|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aroma brought back memories of being a young and penniless seminarian?
2. What does the Cardinal put into his pocket in order to avoid being recognized for who he is?
3. The clatter of __________ indicated that at least two people were working on the meal to be served.
4. Who told the Cardinal that young men and girls were often recruited by the Security Police to loiter?
5. What was the language of the magazine the woman was reading, a language that she did not understand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the colonel reveal to the Cardinal about the attempt that was made on his life?
2. What does Cardinal Bem see in the church he visits which makes him realize that the Catholics really are the ones trying to kill him?
3. What do Father Prisbek and Cardinal Bem decide to do after they have eaten their lunch?
4. What are two of the topics the men discuss while they are all eating lunch in the kitchen?
5. Why is Cardinal Bem not surprised to hear that the Security Police are denying they have the Cardinal in custody?
6. What happens when the Cardinal finally makes it to a road after he tries to escape?
7. What was the story begin the favorite local author which is discussed by the men who are eating in the kitchen?
8. What happens when Cardinal Bem goes to the train station in order to meet with Father Ley?
9. What happens to the Cardinal when the car loses control on the road and crashes into another car?
10. What does Cardinal Bem begin to think about Father Prisbek and his loyalty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of a Catholic terrorist organization is one that many people may not have realized could exist.
Part 1: How do you think a Catholic reconciles the action of killing with the commandment not to kill?
Part 2: Why do you think a religious person could be driven to become a terrorist?
Part 3: Why do you think that the Catholics are the ones who are terrorists rather than the Episcopalians?
Essay Topic 2
While all of the bishops might be a part of the church, they are not loyal to the Cardinal and his ideas.
Part 1: Why do you think the bishops decide not to be loyal to the Cardinal?
Part 2: Do you think the Cardinal assumes everyone will be loyal? Why or why not?
Part 3: Is loyalty ever something which can just be assumed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Religion and government seem to be connected within this story, each one working with or fighting against the other at various times.
Part 1: Do you think a government should do certain things based on religious beliefs? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think religion should have the power to influence government? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think religion influences government today? Why or why not?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)