|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year does Nathan recall a trip to Israel?
2. Where does Nathan finally find Henry?
3. Where is the location of Henry and Nathan's grandparents and parents heritage?
4. What does Maria sign in exchange for not mentioning her infidelity?
5. What does Maria accuse her ex-husband of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Nathan and Henry discuss after dinner at Lippman's?
2. What does Nathan believe to be the reasons for Henry's death?
3. Why does Henry leave town? Where does he go?
4. Discuss Nathan's visit to Israel in 1960.
5. Discuss the eulogy Carol gives at Henry's funeral.
6. Who is Henry Zuckerman? What is he diagnosed with?
7. What is Henry's behavior when he goes on a walk with Nathan?
8. Discuss Nathan's encounter with the woman with an American accent.
9. What happens to Henry eight months after his bypass surgery?
10. Discuss Henry's love life and who is involved.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religious differences are heavily shown in the novel. How is this shown? What is the significance of this in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the value of marriage in the novel. Does marriage appear to be something that is valued and respected? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Surgery is a strong foil in the story. How does surgery prove to be a foil, and what are the consequences of this foil?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)