|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina think the columns of rocks resemble?
2. Why is everyone let off work at noon in the beginning of Chapter 14?
3. What does Lina say is her favorite day of the year?
4. How long does Lina think they've been in the boat when they come to the final pool?
5. How does Doon find the notice on the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clary say about everyone having darkness inside them and why does Lina know Clary is right?
2. What is the message from the notice on the wall at the beginning of the path?
3. How do Doon and Lina get word to the people of Ember how to leave the city?
4. How do Doon and Lina get the boat into the water and what happens as they are performing this task?
5. What is the problem Doon and Lina see with using the boat to go downstream and what do they discover that eliminates that problem?
6. How do Doon and Lina find the path that leads up from the river?
7. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
8. How does Lina get away from the mayor and the guards once she's in the mayor's office?
9. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
10. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the matches work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the problems in Ember the year Doon and Lina turn twelve? How are these problems being addressed? What are the reactions of the people to these problems?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ember. What are some important aspects of the city?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)