|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry travel to see?
2. Who takes Nathan to his sleeping quarters after having dinner at Lippman's?
3. What happens to Henry in "Part 2 Basel, pages 13-49"?
4. What does Maria accuse her ex-husband of doing?
5. How long did Henry and Wendy know each other before their affair started?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Wailing Wall? What are Nathan's thoughts about it?
2. What is Henry's behavior when he goes on a walk with Nathan?
3. Discuss the eulogy Carol gives at Henry's funeral.
4. Who is Jimmy Ben-Joseph? Why does he like Nathan's writing?
5. What happens when Nathan compares his father to Lippman?
6. Discuss Nathan's encounter with the woman with an American accent.
7. What are Nathan's thoughts during Henry's funeral?
8. Discuss the conversation between Nathan and Henry's daughter.
9. Discuss the side effects of the medication Henry takes.
10. What do Nathan and Henry discuss after dinner at Lippman's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of heritage in the novel and the role it plays in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing plays a role in the novel when following certain versions of the story. What is the role of foreshadowing in the novel? What are the positive and negative aspects of this writing style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of chapters and titles in the novel and the effect they have on the story.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)