|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the special snake first appear to Camara's father?
(a) In a thought.
(b) In a dream.
(c) In the yard.
(d) In a story.
2. Who does Camara walk to school with when he is a child?
(a) With his nephew.
(b) With his friend.
(c) With his sister.
(d) With his brother.
3. What do the reapers do while they work?
(a) They talk.
(b) They complain.
(c) They sing.
(d) They eat.
4. What does Camara's grandmother do with him when she takes him around her village?
(a) She shows him off.
(b) She makes him sing.
(c) She makes him talk to everybody.
(d) She holds him the whole time.
5. What does Camara's grandmother's hut look like?
(a) Full of stuff.
6. What instrument does the praise-singer pull out when singing the praises of Camara's father in chapter 2?
(a) A harp.
(b) A guitar.
(c) A violin.
(d) A drum.
7. How did Camara's father initially feel after the special snake's first appearance?
8. How are Camara's father's apprentices treated?
(a) Like adults.
(b) Like children of the neighbors.
(c) Like spoiled children.
(d) Like children of the family.
9. What does Camara's grandmother always do as soon as he arrives?
(a) Praise him.
(b) Wash him from head to foot.
(c) Massage his feet.
(d) Wash his head.
10. What does young Camara offer to the animal he sees in his father's forge?
(c) A mouse.
(d) A reed.
11. What kind of food do the women bring the reapers at noon?
(c) Rice and peas.
(d) Rice and beans.
12. What does Camara's father do as he works with the gold?
(a) He talks to his son.
(b) He sings a song.
(c) He breathes unknown cantations.
(d) He is very quiet.
13. What does Camara's school teacher do?
(a) He laughs at the students.
(b) He beats the students.
(c) He is nice to the students.
(d) He hugs the students.
14. Why do women who want a golden trinket hire a praise-singer to have the trinket made well and on time?
(a) To act as a seller.
(b) To act as a friend.
(c) To act as a priest.
(d) To act as a go-between.
15. Where are Camara's parents' huts located?
(a) Close to a farm.
(b) Close to a river.
(c) Close to a busy road.
(d) Close to a railroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do all the apprentices and workers in the blacksmith shop turn their attention to the production of the trinket?
2. What is an example of a preparatory ritual for gold work undertaken by Camara's father?
3. What does the animal do after Camara's mother gets it back on its feet?
4. Why do women want trinkets made out of gold?
5. What does Camara's mother forbid the men to do to the animal that she has to bring to its feet?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)