|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cuts the first swath of rice from the field on the day of the harvest?
(a) The head of each family.
(b) The praise-singer.
(c) The eldest son of each family.
(d) The mother of each family.
2. When the special snake began to appear on a regular basis, what did it do?
(a) He helped Camara's father know the future.
(b) He helped Camara's mother know the future.
(c) He helped Camara know the future.
(d) He helped Camara's father know life's secrets.
3. Which member of Camara's family is a reaper?
(a) His youngest uncle.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His oldest uncle.
(d) His nephew.
4. Where does Camara stay while in Tindican?
(a) In his grandmother's hut.
(b) In his grandfather's hut.
(c) In his own hut.
(d) In his uncle's hut.
5. Why does Camara assume that his father underwent the rituals of preparing to work with gold before he even stepped foot in the shop the morning of the woman's arrival with gold?
(a) Because his father already heard about this specific task.
(b) Because his father has done this specific task before.
(c) Because his father already dreamt about this specific task.
(d) Because his father already read about this specific task.
6. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
(a) Because it is the guiding spirit of his mother.
(b) Because it is the guiding spirit of his uncle.
(c) Because it is the guiding spirit of the house.
(d) Because it is the guiding spirit of his father.
7. Who is the praise-singer talking about in chapter 2?
(a) About people Camara has never heard about.
(b) About people Camara has sometimes heard about.
(c) About people Camara has heard all about.
(d) About people Camara likes.
8. What color is Camara's school uniform?
9. What do Camara and his friends play with while he's in Tindican?
(b) Soccer balls.
(c) Metal toys.
10. What does Camara begin to do in the rice fields?
11. What kind of food do the women bring the reapers at noon?
(b) Rice and peas.
(c) Rice and beans.
12. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
(d) Full of stuff.
13. What does the woman do when the trinket is presented to her?
(a) She sighs.
(b) She sits down.
(c) She laughs.
(d) She trembles.
14. What does Kouyate's father do as a profession?
15. What does Camara's mother forbid the men to do to the animal that she has to bring to its feet?
(a) To wash it.
(b) To feed it.
(c) To pet it.
(d) To hit it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a man is Lansana's twin brother?
2. How did the special snake first appear to Camara's father?
3. Why are there always many apprentices staying at Camara's father's forge?
4. What does young Camara do in his father's forge?
5. What does Camara's grandmother always do as soon as he arrives?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)