|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Cardinal seek to find in this establishment when he walks in the door?
2. Father Malik tells the Cardinal that the _________ are responsible for the attempt on his life.
3. Cardinal Bem wants to prevent __________ amongst his people for things they do not actually understand.
4. How many other people are there to help the Cardinal out with his everyday needs?
5. The Major talks to the Cardinal about the __________, or the bad popes he used to hear of when he was younger.
Short Essay Questions
1. What religious celebrations are going to be happening during the time when the Archbishop wants to give his address?
2. Who was hurt in the accident that the Cardinal and Joseph were involved in?
3. What do Father Prisbek and Cardinal Bem decide to do after they have eaten their lunch?
4. Why does Cardinal Bem find it suspicious that people are there to take care of him on his arrival?
5. What does Cardinal Bem learn from Father Ley when he contacts him in a discreet way?
6. What does the Archbishop do when the Cardinal calls him and tells him that he can not give that speech as planned?
7. What happens that causes the Cardinal to objection to the actions, even though it seems he has no choice?
8. What does the speech the Archbishop wants to give seem to be trying to do to the listeners?
9. What does Cardinal Bem see in the church he visits which makes him realize that the Catholics really are the ones trying to kill him?
10. What leads the Cardinal to continue being suspicious of Father Prisbek and his true intentions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cardinal is taken hostage under false pretenses in order to keep him from stopping the speech from the Archbishop.
Part 1: Why do you think the Cardinal is not told of his captivity?
Part 2: Why do you think the Cardinal doesn't try to escape when he sees the cars are not the same as the Security Police usually drive?
Part 3: Do you think you would realized something was not right with the situation the Cardinal was in? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Cardinal decides that he wants to escape, so he does, going against the authorities who have him in the farm.
Part 1: Why do you think the Cardinal decides he needs to escape?
Part 2: Why do you think the Cardinal decides to just put his life into God's hands?
Part 3: Do you think the Cardinal should have tried to escape on his own? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of power is one which is explored in great detail in this novel. Power is what everyone wants, but it seems that no one can share it.
Part 1: Why is power something of importance to those in government?
Part 2: Why is power something of importance to those in the church?
Part 3: Can the church and the government share power? Why or why not?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)