|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Doon and Lina discover the fruit that's good to eat?
2. Who signed the notice Doon finds?
3. Who was at the entrance to the Pipeworks when Doon reaches it?
4. What does Doon believe is causing the sound they can hear once they are out of the tunnel?
5. Where do the children put the lighted candles once the boat slows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things Doon packs to take on the journey out of Ember and what are some of the things he leaves behind?
2. How do Doon and Lina get the boat into the water and what happens as they are performing this task?
3. How does Lina get Poppy down to the ledge where the boats are and why is she certain she can make it?
4. How do Doon and Lina decide what to do with the information that the mayor is stealing?
5. Why does the writer say the adults have to cut all ties with their families and take no books or photographs, and why are there so many babies?
6. Describe the room Mrs. Murdo says Lina can share with Poppy.
7. What does Clary say about everyone having darkness inside them and why does Lina know Clary is right?
8. What does the writer say is the reason for building Ember?
9. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
10. What is the problem Doon and Lina see with using the boat to go downstream and what do they discover that eliminates that problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least five inhabitants of Ember. How are each important to the city? How are each important to other inhabitants?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ember come into being? Why is it built? What are the Builders' plans for the city? How do those plans go wrong?
Essay Topic 3
What happens each time the lights go off in the city of Ember? What happens when the lights go off on the day Lina is buying the pencils? What does Lina fear will someday happen when the lights go off? Why do the lights go off?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)