|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doon see when he steps through the door marked "main tunnel"?
2. What is it about the note that sparks Lina's curiosity?
3. Based on her experience in Ember, what is the color Lina believes the sky to be?
4. What does the old man say when Doon asks how the generator works?
5. What color does the person Lina overhears say he hoped to paint the door of his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
2. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
3. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
4. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
5. What does Doon believe he's going to be able to do once he's working in the Pipeworks and why does he believe this?
6. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
7. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
8. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
9. Describe the pencils Looper has for sale and Lina's reaction to them.
10. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe an average day for the residents of Ember. Use information from the book, such as the kinds of messages Lina delivers, as clues to the kinds of lives the people live. `
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Granny and Mrs. Murdo. How are the two women similar? How are they different? What are their roles in the lives of Lina and Poppy?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)