Part 1 Basel, pages 3-13
• The story begins with the story of Henry Zuckerman.
• Henry is diagnosed with a heart problem. His medication causes side effects, including impotence.
• Henry is unable to have sex with his wife or his mistress due to the medication he is taking.
• Henry's impotence causes him to become depressed. He wants to consider surgery as an option, but the doctor advices against it because of the dangers.
• Henry tries to contact Nathan, his brother, but Henry continues to back out.
• Nathan is introduced as a successful writer who has revealed some family secrets in one of his books. This causes the poor relationship between him and Henry.
• Henry becomes more depressed, and he wonders if the cause for his stress and heart condition is because he had to give up his affair with a Swiss woman named Maria.
Part 2 Basel, pages 13-49
• Nathan tries...
This section contains 1,774 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)