|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Urizen is where?
(a) In the dark fiery regions.
(b) In a Void.
(c) In heaven.
(d) In his home.
2. This set of writings is listed in the Complete Poetry & Prose of William Blake under Roman numeral ____.
3. What does Blake explain during the catalog?
(a) He is a poet.
(b) He loves clothes.
(c) He is a painter of watercolors.
(d) He enjoys using various tools.
4. This is amended, thematically, shortly thereafter with, "Thus Urizen spoke collected himself in awful pride / space / Art though visionary of Jesus the soft delusion of Eternity / Lo I am __________________________________." (p. 307).
(a) God the terrible destroyer and not the Savior.
(b) God the Father and not the destroyer.
(c) Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
(d) God the Almighty and the Father of our Savior, Lord Jesus Christ.
5. The first argument claims what?
(a) The world as we know it does not exist.
(b) The sensory world is a fantasy.
(c) The sensory world is the real one.
(d) The real world is a fantasy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unlike the others, ___________________ exhibits entire poetic stanzas designed to accompany visual art.
2. The poems include one titled ____________.
3. Their relation to the mystical and the divine also sets them apart from what in their form?
4. How are the poems labeled in their sequence?
5. The poem dedicated to Autumn has how many line stanzas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Urizen descends? What might this represent?
2. Where is this theme handled? Give an example to support your response.
3. What does Blake say about marriage in this section? Give an example from the text to support your response.
4. Describe the poems in this section up to the two called Song.
5. Describe the poems called "nights."
6. To what is this portion devoted? Describe this portion.
7. Describe the poems that discuss either gods or goddesses.
8. What is one kind of painting Blake created?
9. What does the author plant in the verses of the second page?
10. Describe the earlier set of etchings.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)