|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Nathan to his sleeping quarters after having dinner at Lippman's?
2. What does Maria judge herself against?
3. What type of accent does a woman Nathan encounters in Israel have?
4. With whom does Henry go to Israel?
5. Nathan says he knows the Hebrew words for _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Nathan's visit to Israel in 1960.
2. Discuss Henry's love life and who is involved.
3. Discuss what happens when Nathan and Lippman first meet.
4. What is the Wailing Wall? What are Nathan's thoughts about it?
5. Why does Nathan want to be married to Maria?
6. Discuss the side effects of the medication Henry takes.
7. Discuss Maria's divorce.
8. Who is Nathan? What happens when Henry tries to get in touch with Nathan?
9. What are Nathan's thoughts during Henry's funeral?
10. What is Nathan's experience while in Henry's Hebrew class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Decide whom you believe to be the protagonist and the antagonist in the story. Explain why you chose these characters. What classifies these characters as being a protagonist and an antagonist? What are the results of having a protagonist and an antagonist in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the value of a brotherly relationship in the novel and the outcome when a brotherly relationship goes sour.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of chapters and titles in the novel and the effect they have on the story.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)