|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Henry telephone in Part 1?
2. Whom does Nathan have lunch with during his first visit to Israel?
3. What does Nathan think the affair Henry had with Wendy caused him to do?
4. How long did Henry and Wendy know each other before their affair started?
5. What does Maria sign in exchange for not mentioning her infidelity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the eulogy Carol gives at Henry's funeral.
2. Who is Henry Zuckerman? What is he diagnosed with?
3. What does Nathan believe to be the reasons for Henry's death?
4. Why does Nathan want to be married to Maria?
5. Discuss Nathan's visit to Israel in 1960.
6. What happens when Nathan compares his father to Lippman?
7. Discuss the side effects of the medication Henry takes.
8. Discuss what happens when Nathan and Lippman first meet.
9. What is the Wailing Wall? What are Nathan's thoughts about it?
10. What do Nathan and Henry discuss after dinner at Lippman's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The history of the Jews is discussed in the novel. What type of history does the novel give about the Jews, and what are the effects of this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the value of marriage in the novel. Does marriage appear to be something that is valued and respected? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss setting. What is the role/importance of setting in the novel, and how is it displayed?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)