|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the letter on the stone that marks the ledge on the riverbank?
2. Why does Doon say they are telling the chief guard about the mayor's thefts?
3. Why does the writer of the last message say she is writing down what happens?
4. Who signed the notice Doon finds?
5. What do Doon and Lina do for most of the day after reading the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things Doon packs to take on the journey out of Ember and what are some of the things he leaves behind?
2. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
3. Describe the room Mrs. Murdo says Lina can share with Poppy.
4. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the candles work?
5. What is the message from the notice on the wall at the beginning of the path?
6. How do Doon and Lina find the path that leads up from the river?
7. How does Lina get Poppy down to the ledge where the boats are and why is she certain she can make it?
8. What, according to the writer of the book found by Poppy, happened on Friday?
9. What are some of the things that frighten Lina as they begin their trip down the river?
10. Describe what and who Doon finds when he opens the door in the tunnel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the first people inhabit Ember. How do Doon and Lina learn the details of this?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
Essay Topic 3
What happens each time the lights go off in the city of Ember? What happens when the lights go off on the day Lina is buying the pencils? What does Lina fear will someday happen when the lights go off? Why do the lights go off?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)