|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the seventh mayor die of?
2. What is Arlin Froll's job?
3. Where is Granny when Lina gets home from the meeting?
4. What was Lina's father's job before his death?
5. What time does the light come on the morning of Granny's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
2. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
3. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
4. What is Dr. Tower's first reaction when Lina says her Granny is sick and what does she instruct Lina to do once she's seen Granny?
5. What happens when Granny wakes Lina in the middle of the night and what does Lina discover when she wakes the following morning?
6. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
7. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
8. What does Nammy Proggs say to Lina after Lina finds Poppy at Doon's father's store?
9. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
10. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main sources of food for the people of Ember? How has that changed over the years? Why has it changed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Lina comes to have the instructions for leaving Ember. How does she finally figure out what the instructions mean? How might the lives of the people of Ember have been different if the mayors had completed their duties with regard to handing down the box?
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least five of the jobs in Ember. Which does Lina believe would be important and fun? Which does Doon believe would be important?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)