.
(d) On weekdays.
6. What does the director in Conakry give Camara before he leaves the country?
(a) A map of the airport.
(b) A map of the city he's going to.
(c) A map of the metro.
(d) A map of the country he's going to.
7. What does Camara's mother do when he tells her about his plans to study abroad?
(a) She starts screaming.
(b) She tells him he's not going.
(c) She tells him he's allowed to go.
(d) She starts crying.
8. What is Camara's mother concerned about when he is home on vacation?
(a) About some of the farmers he associates with.
(b) About some of the young women he associates with.
(c) About some of the young men he associates with.
(d) About some of the children he associates with.
9. How did Camara stay in touch with his friends from home?
(a) Through voice messages.
(b) With letters.
(c) With emails.
(d) By phone.
10. When does Camara leave home?
(a) When he's fourteen.
(b) When he's sixteen.
(c) When he's fifteen.
(d) When he's twelve.
11. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
(a) That his mother has made improvements to her hut.
(b) That his mother is happier.
(c) That his mother is more sad.
(d) That his mother has made improvements to his hut.
12. How long is Camara planning to study abroad?
(a) A month.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
13. Why does Camara's mother often get up in the middle of the night?
(a) To see if Camara is in bed alone.
(b) To eat something.
(c) To go to the bathroom.
(d) To talk to Camara.
14. Why do the boys stay in a special hut after their circumcision?
(a) To recover as a group.
(b) To eat together.
(c) To feel sad together.
(d) To sing together.
15. How does Camara feel about Konden Diara?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Camara to the train station before he leaves Kouroussa?
2. When do the young boys face the real test of circumcision?
3. Who encourages Camara and Marie to be more intimate?
4. What will most boys become in the future?
5. Camara's mother gives him a bottle of liquid good for what?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)