|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to get into the boat once it's in the river?
2. How does Lina spot Doon from her spot on the roof?
3. What does Lizzie say is in her sack?
4. What does Lina realize she has in her pocket?
5. Where do Doon and Lina find the key to the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lina's arrest and her encounter with the mayor.
2. Describe the room Mrs. Murdo says Lina can share with Poppy.
3. What, according to the writer of the book found by Poppy, happened on Friday?
4. What do Doon and Lina discover is the sixth step of the instructions?
5. How do Doon and Lina find the path that leads up from the river?
6. What does Lina say about the reason she brought Poppy along?
7. What is the problem Doon and Lina see with using the boat to go downstream and what do they discover that eliminates that problem?
8. Why does Clary say the instructions are "hopeful"?
9. What are some of the things that frighten Lina as they begin their trip down the river?
10. Why does the writer say the adults have to cut all ties with their families and take no books or photographs, and why are there so many babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Lina comes to have the instructions for leaving Ember. How does she finally figure out what the instructions mean? How might the lives of the people of Ember have been different if the mayors had completed their duties with regard to handing down the box?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ember. What are some important aspects of the city?
Essay Topic 3
What is Mayor Cole's reaction when Doon voices his belief that the city is in real trouble? Describe Mayor Cole's speech later in the main square. Is Mayor Cole genuinely doing his best for the city? Are Mayor Cole's actions honorable? Why or why not?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)