|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the message Lina carries repeatedly the day after the blackout?
2. What is the first job assigned to a member of Lina and Doon's class?
3. What does Mayor Cole hold in his hand when he arrives in the classroom for Assignment Day?
4. What color does the person Lina overhears say he hoped to paint the door of his house?
5. What is the food most people in Ember eat almost every day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
2. What is the plan the Builders have for ensuring the people of Ember can find their way out of the city at the correct time?
3. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
4. What does Doon discover when he goes into the generator room on his first lunch break and why is he disappointed?
5. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
6. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
7. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
8. What does Nammy Proggs say to Lina after Lina finds Poppy at Doon's father's store?
9. What does Doon believe he's going to be able to do once he's working in the Pipeworks and why does he believe this?
10. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Lina and Doon. How are they similar? How are they different? How does each impact the other?
Essay Topic 2
Describe school in Ember. Compare that to your own school.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ember. What are some important aspects of the city?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)