|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Granny when Lina gets home from the meeting?
2. What is Doon's father's job?
3. How many numbered instructions are there on the note?
4. What color is Poppy's jacket?
5. Where does Lina say the "door" mentioned in the instructions must lead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the pencils Looper has for sale and Lina's reaction to them.
2. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
3. What are the other tragedies Lina thinks about as she stays home from work to take care of Granny?
4. What is the plan the Builders have for ensuring the people of Ember can find their way out of the city at the correct time?
5. Where does Doon go to learn about fire and what are some of the things Doon learns about fire?
6. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
7. What are some of the old words and phrases Doon finds in a book in the library and what does the book say they mean?
8. Describe the drawing Lina creates on the back of a can label.
9. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
10. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the attitudes about the people of Ember with regard to their need to reuse and recycle items? What has prompted this attitude? Is there something to be learned from this attitude?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mayor Cole's reaction when Doon voices his belief that the city is in real trouble? Describe Mayor Cole's speech later in the main square. Is Mayor Cole genuinely doing his best for the city? Are Mayor Cole's actions honorable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Assignment Day. How are jobs assigned? What's wrong with this method? What could have been done differently?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)