|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Father Prisbek notes that Lork was ___________ out of the country.
2. Who believes they can dissuade the people from doing things which might cause harm to themselves or others?
3. The Cardinal thinks all _________ see everything through a distorted mirror.
4. In the end, the Archbishop _________ the authority of the Cardinal and to the order the Cardinal gives.
5. Where does the Cardinal return after his injuries have been bandaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father Malik share with the Cardinal upon his return to the residence after the accident?
2. What do Father Prisbek and Cardinal Bem decide to do after they have eaten their lunch?
3. What is Father Prisbek's reaction to the Cardinal's suggestion that they make a run for it?
4. What is confusing to the Cardinal about the transportation that the Security Police use to escort him away?
5. What does Father Prisbeck reveal to the Cardinal when the Cardinal arrives at the school?
6. What are two of the topics the men discuss while they are all eating lunch in the kitchen?
7. What happens when the men begin to discuss the author and what happened to the author after his success?
8. What happens when Cardinal Bem goes to the train station in order to meet with Father Ley?
9. Why does Cardinal Bem find it suspicious that people are there to take care of him on his arrival?
10. What was the story begin the favorite local author which is discussed by the men who are eating in the kitchen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cardinal has to trust people within the story, even when his trust has been shattered again and again.
Part 1: Why does the Cardinal have to trust people in the story?
Part 2: Why do you think the Cardinal is willing to trust so many people he meets?
Part 3: How would the Cardinal's actions have changed if he decided not to trust anyone?
Essay Topic 2
The colonel informs the Cardinal that the people think the Cardinal has turned his back on the church.
Part 1: Why do you think the colonel tells the Cardinal this bit of information?
Part 2: Do you think you would believe that a religious leader would side with the government before his church or temple? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the colonel's statement has any validity? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It seems that fanatics are people who are willing to do anything for what they believe in.
Part 1: Do you think you could ever become a fanatic? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think certain people are drawn to the life of fanaticism?
Part 3: Do you think someone can ever stop being a fanatic? Why or why not?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)