|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clary say she told Lina to leave when Sadge arrived?
2. How much does the man say he is charging for his colored pencils?
3. What does Captain Fleery believe the note might be?
4. What kind of shop does Lina's grandmother run?
5. How many people had traveled into the Unknown Regions, never to return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
2. What are Granny and Poppy doing when Lina gets home from the town meeting?
3. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
4. What is Clary's job and what does she give Lina on the day they see the man coming back from the Unknown Regions?
5. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
6. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
7. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
8. Describe what lies beyond the light from Ember and what people know about that area.
9. What happens when Granny wakes Lina in the middle of the night and what does Lina discover when she wakes the following morning?
10. Why does Lina decide she can't ask the mayor to come to her house to see the instructions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Lina and Doon. How are they similar? How are they different? How does each impact the other?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the problems in Ember the year Doon and Lina turn twelve? How are these problems being addressed? What are the reactions of the people to these problems?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)