|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doon say he usually dreams about?
2. What time does the light come on the morning of Granny's death?
3. Who does Nammy Proggs say fixes broken things at her house?
4. What is Doon doing when Lina first sees him in the library?
5. How does the chef builder intend to arrange for the instructions to be found at the proper time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plan the Builders have for ensuring the people of Ember can find their way out of the city at the correct time?
2. What does Doon say about the situation in Ember and what is the Mayor's reaction?
3. What is Clary's job and what does she give Lina on the day they see the man coming back from the Unknown Regions?
4. What is Assignment Day and how are assignments given?
5. What happens when Lina and Doon are trying to figure out a way into the strange door Doon finds in the Pipeworks?
6. What interests Doon so much that he has a book about it, what is the book called, and how does he study this subject?
7. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
8. Why does Lina want to be a messenger and why does Doon want to work in the Pipeworks?
9. What is Mrs. Murdo like and what does Lina like about having her around?
10. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do people believe exists outside the lights of Ember? How do people go about trying to explore that region? What are the results?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main sources of food for the people of Ember? How has that changed over the years? Why has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)