|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina figure out is the work on the document that ends with "orks"?
2. Which of the following is a fact taught by the Book of the City of Ember?
3. What is the first job assigned to a member of Lina and Doon's class?
4. Where is Granny when Lina gets home from the meeting?
5. Who is the teacher overseeing Lina's class on Assignment Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the writer say is the reason for building Ember?
2. What are some of the things Doon packs to take on the journey out of Ember and what are some of the things he leaves behind?
3. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
4. Describe what and who Doon finds when he opens the door in the tunnel.
5. What happens when Granny wakes Lina in the middle of the night and what does Lina discover when she wakes the following morning?
6. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
7. What, according to the writer of the book found by Poppy, happened on Friday?
8. Why does Lina want to be a messenger and why does Doon want to work in the Pipeworks?
9. What are some of the things that frighten Lina as they begin their trip down the river?
10. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main sources of food for the people of Ember? How has that changed over the years? Why has it changed?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)