|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do parents send their children to Camara's father?
(a) To get paid.
(b) To work as an apprentice.
(c) To observe his work.
(d) To play music.
2. Why do people hang ears of corn on ropes?
(a) To keep them away from the pets.
(b) To keep them away from the children.
(c) To keep them away from the neighbors.
(d) To keep them away from the farm animals.
3. When does rice season occur in Tindican?
(a) In November.
(b) In December.
(c) In October.
(d) In January.
4. Why does Camara pull Fanta's hair?
(a) Because she is childish.
(b) Because she is a friend.
(c) Because she is a girl.
(d) Because he doesn't like her.
5. After the animal encounter in the forge, what does Camara like to yell to his mother?
(a) "There's a snake!"
(b) "There's a mouse!"
(c) "There's a rabbit!"
(d) "There are snakes!"
6. Who do the older children take their frustration out on?
(a) Their friends.
(b) The younger children.
(c) Their parents.
(d) The teacher.
7. Why does Camara's father always do the gold work himself?
(a) Because he has special powers.
(b) Because other people argue about this work.
(c) Because he's the boss.
(d) Because he wants to make all the money.
8. What kind of woman visits Camara's father's shop in chapter two?
(a) A representative of all the villagers who come to the shop with silver.
(b) A representative of all the women who come to the shop with gold.
(c) A representative of all the women who come to the shop with silver.
(d) A normal member of all the women who come to the shop with silver.
9. What do many people think of country folk?
(a) That they are uncivilized and coarse.
(b) That they are civilized and coarse.
(c) That they are strong.
(d) That they are unhealthy.
10. What does the animal do after Camara's mother gets it back on its feet?
(a) He follows Camara away.
(b) He stays with Camara's mother.
(c) He runs off.
(d) He follows his master away.
11. What do Camara and his friends play with while he's in Tindican?
(b) Metal toys.
(c) Soccer balls.
12. What is the name of Kouyate's sister?
13. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated?
(a) Like children of the neighbors.
(b) Like spoiled children.
(c) Like adults.
(d) Like children of the family.
14. What does Camara's mother forbid the men to do to the animal that she has to bring to its feet?
(a) To pet it.
(b) To hit it.
(c) To wash it.
(d) To feed it.
15. Why do all the apprentices and workers in the blacksmith shop turn their attention to the production of the trinket?
(a) Because gold work is rare and fascinating.
(b) Because gold work is rare and boring.
(c) Because gold work is boring.
(d) Because gold work is abundant and fascinating.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camara's father do when he hears the douga?
2. Who is the praise-singer talking about in chapter 2?
3. Who prepares the food in Camara's house?
4. Why do women want trinkets made out of gold?
5. What does Fanta bring Camara after he runs off crying after the ordeal at school?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)