|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Doon tries to write on the lid of one of the boxes?
2. How does Lina spot Doon from her spot on the roof?
3. How do Lina and Doon plan to tell everyone they've found a way out of Ember?
4. Who is the person Lina and Doon decide to leave a message for about leaving Ember?
5. Where does Nammy Proggs tell a guard Doon has gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
2. How do Doon and Lina get word to the people of Ember how to leave the city?
3. Why does Clary say the instructions are "hopeful"?
4. How do Doon and Lina find the path that leads up from the river?
5. What are some of the things Doon packs to take on the journey out of Ember and what are some of the things he leaves behind?
6. How do Doon and Lina get the boat into the water and what happens as they are performing this task?
7. How do Doon and Lina learn the guards are planning to arrest them for spreading vicious rumors?
8. How does Lina get away from the mayor and the guards once she's in the mayor's office?
9. Why does the writer say the adults have to cut all ties with their families and take no books or photographs, and why are there so many babies?
10. What do Doon and Lina discover is the sixth step of the instructions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Lina comes to have the instructions for leaving Ember. How does she finally figure out what the instructions mean? How might the lives of the people of Ember have been different if the mayors had completed their duties with regard to handing down the box?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Assignment Day. How are jobs assigned? What's wrong with this method? What could have been done differently?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)