|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Doon and Lina figure out the large object is a boat?
2. Why is Looper walking more slowly after he's been in the storerooms?
3. Which of the items does Lina say she'll accept from Lizzie and Looper?
4. What does the word "egress" mean, according to Clary?
5. What does Lina say she told Mrs. Murdo when she took Poppy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what and who Doon finds when he opens the door in the tunnel.
2. What does the writer say is the reason for building Ember?
3. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
4. How do Doon and Lina get word to the people of Ember how to leave the city?
5. What does Lina think about with regard to being "alone in the world" on her first day back at work after her Granny's death/
6. How do Doon and Lina get the boat into the water and what happens as they are performing this task?
7. What happens that allows Lina to discover what Lizzie has in her sack and what are some of the canned items in the sack?
8. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the matches work?
9. How does Lina get away from the mayor and the guards once she's in the mayor's office?
10. What is the problem Doon and Lina see with using the boat to go downstream and what do they discover that eliminates that problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least five inhabitants of Ember. How are each important to the city? How are each important to other inhabitants?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)