|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Amendment 14, Section 4 (1868) stipulates the U.S. would pay all its lawful debts, but what could neither the U.S. nor any state pay for?
(a) U.S. military pensions.
(b) .S. bounties earned in the Civil War.
(c) Emancipated slaves.
(d) U.S. debts incurred in the Civil War.
2. Amendment 14, Section 2 (1868) states that if any state takes away the right to vote from individuals meeting which of the following requirements, the number of representatives for that state may be reduced in proportion to those persons not allowed to vote?
(a) 18 years old, U.S. citizens, not convicted.
(b) 21 years old, U.S. citizens, not convicted.
(c) 18 years old, U.S. residents, not convicted.
(d) 21 years old, U.S. residents, not convicted.
3. Which freedom is addressed in Amendment 1?
(a) Citizens must only provide room, military provides food.
(b) Congress is prohibited from restricting freedom of the press.
(c) No one must supply room and board to soldiers except in wartime.
(d) No one must supply room and board to soldiers except in peacetime.
4. Amendment 15, Section 1 (1870) stipulates the right of U.S. citizens to vote cannot be taken away for which of the following reasons?
(a) Race, color, or sex.
(b) Race, color, previous servitude.
(c) Race, creed, previous servitude.
(d) Color, creed, previous servitude.
5. "Death, as a punishment for a crime, is not considered cruel or unusual as long as " what?
(a) "There is no long physical suffering involved".
(b) "Death, rape, or serious bodily harm isinvolved in the crime".
(c) "Treason, death, or serious bodily harm is involved in the crime".
(d) "Treason, death, rape, or serious bodily harm is involved in the crime".
6. What does to speak or write in favor of mean?
7. Amendment 17 (1913) specifies the Senate is composed of how many members?
(a) 1 senator from each state.
(b) Based on population of respective state.
(c) 1 senator for every 5 representatives in House, minimum of 2.
(d) 2 senators from each sate.
8. What does Amendment 12 (1804) also address the importance of?
(a) Electoral vote.
(b) Secret ballot.
(c) Congressional vote.
(d) Free vote.
9. Amendment 13, Section 1 (1865) outlaws slavery and involuntary servitude with what exception?
(a) Punishment for criminal convictions.
(b) Service performed under draft for civil service in time of emergency.
(c) Service performed under military draft.
(d) Service performed under military draft in time of war.
10. Amendment 20, Section 1 (1933) stipulates the terms of the President and the Vice President end at noon on which dates of the year such terms end respectively?
(a) January 20, January 3.
(b) January 3 for both.
(c) January 20 for both.
(d) January 3, January 20.
11. No citizen shall be forced to supply room and board to soldiers except in the time of war, and even then it is only acceptable when what?
(a) Congress passes a law to this effect.
(b) Supreme Court approves.
(c) Congress has declared war by majority rule.
(d) States pass a law to this effect.
12. Amendment 18, Section 3 (1919) provided the states a period of how long to ratify this amendment, after that time it could not have been adopted?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 3 years.
13. The amount of money put up by arrested individuals to ensure their return at the time of their trial is generally set how?
(a) The state in which the crime occurs.
(b) Mood of the judge at the time.
(c) According to the ability of the accused to pay.
(d) According to the seriousness of the crime.
14. "Room and board" means what?
(a) Lodging and food.
(b) Bed and bath.
(c) Lodging and ale.
(d) Bath and shelter.
15. A citizen may not be unlawfully searched nor seizure of his person or personal property made without a written court order obtained with what?
(a) Notary stamp, signature.
(b) Court clerk signature.
(c) Notary stamp.
(d) Good cause.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a written court order allowing the arrest, search, and seizure of certain persons or certain property?
2. Amendment 14, Section 1 (1868) stipulates no state can make laws that do what to citizens of the U.S.?
3. Amendment 17 (1913) stipulates that to vote for the senators from his state, a person must meet what qualifications?
4. Amendment 14, Section 1 (1868) stipulates no state may deny any person, under its government, what?
5. Where, in accordance with Amendment 23 (1961) and as Congress directs, may electors be appointed for President and Vice President as if it were a state?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)