|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example of a preparatory ritual for gold work undertaken by Camara's father?
(a) Washing himself all over.
(b) Not washing himself for several days.
(c) Not eating for several days.
(d) Eating a lot.
2. What does legend say about twin brothers?
(a) That they are practically magicians.
(b) That they are practically dumb.
(c) That they are practically strong.
(d) That they are practically doctors.
3. Why do people hang ears of corn on ropes?
(a) To keep them away from the farm animals.
(b) To keep them away from the neighbors.
(c) To keep them away from the pets.
(d) To keep them away from the children.
4. What do the reapers use to do their work?
5. Where is Tindican in relation to Kouroussa?
6. Camara's mother's presence maintains what during meal times?
(a) Order and tradition.
7. How old is Camara in his earliest memories?
(a) Three or four.
(b) Six or seven.
(c) Five or six.
(d) Four or five.
8. Why does Camara's father send his children to school?
(a) To sing.
(b) To learn.
(c) To play.
(d) To be treated like slaves.
9. What does Camara love to do in the evenings while in Tindican?
(a) He loves to sit outside.
(b) He loves to sit with the whole family and yell at everyone.
(c) He loves to sing with the whole family.
(d) He loves to sit with the whole family and study everyone.
10. Why do all the apprentices and workers in the blacksmith shop turn their attention to the production of the trinket?
(a) Because gold work is rare and boring.
(b) Because gold work is boring.
(c) Because gold work is rare and fascinating.
(d) Because gold work is abundant and fascinating.
11. What announces that the harvest has begun?
(a) The sound of a flute.
(b) The tam-tam.
(c) The sound of a harp.
(d) The tom-tom.
12. What does young Camara offer to the animal he sees in his father's forge?
(a) A reed.
(d) A mouse.
13. When is the douga sung?
(a) Only when gold work is presented.
(b) All the time.
(d) When evil spirits need to be set free.
14. After the animal encounter in the forge, what does Camara like to yell to his mother?
(a) "There's a snake!"
(b) "There's a rabbit!"
(c) "There's a mouse!"
(d) "There are snakes!"
15. Who does Camara walk to school with when he is a child?
(a) With his friend.
(b) With his nephew.
(c) With his sister.
(d) With his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Camara's mother displays what sort of attitude?
2. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
3. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican when Camara does it with his youngest uncle?
4. What is a sayon?
5. What is the color of the special snake Camara finds one day?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)