|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the writer say is the purpose of the plan to create Ember?
2. What does Clary say she remembers about the mayor when he was "first starting out?"
3. Which of the items does Lina say she'll accept from Lizzie and Looper?
4. What does Poppy find and almost chew on?
5. What is in each of the boats Doon and Lina find in the second room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Doon and Lina get word to the people of Ember how to leave the city?
2. What are the two choices Doon believes he has if Lina doesn't show up at the entrance to the Pipeworks as planned and which does he believe is the better of the two?
3. How do Doon and Lina learn the guards are planning to arrest them for spreading vicious rumors?
4. How do Doon and Lina decide what to do with the information that the mayor is stealing?
5. Describe what and who Doon finds when he opens the door in the tunnel.
6. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
7. What do Doon and Lina discover is the sixth step of the instructions?
8. How does Lina get away from the mayor and the guards once she's in the mayor's office?
9. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
10. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Mayor Cole's reaction when Doon voices his belief that the city is in real trouble? Describe Mayor Cole's speech later in the main square. Is Mayor Cole genuinely doing his best for the city? Are Mayor Cole's actions honorable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Lina comes to have the instructions for leaving Ember. How does she finally figure out what the instructions mean? How might the lives of the people of Ember have been different if the mayors had completed their duties with regard to handing down the box?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the problems in Ember the year Doon and Lina turn twelve? How are these problems being addressed? What are the reactions of the people to these problems?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)