|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two slaves collecting for their master's beetle at the start of Peace?
2. When Cleon and the sausage merchant are off stage, who is praised in the first part of the speech by the chorus?
(b) Great men of the future.
(c) Great men of the past.
(d) Athens' merchant.
3. What is the relationship between Strepsiades and Pheidippides?
(a) Father and son.
(b) Two friends.
(c) Two generals.
(d) Two merchant.
4. At the beginning of Peace, what is the purpose of the master's beetle?
(a) To bring their master to the gods.
(b) To destroy Sparta.
(c) To clean the streets of Athens.
(d) To act as a sewage system.
5. How does Bdelycleon counter his father's arguments?
(a) He says that judges have too much power and the courts should be disbanded.
(b) He says that the people attending the courts are too old.
(c) He says that defendants have too much power over judges.
(d) He says politicians are the ones with real power and use the court for personal gain.
6. How is Cleon outbid for support at the Boule?
(a) The sausage seller promises free food to the council.
(b) The sausage seller threatens the council.
(c) The merchant goes on strike.
(d) Cleon is not outbid.
7. How successful is Dicaeopolis' argument to the crowd?
(a) No one is convinced.
(b) Everyone is convinced.
(c) Half of the crowd is convinced and the other half is not.
(d) Women are convinced and men are not.
8. Who does Amphitheus take hostage?
(a) A woman.
(b) A child.
(c) A bag of coal.
(d) A man.
9. In Peace, why is War leaving heaven after his servant returns empty handed from earth?
(a) He needs to find new pestle.
(b) He wants more salad.
(c) He needs to go find the other gods.
(d) He wants to renounce his godhood.
10. What does Pheidippides predict Strepsiades will do after Pheidippides finishes his training at Socrates' School?
(a) Strepsiades will soon create his own school.
(b) Strepsiades will soon die.
(c) Strepsiades will soon be out of debt.
(d) Strepsiades will soon create more debt.
11. What are Demosthenes and Nicias doing the night of the play?
(a) Talking military tactics.
(b) Playing cards.
(c) They are sleeping.
(d) Getting drunk and stealing wine.
12. When Cleon and the sausage merchant are off stage, who is praised in the second part of the speech by the chorus?
13. What does peace and Hermes give Trygaeus to thank him for liberating Peace?
(a) Harvesthome as a slave.
(b) Harvesthome as his wife.
(c) Mayfair as his wife.
(d) Another giant beetle.
14. Who foiled Philocleon's plan?
15. In the Clouds, where does Socrates go when he needs to think?
(a) In a closet.
(b) In a basket suspended from the ceiling.
(c) Upside down.
(d) In his bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the teacher ask for to replace Strepsiades?
2. After realizing he helped create a monster, what does Strepsiades do at the end of The Clouds?
3. What proposal does Amphitheus make to Dicaeopolis?
4. How is Cleon's rival able to win?
5. Who are the real gods according to the teacher at the think-shop?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)