|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the items does Lina say she'll accept from Lizzie and Looper?
2. What does Doon say they have to do about the mayor's secret room?
3. Why does Lina say she isn't afraid?
4. What are the two things the writer of the last message say she wasn't allowed to bring?
5. What does Doon do with the candles remaining?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
2. How does Lina get Poppy down to the ledge where the boats are and why is she certain she can make it?
3. What are some of the things that frighten Lina as they begin their trip down the river?
4. What is the message from the notice on the wall at the beginning of the path?
5. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
6. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
7. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the matches work?
8. What happens that allows Lina to discover what Lizzie has in her sack and what are some of the canned items in the sack?
9. How do Doon and Lina learn the guards are planning to arrest them for spreading vicious rumors?
10. Describe Lina's arrest and her encounter with the mayor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Describe school in Ember. Compare that to your own school.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least five inhabitants of Ember. How are each important to the city? How are each important to other inhabitants?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)