|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Doon doing when Lina first sees him in the library?
2. What does Doon believe are his two possible courses of action?
3. What do Doon and Lina do once they reach Plummer Square?
4. What does the mayor do to try to make his words heard by the crowd gathered for the meeting?
5. Why does Clary say the guards grab Sadge?
Short Essay Questions
1. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
2. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
3. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
4. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
5. What is Dr. Tower's first reaction when Lina says her Granny is sick and what does she instruct Lina to do once she's seen Granny?
6. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
7. What does Doon believe he's going to be able to do once he's working in the Pipeworks and why does he believe this?
8. What are some of the old words and phrases Doon finds in a book in the library and what does the book say they mean?
9. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
10. Where does Doon go to learn about fire and what are some of the things Doon learns about fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ember come into being? Why is it built? What are the Builders' plans for the city? How do those plans go wrong?
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least five inhabitants of Ember. How are each important to the city? How are each important to other inhabitants?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main sources of food for the people of Ember? How has that changed over the years? Why has it changed?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)