|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Fleery believe the note might be?
2. What is Doon looking for in the "F" section of the library?
3. Who does the chief builder say will keep the instructions for leaving the city?
4. What does Doon believe are his two possible courses of action?
5. Where does Lina say the "door" mentioned in the instructions must lead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
2. What is Clary's job and what does she give Lina on the day they see the man coming back from the Unknown Regions?
3. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
4. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
5. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
6. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
7. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
8. Why does Lina want to be a messenger and why does Doon want to work in the Pipeworks?
9. What are some of the old words and phrases Doon finds in a book in the library and what does the book say they mean?
10. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ember. What are some important aspects of the city?
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least five inhabitants of Ember. How are each important to the city? How are each important to other inhabitants?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)