|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes Nathan to his sleeping quarters after having dinner at Lippman's?
2. Who delivers the eulogy at Henry's funeral?
(d) Henry's daughter.
3. Shuki is worried about Nathan meeting _________________.
4. What side effect does Henry's medicine produce?
(a) Low blood sugar.
(c) Heart palpitations.
(d) High blood sugar.
5. Who asks Nathan if he has any frame of reference besides New Jersey?
6. Nathan says he knows the Hebrew words for _________________.
(a) Yes and no.
(b) Hello and goodbye.
(c) Boy and girl.
(d) Hungry and thirsty.
7. What does Nathan believe to look "unholy"?
(a) The Jewish sinogauge.
(b) The Wailing Wall.
(c) Shuki's home.
(d) The Jewish community.
8. What does Nathan tell Henry he is becoming?
(a) An unruly Jew.
(b) A fanatical Jew.
(c) A stubborn Jew.
(d) A decadent Jew.
9. Who is Maria?
(a) Henry's sister.
(b) Henry's neighbor.
(c) Henry's daughter.
(d) Henry's mistress.
10. Why is Maria worried about Nathan living in England?
(a) She feels Nathan will become too attached to her.
(b) She feels Nathan's writing will suffer.
(c) She feels Nathan will leave her.
(d) She feels Nathan will suffocate her.
11. What type of woman does Maria worry she is?
(a) Too insensitive.
(b) Too ugly.
(c) Too fat.
(d) Too ordinary.
12. Whom does Nathan have lunch with during his first visit to Israel?
(a) Mr. Elchanan.
(b) Shuki and Mr. Elchanan.
(c) The prime minister.
13. What year does Nathan recall a trip to Israel?
14. What does Henry find surprising about Maria?
(a) Maria is German.
(b) Maria celebrate Hanukah.
(c) Maria is Jewish.
(d) Maria celebrates Christmas.
15. What does Maria judge herself against?
(a) Celebrities in magazines.
(b) Nathan's ex-wives.
(c) Nathan's fiction.
(d) Nathan's mistresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of Nathan's Jewish memories?
2. Whose argument at a dinner party is considered out of character?
3. What does Nathan tell Shuki is his reason for being in Israel?
4. Who asks Nathan to check on Henry in Israel?
5. Who says their life in New Jersey was pointless and misdirected?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)