|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lina and Doon plan to tell everyone they've found a way out of Ember?
2. What is Doon thinking about when he goes to check the door in the tunnel?
3. Why does the writer of the last message say she is writing down what happens?
4. What does the writer say she and her "mate" have named their two children?
5. What happens the moment Lina steps onto the roof?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem Doon and Lina see with using the boat to go downstream and what do they discover that eliminates that problem?
2. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
3. What is the message from the notice on the wall at the beginning of the path?
4. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the candles work?
5. What does Doon consider telling his father when his father asks if Doon is worried about something?
6. What are the two choices Doon believes he has if Lina doesn't show up at the entrance to the Pipeworks as planned and which does he believe is the better of the two?
7. How do Doon and Lina decide what to do with the information that the mayor is stealing?
8. How do Doon and Lina learn the guards are planning to arrest them for spreading vicious rumors?
9. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
10. Describe what and who Doon finds when he opens the door in the tunnel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ember come into being? Why is it built? What are the Builders' plans for the city? How do those plans go wrong?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Describe school in Ember. Compare that to your own school.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)