|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the message Lina delivers to Mayor Cole from Looper?
2. What do the other workers teach Doon about?
3. What is Granny doing when Lina gets home?
4. What is it about the note that sparks Lina's curiosity?
5. Where is Poppy when Lina returns home from work in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
2. What are some of the old words and phrases Doon finds in a book in the library and what does the book say they mean?
3. What does Clary say about everyone having darkness inside them and why does Lina know Clary is right?
4. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
5. Describe the drawing Lina creates on the back of a can label.
6. Why doesn't Doon tell his father he found the way out of Ember?
7. What, according to the writer of the book found by Poppy, happened on Friday?
8. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
9. How do Doon and Lina get word to the people of Ember how to leave the city?
10. What does the writer say is the reason for building Ember?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the attitudes about the people of Ember with regard to their need to reuse and recycle items? What has prompted this attitude? Is there something to be learned from this attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least five of the jobs in Ember. Which does Lina believe would be important and fun? Which does Doon believe would be important?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Granny and Mrs. Murdo. How are the two women similar? How are they different? What are their roles in the lives of Lina and Poppy?
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)