|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Doon go after he and Lina leave the chief guard?
2. What does Lina realize she has in her pocket?
3. What does Doon say they have to do about the mayor's secret room?
4. How old does the writer say all the adults are who are headed to Ember?
5. What does Lina use Doon's rope for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Doon and Lina find the path that leads up from the river?
2. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the matches work?
3. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
4. Why does the writer say the adults have to cut all ties with their families and take no books or photographs, and why are there so many babies?
5. Describe the room Mrs. Murdo says Lina can share with Poppy.
6. What is the problem Doon and Lina see with using the boat to go downstream and what do they discover that eliminates that problem?
7. What does Clary say about everyone having darkness inside them and why does Lina know Clary is right?
8. What, according to the writer of the book found by Poppy, happened on Friday?
9. What does Lina say about the reason she brought Poppy along?
10. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the attitudes about the people of Ember with regard to their need to reuse and recycle items? What has prompted this attitude? Is there something to be learned from this attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Describe school in Ember. Compare that to your own school.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ember. What are some important aspects of the city?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)