|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "egress" mean, according to Clary?
2. Why is Looper walking more slowly after he's been in the storerooms?
3. Why doesn't Lina go into the library?
4. What does Lina tell Poppy they're about to do?
5. Where does Doon keep the book he's written about bugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that frighten Lina as they begin their trip down the river?
2. What are some of the things Doon packs to take on the journey out of Ember and what are some of the things he leaves behind?
3. What is the problem Doon and Lina see with using the boat to go downstream and what do they discover that eliminates that problem?
4. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
5. How do Doon and Lina find the path that leads up from the river?
6. How do Doon and Lina get word to the people of Ember how to leave the city?
7. What happens that allows Lina to discover what Lizzie has in her sack and what are some of the canned items in the sack?
8. What does Lina think about with regard to being "alone in the world" on her first day back at work after her Granny's death/
9. How do Doon and Lina learn the guards are planning to arrest them for spreading vicious rumors?
10. How do Doon and Lina get the boat into the water and what happens as they are performing this task?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least five of the jobs in Ember. Which does Lina believe would be important and fun? Which does Doon believe would be important?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Doon and Lina leave Ember. What are some of the major problems they encounter? How do they overcome them?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)