|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina believe the instructions say a person should do in the Pipeworks?
2. How much does the man say he is charging for his colored pencils?
3. How does Lina say she believes the people of Ember can reach the city Lina dreams about?
4. What is Granny doing when Lina gets home?
5. Where did the box with the instructions end up when a mayor died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
2. What is the plan the Builders have for ensuring the people of Ember can find their way out of the city at the correct time?
3. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
4. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
5. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
6. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
7. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
8. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
9. Describe what lies beyond the light from Ember and what people know about that area.
10. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least five inhabitants of Ember. How are each important to the city? How are each important to other inhabitants?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the first people inhabit Ember. How do Doon and Lina learn the details of this?
Essay Topic 3
What happens each time the lights go off in the city of Ember? What happens when the lights go off on the day Lina is buying the pencils? What does Lina fear will someday happen when the lights go off? Why do the lights go off?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)