|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two items Doon and Lina find in the boxes that they don't understand?
2. Who is the first to get into the boat once it's in the river?
3. What happens while the people are singing "Song of the Darkness"?
4. What is the first thing Doon says to Lina when he finds her in Chapter 14?
5. Where do the children put the lighted candles once the boat slows?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
2. How does Lina get Poppy down to the ledge where the boats are and why is she certain she can make it?
3. What does the writer say is the reason for building Ember?
4. What does Doon consider telling his father when his father asks if Doon is worried about something?
5. How do Doon and Lina decide what to do with the information that the mayor is stealing?
6. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the matches work?
7. What, according to the writer of the book found by Poppy, happened on Friday?
8. What do Doon and Lina discover is the sixth step of the instructions?
9. What are the two choices Doon believes he has if Lina doesn't show up at the entrance to the Pipeworks as planned and which does he believe is the better of the two?
10. How do Doon and Lina get the boat into the water and what happens as they are performing this task?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens each time the lights go off in the city of Ember? What happens when the lights go off on the day Lina is buying the pencils? What does Lina fear will someday happen when the lights go off? Why do the lights go off?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Granny and Mrs. Murdo. How are the two women similar? How are they different? What are their roles in the lives of Lina and Poppy?
Essay Topic 3
What are the attitudes about the people of Ember with regard to their need to reuse and recycle items? What has prompted this attitude? Is there something to be learned from this attitude?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)