|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Cleon outbid for support at the Boule?
(a) The sausage seller promises free food to the council.
(b) Cleon is not outbid.
(c) The sausage seller threatens the council.
(d) The merchant goes on strike.
2. In Peace, after much effort by the chorus, who comes out of the unblocked entrance?
(a) Mayfair alone.
(b) Harvesthome alone.
(c) Peace, Harvesthome and Mayfair.
(d) Peace alone.
3. What does Dicaeopolis agree to?
(a) To enlist in Athens' army.
(b) To go back to Sparta.
(c) To talk to the assembly to help lower taxes.
(d) To put his head on the chopping block while he makes his case to the crowd.
4. How successful is Dicaeopolis' argument to the crowd?
(a) No one is convinced.
(b) Everyone is convinced.
(c) Women are convinced and men are not.
(d) Half of the crowd is convinced and the other half is not.
5. What are Sosias and Xanthias doing at the start of The Wasps?
(a) Keeping watch over their master Bdelycleon's house.
(b) Writing a play.
(d) Playing cards.
6. Why does Dicaeopolis go to see the playwright?
(a) To help him write a play.
(b) To have him write a speech.
(c) To go hunting with him.
(d) To borrow the beggar costume.
7. How does Bdelycleon propose to settle the dispute between him and the Wasps concerning his father?
(a) To have a debate.
(b) To allow his father back in court.
(c) To write a play.
(d) To toss a coin.
8. What does the teacher eventually decide about Strepsiades?
(a) Strepsiades has learned everything he could.
(b) Strepsiades cannot be taught.
(c) Strepsiades can become the master.
(d) Strepsiades is too fat.
9. In the Clouds, where does Socrates go when he needs to think?
(a) Upside down.
(b) In a basket suspended from the ceiling.
(c) In a closet.
(d) In his bed.
10. When Cleon and the sausage merchant are off stage, who is praised in the first part of the speech by the chorus?
(a) Athens' merchant.
(b) Great men of the past.
(d) Great men of the future.
11. What is the relationship between Strepsiades and Pheidippides?
(a) Two merchant.
(b) Two generals.
(c) Father and son.
(d) Two friends.
12. What does Dicaeopolis do after the closing of the assembly?
(a) He meets a man named Amphitheus.
(b) He meets Dionysus.
(c) He goes to the Oracle.
(d) He goes to Sparta.
13. What does one of the gods who remained in heaven plan on doing to the Greek cities?
(a) To bring peace to the land.
(b) To create a tsunami.
(c) To destroy them with mortar.
(d) To unleash the Titans on the Greek cities.
14. In the Knights, what do the slaves tell the audience?
(a) Everyone is afraid of Cleon.
(b) Cleon is a Spartan.
(c) Cleon is being emancipated.
(d) Everyone loves Cleon.
15. What proposal does Amphitheus make to Dicaeopolis?
(a) To help him find a wife.
(b) To help him flee to Sparta.
(c) To help him defeat Sparta.
(d) To broker a private peace deal between Athens and Sparta.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being tried in the makeshift court Bdelycleon in his house at the end of The Wasps?
2. Who is specifically targeted in Bdelycleon's counter-argument?
3. What became of Pheidippides?
4. Upon his arrival at the think-shop, how is Strepsiades greeted?
5. What are Demosthenes and Nicias doing the night of the play?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)