|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the book Doon finds, what is a "hog"?
2. Which of the following is a fact taught by the Book of the City of Ember?
3. Who does the chief builder say will keep the instructions for leaving the city?
4. Who is Poppy?
5. How does the chef builder intend to arrange for the instructions to be found at the proper time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
2. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
3. What is the plan the Builders have for ensuring the people of Ember can find their way out of the city at the correct time?
4. What is Clary's job and what does she give Lina on the day they see the man coming back from the Unknown Regions?
5. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
6. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
7. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
8. What does Nammy Proggs say to Lina after Lina finds Poppy at Doon's father's store?
9. What does Doon believe he's going to be able to do once he's working in the Pipeworks and why does he believe this?
10. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe school in Ember. Compare that to your own school.
Essay Topic 2
What is Mayor Cole's reaction when Doon voices his belief that the city is in real trouble? Describe Mayor Cole's speech later in the main square. Is Mayor Cole genuinely doing his best for the city? Are Mayor Cole's actions honorable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Granny and Mrs. Murdo. How are the two women similar? How are they different? What are their roles in the lives of Lina and Poppy?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)