|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lina's father's job before his death?
2. What does Doon believe are his two possible courses of action?
3. Who does Captain Fleery believe will show the people of Ember "the way"?
4. Where is Poppy when Lina returns home from work in Chapter 4?
5. What does Doon's father say a person gets when he doesn't control his anger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
2. Why does Lina want to be a messenger and why does Doon want to work in the Pipeworks?
3. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
4. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
5. Describe the drawing Lina creates on the back of a can label.
6. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
7. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
8. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
9. Briefly describe the room Lina shares with Poppy.
10. What does Doon believe he's going to be able to do once he's working in the Pipeworks and why does he believe this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important theme of the book? Why do you consider this theme important? Give at least two examples of the theme.
Essay Topic 2
What are the main sources of food for the people of Ember? How has that changed over the years? Why has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
What are the attitudes about the people of Ember with regard to their need to reuse and recycle items? What has prompted this attitude? Is there something to be learned from this attitude?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)