|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old are the children of Ember when they receive their work assignments?
2. Where does Sadge work?
3. Where is Poppy when Lina returns home from work in Chapter 4?
4. What is Doon looking for in the "F" section of the library?
5. What is the Believer's flute made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
2. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
3. Where does Doon go to learn about fire and what are some of the things Doon learns about fire?
4. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
5. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
6. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
7. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
8. What does Doon believe he's going to be able to do once he's working in the Pipeworks and why does he believe this?
9. What is Dr. Tower's first reaction when Lina says her Granny is sick and what does she instruct Lina to do once she's seen Granny?
10. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least five of the jobs in Ember. Which does Lina believe would be important and fun? Which does Doon believe would be important?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Lina comes to have the instructions for leaving Ember. How does she finally figure out what the instructions mean? How might the lives of the people of Ember have been different if the mayors had completed their duties with regard to handing down the box?
Essay Topic 3
What do people believe exists outside the lights of Ember? How do people go about trying to explore that region? What are the results?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)