|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the reports does Lizzie say she's never allowed to see?
2. What does Doon give Lina to wear when they go into the Pipeworks?
3. When do Lina and Doon agree to meet to go into the Pipeworks?
4. Who has Poppy when Lina finds her?
5. Who does the chief builder say will keep the instructions for leaving the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the writer say is the reason for building Ember?
2. How do Doon and Lina get word to the people of Ember how to leave the city?
3. What, according to the writer of the book found by Poppy, happened on Friday?
4. What does Doon discover when he goes into the generator room on his first lunch break and why is he disappointed?
5. What does Clary say about everyone having darkness inside them and why does Lina know Clary is right?
6. How do Doon and Lina figure out how the matches work?
7. Describe Lina's arrest and her encounter with the mayor.
8. What is the first sight that meets the children when they emerge from the tunnel?
9. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
10. What is Dr. Tower's first reaction when Lina says her Granny is sick and what does she instruct Lina to do once she's seen Granny?
Essay Topic 1
What do people believe exists outside the lights of Ember? How do people go about trying to explore that region? What are the results?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
Essay Topic 3
How does Ember come into being? Why is it built? What are the Builders' plans for the city? How do those plans go wrong?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)