|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Cardinal buy with the change he had left after buying his bus ticket to go to a new city?
(a) A piece of meat.
(b) A sausage.
(d) A roll.
2. "On the floor of the forest are millions of ________. It takes only a spark to set them ablaze."
(b) Pine needles.
(d) Pine cones.
3. What kind of dog greeted the Cardinal when the Cardinal goes in to see the Prime Minister?
(a) Golden retriever.
(c) Pitt bull.
4. What does the Cardinal ask the General to do upon their introductions to each other?
(a) Stop smoking.
(b) Pray for him.
(c) Remove Janik's chains.
(d) Let him go.
5. The Cardinal and Janik are left in a cell for the night as they can't call the _____________ until the morning.
6. The Cardinal points out that in the days of _________ Rostropov and his friends, the country was run only by them.
7. What does the Cardinal want the Prime Minister to delay until he can meet with his bishops?
(a) Their one-on-one meeting.
(b) His speech about taxes.
(c) The execution of the Archbishop.
(d) The announcement of the Cardinal's return.
8. The Cardinal is told that if he just walks down toward the river, he can ______________.
(a) Catch a bus.
(b) Sleep in a warm bed.
(c) Get to the border.
(d) Find a church.
9. The Cardinal notes that he must remind himself that this _______ is now less pervasive than in those days they speak of with false nostalgia.
(b) Homeless problem.
10. Who officiated the requiem mass for Joseph in the cathedral when the Cardinal was away?
(a) Monsignor Bertela.
(b) Monsignor Ley.
(c) Monsignor Jelen.
(d) Monsigor Krasnoy.
11. The Poniatov Bridge was the only bridge the ____________ had failed to destroy when they fled the ruined city.
12. Janik was the new driver and he wears a leather _____________ cap of the WWI vintage, according to the story.
13. The Security Police surrounded the Cardinal's car as though they were an official ______________.
(a) Military general.
(b) Security threat.
(c) Prisoner of war.
14. The Cardinal was then taken the the old Borodin ______, not to a factory as the Cardinal had assumed he was taken.
15. Where does the Cardinal believe Father Ley is waiting for him so that they can talk?
(a) His residence.
(c) A school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reading Krasnoy's speech, it seems that he did know about the ______________ before it took place.
2. Where did Frederic Zaron and the Cardinal meet when they discussed the arrangements for the Father Ley visit?
3. The Cardinal tells Father Malik he believes people are using religion now as a sort of _____________.
4. What kind of ceremony had the Cardinal last presided over at the church where he finds himself at this point?
5. What is the new name on the identification card for Cardinal Bem? Stanislaus ____________.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)