|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many candles do Doon and Lina use before they reach the end of the underground path?
2. What is the letter on the stone that marks the ledge on the riverbank?
3. What happens the moment Lina steps onto the roof?
4. How do Doon and Lina figure out the large object is a boat?
5. What color was the door Lina and Doon find once they are on the ledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Doon and Lina learn the guards are planning to arrest them for spreading vicious rumors?
2. Why does the writer say the adults have to cut all ties with their families and take no books or photographs, and why are there so many babies?
3. How does Lina get away from the mayor and the guards once she's in the mayor's office?
4. Describe Lina's arrest and her encounter with the mayor.
5. What are the two choices Doon believes he has if Lina doesn't show up at the entrance to the Pipeworks as planned and which does he believe is the better of the two?
6. Where does Lizzie first tell Lina she got the canned items and what does she eventually reveal as the truth?
7. How does Lina get Poppy down to the ledge where the boats are and why is she certain she can make it?
8. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
9. What does Doon consider telling his father when his father asks if Doon is worried about something?
10. Describe what and who Doon finds when he opens the door in the tunnel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the attitudes about the people of Ember with regard to their need to reuse and recycle items? What has prompted this attitude? Is there something to be learned from this attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Assignment Day. How are jobs assigned? What's wrong with this method? What could have been done differently?
Essay Topic 3
Describe school in Ember. Compare that to your own school.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)