|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Camara and his two friends show up after disappearing for awhile?
(a) At Kouyate's mother's hut.
(b) At Camara's mother's hut.
(c) At Camara's hut.
(d) At Check's mother's hut.
2. How does Check feel about summer he and Kouyate are having while waiting for teaching jobs?
3. What is the quality of the instruction in Camara's school when he returns to it?
4. Where does Camara pedal to with Marie?
(a) The river.
(b) The beach.
(c) The desert.
(d) The forest.
5. Who asks Camara if he would like to go abroad to finish his studies?
(b) Camara's uncle.
(c) Camara's favorite teacher.
(d) The director of Camara's school.
6. Who talks to Camara's mother about his desire to study abroad in hopes of convincing her that it is a good idea?
(a) Camara's uncle.
(b) Camara and his father.
(c) Camara's father.
7. What is the only thing Konden Diara will do to Camara according to his father?
(a) Roar at him.
(b) Laugh at him.
(c) Eat him.
(d) Sing to him.
8. When do the young boys face the real test of circumcision?
(a) When they finish school.
(b) In their final year of school.
(c) In their second to last year of school.
(d) When they enter high school.
9. When does Camara leave home?
(a) When he's fifteen.
(b) When he's twelve.
(c) When he's sixteen.
(d) When he's fourteen.
10. What does Camara notice each time he returns home for vacation?
(a) That his mother is happier.
(b) That his mother has made improvements to his hut.
(c) That his mother has made improvements to her hut.
(d) That his mother is more sad.
11. Who gathers the boys to take them away for their teenage ritual?
(a) The tom-tom player.
(b) The head of the village.
(c) The fathers of the boys.
(d) The school teacher.
12. How do the other boys feel when Camara puts Marie on his bicycle?
13. What has happened to Camara's school when he returns to it?
(a) It has been reorganized.
(b) It has been burnt down.
(c) It has become even less interesting.
(d) It has been destroyed by a flood.
14. What is the long tunic that reaches to the heels but is split up the sides called?
(a) A tom-tom.
(b) A boubou.
(c) A burbon.
(d) A wouwou.
15. When does the tom-tom begin to beat for the rite of passage?
(a) At noon.
(b) As soon as the sun rises.
(c) As soon as the sun sets.
(d) As soon as everybody is awake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school does Camara attend when he leaves home?
2. Why does Camara still have one year of school until graduation when his friends have already finished?
3. What kind of landscape does Camara see that he has never seen before while on the train to Conakry?
4. What is hanging from the bombax trees and huts when the sun comes up after the Ceremony of the Lions?
5. What is Camara's mother doing when she is approached about changing her mind about Camara studying abroad?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)