|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cullop states the U.S. has a "government of the people, by the people, for the people," whom is he quoting?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
2. The Constitution was ratified by what consent?
3. Today the Constitution is separated into how many parts?
4. What is one check on the Supreme Court held by the Congress?
(a) May override Supreme Court decisions by 51% vote of both houses.
(b) Congress may withhold consent to treaties approved by Supreme Court.
(c) Senate may refuse to give consent to a Supreme Court appointment.
(d) Congress may refuse to give consent to a Supreme Court appointment.
5. What do the states that make up the U.S. constitute?
(a) A symposium.
(b) A community.
(c) A federation.
(d) A confederation.
6. What form of government is defined as representative?
7. Together the group in Philadelphia constructed the Constitution requiring a federal government comprised of which three branches?
(a) Democratic, Republican, and Independent.
(b) Democratic, Republican, and Whig.
(c) President, Senate, and House of Representatives.
(d) Executive, legislative, and judicial.
8. Each house of Congress keeps a journal of what it does day to day, and each morning Congress is in session these are published where?
(a) "Washington Post".
(b) "Congressional Record".
(c) "Legislative Journal".
(d) "Congressional Journal".
9. In what year were the Articles of Confederation finally ratified?
10. Section 10 of Article I covers power that are denied to whom?
(c) Unincorporated territory.
11. What is one check on the Supreme Court held by the President?
(a) May impeach Supreme Court justices.
(b) Appoints Supreme Court justices with approval of Congress.
(c) Appoints Supreme Court justices for 10-year terms.
(d) Appoints Supreme Court justices.
12. What is one check on the Congress held by the Supreme Court?
(a) May declare laws Congress passes and President signs, unconstitutional.
(b) May call special sessions of Congress.
(c) May veto bills of Congress.
(d) May veto bills of Congress.
13. The first major document of the U.S. government was the Declaration of Independence which was signed in what year?
14. Cullop asserts which term for American government is correct?
(a) Democratic confederation.
(b) Republican democracy.
(c) Independent republic.
(d) Democratic republic.
15. All revenue bills must originate where?
(b) House of Representatives.
(c) Joint caucus of both houses.
(d) Committee of members from both houses, Internal Revenue Service.
Short Answer Questions
1. The President has the power to appoint ambassadors with the approval of what group?
2. What is one check on the President held by the Congress?
3. What type of government does the U.S. have?
4. The Articles of Confederation was not the best plan for a number of reasons and fell by the wayside when?
5. What is known as congressional immunity protects all members from being arrested while attending a session of their house, or while going to or from it, except for what?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)