Short Essay Answer Key
1. Describe first two Steadman paintings in the book.
The book opens with two Ralph Steadman paintings. Each painting shows an archaic sailing vessel approaching the Hawaiian coast. The second painting quotes from Rudyard Kipling's Naulahka. He cautions westerners against hustling the east.
2. How were the makahiki games founded?
In a moment of anger, Lono slew his wife. Overcome with grief, the god sought solace in wrestling and boxing, eventually instituting the athletic games called the makahiki.
3. Why does Twain think the Hawaiians thought Lono Captain Cook was Lono?
Lono departed the islands in a three-cornered raft, promising to return. This is why the Hawaiians were willing to accept that Captain Cook was Lono.
4. How does Streadman depict Ackerman in his drawing?
Ralph draws a smiling Ackerman emerging from the restroom. His arm is vibrant blue.
5. What does Ackerman tell Hunter about...
This section contains 2,568 words|
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)