|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the reports does Lizzie say she's never allowed to see?
2. Who does the chief builder say will keep the instructions for leaving the city?
3. Why does Lina believe the key to the locked door might be in a pan?
4. What is one of the things Lina likes about Doon?
5. What is written at the entrance of the dark tunnel Doon discovers that ends in a locked door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the drawing Lina creates on the back of a can label.
2. What is the plan the Builders have for ensuring the people of Ember can find their way out of the city at the correct time?
3. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
4. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
5. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
6. What does Doon discover when he goes into the generator room on his first lunch break and why is he disappointed?
7. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
8. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
9. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
10. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Ember. What are some important aspects of the city?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least five inhabitants of Ember. How are each important to the city? How are each important to other inhabitants?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)