|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people hang ears of corn on ropes?
(a) To keep them away from the children.
(b) To keep them away from the farm animals.
(c) To keep them away from the pets.
(d) To keep them away from the neighbors.
2. What fascinating animal does young Camara see in his father's forge?
(a) A snake.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dog.
3. What did Camara and his apprentice friend talk about?
(a) About their days.
(b) About their friends.
(c) About food.
(d) About the weather.
4. Who does Camara share his bed with?
(a) His father's younger apprentices.
(b) His brothers.
(c) His sisters.
(d) His father's older apprentices.
5. What does Camara love to do in the evenings while in Tindican?
(a) He loves to sit outside.
(b) He loves to sing with the whole family.
(c) He loves to sit with the whole family and yell at everyone.
(d) He loves to sit with the whole family and study everyone.
6. When is the douga sung?
(a) When evil spirits need to be set free.
(b) Only when gold work is presented.
(d) All the time.
7. What is an example of a preparatory ritual for gold work undertaken by Camara's father?
(a) Not eating for several days.
(b) Not washing himself for several days.
(c) Eating a lot.
(d) Washing himself all over.
8. What does Kouyate's father do as a profession?
9. What does Camara love to do when Lansana's twin shows up in Tindican?
(a) Eat with him.
(b) Talk to him.
(c) Walk with him.
(d) Listen to his stories.
10. Where is Tindican in relation to Kouroussa?
11. Why do parents send their children to Camara's father?
(a) To get paid.
(b) To observe his work.
(c) To work as an apprentice.
(d) To play music.
12. What does young Camara do in his father's forge?
(a) He plays music.
(b) He listens to the sounds.
(c) He makes a nuisance of himself.
(d) He helps his father.
13. What does Camara believe about his mother?
(a) That she is very special.
(b) That she has special flowers.
(c) That she doesn't have special powers.
(d) That she has special powers.
14. Why does Camara not pull Fanta's hair anymore after their conversation?
(a) Because he starts pulling somebody else's hair.
(b) Because he doesn't like her anymore.
(c) Because he is afraid of her.
(d) Because he feels foolish about pulling her hair.
15. Who is always present when Camara's father works with gold?
(a) A black cat.
(b) A new snake.
(c) Camara's mother.
(d) The black snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Camara and his friends play with while he's in Tindican?
2. Which animals are abundant in the river when the water rises?
3. When does the school teacher punish the students physically?
4. Why do the reapers not compete with each other?
5. What does Camara know about the harvest tradition?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)