|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's response when Nathan mentions the telephone call he had with Henry's daughter?
2. What is Henry's relation to Nathan?
3. What type of woman does Maria worry she is?
4. What does Carol notice about Henry after he has surgery?
5. What year does Nathan visit Israel in "Part 2 Judea, pages 50-66"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conversation between Nathan and Henry's daughter.
2. What is discussed during the dinner at Lippman's?
3. What is the Wailing Wall? What are Nathan's thoughts about it?
4. Discuss what happens when Nathan and Lippman first meet.
5. What is Henry's behavior when he goes on a walk with Nathan?
6. Discuss the insults Nathan and Henry give each other during their argument.
7. Discuss Nathan's visit to Israel in 1960.
8. Who is Nathan? What happens when Henry tries to get in touch with Nathan?
9. What does Henry do three weeks after returning to the United States?
10. Discuss the eulogy Carol gives at Henry's funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of peace and war are shown between the Jews and the Arabs in Israel. How is this idea of peace and war used? What effect does this have on the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the value of marriage in the novel. Does marriage appear to be something that is valued and respected? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The genre of the novel is ___. Why does the book fall into this genre? Give at least three examples in order to justify your response.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)