|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arlin Froll's job?
2. What is past the trash heaps?
3. Who does Captain Fleery believe will show the people of Ember "the way"?
4. What does Doon see when he steps through the door marked "main tunnel"?
5. What two colored pencils does Lina purchase?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what lies beyond the light from Ember and what people know about that area.
2. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
3. What are some of the old words and phrases Doon finds in a book in the library and what does the book say they mean?
4. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
5. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
6. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
7. Why does Lina want to be a messenger and why does Doon want to work in the Pipeworks?
8. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
9. Describe the pencils Looper has for sale and Lina's reaction to them.
10. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Describe an average day for the residents of Ember. Use information from the book, such as the kinds of messages Lina delivers, as clues to the kinds of lives the people live. `
Essay Topic 3
Describe school in Ember. Compare that to your own school.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)