|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lina's first step toward trying to solve the mystery of the note?
2. What does Clary tell Lina to get for Sadge?
3. Where does Lizzie say she was when the big blackout occurred?
4. How does Lina say she believes the people of Ember can reach the city Lina dreams about?
5. What time does Lizzie get off work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Granny wakes Lina in the middle of the night and what does Lina discover when she wakes the following morning?
2. What is the message the mayor gives during the town hall meeting in chapter six and what it the reaction of the people to his message?
3. What is Doon's father's job and how does his job impact Doon's apartment?
4. What are some of the old words and phrases Doon finds in a book in the library and what does the book say they mean?
5. What does Doon discover when he goes into the generator room on his first lunch break and why is he disappointed?
6. What are the clues that the paper from the fancy box was written by the Builders?
7. What does Doon believe he's going to be able to do once he's working in the Pipeworks and why does he believe this?
8. Describe the pencils Looper has for sale and Lina's reaction to them.
9. List at least three of the jobs that are included in the list of jobs given out to Lina, Doon, and their classmates. Briefly described those jobs.
10. Who does Lina show the instructions to first and what is that person's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important setting of the book? Why do you consider this an important setting? Fully describe the setting.
Essay Topic 2
Describe at least five inhabitants of Ember. How are each important to the city? How are each important to other inhabitants?
Essay Topic 3
Describe school in Ember. Compare that to your own school.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)