|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event did the Running Magazine ask Thompson to cover?
2. What is making it impossible to leave the island?
3. What does Hunter watch in Wilbur's house?
4. What does Hunter think could inflame Hawaii's racial tension?
5. What does Kipling warn westerners not to do in Naulahka?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do Lono and Pele play in Hawaiian culture?
2. Why do Ralph and Hunter start annoying Each other in this section?
3. What does Ackerman tell Hunter about Hawaii?
4. Why does Hunter regard Skinner as a friend?
5. How does Hunter report on the marathon in this section?
6. How does Hunter S. Thompson come in possession of a Samoan War Club?
7. What do Hawaiians believe about Pele?
8. What does Hunter observe about the marathon in this section?
9. Why does Twain think the Hawaiians thought Lono Captain Cook was Lono?
10. How does Hunter try to help Ralph's sleeping problems in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Iris Hunter's previous book and contrast it with Curse of Lono in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What are the arguments for and against drugs use? What are Hunter's's opinions on drug use how does he express them? Do you agree or disagree with Hunter?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)