|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the reapers do while they work?
(a) They eat.
(b) They talk.
(c) They complain.
(d) They sing.
2. Who do the children occasionally complain to when being taken advantage of?
(a) To their friends.
(b) To their parents.
(c) To the director.
(d) To their brothers.
3. What does Camara believe about his mother?
(a) That she has special powers.
(b) That she doesn't have special powers.
(c) That she is very special.
(d) That she has special flowers.
4. What is the name of one particular apprentice Camara remembers?
5. What does Camara's mother forbid the men to do to the animal that she has to bring to its feet?
(a) To hit it.
(b) To pet it.
(c) To wash it.
(d) To feed it.
6. Camara's mother's presence maintains what during meal times?
(a) Order and tradition.
7. What kind of food do the women bring the reapers at noon?
(c) Rice and beans.
(d) Rice and peas.
8. What does the woman do when the trinket is presented to her?
(a) She trembles.
(b) She sighs.
(c) She sits down.
(d) She laughs.
9. How does Camara feel the night after he hears the story about the special snake?
10. What does Camara begin to do in the rice fields?
11. Why do the reapers not compete with each other?
(a) Because they all have the same strength.
(b) Because they are lazy.
(c) Because they are tired.
(d) So they can all stay together.
12. Why does Camara not pull Fanta's hair anymore after their conversation?
(a) Because he feels foolish about pulling her hair.
(b) Because he starts pulling somebody else's hair.
(c) Because he is afraid of her.
(d) Because he doesn't like her anymore.
13. What announces that the harvest has begun?
(a) The sound of a harp.
(b) The sound of a flute.
(c) The tam-tam.
(d) The tom-tom.
14. What is the name of Kouyate's sister?
15. What does Camara's father do as he works with the gold?
(a) He breathes unknown cantations.
(b) He talks to his son.
(c) He is very quiet.
(d) He sings a song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job Camara's father practices?
2. Why do women who want a golden trinket hire a praise-singer to have the trinket made well and on time?
3. How did Camara's father initially feel after the special snake's first appearance?
4. What does Camara do when the reapers need water?
5. Which animals are abundant in the river when the water rises?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)