|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do parents send their children to Camara's father?
(a) To get paid.
(b) To play music.
(c) To observe his work.
(d) To work as an apprentice.
2. What does Camara know about the harvest tradition?
(b) Not much.
(c) He learned much about the tradition.
(d) He understands where it comes from.
3. Why do women who want a golden trinket hire a praise-singer to have the trinket made well and on time?
(a) To act as a go-between.
(b) To act as a friend.
(c) To act as a seller.
(d) To act as a priest.
4. The students' parents have been unaware of the atmosphere surrounding Camara's school. What type of atmosphere has it been?
5. Why do women want trinkets made out of gold?
(a) For no special reason.
(b) For a friend.
(c) For decoration.
(d) For special occasions.
6. Where do the people of Camara's village occasionally find gold?
(a) In the mud.
(b) In the forest.
(c) In the sand.
(d) In the clay.
7. What instrument does the praise-singer pull out when singing the praises of Camara's father in chapter 2?
(a) A drum.
(b) A harp.
(c) A violin.
(d) A guitar.
8. What does Camara do when the reapers need water?
(a) He walks to fetch it.
(b) He runs to fetch it.
(c) He doesn't do anything.
(d) He collects it from the rain.
9. What does Fanta bring Camara after he runs off crying after the ordeal at school?
(a) A wheat cake.
(b) Chocolate cookies.
(c) A chocolate cake.
(d) A carrot cake.
10. What do Camara and his friends play with while he's in Tindican?
(b) Metal toys.
(c) Soccer balls.
11. Who does Camara share his bed with?
(a) His brothers.
(b) His sisters.
(c) His father's younger apprentices.
(d) His father's older apprentices.
12. Why does Camara assume that his father underwent the rituals of preparing to work with gold before he even stepped foot in the shop the morning of the woman's arrival with gold?
(a) Because his father has done this specific task before.
(b) Because his father already read about this specific task.
(c) Because his father already heard about this specific task.
(d) Because his father already dreamt about this specific task.
13. How long is the walk from Kouroussa to Tindican normally?
(a) One hour.
(b) Four hours.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Three hours.
14. What does Camara's mother forbid the men to do to the animal that she has to bring to its feet?
(a) To hit it.
(b) To feed it.
(c) To wash it.
(d) To pet it.
15. Why is the snake which Camara finds special?
(a) Because it is the guiding spirit of the house.
(b) Because it is the guiding spirit of his father.
(c) Because it is the guiding spirit of his uncle.
(d) Because it is the guiding spirit of his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the animal do after Camara's mother gets it back on its feet?
2. Where does Camara's grandmother store milk?
3. What does Camara think about country people?
4. What did Camara and his apprentice friend talk about?
5. What does young Camara enjoy doing from the corner of the workshop?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)