|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Granny when Lina gets home from the meeting?
2. How old are the children of Ember when they receive their work assignments?
3. What is it about the note that sparks Lina's curiosity?
4. What do the children Lina's age do on Thursdays?
5. Why does Clary say she told Lina to leave when Sadge arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what lies beyond the light from Ember and what people know about that area.
2. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
3. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
4. What does Doon discover when he goes into the generator room on his first lunch break and why is he disappointed?
5. What does Nammy Proggs say to Lina after Lina finds Poppy at Doon's father's store?
6. What is the plan the Builders have for ensuring the people of Ember can find their way out of the city at the correct time?
7. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
8. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
9. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
10. What is Lina's Granny's job and what is she doing on the day Lina comes home from work in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ember come into being? Why is it built? What are the Builders' plans for the city? How do those plans go wrong?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Lina comes to have the instructions for leaving Ember. How does she finally figure out what the instructions mean? How might the lives of the people of Ember have been different if the mayors had completed their duties with regard to handing down the box?
Essay Topic 3
Describe an average day for the residents of Ember. Use information from the book, such as the kinds of messages Lina delivers, as clues to the kinds of lives the people live. `
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)