|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who signed the notice Doon finds?
2. What happens while the people are singing "Song of the Darkness"?
3. Where does Doon leave the note for his father?
4. Who is the person Lina and Doon decide to leave a message for about leaving Ember?
5. How does Doon find the notice on the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clary say the instructions are "hopeful"?
2. What are the two choices Doon believes he has if Lina doesn't show up at the entrance to the Pipeworks as planned and which does he believe is the better of the two?
3. What does Lina think about with regard to being "alone in the world" on her first day back at work after her Granny's death/
4. How do Doon and Lina decide what to do with the information that the mayor is stealing?
5. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
6. How do Doon and Lina learn the guards are planning to arrest them for spreading vicious rumors?
7. How does Lina get Poppy down to the ledge where the boats are and why is she certain she can make it?
8. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
9. What does Lina say about the reason she brought Poppy along?
10. Describe what and who Doon finds when he opens the door in the tunnel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least five of the jobs in Ember. Which does Lina believe would be important and fun? Which does Doon believe would be important?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Granny and Mrs. Murdo. How are the two women similar? How are they different? What are their roles in the lives of Lina and Poppy?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)