|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a fact taught by the Book of the City of Ember?
2. What is the food most people in Ember eat almost every day?
3. What time does the light come on the morning of Granny's death?
4. What is on Lina's wall?
5. What is it about the note that sparks Lina's curiosity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
2. Describe the pencils Looper has for sale and Lina's reaction to them.
3. Describe the drawing Lina creates on the back of a can label.
4. What happens when Granny wakes Lina in the middle of the night and what does Lina discover when she wakes the following morning?
5. What does Granny say she saw on her tour of the storerooms as a child and why do children Lina's age not get the opportunity to tour the storerooms?
6. What is Clary's job and what does she give Lina on the day they see the man coming back from the Unknown Regions?
7. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
8. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
9. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
10. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Lina comes to have the instructions for leaving Ember. How does she finally figure out what the instructions mean? How might the lives of the people of Ember have been different if the mayors had completed their duties with regard to handing down the box?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
Essay Topic 3
Describe at least five inhabitants of Ember. How are each important to the city? How are each important to other inhabitants?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)