|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Granny when Lina gets home from the meeting?
2. What does Lina do with the message she writes to the mayor?
3. What is the message Lina carries repeatedly the day after the blackout?
4. What does Doon believe are his two possible courses of action?
5. What does Doon see when he steps through the door marked "main tunnel"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
2. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
3. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
4. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
5. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
6. What does Doon discover when he goes into the generator room on his first lunch break and why is he disappointed?
7. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
8. Why does Lina want to be a messenger and why does Doon want to work in the Pipeworks?
9. Describe the drawing Lina creates on the back of a can label.
10. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ember come into being? Why is it built? What are the Builders' plans for the city? How do those plans go wrong?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the first people inhabit Ember. How do Doon and Lina learn the details of this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe school in Ember. Compare that to your own school.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)