|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Clary points out when she reaches Lina's room?
2. What does the sign say Lina and Doon have done wrong?
3. Why is everyone let off work at noon in the beginning of Chapter 14?
4. Who is second-in-command after the mayor?
5. What does Mrs. Murdo have cooked for dinner when Lina gets home with the food from Lizzie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Doon and Lina get the boat into the water and what happens as they are performing this task?
2. What is the message from the notice on the wall at the beginning of the path?
3. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
4. What are some of the things that frighten Lina as they begin their trip down the river?
5. What, according to the writer of the book found by Poppy, happened on Friday?
6. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the candles work?
7. What does Lina think about with regard to being "alone in the world" on her first day back at work after her Granny's death/
8. Describe the room Mrs. Murdo says Lina can share with Poppy.
9. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
10. What does Clary say about everyone having darkness inside them and why does Lina know Clary is right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe an average day for the residents of Ember. Use information from the book, such as the kinds of messages Lina delivers, as clues to the kinds of lives the people live. `
Essay Topic 2
Compare Lina and Doon. How are they similar? How are they different? How does each impact the other?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main sources of food for the people of Ember? How has that changed over the years? Why has it changed?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)